"Pro" Wrestling's Greatest Wrestlers of all Time

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

BobbyD
Hi, guys.

Put your top 5 in here. Rank them if possible. If you can't rank them, then put your top 5 in any order. Note: this is NOT a personal Top 5 favorite list.

For me, here goes....

1) Hulk Hogan--the guy that put the sport on the national scene, its most important and first charismatic wrestler, if not for him there may not be a next 4, can anyone really forget: WHATCHA GONNA DO......?

2) The Rock--simply, the greatest entertainer the sport has known, NO ONE could play the crowd better, there's not even really a close 2nd to the Brahma Bull, the Great One, The Most Electrifying Athlete in Sports...blah, blah, blah. You get the picture. The reason why the WWE stinks today is because there is truly a Rock "hangover". IF YOU SMELLLLALALALALALALLOW.....

3)

BobbyD
Originally posted by BobbyD
Hi, guys.

Put your top 5 in here. Rank them if possible. If you can't rank them, then put your top 5 in any order. Note: this is NOT a personal Top 5 favorite list.

For me, here goes....

1) Hulk Hogan--the guy that put the sport on the national scene, its most important and first charismatic wrestler, if not for him there may not be a next 4, can anyone really forget: WHATCHA GONNA DO......?

2) The Rock--simply, the greatest entertainer the sport has known, NO ONE could play the crowd better, there's not even really a close 2nd to the Brahma Bull, the Great One, The Most Electrifying Athlete in Sports...blah, blah, blah. You get the picture. The reason why the WWE stinks today is because there is truly a Rock "hangover". IF YOU SMELLLLALALALALALALLOW.....

Ooops, sorry, itchy trigger finger...

3) Rick Flair--While Hogan was carrying the then WWF, Rick Flair was holding his own equally as well "in the other league". I couldn't tell if the strut wanted to make me laugh or throw a brick at my TV, or both! ...was hard to put him at #2 over the Rock, but there is no denying his influence and longevity on the sport. TO BE THE MAN, YOU GOTTA.... WoooOOOOOOOOOO!

4) Goldberg--It's starting to get tough now to fill in the remaining slots, but it's hard to argue against what I consider the most destructive force the sport has known. ..can't seem to recall a wrestler who could manipulate gravity and toss 300+ pounders around like a sack of potatoes. The intro is not too shabby either. In then end, it can't feel good to be hit with the best spear EVER, only to be hoisted up later and remain there forever looking down at the mat while blood rushes to your head and the be driven into the mat. Could anyone else ever in the sport really hold the Big Show up that long? ..and then there's steak, of course.

5) ...need some time to think of this one. This is the hardest one yet for me. Stone Cold? Andre the Giant? Randy Macho Man Savage? The Undertaker? The Road Warriors, Animal & Hawk?

Kal-El Summers
This is still for all intents and purposes a personal favorites list. What's the criteria supposed to be? Best draws? Technical ability? Mic skills? Good matches?

Also, your write-up for Hogan is hilariously wrong in quite a few areas. How much do you actually know about the history of the business?

chomperx9
million $$$$ man

Bret and owen heart

Lex luger

ultimate warrior

razor ramon

BobbyD
Originally posted by Kal-El Summers
This is still for all intents and purposes a personal favorites list. What's the criteria supposed to be? Best draws? Technical ability? Mic skills? Good matches?

Also, your write-up for Hogan is hilariously wrong in quite a few areas. How much do you actually know about the history of the business?

I don't profess to know much about the business. But looking back, I omitted Bruno Sammartino, which is an obvious glare. But, personal preferences aside, I was looking at those who enhanced/brought the sport further financially/globally. I could be wrong, but that's just my opinion. You are most certainly entitled to yours as well. smile

AsbestosFlaygon
1. The Undertaker
2. Terry Funk
3. Mick Foley
4. Shawn Michaels
5. Bret Hart

That'd be my personal picks, of course.
Never found Hogan to be charismatic at all, but I can't deny that many people did.
He's overrated like Cena, imo.

batdude123
Originally posted by AsbestosFlaygon
Never found Hogan to be charismatic at all

lolwut?

