KMC Lifetime Achievement Award

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Snafu the Great
Okay, last one and this is the ultimate. Lifetime Achievement Award. Rather than 2 seperate catergories for Action/RPG and Fighting simply choose for the respective catergory.

For the Fighting genre, the Street Fighter triple threat of Ryu, Ken and Chun-Li.

Action/RPG is a bit trickier. Half says Samus Aran should deserve the title, while the other says it should be Mario.

THIS IS THE LAST KMC AWARDS THREAD. SERIOUSLY.

AsbestosFlaygon
Fighting: Rugal Bernstein

Due to his popularity and the demand of fans, even after his death, he appeared in future KoF games and crossover games as a final boss.
THAT's how bada$$ he was.

RPG: Chrono

Just cause he is the main hero of one the best RPGs ever made by mankind.

General Kaliero
Ezio Auditore da Firenze is the best, deepest character in at least the recent history of gaming. Born in 1459, Ezio's story truly begins in 1476, when his father and brothers are executed on trumped up charges by a powerful rival family. Ezio vows to exact revenge upon everyone responsible for their deaths, using the equipment and knowledge, inherited from his father, of the ancient Assassin order. His uncle Mario, in their ancestral villa in Monteriggioni, further instructs him in the use of weapons, and the philosophy of their order. A year later, Ezio, Mario, and a small band of mercenaries made for San Gimignano and Ezio's old enemy, Vieri de'Pazzi. Ezio kills him after a brief duel, and tries to extract a confession, but when Vieri makes one last snide remark before dying, Ezio flies into a rage, abusing and insulting his corpse. His uncle Mario reminds him of an Assassin tradition: Respect for those they have killed.

Over a period of 22 years, Ezio takes that to heart as he continues his work. His revenge slowly turns to a higher purpose as the men he kills are revealed to be part of a larger plan, members of the Templars, who are orchestrating a plot to create worldwide order through the loss of free will. Ezio, fully taking on his role of Assassin, strives to prevent this from happening, and in 1499 tracks down the leader of the Templar order and duels him man to man. Soundly beating him down, Ezio at the last moment withdraws his blade, completing his spiritual journey and realizing the futility of revenge. "Killing you won't bring my family back... I'm done."

This is not the end for Ezio. Cesare Borgia leads an attack on Monteriggioni in 1500, destroying the Villa as Ezio and the townspeople flee. Ezio escapes to Rome, where with the guidance of Niccolo Machiavelli he works to collapse the Borgia rule, freeing the people of the city from poverty and corrupt leaders. Along the way, he begins a Brotherhood, training people dissatisfied with the Borgia to be Assassins themselves. By 1503, with a small army of Assassins, Ezio is elevated to Grand Master of the Assassin Order. In a final, desperate gambit, Ezio manages to completely break the Borgia family's power.

Ezio's journey is a long one, and one well worth seeing. Beginning as an angry young man desperate for revenge, over decades of development he matures into a responsible adult, clever and methodical, capable of running a small army of Assassins across the known world while directly battling the powerful Templar order. He does what must be done for the good of all, but never loses the elements that make him human. His shown emotions range from violent rage to intense sadness to joy and grim determination. By the end, he is a man who refuses to let his power control him, instead remaining faithful to the ideals of his order and his status as just one of many, who deserve to be free. He is deep, flawed, and truly human.

That is why I think Ezio deserves a lifetime achievement reward.

NemeBro
John Marston> as a character. estahuh

Phoenix3068
Originally posted by General Kaliero
Ezio Auditore da Firenze is the best, deepest character in at least the recent history of gaming. Born in 1459, Ezio's story truly begins in 1476, when his father and brothers are executed on trumped up charges by a powerful rival family. Ezio vows to exact revenge upon everyone responsible for their deaths, using the equipment and knowledge, inherited from his father, of the ancient Assassin order. His uncle Mario, in their ancestral villa in Monteriggioni, further instructs him in the use of weapons, and the philosophy of their order. A year later, Ezio, Mario, and a small band of mercenaries made for San Gimignano and Ezio's old enemy, Vieri de'Pazzi. Ezio kills him after a brief duel, and tries to extract a confession, but when Vieri makes one last snide remark before dying, Ezio flies into a rage, abusing and insulting his corpse. His uncle Mario reminds him of an Assassin tradition: Respect for those they have killed.

