Another trilogy coming?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

roughrider
http://dimewars.com/Blog/George-Lucas-Reportedly-Adding-Another-Trilogy-To-The-Star-Wars-Franchise.aspx?BlogID=1a0ddddc-d5ac-4c22-8624-1531863b5d5f

I don't think this passes for real journalism, myself. He repeats the same sentence twice in a row, and it's less than a paragraph.

So?

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by roughrider
http://dimewars.com/Blog/George-Lucas-Reportedly-Adding-Another-Trilogy-To-The-Star-Wars-Franchise.aspx?BlogID=1a0ddddc-d5ac-4c22-8624-1531863b5d5f

I don't think this passes for real journalism, myself. He repeats the same sentence twice in a row, and it's less than a paragraph.

So?

Ya, that's terrible.

Sith Master X
Yeah, but this was first reported on IESB....and if you read their article, it's very credible.

IESB has always gotten the first scoop on major SW rumors, and they've always turned out being dead accurate.

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Sith Master X
Yeah, but this was first reported on IESB....and if you read their article, it's very credible.

IESB has always gotten the first scoop on major SW rumors, and they've always turned out being dead accurate.

When will it take place in the SW world?

queeq
I shudder at the thought.

The Nuul
Its still a lot better than Lucas milking the same 6 films over and over again. At least hes going to do something new again instead of living in the past.

roughrider
Knights Of The Old Republic?

Lucas has shown he's much more interested in the past, than post-ROTJ.

Ushgarak
http://www.wired.com/underwire/2010/10/new-star-wars-trilogy/

The Nuul
lol, of course he wouldnt make any more movies when blu ray and 3D are coming out for the same damn shit. HA, I knew it wouldnt happen.

The Nuul
I wish they did a movies with Star Killer like in The Force Unleashed 2 videos.

queeq
Yuck.

I think Lucas would like to do his live action tv series first. But finding 50 million per episode sounds like quite a challenge.

CaedusRules
While I think the Thrawn Trilogy would be epic on the big screen, the entire movie would have to be CGI, and all the actors wuold have to come back to do voice-overs. While its something that can be done, I would prefer they didn't. They would just be setting themselves up for more criticism like ep 1,2,3 got.

I would personally like to see the Bane Trilogy made. Not only will it seperate itself from the original trilogy and living up to great expectations, it will show a completely different side of the force. Completely new story lines, and new poeple to follow. After all people love the Anit-Hero like Scarface, the Godfather, Freddy Krugar, etc... Bane would be a loved bad guy. Not to mention EPIC Jedi vs Sith Wars.

If not the Bane Trilogy I would go with a Trilogy about Revan and Malak. That would show points of view from Jedi and Sith.

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by CaedusRules
While I think the Thrawn Trilogy would be epic on the big screen, the entire movie would have to be CGI, and all the actors wuold have to come back to do voice-overs. While its something that can be done, I would prefer they didn't. They would just be setting themselves up for more criticism like ep 1,2,3 got.

I would personally like to see the Bane Trilogy made. Not only will it seperate itself from the original trilogy and living up to great expectations, it will show a completely different side of the force. Completely new story lines, and new poeple to follow. After all people love the Anit-Hero like Scarface, the Godfather, Freddy Krugar, etc... Bane would be a loved bad guy. Not to mention EPIC Jedi vs Sith Wars.

If not the Bane Trilogy I would go with a Trilogy about Revan and Malak. That would show points of view from Jedi and Sith.

What about in the future when Luke is an old Jedi master? BTW I'm not up on all the side stories.

CaedusRules
Originally posted by Shakyamunison
What about in the future when Luke is an old Jedi master? BTW I'm not up on all the side stories.

The problem with that is your skipping by so much story that you will upset the fan base of the origianl trilogy, and the EU fans. I mean your skipping Han and Leia getting married, have 3 kids, 2 dying... Luke getting married, having a kid... Han and Leia's kid killing Luke's wife... I mean its just too much to leave out. Its not something that can be summarized by scrolling text if you know what I mean.

The only 2 options I see is:
A) pick up the story right after ROTJ, with CGI characters,
or
B) Base the trilogy off of charaters not in the 6 movies we have now, meaning before Ep 1, or waaaayyy after Luke and everyone else dies...

