Robert Reynolds: The Sentry

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

"Id"

"Id"

"Id"

"Id"

"Id"

"Id"

"Id"

"Id"

"Id"

"Id"

"Id"

"Id"

"Id"
I take no credit for the creation of this informative/respect thread. This is a copy made by Charcan over at Narutoforum.

Galan007
^ Thought the format looked familiar.

Great work regardless. Sentry's respect thread needed to be redone. Badly.

Warlord
thumb up

SamZED
Epic.

Galan007
Apparently Bob's battle with Ares is what weakened him enough to be defeated by the collective group of heroes at the end of Siege...

"In your reality, Ares' death at Reynolds' hands came later, on the field of battle... The exertion required to kill a God under such circumstances left the Sentry weakened. Vulnerable. And ultimately... Defeatable":

http://img502.imageshack.us/img502/5644/sentryweak1.th.jpg

Rage.Of.Olympus
Isn't that from a What If?

It definitely makes Ares come off better, but collectively brings everyone else down. ermm

Galan007
Yes, it's from the latest Siege 'What If'. However, the scan I posted is a retelling of events that had already transpired in Siege... So it *should* be canon.

Rage.Of.Olympus
Originally posted by Galan007
Yes. However, the scan I posted is a retelling of the events that had already transpired in Siege... So it *should* be canon.

Well, then that further muddies the water because I thought the entire point of that scene was to illustrate how easily Sentry can kill even a God.

Based on that scan, Sentry was killed not because he chose to, but because he was weakened. But if killing Ares can make a noticeable drop in power, Thor was all you would have needed to stop him.

Even in death, Sentry's a mess.

Rage.Of.Olympus
So I just read the issue and it makes no sense. Why would killing Ares weaken him yet he can go on rampage and kill everyone including Thor without slowing down?

ankur29
raah who cares...

sentry was hardcore in that issue he smoked thor ... big grin and everyone else

bbrem123
ill go by the actually issue...not a what if...like the art tho in that

Galan007
^ The scan that was posted retells the happenings of Siege, as they transpired in the mainstream universe... Then it goes on to the actual 'What If'.

There's no reason it shouldn't be regarded as canon. Imo.

R3d33m3r
^ The scan that was posted retells the happenings of Siege, as they transpired in the mainstream universe... Then it goes on to the actual 'What If'.

There's no reason it shouldn't be regarded as canon. Imo.

that goes to show you even in DEATH they cant get the damn Sentry right. Killing Ares did NOT weaken void at ALL. The ONLY thing that killed sentry was Bob... B O B.

i swear how to writers get away with such HORRIBLE writing.

"Id"

Galan007
Not really sure what you're saying, Id.

616 Sentry was *apparently* defeated because he exerted a good deal of power to kill Ares, and didn't have any time to recover before attacking Asgard. What If Sentry killed Ares days before he attacked Asgard, thus was fully recovered by the time he did so.

"Id"
Not really sure what you're saying, Id.

616 Sentry was *apparently* defeated because he exerted a good deal of power to kill Ares, and didn't have any time to recover before attacking Asgard. What If Sentry killed Ares days before he attacked Asgard, thus was fully recovered by the time he did so.
Simple.

Prior to that What IF, there was no indication to suggest Sentry taxed himself in killing Ares.

Its clear that What IF Siege, is using the death of Ares as a plot device to push the development of its story.

To make matters worse, the reason for his defeat is clearly addressed in the comic, and the proceeding interview. Which goes against this What IF story.

ankur29
Originally posted by "Id"
Simple.

Prior to that What IF, there was no indication to suggest Sentry taxed himself in killing Ares.

Its clear that What IF Siege, is using the death of Ares as a plot device to push the development of its story.

To make matters worse, the reason for his defeat is clearly addressed in the comic, and the proceeding interview. Which goes against this What IF story.

thumb up

Galan007
Simple.

To make matters worse, the reason for his defeat is clearly addressed in the comic, and the proceeding interview. Which goes against this What IF story. True. However it certainly isn't uncommon for more recent information to be released that changes what we *thought* were established facts. The Watcher told us about events that unfolded in the 616 reality, which ultimately hastened Sentry's defeat. The entire What If was based around what would have happened if said events had transpired differently.

Every What If begins like that. ie. a Watcher tells us what has already happened in 'our' reality, then goes on to show us "what would have happened IF". I have always regarded the former as canon, and the latter as non-canon. /shrug

Regardless, a respect thread isn't really the place to have a discussion like this. But I would be more than happy to continue via PM if you still disagree with my line of thinking.

