Wonder Woman Vs Ares (MU)

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Prep-Man
http://media.comicvine.com/uploads/7/70232/1466661-ww_cv602_var_02_large.jpg

vs

http://media.comicvine.com/uploads/7/79830/1443302-ares_01_large.jpg

carver9
Take off bfring and this would probably be a decent fight.

The Nuul
WW 8/10 Ares is a wannabe God with wannabe feats.

SamZED
Isnt WW depowered?

CosmicComet
I'll just assume she's at her standard levels for this thread.

She wins.

Omega Vision
Even current 'depowered' Wonder Woman would probably win. She got her lasso back didn't she?

Sin I AM
Ares was such a disapointment....WW for the majority

Gecko4lif
Depowered ww would have a hard time with ares

she is pretty much street level now

The Nuul
What happended to her? Her and Bats should have a good fight.

Konton
Ares wasn't a bad character at all IMO, but I'm probably the only one who followed his involvement in Wonder Girl's story.

Omega Vision
Originally posted by Konton
Ares wasn't a bad character at all IMO, but I'm probably the only one who followed his involvement in Wonder Girl's story.
This is Marvel Ares, not DC Ares

Konton
Oh. lulz

Sin I AM
yea marvels ares is nothing more than a mediocre brick

Colossus-Big C
Originally posted by The Nuul
WW 8/10 Ares is a wannabe God with wannabe feats. ares is an actual god confused, if anything, wonder woman is a wannabe god..

The Nuul
Originally posted by Colossus-Big C
ares is an actual god confused, if anything, wonder woman is a wannabe god..

laughing

srankmissingnin

Technically, he is an Olympian, which is group of extra-dimensional beings who claim to be gods... Wonder Woman could easily make that claim herself if she was so inclined.

Colossus-Big C
Originally posted by The Nuul
laughing laugh all you want, ares is zeus son, the amazon are just creations of the the gods

Colossus-Big C
Originally posted by srankmissingnin
Technically, he is an Olympian, which is group of extra-dimensional beings who claim to be gods... Wonder Woman could easily make that claim herself if she was so inclined. there officially gods.

The Nuul
laugh all you want, ares is zeus son, the amazon are just creations of the the gods

And this is coming from someone who thinks that Apoc is higher than HH.

srankmissingnin
there officially gods.

Only in the broadest of terms.

Colossus-Big C
Only in the broadest of terms. not really, all gods descended from the god energy floating around earth after it formed

same for DC ,all the gods descend from the godwave

The Nuul
Gump said it best.

"Stupid is as stupid does"

srankmissingnin
not really, all gods descended from the god energy floating around earth after it formed

Yeah, that's not true. The Elder Gods where created as a by product of the Demiurge's energy, but the pantheons are merely beings from a different dimension that showed up on Earth one day and did the horizontal shuffle with Gaea. Even their immortality is derived from external sources (golden apples / ambrosia) and not innate.

Omega Vision
Being a God means next to nothing in mainstream DC and Marvel. Marvel in particular seems to think that being a God entails having Class 30-80 strength and biological immortality.

I loved the characterization of the Gods in Neil Gaiman's Sandman, because they (particularly Odin) actually seemed Godly, even if Morpheus made them seem small.

Rage.Of.Olympus
Has Wonder Woman gotten her lasso or a stat upgrade yet? Because nothing I saw in the first few issue of the new arc makes an argument for Ares not kicking her teeth in.

Yeah, that's not true. The Elder Gods where created as a by product of the Demiurge's energy, but the pantheons are merely beings from a different dimension that showed up on Earth one day and did the horizontal shuffle with Gaea. Even their immortality is derived from external sources (golden apples / ambrosia) and not innate.

Back in the day Asgardian's were uber. They were extremely long lived -even a young Asgardian such as Thor was older than man- any Asgardian with a name had special powers such Heimdall, Sif, Balder etc. making them formidable. Then they introduced that Demiurge crap, retconned the Asgardians into only being reflections of the people of Earth instead of their creators, introduced the Ragnarok cycle incarnation, powered down Odin from being a Universal level force etc. during the Thomas era after Lee and Kirby left.

Thankfully a fair bit of that shit is ignored. Probably because once Simonson took over, he did away with most of that crap etc. Siege didn't help raising the stock of the Gods any, but hopefully Chaos War will. Course since Pak has a hard on for Hercules currently, it's probably the Greek pantheon who'll benefit the most.

The only Gods who rely on some form of sustenance for their immortality are the Asgardians as far as I know. They need the Golden Apples after an unspecified period of time.

Edit: Apparently the Olympians need some form of potion etc. after a very short period of time. Pak recently introduced that.