Shakyamunison
The problem with that is your skipping by so much story that you will upset the fan base of the origianl trilogy, and the EU fans. I mean your skipping Han and Leia getting married, have 3 kids, 2 dying... Luke getting married, having a kid... Han and Leia's kid killing Luke's wife... I mean its just too much to leave out. Its not something that can be summarized by scrolling text if you know what I mean.

The only 2 options I see is:
A) pick up the story right after ROTJ, with CGI characters,
or
B) Base the trilogy off of charaters not in the 6 movies we have now, meaning before Ep 1, or waaaayyy after Luke and everyone else dies...

The thing is, people like me, who know nothing about what you just said, would not have a problem, if the story is written well.

queeq
Shaky is right. All that is EU anyway so it doesn't count. Lucas can go from ROTJ and move from there...

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by queeq
Shaky is right. All that is EU anyway so it doesn't count. Lucas can go from ROTJ and move from there...

But I did have to raise the bar by saying "written well". eek!

ares834
Knights Of The Old Republic?

Lucas has shown he's much more interested in the past, than post-ROTJ.

Doubt it. For Lucas the Sith have only been around for a thousand years. So he may go into the Sith Origin story which would also include the formation of the Republic. It would be pretty cool.

CaedusRules

Your right, he could.... but he wont. If you think about all the EU works that would basically become useless if he did that.... Besides, not only would you be pissing off the original trilogy fans that are very hard to please, you would be pissing off the EU fans as well.

No I think the best way to go is a trilogy completely seperate from any of the trilogies/tv shows already done. Same universe, same prncipals of the force, space battles, and war, just in a different era, shown through the eyes of the Sith. EPIC.

ares834
Do you watch the cartoon? GL is pissing all over the EU. He doesn't give a damn about it or the fans.

CaedusRules
Actually i dont watch the show... i believe anything not in a movie or on paper can change the "cannon" of star wars, and that goes for a live action tv show also.

mossman
Well, if we are questioning the significance of this "blog paragraph", let's cut to the chase..

"George Lucas, is supposed to be done with the Star Wars world..."

Supposed to be done with?
What the hell does that mean, and what is it based on?

Erm, isn't he DEFINITELY involved in 3D theatrical releases of all six movies, a successful cartoon TV series, and a live action TV series currently deep in production?

Call me radical, but I'd say that is pretty darn "involved" in the Star Wars world...

queeq
THat's right. he said he was done with the Skywalker story... But even that proved out false beacsue in the CW series all we get is Anakin... The maker works in mysterious ways.

Originally posted by Shakyamunison
But I did have to raise the bar by saying "written well". eek!

You should have told LUcas before he started writing the PT. stick out tongue

Shakyamunison
THat's right. he said he was done with the Skywalker story... But even that proved out false beacsue in the CW series all we get is Anakin... The maker works in mysterious ways.

You should have told LUcas before he started writing the PT. stick out tongue

Yes, I am being way too unrealistic. smile

queeq
Let's just say you try to keep up hope.

darthmaul1
Originally posted by ares834
Do you watch the cartoon? GL is pissing all over the EU. He doesn't give a damn about it or the fans.

He's only pissing all over the EU cause you think he is. Lucas has said before he does not care what is in the expanded universe, just what is in his movies. Yes he does give the go ahead to do new stories in books or games etc. but he doesn't follow what they do. You have to learn to treat them sepratley. i have read a few EU books, xwing and some others and they were good but i'm sure as sh!t not going be thinking about those while watching clone wars or new movies. ENJOY them for what they are another version of the story.
I know very little about the EU so wouldn't have a problem with a new story if written well. He could do it where Han and Leia only have 1 kid and i wouldn't care. It doesn't have to be exactly the same or even close, this is GL's story, and he will follow it the way he wants and try to please the normal regular fans, but the nut bars are SOL.

queeq
EU is indeed irrelevant.

coolmovies
Its never gonna happen !!!!!!!!!!!

queeq
You don't know that.

coolmovies
You don't know that.

Thats it ! I had enough of Lucas and star wars !

Lord Shadow Z
If he did do another one based after the OT then all he could do is base it in a different part of the galaxy, with new characters and situations.

The old characters could be referred to in dialogue or not even mentioned at all. I personally wouldn't want Lucas to helm a depiction of the EU, many will just end up disappointed as he will undoubtably change things to suit his own tastes.

queeq
Prolly... a whole new take would be a way to go. But he'd sure need to come up with some decent characters then.

