Annihilus vs Lord Marvell

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Nihilist
This is Annihilus from Annihilation.

Who wins?

quanchi112
Mar-vell wins, easily.

dmills
Good one. This is hard man. Annihilus slapped around Nova and Quasar the same way that Mar-Vell slapped around Nova and Norrin. I'm gonna go with Annihilus because of his massive energy absorption abilities.

quanchi112
Originally posted by dmills
Good one. This is hard man. Annihilus slapped around Nova and Quasar the same way that Mar-Vell slapped around Nova and Norrin. I'm gonna go with Annihilus because of his massive energy absorption abilities. Annihilus was also killed by Nova whereas Mar-vell was always well above anything Nova could ever bring to the table.

Galan007
While I think Marv is a bit overrated, I'd still give him the odds here.

Gecko4lif
Annihilus should be slightly stronger on the energy front but in a psychical confrontation he is leagues under Vell

dmills
Originally posted by quanchi112
Annihilus was also killed by Nova whereas Mar-vell was always well above anything Nova could ever bring to the table. Yeah but you gotta remember that Dick had access to the entire Nova Force when he fought Annihilus. He didn't have that against Mar-Vell. That's a huge power difference. Remember he was oneshotting Annihilus's moon sized dread ships and even one shotted the larger flagships. Even with that he still needed assistance with a weakened Annihilus.

Can't believe I'm lowballing my boy here.

quanchi112
Yeah but you gotta remember that Dick had access to the entire Nova Force when he fought Annihilus. He didn't have that against Mar-Vell. That's a huge power difference. Remember he was oneshotting Annihilus's moon sized dread ships and even one shotted the larger flagships. Even with that he still needed assistance with a weakened Annihilus.

Can't believe I'm lowballing my boy here. I don't think with the entire force he's anywhere near mar-vell though. I still look to him oneshotting magus and thinking he'd annihilate annihilus.

dmills
Originally posted by Gecko4lif
Annihilus should be slightly stronger on the energy front but in a psychical confrontation he is leagues under Vell I don't know about that. Even back in the day Annihilus was able to slap Thor around a bit.

dmills
I don't think with the entire force he's anywhere near mar-vell though. I still look to him oneshotting magus and thinking he'd annihilate annihilus. Depends on what interpretation of the Nova Force we accept. On most accounts the ENTIRE nova force is one of the primal energy forces of the universe and anyone wielding all of it was an absolute beast (ala Garthan Saal and even Nova back in the day) I'd say trans at least. But DnA wrote it fairly conservatively. Something they seemed to do with most ultra powerful characters save Thanos.

At any rate I still like the bug in this fight because of his energy siphoning abilities. Hell even The Mad titan seemed to respect Annihilus more then he did Mar-Vell.

Black bolt z
Originally posted by Galan007
While I think Marv is a bit overrated, I'd still give him the odds here. I agree with this 100%

KuRuPT Thanosi
Depends on what interpretation of the Nova Force we accept. On most accounts the ENTIRE nova force is one of the primal energy forces of the universe and anyone wielding all of it was an absolute beast (ala Garthan Saal and even Nova back in the day) I'd say trans at least. But DnA wrote it fairly conservatively. Something they seemed to do with most ultra powerful characters save Thanos.

At any rate I still like the bug in this fight because of his energy siphoning abilities. Hell even The Mad titan seemed to respect Annihilus more then he did Mar-Vell.

I will agree that Thanos did seem to respect him more, not sure if that means much, but I agree on that point.

guy222
the lord wins

quanchi112
Depends on what interpretation of the Nova Force we accept. On most accounts the ENTIRE nova force is one of the primal energy forces of the universe and anyone wielding all of it was an absolute beast (ala Garthan Saal and even Nova back in the day) I'd say trans at least. But DnA wrote it fairly conservatively. Something they seemed to do with most ultra powerful characters save Thanos.

At any rate I still like the bug in this fight because of his energy siphoning abilities. Hell even The Mad titan seemed to respect Annihilus more then he did Mar-Vell. Thanos was at odd against Mar-vell because of Mistress death. Annihilus was in good terms with Annihilus but don't think for a moment Thanos wouldn't rip Annihilus' head off the moment he threatened Death or himself.

