Lord Mar-vell vs. Team

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Black bolt z
Superman
Maxima
Wonder Woman
Surfer
Sentry

vs.

Lord Mar-vell

Who wins?

1: CIS on
2: CIS off

Gecko4lif
Team actually stands a really decent chance to sweep.

With casualties sustained of course.

dmills
Prolly the team. We gave Mar-Vell high marks because of how he casually oneshotted Magus and chumped Nova and the Surfer, but then he went got sonned by Thanos so I don't know where to rank this dude. I think the team will eventually win if they can fight smart.

quanchi112
Originally posted by dmills
Prolly the team. We gave Mar-Vell high marks because of how he chumped Nova and the Surfer, but then he went got sonned by Thanos so I don't know where to rank this dude. I think the team will eventually win if they can fight smart. I mean come on man the guy oneshotted the Magus like he was nothing.

dmills
Originally posted by quanchi112
I mean come on man the guy oneshotted the Magus like he was nothing. Yeah I keep forgetting about that. I just edited my post. It's still hard to give him props based on how easily Thanos slapped him around. If we say that Mar-Vell was high trans level and Thanos was mid skyfather, I guess it would make sense depending on how big we believe the gap is between high trans and mid skyfather.

quanchi112
Yeah I keep forgetting about that. I just edited my post. Still one has to believe that a team with THAT kind of speed and muscle can eventually beat Mar-Vell. The only reason they have a chance is the Sentry. The others die when he wants them to.

dmills
The only reason they have a chance is the Sentry. The others die when he wants them to. The Sentry? Nevermind. I'm not even going to get into that controversy.

quanchi112
The Sentry? Nevermind. I'm not even going to get into that controversy. It would be interesting to see him take on the Sentry at full Void force.

dmills
You think Mar-Vell is that high on the foodchain?

quanchi112
You think Mar-Vell is that high on the foodchain? Yes.

Sr J-Bieb
Prolly the team. We gave Mar-Vell high marks because of how he casually oneshotted Magus and chumped Nova and the Surfer, but then he went got sonned by Thanos so I don't know where to rank this dude. I think the team will eventually win if they can fight smart.
So... Mar-Vell's power goes down because he lost to Thanos?

Makes sense why this forum hates Thanos if that's the case. Can't just be a good feat for Thanos, got to be a low feat for Mar-Vell.

Galan007
Marv didn't lose to Thanos from a battle standpoint -- quite the opposite, in fact. That, however, doesn't change the fact that I don't feel he's got sufficient feats to place him above this team.

Psycho Doctor
^ Looked like Thanos was mandhandling Mar-vell to me.

iceman24567
Gotta say the team

quanchi112
Originally posted by Galan007
Marv didn't lose to Thanos from a battle standpoint -- quite the opposite, in fact. That, however, doesn't change the fact that I don't feel he's got sufficient feats to place him above this team. Thanos manhandled him and then outsmarted him.

iceman24567
Marv didn't lose to Thanos from a battle standpoint -- quite the opposite, in fact. That, however, doesn't change the fact that I don't feel he's got sufficient feats to place him above this team. Marvell was on the losing end but at second glance he didn't get shit stomped like i thought at first

dmills
Originally posted by iceman24567
Marvell was on the losing end but at second glance he didn't get shit stomped like i thought at first Come again?

iceman24567
Come again? Whats confusing you?

dmills
Originally posted by iceman24567
Whats confusing you? Your statement. Care to explain your reasoning?

Galan007
Originally posted by Psycho Doctor
^ Looked like Thanos was mandhandling Mar-vell to me. In issue #6 didn't Marv wave his hand and contain Thanos before stabbing him with the sword he summoned? Can't remember the specifics off hand.

thanos-prime
In issue #6 didn't Marv wave his hand and contain Thanos before stabbing him with the sword he summoned? Can't remember the specifics off hand. He waved his hand and some tentacles came out of the ground and lifted thanos into the air.

dmills
In issue #6 didn't Marv wave his hand and contain Thanos before stabbing him with the sword he summoned? Can't remember the specifics off hand. That was after the slap fest that Thanos gave him in issue 5. Thanos then surrendered which allowed for Marvel to do his thing.

quanchi112
In issue #6 didn't Marv wave his hand and contain Thanos before stabbing him with the sword he summoned? Can't remember the specifics off hand. That's after Thanos dropped him to the ground and didn't fight back at all. Thanos tricked him but while they were actually fighting Thanos had his way with him.

iceman24567
Your statement. Care to explain your reasoning? The fact that Marvell was simply overpowered at the time they barely had a fight i actually think Marvell might have had more fight in him if Thanos had let it continue

D_Dude1210
Mar-Vell's eyeballs were popping out of his head when Thanos had his hand to his throat.

He had just as much fight in him as the teenage female victims in a Friday the 13th movie.

quanchi112
Originally posted by D_Dude1210
Mar-Vell's eyeballs were popping out of his head when Thanos had his hand to his throat.

He had just as much fight in him as the teenage female victims in a Friday the 13th movie. thumb up

iceman24567

He had just as much fight in him as the teenage female victims in a Friday the 13th movie. I actually wanted to see Thanos finish him but not by choking him to death erm

psycho gundam
i remember thanos nearly popping his head like a grape

quanchi112
Originally posted by psycho gundam
i remember thanos nearly popping his head like a grape Yeah, it was outright domination. Mar-vell looked so helpless.

Galan007
Well I guess I was trying to give Marv a bit too much credit then.

Team stomps. smile

thanos-prime
Well I guess I was trying to give Marv a bit too much credit then.

Team stomps. smile Him getting dominated by thanos does change the fact that he casually 1 shots people like the magus.

dmills

He had just as much fight in him as the teenage female victims in a Friday the 13th movie.

LMAO!!!

dmills
Originally posted by Sr J-Bieb
So... Mar-Vell's power goes down because he lost to Thanos?