Rogue Jedi
I shudder at the thought.

queeq
Hehehe

Shakyamunison
Here is an idea: If Star Wars was a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away, then what is happening now, far, far away?

queeq
Hmmm.... good point. Let's tell Lucas...

Shakyamunison
Hmmm.... good point. Let's tell Lucas...

I don't know Lucas. I know someone who does, but I wouldn't tell that person any good ideas. They would just take them as their own.

queeq
Well, for us this would be a very BAD idea... Lucas might go with it.

skekUng
Originally posted by ares834

Then there are two ways to approach this realization. One is to repay the favor by no longer supporting anything new with the SW logo on it. The other is to assume that SW canon need be only what the individual fan wants it to be, and not what Mr. Lucas says it must be.

queeq
Well no... SW canon is SW canon. But everyone is free to create his of her personal canon of course.

mossman
I've never understood why people get so hung up on the word.
Canon is exactly what it claims to be - whatever the author wants to be accepted as their body of work.
It is not some kind of law that is punishable by death. What is more important is what you enjoy - I don't think I have ever sat down to watch a movie or read a comic and thought "damn, this isn't 'canon' - I'm not allowed to enjoy it any more..."

It seems to me there was a massive period when I was growing up where anybody could pick up the SW license and print whatever the hell they wanted - from 1977 right through to well into the run of Dark Horse comics in the 90s. SW spin-offs were an absolute mess continuity-wise. Fact.
That is why there was a need for a canon (or various levels of 'canon') in the first place.
Whether you approve or not, it is only relatively recently that Lucas has taken a more active role in managing the spin-off material himself and approving what should be considered canonical.

Personally, I like the original three movies first and foremost, I'm also in the minority who thought the prequels were worthwhile. However, I also love stuff that I grew up with such as the Marvel comics that barely make sense in context of the original movie, let alone in comparison to other areas of the expanded universe.
But they captured something of the tone of the SW movies, and I love them for what they are - the fact that very little of that Marvel run has anything to do with canon has nothing to do with me enjoying it.

It all depends on your point of view. It's funny everyone hates Lucas now for "messing with things" and "doing things just for the money" etc etc... the fact is, the damage to the EU was done back when Lucas was the golden chlid, when he was happy to schill out the Star Wars brand to any old story to make a few bucks, creating the mess that the was EU as we entered the new millennium.
Really, he is doing the "right thing" by finally getting involved and taking some control of the EU, but the upshot is that he is now contradicting the mess people fell in love with and attempted to make sense of in the first place.

Like I said, I think everyone is better off just watching and reading what they enjoy.

queeq
Quite.

roughrider
Originally posted by mossman
I've never understood why people get so hung up on the word.
Canon is exactly what it claims to be - whatever the author wants to be accepted as their body of work.
It is not some kind of law that is punishable by death. What is more important is what you enjoy - I don't think I have ever sat down to watch a movie or read a comic and thought "damn, this isn't 'canon' - I'm not allowed to enjoy it any more..."

Personally, I like the original three movies first and foremost, I'm also in the minority who thought the prequels were worthwhile.

You're not in the minority; you're in the majority. It's a small minority that continues to rave & scream years after the fact, despite the enourmous success of the three prequel films (which continued to sell huge on DVD, getting rid of that argument people just went to see & satisfy their curiousity.) The media just likes to talk about the negative perception because smearing is a better news story ( no matter that all 3 films were certified fresh on Rotten Tomatoes.)

queeq
Hold on... it's not just a smear campaign... There are serious flaws in the PT which can be argued.

Dark Exile

I do not want to see Luuke on the Big screen.

queeq
laughing out loud

MasterAshenVor
I'd love a TFU Movie. Or Maybe a movie about Exar Kun and the Great Uprising against the Jedi Order during that period?

queeq
Bleeeh...

skekUng
Well no... SW canon is SW canon. But everyone is free to create his of her personal canon of course.

The difference is a rubber stamp from Mr. Lucas. Mr Lucas seems to be the problem in most cases. So, I no longer care what Mr. Lucas thinks. I'm the consumer, that gives me the ultimate authority in this situation.

queeq
Err... no it doesn't.

skekUng
Err... no it doesn't.

