King Kandy's Super Tourney!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

King Kandy

Blair Wind
Mark me down as interested as a competitor

King Kandy
Alright.

Manga is confirmed.

Omega Vision
I'd like to try my hand at judging.

King Kandy
Go ahead.

Existere
I'll compete

psycho gundam
Originally posted by Blair Wind
Mark me down as interested as a competitor

or judge, i'm kinda busy with projects these days.

maybe if they're partners this time it'll illeviate the burden of scan gathering (i wing it every time)

King Kandy
But you would do so well in this tourney...

psycho gundam
i have a few deadlines, but i'm a can do kind of person.

King Kandy
OK. You'll be a "maybe".

Ambient
Put me down too..

King Kandy
It shall be done.

Competitors so far:

Blair
Ambient
Smurph
Psycho Gundam (maybe)

I'd like to get, at least eight definites.

Badabing
Good luck with the tourny King Kandy. PM me anytime a thread needs pinned, closed, edited, etc.

Digi
I'm signed on as a judge. Good luck to Kandy and whoever enters.

King Kandy
It looks like we have a (possible) darthgoober entrance as well, but i'm waiting for confirmation.

Endless Mike

King Kandy
Originally posted by Endless Mike
How do you define this? Whether an attack can be defended against or not depends not only on the nature of the attack, but on the target. Against a normal human, a salvo of bullets from a machine gun would be "an attack that cannot be defended against". And even if you have an ability like the one in your example, teleporting someone into a solid object, that could be defended against by characters with certain powers (e.g. Shadowcat).
You have to use reason on that kind of thing... you obviously understand what I mean is that it is basically an uncounterable maneuver (even an intangible character could merely survive it, not avoid it). Obviously, the majority of low-herald characters can probably defend against a bullet salvo. The same couldn't be said for say, a soul-suck technique that displays near 100% effectiveness.

Black bolt z
Can I be a judge?

i've tried competeing before and I suck at it sad

King Kandy
Charlotte has signed on as a judge.

Competitors at this point are better than judges, but if you really don't think you're up for it sure.

Black bolt z
Originally posted by King Kandy
Charlotte has signed on as a judge.

Competitors at this point are better than judges, but if you really don't think you're up for it sure. Thanks.

Bentley
I want to judge, I've never played on this before but sadly I only get less and less time to do stuff online lately.

King Kandy
Alright.

psycho gundam
Originally posted by Digi
I'm signed on as a judge. Good luck to Kandy and whoever enters. dang it, i'll have to get you next time

http://img375.imageshack.us/img375/3669/8e837e94bbbc5e1cc41fd39.png

King Kandy
Oh, so are you going to enter after all?

Omega Vision
So do judges outnumber competitors right now?
Originally posted by Black bolt z
Can I be a judge?

i've tried competeing before and I suck at it sad
The only way to get better at something is to practice. I did a lot better on my second tourney than on the first. I still lost, but I was up against two of the greatests debaters on the site. And for a second I actually thought I might beat Smurph.

Then he broke my balls.

psycho gundam
Oh, so are you going to enter after all? still a maybe

for now

King Kandy
Originally posted by Omega Vision
So do judges outnumber competitors right now?
Yeah. I'd really rather for now that people apply as contestants (though I guess there's nothing wrong with a surplus of judges... after all, people won't always be available).

Bentley
Leo isn't around either? Sadly some of the random competition got slowly but steadly banned.

King Kandy
I PMed Leo but haven't gotten a reply.

rader
I would like to join as a competitor. I'll pm you to see if my picks will be allowed in the draft.

Black bolt z

The only way to get better at something is to practice. I did a lot better on my second tourney than on the first. I still lost, but I was up against two of the greatests debaters on the site. And for a second I actually thought I might beat Smurph.

Then he broke my balls. I haven't done this in three years so i'll watch and judge before I try to do it myself.I'm not good with what you might call strategy.

What else did you except against smurph? laughing out loud

King Kandy
New Rule:

Telepathy is allowed, but no mind control, or anything that would be under the OHK rule (for instance, information overload type abilities).

Rulings:

King Kandy
Competitors as of now:

1. Blair
2. Smurph
3. Psycho Gundam (maybe)
4. Ambient
5. Darthgoober (maybe)
6. Rader

Digi
Creepy pic there, PG. Looks like a nice cast of entrants.

King Kandy
A little bit on the short side.

Black bolt z
A little bit on the short side. Can I judge and participate?I need a loophole biscuits

King Kandy
No i'm afraid that would be a definite conflict of interest. But if you wanted to switch to contestant I wouldn't mind that.

Black bolt z
No i'm afraid that would be a definite conflict of interest. But if you wanted to switch to contestant I wouldn't mind that. Unfortunatly no.I'll definitly try this time but for now I would perfer to observe.

Any idea when this might be?

King Kandy
It's dependent on getting people enlisted... go tell your friends or something.

Bentley
Dang, this is lame, it seems as the most obvious moment for me to get started but I certainly cannot dedicate enough time to make my part noteworthy.