Over a period of 22 years, Ezio takes that to heart as he continues his work. His revenge slowly turns to a higher purpose as the men he kills are revealed to be part of a larger plan, members of the Templars, who are orchestrating a plot to create worldwide order through the loss of free will. Ezio, fully taking on his role of Assassin, strives to prevent this from happening, and in 1499 tracks down the leader of the Templar order and duels him man to man. Soundly beating him down, Ezio at the last moment withdraws his blade, completing his spiritual journey and realizing the futility of revenge. "Killing you won't bring my family back... I'm done."

This is not the end for Ezio. Cesare Borgia leads an attack on Monteriggioni in 1500, destroying the Villa as Ezio and the townspeople flee. Ezio escapes to Rome, where with the guidance of Niccolo Machiavelli he works to collapse the Borgia rule, freeing the people of the city from poverty and corrupt leaders. Along the way, he begins a Brotherhood, training people dissatisfied with the Borgia to be Assassins themselves. By 1503, with a small army of Assassins, Ezio is elevated to Grand Master of the Assassin Order. In a final, desperate gambit, Ezio manages to completely break the Borgia family's power.

Ezio's journey is a long one, and one well worth seeing. Beginning as an angry young man desperate for revenge, over decades of development he matures into a responsible adult, clever and methodical, capable of running a small army of Assassins across the known world while directly battling the powerful Templar order. He does what must be done for the good of all, but never loses the elements that make him human. His shown emotions range from violent rage to intense sadness to joy and grim determination. By the end, he is a man who refuses to let his power control him, instead remaining faithful to the ideals of his order and his status as just one of many, who deserve to be free. He is deep, flawed, and truly human.

I agree with this 100%.

I could not have said it better myself.

RE: Blaxican
Master Chief is the best, deepest character in recent histrory.

Abandoned as a pup! He was found by Muriel, who lives in the middle of nowhere, with her husband, Eustace Baag!

But creeeeepy stuff happens in the middle of nowhere, and it's up to the Master Chief to save his new home! "Stupid Spartan, you made me look bad. BOOGAHBOOGAHBOOGAAAH!"

NemeBro
Originally posted by RE: Blaxican
Master Chief is the best, deepest character in recent histrory.

Abandoned as a pup! He was found by Muriel, who lives in the middle of nowhere, with her husband, Eustace Baag!

But creeeeepy stuff happens in the middle of nowhere, and it's up to the Master Chief to save his new home! "Stupid Spartan, you made me look bad. BOOGAHBOOGAHBOOGAAAH!" Hm. I actually loled.

Frisky Dingo
Ryu....

The guy's got the most famous set of special moves ever. He's fought with the likes Spiderman, Ken the Eagle, and now Jin Kazama. He is 1 of the most copied video game characters of all time. There isn't a single fighting game where 1 of the characters doesn't have @ least 1 of his moves or ALL of them.

All the while, the man still remains N character. Any man who can stand B4 the likes Onslaught or Apocalypse and Dmand a street fight and have them say, "even tho I'm WAY stronger than U, I respect U enough 2 take U seriously", is 1 amazing guy.

Give Ryu the Lifetime Achievement Award. Even if U hate him, U can't deny his greatness.

AsbestosFlaygon
Yeah, if we aren't going to be biased, Ryu definitely deserves the Lifetime Achievement award at least in the Fighting category.

I think it's impossible to choose 1 character over the others, especially since there are different genres in gaming.

If we can count OXO as a character, I guess that thing deserves it.

Wei Phoenix
Link.

Demonic Phoenix
Dark Kahn. gay_rage
He's the gheyest boss to hit gaming recently.

Snafu the Great
I forgot to add one thing. In order to qualify for the Lifetime Achievement Award, your choice MUST BE AROUND for over 15 years.

Zack Fair
Snake.

My fingers were begging for mercy while I pushed Snake forth to complete his final mission. I grew up with him, and he grew older with me.