But everyone is free to create his of her personal canon of course

So, you're arguing with yourself? I said I no longer care what has Mr. Lucas's rubber stamp. He's proven he doesn't have the talent or ability to wield it competently. You might be trying to get into a debate over "official". Well, his "official" sucks, and has for a lot of years now. It's a waste of time. In the free market economy, the consumer has the ultimate authority. Since Mr. Lucas has decided that SW is only a consumable product, and not a story with integrity behind it's telling, he is subject to the free market effect of a substandard product. No doubt your response will be that he created so even if it sucks it's his. That is very true. SW is his to do with as he pleases and he is the SW god of every Lucas apologist. But, he's no god in my book and I'd love to tell him what he can do with that rubber stamp. My SW is mine, though.

queeq
You can create your own canon. But there is just one real canon. And that's something we do not discuss around here. Canon is what Lucas says it is. What you do in your spare time, we don't even wanna know.

skekUng
Right. I said it is to some people what Mr. Lucas says it is. I also told you what term I use to describe those people.

How does what I do in my free time at all relevant to the discussion? Who even brought up what any of us do in our spare time?

queeq
I have no idea.

InfernoJG95
all george lucas haters...WTF!!! why do you hate the man that brought star wars?

Sith Master X
You're not in the minority; you're in the majority. It's a small minority that continues to rave & scream years after the fact, despite the enourmous success of the three prequel films (which continued to sell huge on DVD, getting rid of that argument people just went to see & satisfy their curiousity.) The media just likes to talk about the negative perception because smearing is a better news story ( no matter that all 3 films were certified fresh on Rotten Tomatoes.)

Quite true indeed. With each prequel film I went to on opening night, there were lines all the way out the door and some. If everyone hated TPM so much, I'm sure that's why there were huge lines for AOTC and ROTS as well. Keep going back for more of what you hate. roll eyes (sarcastic)

Again, I don't know why everyone is scratching their heads when it comes to the Prequels. Lucas knew his target audience was children because in the 90's Star Wars was popular with the children who watched the films as they were handed down by their parents and bought the merchandising in the stores as well. Therefore, the Prequels were geared toward kids, and who's friggen fault was that...not George's. I applaud him for making films that appealed to children first, because with myself, I always find that I love films that make me feel like a kid all over again.

InfernoJG95
Sith master x 1. Your awesome 2. Those are true words 3. Ummm your awesome

C-3POTheClever
It would be interesting to see another trillogy, but I don't tyhink there should really be one, because it's got to finish somewhere & I think which the sage finished is a good ending to the saga. The prophesy was fulfilled, the sith was destroyed & the force was in ballence. In one way; I think it might even be a better idea (if they were going to make any more films) to make more prequls rather than sequels. What would a sequel trilllogy be about? Lukes children, I guess... But it would be a massave jump in time. I just think it would be best to leave the sage as it is.

queeq
Agreed.

C-3POTheClever
Originally posted by Sith Master X
Quite true indeed. With each prequel film I went to on opening night, there were lines all the way out the door and some. If everyone hated TPM so much, I'm sure that's why there were huge lines for AOTC and ROTS as well. Keep going back for more of what you hate. roll eyes (sarcastic)

Lucas knew his target audience was children because in the 90's Star Wars was popular with the children who watched the films as they were handed down by their parents and bought the merchandising in the stores as well. Therefore, the Prequels were geared toward kids, and who's friggen fault was that...not George's. I didn't think they were that kiddy. Maybe Phantom menace was, but I didn't ROTS was very kiddy. That was the first & probably will always be the last star wars film to get a 12a certificate, or PG-13 if you live in the USA.

darthmaul1
Originally posted by C-3POTheClever
I didn't think they were that kiddy. Maybe Phantom menace was, but I didn't ROTS was very kiddy. That was the first & probably will always be the last star wars film to get a 12a certificate, or PG-13 if you live in the USA.

Jar Jar was kiddy, but there again so were ewoks and caravan of courage & the battle for endor. I think lucas knew he made a mistake with Jar Jar, that is why he pretty much disappeared in II & III.

Lord Shadow Z
Originally posted by darthmaul1
Jar Jar was kiddy, but there again so were ewoks and caravan of courage & the battle for endor. I think lucas knew he made a mistake with Jar Jar, that is why he pretty much disappeared in II & III.