Makes sense why this forum hates Thanos if that's the case. Can't just be a good feat for Thanos, got to be a low feat for Mar-Vell. Yeah you're right. It's just that after oneshotting Magus and pimping Norrin and Dick I guess I was expecting a bit more of a fight. But yeah it was a good feat for Thanos. I still don't know if I'm quite ready to put Thanos in skyfather turf yet but...He made a good case in TI I guess.

quanchi112
Originally posted by thanos-prime
Him getting dominated by thanos does change the fact that he casually 1 shots people like the magus. Exactly. It's obvious people just don't want to give Thanos credit so let's undermine Mar-vell.

CosmicComet
Yeah you're right. It's just that after oneshotting Magus and pimping Norrin and Dick I guess I was expecting a bit more of a fight. But yeah it was a good feat for Thanos. I still don't know if I'm quite ready to put Thanos in skyfather turf yet but...He made a good case in TI I guess.

Why can't Thanos be low skyfather? Sounds like a legit ranking to me.

dmills
He..... ERRGH...CAAA.....ERGHH I just can't say it!

Psycho Doctor
In TI #4 Didn't Mar-vell nearly kill all the cosmic avengers as he was leaving with some wierd cuthulu like spell?

Galan007
Originally posted by thanos-prime
Him getting dominated by thanos does change the fact that he casually 1 shots people like the magus. Nova put up a decent fight too. smile

CosmicComet
That's because Nova is awesome.

Galan007
Originally posted by CosmicComet
That's because Nova is awesome. Error 404 Not Found

CosmicComet
wut

dmills
Nova put up a decent fight too. smile Nova was thoroughly dominated. Speed blitz casually blocked, shields smashed, psionic defenses casually breached, helmet smashed, armor torn up, WM malfunctioned. I've been a Nova fan for a loooooong time and trust me when I tell you that that was the most thorough ass kicking that Dick Rider has ever received.

dmills
Originally posted by CosmicComet
wut I guess he's not a fan.

Psycho Doctor
I think Mar-vell has a chance. He almost killed all the cosmic avengers (Surfer, Gladiator, Nova, Ronan, Bill, Quasar) with an explosion at the end of TI#4. They only survived because they all channelled their power to Quasar to form a protective shield.

Sr J-Bieb
Nova put up a decent fight too. smile Not really... he got one punched while Mar-Vell looked like he was toying with him. He also got his shields smashed in one punch too, but that didn't connect.

dmills
Not really... he got one punched while Mar-Vell looked like he was toying with him. He also got his shields smashed in one punch too, but that didn't connect. At least he did better than Norrin whistling

the ninjak
Not really... he got one punched while Mar-Vell looked like he was toying with him. He also got his shields smashed in one punch too, but that didn't connect.

He was desperately trying to rescue Namorita.

And Cthulhu CM wins.

Omega Vision
Team

KuRuPT Thanosi
Originally posted by Omega Vision
Team Goes Down

fixed

Nihilist
Marvell.

D_Dude1210
I dunno, that's a freakin solid team. I'd say they lose but get wins.

Lord Mar-Vell wins 7/10. smile

quanchi112
Originally posted by Omega Vision
Team Mar-vell destroyed another solid team and he wasn't even really taking them seriously.

Galan007
Okay, someone needs to fill me in as to what exactly Marv did to give him such 'uber' status.

I saw him kill Magus.
I saw him beat Nova.
I saw him blast Surfer (a blast which caused Surfer no real harm, mind you.)
I saw him get shitstomped by Thanos -- and the owning only stopped when Thanos willingly (key word) allowed Marv to contain/stab him.
I saw Death kill him.

So while Marv might be > Magus, he was still decisively < Thanos, who (correct me if I'm wrong) wasn't at full power during TI...

KuRuPT Thanosi
Okay, someone needs to fill me in as to what exactly Marv did to give him such 'uber' status.

I saw him kill Magus.
I saw him beat Nova.
I saw him blast Surfer (a blast which caused Surfer no real harm, mind you.)
I saw him get shitstomped by Thanos -- and the owning only stopped when Thanos willingly (key word) allowed Marv to contain/stab him.
I saw Death kill him.

So while Marv might be > Magus, he was still decisively < Thanos, who (correct me if I'm wrong) wasn't at full power during TI...

Well I think you got most of my friend... I would only add these comments...

Magus was a pretty powerful character.. In fact, he was Trans level wouldn't you say? Mar-veil one shot killing him would then be pretty impressive.

He not only one-shot surfer but destroyed his board.. which as we know, would take some serious destructive force to do so. We must also remember when he punked Nova and Surfer it didn't even seem like he was taking them seriously while doing so.

Before leaving to go face Thanos... he cast a spell that would've killed the entire team if they didn't all combone their power to add in Quasar shield construct.

We must also remember that Thanos could very well have been upgraded being death's avatar. That was specifically said, but we know he was never death avatar before, so having that title.. one would think it would come with some bonuses. Point being, if Thanos was already Trans at the very least, and many feel he was low skyfather level BEFORE T.I. than after T.I. one could consider him mid skyfather level. So Thanos punking him, isn't really a bad showing for Mar-veil, and imo, doesn't mean he couldn't beat a team full of high/mid heralds

he was still decisively < Thanos, who (correct me if I'm wrong) wasn't at full power during TI... do not encourage them

Galan007
Magus at trans? He's got a few feats at that level, but do you honestly think he was consistently portrayed as such? I mean even Surfer has feats that some might consider trans-level. /shrug

Marv one-shotted Surfer in the sense that Surfer's board broke and he fell to the ground, yes. But Surfer was already back onto his knees in the very same page he was blasted on. That's why I said it caused him no real harm.

I don't believe Thanos had THAT much of a powerup during TI (especially since it was stated that he was not operating at full power, correct?) Anyhow, the biggest 'boost' I think he gained as Death's avatar was the inability to die -- he became immortal in the truest sense of the word.

Just MO. smile

dmills
Originally posted by KuRuPT Thanosi
Well I think you got most of my friend... I would only add these comments...

Magus was a pretty powerful character.. In fact, he was Trans level wouldn't you say? Mar-veil one shot killing him would then be pretty impressive.

He not only one-shot surfer but destroyed his board.. which as we know, would take some serious destructive force to do so. We must also remember when he punked Nova and Surfer it didn't even seem like he was taking them seriously while doing so.

