MMA vs Thread. Who would win....

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

long pig
This thread is to debate on who would beat who if they fought. It's also a thread to talk about who you think will win in current and future fights. I'll start, GSP vs Anderson silva. I think GSP will destroy him. I don't think any

Dr. Leg Kick
Excellent analysis assface.

Caps Conscience
Anderson Silva would take GSP's lunch money and use it too by baby powder so that he can go and smack the hell of GSP's momma for allowing her son to even think of facing him.

batdude123
I don't see how anybody can watch the Sonnen/Anderson fight and have any confidence that he'd beat GSP.

The Nuul
Silva could have ended that fight at least 3 times during that fight while injured. Imagine him at full health?

GSP is a boring ass fighter, Silva will beat him.

batdude123
Originally posted by The Nuul
Silva could have ended that fight at least 3 times during that fight while injured. Imagine him at full health?

This "could have" bullshit is a pathetic argument. What did happen was Anderson Silva got taken down at will and controlled for 23 minutes. On top of that, Chael landed the highest amount of punches in any UFC fight ever.

The fight wouldn't have been any different if Anderson was at "full health." Chael's just that dominant of a wrestler, like GSP. Anderson's takedown defense has never been good, as evidenced by the Travis Lutter fight. Lutter has no wrestling credentials, and he has some of the slowest, most telegraphed takedown attempts I've ever seen. There's no evidence whatsoever to support the notion of Anderson being able to stuff the takedown attempt of a 2-time national champion wrestler (Sonnen), so that argument is moot.

On top of that, Chael doesn't even train in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu. "Imagine" if Chael trained a little submission defense? GSP wouldn't have the same problem, considering he's a black belt, and he trains with the best guys in the world on the mat. His top control is much better than Sonnen's.

Stylistically, the match favors GSP.

Anderson Silva is a "boring ass fighter." He doesn't even want to engage BJJ fighters with no stand-up credentials. GSP will beat him.

smile

The Nuul
Some day you'll see that I am right. But I do want to see Silva lose badly, I cannot stand him. Hoping Belfort will beat his ass.

Dr. Leg Kick

Logic FTW!

GSP is effective, and regardless of boring, he gets the job done. Silva can win, but he will have a handful compared to past opponents.

StyleTime
Yeah, this is an extraordinarily complex fight to predict. We don't know how a weight change will affect GSP, and I doubt Silva will drop to 170. Silva's counterstriking matches up well with GSP's offensive standup but GSP is still intelligent and precise with his strikes. GSP is obviously the superior wrestler, but Silva has great submissions from the bottom. Silva has destructive knees from the clinch, but GSP has pretty good clinch takedowns. GSP has great ground and pound, but Silva can KO you with upkicks.

I'm sure the people who "guess" correctly will say "I told you so" when the victor emerges, but I don't think anyone can know this match up for certain. There are a lot of variables.

Also, the ki radiated from a fight between these two might destroy the solar system.

Dr. Leg Kick
Originally posted by StyleTime
Yeah, this is an extraordinarily complex fight to predict. We don't know how a weight change will affect GSP, and I doubt Silva will drop to 170. Silva's counterstriking matches up well with GSP's offensive standup but GSP is still intelligent and precise with his strikes. GSP is obviously the superior wrestler, but Silva has great submissions from the bottom. Silva has destructive knees from the clinch, but GSP has pretty good clinch takedowns. GSP has great ground and pound, but Silva can KO you with upkicks.

I'm sure the people who "guess" correctly will say "I told you so" when the victor emerges, but I don't think anyone can know this match up for certain. There are a lot of variables.

Also, the ki radiated from a fight between these two might destroy the solar system. Co-sign.

I'm not exactly sure how much weight GSP gains during the fight, he comes in at 170 at weigh ins but what is he probably 180 at the fight?

StyleTime
I didn't see that post before.

I'm not sure what he weighs exactly during fight time, but 180 wouldn't surprise me.

Mindset
Originally posted by batdude123
I don't see how anybody can watch the Sonnen/Anderson fight and have any confidence that he'd beat GSP. Easy, Sonnen is better than GSP. awesrg

batdude123
Truth.

Chael is God.

StyleTime
You know, he is the very first person I've ever known of with the name "Chael."

Tattoos N Scars
Suppose Anderson Silva moved up a weight class. How would he fare against Shogun?

The Nuul
If Shogun is at his best, Silva loses.