How is the elimination process btw? Groups? Robin rounds? Straight elimination? Redrafts? (should I just go ahead and read the pages before?)

King Kandy
No, good question. I'm probably going to do straight DEs/Brackets. But if we have real low turnout, we may do pools.

Ambient
So would someone like Absorbing Man falls into rule 11 - no copying powers?

King Kandy
Definitely. He's pretty much the definition.

Darth decided not to join. We need more people.

Omega Vision
I participated in the last two. I'd like to sit this one out.

King Kandy
Do you know people who might be interested? We need to give out invites.

Omega Vision
Do you know people who might be interested? We need to give out invites.
You mean besides the people who frequent the Versus forum? Not really. sad

Ambient
Definitely. He's pretty much the definition.

Darth decided not to join. We need more people.
Gotcha! I was thinking this guy http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grunge_%28comics%29#Powers_and_abilities image version..

too bad..

Badabing
Do you know people who might be interested? We need to give out invites. jalek moye, Charlotte Debel, Pr, Jake, Id, Galen, Philosphia, Mungi.

The Nuul
I'll be the mascot.

jalek moye
Originally posted by Badabing
jalek moye, Charlotte Debel, Pr, Jake, Id, Galen, Philosphia, Mungi.

does this mean you believe in me?! w00t

The Nuul
Yo, where did dat playa Jake run too?

Badabing
Originally posted by jalek moye
does this mean you believe in me?! w00t You handled yourself in matches I judged.

King Kandy
Originally posted by jalek moye
does this mean you believe in me?! w00t
Oh, would you like to enlist? Please do.

Colossus-Big C
i'll compete here

Black bolt z
Originally posted by Colossus-Big C
i'll compete here Hmmm...I might actually win that match if I competed.

The Nuul
Then join.

King Kandy
i'll compete here
Sounds good.

Black bolt z
Originally posted by The Nuul
Then join. Well its not even as much that i'm going to lose as that I don't know how it works.

psycho gundam
Hmmm...I might actually win that match if I competed. Originally posted by Black bolt z
Well its not even as much that i'm going to lose as that I don't know how it works.

Black bolt z
Originally posted by psycho gundam
.... Against big-C it doesn't matter if I know how to play or not.shifty He always loses.

Blair Wind
How it Works:

You draft a certain number of comic book/manga characters in a round of drafting set up by Kandy.

You then use those three character to debate why they would win against your opponents. You can come up with any advancements you wish during prep so long as they comply with Kandy's rules and then apply them to any strategy you want to use to defeat your opponent.

It is rather simple really. Just read previous battles to see how the process works.

Black bolt z
How it Works:

You draft a certain number of comic book/manga characters in a round of drafting set up by Kandy.

You then use those three character to debate why they would win against your opponents. You can come up with any advancements you wish during prep so long as they comply with Kandy's rules and then apply them to any strategy you want to use to defeat your opponent.

It is rather simple really. Just read previous battles to see how the process works. But see I see stuff like this....

Digi Post #1

My GG post follows this one.

Sorry you were disappointed in my opening strategy PG. Because I'm thrilled with it.

I. Drainer Nonsense

1. PG doesn't have a scan of it working through any kind of thick material. I know because I both browsed his scans and also called him out on it in our earlier match. 25 meters is thicker than most buildings, wider than an average house, and there's no empty space in the middle. It's solid all the way through. It didn't work before, and I'm not sure why he thinks it'll work this time. So, PG spends most of the fight underwater firing the drainer at a giant ice block. Awesome.

2. There's also no evidence for it being omni-directional. It's a gun, you point it. So ignore the frankly false pictures he drew. They aren't scans, they aren't evidence, and they don't match the evidence.

3. Let's say you think the gun's affect can get through the ice (though there's no reason to). At the very least he's reducing its range and potency to the point of being worthless.

4. I will never be anywhere he can easily hit, and will always have the element of surprise because spider-sense will alert me to their teleports in time for me to either get away or attack them before they even materialize.

II. Robot Dies Easily

Is this guy a joke? Alright, so this is a low meta tourney. So what would Titanium Man be (an Iron man villain)? Mid meta at worst. Observe:
http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/4156/amazingspiderman08531wj3.jpg
and
http://img520.imageshack.us/img520/9813/feat14strengthmr2.jpg
and
http://img163.imageshack.us/img163/5051/amazingspiderman09531ax6.jpg

PG has one of two robot units teleporting around, and the other is harboring Pip/Harrow underwater. Frankly, a single Spider-Man punch would take the little one's head off...you saw what it was doing to Titanium Man, who can tank Iron Man attacks.

So basically, the robot teleports in, I know about it before it happens, and Pete takes his head off and crushes his body before he gets an attack off. People in the Invincible universe are not on the same power levels as Marvel and DC.

III. Precognition

First, this:
http://img85.imageshack.us/img85/6668/feat27sswe5.jpg

Now, precognition, by its very definition, means that you know something before it happens. Last week's Amazing Spider-Man quoted Pete as saying he had 2 seconds notice before a particular attack. You or I can rumble off a jump, a couple kicks, or 4-5 punches in 2 seconds. Spider-Man, who is (pre-upgrade) 40x human reflexes, can do dozens of things.

