before christ

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

chomperx9
does all the world use BC as the same time period as we describe it ?

for example lets say theres a book out in pakistan about dinosaurs and they put the time period for a certain species would they put 250000 BM before mohammad instead of BC ?

I mean how is the time period organized through out the rest of the world when different religions believe in different gods.

Omega Vision
Nope. A lot of academic books made in recent years use "BCE" (Before Common Era) instead.

Most of the world like it or not is fixed to the Gregorian Calendar which begins 2010 years ago.

There are other calendars though, there's a Jewish Calendar, a Japanese Calendar, and a Hindu Calendar to name a few but for the most part world governments and academia follow the Gregorian standard.

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by chomperx9
does all the world use BC as the same time period as we describe it ?

Pretty much, all government and scientific group use the BC / AD division (although scientist like to call it BCE and CE).

However, many religions calculate their holidays with different calenders.

inimalist
Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
(although scientist like to call it BCE and CE).

I don't think scientists are the group of people you are describing

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by inimalist
I don't think scientists are the group of people you are describing

Historians? Atheists?

inimalist
Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
Historians? Atheists?

I don't know, I can't say I've met many scientists who would care. Most don't see anymore religious connotation to "BC" or "AD" than they do to other things... which totally escape me now... there are like, religious origins to the names of days and months? ya? you get what I'm saying...

I'd say it's the same people who get pissed about "In God we Trust" on the money.

King Castle
military also uses the julian date if it matters to anyone. i am sure so do other sectors

Symmetric Chaos
I don't know, I can't say I've met many scientists who would care. Most don't see anymore religious connotation to "BC" or "AD" than they do to other things... which totally escape me now... there are like, religious origins to the names of days and months? ya? you get what I'm saying...

I'd say it's the same people who get pissed about "In God we Trust" on the money.

I've been taking history classes that use the Common Era nomenclature for a while now. It's silly, sure, but historians and paleontologists seem to have settled on it.

Digi
I just enjoy the people who think they represent "Before Christ" and "After Death" in a quite literal sense. The looks of revelatory confusion on their faces are priceless when I point out that such associations leave ~30 years floating in between with no way to historically label them.

Granted, most people know better. But for the few that don't, this is a guilty pleasure for me.

Mindship

I'd say it's the same people who get pissed about "In God we Trust" on the money. I would say it's used largely by people who have much of their work made public. It's always been my impression "BCE" was concocted for political correctness, well before PC became mandat--, er, proper.

ADarksideJedi
As far as I know it always is BC and always will be,

Shakyamunison
I think BC was first used around 300 CE, and AD was first used around 700 CE.

Quiero Mota
Originally posted by Digi
I just enjoy the people who think they represent "Before Christ" and "After Death" in a quite literal sense. The looks of revelatory confusion on their faces are priceless when I point out that such associations leave ~30 years floating in between with no way to historically label them.

Granted, most people know better. But for the few that don't, this is a guilty pleasure for me.

AD stands for Ano Domini (Latin: In the year of our Lord), not "After death".

Unless those people think that Jesus only lived for one year.

Digi
Originally posted by Quiero Mota
AD stands for Ano Domini (Latin: In the year of our Lord), not "After death".

Unless those people think that Jesus only lived for one year.

I know what it stands for, but thanks. My point is, there are those who DO think it means After Death, and just never thought about it closely enough to realize that it doesn't make sense. This isn't theoretical, I've met such people.

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Digi
I know what it stands for, but thanks. My point is, there are those who DO think it means After Death, and just never thought about it closely enough to realize that it doesn't make sense. This isn't theoretical, I've met such people.

Yes, there are people who don't know any better.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.