Nothing and no one deserves it as much as Solid/Old Snake IMHO.

TheAuraAngel

If it were just recent games, I'd agree.

But if we're talking about just game characters that survived the test of time, probably Link or Mario. Samus comes in a close third in my opinion, mostly due to her not getting as much attention as Nintendo's main men.

I like Samus more than both though, so meh.

Nephthys
The Protagonist of the Baldur's Gate series is up there. There's not many main characters who not only beat the villians but get to become a God at the end.

TheAuraAngel
Originally posted by Nephthys
The Protagonist of the Baldur's Gate series is up there. There's not many main characters who not only beat the villians but get to become a God at the end.

I'm reminded of Oban, Star Racers.

§P0oONY
Fighting: Who gives a ****?

Action/RPG: 2 completely different genres and if fighting gets it's own (easily one of the shit-est genres) then action and RPG are too.

Action: Mario, no question.

RPG: Auron, because it has to go to a FF game IMO... and FFVII is massivly over-rated so it's not going to Cloud.

menokokoro
Originally posted by Zack Fair
Snake.

My fingers were begging for mercy while I pushed Snake forth to complete his final mission. I grew up with him, and he grew older with me.

Nothing and no one deserves it as much as Solid/Old Snake IMHO. got my vote.

snake was bread to be the perfect soldier. but even with his superior abilities, he was still a "mortal man" meaning he didn't have any superhuman abilities. despite this, he still defeated everyone he ever encountered, or at the very least survived. including several metal gears, tanks, a powerful psychic, the greatest gunman ever, and an incredibly fast and massively strong cyborg ninja, and many many others. he somehow always gets the upper hand against things he should not be able to.

Peach
Originally posted by Snafu the Great
I forgot to add one thing. In order to qualify for the Lifetime Achievement Award, your choice MUST BE AROUND for over 15 years.

But 'lifetime achievement' awards mean that they've accomplished a lot in the person's (or in this case, character's) lifetime. So this makes no sense; how long they've existed in real-time is not necessarily relevant.

General Kaliero
Originally posted by Peach
But 'lifetime achievement' awards mean that they've accomplished a lot in the person's (or in this case, character's) lifetime. So this makes no sense; how long they've existed in real-time is not necessarily relevant.
Indeed. Restricting it to someone who must have existed for at least three console generations is preposterous.

menokokoro
Indeed. Restricting it to someone who must have existed for at least three console generations is preposterous. yeah, i have to agree here, that limits it to just a handful

Oh god, put some ice on you guys' buttcheeks and deal with it. raver

Mario wins the thread with the current stipulations.

Phoenix3068
My vote is still on Ezio. You saw him from the time he was a baby, moving into being a successful young man, then saw him grow into a new Assassin, rising through the ranks into a Master Assassin supposedly passing the skills of even Altair himself. Of course, you do have to take into thought that the Synchronization bars on Altair are taken away per hit because supposedly he was never hit so that would be a big iff, but still.

I have 3 candidates.

#1: Ezio Auditore de Firenze

#2: Juto from Magna Carta 2

#3: Yoshee!

Tha C-Master
The Protagonist of the Baldur's Gate series is up there. There's not many main characters who not only beat the villians but get to become a God at the end. Baldur's Gate rules. Sarevok stands ready!

Snafu the Great
I have my reasons as to why I added the 15-year stipulation. It's not about how many systems they were on. It's about the impact and their legacy they left in videogames in general. You got to show respect to the old in order to truly understand the new.

Case in point: Chun-li was the first female in a fighting game that proved she can hold her own in a male-dominated genre. And in those years since SF2, you saw her evolve into what she is today.

But Samus is the true pioneer, proving that women can be more than damsels in distress.

General Kaliero
My point is that a 15-year-limit restricts selection to a very small pool of characters, leaving out a great many characters who deserve such acknowledgment just as much, if not more than, anyone from the old days. Anyone who knows me knows I respect the achievements of the first few generations, but I feel that characters have come a long way since then thanks to advancements in storytelling and characterization. It's just silly.

Phoenix3068
If you truly want to give an Achievement to games of that style then you should create a "Classic" style Award.