Bentley
I agree with Galan in his reasoning, it wouldn't even be a hard retcon since it was never stated Sentry had no limits, it was only implied. However I couldn't read the scan because it seemed broken, is it possible to post the link again or tell me the issue number (PM will work).

Galan007
That's weird, the scan IS broken.. hmm

Here it is again:

http://i553.photobucket.com/albums/jj364/galanphotobook/th_sentry_ownares1.jpg

R3d33m3r
once again, its more garbage writing. the only one who knew how to write sentry was Jenkins, after that Bendis dragged Bob through the mud.

as it has been stated, the whole point of ares being killed in siege is that NO ONE could be the void. NO O N E. the only person who could is and ALWAYS has been bob. he forced thor to blast him in his human form by envoking some of the void.

Rage.Of.Olympus
I agree with Galan that the scan should be cannon, but like Id I'm iffy about it.

He can tentacle rape all of Earth, but he'd apparently have been in real deep shit if Ares had come back to life. ermm

It just brings down everyone's stock dramatically (Including Sentry's) but does the opposite for Ares.

Eaea
This reminded me of Bendis saying on his board around the time the second Siege issue hit streets, that Sentry didn't use "conventional means" when murdering Ares. I don't know how serious he was, since he was maybe saying it to placate people expecting Ares to piece himself together with his immortal lifeforce or something by next issue.

Otherwise Bendis did a decent job of planting the seeds of Sentry's demise in the Dark Avengers run, by having Reynolds become increasingly wary of his immortality and then have a deep-seated suicidal streak during the last days of the Dark Reign. But a set of mitigating circumstances doesn't necessarily exclude another, you could even add what Amadeus Cho told his team in Mighty Avengers: that he calculated Loki gave them extra time to turn the battle around, which then meant them raining more attacks on the Void, which ends with Reynolds snapping to.

Dunno, it seems the Sentry's death was never going to be a straighforward affair.

What I found interesting about that issue is Atau also calling the Void the Angel of Death. That's probably going to stick.

I made the original thread by the way. Thanks for the comments.

Rage.Of.Olympus
Either way, I'm thankful his dead. I re-read Fallen Sun and it reminded me of why I hated the Sentry.

Deadline
Originally posted by Rage.Of.Olympus
Well, then that further muddies the water because I thought the entire point of that scene was to illustrate how easily Sentry can kill even a God.

Based on that scan, Sentry was killed not because he chose to, but because he was weakened. But if killing Ares can make a noticeable drop in power, Thor was all you would have needed to stop him.

Even in death, Sentry's a mess.

I'm not so sure. Even if killing Ares weakened him we still know that the reason why he was defeated was because he let himself be killed.

Asagardians aren't immortal like Olympians so I'm not sure if the same thing would happen if he killed Thor.

"Id"

Bentley
Originally posted by Deadline
I'm not so sure. Even if killing Ares weakened him we still know that the reason why he was defeated was because he let himself be killed.

Asagardians aren't immortal like Olympians so I'm not sure if the same thing would happen if he killed Thor.

Bob wanted to die, the Void regained control inmediately after Thor hesitated and got served. Siege seems to be pretty PISy all in all though.

Utrigita
Very nice respect thread.

quanchi112
Simple.

To make matters worse, the reason for his defeat is clearly addressed in the comic, and the proceeding interview. Which goes against this What IF story. thumb up The writer explained this and what if's are what if's. It's already been made crystal clear you are 100 percent correct. I wouldn't worry about those who argue for what if's to be considered canon anyways.

john allerdyce
first off, excellent thread. bob is a beast.

secondly, i agree with galans point of view. like he said, eveyr what if always starts off by going over canon events that have already happened in the 616, before it goes on to the actual what if/non-canon portion. thats 100% correct.

no one is arguing that the what if part itself is canon, just the first part of the story that retells canon events. disputing that is illogical imo. new information was just introduced. get over it.

bbrem123
anyone have scans of the fight in it?