Heh. Hulk and Superman have more claim to immortality.

srankmissingnin
Originally posted by Rage.Of.Olympus
Has Wonder Woman gotten her lasso or a stat upgrade yet? Because nothing I saw in the first few issue of the new arc makes an argument for Ares not kicking her teeth in.

Back in the day Asgardian's were uber. They were extremely long lived -even a young Asgardian such as Thor was older than man- any Asgardian with a name had special powers such Heimdall, Sif, Balder etc. making them formidable. Then they introduced that Demiurge crap, retconned the Asgardians into only being reflections of the people of Earth instead of their creators, introduced the Ragnarok cycle incarnation, powered down Odin from being a Universal level force etc. during the Thomas era after Lee and Kirby left.

Thankfully a fair bit of that shit is ignored. Probably because once Simonson took over, he did away with most of that crap etc. Siege didn't help raising the stock of the Gods any, but hopefully Chaos War will. Course since Pak has a hard on for Hercules currently, it's probably the Greek pantheon who'll benefit the most.

The only Gods who rely on some form of sustenance for their immortality are the Asgardians as far as I know. They need the Golden Apples after an unspecified period of time.

Edit: Apparently the Olympians need some form of potion etc. after a very short period of time. Pak recently introduced that.

Heh. Hulk and Superman have more claim to immortality.

I think Buri or Bor was directly credited with creation of the Universe once... but like you said, they got hit with the retcon stick.

We don't know a whole lot of about any of the Pantheons that aren't Norse or Greek, but I could have sworn that I recently read the Olympians need to consume Ambrosia to maintain their immortality as well. I wouldn't be surprised of the other undevelped Pantheons need something as well.

Konton
^

Wonder Woman jumped from a plane in flight and landed on the ground unharmed, she held onto the tail end of a plane while it took off and stayed on during flight, she has her lasso back, and she can fly again.

Colossus-Big C
but the pantheons are merely beings from a different dimension that showed up on Earth one day and did the horizontal shuffle with Gaea. thats is why all there children are gods...

Colossus-Big C
Originally posted by Omega Vision
Being a God means next to nothing in mainstream DC . doesnt being a god in DC mean your connected to the god wave? erm

Rage.Of.Olympus
I think Buri or Bor was directly credited with creation of the Universe once... but like you said, they got hit with the retcon stick.

We don't know a whole lot of about any of the Pantheons that aren't Norse or Greek, but I could have sworn that I recently read the Olympians need to consume Ambrosia to maintain their immortality as well. I wouldn't be surprised of the other undevelped Pantheons need something as well.

Yea, pretty sure Buri was. Bor might have been too later on but I'm not sure.

Marvel's continuity is a mess currently. Almost as bad as DC. I have no idea where the Asgardian's stand anymore. Odin has been credited with creating both the Midgardian dimension and man recently. The man part was a straight up memory of Odin's.

Yea, that's the potion was I thinking about. The Ambrosia thing introduced by Pak. It'll probably get ignored though. The Golden Apples are just too deeply routed in Asgardian lore to be ignored however.

Fun fact: Odin was shown accidently creating the creature that all vampires etc. descend from a year or two ago.

Originally posted by Konton
Wonder Woman jumped from a plane in flight and landed on the ground unharmed, she held onto the tail end of a plane while it took off and stayed on during flight, she has her lasso back, and she can fly again.

Nothing you've mentioned there has impressed me. The lasso is her only hope in this fight. Otherwise Ares kicks her ass.

Sin I AM
i always thought it was the Asgardians not the Olympians who needed sustainment....

Rage.Of.Olympus
Yep, that was the case for a long time. Asgardians needed Golden Apples every now and then. With Thor either being the exception or the one not needing the Golden Apples for a much longer period of time than the average Asgardian.

Fun fact: Odin is long past his prime. I would have liked to see the All father at his peak. That brings me to another point: I hate the fact that Pak has the other Skyfathers called All father as well. It wasn't enough to turn Hercules into his version of King Thor apparently.

Starscream M

Fun fact: Odin is long past his prime. I would have liked to see the All father at his peak. That brings me to another point: I hate the fact that Pak has the other Skyfathers called All father as well. It wasn't enough to turn Hercules into his version of King Thor apparently. it makes sense in a way though...why should the norse gods be higher on the hierarchy than the greek and other gods anyways.

Sin I AM
^^

I agree, I always felt a little cheated that the Asgardians seemed to bea little bit higher on the totem pole than the other pantheons

Rage.Of.Olympus
The Norse Pantheon were fleshed out in Marvel first. And I like them better.

Bringing out all these other pantheons and toning down the Asgardians cheapens them and their uniqueness.