Don't really see how this much is arguable.

Darth Martin
The Rock is the GOAT.

BobbyD
Originally posted by AsbestosFlaygon
1. The Undertaker
2. Terry Funk
3. Mick Foley
4. Shawn Michaels
5. Bret Hart

That'd be my personal picks, of course.
Never found Hogan to be charismatic at all, but I can't deny that many people did.
He's overrated like Cena, imo.

Like them. Like them all. I guess what I was trying to do in this thread, is basically state who has done the most for their sport. That's more or less what I was trying to achieve. Who's the Gretzky's and Michael Jordan's of this sport. Yes, there were faster skaters than Gretzky, harder shooters; stronger Bballer's than MJ, taller guys than MJ, but who are the greatest? Now, if someone goes the route of best technical wrestlers, this totally changes the list in a heartbeat. But, my point about this thread is who has put the sport on the map, or brought more viewers than anyone else to the television.

§P0oONY
This is a sports forum.

BobbyD

maxman1180
Originally posted by Darth Martin
The Rock is the GOAT.

lol ^_^

NeoGills
UnderTaker
Shawn Michael
Bret Hart
Stone Cold Steve Austin
and my favorite The Rock

AsbestosFlaygon
Originally posted by BobbyD
Like them. Like them all. I guess what I was trying to do in this thread, is basically state who has done the most for their sport. That's more or less what I was trying to achieve. Who's the Gretzky's and Michael Jordan's of this sport. Yes, there were faster skaters than Gretzky, harder shooters; stronger Bballer's than MJ, taller guys than MJ, but who are the greatest? Now, if someone goes the route of best technical wrestlers, this totally changes the list in a heartbeat. But, my point about this thread is who has put the sport on the map, or brought more viewers than anyone else to the television.
Well, if we were going that route, then Stone Cold Austin was just about the same level of popularity as Hulk Hogan when they were in their prime.

Stone Cold brought about the Attitude era, a total make-over from the fancy-pants era of the bygone years.
He gave the chance for 'heels' to be superstars.
He made children of the modern era like wrestling, when it was almost on the verge of death.

He should be #3, if not #2 or #1, in your personal list.

peejayd
in random order:

* Rock
* Stone Cold
* Undertaker
* Hulk Hogan
* Bret Hart / Shawn Michaels

and if i could add a stable in the list: DX
and the DX roster i loved was:

* HHH
* Road Dogg
* Billy Gunn
* X-Pac

JayDaDon
I say the rock, for this reason alone

76TX_4qo2Pw

JakeTheBank
Hulk Hogan
The Rock
Stone Cold Steve Austin
Ric Flair
Shawn Michaels / Undertaker

Not my personal five favorites, but I think those five impacted the business in a way that not many people could have done.

majid86
The Macho Man Randy Savage!

OOOH YEAHHH!

juggerman
Triple H
The Rock
Steve Austin
Undertaker
Hogan

NOBODY filled areas like these guys!

Bat Dude
For me, it'd probably be:

http://www.wwephotos.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/Shawn-Michaels-Wearing-Belt-in-The-Ring.jpg
1. Shawn Michaels
He was just the complete package. He could be a brawler, he could be a technician, he could be a high-flier, he could sell, he could work a crowd, he could cut a fantastic promo, etc. He could do it all. He could wrestle a broomstick and it'd be a Match of the Year candidate. The greatest ever, imo.

http://img36.imageshack.us/img36/32/mutaz.jpg
2. Great Muta
The Japanese Undertaker. He, like HBK, could do it all in the ring (brawl, technical, high-flying, etc.), and had enough American appeal to win the World Heavyweight Championship in WCW. He is also one of the most decorated champions in Japanese pro wrestling history. And his gimmick was AMAZING. The most underrated wrestler ever, imo.