StyleTime
Originally posted by Tattoos N Scars
Suppose Anderson Silva moved up a weight class. How would he fare against Shogun?
Hard to say. If Shogun Prime shows up, it would be epic. If Shogun's victory over Machida is any indicator, he'd win; however, Silva is a slightly different beast from Machida.

Quiero Mota
I'd like to see Efrain Escudero vs Nate Diaz. Of course I'd be going for Hecho-en-Mexico. One of my nephews went to high school and wrestled with Escudero...and Diaz is just a little puto who has a spotlight he doesn't deserve.

batdude123
Lawlz.

Nate would destroy Efrain.

The Nuul
GSP vs Bob Sapp.

Dr. Leg Kick
Lawlz.

Nate would destroy Efrain. Co-sign

GSP vs Bob Sapp. LOL

Darth Angel
Bas Rutten vs Shogun

batdude123
Shogun.

StyleTime
Yeah, Shogun should take Bas.

Nate should take Efrain too. Nate, and Nick, are pricks though.

According to Nick, he could take GSP so..... dur

Nick vs GSP? shifty

Darth Angel
GSP.

Anderson Silva vs Sakuraba?

batdude123
Silva would probably win, though a prime Sakuraba is a stylistic nightmare for him.

Darth Angel
Very true. I really would pay to see this match. Anyway, what about the fight that never happened, Bas Rutten vs Rickson Gracie?

batdude123
I would think Bas is smart enough to realize that if the fight hit the ground, he'd be f*cked. He's bigger and stronger than Rickson, so he'd use his size advantage to keep the fight standing. From there, it'd be lights out for Rickson, imo.

Bouboumaster
Anderson would messed up GSP for two reasons:
1- The reach
2- The weight

Take a look at what happened to Penn agains tGSP: He weighted, for a fight only, and get mauled in his 2nd fight by GSP.
GSP is a natural 170. Silva is a natural 185. At equal skills, the bigger will win.

batdude123
Originally posted by Bouboumaster
1- The reach
2- The weight

Take a look at what happened to Penn agains tGSP: He weighted, for a fight only, and get mauled in his 2nd fight by GSP.
GSP is a natural 170. Silva is a natural 185. At equal skills, the bigger will win.

The difference in reach between the two is negligible. GSP has a 76 inch reach, and I think Anderson's is 77. It's aesthetically misleading because Anderson is taller.

And I'd agree that the weight would make a difference... if only Anderson could stuff GSP's takedown attempts. It's been said by Greg Jackson that during training, GSP is easily able to take down the light heavyweights he spars against, who are more than likely 220+ pounds before the cut. And as we've seen before, Anderson doesn't exactly have the best takedown defense in the world.

As far as GSP's conditioning is concerned at a bigger weight class, I don't think he'd take a fight that he wasn't 100% prepared for. If he took the time to intelligently put on more weight, like Jake Shields did, it shouldn't make a difference.

StyleTime
It's been said by Greg Jackson that during training, GSP is easily able to take down the light heavyweights he spars against, who are more than likely 220+ pounds before the cut.
I remember hearing that GSP regularly takes down outright heavyweights during training, and I believe it was Randy Couture who said so; however, don't quote me on that because I can't remember where I heard it.

If it's true, that is downright frightening though.

bigchode
anderson silva would shat on his d ick

batdude123
I remember hearing that GSP regularly takes down outright heavyweights during training, and I believe it was Randy Couture who said so; however, don't quote me on that because I can't remember where I heard it.

If it's true, that is downright frightening though.

I don't doubt it. GSP is a freak.

Originally posted by bigchode
anderson silva would shat on his d ick

Which would be the result of GSP raping him, I agree. smile

Darth Angel
If you wrestle GSP and you have no skill, doesn't matter how big you are, GSP will take you down. Don't believe? Then see for yourselves:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gidyqnBSkXI

Tattoos N Scars
Anderson Silva, fighting at his natural..non-competitive weight vs Junior dos Santos?

long pig
Originally posted by Bouboumaster
1- The reach
2- The weight

GSP is a natural 170. Silva is a natural 185. At equal skills, the bigger will win. GSP is a natural 170? My ass. The guy walks around at 205+. He talks about it all the time. Hell, he said it on camera during the AS Sonnen. Fight Mag had an whole spread talking how he does it.. He weighs more than Sonnen. As for Sonn being better at wrestling, that's true when it comes to competition with all the rules and whatnot, but he's not nearly as good at the practical use of it in the cage. And noone is better at mixing striking and takedowns. We know AS is a better striker by far, but check the chael fight, he Totally dominated AS on the feet. AS was worried about the TD. CS beat him on the feet, so can GSP can destroy him.

batdude123
GSP walks around at 190. He said that in order to compete in the MW division, he wants to walk around at 205+.