Comics aren't meant to be fair.

srankmissingnin
Originally posted by Starscream M
it makes sense in a way though...why should the norse gods be higher on the hierarchy than the greek and other gods anyways.

Because vikings > everything?

Colossus-Big C
It wasn't enough to turn Hercules into his version of King Thor apparently. More like Rune King Thor

Starscream M
if anything, I always felt marvel gave zeus the short stick when it came to gods

zeus is one of the biggest gods of any mythology...yet in marvel, he's kinda lame

Colossus-Big C

Bringing out all these other pantheons and toning down the Asgardians cheapens them and their uniqueness.

Comics aren't meant to be fair. how exactly are the asgardians being toned down?

you do know that the olympion and asgardian pantheons stalemated each other in silver age right?

Colossus-Big C
Originally posted by Starscream M

zeus is one of the biggest gods of any mythology...yet in marvel, he's kinda lame not with pak writing him

Q99
Originally posted by Gecko4lif
Depowered ww would have a hard time with ares

she is pretty much street level now

More than street, meta range I'd say, but it's hard to tell what her new strength/toughness level is precisely.

I hate it when a writer sets someone at a new power level then doesn't tell us what it is so we know whether a new foe they fight (superstrong immortal burned guy!) is impressive to take down or not.

I'm not exactly sure how she'd do against MU Ares. A fight at the least, she has some speed, her bracers, and the lasso and flight now.

She's the champion of the Greek Pantheon (and more specifically, Athena and Aphrodite) and invested with their gifts.

A lot like Captain Marvel, really.

laugh all you want, ares is zeus son, the amazon are just creations of the the gods

Yea, but Diana's way more than the other Amazons, being an amazon is just the starting point.

srankmissingnin
Other than the Asguardians I like the Manidog, theNative American pantheon, the best.

My biggest grip about Marvel's treatment of gods? Thor doesn't have red hair and lacks a beard. Tough guys don't have blond hair. cool

Colossus-Big C
. actually after looking that up its the total opposite

the olympions were introduced in 1940 the norse were introduced in 1965, so the norse werent introduced untill 25 years later stick out tongue

Rage.Of.Olympus
how exactly are the asgardians being toned down?

you do know that the olympion and asgardian pantheons stalemated each other in silver age right?

How are they not? Regular Asgardians are complete cannon fodder. Even the unique abilities that named Asgardians use to have has been lost. Most people have probably forgotten Sif has the ability to warp space and is a teleporter. Heimdall doesn't have his ability to generate cosmic energy, Balder doesn't have his invulnerability anymore. IIRC, Volstagg even had the ability to increase his weight but that might have been a later on revelation.

Yea, the Asgardian and Olympian pantheons stalemated during the Thomas era I believe. Doesn't help your point.

Rage.Of.Olympus
actually after looking that up its the total opposite

the olympions were introduced in 1940 the norse were introduced in 1965, so the norse werent introduced untill 25 years later stick out tongue

Where did you look it up? Because as far as I know the Olympians were introduced in Journey into the Mystery Annual #1 ignoring the early Hercules introduced in the fourth or fifth Avenger's issue.

And I'm positive the Asgardians -at least Thor- were introduced in 1962.

Or are you counting the pre-Marvel continuity? Timely comics I believe was the name.

Colossus-Big C
How are they not? Regular Asgardians are complete cannon fodder. Even the unique abilities that named Asgardians use to have has been lost. Most people have probably forgotten Sif has the ability to warp space and is a teleporter. Heimdall doesn't have his ability to generate cosmic energy, Balder doesn't have his invulnerability anymore. IIRC, Volstagg even had the ability to increase his weight but that might have been a later on revelation.
that didnt happen to make other pantheons shine, thats just writers ignoring stuff, if they were in chaos war they actually would of been toned up, just look at thor

Colossus-Big C
Where did you look it up? Because as far as I know the Olympians were introduced in Journey into the Mystery Annual #1 ignoring the early Hercules introduced in the fourth or fifth Avenger's issue.

Or are you counting the pre-Marvel continuity? Timely comics I believe was the name. they were introduced in the Daring Mystery Comics #6 (September 1940), why would you ignore the early hercules by the way?

srankmissingnin

Or are you counting the pre-Marvel continuity? Timely comics I believe was the name.

Zeus had an appearance in Timely Comics era. A flimsy connection to Marvel continuity Zeus at best, that doesn't exactly over rule your assertion that the Asguardians were fleshed out first.

Rage.Of.Olympus
they were introduced in the Daring Mystery Comics #6 (September 1940), why would you ignore the early hercules by the way?

So the Timely Comics publisher. Journey Into the Mystery is considered to be the first appearance of the Olympians in Marvel comics as far as I know. Besides, like Skrank said, it doesn't refute my argument that the Asgardians were fleshed out first.

