As a Character who is the better Bad Guy..

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

KuRuPT Thanosi
Darkseid or Thanos

King Castle
i think it is Thanos by far.. due to his actual level of success and how he presents himself, his motivation may change but his character pretty much stays the same, cool.smokin'

although, lately his resurrection leaves a lot to be desired nor does he appear to be written as in the past.

if thanos and DS were kids in high school.. thanos would be the smoker bad boy dude who has family connections to the mob and would beat and kill a teacher.

Darkseid would be the over weight ginger kid with freckles who plays football and picks on the small fries and is one bullying moment from getting his butt kick for messing with the wrong kid who has brass and isnt intimated by his over weightness

psycho gundam
thanos just has more charisma, other than that they are kinda the same

King Castle
now that's charisma

Thanos: aye..

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.comicsalliance.com/media/2010/04/swimsuitthanos.jpg

psycho gundam
no expression

Wei Phoenix
Originally posted by King Castle
now that's charisma

Thanos: aye..

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.comicsalliance.com/media/2010/04/swimsuitthanos.jpg

Good to see Warlock keeping his body in shape.

Allankles
As a character... Darkseid by miles, his character is just written better. I don't know where Castle is getting this idea that Thanos is some sought of cool bad boy type. He's a Deviant (a pariah in his culture), essentially he was the guy everyone called weird in highschool, but who hit the gym after highschool.

He's not a smoking bad-boy type with tatts, he's the awkward boy that got muscles, almost literally.

Darkseid more accurately isn't the fat school yard bully, he's the manipulative smart ass with anti-social tendencies.

If he were to fit into the sterotypical highschool group he'd be the delinquent preppy, not the schoolyard bully.

Allankles
As Uxas Darkseid was a manipulator, purely cerebral and a warrior on the side. It's only after he mastered the Omega Force that his options expanded.

Parmaniac
And like I thought this devolves into "Which Character do you like more?"

King Castle
Originally posted by Parmaniac
And like I thought this devolves into "Which Character do you like more?" pretty much.

drylaugh

Thanos has an interesting background origin and motivation for why he does what he does.. i find him to be a refreshing character compared to other comic characters.

cool

Allankles
Originally posted by Parmaniac
And like I thought this devolves into "Which Character do you like more?"

stick out tongue
sad Inevitably, but I'm sure they're some smart, somewhat unbiased souls out there who could weigh in.

Personally I go by the quaility of writing done on both characters over their entire history, and DS wins hands down.

King Castle
why do you think Darksied is the better bad guy?

Parmaniac
Trying to make a real statement, one thing I like more about Thanos than about DS is that Thanos doesn't get his ass kicked multiple times and then gets retconned the shit out of him. But that's really the only thing at the moment I would say Thanos has in advance, I'm pretty biased in this though.

King Castle
being unbias myself i find the DC constant retcon of character history which makes Darksied less interesting when his storyline is constantly altered to cover up past stories of the character.

plus, i dont like people merging two or three sets of character history into a super almagam version of DS reaching from PC to current.

psycho gundam
Originally posted by Allankles
As a character... Darkseid by miles, his character is just written better. I don't know where Castle is getting this idea that Thanos is some sought of cool bad boy type. He's a Deviant (a pariah in his culture), essentially he was the guy everyone called weird in highschool, but who hit the gym after highschool.

He's not a smoking bad-boy type with tatts, he's the awkward boy that got muscles, almost literally.

Darkseid more accurately isn't the fat school yard bully, he's the manipulative smart ass with anti-social tendencies.

If he were to fit into the sterotypical highschool group he'd be the delinquent preppy, not the schoolyard bully. http://img257.imageshack.us/img257/8388/champp27we.jpg

CosmicComet
Darkseid was killed by his awesome ginger son. You can zoom in on the scan and see a proud tear in his eye as it happens.

I vote Darkseid as he is a better father figure than Thanos.

Also, Thanos was killed by Drax, who is bald.

King Castle
Originally posted by CosmicComet
Darkseid was killed by his awesome ginger son. You can zoom in on the scan and see a proud tear in his eye as it happens.

I vote Darkseid as he is a better father figure than Thanos.

Also, Thanos was killed by Drax, who is bald. better then being killed or touched by a ginger.

CosmicComet
Darkseid is a harder worker than Thanos, he had to rise up from a lowly cashier to become a GAWD.

http://www.currion.net/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/McDarkseid.png

psycho gundam
just look how depressed his is

working at mcdonald's is apparently part of the anti-life equation

CosmicComet
Exactly, but that built character.