Bat Kick ftw
I hate lay and pray wrestlers.

srankmissingnin
It's not like GSP is Jon Fitch or something, GSP puts on a good show when he fights...

batdude123
Prime Liddell vs. Prime Henderson

Mindset
Henderson, imo.

He's a better version of Couture.

Now granted, Couture went 1-2, but that's where the better comes in.

Dr. Leg Kick
One of my favorite fights of all time:

Sergei Kharitonov vs Big Nog

Epic back and forth battle.

If we had a rematch today, how do you guyz see the outcome.

Khationov vs Nogueira II

Prime Liddell vs. Prime Henderson

Hendo via Decision

long pig
It's a fight. I you can't get the guy off you, too bad. You lose. The stand up rule is bullshit. The rules should never give a fighter the option to not fight. Any way. Current Cruz up Current Faber?

batdude123
Originally posted by Mindset
Henderson, imo.

He's a better version of Couture.

Now granted, Couture went 1-2, but that's where the better comes in.

Originally posted by Dr. Leg Kick
Hendo via Decision

Interesting.

As far as Hendo/Couture is concerned, they are pretty similar in a lot of ways. However, there are some advantages I'd assign to each of them. I think Couture is the slightly better wrestler (Henderson has been thrown around way too many times throughout his career by "non-wrestlers" to make me think otherwise), more technical striker, and has superior jiu jitsu. Henderson, on the other hand, has more power in his hands, and has a better chin.

Now, on to Chuck vs. Henderson; I'd personally take Chuck. Chuck was the much more versatile striker of the two, and just all around better on the feet. When he was in his prime, he did a great job of mixing in leg kicks and head kicks along with his punches. He always kept his opponents guessing by throwing feints with kicks to set up punches, or vice-versa. Dan was/is a pretty one-dimensional striker. He threw wild, looping punches that left himself pretty exposed in exchanges. With Chuck being a great counter-puncher, I think he'd take advantage of that. Now Dan had (and still does to this day) a pretty epic chin, however he has been rocked a decent amount of times in the past. In Chuck's prime, he had the power knock anybody out with one huge shot. I think if Chuck landed, he'd at least be able to knock Dan down and then finish him with strikes on the ground.

As far as Henderson's wrestling advantage is concerned, I doubt it would play much of a role in the fight. Chuck's sprawl was legendary, and even if Dan somehow managed to get him to the ground, Chuck always had the ability to pop right back up to his feet.

So that's how I see it. I think Chuck would have won either by 3rd round TKO or unanimous decision.

One of my favorite fights of all time:

Sergei Kharitonov vs Big Nog

Epic back and forth battle.

Khationov vs Nogueira II

Sergei.

Originally posted by long pig
It's a fight. I you can't get the guy off you, too bad. You lose. The stand up rule is bullshit. The rules should never give a fighter the option to not fight. Any way. Current Cruz up Current Faber?

Cruz.

StyleTime

Khationov vs Nogueira II

Hard to say. My kneejerk response Kharitonov.
As far as Henderson's wrestling advantage is concerned, I doubt it would play much of a role in the fight. Chuck's sprawl was legendary, and even if Dan somehow managed to get him to the ground, Chuck always had the ability to pop right back up to his feet.

So that's how I see it. I think Chuck would have won either by 3rd round TKO or unanimous decision.

Yeah, Chuck's takedown defense would be a huge factor in that match. I personally don't think Hendo can really compete with Chuck Prime's striking practically at all.

I see it ending similarly to Anderson vs Hendo minus the takedown.....

and in RD 2.

Anderson Silva vs Chuck Liddell (Prime.)

Dr. Leg Kick
Batdude:

Only reason I wouldn't say Chuck is due to his stance. His hands are just so low. In his prime Chuck took some great shots from Vitor and was able to recover very fast, but I can't compare that to Hendo's power.

It would be an interesting match up in their primes.

batdude123
Yeah, Chuck's takedown defense would be a huge factor in that match. I personally don't think Hendo can really compete with Chuck Prime's striking practically at all.