http://www.diehardprowrestling.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/flair4.jpg
3. Ric Flair
He was Shawn Michaels before Shawn Michaels. He couldn't do the acrobatic manuevers that Shawn would be able to, but he was an even better crowd worker and an even better promo cutter. The guy just dripped charisma and was a real good mat wrestler. One of the greatest of all time.

http://cdn.springboard.gorillanation.com/storage/wrestlezone.com/upl_images/machoman.jpg
4. Randy Savage
Another all around fantastic performer. A great in-ring talent who had the charisma to work a crowd like no other. OOOHHH YEEEEAAAHHH!!!

http://www.wrestling-books.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/bret-hitman-hart.jpg
5. Bret Hart
Not the most interesting guy to ever lace up a pair of boots, but he is the definition of a technical wrestler. One of the best pure in-ring talents to ever get into the ring.

Honorable Mentions:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v358/JPdean/HulkHogan051.png
Hulk Hogan
The original superman of professional wrestling. He had the charisma, and was an underrated in-ring performer. He was never gonna be a great technical wrestler, but as a brawler, he could put on very memorable matches. WHATCHA GONNA DO, BROTHER?!?!

http://img90.imageshack.us/img90/7239/p141ih4.jpg
Sting
Yet another all around performer (see a pattern?) who had plenty of in-ring talent AND charisma. His Surfer gimmick was fun and nostalgic, but his Crow gimmick from 1996-1997 remains one of the best gimmicks ever in American professional wrestling.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-FLT-cnuAe8k/TbhCjdHNJpI/AAAAAAAAANo/GGIDk39MyAA/s1600/wwf+undertaker.gif
Undertaker
One of the best gimmicks ever. Whether a heel or face, he could work a crowd. And his older matches with Bret Hart, Steve Austin, Mick Foley and Shawn Michaels back in the 90s were fantastic. Though he WAS slightly more charisma than ring work, his in-ring talent could not be denied.

TheHulk
In General-
1)Hulk Hogan
2)Stone Cold Steve Austin
3)The Rock
4)The Undertaker
5)John Cena

My personal opinion

1)The Rock
2)Stone Cold Steve Austin
3)The Undertaker
4)John Cena
5)Hulk Hogan

-Pr-
Greatest as in what, exactly?

If we're going by success and what they've done for the business, then mine would be:

1. Bruno Sammartino
2. Hulk Hogan
3. Ultimate Warrior
4. The Undertaker
5. Shawn Michaels
6. Stone Cold Steve Austin
7. The Rock
8. Bret Hart
9. Kurt Angle
10. John Cena

My personal ten best, as in, my favourites? In purely Kayfabe terms:

1. The Rock
2. Hulk Hogan
3. Jeff Hardy
4. Kane (masked)
5. Chris Benoit
6. Christ Jericho
7. Marty Jannetty
8. Macho Man
9. Bradshaw (when he was in the Acolytes/APA)
10. Bret Hart

TheHulk
Originally posted by -Pr-
Greatest as in what, exactly?

If we're going by success and what they've done for the business, then mine would be:

1. Bruno Sammartino
2. Hulk Hogan
3. Ultimate Warrior
4. The Undertaker
5. Shawn Michaels
6. Stone Cold Steve Austin
7. The Rock
8. Bret Hart
9. Kurt Angle
10. John Cena

My personal ten best, as in, my favourites? In purely Kayfabe terms:

1. The Rock
2. Hulk Hogan
3. Jeff Hardy
4. Kane (masked)
5. Chris Benoit
6. Christ Jericho
7. Marty Jannetty
8. Macho Man
9. Bradshaw (when he was in the Acolytes/APA)
10. Bret Hart Sweet list PR.

-Pr-
ty. I know some of mine won't be on anyone's lists, but variety is the spice of life and all.

TheHulk
ty. I know some of mine won't be on anyone's lists, but variety is the spice of life and all. I disagree about Kurt angle though

-Pr-
Oh?

The reason I put him was because he, I think more than anyone before him, paved the way for amateur wrestlers to enter the business. He gave the WWE a sense of legitimacy, and I think he's a large part of why today's roster has so many guys that wrestled in high school or college.