He turned on him immediately and he was in a completely different mindset in annihilation he was much calmer. In imperative he was pissed off and oh how they all paid.

dmills
Thanos was at odd against Mar-vell because of Mistress death. Annihilus was in good terms with Annihilus but don't think for a moment Thanos wouldn't rip Annihilus' head off the moment he threatened Death or himself.

He turned on him immediately and he was in a completely different mindset in annihilation he was much calmer. In imperative he was pissed off and oh how they all paid. Thing is, Annihilus held all the cards at the time. Hell he played Thanos worse then Thanos played Mar-Vell. And Annihilus has NEVER been chumped the way that Mar-Vell got chumped by the purple Skrull. Not as long as he has the CCR. Agree about Thanos's mindset though.

quanchi112
Thing is, Annihilus held all the cards at the time. Hell he played Thanos worse then Thanos played Mar-Vell. And Annihilus has NEVER been chumped the way that Mar-Vell got chumped by the purple Skrull. Not as long as he has the CCR. Agree about Thanos's mindset though. Thanos was simply bored and he himself admitted he could undo the damage done by Annihilus. Let's face it without Thanos he'd never have Galactus in the first place.

Thanos would maul Annihilus one on one. I don't see Mar-vell ever losing to Nova I don't even think he can beat him, ever.

dmills

Thanos would maul Annihilus one on one. I don't see Mar-vell ever losing to Nova I don't even think he can beat him, ever. No doubt. But he'd do better then Mar-Vell IMO.

Agreed. Although if he goes all Garthan Saal like he did at the beginning of Annihilation he could make it interesting. IMO naturally.

quanchi112
No doubt. But he'd do better then Mar-Vell IMO.

Agreed. Although if he goes all Garthan Saal like he did at the beginning of Annihilation he could make it interesting. IMO naturally. I don't think he'd do batter than Mar-vell. Thanos would rip his head clean off.

the ninjak
Cthulu Marvel hosted a powerful Ancient One inside him. Older than time.

He defeats Annihilus soundly.

Nihilist
Annihilus with the Qauntum bands was no weak feeb, he tanked Galactus's 3 solar system destroying blast that killed a Watcher.

quanchi112
Originally posted by Nihilist
Annihilus with the Qauntum bands was no weak feeb, he tanked Galactus's 3 solar system destroying blast that killed a Watcher. Nova also tanked it iirc. That's not saying much.

Nihilist
Nova also tanked it iirc. That's not saying much. No he never, they ported out, it just gave the impression that they died off panel.

The Nuul
Annihilus, I think. confused

KuRuPT Thanosi
good fight actually... the QB were no joke, and neither was Anni

quanchi112
No he never, they ported out, it just gave the impression that they died off panel. Are you sure about that ? I'm pretty sure he tanked it.

Nihilist
Are you sure about that ? I'm pretty sure he tanked it. Dead sure.

A weaker non Q band vesrion of Annihilus slapped Nova around previously in the beginning of the arc, so it makes sense that Q band Annihilus tanked the blast but was weakend, and Nova was fine and not weakend as he didnt tank the blast.

quanchi112
Dead sure.

A weaker non Q band vesrion of Annihilus slapped Nova around previously in the beginning of the arc, so it makes sense that Q band Annihilus tanked the blast but was weakend, and Nova was fine and not weakend as he didnt tank the blast. If I wasn't so lazy I'd put in my annihilation disk right now.

I still don't see Lord Mar-vell losing to Annihilus.

dmills
Dead sure.

A weaker non Q band vesrion of Annihilus slapped Nova around previously in the beginning of the arc, so it makes sense that Q band Annihilus tanked the blast but was weakend, and Nova was fine and not weakend as he didnt tank the blast. They ported away from the eye of the blast but he still took the same portion of blast that Annihilus did. That's why Annihilus said he was impressed remember?

Nihilist
They ported away from the eye of the blast but he still took the same portion of blast that Annihilus did. That's why Annihilus said he was impressed remember? Annihilus was at the eye of the blast, he was on the same ship as Galactus when he was released iirc, he flew to a nearby metor as Galactus had broken free.