Galan007
-What If 200-
Sentry vs. Marvel Earth:

http://img602.imageshack.us/img602/8246/sentrywhatif1.th.jpg http://img26.imageshack.us/img26/8600/sentrywhatif2.th.jpg http://img148.imageshack.us/img148/5763/sentrywhatif3.th.jpg http://img143.imageshack.us/img143/4068/sentrywhatif4.th.jpg http://img32.imageshack.us/img32/526/sentrywhatif5.th.jpg http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3558/sentrywhatif6.th.jpg

(Part I)

Galan007
-What If 200-
Sentry vs. Marvel Earth:

http://img529.imageshack.us/img529/5937/sentrywhatif7.th.jpg http://img831.imageshack.us/img831/2272/sentrywhatif8.th.jpg http://img189.imageshack.us/img189/6177/sentrywhatif9.th.jpg http://img694.imageshack.us/img694/6181/sentrywhatif10.th.jpg http://img696.imageshack.us/img696/439/sentrywhatif11.th.jpg http://img593.imageshack.us/img593/4523/sentrywhatif12.th.jpg

(Part II)

bbrem123
wow...so basically void was all powerful and raped everybody...but ares was the most taxing thing he did the whole fight? weird...all it does is make it a huge feat for ares lol

ankur29
Originally posted by bbrem123
wow...so basically void was all powerful and raped everybody...but ares was the most taxing thing he did the whole fight? weird...all it does is make it a huge feat for ares lol

thumb up
ares is obviously more taxing then the whole world combined roll eyes (sarcastic)
including avengers ,thor, loki, doom ...
i wonder where herc was... if sentry killed him he would have probably died of exhaustion

Deadline
Originally posted by Bentley
Bob wanted to die, the Void regained control inmediately after Thor hesitated and got served. Siege seems to be pretty PISy all in all though.

No he didn't he was in partial control and Bendis said that Sentry let Thor kill him. Thor had an opening.

"Id"
Originally posted by ankur29
thumb up
ares is obviously more taxing then the whole world combined roll eyes (sarcastic)
including avengers ,thor, loki, doom ...
i wonder where herc was... if sentry killed him he would have probably died of exhaustion

Exactly.
Its not so much that What If offers new information, however loosely it maybe. But the retcon is total PIS. Why put so much stock in it... amirite?

But what do I know, I am just a simpleton. uggh

quanchi112
Originally posted by john allerdyce
first off, excellent thread. bob is a beast.

secondly, i agree with galans point of view. like he said, eveyr what if always starts off by going over canon events that have already happened in the 616, before it goes on to the actual what if/non-canon portion. thats 100% correct.

no one is arguing that the what if part itself is canon, just the first part of the story that retells canon events. disputing that is illogical imo. new information was just introduced. get over it. Wrong, this is an alternate version of the retelling of these events and the writer has already explained these events. This is just a what if and to be ignored outside this comic.

Badabing
I was gonna interject but I see Quan is handling things. thumb up

john allerdyce
Originally posted by Badabing
I was gonna interject but I see Quan is handling things. thumb up what exactly did he "handle"? confused

watcher: "in your reality, ares' death at reynolds' hand came later, on the field of battle"..
http://s553.photobucket.com/albums/jj364/galanphotobook/?action=view&current=sentry_ownares1.jpg

"YOUR reality" is a clear reference to 616. thats how ALL what ifs start... they retell canon events. it really doesnt get any more blatant then that. srsly

Rage.Of.Olympus
Yea, I gotta agree with John. The beginning and end of that issue as far as I can tell are clearly cannon. I see no logical reason why they shouldn't be.

It doesn't matter if it makes no sense -even in within the comic itself- because -bad- comics are like that sometimes.

If someone wanted to provide evidence that Thor -or whatever- killed the Void, just point to Fallen Sun. This is just another comic that suggests that it wasn't Bob wanting to die that allowed Void to die.

Frankly, more issues like this are a possibility if Siege is touched on again. We had to look to an online interview (Useful on forums) to get some type of clarification. I.e. the comic will be intepreted differently from what Bendis wanted or at least intended to do.

My stance: Void was just more bark than bite, and was worn down then killed by Thor and co. I do however think that Bob wanting to die was one of the reasons he didn't ressurect. Still don't understand why his will to die would have any more of an impact now but whatever.

quanchi112
Yea, I gotta agree with John. The beginning and end of that issue as far as I can tell are clearly cannon. I see no logical reason why they shouldn't be.

It doesn't matter if it makes no sense -even in within the comic itself- because -bad- comics are like that sometimes.

If someone wanted to provide evidence that Thor -or whatever- killed the Void, just point to Fallen Sun. This is just another comic that suggests that it wasn't Bob wanting to die that allowed Void to die.

Frankly, more issues like this are a possibility if Siege is touched on again. We had to look to an online interview (Useful on forums) to get some type of clarification. I.e. the comic will be intepreted differently from what Bendis wanted or at least intended to do.

My stance: Void was just more bark than bite, and was worn down then killed by Thor and co. I do however think that Bob wanting to die was one of the reasons he didn't ressurect. Still don't understand why his will to die would have any more of an impact now but whatever. This is a what if and the writer himself explained through an interview why the sentry lost. This wasn't it and is still from a what if. The on panel fighting and the comic supports bendis' own interview. This is only a what if and the rules are very clear about what if's.