So if they try to teleport to me, the full brunt of my attacks will be brought to bear on them before they materialize. And anything they attack me with, be it a physical attack or pulse of some sort, will be swallowed by my spot-shield, which I made big enough to crouch behind and cover my entire body.

Environmental disturbance?! Erm, wut? Anyway, the drainer emits a pulse. Pulses travel in a single direction. I will swallow anything coming directly toward me into the shield. Will the other aspect of the pulse (the ones not hitting me) continue in a straight line like logic dictates, or defy reason by looping back around and hitting me in the back? Child, please.

Spider-Man wasn't hurt because it was Spot attacking him, who has human-level physical stats. You missed my point entirely. The point was to show that Spot can hit SM multiple times, who is WAY faster than your team, and that each of those attacks will be capable of killing you.

So...you're firing the drainer up into the ice, yeah? And you will have no way knowing if I teleport an attack below you that explodes you, gores you, etc. So what's stopping a spot from materializing under you bum and having a pumpkin bomb hurtle through it? Or any number of other attacks? Nothing stops it. Sorry, but you get pumpkin-raped.

Hey, you found some offense that wasn't the drainer. Congrats! (Judges, these are his only two attacks that I can see). Problem being, if "Unit02" is close to enough to my guy to use this, he's already dead, as explained above.

Spots + spider-sense = infinite initiative. Even if you only believe some of what I'm selling (I strive to justify all of it, however), my speed, senses, and mode of transportation and attack means that I will always dictate the terms of engagement. And in this match, that spells doom for the other team.

Misc.

He showed a scan of the big robot firing a missile. Which gives me the chance to post this awesomesauce:
http://img129.imageshack.us/img129/5618/feat10speed1tz6.jpg

More futility from the PG camp.

And I'm just beginning, because I've only been using 2/3 of my amalgam thus far. Originally posted by psycho gundam
Lulz at everything just now.

The drainer is a gun? since when? I lol'd for real, then face palmed.

You keep equating my characters to something Spider-man has faced when in actuality they are unique characters, that should be obvious.

"1. PG doesn't have a scan of it working through any kind of thick material. I know because I both browsed his scans and also called him out on it in our earlier match. 25 meters is thicker than most buildings, wider than an average house, and there's no empty space in the middle. It's solid all the way through. It didn't work before, and I'm not sure why he thinks it'll work this time. So, PG spends most of the fight underwater firing the drainer at a giant ice block. Awesome."

^ I honestly didn't remember that transpiring, meh. Thickness maters not when the issue is radiation. Water is simply not a useful means of shielding it, which is an understatement regarding the sheer power of the drainer. Again, Sentry was victim to it.

Defeating unit02 is okay with me actually, let's unit01 get you for sure since unit02 can't fly. You'd have to be next to him whole or in part to defeat him which puts you in the drainer's influence.

"Spider-Man wasn't hurt because it was Spot attacking him, who has human-level physical stats. You missed my point entirely. The point was to show that Spot can hit SM multiple times, who is WAY faster than your team, and that each of those attacks will be capable of killing you."

^ Drainer bud, you can only hope to fight one of my suits, the decoy.
Unit01's stronger anyway.

This post-for-post shit is annoying, it's mostly me rehashing the drainer someway when the scans say it all. Your guys can't touch my amalgam legitimately, plus the ice barrier is a big obstacle for you not me.

The meager ice thickness stopping radiation part was a funny one though, my old collage schoolmate that works with Greenpeace would love to hear that one.

Spider-sense doesn't get triggered by the drainer

http://img689.imageshack.us/img689/4001/newavengers055mrshepher.jpg

http://img690.imageshack.us/img690/4001/newavengers055mrshepher.jpg

http://img94.imageshack.us/img94/4001/newavengers055mrshepher.jpg

^ i hope Chemistro's gun is not being confused with anything here, he never even fired it to inspire that conclusion :/

And it scares the crap out of for how much that is.

King Kandy
Well there's no post limit here so smaller posts will probably be more normal.

"Id"

King Kandy
Well, you responded at least.

Blair Wind
Darth is trying to find a way to compete

King Kandy
Yeah, he PMed me. I'm happy to have him even if it's at less than full potential.

Omega Vision
Yeah, he PMed me. I'm happy to have him even if it's at less than full potential.
Even a less than well fed Darth Goober can solo half the competitors so far arrayed here. biscuits

psycho gundam
i'll compete if i get a partner in crime, i can't stay away from these things

(i'm looking straight at goob)

Existere

Then he broke my balls. Heh... it's funny, because as I recall, the judges were making you out to be the better debater with the worse drafts. So I'd say you held your own. Originally posted by Black bolt z
But see I see stuff like this.... Which seems really overwhelming and intimidating, but a big reason for coming across like that is because it was one of the later matches of the tournament- Digi (a tourney vet, who knows the ropes as well as anybody) had eased into the tourney format, seen PG in a previous match and was just getting into the swing of things.