I see it ending similarly to Anderson vs Hendo minus the takedown.....

and in RD 2.

Yeah, something like that.

Anderson Silva vs Chuck Liddell (Prime.)

This is a trap.

If I try to make a case for Chuck, I'll just be looked at as a fanboy.

uhuh

batdude123
Batdude:

Only reason I wouldn't say Chuck is due to his stance. His hands are just so low. In his prime Chuck took some great shots from Vitor and was able to recover very fast, but I can't compare that to Hendo's power.

It would be an interesting match up in their primes.

I just can't see Henderson's striking being that much of a threat to him, in all honesty. Yeah, he has huge power in his hands, but really, that's all he'd have to offer. Guys that Chuck beat back in his prime like Overeem, Belfort, Mezger, and Suloev are all better strikers than him. And Dan's second fight with Misaki just further proves my point. He was getting picked apart with punches and leg kicks, something Chuck did very well back then. I think Chuck would use his reach advantage and throw straight punches and leg kicks to counter Dan's wild looping haymakers, then press the action when the time is right.

There's really nothing I've seen to make me think otherwise.

Dr. Leg Kick
I just can't see Henderson's striking being that much of a threat to him, in all honesty. Yeah, he has huge power in his hands, but really, that's all he'd have to offer. Guys that Chuck beat back in his prime like Overeem, Belfort, Mezger, and Suloev are all better strikers than him. And Dan's second fight with Misaki just further proves my point. He was getting picked apart with punches and leg kicks, something Chuck did very well back then. I think Chuck would use his reach advantage and throw straight punches and leg kicks to counter Dan's wild looping haymakers, then press the action when the time is right.

There's really nothing I've seen to make me think otherwise. All valid points, that stance still bothers me though.

long pig
Have you guys been keeping up with bellator? Very good this year. I got my eye on rick haun to steal the ww title from askren. Worldclass judo and great KB kills. Does Bella' deserve its own thread?

long pig
Don Frye vs Dan Severn...... 'stash war! Whose nose-cozy wins? During Frye's stint in PRIDE, his mustach single handedly protected democracy.

batdude123
All valid points, that stance still bothers me though.

But if you look at those fights back then, he didn't really have his hands down low. I was just watching his fight with Amar Suloev the other day, and he held his hands in a damn-near peek-a-boo style position.

Plus, he never made himself a stagnant target. He was constantly moving and creating angles which made him harder to hit.

batdude123
Don Frye vs Dan Severn...... 'stash war! Whose nose-cozy wins? During Frye's stint in PRIDE, his mustach single handedly protected democracy.

Dan via lay 'n pray.

0mega Spawn
Truth.

Chael is God. god needs performance enhancers? erm

0mega Spawn
& if you think GSP can beat silva you're smoking some dangerous stuff laughing out loud

weight,reach,height all go to silva. theres a reason for weight class

batdude123
Originally posted by 0mega Spawn
& if you think GSP can beat silva you're smoking some dangerous stuff laughing out loud

weight,reach,height all go to silva. theres a reason for weight class

The difference in reach between the two is negligible. GSP has a 76 inch reach, and I think Anderson's is 77. It's aesthetically misleading because Anderson is taller.

And I'd agree that the weight would make a difference... if only Anderson could stuff GSP's takedown attempts. It's been said by Greg Jackson that during training, GSP is easily able to take down the light heavyweights he spars against, who are more than likely 220+ pounds before the cut. And as we've seen before, Anderson doesn't exactly have the best takedown defense in the world.

As far as GSP's conditioning is concerned at a bigger weight class, I don't think he'd take a fight that he wasn't 100% prepared for. If he took the time to intelligently put on more weight, like Jake Shields did, it shouldn't make a difference.

Naija boy
Definitely could see prime chuck beating Hendo...

Anderson beating Prime Chuck

kharitonov would take Nogueira currently i would say.

Ok who would u guys go for in

Ben Askren vs Nick Diaz?

Prime Wanderlei vs 205 Couture

Josh Barnett (from 2002-06) vs Cain Velasquez?

batdude123
Originally posted by Naija boy
Ben Askren vs Nick Diaz?

I'd take Ben, in all honesty. I just think it's a bad stylistic match up for Nick. He's had problems with wrestlers in the past, and Ben is one of the very best pure wrestlers in MMA today. Plus, Ben has the jiu-jitsu chops to defend Nick's submissions and sweeps. His top control is pretty sick.

