Mantis Vs Annihilus

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Prep-Man
Old school Mantis here.

http://media.comicvine.com/uploads/6/64422/1297230-mantis_004_large.jpg

vs

http://media.comicvine.com/uploads/0/77/148572-190411-annihilus_large.jpg

Black bolt z
Oh I thought you meant celestial madonna.Annihilus takes this.

dmills
Annihilus

Stoic
Originally posted by dmills
Annihilus

Johnny Sorrow
Originally posted by Black bolt z
Oh I thought you meant celestial madonna.Annihilus takes this.

Originally posted by dmills
Annihilus

facepalm

Old school Mantis drains him and tosses him aside.

Omega Vision
If we're talking PC Mantis then Annihilus gets his shit pushed in. The guy went toe to toe with SA Superman and drained Hal Jordan's ring (or maybe it was his battery) with ease.

Stoic
Originally posted by Omega Vision
If we're talking PC Mantis then Annihilus gets his shit pushed in. The guy went toe to toe with SA Superman and drained Hal Jordan's ring (or maybe it was his battery) with ease.

Then it would depend on what was more powerful, the cosmic control rod or Mantis' energy drain, just keep in mind, that Anni not only drained the Quantum field, but he also ate Quasar.

Prep-Man

He also tossed Dr. Fate aside like he was nothing.

Stoic
you know those magic types though, they have extreme highs one second, and the next extreme lows.

Prep-Man
He's also punked Hal and Orion. When has Dr. Fate had any lows?

So is this the pre-crisis version?

Omega Vision
Originally posted by Stoic
you know those magic types though, they have extreme highs one second, and the next extreme lows.
This is the most retarded argument on the entire forum, and yet it crops up everywhere.

Just because Fate wasn't always at his dimension/Universe busting levels doesn't mean pwning him isn't an impressive feat because you don't want it to be.

-K-M-
SHAMELESS PLUG!!!!!

http://www.killermovies.com/forums/f98/t480775.html

Prep-Man
Sweet.

Stoic
This is the most retarded argument on the entire forum, and yet it crops up everywhere.

Just because Fate wasn't always at his dimension/Universe busting levels doesn't mean pwning him isn't an impressive feat because you don't want it to be.

What I meant was, how easily it would be to walk up to Dr. Strange or Fate, and unexpectedly KO them with far less than it would take to KO Spiderman, and yet those same magic users have shown the ability to be able to defeat galactic and even universal threats.

If you react in this manner, you'll find that you project your accusations onto others, while not knowing the full extent behind certain comments. Perhaps you should attempt asking a question before you assume the worse.

Johnny Sorrow
What I meant was, how easily it would be to walk up to Dr. Strange or Fate, and unexpectedly KO them with far less than it would take to KO Spiderman, and yet those same magic users have shown the ability to be able to defeat galactic and even universal threats.

If you react in this manner, you'll find that you project your accusations onto others, while not knowing the full extent behind certain comments. Perhaps you should attempt asking a question before you assume the worse.

Mantis has had two encounters with Doctor Fate. He surprised an invisible, intangible Fate by sensing his energy and shooting a beam that affected him; the second time, he warped his magic to turn it back against him. Neither one was a low showing for Fate.

Stoic
Originally posted by Johnny Sorrow
Mantis has had two encounters with Doctor Fate. He surprised an invisible, intangible Fate by sensing his energy and shooting a beam that affected him; the second time, he warped his magic to turn it back against him. Neither one was a low showing for Fate.

One of the feats seem very impressive, while the other seems more like Fate who thought he was in an ambush stance, was the one being ambushed. You know what I mean?

What I found impressive also was how, Annihilus not only survived the Galactus wave, but how well he did against Nova Prime, and Quasar in a weakened state after surviving it. Annihilus at full strength was a beast.

Prep-Man
Dr. Fate back then had great durability and strength. Could amp his stats to near Superman level. He didn't have the weakness Dr. Strange had.

Stoic
Can you say without a doubt that he was amped up while facing Mantis on these two occasions previously mentioned by Johnny?

Johnny Sorrow
One of the feats seem very impressive, while the other seems more like Fate who thought he was in an ambush stance, was the one being ambushed. You know what I mean?