Take a look at opening matches of tournaments, and you'll see that people start off a lot slower. Once everybody really starts to get into a 'tournament mindset' towards the middle-end of the tourney, things start moving a bit faster and heavier, but by then you'll be keeping pace too.

In these things, you set out to write a short, sweet post, and finish ten minutes later with a full blown essay. It's kinda ridonk, and Digi might be the worst for it, but it doesn't feel nearly so overwhelming as a competitor.

King Kandy
i'll compete if i get a partner in crime, i can't stay away from these things

(i'm looking straight at goob)
Sorry, it's singles. But that's what you did last time, so surely it will be no trouble?

Omega Vision
Originally posted by Existere
Heh... it's funny, because as I recall, the judges were making you out to be the better debater with the worse drafts. So I'd say you held your own.
If it had gone on any longer you would have had to resort to bfr. stick out tongue

Digi
@ black bolt -

The tourney you alluded to had a post limit, so we had to squeeze as much as possible into every post. That said, you will need to be prepared for all kinds of plans, strategies, and counter-plans in order to win. This sounds harder than it actually is, because it's a bit more intuitive when you have an opponent's arguments to counter.

And tbh, most people lose early in their first tournaments. There have been, and will be, exceptions, but it's a lot of fun and everyone gets better as they compete more. So if you're curious, enter. The worst that'll happen is Smurph or somebody will hand you your ass, everyone will tell you what you did well and/or need to improve on, and you'll be 1000% more ready for your next attempts. And at best, you upset some people and have a great time.

Also, as Smurph mentioned, mine might not have been the best posts to look at for comfort. There's debaters that are as good as or better than me, but I'm probably the most guilty of having complex and intricate posts. PG is a better example of how some incoherent rants can get you to a tourney final.

fdog

Digi (a tourney vet, who knows the ropes as well as anybody)

cool

It's kinda ridonk, and Digi might be the worst for it

mad

King Kandy
mad
You have to admit, you have created some of the most convoluted plans ever (like in batdude's 1st tourney)...

Black bolt z
@ black bolt -

The tourney you alluded to had a post limit, so we had to squeeze as much as possible into every post. That said, you will need to be prepared for all kinds of plans, strategies, and counter-plans in order to win. This sounds harder than it actually is, because it's a bit more intuitive when you have an opponent's arguments to counter.

And tbh, most people lose early in their first tournaments. There have been, and will be, exceptions, but it's a lot of fun and everyone gets better as they compete more. So if you're curious, enter. The worst that'll happen is Smurph or somebody will hand you your ass, everyone will tell you what you did well and/or need to improve on, and you'll be 1000% more ready for your next attempts. And at best, you upset some people and have a great time.

Also, as Smurph mentioned, mine might not have been the best posts to look at for comfort. There's debaters that are as good as or better than me, but I'm probably the most guilty of having complex and intricate posts. PG is a better example of how some incoherent rants can get you to a tourney final.

fdog

cool

mad I know its harder as I did some a few years ago.

I have no problem with losing.Its more that i'd like to sit and watch the first time to get the jist of it.

Also: Smurph would hand be my ass....on a silver platter....with a side of chocolate syrup.

King Kandy
Just join already. It'll round out the numbers.

Currently:

1. Blair
2. Smurph
3. Psycho Gundam
4. Ambient
5. Darthgoober
6. Rader
7. Colossus Big-C

Omega Vision
I know its harder as I did some a few years ago.

I have no problem with losing.Its more that i'd like to sit and watch the first time to get the jist of it.

Also: Smurph would hand be my ass....on a silver platter....with a side of chocolate syrup.
I think if you don't feel like you're ready to enter a tourney then you wouldn't have much business judging for one. That's just my take.

And as I said before you won't learn much without actually participating.

Digi
You have to admit, you have created some of the most convoluted plans ever (like in batdude's 1st tourney)...

lol, agreed entirely. I will contend, however, that my plans haven't been any more far-fetched than MANY others from the likes of leo, Scoob, Blair, etc. Many of us dislike such insanity, myself among them, but we have to scale our plans to the competition. A lot of that ridiculousness was brought about from necessity because if loopholes exist in tourney rules, they will be used, and others will have to adjust or lose. And most times, a preemptive exploitation of such strategies is best. But if you watch tourneys, a lot of strategies tend to form similarities to each other as they progress, whether it's herald (you copied 3 powers? we copied 9!), or the recent meta one where everyone ended up with a teleporter by the end of it because it was the most powerful "gimmick" power that wasn't banned under the format.

That's why if I ever ran another tournament it would be the most bland tourney ever. No prep, no loopholes, no crazy powers, just debate. It would be like "you get Batman in a white room, and you're facing Punisher. Go."

Though for the record, I think my plans in batdude's tourney were tame compared to my team's stuff in delph's low meta tourney, or a few that leo and Blair have pulled out of their asses. The leo/Smurph Final of Insanity comes to mind...millisecond destruction of the universe. Or something. I didn't really understand it. Of mine, Minion Prime has to be my favorite, but that was also more justified with scans than some of the others.

And as I said before you won't learn much without actually participating.