I was quite neutral about Jar Jar myself, C-3P0 and R2 are just as gaffe-prone. I think it was the voice rather than anything he ever did, sounded a bit dopey whereas the Ewoks, Jawas or the droids were not so bad in terms of the noises they made.

I always use the Crazy Frog as a yardstick of 'most annoying' voice then work my way up so Jar Jar wasn't that bad after all.

sweersa
I'd be up for a sequel trilogy.

juggerman
The Darth Bane trilogy would be fantastic if done correctly. As i was reading them i was thinking "this would be awesome as a movie"

It really explains alot about the Sith and why the operate with only two at a time and all that jazz

Originally posted by sweersa
I'd be up for a sequel trilogy.

No-one cares what you think or want.

queeq
Originally posted by juggerman
The Darth Bane trilogy would be fantastic if done correctly. As i was reading them i was thinking "this would be awesome as a movie"

It really explains alot about the Sith and why the operate with only two at a time and all that jazz

Why do so many people want movies that EXPLAIN things. If anything ruins movies it's unnecessary exposition.

juggerman
Because movies that leave you wondering too much are complete garbage. Like the writer just gets lazy and says "Eh let them figure out their own story. It's whatever they WANT it to be OOOOOOHHHHHHH AAAAAAHHHHHHHH"

Not saying that Star Wars leaves you wondering but Bane's Trilogy could be fantastic and it goes back to the old ways and why the Sith never could win when they had a million of them.

Just seems like a good idea to me tongue_ss

queeq
If the stroy is good, it IS a good idea. But hardly for the concept of EXPLAINING.

After all, we didn't really need the PT to understand the OT, did we?

juggerman
I never said it was a good idea BECAUSE it explained anything. That's just a point i find interesting and would make for a good link to the other ones.

It's what would make it connect instead of just being a random event that happened a thousand years earlier.

queeq

There, you said it. The E- word... You said you loved the idea because it EXPLAINS a lot about the Sith.

That's the line I was responding to.

And again: you suggest you need connection for some reason. We never needed connection before. We didn't need it in the OT and we don't need it for the PT. If it's a good story, that should be its ONLY merit.

juggerman
And where exactly was that B- word again? You know the one im talking about right? "Because". I never said i love it "because" of that like you are claiming. I said it would make an awesome movie. Granted i probably should have said "and" before the 2nd line but that wasn't the point i was trying to make. Sorry for the confusion but they were to seperate thoughts

Maybe it's just me but i like when movies from the same universe connect in some way. It doesn't have to be huge and in your face but it's interesting. They wouldn't need to say "hey and this is why there are only two Sith at a time during the time when Skywalker is brought to the Jedi" but it would explain it none the less as soon as it was implemented

queeq
I agree that the only-two-sith is kinda out of the blue. But the problem lies in the PT, and the solution does not lie in making a whole new film to explain it.

It's fantasy, you just have to accept certain things.

But frankly, Star Wars should be left alone now. Until maybe some day, when Hollywood is still out of original ideas, they can do a really good reboot. But I think it's good as it is.

juggerman
The point wasn't to make a whole new trilogy to explain a few thing in the older ones. The point was simply that i believe the Darth Bane saga was very interesting and if done correctly would be amazing on the big screen.

They can't leave out the beginning of the Rule of Two and stay true to the source imo. Bane's whole story is based on the way he destroyed and rebuilt the Sith to eventually rule. It's just a part of the story that will explain something else but that's not the reason i enjoyed it or the reason it would make a good film.

I agree it should be a good while before they make another movie or trilogy if they ever do

queeq
You're using the E-word again. wink

juggerman
Again look at the context. It WOULD explain something. Im not saying it needs to be explained just that it would be in the process.

coolmovies
Again look at the context. It WOULD explain something. Im not saying it needs to be explained just that it would be in the process.

ANOTHER TRILOGY ?? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO mad

BruceSkywalker
so.. i asked this already in the other thread.. is christian bale available?? big grin

DARTH POWER
Originally posted by BruceSkywalker
so.. i asked this already in the other thread.. is christian bale available?? big grin

Lol who do you want him to play? I suppose if he grew a beard he could be an older Luke. Better than a 60+ Mark Hamill playing him!

Also does anyone else think Bradley Cooper would be a good Han Solo? Or is it just me??

Ushgarak
Ok, no need for this thread any more.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.