Before leaving to go face Thanos... he cast a spell that would've killed the entire team if they didn't all combone their power to add in Quasar shield construct.

We must also remember that Thanos could very well have been upgraded being death's avatar. That was specifically said, but we know he was never death avatar before, so having that title.. one would think it would come with some bonuses. Point being, if Thanos was already Trans at the very least, and many feel he was low skyfather level BEFORE T.I. than after T.I. one could consider him mid skyfather level. So Thanos punking him, isn't really a bad showing for Mar-vell, and imo, doesn't mean he couldn't beat a team full of high/mid heralds Here's my problem with that. Lets say that we consider Magus to be say, low-mid trans and Mar-Vell as high trans. Is the power gap between low-mid trans and high trans so great that a high trans could oneshot kill a low trans? I don't see it.

dmills
Magus at trans? He's got a few feats at that level, but do you honestly think he was consistently portrayed as such? I mean even Surfer has feats that some might consider trans-level. /shrug

Marv one-shotted Surfer in the sense that Surfer's board broke and he fell to the ground, yes. But Surfer was already back onto his knees in the very same page he was blasted on. That's why I said it caused him no real harm.

I don't believe Thanos had THAT much of a powerup during TI (especially since it was stated that he was not operating at full power, correct?) Anyhow, the biggest 'boost' I think he gained as Death's avatar was the inability to die -- he became immortal in the truest sense of the word.

Just MO. smile So a blast that caused Norrin to yell out AAAAAARRRRRGH!!!, Shatter his board, had him on the ground on his knee holding his head with his bell rang, and not returning to the fight wasn't harmful? I mean considering that the Surfer is supposed to be invulnerable, there had to be some damage done don't you think? Just sayin.

KuRuPT Thanosi

(especially since it was stated that he was not operating at full power, correct?) this is what you're not supposed to encouarage

KuRuPT Thanosi
Originally posted by 753
this is what you're not supposed to encouarage

Galan isn't encouraging anything... he just calls it as the story is portrayed.

Sr J-Bieb
We've never seen Thanos go all out anyway, and he seemed a lot angrier and physical in Imperative, weakened or not. While he might have still been weakened against Mar-Vell, he was still the strongest he was in Imperative at that point in time.

And just because Thanos beat him up, it doesn't mean his other feats are in question... it just means that maybe Thanos is a little more powerful than everyone thought he was...

Magus just blew up a bunch of planets with a word and got disintegrated by a blast. He also overlapped two timelines on top of each other, and managed to trick Peter when he had the Cube. In the same arc-ish.
Surfer got grazed by a blast, and went onto his knees while his board got shattered. Nova got toyed with when Mar-Vell went physical. And the whole team would have been destroyed had Quasar not created a big ass shield.

At the very least, we can say Surfer will be ineffective in this battle (since he can get one shotted pretty easily). If Surfer is ineffective, it wouldn't be a shocker to say some others will be as well...

Galan007

KuRuPT Thanosi
Good post Bran, and you brought up a very good point. This could've been a Thanos who was really pissed and showing his power. Most of his fights... Odin, Tyrant..Afro M even, he was almost laughing and having a good time.. not filled with anger and rage against his foes.

Question Bran.... Do you think Thanos was upgraded as an Avatar of Death or do you believe Thanos could've done what he did in this arc pre T.I., in a weakened state, but just get serious and angry?

TI thanos was just about at his strongest portrayal ever without outside power sources and had the immortality upgrade without which he would have been kileed 3 times in the story, so it's absurd to roll back and claim he was weaker than classic thanos to say that thanos had actually been a skyfather (considering mar-vell a high trans and magus a mid or low trans) all along.

Sr J-Bieb
Good post Bran, and you brought up a very good point. This could've been a Thanos who was really pissed and showing his power. Most of his fights... Odin, Tyrant..Afro M even, he was almost laughing and having a good time.. not filled with anger and rage against his foes.

Question Bran.... Do you think Thanos was upgraded as an Avatar of Death or do you believe Thanos could've done what he did in this arc pre T.I., in a weakened state, but just get serious and angry?
I think he was given powers, IE immortality, and killing immortal beings, but I don't think he was upgraded. It's not like he showed some massive power boost, he was just shown as still really powerful, minus fighting as smart as he usually does.

Plus, him being upgraded and weakened at the same time doesn't exactly work out...

KuRuPT Thanosi
Well I guess our opinions differ where Magus is concerned. Do I think it was impressive how easily Marv was able to kill him? Absolutely. But that is also one of Marv's best on panel feats (imo) -- and personally I don't think that is enough to place him in the uber echelons of power.

Don't get me wrong, I think Marv's blast certainly caused Surfer pain -- but pain =/= substantial harm. Like I said, he was back onto his knees in the very same page he was blasted in. How harmful could it have been to him?

TI Thanos may very well have had an upgrade... Not disputing that. But because he wasn't operating at full power during that arc, we never got to see the extent of those upgrades. Either way, I don't feel that TI Thanos demonstrated any abilities greater than what his classic self was capable of. That's important because I personally wouldn't give his classic self strong odds against this team -- and Marv was quite a bit inferior to him.

Again, just MO.

I get what you're saying In Re: Lack of feats to conclusively place him where some are placing him. Don't really disagree there as Mar-veil hasn't had many. However, and I think you agree, doesn't mean we can't use logical reasoning to deduce what he might be able to do on a consistent basis.. ergo.. placing him at some level of power. I'm still curious though... you would place Magus.. someone who casually destroys planets and manipulates timelines.. as a high herald?

I agree it didn't KO him.. but you don't think a grazing blow that still destroys his board and rings his bell good is powerful blast. If it did all that by just grazing surfer.. what would a direct blast do...

Lastly, I just want to clarify your point because I'm still a little confused on your viewpoint. So you believe classic Thanos, in a weakened state, could pull off all the feats he did in this arc? I believe that is what you're saying so I just want to make sure. Of course, this is possible, I really don't know for sure myself. It just seems to me like there was some upgrade to me IMO

Sr J-Bieb
Originally posted by 753
TI thanos was just about at his strongest portrayal ever without outside power sources and had the immortality upgrade without which he would have been kileed 3 times in the story, so it's absurd to roll back and claim he was weaker than classic thanos to say that thanos had actually been a skyfather (considering mar-vell a high trans and magus a mid or low trans) all along. He would have been killed once without the immortality...