Peach
My point is that a 15-year-limit restricts selection to a very small pool of characters, leaving out a great many characters who deserve such acknowledgment just as much, if not more than, anyone from the old days. Anyone who knows me knows I respect the achievements of the first few generations, but I feel that characters have come a long way since then thanks to advancements in storytelling and characterization. It's just silly.

Or, to sum this up, just because a character has been around a long time doesn't mean they're automatically better than newer characters.

Phoenix3068
Though for good credentials I must say that there are some KILLER awesome classic characters. I wish the graphics were better but-- actually if you were to take a classic game and make it into a new style with good graphics I'd probably be all over it. Still, my decision remains.

Peach
Originally posted by Phoenix3068
Though for good credentials I must say that there are some KILLER awesome classic characters. I wish the graphics were better but-- actually if you were to take a classic game and make it into a new style with good graphics I'd probably be all over it. Still, my decision remains.

Graphics have absolutely nothing to do with how good a character is or isn't. Or how good a game is or isn't, for that matter.

And on the topic of Samus - I love her, and she was definitely the first strong female character in video games. And while her introduction was neat, it also rather bugs me that they hid the fact that she was a woman until the very end of the game, and that was even only if you got 100% completion, so it wasn't exactly commonly known that she was a woman. And even though she was definitely a pioneer...there have certainly been better, more in-depth female characters since then. She was the first, but not necessarily the best.

Phoenix3068
Sorry Peach I don't mean to argue with you on that matter, but I do actually think graphics affects how good a game in general is, but if we did continue that discussion it should be somewhere more appropriate.

Still, I do agree that it does not change how good a character is. I love a lot of the old characters and nothing about the game itself could really have made me change my opinion on them. I do however think that people like Master Chief is the best just because of how he does in combat. It's been stated and restated in novels and what not that he was simply luckier and a somewhat average Spartan when it came to skill. He had no particular specialty or weakness, he was an all around Spartan. I personally think that any of his comrades could have been better but as far as Video Games go, one of the Noble Team is better than Master Chief. (this part is all in response to the comment that Master Chief deserves it.)

Master Chief >

Peach
Master Chief > a rock

Fixed that for you happy

menokokoro
Graphics have absolutely nothing to do with how good a character is or isn't. Or how good a game is or isn't, for that matter. I agree that having good graphics doesnt mean that it will be a better game than one with poor graphics, but it certainly does give more freedom to make a better game. but the point it, remaking an old game with modern graphics would not necessarily make it a better game, it might actually hurt it.

Impediment
I can't believe nobody has mentioned Kratos, yet.

Phoenix3068
You make it sound like making a game with better graphics would only hurt it and can't possibly make it better. Better graphics does not affect the game play but it can affect the interest a person may have in it. It's like art. You can scribble a stick figure onto a sheet of paper but that doesn't make it the Mona Lisa. It's things like attention to detail that make a lot of things more interesting for the one who views them. I look at a few things when it comes to a good game.

-Graphics
-Plot
-Sub-Story
-Play Length
-Character Development

A good game to me has a decent bit of this. It has strong graphics that make it feel a bit more realistic. It has a good plot that goes into strong detail on the characters and leaves you speechless at the end. It has more to do in the story, subplots, like mini-stories for you to do that may better explain about the character. It has a decent amount of time that you can play; if it doesn't last at least 8 hours it gets pretty boring, I love games that pick up to 34 hours or more. Finally, a good Character Development in which the character has actually progressed over the length of the game. A character who stays the same without change through the entire story is boring (to me). That's why some of my favorite characters (and my personal opinion for some Lifetime Achievement) characters would be people whom have proven themselves even if just in one game. It doesn't take 15 years to see that a character has fulfilled something great in his lifetime.

As far as a true "Lifetime of Greatness" Achievement might go, I don't think there's a single character who can say "Every single year of my life deserves an Achievement because of how much I accomplished each year." Well.. Except maybe for a roleplaying character lol, and I'm talking about stories not games, so yeah, anyone know any games like that?