Badabing
Originally posted by john allerdyce
what exactly did he "handle"? confused

watcher: "in your reality, ares' death at reynolds' hand came later, on the field of battle"..
http://s553.photobucket.com/albums/jj364/galanphotobook/?action=view&current=sentry_ownares1.jpg

"YOUR reality" is a clear reference to 616. thats how ALL what ifs start... they retell canon events. it really doesnt get any more blatant then that. srsly He handled you and your ilk. sneer

biscuits

Rage.Of.Olympus
Originally posted by quanchi112
This is a what if and the writer himself explained through an interview why the sentry lost. This wasn't it and is still from a what if. The on panel fighting and the comic supports bendis' own interview. This is only a what if and the rules are very clear about what if's.

The What If is still a comic book and if it says otherwise, it trumps what Bendis said online because comics > interviews. You keep saying it's a What If like that's some sort of an argument. The first few pages acknowledged what happened in the 616 and near the end we even see the Watcher from that Universe talking to the Watcher from the 616 regarding the events. The scans Galan posted are cannon. There's no logical reason why they shouldn't be. At the very least, they hold more weight than Bendis' interview on a forum.

That being said, I don't think Ares weakening Sentry makes sense but whatever.

You don't get to pick and chose what's cannon. You tried the same bullshit with the Squirrel Girl scene and are probably going to pull the same shit here.

Edit: Siege #4 doesn't go hand in hand with Bendis' interview. At least not the way people spin it.

Bentley
Originally posted by Deadline
No he didn't he was in partial control and Bendis said that Sentry let Thor kill him. Thor had an opening.

Bendis has no claim on what's canon or not, you can call it retcon if you want to, but what happened its Sentry was never invincible as far as 616 goes.

Rage.Of.Olympus
http://img502.imageshack.us/img502/2233/sentrysucks1.th.jpghttp://img266.imageshack.us/img266/3424/sentrysucks2.th.jpg

"It had to be done."

durthor

Deadline
^ Wait a minute didn't you agree that Sentry let Thor kill him?

Rage.Of.Olympus
As far as I remember my stance has always been that Void was worn down until Reynolds gained some control, but then Void soon returned, and Thor killed him. But Reynolds wanting to die contributed to him not returning (At least to a point)

Galan007
and near the end we even see the Watcher from that Universe talking to the Watcher from the 616 regarding the events. thumb up

http://img593.imageshack.us/img593/4523/sentrywhatif12.th.jpg

ankur29
the guy that wrote that must be mentally retarded

R3d33m3r
i dont care what anyone in this topic says considering all the bias that everyone has towards thor. the void was going to nuke the world, end of story. thanks to a 40 ounce of Marvel and Bendis PIS by writing themselves into a corner with the void being more powerful than Molecule Man, ANOTHER one of my favorite characters suffers as a result. thank you marvel, may Bendis and Joe Quesidilla BURN IN HELL!!! mad mad

the only one who stopped the void was Robert Reynolds. I will stand by it till the day I die that the ONLY person who could stand up to the void was Bob/Sentry. B O B. thats it... bob regained some measure of control with that GOD awful helicarrier nonsense (still pissed at that), saw that Thor didnt want to kill him and he forced thor's hand by killing BOB.. NOT the void. he provoked the void to come out to get himself killed.

end of discussion, its clearly stated.

goodbye.

R3d33m3r
almost forgot, does anyone else HATE Lindy? I've been re-reading Sentry's TPB and god damn she is such a witch some times. was it ever established that she cheated on him w/ that trainer of hers?

what a witch!

quanchi112
The What If is still a comic book and if it says otherwise, it trumps what Bendis said online because comics > interviews. You keep saying it's a What If like that's some sort of an argument. The first few pages acknowledged what happened in the 616 and near the end we even see the Watcher from that Universe talking to the Watcher from the 616 regarding the events. The scans Galan posted are cannon. There's no logical reason why they shouldn't be. At the very least, they hold more weight than Bendis' interview on a forum.

That being said, I don't think Ares weakening Sentry makes sense but whatever.

You don't get to pick and chose what's cannon. You tried the same bullshit with the Squirrel Girl scene and are probably going to pull the same shit here.

Edit: Siege #4 doesn't go hand in hand with Bendis' interview. At least not the way people spin it. The rules are very particular about what if's. We read the comic and the interview supported it. Sorry this only counts for the what if version of these events.

bbrem123
@rage

im confused...u say its cannon but dont believe it?