Also, Skyfather has quite a few levels as well. Just because he's not as powerful as Odin doesn't mean he can't be on that level. You don't have to be as powerful as Surfer to be herald level, and you don't have to be as powerful as Odin to be Skyfather level (as evidenced by Odin being the strongest Skyfather...).

KuRuPT Thanosi
I think he was given powers, IE immortality, and killing immortal beings, but I don't think he was upgraded. It's not like he showed some massive power boost, he was just shown as still really powerful, minus fighting as smart as he usually does.

Plus, him being upgraded and weakened at the same time doesn't exactly work out...

Hmmmm I understand your point, and it is also possible. However, I would point out that, that Thanos has never been shown to deal with drax so easily. One shot kill him even. He also one shot killed Phyla. now, he has one shot killed a HH in Warlock before, but my point is, he never dealt with drax as easily as he did. However, it could be just him getting serious and filled with anger

I will disagree that it doesn't make sense though... it can logically make sense.... If your power is normally at lets say 70/100 (power scale) but you get a boost to 90/100... weakening someone at 70 might put them at 55... weakening someone at 90 might put them at 75.. It could still make sense is my only point.

He would have been killed once without the immortality...

Also, Skyfather has quite a few levels as well. Just because he's not as powerful as Odin doesn't mean he can't be on that level. You don't have to be as powerful as Surfer to be herald level, and you don't have to be as powerful as Odin to be Skyfather level (as evidenced by Odin being the strongest Skyfather...).

1. Godslayer - gamorra was the first one to understand he had come back immortal

2. CC - this one you could claim starlord was just going for a KO

3. Drax

Nihilist
Its pointless trying to say how strong Marvell was, because others will downplay him in order to lowball Thanos and how he performed against him and others.

Sr J-Bieb
Originally posted by 753
1. Godslayer - gamorra was the first one to understand he had come back immortal

2. CC - this one you could claim starlord was just going for a KO

3. Drax Godslayer broke on his skin. Kind of hard to kill someone with a blade when it breaks.

The CC didn't even knock Thanos out... it just shook him up and released the mental block... And the telepaths puts him in a coma...
Again, no where near a kill.

Galan007
I get what you're saying In Re: Lack of feats to conclusively place him where some are placing him. Don't really disagree there as Mar-veil hasn't had many. However, and I think you agree, doesn't mean we can't use logical reasoning to deduce what he might be able to do on a consistent basis.. ergo.. placing him at some level of power. I'm still curious though... you would place Magus.. someone who casually destroys planets and manipulates timelines.. as a high herald?

I agree it didn't KO him.. but you don't think a grazing blow that still destroys his board and rings his bell good is powerful blast. If it did all that by just grazing surfer.. what would a direct blast do...

Lastly, I just want to clarify your point because I'm still a little confused on your viewpoint. So you believe classic Thanos, in a weakened state, could pull off all the feats he did in this arc? I believe that is what you're saying so I just want to make sure. Of course, this is possible, I really don't know for sure myself. It just seems to me like there was some upgrade to me IMO Planet-busting wouldn't be enough to place Magus beyond the herald tier. The timeline manipulation thing might be enough, though (depending on the extent of said manipulation.) Can you post scans or direct me to an issue number where I can find these timeline manipulation feats? I can't recall them off-hand.

It really wasn't a grazing blast. I mean, Surfer was within a matter of feet from Marv when he was blasted. At any rate, I never said the blast wasn't powerful -- it just wasn't powerful enough to deal out any real damage to Surfer.

No, I just meant that in general, classic Thanos could have likely matched any feats preformed by TI Thanos.

Sr J-Bieb
Hmmmm I understand your point, and it is also possible. However, I would point out that, that Thanos has never been shown to deal with drax so easily. One shot kill him even. He also one shot killed Phyla. now, he has one shot killed a HH in Warlock before, but my point is, he never dealt with drax as easily as he did. However, it could be just him getting serious and filled with anger

I will disagree that it doesn't make sense though... it can logically make sense.... If your power is normally at lets say 70/100 (power scale) but you get a boost to 90/100... weakening someone at 70 might put them at 55... weakening someone at 90 might put them at 75.. It could still make sense is my only point. Well, he has one shotted classic Drax before when he was at his weakest form, he's just never got mad enough to try to kill him.

So... they'd still be weaker than normal then, or ever so slightly more powerful?
Plus, I'm also saying it doesn't make sense as well because they wouldn't upgrade him, weaken him, and then 'kill' him off without even giving the slightest of hints of him ever being upgraded

dmills
I'm going to go with the theory that Thanos was pissed and not phucking around. We all know he is a beast and I don't see any reason to say upgrade, save for his durability. And even that is questionable because we've seen him pull off sick durability feats in the past.

Godslayer broke on his skin. Kind of hard to kill someone with a blade when it breaks.

The CC didn't even knock Thanos out... it just shook him up and released the mental block... And the telepaths puts him in a coma...
Again, no where near a kill. gamorra realizes he was immortal because the blade shatterd, meaning his anti-death mojo did it not just durabilty against sharp objects.

dmills
Planet-busting wouldn't be enough to place Magus beyond the herald tier. The timeline manipulation thing might be enough, though (depending on the extent of said manipulation.) Can you post scans or direct me to an issue number where I can find these timeline manipulation feats? I can't recall them off-hand.

It really wasn't a grazing blast. I mean, Surfer was within a matter of feet from Marv when he was blasted. At any rate, I never said the blast wasn't powerful -- it just wasn't powerful enough to deal out any real damage to Surfer.

No, I just meant that in general, classic Thanos could have likely matched any feats preformed by TI Thanos. But he busted several planets at once while casually slapping Quasar aside. I don't see any high herald pulling that off.

Sr J-Bieb
Planet-busting wouldn't be enough to place Magus beyond the herald tier. The timeline manipulation thing might be enough, though (depending on the extent of said manipulation.) Can you post scans or direct me to an issue number where I can find these timeline manipulation feats? I can't recall them off-hand.

