Religion & Racism, two sides of the same coin?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

King Castle
does Religion advocate Racism and Xenophobia Attitude?

what Religions and specific text show one or the other or argues against racism?

does it advocate hate speech?

is religion just dressed up polite racism?

i have been called a gentile by a hebrew person to identify me as not of his race or religion. he actually thought it was okay and polite to say it that to me nor did he find nothing wrong with it.

he isnt the only person i seen this from. Christians have called others heathens, sinners now maybe it in itself isnt racism but it seems more like hate speech that no seems to think is wrong..

Symmetric Chaos
There is a common doctrinal claim in Christianity that "all are one in the body of Christ" but I don't know if its in the Bible.

Lucius
My parents think I'm a pagan destined to burn in hell for eternity, but I wouldn't call that racism.

I do think some aspects of religion do share a similar exclusive element to racism.

EDIT - Exclusive in the sense that they're part of a group and you're not. Or I could be totally wrong.

inimalist
I think the only connection would be that humans are responsible for both, and we have a natural tendency to group people based on how similar they are to us

most religions have texts that can be interpreted as being pro or anti- racism, and it is really up to the individual to put their own feelings into it

I don't think religion is inherently racist or anti-racist

EDIT: anti-women, sure. The big three western, and afaik Hinduism, all have very specific dogmatic "roles" for women, and even though religions like Islam try to define these roles as "genders supporting one another", in nearly all cases, they proscribe very subordinate "roles", and even if we interpret male and female roles as being "equal", which I don't, the idea that men or women HAVE to act in gendered ways is anti-everyone (though, again, women normally get the subordinate end of the stick)

Quiero Mota
Depends on the religion.

The Mormon Church was officially a racist organization until 1978.

ExodusCloak
I don't think so, I also don't think it depends on the religion it depends on the individual and the way they interpret their religion.

I believe in God but my religion is a personal thing between myself and God. I believe that people that are of other faiths or even those that don't believe in God can still carry out Gods will without them even realizing it. And a lot of people do so to such an extent that they're doing more good then those who do believe God. Which is why at the end of the day a preacher can not tell you whether or not you're going to hell to be reformed, a just God will judge you based on circumstances and your innate goodness and deeds.

Also I hold my friends (who come from all four corners and have an array of different belief systems) in very high regard because they're really good caring people IMO.

Mindship
Originally posted by King Castle
i have been called a gentile by a hebrew person to identify me as not of his race or religion. he actually thought it was okay and polite to say it that to me nor did he find nothing wrong with it. "Gentile" is considered the appropriate term for nonJews by Jews. It is not meant to be derogatory, though some may use it or interpret it as such. "Goyem" or "Goy" is generally used with derogative connotations.

Essentially, any group (eg, racial, religious) has its terms (derogatory or otherwise) to refer to nonmembers. It's just the way humans are: tribal thinking is deeply ingrained.

ADarksideJedi
I think it is silly to think that Religion bases things on Race and if you are a male or female because they don't.Why would they?

inimalist
Originally posted by ADarksideJedi
I think it is silly to think that Religion bases things on if you are a male or female because they don't.

sticking with just the big three Western faiths for a moment, all of them have very specific code in their texts about the roles of women and men. This is undenyable, in fact, in many places in North America, today, there are still prejudices against women preists.

Why would they?

For all the things religion might be said to do, control of social norms is certainly one. Gender based roles in religion tend to fall upon gendered divisions of labour and sexual rights, two things that would be of great importance for societies living prior to the invention of much of the modern technology and birth control that allows us other forms of controlling these things. There are also more cynical interpretations, such as, only a woman knows for sure who a baby's father is, and men don't want to raise someone else's kid, thus they control the sexuality of women.

Quiero Mota
Originally posted by inimalist
sticking with just the big three Western faiths

What exactly are the big three Western faiths you're talking about?

(fyi; Islam is not considered "Western", in case that's one of the ones you're referring to. Jehova's Witnesses and Mormons would count though.)

King Castle
1. christian/catholic
2. Judiasm a;though technically it started off in the middle east actually both did.

3. Buddhism or Muslim?

mhmm

what are the three western worlds main religions cause seems to me they all sprang up in the east.

Bardock42
Originally posted by Quiero Mota

(fyi; Islam is not considered "Western", in case that's one of the ones you're referring to. Jehova's Witnesses and Mormons would count though.)

Perhaps he meant the three biggest faiths in the Western world.

I assumed he meant Christianity, Islam and Judaism. Which may not be right in size, but surely in impact

ADarksideJedi
sticking with just the big three Western faiths for a moment, all of them have very specific code in their texts about the roles of women and men. This is undenyable, in fact, in many places in North America, today, there are still prejudices against women preists.

For all the things religion might be said to do, control of social norms is certainly one. Gender based roles in religion tend to fall upon gendered divisions of labour and sexual rights, two things that would be of great importance for societies living prior to the invention of much of the modern technology and birth control that allows us other forms of controlling these things. There are also more cynical interpretations, such as, only a woman knows for sure who a baby's father is, and men don't want to raise someone else's kid, thus they control the sexuality of women.

Because God is a man woman can't be prist that is one thing that is why there are only male Prist.I personally find nothing wrong with that and I am a woman.
as for controling I dont' think the church controls anyone.Everyone has the right to stay or leave or pray what ever matter they want.and not everyone obeys the rules of the church when it comes to birth control or not.

Liberator
Because God is a man woman can't be prist that is one thing that is why there are only male Prist.I personally find nothing wrong with that and I am a woman.
as for controling I dont' think the church controls anyone.Everyone has the right to stay or leave or pray what ever matter they want.and not everyone obeys the rules of the church when it comes to birth control or not.

Unless you're gay.