True. The former was a high showing for Mantis considering that he defeated Jordan, Wonder Woman, and Fate at the same time, and it showed the extent of his energy manipulation. The latter was more of a outlier showing (that he could damage intangible opponents) but it's not necessarily a low showing for Fate. Fate attempted to sneak past Mantis, Mantis knew he was there, and he caught Fate off-guard. It went pretty much according to expectations.

What I found impressive also was how, Annihilus not only survived the Galactus wave, but how well he did against Nova Prime, and Quasar in a weakened state after surviving it. Annihilus at full strength was a beast.

Indeed. It should be noted that he was hit with a energy blast of unknown power from a newbie Quasar. Surviving Galactus' fury with only weakened defenses was a high feat. However, I see no way he can counter Mantis' energy suck.

Originally posted by Prep-Man
Dr. Fate back then had great durability and strength. Could amp his stats to near Superman level. He didn't have the weakness Dr. Strange had.

I'm 99% sure that Fate was not amped in the first encounter, and there was no indication that he was amped in the second.

Prep-Man
During that age, Fate's body is composed of pure energy. He's not even human in his form at times. So, yes.

Stoic
True. The former was a high showing for Mantis considering that he defeated Jordan, Wonder Woman, and Fate at the same time, and it showed the extent of his energy manipulation. The latter was more of a outlier showing (that he could damage intangible opponents) but it's not necessarily a low showing for Fate. Fate attempted to sneak past Mantis, Mantis knew he was there, and he caught Fate off-guard. It went pretty much according to expectations.

Indeed. It should be noted that he was hit with a energy blast of unknown power from a newbie Quasar. Surviving Galactus' fury with only weakened defenses was a high feat. However, I see no way he can counter Mantis' energy suck.

I'm 99% sure that Fate was not amped in the first encounter, and there was no indication that he was amped in the second.

The only glaring weakness that I see in the bug (Annihilus) is his cosmic control rod. While it is a very powerful tool, it can be stripped from him. It was also not just the newbie Quasar (Phyla Vell) that was found lacking, but the original was found to be no threat at all.

The energy soaking powers of Mantis vs Annihilus' energy manipulations have yet to be proven as to whom has a firmer grasp on energy manipulations. Quasar (Wendal) has been able to strip some pretty poweful energy wielders in the past by analyzing their powers and shutting them down. Binary and the rogue Watcher if I am not mistaken were just two of the characters that he shut down.
Quasar was unable to resist being consumed, so this has to be taken into account.

I'm really undecided on this, but I think in general that without the CCR, Anni is the weaker of the two, with it, who can tell.

Prep-Man
I don't think Annihilus wants his rod with him. That would be sweet candy to Mantis.

iceman24567
Infinity Man dug in that ass but Annihilus isnt Infinity Man erm

Johnny Sorrow
The only glaring weakness that I see in the bug (Annihilus) is his cosmic control rod. While it is a very powerful tool, it can be stripped from him. It was also not just the newbie Quasar (Phyla Vell) that was found lacking, but the original was found to be no threat at all.

The energy soaking powers of Mantis vs Annihilus' energy manipulations have yet to be proven as to whom has a firmer grasp on energy manipulations. Quasar (Wendal) has been able to strip some pretty poweful energy wielders in the past by analyzing their powers and shutting them down. Binary and the rogue Watcher if I am not mistaken were just two of the characters that he shut down.
Quasar was unable to resist being consumed, so this has to be taken into account.

I only have a foggy memory of how the Annihilus-Quasar fight went down. Did Wendell analyze his powers prior to the fight? I thought he rushed headfirst into battle.

Stoic
I only have a foggy memory of how the Annihilus-Quasar fight went down. Did Wendell analyze his powers prior to the fight? I thought he rushed headfirst into battle.

No Wendell didn't analyze the CCR from my knowledge, or he just couldn't get a proper lock on it. This of course makes no sense when talking about Quasar's methods of approaching a fight... it's basically what he has been seen doing time and again, so your guess is as good as mine.

Let's talk about Annihilus for a second, and the high feat that he indirectly achieved. The Galactus wave destroyed not only Annihilus' fleet, but several solar systems as well. This means that the CCR coupled with his own body armor allowed him to survive a blast that destroyed several stars.

I don't want to go on a rant and say that he would smash the Mantis or yore, but come on. On average who would you say is more impressive? To answer your first question though, Quasar was going all out, and was soundly defeated by Annihilus, who appeared to not even be trying. Like I said before, this would depend on whether or not Annihilus' CCR was greater than Mantis' ability to manipulate energy.