Fixed that for you happy Reported for editing my quotes! >\

General Kaliero
Reported for editing my quotes! >\
http://0.media.dorkly.cvcdn.com/76/11/c75f5d1320e49f75f4f786bfdd291bca.jpg

Demonic Phoenix
Originally posted by Impediment
I can't believe nobody has mentioned Kratos, yet.

Kratos is above such petty awards.

~ So far, GK's the only one that has actually made a convincing argument for his nominee. Ergo, Ezio would win as of now.

NemeBro
No one else actually cares though.

I could write an essay on why Ganondorf deserves it for being such an outstanding, everlasting villain in his series, and I have written essays on why Ganondorf is an awesome villain, but I will not. Maybe.

General Kaliero
Originally posted by NemeBro
No one else actually cares though.

I could write an essay on why Ganondorf deserves it for being such an outstanding, everlasting villain in his series, and I have written essays on why Ganondorf is an awesome villain, but I will not. Maybe.
You should. It would no doubt be enjoyable to read.

I don't agree, it would probably just end in gross failure like everything else he's attempted. Don't get his hopes up GK. 313

NemeBro
You should. It would no doubt be enjoyable to read. FLATTERY WILL GET YOU NOWHERE!!!

I might do it tonight. no expression

NCRotCA

TheAuraAngel
I hate this thread. I don't know what it wants to be.

Is the award for the character who has done the most in their lifetime? That would be Mario...easily.

Is it for characters who manage to overcome insane universe destroying odds and did something amaze like that? We'd be stuck with Squall as a candidate and...yeah no.

Is it someone who has had a lifetime goal and actually done it (this definition in my opinion is the most suitable)? Cause right now the best argument has been for Eizo, though I can think of others.

NCRotCA
*Ahem*

As long as we're discussing it from an in-universe perspective it goes to Abel, easily.

Anybody who's played Xenogears and knows how profound its story is, and how meaningful Abel's role within it was, would agree wholeheartedly.

TheAuraAngel
Originally posted by NCRotCA
*Ahem*

As long as we're discussing it from an in-universe perspective it goes to Abel, easily.

Anybody who's played Xenogears and knows how profound its story is, and how meaningful Abel's role within it was, would agree wholeheartedly.

I read your essay on the topic (I became uninterested quickly but that's because I got tired)

But Abel gets reincarnated?

NCRotCA
Yeah, upon forming contact with -The Wave Existence- (God) he becomes -The Contact- and repeatedly gets reincarnated until he completes his mission of freeing TWE from -Deus- (artificial God), which he is finally able to do upon resolving his Oedypus complex (a prevalent theme throughout the story; the setting itself reflects the resolution of the Oedypus complex within Xenogears).

The first and final two paragraphs pretty much sum up why it should be Abel. Though it seems according to the TC's guidelines he may not actually qualify?

TheAuraAngel
Yeah, upon forming contact with -The Wave Existence- (God) he becomes -The Contact- and repeatedly gets reincarnated until he completes his mission of freeing TWE from -Deus- (artificial God), which he is finally able to do upon resolving his Oedypus complex (a prevalent theme throughout the story; the setting itself reflects the resolution of the Oedypus complex within Xenogears).

The first and final two paragraphs pretty much sum up why it should be Abel. Though it seems according to the TC's guidelines he may not actually qualify?

That's all I needed to know. Multiple lifetimes disqualify him I think, since he has more than one lifetime for achievements.

Going by those guidelines, it's Mario with ease.

NCRotCA
Well I mean, you could say that they're all technically his one lifetime, given that he is fundamentally the same person and eventually regains all of his memories for each incarnation as Fei.

Peach
You yourself say that he gets reincarnated and has multiple lives - that means multiple lifetimes. That's kinda what reincarnation means.

NCRotCA
Different contexts. Multiple physical lifetimes. A single spiritual lifetime, which I feel is far more relavent when discussing his very character and identity.

TheAuraAngel
Different contexts. Multiple physical lifetimes. A single spiritual lifetime, which I feel is far more relavent when discussing his very character and identity.

Which does not put him on equal terms with other characters and puts him at an unfair advantage. Sorta like Omni-Link.