Prime Wanderlei vs 205 Couture

Couture, for reasons that are similar to my above statement.

This is a pretty interesting match up. I think overall, Cain is the better pure wrestler, but Josh's BJJ is better. He's pretty slick with his submissions and sweeps. Striking-wise, I'd call it a wash. Barnett's stand-up looked great when he knocked out Pedro Rizzo (though it didn't take place during his 02-06 era). I really wouldn't know who to pick here.

On a side note, I've always felt that Barnett would be a stylistic nightmare for Lesnar, even today. I feel like he's big enough and his wrestling is good enough to defend Brock's take down attempts, and even if he did get taken down, he's better than Brock on the ground. And when it comes to striking ability, Barnett is miles ahead of Brock. If Barnett touched Brock's chin, he'd go into "turtle mode."

StyleTime
This is a trap.

If I try to make a case for Chuck, I'll just be looked at as a fanboy.

uhuh
evil face
Have you guys been keeping up with bellator? Very good this year. I got my eye on rick haun to steal the ww title from askren. Worldclass judo and great KB kills. Does Bella' deserve its own thread?
I think the UFC/Pride thread should be renamed, but that is where MMA competition stuff should go.
Frye's mustache wins 3 seconds into RD 1.
On a side note, I've always felt that Barnett would be a stylistic nightmare for Lesnar, even today. I feel like he's big enough and his wrestling is good enough to defend Brock's take down attempts, and even if he did get taken down, he's better than Brock on the ground. And when it comes to striking ability, Barnett is miles ahead of Brock. If Barnett touched Brock's chin, he'd go into "turtle mode."
thumb up

Batdude already covered it pretty nicely, so this won't be long. Crocop managed to dominate Josh with his top game, so a wrestler like Cain might win a decision if he avoids submissions while applying g'n'p.

On the other hand, I haven't seen Cain take on Barnett's level of submissions; additionally, I think it'd take near Crocop Prime levels of striking to make a difference on the feet. I don't rank Cain's striking on that level, so I'd probably go with Barnett.

Plus, long live Pride. sad

long pig
Originally posted by 0mega Spawn

weight,reach,height all go to silva. theres a reason for weight class This is where you can tell the casual fans and the hardcore mma junkies apart. They get swept up with all the hype. GSP is faster, more explosive, stronger, better conditioned and far more well rounded. And i don't care what anyone says, gsp said himself he walks around at 200 plus lbs. And seeing GSP is a superb striker who is even better now. The stand up isn't that far apart. When you add fear of takedowns, GSP will absolutely out strike him. Just like Chael out struck silva on the feet(Silva got rocked and put on his ass at least once every round. Chael got rocked once). Fact is, Silva is an easier win for Georges than some of the 180lbs gatekeepers.

SpadeKing
Not that I'm really getting into this vs. but didn't Silva have Chael beat in stand up the last two rounds before he got taken down for the rest of the round(s) again.

long pig
No. Not in the least. He rocked Chael once, that's it. The rest of the time Chael outboxed him totally rocking him two or three times a round and knocking him down once every round. It was total domination. And honestly, Chael's boxing is terrible. GSP'S striking is superb. People forget that GSPs base is striking. That's what he started out as: A kickboxer . The bjj came later and the world class wrestling is VERY new. Like six years ago he had no wrestling to speak of. If they fought, it'd go down like this: Rnd 1 AS, the slowest starter in mma will get taken down the first kick he throws. GSP will disrupt his flow early an often with pressure while taking him down at will until he's afraid to commit fully with strikes and he'd stop kicking all together. Rnd 2 AS comes on hard, gets taken down and pounded. 345 same. GSP wins. AS is my fav fighter, but he needs to run the fick away from this fight. Stylistically, it's like GSP was created to beat Silva.

long pig
Speaking of GSP'S power, did you guys see him benchpressing 375lbs last week? How the hell can he be that strong? Later he lifted 450 over his shoulders and was jumping over shit. WTF? That guy's on roids, he has to be.

SpadeKing
I re-watched the last two and yeah it was only the 4th round. I can't remember anything else from rounds 1-3 except ground and pound.

Mindset
Speaking of GSP'S power, did you guys see him benchpressing 375lbs last week? How the hell can he be that strong? Later he lifted 450 over his shoulders and was jumping over shit. WTF? That guy's on roids, he has to be. He's a pro athelete and he weighs around 200 lbs.