Disagree. If you're actually following matches, and reading them as if you were participating/judging, you'll learn a lot. Experience is indeed the best teacher, but it's not the only one. Do what you're comfortable with, black bolt. I've learned as much from watching/judging/hosting as I have from participating.

To that end, what is this, a high meta tourney? I haven't looked at the rules. Anyway, there exists a respect thread for a reason. Great place to research characters, strategies, and debates.

http://www.killermovies.com/forums/f105/t443343.html

King Kandy
Though for the record, I think my plans in batdude's tourney were tame compared to my team's stuff in delph's low meta tourney, or a few that leo and Blair have pulled out of their asses. The leo/Smurph Final of Insanity comes to mind. Of mine, Minion Prime has to be my favorite, but that was also more justified with scans than some of the others.
That was a tourney I had a lot of fun in. Compare Leo's low meta with delphs:

Leos: My guys teleport, maybe depower you, and then beat you up.

Delphs: My guys drop planet exploding missiles on enemies surrounded in a million degree plasma vortex.

Actually, I was pretty proud of the whole rock-nuke scheme, to the point where it was so obviously the best tactic our team could do that we kept doing it match after match. Amazing what differences just having different rules and competitors make.

Disagree. If you're actually following matches, and reading them as if you were participating/judging, you'll learn a lot. Experience is indeed the best teacher, but it's not the only one. Do what you're comfortable with, black bolt. I've learned as much from watching/judging/hosting as I have from participating.
Shush, don't encourage him! I need an eighth participant! wink

psycho gundam
PG is a better example of how some incoherent rants can get you to a tourney final.

fdog

i have your number

cool

Digi
Man, **** that rock-nuke thing. Every match became pseudo-science attempts to endorse or debunk it. Worst/best strategy ever.

no expression

I think the only other person to effectively use a single (main) tactic to win matches was Scoob, with the anti-gravity infinite Bigfoot growth via Pym particles. It didn't change the entire tourney, though he did luck out that no one drafted telepaths.

i have your number

cool

Lotta good it'll do you. I may be retired forever.

King Kandy
Man, **** that rock-nuke thing. Every match became pseudo-science attempts to endorse or debunk it. Worst/best strategy ever.

no expression
What I really like is that Blair kept using the Plasma vortex match after match, only to have it rejected each time by the judges. I think it took until the fourth match or so that they got the majority to believe it.

psycho gundam
Lotta good it'll do you. I may be retired forever. WHEN you come back, i'm going to ivan drago your ass

"I must break you no expression "

Digi
What I really like is that Blair kept using the Plasma vortex match after match, only to have it rejected each time by the judges. I think it took until the fourth match or so that they got the majority to believe it.

Blah, I hated that tourney.

but judges are a harsh mistress. I mentioned Minion Prime. Knowing I'd make the playoffs after the round robin, I had a list of all judges and how they felt about it. The number who were confident in it would determine whether or not I would use it in the playoffs. I had a healthy majority, so I went with it instead of scrapping it and trying a completely different plan. Then after a LOT of judge no-shows or dropouts, I got two judges mid-match (one brand new one who was never used in the round robin) who had never seen Minion in my matches. Needless to say, it went over badly. It was so demoralizing laying the groundwork for it for weeks, then knowing it would fail with the judge turnover. There were literally posts in my earlier matches that were intended solely to win judges over for the playoffs, and had nothing to do with the match it was in. It was no one's fault that it ended how it did, but was demoralizing.

Blair Wind

:sigh: DarkCrawler kept using that argument. I barely did anything that tournament, I was too busy and let him argue it. I just tried arguing that even without all the gimmicks that DC was adding on, she still exploded stuff at the sub-atomic level. It should have been enough erm

But yes, I am known for my "pushing the limits" strategies. I've tried to tone it down a bit in the past few tournaments though.

Black bolt z
I think if you don't feel like you're ready to enter a tourney then you wouldn't have much business judging for one. That's just my take.

And as I said before you won't learn much without actually participating. Well what a judge does is look at all the evidence and decide which side has presented their case better correct?I can do that.And I'll definitly particiapate in the next one.I'd just like to watch first.

inimalist
oh shit, can I sign up as a contestant? or did I miss it?

Omega Vision
Originally posted by inimalist
I'm pretty sure its still open for new contestants.

psycho gundam
Well what a judge does is look at all the evidence and decide which side has presented their case better correct?I can do that.And I'll definitly particiapate in the next one.I'd just like to watch first. you can watch without judging you know

just sayin

King Kandy
No, no, please do sign up! There's room for you. And with you, we now have eight contestants. Would people be fine moving on to drafts soon?

psycho gundam
i didn't commit yet

King Kandy
Then commit already, lol!

dadudemon
I'm not really interested as there are too many "can't" rules.

I'll observe.

King Kandy
Originally posted by dadudemon
I'm not really interested as there are too many "can't" rules.

I'll observe.
Alright. Just so you know, tournaments without many "can't" rules generally descend into lunacy pretty fast.