Plus, doesn't he still have like, the best rookie year ever?

TheHulk
Oh?

The reason I put him was because he, I think more than anyone before him, paved the way for amateur wrestlers to enter the business. He gave the WWE a sense of legitimacy, and I think he's a large part of why today's roster has so many guys that wrestled in high school or college. Lol i seriously do not agree on that. Lol Jack Swagger is the closest thing to KA sure but that does not mean he is based on KA or he was inspired by him,As a matter of fact almost all current WWE superstars have a Amateur background. Kurt Angle was great no question but lol he did not pave the way for anyone. The only people that paved a way for WWE for something is,Hulk Hogan paving the way for WWE as a National Sport and The Rock for paving the way for WWE/WWF superstars to Hollywood. But again Kurt Angle was great,badass and a real wrestler no doubt!
Plus, doesn't he still have like, the best rookie year ever? Lol true he was the best rookie smile

-Pr-
Originally posted by TheHulk
Lol i seriously do not agree on that. Lol Jack Swagger is the closest thing to KA sure but that does not mean he is based on KA or he was inspired by him,As a matter of fact almost all current WWE superstars have a Amateur background. Kurt Angle was great no question but lol he did not pave the way for anyone. The only people that paved a way for WWE for something is,Hulk Hogan paving the way for WWE as a National Sport and The Rock for paving the way for WWE/WWF superstars to Hollywood. But again Kurt Angle was great,badass and a real wrestler no doubt!
Lol true he was the best rookie smile

I honestly don't agree. When I was watching it, it honestly felt like it was a huge deal that they'd gotten an Olympic gold medallist to actually join their ranks. I believe Kurt inspired guys like Shelton Benjamin, Brock Lesnar, Bobby Lashley etc.

TheHulk
I honestly don't agree. When I was watching it, it honestly felt like it was a huge deal that they'd gotten an Olympic gold medallist to actually join their ranks. I believe Kurt inspired guys like Shelton Benjamin, Brock Lesnar, Bobby Lashley etc. It is true that Kurt was one of the first or is the first Olympic wrestler to enter the WWF,still lol to say Inspired is a strong word......Shelton Benjamin maybe since he was under Kurt once. The others you name lol no,as a matter a fact both Lesnar and lashley have stated different intentions on why they joined. So yea to say inspired lol no,perhaps paving the way is a better term but still I disagree. But lol lets just leave it as that. Different opinions but the same opinion on how great Angle was...It's true. :smoking:

P.S Brock is in it for the Money.....

JakeTheBank
Shawn Michaels is arguably the best all around performer of all time.

-Pr-
It is true that Kurt was one of the first or is the first Olympic wrestler to enter the WWF,still lol to say Inspired is a strong word......Shelton Benjamin maybe since he was under Kurt once. The others you name lol no,as a matter a fact both Lesnar and lashley have stated different intentions on why they joined. So yea to say inspired lol no,perhaps paving the way is a better term but still I disagree. But lol lets just leave it as that. Different opinions but the same opinion on how great Angle was...It's true. :smoking:

P.S Brock is in it for the Money.....

True, but I don't know if it started that way.

Originally posted by JakeTheBank
Shawn Michaels is arguably the best all around performer of all time.

Can't really argue with that.

TheHulk
Originally posted by JakeTheBank
Shawn Michaels is arguably the best all around performer of all time. thumb up

Which prob is the reason why WWE placed Hin on their Top 50 WWE/WWF Superstars list. evil face

TheHulk
True, but I don't know if it started that way. but anyway we all can agree Kurt Angle was one of the best wrestlers smile

-Pr-
Technically speaking, he might even be the best.

TheHulk
Technically speaking, he might even be the best. *might* but to me no...it's either Bret Hart or Y2J your pick but ill add Kurt Angle,Daniel Bryan,Chris Benoit and CM Punk(Not Punk mark) though.