He didn't just destroy one planet, he destroyed many planets at the same time with a gesture.
Guardians of the Galaxy 17 I believe. I'd read 16 and 18 though if you want the full story.

IIRC, it barely hit Surfer and mostly connected with his board.

No, I just meant that in general, classic Thanos could have likely matched any feats preformed by TI Thanos. but it was a half a dozen worlds teleported to the fault and then simultaneously destroyed.

he pulled an alternate universe over another to stabilize the fault and prevent multiversal collapse and because he was the magus in this universe he became the magus in the 616, which sent a ripple back through time making him the magus for months before it got to that point.

dmills
Look man the Surfer thing is silly. He yelled out in pain. So unless people are willing to believe that he yelled because he was scared of heights, I'd say it's a pretty safe bet to assume he was hurt.

Sr J-Bieb
Originally posted by 753
gamorra realizes he was immortal because the blade shatterd, meaning his anti-death mojo did it not just durabilty against sharp objects. Had the sword just sliced through his neck or heart and not killed him, it might have been worth noting. But to do its job it kind of has to stab into Thanos. Plus, it's not like the Blade ever worked before on Thanos or anything, so we don't have anything to compare it to. She called him indestructible/invincible, and didn't think he could die. He obviously wasn't indestructible or invincible though, just plain old Thanos IMO with immortality.

That might be true had Mar-Vell not jammed a sword into him... You'd think the sword would have broken too.

Had the sword just sliced through his neck or heart and not killed him, it might have been worth noting. But to do its job it kind of has to stab into Thanos. Plus, it's not like the Blade ever worked before on Thanos or anything, so we don't have anything to compare it to. She called him indestructible/invincible, and didn't think he could die. He obviously wasn't indestructible or invincible though, just plain old Thanos IMO.

That might be true had Mar-Vell not jammed a sword into him... the blade mar-vell used could cut through the anti-death thing and was clearly designed for the purpose of killing a death avatar, it was kind of a big deal in the story.

Look man the Surfer thing is silly. He yelled out in pain. So unless people are willing to believe that he yelled because he was scared of heights, I'd say it's a pretty safe bet to assume he was hurt. he was stunned afterwards too

dmills
Originally posted by 753
he was stunned afterwards too I know it, you know it, the artist depicted it clearly, and yet there still seems to be some ambiguity for some people. Perhaps the artist should've drawn birdies flying in circles around Norrins dome.

Nihilist
I know it, you know it, the artist depicted it clearly, and yet there still seems to be some ambiguity for some people. Perhaps the artist should've drawn birdies flying in circles around Norrins dome. laughing out loud

Sr J-Bieb
Originally posted by 753
the blade mar-vell used could cut through the anti-death thing and was clearly designed for the purpose of killing a death avatar, it was kind of a big deal in the story. I realize what it was.
Just figured I'd throw out another 'sharp' example since Gamora's couldn't even get through Thanos skin.

Either way, Gamora's Godslayer was never going to kill Thanos immortal or otherwise.

KuRuPT Thanosi
He didn't just destroy one planet, he destroyed many planets at the same time with a gesture.
Guardians of the Galaxy 17 I believe. I'd read 16 and 18 though if you want the full story.

IIRC, it barely hit Surfer and mostly connected with his board.

busting one planet is beyond what most HH have shown on panel... busting many planets.. with the ease he did it with... seems to be a good amount beyond HH. To me that is a mid to high trans feat. Granted it's one of his better ones, but I would still place a feat like that in that realm.

I personally thought it was Gotg 16 IIRC.. but it could very well be 17.

Nihilist
busting one planet is beyond what most HH have shown on panel... busting many planets.. with the ease he did it with... seems to be a good amount beyond HH. To me that is a mid to high trans feat. Granted it's one of his better ones, but I would still place a feat like that in that realm.

I personally thought it was Gotg 16 IIRC.. but it could very well be 17. Magus destroyed the planets in Thanos Imperative:Ignition one shot.

KuRuPT Thanosi
Originally posted by 753
but it was a half a dozen worlds teleported to the fault and then simultaneously destroyed.

he pulled an alternate universe over another to stabilize the fault and prevent multiversal collapse and because he was the magus in this universe he became the magus in the 616, which sent a ripple back through time making him the magus for months before it got to that point.

This is how I remembered it as well.

KuRuPT Thanosi
Originally posted by Nihilist
Magus destroyed the planets in Thanos Imperative:Ignition one shot.

Hey man, maybe it wasn't clear, but we were talking about the universal/timestream manipulation.

Galan007
Originally posted by 753
but it was a half a dozen worlds teleported to the fault and then simultaneously destroyed.

he pulled an alternate universe over another to stabilize the fault and prevent multiversal collapse and because he was the magus in this universe he became the magus in the 616, which sent a ripple back through time making him the magus for months before it got to that point. Yeah I saw the planet-busting thing. It's certainly impressive, but is it more impressive than casually whipping up a super-massive black hole, as some heralds have done? That's up to personal opinion.

As for Adamagus overlapping universes/timelines: He was only able to do that while being amped by the faith generators -- his personal power was not solely responsible. As Gamora said, "the spell will not work unless it is sufficiently energized."

Nihilist
Hey man, maybe it wasn't clear, but we were talking about the universal/timestream manipulation. k, just skimmed your post and say the bit about planet busting.

quanchi112
So a blast that caused Norrin to yell out AAAAAARRRRRGH!!!, Shatter his board, had him on the ground on his knee holding his head with his bell rang, and not returning to the fight wasn't harmful? I mean considering that the Surfer is supposed to be invulnerable, there had to be some damage done don't you think? Just sayin. Yeah, it was clear the Surfer included that team was nothing more than an afterthoguht to him and he wasn't even treating them as a serious threat imo. That's damn impressive considering how durable Surfer is along with who he was with at the time as well.

Then when we see a weakened Thanos just maul mar-vell who was well above this team it shows you just how powerful Thanos was written here. Throw in the unkillable bit and he's practically unbeatable.