Bentley
@rage

im confused...u say its cannon but dont believe it?

I'd say the same thing I think: It's canon but not good writing. The last few issues that had Sentry on it were increasingly less consistant, that's part of what drove me appart from the character.

joesha28
He's dead... A character that never had any answers.

Deadline
As far as I remember my stance has always been that Void was worn down until Reynolds gained some control, but then Void soon returned, and Thor killed him. But Reynolds wanting to die contributed to him not returning (At least to a point)

Ok I can go with that.

King Kandy
EDIT

kakuzu

I mean that was a horribly weak Thor anyway which is why it took him so long. If this was back in the original Avengers vls in his original costumed, Thor would probably say "Void have at thee go all out!!" and then continue on to pwn the hell out of him. The funny thing about these new stories is they make the strongest hero look like he needs help from the other heroes, when in reality back in his own comics he was taking out celestials... fighting planets, fighting a planet that made antibodies just as strong as he was.... Really Void didn't even do anything forreal to be considered that much of a threat because he didn't do much, surprised he was able to kill Loki a guy who's taken a direct hit from the destroyers own blast at point blank? I'm not trying to diss sentry but the whole arc he void wasn't fighting anybody to powerful.

GRIMNIR
In my Marvel Universe I would have Sentry as the most powerful being in the Marvel Universe. Only Celestials and above would be more powerful.
I would get rid of the Void aspect completely and make his sole weakness he mental instability.
Scarlet Witch would be a villain and the only character capable of beating her would be Sentry.
He would be Sentry of Earth and be its protector from all threats, called upon by characters such as Iron Man in times of crisis.
He powers would be
Superhuman strength (matched only by Hulk at max rage)
Superhuman durability (matched only by Juggernaut)
Superhuman speed (only Silver Surfer being faster)
Energy and Matter Manipulation on a par with Scarlet Witch.
big grin

kakuzu
Originally posted by GRIMNIR
In my Marvel Universe I would have Sentry as the most powerful being in the Marvel Universe. Only Celestials and above would be more powerful.
I would get rid of the Void aspect completely and make his sole weakness he mental instability.
Scarlet Witch would be a villain and the only character capable of beating her would be Sentry.
He would be Sentry of Earth and be its protector from all threats, called upon by characters such as Iron Man in times of crisis.
He powers would be
big grin

You must not read very many marvel comics huh? Not downing Sentry but one of the most powerful in the universe? No, one of the most powerful heroes than yes. If you just say the celestial, and completely ignore Galactus, Silver Surfer, Thanos, Gladiator, Ego the living planet, Stranger, Beyonder, X man, Atum/demogorge, sky farther level gods(not the weak regular ones like Ares) Utahs race of omnipotent beings, death, eternity, oblivion, chaos, and so many others than your pretty new to comics. You made horrible comparisons by the way. Hulk isn't the strongest in marvel but is he pretty much close to one of the strongest versions of Hulk in strength. Juggernauts durability and Sentrys durability are totally different I.E you look at how they've both been destroyed, nobody really has Hulk durability, if anything you compare it to the other heroes. Silver Surfer isn't the only one faster, when you have others like Northstar, Dr.Stranger, Hell even Thors done twice the speed of light thing, the one black girl who goes light speed when she turns to light, even living laser. Scarlet witch isn't really even and master energy matter manipulator, if anything you thats where you put Silver Surfer, Sersi, or Molecule man. Since he rarely uses that power and has done what they've done you should just put he has the power, don't just automatically compare him to the best, you just make him look bad doing that. Pretty much everything you wrote just really made Sentry look bad, saying he scarlet witch would be the only one that can stop him? Really? She isn't even a villain as much now a days, not only that anybody who can stop her from moving her hands or making a sound can easily beat her, hell cap could with a swing of his shield, If your atleast going to make a comparison say World War Hulk, because it was actually legit. You just made him look really bad man.

Doctor Wang
Sentry mini series 2 was awesome let us not forget that series and forget everything post it.