Black bolt z
Alright. Just so you know, tournaments without many "can't" rules generally descend into lunacy pretty fast. This is true.Ex: If I were to choose eragon as one of my people,then anyone that didn't have defense against magic would die instantly.

Omega Vision
This is true.Ex: If I were to choose eragon as one of my people,then anyone that didn't have defense against magic would die instantly.
Not really. I'm pretty sure the rule is that he can only do the insta death thing on people weaker than he is. And since this is a Low Herald tourament pretty much everyone here would be stronger.

Black bolt z
Not really. I'm pretty sure the rule is that he can only do the insta death thing on people weaker than he is. And since this is a Low Herald tourament pretty much everyone here would be stronger. I don't think thats the rule.But this isn't the thread to discuss this.

Digi
Alright. Just so you know, tournaments without many "can't" rules generally descend into lunacy pretty fast.

^ This. Chances are, you won't find a completely wide-open tournament unless the host is a newcomer to the tourney scene. Or delph. Dude seems to revel in the chaos.

fdog

Blair Wind
So, how many competitors are listed as competing right now?

illadelph12
I saw that you son of a *****!!!

King Kandy
So, how many competitors are listed as competing right now?

1. Rader
2. Blair
3. Smurph
4. inimalist
5. Collosus Big-C
6. Darthgoober
7. Ambient

Psycho Gundam confirmed that he won't be able to compete. So we need one more, then we can start.

dadudemon
^ This. Chances are, you won't find a completely wide-open tournament unless the host is a newcomer to the tourney scene. Or delph. Dude seems to revel in the chaos.

fdog

It's just easier to debate and win when there's more options. If it lasts 2 pages because someone thought of a good character, so be it.

It seems that no matter what I would think of, low-herald, it would get pushed out because of one of the many rules. That narrows down the list to almost nothing as I could think of "laweristic" ways to exclude just about anything people can think of...besides very very linear and basic characters.

If that's the point of these debates, then maybe I should see it take place. Maybe...just maybe...something "delicious" will take place.

King Kandy
It's just easier to debate and win when there's more options. If it lasts 2 pages because someone thought of a good character, so be it.

It seems that no matter what I would think of, low-herald, it would get pushed out because of one of the many rules. That narrows down the list to almost nothing as I could think of "laweristic" ways to exclude just about anything people can think of...besides very very linear and basic characters.

If that's the point of these debates, then maybe I should see it take place. Maybe...just maybe...something "delicious" will take place.
2 pages is nothing. With no posting limits, 10 pages wouldn't be excessive. It's not about the amount of debate, it's about the kind. You can have debate about well reasoned plans, or you can have debate about which character destroys the universe first (and this HAS happened).

Blair Wind

2 pages? confused

Have you looked at some past tournaments held around here?

There have been other tournaments with harsher rules that have produced page upon page of debate, and while Digi might prefer your way of viewing this tournaments (bland characters with no powerset) I can assure you, people come up with weird characters that no one thought of before to be the most creative you can within the set rules.

Existere

If that's the point of these debates, then maybe I should see it take place. Maybe...just maybe...something "delicious" will take place. Too many options is chaos. I see where you're coming from, as I'm pretty sure we all do, but it's been tried and just amounts to headaches, and pissy moods about ridiculous plans. Too much freedom in drafting pretty much misses and/or eliminates the reason that I attend these things, which is to have a concentrated session of solid debating, and really coming down to the wire to find out who's plan and presentation is better.

'Let the structure set you free'

You should take a look at the tourney respect thread, and see some of the more recent tourney matches if you haven't already.

psycho gundam
i probably had the weakest team in tournament history, at least in terms of power, so it's powssible to win at least one match *shrugs*

Digi
Don't let the rules fool you. Some excitingly creative strategies will crop up. I don't know the rules or the exact format yet (other than low herald) but I can assure you that's the case. The trick is always coming up with the most lethal strat that works within the rules. Every host and rule set still gives you something to work with.

wink

2 pages? confused

Have you looked at some past tournaments held around here?

There have been other tournaments with harsher rules that have produced page upon page of debate, and while Digi might prefer your way of viewing this tournaments (bland characters with no powerset) I can assure you, people come up with weird characters that no one thought of before to be the most creative you can within the set rules.

I don't prefer blandness necessarily. Only if I were host. I'm as comfortable finding insanity as anyone, and don't mind a little bit of it. But a tourney with almost no rules or limits would be excessive, imo.

As for post limits, as a judge I will respect those that don't abuse the unlimited post option. Shorter posts, longer posts, doesn't really matter, but everyone should be able to get their ideas across without resorting simply to quantity.

Blair Wind

I don't prefer blandness necessarily. Only if I were host. I'm as comfortable finding insanity as anyone, and don't mind a little bit of it. But a tourney with almost no rules or limits would be excessive, imo.