The Scenario
That's primarily why I wouldn't say Link is much of a candidate. Multiple incarnations, multiple people, multiple liftimes. Each one doesn't do a whole lot, though some have more than one adventure.

NCRotCA
I don't know if you could really bring fairness into the equation. The advantage that's really being afforded to Abel here is the huge amount of character exploration that he receives (that he lives multiple physical lifetimes is irrelevant; it's that his character is explored in such varying conditions). Character exploration is something that I feel largely defines this topic. I wouldn't view it as an unfair advantage in the same way that I wouldn't view the writers giving a character a huge obstacle to overcome as an unfair advantage, or giving the character a means to overcome the obstacle. These are what defines the character.

NCRotCA
But are all the Links truly the same character? All of Abel's incarnations are explored in the same story, are explicitly the same individual, and involve the final incarnation regaining his memories from each previous incarnation. It truly is a single character. But even if you only wanted to include a single incarnation, I'd still say that the incarnation of Fei could qualify.

TheAuraAngel
I don't know if you could really bring fairness into the equation. The advantage that's really being afforded to Abel here is the huge amount of character exploration that he receives (that he lives multiple physical lifetimes is irrelevant; it's that his character is explored in such varying conditions). Character exploration is something that I feel largely defines this topic. I wouldn't view it as an unfair advantage in the same way that I wouldn't view the writers giving a character a huge obstacle to overcome as an unfair advantage, or giving the character a means to overcome the obstacle. These are what defines the character.

Which comes to my own beliefs that a character's actual character has nothing to do with a lifetime achievement. If the character overcame hardships like their own personal beliefs and feelings, then great. That means they overcame those obstacles and completed their goal. But character itself is not achieving something on its own.

That said, Red FTW! w00t

NCRotCA
You can include his achievements under what I stated as character. What I'm saying is that these are the determinents for the journey the character takes over his lifetime and his achievements. I don't think you could say a particular emphasis on a determinent should really qualify as an unfair advantage. Abel's life and achievements are grand, largely because such an emphasis was placed on the exploration of his character and designing his journey in such a way.

General Kaliero
I assumed that a lifetime achievement award would relate to what a character had, well, achieved during their lifetime. And this would involve some degree of character, as a basis to show how great their achievements are. Thus Ezio, for his growth into the Grand Master of the Assassin Order and his fight against the Templars, shaping the very future and staving off the enslavement of all mankind.

TheAuraAngel
You can include his achievements under what I stated as character. What I'm saying is that these are the determinents for the journey the character takes over his lifetime and his achievements. I don't think you could say a particular emphasis on a determinent should really qualify as an unfair advantage. Abel's life and achievements are grand, largely because such an emphasis was placed on the exploration of his character and designing his journey in such a way.

Then just let me explain why I think it's an unfair advantage.

3 lifetimes> 1 lifetime. Compiling everything he does in those lifetimes makes it unbalanced compared to characters with only 1 lifetime.

Peach
Originally posted by TheAuraAngel
Then just let me explain why I think it's an unfair advantage.

3 lifetimes> 1 lifetime. Compiling everything he does in those lifetimes makes it unbalanced compared to characters with only 1 lifetime.

Agreed. And you can faff about with nonsense like 'spiritual lifetimes' all you want; it doesn't change the fact that they are multiple lifetimes and you even admitted as such, and only tried to backpedal once you were told your pet character doesn't qualify.

NCRotCA
But what's so different about that then say, a character who lives three times the length of another character, or a character who's explored with three times the content? Or someone like Mario who isn't depicted as realistically aging at all, for all intents and purposes. Especially considering the added length of time and content of the added lifetimes didn't directly contribute to the ultimate achievement the character finds.

TheAuraAngel
But what's so different about that then say, a character who lives three times the length of another character, or a character who's explored with three times the content? Or someone like Mario who isn't depicted as realistically aging at all, for all intents and purposes. Especially considering the added length of time and content of the added lifetimes didn't directly contribute to the ultimate achievement the character finds.

Because regardless of how long a person lives, it's still only 1 lifetime and achieving something truly great in that one lifetime is what counts as a lifetime achievement.

Since Abel came to terms with his problems because of the multiple lives he has lived through, they do directly contribute.