Endless Mike
Originally posted by kakuzu X man

Didn't he admit Sentry would kick his ass?

carver9
Originally posted by kakuzu
You must not read very many marvel comics huh? Not downing Sentry but one of the most powerful in the universe? No, one of the most powerful heroes than yes. If you just say the celestial, and completely ignore Galactus, Silver Surfer, Thanos, Gladiator, Ego the living planet, Stranger, Beyonder, X man, Atum/demogorge, sky farther level gods(not the weak regular ones like Ares) Utahs race of omnipotent beings, death, eternity, oblivion, chaos, and so many others than your pretty new to comics. You made horrible comparisons by the way. Hulk isn't the strongest in marvel but is he pretty much close to one of the strongest versions of Hulk in strength. Juggernauts durability and Sentrys durability are totally different I.E you look at how they've both been destroyed, nobody really has Hulk durability, if anything you compare it to the other heroes. Silver Surfer isn't the only one faster, when you have others like Northstar, Dr.Stranger, Hell even Thors done twice the speed of light thing, the one black girl who goes light speed when she turns to light, even living laser. Scarlet witch isn't really even and master energy matter manipulator, if anything you thats where you put Silver Surfer, Sersi, or Molecule man. Since he rarely uses that power and has done what they've done you should just put he has the power, don't just automatically compare him to the best, you just make him look bad doing that. Pretty much everything you wrote just really made Sentry look bad, saying he scarlet witch would be the only one that can stop him? Really? She isn't even a villain as much now a days, not only that anybody who can stop her from moving her hands or making a sound can easily beat her, hell cap could with a swing of his shield, If your atleast going to make a comparison say World War Hulk, because it was actually legit. You just made him look really bad man.

I don't know what it is with you and your butt hurt over Hulk but get over it. Hulk is>>Thor in strength and thinking otherwise just make you look terrible.

starlitfan
Originally posted by carver9
I don't know what it is with you and your butt hurt over Hulk but get over it. Hulk is>>Thor in strength and thinking otherwise just make you look terrible.

awww, i hate Thor so much now. i really do. lol

DrDoomsday-360
(( laughing just like thor crazy fanboys they love to overhype him so much that it makes you start to dislike of him and they also won't admit that thor can get his butt kicked like everybody else no matter how powerful he is))

starlitfan
Originally posted by DrDoomsday-360
(( laughing just like thor crazy fanboys they love to overhype him so much that it makes you start to dislike of him and they also won't admit that thor can get his butt kicked like everybody else no matter how powerful he is))

i remember Hulk beating him..he hit him in the face with his own hammer and knocked him out. lol

Gamma Burst
Originally posted by carver9

It's normal for thor fanboys. They can't stop thinking about the Hulk. wink

DrDoomsday-360
Originally posted by starlitfan
i remember Hulk beating him..he hit him in the face with his own hammer and knocked him out. lol lmao i remember that poor thor.

starlitfan
Originally posted by DrDoomsday-360
lmao i remember that poor thor.

lol, i think that was the funnest thing i have seen in comics books. what made it really funny is hulk ran off and left there in a pool of his own blood. that made superman being beaten by batman not look so bad. lol

geekgirl
Originally posted by R3d33m3r
that goes to show you even in DEATH they cant get the damn Sentry right. Killing Ares did NOT weaken void at ALL. The ONLY thing that killed sentry was Bob... B O B.

i swear how to writers get away with such HORRIBLE writing.

Basically, Sentry was killed by BAD WRITING.

The character started out with great potential but the writers obviously had no idea what to do with him and totally messed up the character so badly, they had to kill him.

geekgirl
Originally posted by GRIMNIR
He powers would be
big grin
Sounds like a much better Marvel universe. You should write for Marvel instead smile

Redlineshifter
I know Sentry has been the victim of some questionable writing choices so I wanted to get people's thoughts on a few things:

1)If the Void was defeated by Bob gaining control and letting Thor kill him; how come Bob wasn't able to commit suicide on his earlier attempt?

2) The gap between Sentry's high showings and low showings in really wide, do we average the character as somewhere in the middle or accept him as Molecule Man level?

DrDoomsday-360
i was very disappointed with that void/sentry vs thor battle i wanted those guys battle it out at there best and the writer ruined it, don't get me wrong i love marvel but they need to get some better writers, that's just me

Eel O'Brien
If they ever pick Sentry's story back up, I hope they make the Void a separate character that was manipulating Bob. Kind of like Parallax and Hal Jordan.

I guess Void powers are great for forum battles, but I enjoy the character a lot less with everything that became of him.

SamZED
Originally posted by Redlineshifter
I know Sentry has been the victim of some questionable writing choices so I wanted to get people's thoughts on a few things:

1)If the Void was defeated by Bob gaining control and letting Thor kill him; how come Bob wasn't able to commit suicide on his earlier attempt?

2) The gap between Sentry's high showings and low showings in really wide, do we average the character as somewhere in the middle or accept him as Molecule Man level?
1) Void himself explained it - "You dont really want to die, youre just punishing youself." I guess killing Ares, Loki and destroying Asgard made Bob REALLY want it this time.
2) normally id say middle because with most characters it depends on writers. But Bobs powers went up and down even when written by the same prople. He doesnt have a norm, it fluctuates.

starlitfan
Originally posted by geekgirl
Basically, Sentry was killed by BAD WRITING.