I'd almost wager that Darkseid would spank Mantis, while at the same time have a hard time surviving (if at all) a blast that took out several solar systems. What do you think?

Omega Vision

I'd almost wager that Darkseid would spank Mantis, while at the same time have a hard time surviving (if at all) a blast that took out several solar systems. What do you think?
PC Darkseid tanked Hal Jordan power battery amped PC Mantis's best shot and laughed it off. Mantis proclaimed that he now wielded the power of those who protect the Universe, to which Darkseid (after tanking the blast without flinching) replied "Then does this mean that Darkseid will soon control the Universe?"

But Annihilus isn't PC DS, besides I'm pretty sure he only survived that blast due to the aid of the Quantum Bands which he doesn't have here.

Stoic
PC Darkseid tanked Hal Jordan power battery amped PC Mantis's best shot and laughed it off. Mantis proclaimed that he now wielded the power of those who protect the Universe, to which Darkseid (after tanking the blast without flinching) replied "Then does this mean that Darkseid will soon control the Universe?"

But Annihilus isn't PC DS, besides I'm pretty sure he only survived that blast due to the aid of the Quantum Bands which he doesn't have here.

Hey you're right, he did have that Q-Bands in that assault, and they obviously were to some extent responsible for him surviving the blast. The question here is how much of a percentage did the bands protect him versus the CCR? I do know for certain that a wielder of the CCR is many times greater than a wielder of the Q-Bands, based on Wendell's performance against Annihilus.

Quasar has never seemed to be a pushover to me, but I just don't see him as being able to survive a blast yield that had the power to wipe out several solar systems. I could say the same for a Green Lantern.

I also dislike PC age threads, because we can be talking about characters whose power levels range from Dewey the Milkman to the Beyonder.

Johnny Sorrow
I do know for certain that a wielder of the CCR is many times greater than a wielder of the Q-Bands, based on Wendell's performance against Annihilus.

Don't be silly. Annihilus was much more powerful during that storyline, and it wasn't due to the CCR. He was amped throughout the entire storyline: there were hints scattered everywhere.

Stoic
Don't be silly. Annihilus was much more powerful during that storyline, and it wasn't due to the CCR. He was amped throughout the entire storyline: there were hints scattered everywhere.

yeah you're right.

-K-M-
Originally posted by iceman24567
Infinity Man dug in that ass but Annihilus isnt Infinity Man erm

Mantis has beat Infinity Man before actually.

Stoic
Originally posted by -K-M-
Mantis has beat Infinity Man before actually.

Shhh! Don't say that! stick out tongue

I've been doing some digging, and that Cosmic Control Rod made Annihilus nearly as powerful as a Sky Father, so it wouldn't be a stretch to even place him on the level of low end Sky Father in the least. Aside from Annihilus being a powerhouse at base levels (without the CCR), the CCR amps his levels to an unknown exponential extent. In effect he's an A class world beater possessing high level energy, and matter manipulation powers.

The only types of characters that would viably be able to resist such power, would be guys like the Juggernaut of the good old days, or ones that could overcome it such as guys on Galactus' level. It's no wonder that he was placed in the arc, because with the momentum that Annihilus and his fleet had, there really was no stopping him, outside of a serious plot device (Galactus scale PD) unless I'm reading into it the wrong way.

Honestly though I don't think Mantis had the right stuff to have ever been able to take Annihilus on average, as he was last represented in comics.

Prep-Man
Mantis has had few appearances, but during that age, he was low skyfather, too. His touch could shatter star systems.

Stoic
Originally posted by Prep-Man
Mantis has had few appearances, but during that age, he was low skyfather, too. His touch could shatter star systems.

Oh yea? And then what did he do? Was this a microverse, while he was a giant? How did that all play out? You have any scans?

Johnny Sorrow
Oh yea? And then what did he do? Was this a microverse, while he was a giant? How did that all play out? You have any scans?

It was an alleged claim made when attacking Infinity Man.

I've read Thor's battle with Annihilus and I have some new respect for him. He was being amped by absorbing the essences of Asgardians, but he gave Thor a good run while being said amped. However, even while being amped and possessing the CCR he was nowhere near skyfather. Odin dismissed him with a wave of his hand.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.