Yall need a dose of the anti-hater equation.

Parmaniac
Originally posted by psycho gundam
just look how depressed his is

working at mcdonald's is apparently part of the anti-life equation I can confirm this.

batdude123
working at mcdonald's is apparently part of the anti-life equation

It'll certainly make you feel as if you have an anti-life.

CosmicComet
Also, Darkseid seems to have a thing for jailbait in his history, which means he's daring and deserves our respect.

King Castle
Also, Darkseid seems to have a thing for jailbait in his history, which means he's daring and deserves our respect. jail bait? confused

is he taking notes from Deathstroke?

Allankles
why do you think Darksied is the better bad guy?

For one he's a pure bad guy. The guy isn't trying to make you think he's cool, he wants to stamp a mudhole on the whole universe and watch it mould itself according to his bootprint. In truth when you think about the horror that is his planet, a part of you just downright loathes the guy.

His desires are his life. It's not some lackadaisical one time trip for artifacts like it is with Thanos, he absolutely believes that he's the absolute, honest-to-god, born-to-be, rightful ruler of all that exists.

Unlike Thanos who has no deep down driving purpose, Darkseid has a vision, an actual rooted down role in the DCU.

The most important thing about having a proper role, is that it frees up his writers. Since they don't have to invent a new motivation for him, he is easier and more fun to write. You can play around with the way his stories develop because his ultimate goal is something that could be eons in the making.

In the end the writers do justice to a monumental endeavour like ruling the universe. I mean FC, for instance is something that was built up for years over several events.

We had the war in heaven, then the destruction of the 4th world, then the still living gods getting thrown backwards in time to before 52 in Seven Soldiers, then we had time catching up to the cataclism of the 4th world and "the day evil won".

It is simply good story telling, you don't undermine the characters hero or villain just to see the central character win. He has a great supporting cast as well, which makes the whole thing like a decades old saga. Thanos just seems too abrupt, half-baked by comparison, writers need to build him up better.

psycho gundam
darkseid wears a miniskirt without leggings and hooker boots, but balances out his promiscuous fashion sense with a hijab. he doesn't want to give away all his goods for free

thanos rocks a dictator uniform

http://img246.imageshack.us/img246/1117/mbisonstreetfighterseri.jpg

^ "get on your knees bytch, i ain't playing"

Juntai
For one he's a pure bad guy. The guy isn't trying to make you think he's cool, he wants to stamp a mudhole on the whole universe and watch it mould itself according to his bootprint. In truth when you think about the horror that is his planet, a part of you just downright loathes the guy.

His desires are his life. It's not some lackadaisical one time trip for artifacts like it is with Thanos, he absolutely believes that he's the absolute, honest-to-god, born-to-be, rightful ruler of all that exists.

Unlike Thanos who has no deep down driving purpose, Darkseid has a vision, an actual rooted down role in the DCU.

The most important thing about having a proper role, is that it frees up his writers. Since they don't have to invent a new motivation for him, he is easier and more fun to write. You can play around with the way his stories develop because his ultimate goal is something that could be eons in the making.

In the end the writers do justice to a monumental endeavour like ruling the universe. I mean FC, for instance is something that was built up for years over several events.

We had the war in heaven, then the destruction of the 4th world, then the still living gods getting thrown backwards in time to before 52 in Seven Soldiers, then we had time catching up to the cataclism of the 4th world and "the day evil won".

It is simply good story telling, you don't undermine the characters hero or villain just to see the central character win. He has a great supporting cast as well, which makes the whole thing like a decades old saga. Thanos just seems too abrupt, half-baked by comparison, writers need to build him up better.
52 through Final Crisis = Brilliant. Going back through that time and seeing everything purposely falling into place.

KuRuPT Thanosi
As much as I hate to admit it.. I agree with some of the points Allan has brought up. I think DS role is more defined and Thanos is ever changing and evolving. I think that is good and bad for both parties but I do agree it can make for easier and better writer when something is clearly defined over the years. I just think Thanos has way more depth to his character and way more versatility.

I guess the best way to put this is... If you were forming your own comic book company and had to pay for the rights for one character which would you pay for to be a foundation of your company.

Omega Vision
Darkseid.

Even when he fights alongside the heroes he never tries to fool anyone into thinking he's looking out for anything but number-one.

Stoic
Darkseid is a harder worker than Thanos, he had to rise up from a lowly cashier to become a GAWD.

http://www.currion.net/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/McDarkseid.png

eek! laughing out loud

Martian_mind
Thanos. He's actually somewhat compelling to read about. Darkseid is.....eh.