Galan007
I know it, you know it, the artist depicted it clearly, and yet there still seems to be some ambiguity for some people. Perhaps the artist should've drawn birdies flying in circles around Norrins dome. These quippy little remarks you keep making lead me to believe that you are completely misunderstanding what I'm saying.

Did the blast affect Surfer? Clearly (he fell to the ground for a reason.) Did the blast cause Surfer pain? Certainly (hence his expression during that scene.) But the fact that he was already getting back up on the SAME page he was blasted in tells me the blast couldn't have caused much (if any) lasting harm/damage. That much couldn't have been any clearer, imo.

Black bolt z
Originally posted by Psycho Doctor
^ Looked like Thanos was mandhandling Mar-vell to me. He really justy hit him and slammed him into the ground.It wasn't even a fight TBH.

Black bolt z
In issue #6 didn't Marv wave his hand and contain Thanos before stabbing him with the sword he summoned? Can't remember the specifics off hand. Thanos told him to kill him so thanos did willingly get restrained.But it also wasn't a fight.

Marvel hits thanos.Thanos hits marvel then slams him into the ground.Both are fine then thanos asks marvel to kill him.

Black bolt z
That's after Thanos dropped him to the ground and didn't fight back at all. Thanos tricked him but while they were actually fighting Thanos had his way with him. Their fight lasted 2 pages before thanos surrendered....no one was Ko'd.Or as you call it a stalemate.

Black bolt z
Exactly. It's obvious people just don't want to give Thanos credit so let's undermine Mar-vell. Except it wasn't even a fight....Originally posted by CosmicComet
Why can't Thanos be low skyfather? Sounds like a legit ranking to me. Yeah I comfortably rank thanos as low skyfather.he'd have to get another amp to be mid herald.

Galan007
Dude, combine your posts.

Ninja-spam is annoying as hell. srsly

KuRuPT Thanosi
Originally posted by Black bolt z
Their fight lasted 2 pages before thanos surrendered....no one was Ko'd.Or as you call it a stalemate.

I think you are forgetting it wasn't just a slam.. as stated, he make his eyes almost pop out of his head as he was being squeezed like a grape.. while being called a flea

quanchi112
He really justy hit him and slammed him into the ground.It wasn't even a fight TBH. It wasn't even a fight ? What ?????????????

Their fight lasted 2 pages before thanos surrendered....no one was Ko'd.Or as you call it a stalemate. Thanos dominated him before he tricked him. I never said he beat him he only showed he was well above him. Originally posted by Black bolt z
Except it wasn't even a fight.... Yeah I comfortably rank thanos as low skyfather.he'd have to get another amp to be mid herald. So you don't know the definition of a fight ? I will add that to the list.

Black bolt z

Ninja-spam is annoying as hell. srsly Ok from now on i'll do that.It won't let me edit.Originally posted by KuRuPT Thanosi
I think you are forgetting it wasn't just a slam.. as stated, he make his eyes almost pop out of his head as he was being squeezed like a grape.. while being called a flea 1: It doesn't matter what he was called.
2: I still won't call it a fight.It was 2 pages.

Now in those 2 pages thanos did hold a clear advantage.But that fight wasn't near long enough to say that thanos somehow curbstomped him.

quanchi112
Ok from now on i'll do that.It won't let me edit. 1: It doesn't matter what he was called.
2: I still won't call it a fight.It was 2 pages.

Now in those 2 pages thanos did hold a clear advantage.But that fight wasn't near long enough to say that thanos somehow curbstomped him. Yes, it was because it was complete and utter domination.

OneDumbG0

Ninja-spam is annoying as hell. srsly I take full credit for coining that term.

I'm like Al Gore who invented the intarnetz. excellent

Black bolt z
Yes, it was because it was complete and utter domination. He hit him twice.How do you call that domination?He hit him in the stomach.The he grabbed him by the neck as he is like twice as big as marvel.

Its not by any means domination.

Galan007
Originally posted by OneDumbG0
I take full credit for coining that term.

I'm like Al Gore who invented the intarnetz. excellent And I gladly give you credit for inventing such a wonderful term. pray

quanchi112
He hit him twice.How do you call that domination?He hit him in the stomach.The he grabbed him by the neck as he is like twice as big as marvel.

Its not by any means domination. Tossing him around like a ragdoll and choking a helpless mar-vell is dominating him.

psycho gundam
Except it wasn't even a fight.... Yeah I comfortably rank thanos as low skyfather.he'd have to get another amp to be mid herald. http://i53.tinypic.com/2ikyvjk.gif

D_Dude1210
He hit him twice.How do you call that domination?He hit him in the stomach.The he grabbed him by the neck as he is like twice as big as marvel.

Its not by any means domination.

Ummm. Dude. Yes it was.

KuRuPT Thanosi
Can someone please point me to any feats of a HH where they destroy a planetS with a gesture.. Please show me ANY HH doing this. I think we can comfortably say Magus was Trans level and above any HH.

OneDumbG0
I'm surprised people trying to cast doubt into Lord Mar-vell's feats haven't pulled the whole "shields weren't depicted" card on Lord Mar-Vell blowing away Adam Magus.

At least here, it actually makes sense to me since Adam Magus wasn't expecting a fight at all and was wholly prostrate before him.

KuRuPT Thanosi
Question ODG... Would you place Magus in Trans or HH?

Personally his feats to me.. seem low trans level...considering I've never seen any HH destroy planets with a gesture.. nor the universal/timestream manipulation on a universal level.

OneDumbG0
^ Can I has teh scans plz?

I'm surprised people trying to cast doubt into Lord Mar-vell's feats haven't pulled the whole "shields weren't depicted" card on Lord Mar-Vell blowing away Adam Magus.

At least here, it actually makes sense to me since Adam Magus wasn't expecting a fight at all and was wholly prostrate before him. it's still impressive and there's no way arrounbd the fact that magus was trans level

dmills
These quippy little remarks you keep making lead me to believe that you are completely misunderstanding what I'm saying.