The character started out with great potential but the writers obviously had no idea what to do with him and totally messed up the character so badly, they had to kill him.

they could have fixed him. i don't know Marvel is just in an age of bad writing now. i hope he comes back sometime. i liked him a lot.

SuperiorTech
Originally posted by starlitfan
they could have fixed him. i don't know Marvel is just in an age of bad writing now. i hope he comes back sometime. i liked him a lot.

No they couldn't have when you have been writing character that bad for that long they did the right thing.What you should be hoping for is that someone at Marvel has thought about what they want to do with Sentry how they want him to be portrayed and the right time to bring him back when they do decide to reintroduce him.Maybe this time away from the character will give them some prospective.

starlitfan
Originally posted by SuperiorTech
No they couldn't have when you have been writing character that bad for that long they did the right thing.What you should be hoping for is that someone at Marvel has thought about what they want to do with Sentry how they want him to be portrayed and the right time to bring him back when they do decide to reintroduce him.Maybe this time away from the character will give them some prospective.

that is what i was thinking. that Void part of him wasn't needed and i don't know why that was a part of his story. i get it is marvel ans why knows what they are thinking

starlitfan
Originally posted by SuperiorTech

At a memorial service for Bob Reynolds, CLOC pointedly remarked he would rebuild the Watchtower (which had simply vanished at the moment of Bob's apparent death) at an undisclosed location in preparation for the return of the Sentry, and that no one would be allowed to approach it. CLOC then gives Mr. Fantastic the Sentry's diary and instructs him to read the final sentence of page nineteen, the contents of which Reynolds knew that only Richards would understand. When asked about it, Mr. Fantastic keeps the information to himself.

i guess with that he will return sometime.

"Id"
Some evidence point out, that the Sentry/void is nothing more than the manufacturing of Franklin Richards reality warpings.

His name was Tattletale. Or rather, a more adult version of Tattletale: "The Sentry." A sentry is a soldier who patrols and reports back. In other words, this is Tattletale, Franklins persona from his Power Pack days, his only successful superhero role.
He was described as a life force from "another universe" that wanted to be an adult male hero on this world. (see "The Age of the Sentry" mini-series)
He had almost unlimited power that appeared random - whatever he wanted to do, he could do it.
He was desperate to prove himself.
He was able to ret-con his existence into other's minds.
He was psychologically messed up.
He had split personalities - avatars that existed at the same time
His dark side was the void, that gain its power from the Negative Zone
He ultimately failed and the only way to shut down his uncontainable power was to shut his mind down. Supposedly killed, but the event was not enough to kill him.
He acted in an immature way - fans hated this character, because none of his actions made any sense - but they made sense when seen as the actions of a child who refused to grow up.
He wore a costume with the colors of the Fantastic four (blue, plus orange/yellow for the Thing and Torch) and retconned himself to be Reed Richards' best friend. And of course he kept his signature golden hair. (He made them not recognize him because he wanted to prove himself - all his previous adult attempts had failed when they recognized him and hated him or wanted him young again.)
Sentry asked his robot to give his diary to Reed Richards, and for Reed to read a single entry. Reed saw this entry and then became very upset but did not say what the entry entailed. Did the diary reveal Bob Reynolds' real identity?
http://zak-site.com/Great-American-Novel/ff_franklin.html

SamZED
Interesting theory. But a bit farfetched imo Doubt anyone at Marvel ever concidered that. Also the things Void did.. that'd seriously mess up Franklin's character.

starlitfan
Some evidence point out, that the Sentry/void is nothing more than the manufacturing of Franklin Richards reality warpings.

His name was Tattletale. Or rather, a more adult version of Tattletale: "The Sentry." A sentry is a soldier who patrols and reports back. In other words, this is Tattletale, Franklins persona from his Power Pack days, his only successful superhero role.
He was described as a life force from "another universe" that wanted to be an adult male hero on this world. (see "The Age of the Sentry" mini-series)
He had almost unlimited power that appeared random - whatever he wanted to do, he could do it.
He was desperate to prove himself.
He was able to ret-con his existence into other's minds.
He was psychologically messed up.
He had split personalities - avatars that existed at the same time
His dark side was the void, that gain its power from the Negative Zone
He ultimately failed and the only way to shut down his uncontainable power was to shut his mind down. Supposedly killed, but the event was not enough to kill him.
He acted in an immature way - fans hated this character, because none of his actions made any sense - but they made sense when seen as the actions of a child who refused to grow up.
He wore a costume with the colors of the Fantastic four (blue, plus orange/yellow for the Thing and Torch) and retconned himself to be Reed Richards' best friend. And of course he kept his signature golden hair. (He made them not recognize him because he wanted to prove himself - all his previous adult attempts had failed when they recognized him and hated him or wanted him young again.)
Sentry asked his robot to give his diary to Reed Richards, and for Reed to read a single entry. Reed saw this entry and then became very upset but did not say what the entry entailed. Did the diary reveal Bob Reynolds' real identity?
http://zak-site.com/Great-American-Novel/ff_franklin.html

