Visual Novels

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

NCRotCA
Anybody else here a fan of visual novels? Seems to truly be one of the most under appreciated genres in the video game medium.

ArtificialGlory
You mean kind of like Monkey Island? Can't say I like those very much.

Nephthys
Naw, he means stuff like Fate/stay night (odd title).

Most of them are glorified dating sims imo.

NCRotCA
Monkey Island's more of just a pure graphic adventure. Visual novels are a sub genre of adventure games that are basically novels accompanied by still images, music, voice acting, with the gameplay revolving around reading through it and occasionally making choices that impacts the story, and as its pretty much a Japan only genre they resemble animes for the most part.

And yeah, there is some overlap between visual novels and dating sims, although dating sims themselves are actually a perfectly good genre. If anything the genre name makes it seem worse than it actually is to people who haven't played them, they're basically romance themed visual novels, with the focus always being on building a relationship with a certain character. It's not so much that it simulates dating as it is a romance themed story with player interaction. The stories and character development are always top notch as well and they can make for quality game experiences.

Have you played Fate/Stay Night ooc Nephtyhs?

NCRotCA
But yeah, way more people should play these, especially given that story driven games seem to be becoming more popular. They're the finest examples of videogame storytelling you can find.

Nephthys
No I haven't. Any good?

NCRotCA
It's pretty good, lol. A bit overrated within the visual novel community imo actually, but still good. I was just curious because you seemed to know of it.

If you want something truly good however look no further then Ever17: The Out of Infinity. Truly one of the best stories I've ever come across and my favorite game of all time. If you ever watched the TV show Lost, replace the Island with an underwater theme park, and up the quality a few levels and you have Ever17. I wouldn't be surprised if the show was heavily inspired by Ever17 actually. A group of people trapped within a place shrouded in mystery with hints of a supernatural/sci fi origin, with an emphasis on the characters' own histories and mysteries and the relationships they build with eachother, with questions being raised about whether they may have all been brought there for a specific reason or purpose.

Screw Lost actually it clearly ripped off of Ever17.

Nephthys
Better than Lost?! Want now.

NCRotCA
Lost fan? Then you'll DEFINITELY like Ever17, as long as you don't hate reading as that's pretty much all it is save for the occasional choice you have to make.

I can send you a working link if you want btw. It is almost entirely you reading through it however just in case you go in expecting something more closely resembling a gameplay experience.

NCRotCA
Yeah here it is:

NCRotCA
You should play it too Artificial Glory. XD

In fact everyone here needs to play this incredible game. : )

Peach
Originally posted by NCRotCA
Yeah here it is:

No no no no no.

No illegal talk, posting of downloads, or anything is allowed here.

Also, stop the multiposting and use your edit button.

ArtificialGlory
Oh, these are not my kind of games at all.

NCRotCA
Whoops sorry my bad, didn't realise it was against the forum's policy. Am I allowed to send it via PM?

General Kaliero
If you're gonna go to the trouble of pairing images with words, at least make a visually interesting comic book, or go all-out and animate it, is my thinking. Visual novels are visually boring.

Whoops sorry my bad, didn't realise it was against the forum's policy. Am I allowed to send it via PM?
No, illegal sharing is illegal, period. We do not support it in any way here.

Peach

There's a section right in the main forum rules - you know, those rules you agreed that you read and you'd follow when you signed up - about copyright.

No you may not.

Originally posted by General Kaliero
If you're gonna go to the trouble of pairing images with words, at least make a visually interesting comic book, or go all-out and animate it, is my thinking. Visual novels are visually boring.

No, illegal sharing is illegal, period. We do not support it in any way here.

Agreed. Visual novels are really not games at all and hence I don't think this thread even really belongs here.

NCRotCA
Well I think the choice making pretty much cements it as being a game as it's not really something you can do outside of it in an appropriate manner.

General Kaliero
Well I think the choice making pretty much cements it as being a game as it's not really something you can do outside of it in an appropriate manner.
Like, say, a choose-your-own-adventure book?

Video games imply a certain amount of interactivity and control. I'm not really sure visual novels qualify. Illustrated CyoA books in digital format.

Nephthys
Yeah, its the same thing as gamebooks. Only higher quality.

NCRotCA
Originally posted by General Kaliero
If you're gonna go to the trouble of pairing images with words, at least make a visually interesting comic book, or go all-out and animate it, is my thinking.

Well to be fair the only real difference is that the text doesn't appear within speech bubbles or boxes which in itself kind of detracts from the visuals in say, a comic book imo. And the art's for the most part pretty amazing. Animations would be nice though.

Peach
However, visual novels are not games. The interactivity level of them is less than that of a choose-your-adventure book, and art coupled with that is not enough to make something a video game.

Closed.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.