Yes. You do no expression

stick out tongue

Badabing
Don't let the rules fool you. Some excitingly creative strategies will crop up. I don't know the rules or the exact format yet (other than low herald) but I can assure you that's the case. The trick is always coming up with the most lethal strat that works within the rules. Every host and rule set still gives you something to work with.

wink

As for post limits, as a judge I will respect those that don't abuse the unlimited post option. Shorter posts, longer posts, doesn't really matter, but everyone should be able to get their ideas across without resorting simply to quantity. Originally posted by Blair Wind
Yes. You do no expression

stick out tongue I now understand Digi...

biscuits

Black bolt z
Originally posted by Badabing
I now understand Digi...

biscuits I now understand you.

King Kandy
Alright, given that it seems unlikely an 8th competitor is going to turn up now, how about we do it this way:

7 are in round robin for a few rounds, then the 3 lowest performers are dropped, while the top four move to DEs?

rader
I'm down with whatever.

inimalist

rader
just some questions off after reading through:

I hate to show how much of a noob to this I am, but could you list a couple more people in this range just so I have an idea?

Low: Absorbing Man, Air Walker, Animal Man, Apocalypse, Apollo, Argent, The Atom, Aztek, Bizarro Superman, Breach, Cassandra Nova, Cir-El, Count Nefaria, Damage, Darkness, Darwin, Death's Head 3.0, Death Metal, Dr. Doom, Dr. Invincible, Dr. Light, Dr. Polaris, Drax The Destroyer, Engineer, Etrigan, Exodus, Fin Fang Foom, Firestorm, The Flash II (Barry Allen), Gammid, Gamora (w/Godslayer), Ganondorf, Gilgamesh, Gorilla Grodd, Graviton, Green Lantern (Soranik Natu), He-Man, Hector Hammond, Hulk, Iceman, Isis, Jade, Jack Hawksmoor (in city), Jack of Hearts, Jericho, Juggernaut (Classic), Kalibak, Lightray, Living Monolith, Lunatik, Magneto, Major Force, Makkari, Man-Beast, Manchester Black, Mar-Vell, Matrix Supergirl, Meggan, Mongul, Monica Rambeau (Pulsar), Mr. M, Nova (Frankie Raye), Nova Richard Rider (current), Plastic Man, Prime, Professor X, Raven, The Ray, Red Tornado, Ronan the Accuser, Saturn Girl, Selene (External), Sersi, Shadow King, Shaman, Starhawk, Super Skrull, Superboy, Tempest, Ultra Boy, Ultra-Humanite, Ultron, Union, Vulcan, Winter, Zauriel.
At least that's the general concensus. King Kandy said it'll be put up to a vote

Question: Longshot? please?
Prolly not. Luck powers seem like they'd be difficult to handle. From what I gathered, they're generally not allowed.

King Kandy
would combatants have access to the materials at their home base? ie: would batman or mr fantastic have access to their computers? Or, could Tony Stark and Bruce Wayne team up for 20 min and pimp out Stark's armor?
Yes, they would.

Insta-kill: what about something that is more of an "unavoidable disabler", so like I selected plant man in another tourney, and had him grow the spores that all people have in their lungs in all of the other team (who all had human anatomy). This wouldn't "kill" any of the oponents, but it is an instantanious and unavoidable way that the entire other team is disabled. If the drainer, from the last tourney, was omni directional, I think it might fall into this same grey zone...

I guess sort of related to the other question, what about offensive teleportation? could I select blink and hydroman and teleport water into people's blood or lungs? this isn't insta-kill... technically...
Those are both insta-kill. Something that completely disables the opponents team is the same thing. Rather, I suppose it should have been no insta-WIN tactics, since killing isn't really the only factor.

will combatants know the battlefield during prep time?
Yes, however they will not know their opponents.

if a strategy is found to be "problematic", will the offending party get a chance to appeal (you know, in case it is more of a matter of someone picking a really good strategy vs an abuse?)
Yeah, it will be a product of general consensus after debate whether a new rule is needed (though the final decision is mine, i'm more concerned with what the participants thinks).

Question: Longshot? please?

EDIT: is power absorbtion (rogue for instance) the same as power duplication?
I see no problem with luck manipulation, as long as you can prove the character's exact capabilities with it.

If the character gets the powers of the opponent, it is against the rules (so no rogue). If the character drains the opponent, but does not copy the powers, it complies with the rules (so the power-negater that psycho used would be fine.

King Kandy
Draft 1:

Will begin on tuesday.
Will begin at 5:00 pacific time.

Contestants will send a single draft pick to me via PM, where I will do a "first consideration" of whether to accept them or not. If they pass, I will post the draft choice in the draft thread, anonymously, and contestants will have a chance to debate whether it should be accepted or not. If a strong case is made that the character should not be accepted, the contestant will have to pick a new character (which will again be given via PM).

Blair Wind
Interesting. The only time Ive ever been on the West Coast will be this week, so at least my timing will be right. Hopefully I have some kind of internet access while Im there.

psycho gundam
I see no problem with luck manipulation, as long as you can prove the character's exact capabilities with it. shamrock (irish superhero from contest of champions ) should be one of the illegal characters with that power

less headaches

King Kandy
shamrock (irish superhero from contest of champions ) should be one of the illegal characters with that power

less headaches
I fail to see anything wrong with her.

inimalist
I see no problem with luck manipulation, as long as you can prove the character's exact capabilities with it.