NCRotCA
Indirectly, I'd say. Still, I maintain that his one spiritual lifetime is what defines him as a character, not his multiple physical lifetimes. Perhaps we could get some feedback from the TC?

TheAuraAngel
Indirectly, I'd say. Still, I maintain that his one spiritual lifetime is what defines him as a character, not his multiple physical lifetimes. Perhaps we could get some feedback from the TC?

Around for 15 years knocks Abel out of the competition anyway. Based on how the TC intended for the thread to be created, it would be Mario. Link doesn't count since he has more than one lifetime and Samus has not left as much an impact on gaming as Mario. No one has.

But, it seems like we're not really paying attention to that. There shouldn't be anyone here that refuses to acknowledge just how much the classics affected gaming in general. It seems the common poster is just opening it up to a broader collection of characters so to stimulate more discussion.

Then again, I am no one special so I have no claim as to what anyone is doing. Just my own observations.

Snafu the Great
Let's try this again. Only several people have gotten the gist of what the L.A Award stands for. It's not about how many game systems the character has been on, but rather their legacy and their contributions to videogames in general, which is why I stuck in that 15-year stipulation. It was originally going to be 20, but I relented. The Lifetime Acievement Award are for characters you grew up with. You watched them evolve over the years, experienced their victories and losses, seen how they came to be.

TheAuraAngel
So not really the characters and what they do in their lifetimes gets the award. Basically who did you grow up with.

Mario, Sonic, Link, Samus, basically old school guys and gals.

I nominate Pac-Man because **** everyone else.

Nephthys
Originally posted by TheAuraAngel
That's all I needed to know. Multiple lifetimes disqualify him I think, since he has more than one lifetime for achievements.

Going by those guidelines, it's Mario with ease.

What? No. erm

Thats like saying Mario is at an unfair advantage because he has about a billion games so lets just disqualify him! He's the same character in essence so he counts. Just like Planescape's Nameless One.

Beside's, its not your thread, so you can't disqualify him. ;p

TheAuraAngel
What? No. erm

Thats like saying Mario is at an unfair advantage because he has about a billion games so lets just disqualify him! He's the same character in essence so he counts. Just like Planescape's Nameless One.

Beside's, its not your thread, so you can't disqualify him. ;p

Mario is never stated to be in a different lifetime in his billion games. I've always been under the impression that Mario has just lived an interesting long life.

The TC has already disqualified Abel so what I say doesn't matter. Still doesn't change the fact that having more than 1 lifetime is an unfair advantage and spiritual lifetime or not, it seems unfair in my opinion. And I don't think I'm alone in believing that.

Zack Fair
Originally posted by Snafu the Great
Let's try this again. Only several people have gotten the gist of what the L.A Award stands for. It's not about how many game systems the character has been on, but rather their legacy and their contributions to videogames in general, which is why I stuck in that 15-year stipulation. It was originally going to be 20, but I relented. The Lifetime Acievement Award are for characters you grew up with. You watched them evolve over the years, experienced their victories and losses, seen how they came to be.

Snake got this in the bag 131

Snafu the Great
Originally posted by Zack Fair
Snake got this in the bag 131

For the action genre. Who should take the award in the fighting genre?

NemeBro
Ryu. Obviously.

You don't become an archetype for nothing.

Snafu the Great
Ryu. Obviously.

You don't become an archetype for nothing.

Why have one when you can have 3? As stated in the opening, Ryu, Ken and Chun-li deserve the award.

NemeBro
Chun-Li I would agree with.

Ken... Eh. I suppose he helped set the standard for the rivalries in fighting games, but meh...

Snafu the Great
Chun-Li I would agree with.

Ken... Eh. I suppose he helped set the standard for the rivalries in fighting games, but meh...

Ryu: (from the UDON comic, in regards to Ken) I taught him to slow down his manic style and rein in his exuberant flash when necessary...while he taught me to look beyond the strict teachings we have learned and build upon them by exerting my creativity.

That and Ken is the first halvsie (person who is part Japanese) fighter in fighting games.

Corrupt_America
Simply cool!

Tha C-Master
Ryu of course.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.