ADarksideJedi
I am not and what does that have to do with anything?

Digi
I think the only connection would be that humans are responsible for both, and we have a natural tendency to group people based on how similar they are to us

most religions have texts that can be interpreted as being pro or anti- racism, and it is really up to the individual to put their own feelings into it

I don't think religion is inherently racist or anti-racist

EDIT: anti-women, sure. The big three western, and afaik Hinduism, all have very specific dogmatic "roles" for women, and even though religions like Islam try to define these roles as "genders supporting one another", in nearly all cases, they proscribe very subordinate "roles", and even if we interpret male and female roles as being "equal", which I don't, the idea that men or women HAVE to act in gendered ways is anti-everyone (though, again, women normally get the subordinate end of the stick)

This, except substitute "western religions" for something like "most popular monotheist religions."

Omega Vision

what Religions and specific text show one or the other or argues against racism?

i have been called a gentile by a hebrew person to identify me as not of his race or religion. he actually thought it was okay and polite to say it that to me nor did he find nothing wrong with it.

he isnt the only person i seen this from. Christians have called others heathens, sinners now maybe it in itself isnt racism but it seems more like hate speech that no seems to think is wrong..
Grouping all religions into one homogeneous pot is fairly ignorant.

inimalist

who doesn't consider Islam to be a Western Religion?

philosophically western, not necessarily geographically, though even then...

EDIT: Some historians might refer to the "soul line" (a line where on one side, we have the dualistic monotheisms stemming from Zorostronianism, and on the other, the hollistic Hindu/Buddhist etc traditions) as being the distinction between East and West. I guess it isn't really a big deal, but I've never heard it referd to in another way...

Liberator
I am not and what does that have to do with anything?

Well the Bible clearly states: "If a man lies with a male as with a women, both of them shall be put to death for their abominable deed; they have forfeited their lives."

Lord Lucien
Originally posted by ExodusCloak
I don't think so, I also don't think it depends on the religion it depends on the individual and the way they interpret their religion. Bingo.

ADarksideJedi
Originally posted by Liberator
Well the Bible clearly states: "If a man lies with a male as with a women, both of them shall be put to death for their abominable deed; they have forfeited their lives."

yea but that has to do with being gay nothing to do with what Religion you are or whatever.

Symmetric Chaos
yea but that has to do with being gay nothing to do with what Religion you are or whatever.

What? What the f**k?

ADarksideJedi
You said that it says in the bible that a man and a man would go to hell if they lie down together which is true.I said what does Religion have to do with being gay?

Bardock42
You said that it says in the bible that a man and a man would go to hell if they lie down together which is true.I said what does Religion have to do with being gay?

Well it's only in certain religions that homosexuals supposedly go to hell.

Robtard
Depends on the religion.

The Mormon Church was officially a racist organization until 1978.

Just wait until Dadudemon hears about this!

Liberator

Well you said, "Everyone has the right to stay or leave or pray what ever matter they want."

However, if you are gay you MUST be put to death (according to the bible). So gays wouldn't have the right to do any of those things if you followed the christian bible.

King Kandy
Because that's what it says in the Bible. Which is a religious book.

Omega Vision
In the Old Testament Hell as we understand it today does not exist, at least not as a destination for humans. The same is true for Heaven.

In the Old Testament death as punishment was emphasized because the punishment for sins was meted out in this life rather than the next.

ADarksideJedi
Originally posted by Liberator
Well you said, "Everyone has the right to stay or leave or pray what ever matter they want."

However, if you are gay you MUST be put to death (according to the bible). So gays wouldn't have the right to do any of those things if you followed the christian bible.

That is true and I don't think that they should be put to death and that the bible does not say it that way but I do consider it a sin to be gay.

Symmetric Chaos
That is true and I don't think that they should be put to death and that the bible does not say it that way but I do consider it a sin to be gay.

The Bible explicitly says they should be put to death. There's no way around that.

King Castle
the bible also says that no sin is greater then another and all are equal.

plus, death is vastly different then hell and in the old testament there is no such place as hell it was sheol where all the dead went prophet or sinner.

ADarksideJedi
Yea but it is only if the gay person pratise being gay.If they are dating or sleeping around with other man or whatever then there is a good chance that they will go to heaven.

Liberator
Yea but it is only if the gay person pratise being gay.If they are dating or sleeping around with other man or whatever then there is a good chance that they will go to heaven.

What?

skekUng

I suppose that depends greatly upon the person, doesn't it? But, I suppose your point is vague on purpose. I doubt most of the religious people you're actually talking about care what colour you are or what country you come from, as long as you agree with them about what happens after death and the "rules" that govern us while we're alive.

ADarksideJedi
never mind.

King Castle
Originally posted by Omega Vision
Grouping all religions into one homogeneous pot is fairly ignorant. yeh, i agree. you should have bn there when god took down Sodom and Gomorrah and told him that or the flood.. wink

TacDavey
Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
The Bible explicitly says they should be put to death. There's no way around that.

That's old testament. Not new. No one dies for their sins anymore.

King Castle
Originally posted by TacDavey
That's old testament. Not new. No one dies for their sins anymore. what if its suicide?

chomperx9
Religion does not define race.

King Castle
go read the old testament, the Torah. reading erm

alltoomany

Because we needed more people in this world and if two men laid together we wouldn't be here today.. the Bible also states that two people are better than one alone...If God" pushed for same sex to laid together.. think about it for a monent

alltoomany
Originally posted by alltoomany
Because we needed more people in this world and if two men laid together we wouldn't be here today.. the Bible also states that two people are better than one alone...If God" pushed for same sex to laid together.. think about it for a monent

There is No- !- ?- there's just - .
options are the flip side of the coin

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.