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSS
SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!

lol, not even sure I'm going to use one, most luck manip characters would be demolished in low herald fights... but that luck technology Amos Fortune has... mix that with starktech during the 20 min prep... wink

EDIT: you might want to think about it though, as luck manip almost gives contestants the ability to use and invent PIS as an argument

inimalist
Draft 1:

Will begin on tuesday.
Will begin at 5:00 pacific time.

you want picks before or after this?

King Kandy
Start messaging me your official submissions at 5:00. If you want to ask preliminary questions before that, go ahead.

Colossus-Big C
Start messaging me your official submissions at 5:00. If you want to ask preliminary questions before that, go ahead. can you give like a short example?

Omega Vision
can you give like a short example?
Here:
http://www.killermovies.com/forums/f105/t528301.html

The first two posts are examples of submissions.

King Kandy
can you give like a short example?

Example:

I'm going to draft "Character A", from Marvel comics. Here's an attached bio.

Message me like that.

psycho gundam
Here:
http://www.killermovies.com/forums/f105/t528301.html

The first two posts are examples of submissions. you got "ruined" in that one

Omega Vision
you got "ruined" in that one
What can I say, Wolverine+Iron Fist=running at Mach 1. I only had Deathstroke who as we know can't hope to even see someone traveling at Mach 1 or above. durlaugh

rader
Pacific time is 1:24am right now, right?

King Kandy
Yeah, it was 1:24 for me when you wrote that.

Black bolt z
Wait so what time would it be in flordia?I don't know the time zones...

Omega Vision
Wait so what time would it be in flordia?I don't know the time zones...
Eastern Time is Pacific time +3 hours.

Though assuming you have your personal forum time zone set right it should tell you when he made his post in your time.

Black bolt z
OK so 8:00 PM my time of tuesday?Got it.Thanks

King Kandy
Yeah, that's right.

Black bolt z
Yeah, that's right. I had to do my homework early to be here for it uhuh

Omega Vision
Hear that KK? Your tourney makes kids do their homework.

Now if only it could make them eat their veggies and say their prayers before bed.

Black bolt z
Hear that KK? Your tourney makes kids do their homework.

Now if only it could make them eat their veggies and say their prayers before bed. Veggies but no prayers.

King Kandy
New Rule: Nobody with a Fabian Cortez type ability. Just don't go there.

inimalist

rader
Well that's defensible. Especially with 20 minutes prep. Good luck finding a low herald who moves ftl though.

inimalist
Originally posted by rader
Well that's defensible. Especially with 20 minutes prep. Good luck finding a low herald who moves ftl though.

your point proves it though

since so few people move at FTL, it inherently becomes undefensible

the important point being that, KK said my "grow spores" move would be illegal. Technically, it is defensible, such as, if a character had non-human anatomy or some other form of plant control, but since it is essentially indefensible, it is illegal

FTL attacks are, pretty much, indefensible

though, speedsters should be allowed to use them to avoid attacks, trasnport people, etc

If FTL attacks are allowed, I should be allowed to thin people's blood

King Kandy
FTL speedblitz is a physical attack. It can be defended from in a variety of ways (comparable speed, great durability, anyone with intangibility powers), and these are powers that are in no way unusual. People to be able to bring large physical strength and speed to survive isn't unreasonable. The expectation that people should need plant-manipulating powers to survive IS unreasonable, there is unlikely to even be such a character besides the one inducing the growth to begin with.

inimalist
so would power cosmic also be banned?

inimalist
just a note, I'm not trying to be difficult or anything, just trying to clarify. I might be focusing too much on the writ of the rules, but it is what I do...

King Kandy
so would power cosmic also be banned?
No, though certain uses of it may be.

inimalist
cool

I'm sure I'll come up with something else, lol smile

Digi
Energy manip. ftw so far! I can't wait to see the arbitrary scan wars as I have to decide who absorbs whom.

Omega Vision
your point proves it though

since so few people move at FTL, it inherently becomes undefensible

the important point being that, KK said my "grow spores" move would be illegal. Technically, it is defensible, such as, if a character had non-human anatomy or some other form of plant control, but since it is essentially indefensible, it is illegal

FTL attacks are, pretty much, indefensible

though, speedsters should be allowed to use them to avoid attacks, trasnport people, etc

If FTL attacks are allowed, I should be allowed to thin people's blood
There's a good number of Low Heralds capable of FTL:

Ultra Boy, Makkari, Lightray, Flash (though he's not really Low Herald anymore), Bizarro Superman, and Apollo (I think) to name a few.

King Kandy
Energy manip. ftw so far! I can't wait to see the arbitrary scan wars as I have to decide who absorbs whom.
Eh, it's fair play. Just keep in mind that if in a specific case energy absorption would entail power copying, it cannot be done.

"Id"
For this tourny I would opt out, and use magicians as oppose to tech savy or energy manipulators.

Specifically Spawn, and the likes. peaches

Digi
Eh, it's fair play.

I understand. Just an amusing trend so far, and inevitably where a few matches will lead.

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>