Did the blast affect Surfer? Clearly (he fell to the ground for a reason.) Did the blast cause Surfer pain? Certainly (hence his expression during that scene.) But the fact that he was already getting back up on the SAME page he was blasted in tells me the blast couldn't have caused much (if any) lasting harm/damage. That much couldn't have been any clearer, imo. Fair enough. It just seemed to me that you were obfuscating a little bit, but I'll take you at face value.

KuRuPT Thanosi
Originally posted by 753
it's still impressive and there's no way arrounbd the fact that magus was trans level

can you post the scans for ODG?

Galan007
^ Can I has teh scans plz? Here's Magus destroying planets:
http://img217.imageshack.us/img217/3650/thanos017.jpg
http://img140.imageshack.us/img140/2147/thanos018.jpg
http://img834.imageshack.us/img834/3779/thanos019.jpg

What's odd about that instance is the fact that a few characters said the planets "detonated" -- makes it sound like they may have been pre-rigged to explode, imo (unless Magus is so powerful that all he needs to do is look at planets and they just cease to be.) /shrug

---

Here's Adamagus overlapping timestreams:
http://img835.imageshack.us/img835/7471/gotg1705.jpg
http://img259.imageshack.us/img259/3886/gotg1716.jpg
http://img148.imageshack.us/img148/8752/gotg1717.jpg
http://img683.imageshack.us/img683/8154/gotg1719.jpg

But like I already mentioned, Adamagus was amped by the faith generators at the time -- ie. his power was NOT solely responsible for that feat. Hence why he stated that he would first need to find a significant energy source for his plan to work (first scan), and why Gamora stated that the spell would not work without being sufficiently energized (2nd scan).

KuRuPT Thanosi
My friend, I saw no indication that there were any bombs placed on said planets. That is a little bit of reaching don't ya think? Every appearance Magus has had... has him doing some impressive stuff.. Even when classic Thanos battled him.. he was besting Thanos.

Whether he was amplified or not.. we have no idea how much more this "amp" gave him.. and regardless it's still impressive none the less as this was on a universal level.

Galan007
^ Not talking about bombs my friend. Have a look at Magus' statement in the first panel of the first scan: "trillions of true believers, all converted in preparation for this one act... All chanting the same incantation." He then looks at the worlds and they explode. Just saying there are factors which suggest that Magus may have pre-rigged those worlds to "detonate" when they entered the 616 reality... Unless you think he is so powerful that multiple worlds can be destroyed just by him looking at them. /shrug
ermm

Adam would have been unable to preform that feat without the faith generators amping him. The boost he received was obviously quite significant.

quasar and the pthers couldnt have known whether or not the worlds were pre-rigged , all they could tell was that they exploded. detonation is another word for explosion. He was obviously casting a massive sacrifice spell that required prep, but that doesn't mean the world's destruction required anything other than his power

OneDumbG0
Here's Magus destroying planets:
http://img140.imageshack.us/img140/2147/thanos018.jpg
http://img834.imageshack.us/img834/3779/thanos019.jpg

What's odd about that instance is the fact that a few characters said the planets "detonated" -- makes it sound like they may have been pre-rigged to explode, imo (unless Magus is so powerful that all he needs to do is look at planets and they just cease to be.) /shrug Frankly, I find it odd that nobody seems to care that the populations of those worlds were chanting the incantation. Trillions of them.

Galan007
Frankly, I find it odd that nobody seems to care that the populations of those worlds were chanting the incantation. Trillions of them. Originally posted by Galan007
^ Not talking about bombs my friend. Have a look at Magus' statement in the first panel of the first scan: "trillions of true believers, all converted in preparation for this one act... All chanting the same incantation." He then looks at the worlds and they explode. Just saying there are factors which suggest that Magus may have pre-rigged those worlds to "detonate" when they entered the 616 reality... Unless you think he is so powerful that multiple worlds can be destroyed just by him looking at them. /shrug
ermm

Adam would have been unable to preform that feat without the faith generators amping him. The boost he received was obviously quite significant. thumb up

KuRuPT Thanosi
So... because people were chanting his name... this means he doesn't have the power to destroy planets?

Black bolt z
It wasn't even a fight ? What ?????????????

Thanos dominated him before he tricked him. I never said he beat him he only showed he was well above him. So you don't know the definition of a fight ? I will add that to the list. It lasted 3 panels.

It wasn't even a fight by comic standards which lasts a couple pages usually.

Now I'll agree thanos held an advantage.But there is in no way enough proof to say that thanos curbstomped him.

OneDumbG0
So... because people were chanting his name... this means he doesn't have the power to destroy planets? We're not trying to prove a negative and we don't have to. At least, I'm not going down that path again, anyway.

We already know that the Universal Church of Truth and Adam Warlock utilized believers' faith as energy amps to perform astonishing feats. I just find it dubious that you can so readily conclude that trillions of believers who prepared themselves for one final act and who were chanting an incantation, had absolutely nothing to do with what happened.

And that's putting it nicely.

Black bolt z
Tossing him around like a ragdoll and choking a helpless mar-vell is dominating him. No its not.He hit him.Twice.And marvel didn't even appear damaged.

You can go back to your fallacy world where a fight lasted 3 panels and somehow thanos stomps marvel and Odin tosses thanos around for 5 pages and call it a stalemate.

I perfer logic.But hey....whatever works for you.

Galan007
So... because people were chanting his name... this means he doesn't have the power to destroy planets? His name =/= an incantation. And you don't think it's possible that the incantations of trillions of beings gave Magus the necessary power to destroy those worlds, in much the same way that the faith generators gave Adam the power to overlap timestreams?

"The faith generators of the templeships, powered by millions of believers, will supply the necessary energy reservoir":
http://img259.imageshack.us/img259/3886/gotg1716.jpg

"Trillions of true believers, all converted in preparation for this one act... All chanting the same incantation":

Sound pretty similar, imo.

dmills
We're not trying to prove a negative and we don't have to. At least, I'm not going down that path again, anyway.

We already know that the Universal Church of Truth and Adam Warlock utilized believers' faith as energy amps to perform astonishing feats. I just find it dubious that you can so readily conclude that trillions of believers who prepared themselves for one final act and who were chanting an incantation, had absolutely nothing to do with what happened.