It does make sense that Nova too the same amount of the blast as Annihilus, when Annihilus was well above Nova without the bands, but ended up in a weaker condition with the bands then what Nova was if they had supposedly taken the same amount of force blast.

dmills
It does make sense that Nova too the same amount of the blast as Annihilus, when Annihilus was well above Nova without the bands, but ended up in a weaker condition with the bands then what Nova was if they had supposedly taken the same amount of force blast. I'm assuming you meant it "doesn't" make sense. I'll go back and check it out again. IIRC Nova and his crew were about a light year or so away from the eye of the blast. In any case I believe the panel was fairly clear that Nova did in fact get caught in the blast.

God I hope I ain't remembering this with FIS. That would be embarrassing and you'd never let me live it down.

Nihilist
I'm assuming you meant it "doesn't" make sense. I'll go back and check it out again. IIRC Nova and his crew were about a light year or so away from the eye of the blast. In any case I believe the panel was fairly clear that Nova did in fact get caught in the blast.

God I hope I ain't remembering this with FIS. That would be embarrassing and you'd never let me live it down. laughing out loud yeah i meant doesnt.

You may be right that they was a light year away, but iirc Annihilus was right next to the blast a took the full force of it. I alway got the impression the ported out just in time but the reader was lead to believe they had died.

Didnt Phyla say something about that they would not survive the blast.

dmills
I looked at it. Dammit you are right, somewhat. Annihilus took the full force of the blast, but Rider and co didn't. I thought that they got caught in the blast from a distance and Nova protected them at the last second, but even that isn't clear.

Either way you've taken away a major durability feat that I used to argue in favor of Dick Rider, i.e. tanking the "Herald my rage blast". Now I'm phucked, so phuck you very much. May you have chronic anal itching for the rest of your days.

I'm going to go walk off of a bridge now.

Nihilist
I looked at it. Dammit you are right, somewhat. Annihilus took the full force of the blast, but Rider and co didn't. I thought that they got caught in the blast from a distance and Nova protected them at the last second, but even that isn't clear.

Either way you've taken away a major durability feat that I used to argue in favor of Dick Rider, i.e. tanking the "Herald my rage blast". Now I'm phucked, so phuck you very much. May you have chronic anal itching for the rest of your days.

I'm going to go walk off of a bridge now. lulz Dick Rider has plenty of other good durability feats.

dmills
lulz Dick Rider has plenty of other good durability feats. Yeah yeah laugh it up. When you go to bed with an itchy booty and wake up with a smelly finger, you'll know why.

Nihilist
Yeah yeah laugh it up. When you go to bed with an itchy booty and wake up with a smelly finger, you'll know why. I was being serious man, Nova is one of my fave heroes, id just like someone other than DnA to write him.

dmills
I was being serious man, Nova is one of my fave heroes, id just like someone other than DnA to write him. I was just talking with someone about this the other day. DnA seemed to really play it safe and conservative with the character. Now I'll be the first to admit that some of his older stuff is a bit retro/cheesy, but he had some great superhero moments during his second run. DnA seemed to focus more on the sci-fi aspect of the character. That's not to say he didn't have some cool "just wow" moments in his latest run, but not like the old days IMO. They also ignored a lot of the quasi-mystical aspects of the Nova Force as well as Nova's other more exotic powers.

Nihilist
I was just talking with someone about this the other day. DnA seemed to really play it safe and conservative with the character. Now I'll be the first to admit that some of his older stuff is a bit retro/cheesy, but he had some great superhero moments during his second run. DnA seemed to focus more on the sci-fi aspect of the character. That's not to say he didn't have some cool "just wow" moments in his latest run, but not like the old days IMO. They also ignored a lot of the quasi-mystical aspects of the Nova Force as well as Nova's other more exotic powers. Giffen did a great job with Nova during Annihilation. DnA started really well, but had him in limbo for too long. Though during TI they did a good job, especially the part were he put the others to shame with his courage going to help Starlord.

dmills
I was just going to say that about Giffen. He gave the character a whole new level of depth. Like you said, DnA started strong but really coasted with the character for about a while. The "Riddle of the Sphinx" arc was one of the weakest I've ever read.

Who do you think could do a good job with the character? I actually thought that Pak could pull it off, but his Nova depiction sucked in Hulks 614. He got the potential power level about right, but his depiction of the personality was waaay off.

Bouboumaster
I say Lord Mar-Vell win

Black bolt z
Originally posted by Bouboumaster
I say Lord Mar-Vell win

celeyhyga17
Really good fight..
Gonna go with Lord
M for the slight majority..
6/10

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.