375 bench isn't really impressive.

batdude123
Anytime you can bench press twice your weight, it is impressive. Especially considering he doesn't weight train just to see how much he can put up, but rather, he does it to make him a better and more efficient fighter in the cage. And hell, I doubt most heavyweights can bench 375.

Naija boy
whoa...chael knocked Anderson silva down once every round? rocked him 2 or three times each round? lmao @ peoples imagination getting the better of them.

Mindset
Anytime you can bench press twice your weight, it is impressive. Especially considering he doesn't weight train just to see how much he can put up, but rather, he does it to make him a better and more efficient fighter in the cage. And hell, I doubt most heavyweights can bench 375. Benching almost twice your weight isn't impressive for a professional athlete.

Yes, he lifts to get stronger; that's usually the idea.

batdude123
Benching almost twice your weight isn't impressive for a professional athlete.

Yes, he lifts to get stronger; that's usually the idea.

The vast majority of professional athletes bench nowhere near twice their weight. That includes heavyweights in MMA.

Mixed martial artists weight train mainly for muscular endurance purposes. They don't train just to get bigger, because that isn't practical when they have to potentially fight for 15-25 minutes.

And quite frankly, unless it can be substantiated with actual proof rather than hearsay, I'm gonna call bullshit on GSP being able to bench 375.

Mindset
Stronger doesn't necessarily mean bigger.

I disagree.

Now apologize.

StyleTime
Apart from fan speculation, I haven't seen evidence that GSP benchpresses 375 lbs.

long pig claims there's a video out there, so I'll have to wait until I see it.

long pig
whoa...chael knocked Anderson silva down once every round? rocked him 2 or three times each round? In the first 20 seconds of round 1 AS was knocked down with a jab. The only time that didn't happen was the th round when chael ran into an elbow while going for the TD. AS was on top for maybe ten seconds before he got reversed and put on his back. There's two possible reasons why Chael dominated the striking: 1. Chael was the first to take the fight to AS aggressively exposing Silva's long known lack of striking defense(All his teammates have that weakness). or 2: Chael's wrestling and pace had him spooked, leaving him with little offense. It was probably both. Now, look at GSP. He's the best practical wrestler in mma. A good enough technical wrestler to probably compete in the Canadian Oly's, he's a good enough striker to do well in K1 if not win a title. He's won many BJJ titles. He's a Silva-Buster

Darth Angel
Stronger doesn't necessarily mean bigger.

I disagree.

Now apologize.

You seem to have no clue about power training to be honest. Anyone who can bench press twice his weight is impressive, no matter what the sport they do.

And while stronger doesn't mean necessarily bigger, the true is that it USUALLY means that. Put 10 lbs of muscle mass in your body and you will notice the overall difference that it will make in your performances, both in strength training or in other froms of contact sports.

Naija boy
In the first 20 seconds of round 1 AS was knocked down with a jab. The only time that didn't happen was the th round when chael ran into an elbow while going for the TD. AS was on top for maybe ten seconds before he got reversed and put on his back. There's two possible reasons why Chael dominated the striking: 1. Chael was the first to take the fight to AS aggressively exposing Silva's long known lack of striking defense(All his teammates have that weakness). or 2: Chael's wrestling and pace had him spooked, leaving him with little offense. It was probably both. Now, look at GSP. He's the best practical wrestler in mma. A good enough technical wrestler to probably compete in the Canadian Oly's, he's a good enough striker to do well in K1 if not win a title. He's won many BJJ titles. He's a Silva-Buster

Chael Sonnen, legitmately knocked Anderson down once in that fight and he slipped the second time. The claim that he rocked Silva two to three times on the feet in each round and knocked him down in every round is just a nonsensical fabrication. Its exxageration bordering on hallucination. Anybody who watched that fight saw this....

Chael outstriking silva likely had to do with Silvas fear of the takedown yes, and Silvas apparent rib injury slowing him down. Not the point however as the events u are claiming occured DID NOT and this is indisputable.

GSP is a tough matchup for Silva no doubt however, as his style is the antithesis to everything Silva. However........outstriking Josh koscheck does not give u good enough striking to win a k1 title.........I mean seriously. Also what are some these Bjj titles GSP has won?

Mindset
Originally posted by Darth Angel
You seem to have no clue about power training to be honest. Anyone who can bench press twice his weight is impressive, no matter what the sport they do.

