Freaks and Geeks

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Mr. Rhythmic
Everyone should watch this show. PERIOD. I'm on episode 2, and it's already one of the best shows I've seen in lord knows how long.

Paul79UF
Adding it to my TiVo now.

Hmmm, not sure if any channel still play the repeats. I'm sure Netflix has the S01 DVD.

Greysen93
Great show, haven't seen it for a while though

Digi
Bump. Just watched. Good show.

It got a Firefly-like following back when it was cancelled, and there were cries for more. I'm not entirely sure it would've continued to work as well into subsequent seasons (then again, most well-written shows don't peak until season 2-3). So I'm not among those that think it's necessarily a tragedy that it ended after one season (18 episodes).

And among the seven main characters, there was really only one that I felt was left with a completely hanging story (Nick). Sure, the "main" character goes off to explore the world in one of those open-ended "the world is your oyster" bus trips that has since become cliche, but that's as good a place as any to leave her. The cliche exists for a reason - the possibility of what could happen is far better than whatever we would have been shown in Season 2. And with Daniel - an arguable secondary lead along with Sam - eventually the writers would have been forced into either showing us the bleak future that is probably in store for his character, or writing him into some forced progressions to give the audience a happy ending that would feel disingenuous. I'm not saying it would've been impossible to avoid either of those traps, but it wouldn't have been easy. I'm happier leaving him playing some D&D with his unexpected new friends.

At one point I lamented that the characters were probably leaning too hard on stereotypes, but that's kinda the point. They were the realities that the stereotypes are based on. No one can actually have all the "geek" experiences that Sam has, for example. They're too densely packed in, and too neatly packaged, to be aligned with reality. But I legitimately recognized one or two from my time in middle school and high school, as well as the corresponding emotions that accompanied the episode. Ditto for a couple of the romantic fumblings of the "freak" crowd. I'm guessing a lot of others identified with them as well. And even when I didn't identify personally, they felt genuine. Only once or twice did the proceedings feel forced for the sake of the narrative (the hot girl/geek guy revelation in '7 minutes of Heaven' was one such example...I've been locked in a closet unwillingly with a girl I considered out of my league. No such character-defining heart to hearts were even considered. But I digress.)

But that was the point. It was still serialized and fitted together neatly for TV. But the characters had the air of authenticity, in a way that is very hard to achieve. Even today, I've seen Big Bang Theory called "blackface for nerds." And while the severity of that particular analogy may be unwarranted, the point is valid. TV still can't give the Dungeons & Dragons (or perhaps video games and comics) crowd portrayals that they can agree and identify with. But those activities are just trappings of the larger point. More correctly, TV struggles to provide an honest portrayal of the emotionally stunted and socially awkward. Freaks & Geeks managed that, at least for a brief period.

Mindset
Digi, watch Undeclared.

Digi
Eh, maybe.

Digi
Originally posted by Mindset
Digi, watch Undeclared.

Watched it. It was no F&G, but was good.

the ninjak
I still have a mad crush on Linda Cardellini.

Though Bill was my fav character.

Mindset
Originally posted by Digi
Watched it. It was no F&G, but was good. You watched all of it already?

Digi
Originally posted by Mindset
You watched all of it already?

It was only one season. So...yeah. Especially with half hour episodes, that's basically a not-too-busy weekend for me.

Originally posted by the ninjak
I still have a mad crush on Linda Cardellini.

Though Bill was my fav character.

When Bill got drunk watching Dallas, I lost it.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.