Because they clearly chose to revamp Hercules for his appearance in Thor. As a fan of all things Olympian, you should be all for it.

Rage.Of.Olympus
that didnt happen to make other pantheons shine, thats just writers ignoring stuff, if they were in chaos war they actually would of been toned up, just look at thor

Who said that was my argument?

Colossus-Big C
Who said that was my argument? Oh

Omega Vision
doesnt being a god in DC mean your connected to the god wave? erm
Pretty much everything is connected to the Godwave in DC. Morrison's New Gods are the only Gods in DC that are all that impressive.

Colossus-Big C
Pretty much everything is connected to the Godwave in DC. Morrison's New Gods are the only Gods in DC that are all that impressive. i see your point

Q99
Pretty much everything is connected to the Godwave in DC. Morrison's New Gods are the only Gods in DC that are all that impressive.

The Olympian ones are pretty strong too.

I liked their more modern Rucka designs.

Omega Vision
Originally posted by Q99
The Olympian ones are pretty strong too.

I liked their more modern Rucka designs.
They go in and out. Granny Goodness soloed them in Countdown (facepalm moment btw) granted that she was a Trojan Horse, posing as Athena.

Rage.Of.Olympus
Olympians suck in direct combat recently for some reason.

Omega Vision
Olympians suck in direct combat recently for some reason.
DC or Marvel? Or both?

Rage.Of.Olympus
The DC pantheon. Zeus is in particular is a pussy at times.

Colossus-Big C
what comics have they been in recently?

also isnt ares(dc) supposed to be the ultimate oppenent in H2H? i read that he has master over every fighting style and weapon

Q99
The DC pantheon. Zeus is in particular is a pussy at times.

It is noted that as time passed, his power waned a little while Athena, Ares, and Aphrodite got stronger to the point that Athena was able to take over.

Still, he fought and killed Kane Malohai (a Hawaiian god who controls the heavens) in a pretty badass manner. Without anti-god New God tech involved, he can throw down well when he needs to.

tideoftime
Even with her lasso back (#604) and nominal flight ability, I'd say WW would be hard-pressed to defeat (M) Ares; when she's at her standard, however, she would beat his ass. He'd put up a good fight, mind you, but standard WW takes the clear majority against him.

Rage.Of.Olympus
With Ares' upgrade, I'd say his about on par with her physically. Throw in his healing factor, skills and I think a fight between the two would be a hell of a throw down. I'm talking about a fully powered Wonder Woman by the way. Her greatest advantage is her speed but between the two it would mostly come down to strength and skill in my opinion.

Originally posted by Q99
It is noted that as time passed, his power waned a little while Athena, Ares, and Aphrodite got stronger to the point that Athena was able to take over.

Still, he fought and killed Kane Malohai (a Hawaiian god who controls the heavens) in a pretty badass manner. Without anti-god New God tech involved, he can throw down well when he needs to.

Was that explanation behind it? He was all bark and no bite from what I remember.

I know and read the fight you're referring to, but I honestly have no idea how it went down. All I remember about that arc regarding Zeus is his creation of Achilles, and Wonder Woman punking him with that punch when she renounces those Gods.

carver9
With Ares' upgrade, I'd say his about on par with her physically. Throw in his healing factor, skills and I think a fight between the two would be a hell of a throw down. I'm talking about a fully powered Wonder Woman by the way. Her greatest advantage is her speed but between the two it would mostly come down to strength and skill in my opinion.

Was that explanation behind it? He was all bark and no bite from what I remember.

I know and read the fight you're referring to, but I honestly have no idea how it went down. All I remember about that arc regarding Zeus is his creation of Achilles, and Wonder Woman punking him with that punch when she renounces those Gods.

For some strange reason, around the end, it seemed like ares got a speed boost. I remember wolverine along with others commenting on how fast he was. Xman even commented on his tremendous speed along with skaar.

Q99

Zeus comes over asking for Kane to hand over Diana's patronage (which he got for helping her earlier). Milohai says no, Zeus grabs him by the face and blasts him with lightning. They both grow, like, 200 feet tall, Kane repeats his refusal and hits him with a hail of meteors from the heavens, then the two wrestle for awhile, Zeus pushes him back, hits him with lightning, takes him down, then rips out his heart with his bare hand.

As Kane's a healthy god of the heavens and major in his pantheon, I think it's a good showing.

Diana did punch him later, but he just responded with words, they didn't fight.

-
Most of the time, it's really Ares and Athena who get their hands dirty in the mortal world. During Rucka's run, I think the biggest thing Z did was casually sink Themyscira.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.