King Castle
when you are that powerful you dont need character personality..
roll eyes (sarcastic)

Bouboumaster

Well, no.

Thanos isn't a deviant. He's an eternal, like everybody else. The difference is that he's a mutant in his race. He's alone in his condition, and because of that, he's a pariah. Still, he's not a Deviant. He's awesome.

Omega Vision
Originally posted by Bouboumaster
Well, no.

Thanos isn't a deviant. He's an eternal, like everybody else. The difference is that he's a mutant in his race. He's alone in his condition, and because of that, he's a pariah. Still, he's not a Deviant. He's awesome.
Actually Thanos would fit perfectly under the textbook definition of "Deviant".

From Wiktionary: Deviant (Noun) "A person who deviates, especially from norms of social behavior."

He was an outsider in his society who did things (like dissecting his mother) that his society frowned upon. IE a deviant.

tkitna
Darkseid should be the better bad guy, but losing to Superman makes Thanos the only choice.

Bentley
It depends on what we think it's fundamental to make a good "bad guy", I think Darkseid is a much more dishonest character, much more deprived of remorse and much more less empathetic. If being a Bad Guy is about being easier to hate, DS is ahead by miles imo.

Bouboumaster
Originally posted by Omega Vision
Actually Thanos would fit perfectly under the textbook definition of "Deviant".

From Wiktionary: Deviant (Noun) "A person who deviates, especially from norms of social behavior."

He was an outsider in his society who did things (like dissecting his mother) that his society frowned upon. IE a deviant.

He would fit other, but the fact that both his dad and his mum were Eternals, and his brother is also an Eternal seal the deal, right?

Omega Vision
Originally posted by Bouboumaster
He would fit other, but the fact that both his dad and his mum were Eternals, and his brother is also an Eternal seal the deal, right?
Allankles was arguing that Thanos was a social deviant I think, which he completely is.

Rage.Of.Olympus
Darkseid.

psycho gundam
Originally posted by Rage.Of.Olympus
Darkseid. only cause he'd get served by thor right?

darthgoober
i think it is Thanos by far.. due to his actual level of success and how he presents himself, his motivation may change but his character pretty much stays the same, cool.smokin'

although, lately his resurrection leaves a lot to be desired nor does he appear to be written as in the past.

if thanos and DS were kids in high school.. thanos would be the smoker bad boy dude who has family connections to the mob and would beat and kill a teacher.

Darkseid would be the over weight ginger kid with freckles who plays football and picks on the small fries and is one bullying moment from getting his butt kick for messing with the wrong kid who has brass and isnt intimated by his over weightness

If he were to fit into the sterotypical highschool group he'd be the delinquent preppy, not the schoolyard bully.
I think you're both off. DS is a lot like the gangbanger trying control the guns/drugs in the school, Thanos is the Goth kid who's decided to "go Columbine" on the high school.

psycho gundam
whatever darkseid is, he'll always be the fat kid who got beat up by the school's most popular jock........

.....and then shot by the goth kid

Omega Vision
Originally posted by darthgoober
I think you're both off. DS is a lot like the gangbanger trying control the guns/drugs in the school, Thanos is the Goth kid who's decided to "go Columbine" on the high school.
Gangbanger=better villain.

Black bolt z
As far as who is cooler and like more? Darkseid.

As far as who is the actual better badguy? Thanos.Better track record of universal domination.

Lunacyde

Do you ever grow tired of ignorance?

Lunacyde
Allankles was arguing that Thanos was a social deviant I think, which he completely is. By definition all villains are deviants.

darthgoober
Gangbanger=better villain.
Goth kid=Better character

King Castle
whatever darkseid is, he'll always be the fat kid who got beat up by the school's most popular jock........

.....and then shot by the goth kid good analogy guys.. big grin

They're both pretty lame, but DS's been a lot lamer for the last decade.

Also, both designs are retarded and not frightening at all. Thanos looked much bettter with that priest robe than with his ridiculous costume, they should have sticked with it.

Omega Vision
Goth kid=Better character
I disagree. Who's a more compelling movie protagonist: an up and coming criminal mastermind or some whiny kid who snaps one day?

King Castle
I disagree. Who's a more compelling movie protagonist: an up and coming criminal mastermind or some whiny kid who snaps one day? what if it is the movie of a kid who grows up to be a criminal/mastermind?

Origin story.

i personally liked DS motivation nor comic history, i guess it has more to do with how he is currently written.

the old school DS was cool, though.

Nihilist
Thanos is better as a anti hero imo, but when he was a bad guy in his early days he was way better than DS.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.