And while stronger doesn't mean necessarily bigger, the true is that it USUALLY means that. Put 10 lbs of muscle mass in your body and you will notice the overall difference that it will make in your performances, both in strength training or in other froms of contact sports. Actually, I probably have more experience/knowledge in strength and conditioning than you do. This doesn't even have to do with knowledge of wieght training, though, it's common sense. It's not impressive when a large segment of comparable athletes can do it. If everyone could run as fast as Usain Bolt he wouldn't be impressive.

You can get stronger w/o putting on 10lbs of muscle, you can get stronger and gain 10lbs of muscle but stay relatively the same weight because you've lost lbs of fat.

Now go away.

Mindset
^ Forgot to add, GSP isn't benching twice his weight.

I'm kinda thinking like Batdude now though, I'm skeptical if he can actually bench 375.

long pig
Chael outstriking silva likely had to do with Silvas fear of the takedown yes, and Silvas apparent rib injury slowing him down. Not the point however as the events u are claiming occured DID NOT and this is indisputable.

GSP is a tough matchup for Silva no doubt however, as his style is the antithesis to everything Silva. However outstriking Josh koscheck does not give u good enough striking to win a k1 title.. Also what are some these Bjj titles GSP has won? Watch it, he rocked or knocked him down every round but one, MAYBE two. He slipped because he was rocked. Have you ever watched k1? I doubt it. Otherwise you'd know you don't need to be the best striker in the world to compete and win a title. You just need to quite above average, which gsp is, coupled with his athletic ability, he could win a title. Tank Abbot did well in k1. Who has ever outstruck Gsp? Penn? As for bjj awards, he's placed second twice in the Ontario based CGC.

Naija boy
Watch it, he rocked or knocked him down every round but one, MAYBE two. He slipped because he was rocked. Have you ever watched k1? I doubt it. Otherwise you'd know you don't need to be the best striker in the world to compete and win a title. You just need to quite above average, which gsp is, coupled with his athletic ability, he could win a title. Tank Abbot did well in k1. Who has ever outstruck Gsp? Penn? As for bjj awards, he's placed second twice in the Ontario based CGC.

Ive watched the fight numerous times this is indisputable. Ask anyone else who actually did watch the fight, chael sonnet didn not knock Anderson silva down every round or rock him two to three times every round. That is utter nonsense and a figment of ur imagination.

And yes I do watch k1 and Gsp is not going into k1 to win a k1 title. I'm not one of those that believes that k1 striking is unbelievably above what is found in mma as I think that with there are many different aspects that aren't tsking into account in k1 such as double handed clinches,elbows,fear of takedowns etc.
However, it is highly unlikely that gsp who isn't even the best striker in his mma division and whose striking benefits alot from his takedown threat will waltz into k1 and start beating their top guys.

Gsp hasn't been outstruck in mma save Matt sera yes but that is largely due to the fact that he fights smart and takes down most strikers he faces. Furthermore, placing second in Ontario based grappling contests is hardly the same as "winning many bjj tournaments" I mean sheesh, talk about exaggerations.

JayDaDon
Just thought I'd throw something in on the silva/sonnen subject. Silva said in a couple interviews after that fight that his whole goal was to get Chael in the triangle. It was because of how cheal put down the noguiera bros bjj. Also him saying something like he doesn't get caught with his head between another man's legs because he's a republican. When all was said and done, silva finished him how he wanted to. I just didnt think all that many people knew that the triangle was what silva wanted to land the whole fight. The fact that he was injured during the fight makes the win all the more impressive in my opinion.

Dr. Leg Kick
That's why Silva came out wearing the Gi^

long pig
Overeem vs Cain. The Reem, imo is the best heavyweight. Anyone who is a k1 and mma champ is the shit.

JayDaDon
That's why Silva came out wearing the Gi^

Exactly.

batdude123
Overeem vs Cain. The Reem, imo is the best heavyweight. Anyone who is a k1 and mma champ is the shit.

Reem hasn't faced an elite level wrestler in the heavyweight division yet, but if his fights @ 205 are any indication of his takedown defense, I see Cain winning.

long pig
Agreed. But cain hasn't fought even a decent striker, much less one of the best. And his chin is untested. If Kongo can rock him, reem can kill him.

batdude123
His chin is untested? That's just a flat-out lie.

JayDaDon
Kongo can throw big shots. Getting rocked by him isn't that bad. In my opinion Cain has improved alot since that fight too.

long pig
When has he taken a couple good shots from a decent striker?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.