remember we are never told us what happened with that. you maybe right but it will take time before we really know.

TheHulk
Yipey!!! Sentry returning!

Tony Stark
Originally posted by TheHulk
Yipey!!! Sentry returning!

I'm definitely curious... I hope he comes back to stay. And he just decided to go away to clear out some webs.

TheHulk
Originally posted by Tony Stark
I'm definitely curious... I hope he comes back to stay. And he just decided to go away to clear out some webs. What the f**k?

Tony Stark
What the f**k?

confused

TheHulk
laughing out loud

Tony Stark
laughing out loud

shifty

TheHulk
Originally posted by Tony Stark
shifty stick out tongue

Galan007
A brief scuffle between Sentry(Horsemen) and Thor...

"The Sentry's velocity bends space and time."
"Their atoms are hurled forward at many times the speed of light."
"The incredible process disorients Thor. Even a God of Asgard is incapable of disregarding such velocity.":
http://s4d4.turboimagehost.com/t/16340344_Uncanny_Avengers_010-015.jpg

In the space of a single page, Sentry pushed Thor to a planet "many light years away.":
http://s4d4.turboimagehost.com/t/16340348_Uncanny_Avengers_010-017.jpg

The impact of Sentry hitting Thor(once) is felt across that entire planet:
http://s4d4.turboimagehost.com/t/16340352_Uncanny_Avengers_010-018.jpg

Rage.Of.Olympus
It should be noted Sentry used what seems like telepathy to talk to Thor.

KingD19
Celestial tech is pretty awesome.

joesha28
Thor is disoriented, but the fight just beginning.

"Id"
So the Apocalypse reprogramming can work on entities like the Void?

Shit!

TheGodKiller
^Celestial Life/Death Seeds in recent times have been just as awesome as the Celestials themselves have been awful.

bbrem123
Man I wonder what they are gonna do with Sentry now. Not bad so far I guess.

TheHulk
It should be noted Sentry used what seems like telepathy to talk to Thor. Thus proving his still has telepathic abilities.

Bentley
Why would Sentry suggest he is not angry against Thor if he wanted to die? Sounds to me like he was murdered against his will there.

I'll look for confirmation in the next few issues, it will be nice when we finally redeem this character from the "can only die if he wants to die" myth nonsense smile

Tony Stark
stick out tongue

whistle

quanchi112
Why would Sentry suggest he is not angry against Thor if he wanted to die? Sounds to me like he was murdered against his will there.

I'll look for confirmation in the next few issues, it will be nice when we finally redeem this character from the "can only die if he wants to die" myth nonsense smile The writer confirmed this.

smile

You trying to ignore that is terrible and reeks of bias.

Bentley
We go by comics and that has been discussed to death darling, at least I brought discussion in the light of new information that has appeared.

I'm not going to ignore those new comic showings because that would be bias thumb up

quanchi112
We go by comics and that has been discussed to death darling, at least I brought discussion in the light of new information that has appeared.

I'm not going to ignore those new comic showings because that would be bias thumb up You ignored the obvious Sentry powers before and ignored the writer confirming it. You will try to twist but go right ahead the Sentry went away before because he wanted to. Bottom line. smile

Galan007
The conclusion of Death Sentry and Thor's battle:
http://s4d4.turboimagehost.com/t/16549374_Uncanny_Avengers_011-014.jpg http://s4d4.turboimagehost.com/t/16549376_Uncanny_Avengers_011-015.jpg http://s4d4.turboimagehost.com/t/16549377_Uncanny_Avengers_011-016.jpg http://s4d4.turboimagehost.com/t/16549381_Uncanny_Avengers_011-018.jpg

+1 for Sentry.

Galan007
This should have been the fourth scan in the above set, but somehow it must not have uploaded:
http://s4d4.turboimagehost.com/t/16550470_Uncanny_Avengers_011-017.jpg

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.