And that's putting it nicely. thumb up But I'll add that it's a part of his power set so it really doesn't matter to me one way or the other. In that sense it's really no different then say, Supes taking a sun bath. It's how he amps.

Galan007
^ Without external forces amping him, Magus isn't trans-level. I think that's the main point.

dmills
I don't know if that's necessarily true, but even if it is he is still HH at the least wouldn't you say?

OneDumbG0
^ Without external forces amping him, Magus isn't trans-level. I think that's the main point. Right. And then you take the next step and note that Adam Magus wasn't amping his personal power with the faith of trillions of believers at the time he was killed by Lord Mar-Vell.

So assuming a "multiple-planet-busting-with-ease" power level onto Adam Magus is questionable at best. To then take that and justify reverse-projecting a greater power level onto Lord Mar-Vell isn't exactly responsible. And it looks to me more than a few people are suggesting/sanctioning that. Originally posted by dmills
I don't know if that's necessarily true, but even if it is he is still HH at the least wouldn't you say? Of course he is. Adam Warlock himself was high herald level. Adam Magus didn't exactly power down when he turned evil.

KuRuPT Thanosi
Right, in fact he powered up... yet you still think he's a HH?

Lets not forget this wasn't the first appearance of Magus.. he has prior feats which were impressive.

Galan007
Right. And then you take the next step and note that Adam Magus wasn't amping his personal power with the faith of trillions of believers at the time he was killed by Lord Mar-Vell. thumb up... Plus the fact that he was completely unprepared for the attack.

OneDumbG0
Right, in fact he powered up... yet you still think he's a HH? Why wouldn't I? Adam Warlock already had the feats, why wouldn't Adam Magus? Originally posted by KuRuPT Thanosi
Lets not forget this wasn't the first appearance of Magus.. he has prior feats which were impressive. ... wait, what? Then why are you questioning my personal estimation that Adam Magus was HH?

KuRuPT Thanosi
No I'm saying Adam Magus/Afro Magus were all more powerful than Adam Warlock... so if you rate A.W. as a HH.. you would then rate Magus.. the same?

OneDumbG0
^ I don't know what feats you're using to suggest that Afro Magus' feats and Adam Magus' feats were that much more above Adam Warlock's HH-level feats to justify that Adam Magus has transcended the HH tier altogether.

Galan007
^ But Adamagus HAS transcended the HH tier, ODG.... He just had the help of millions/trillions of believers to do so.

hmph

KuRuPT Thanosi
So you feel like A.W. had equivelant feats to Magus(s)? huh? As you just argued... having worlds of followers amped magus power by decent amount. I wasn't sure there was any debate on this issue. Now you're saying they were the same power level?

KuRuPT Thanosi
^ But Adamagus HAS transcended the HH tier, ODG.... He just had the help of millions/trillions of believers to do so.

hmph

Which is exactly my point.. you can't have it both ways.. if the fetas you're trying to question have to do with him having an amp because of followers.. then how can someone claim A.W. is just as powerful as Afro/Magus?

Galan007
^ At their base levels (ie. no believers empowering them) Adam/Magus are in the HH tier. It's only when they receive a boost from said believers that they transcend that tier.

...And when Marv killed Magus, he wasn't being powered up by his believers.

OneDumbG0
So you feel like A.W. had equivelant feats to Magus(s)? huh? As you just argued... having worlds of followers amped magus power by decent amount. I wasn't sure there was any debate on this issue. Now you're saying they were the same power level? ... because Adam Magus has other feats completely separate and apart from probable amp-related feats? Which independantly suggest that he is at least as powerful as Adam Warlock was or somewhat stronger, but not enough to justify him transcending that general level of power entirely, and placing him in another tier altogether?

You're not being clear on what your disagreement is here.

the point that matters here is that when mar-vell incinerated AM, he had just concluded the ritual and had his church there with him.

OneDumbG0
^ ...

I don't even understand what you guys are arguing with anymore. The statement makes no sense, whatever conclusion you're trying to draw makes no sense.

Galan007
^ If by "concluded the ritual" you mean Magus had just sacrificed the trillions of beings who had previously been empowering him, then yeah, I agree.

The dude wasn't trans-level without MASSIVE help. Seems pretty obvious, imo.

he sacrificed those worlds, that energy was spent opening the fault and summoning the cancerverse forward, but the churche was still there. so there were still faith reserves he could draw from.

Galan007
^ Ah. And you have proof he was doing so when Marv blasted him? Seems unlikely.

KuRuPT Thanosi
^ At their base levels (ie. no believers empowering them) Adam/Magus are in the HH tier. It's only when they receive a boost from said believers that they transcend that tier.

...And when Marv killed Magus, he wasn't being powered up by his believers.

you're only talking about this one particular arc right.. because in his previous appearances he was also empowered by other worlds.. he had legions of followers. Even in this arc... you are arguing he had followers and thus was able to do what he did.. then say... he had no followers when Marv. attacked him? huh? You think that was the totality of his followers.. the ones that were killed? Why would you think that?

KuRuPT Thanosi
... because Adam Magus has other feats completely separate and apart from probable amp-related feats? Which independantly suggest that he is at least as powerful as Adam Warlock was or somewhat stronger, but not enough to justify him transcending that general level of power entirely, and placing him in another tier altogether?

You're not being clear on what your disagreement is here.

So you agree that Adam Magus or Afro Magus are more powerful than A.W. correct? you just don't agree it is a full tier more powerful? I thought you were claiming they were the same power level as A.W. which obviously wasn't the case from all his previous showings and this one where he's always had people empowering him.. that is kinda his thing... you can't look at Adam/Afro Magus at a base level ever.. the whole point of him in every appearance was that he had followers.. Period.. That IS and has BECOME his base level

Galan007
You think that was the totality of his followers.. the ones that were killed? Why would you think that? I think in that particular comic, those were the only followers actively empowering him, yes... When they were gone, Magus' boost was gone.

There's no reason to assume otherwise, imo.

^ Ah. And you have proof he was doing so when Marv blasted him? Seems unlikely. the resource was there, doesn't the presence of his believers amp him by itself? Does he need to consciously tap into it?

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>