-Pr-
*might* but to me no...it's either Bret Hart or Y2J your pick but ill add Kurt Angle,Daniel Bryan,Chris Benoit and CM Punk(Not Punk mark) though.

In terms of pure ability, I think Angle is better than Hart or Jericho, but if you add in mic skills and charisma, then either man would be his equal if not his superior.

I even like Jericho a lot more than I do Angle. Just my 2c.

TheHulk
In terms of pure ability, I think Angle is better than Hart or Jericho, but if you add in mic skills and charisma, then either man would be his equal if not his superior.

I even like Jericho a lot more than I do Angle. Just my 2c. I agree with you actually cause this is what I always thought.

Kurt Angle can arguably be the best wrestlers in WWE/WWF of all time and it might also be a fact, because unlike ALL past or present superstars,He had a freaking GOLD MEDAL in OLYMPIC WRESTLING as proof of his legitimacy! and I'm like if that ain't enough than look at it this way,What does Bret Hart or Chris Benoit have to prove they are better wrestlers? Nothing! Cause unlike Kurt Angle he does not have a plucking medal for wrestling,A gold medal for wrestling in the Olympics is a huge accomplishment and is far better than a national champion or winning at Amateur wrestling.

-Pr-
Yeah, exactly. He was factually the best freestyle wrestler in the world in 1996.

I always felt that, in terms of technical ability, that Benoit was the closest to Angle on the roster (I actually preferred Benoit too). Benoit would be in the hall of fame if not for what happened, imo.

Hell, he might even still be competing.

TheHulk
Yeah, exactly. He was factually the best freestyle wrestler in the world in 1996.

I always felt that, in terms of technical ability, that Benoit was the closest to Angle on the roster (I actually preferred Benoit too). Benoit would be in the hall of fame if not for what happened, imo.

Hell, he might even still be competing. Lol to many headbutt bulldogs for Benoit.

-Pr-
Yep. No wonder wrestling is so different nowadays. Guys don't take nearly as many crazy bumps as they used to.

TheHulk
Yep. No wonder wrestling is so different nowadays. Guys don't take nearly as many crazy bumps as they used to. Lol safety first I guess and how are you replying so fast? I add you to my buddy list and it says you aren't even online eek!

Digi
Christian
George "The Animal" Steele
Cactus Jack
Reese (WCW)
The Rock

In that order.

uhuh

TheHulk
Originally posted by Digi
Christian
George "The Animal" Steele
Cactus Jack
Reese (WCW)
The Rock

In that order.

uhuh laughing out loud

-Pr-
Lol safety first I guess and how are you replying so fast? I add you to my buddy list and it says you aren't even online eek!

i'm set to invisible.

quanchi112
Hulk Hogan
Triple H
Undertaker
Bret Hart
Mr. Perfect
Ultimate Warrior
Macho Man

Digi
i'm set to invisible.

There's an invisible setting?! Where have I been for the last 9 years?

quanchi112
There's an invisible setting?! Where have I been for the last 9 years? I really can't see why anyone would want to be invisible tbh.

TheHulk
i'm set to invisible. Funny...I just discovered that option yesterday, while I was changing my Avater pic eek!

TheHulk
There's an invisible setting?! Where have I been for the last 9 years? It's right next to the "edit profile"

TheHulk
Originally posted by quanchi112
I really can't see why anyone would want to be invisible tbh. thumb up

-Pr-
There's an invisible setting?! Where have I been for the last 9 years?

laughing out loud

Paola told me about it.

Originally posted by quanchi112
I really can't see why anyone would want to be invisible tbh.

I have my reasons.

NealTaylor
1. Hogan
2. Warrior
3. Undertaker
4. Tripple H
5. Stone Cold

pym-ftw
1.) Taker
2.) Gorilla Monsoon
3.) Terry Funk
4.) Gorgeous George
5.) Muta / Abdullah

Imho those are the greatest of all time

Hon. Mentions

Bobby Heenan
Randy Savage
Ricky Steamboat
Andre
Mick Foley

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.