Favourite RPG's?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

MadBrok
My personal ones are ME2, Dragonage Origins, Fallout 3 and New Vegas, Elder Scrolls.

Juk3n
Sci-fi Mass EffEct 2
Classic Fantasy is Dragon Age Origins
J-Rpg is Eternal Arcadia

Hnourable mention Golden Sun saga & Deus Ex.

Nephthys

ArtificialGlory
Diablo I & II
Mass Effect 1 & 2
WoW
Might and Magic: World of Xeen
Might and Magic 6 & 7
Icewind Dale

-Pr-
Elite, FF7 & 8, Dragon Age, Mass Effect, Fallout 3.

Juk3n

HighwayMan
one that I'm playing now and I seriously love is Titan Quest.

General_Iroh
Final Fantasy VI/III (SNES)
Chrono Trigger (SNES)
Mass Effect 1 (360)
Oblivion (PS3)
DA: Origins

Digi
Elder Scrolls II: Daggerfall
Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time & Link to the Past
World of Warcraft
Dark Sun: Shattered Lands

...not in any particular order. I have a harder time calling cross-genre games like Shining Force II or Mass Effect RPG's but they'd probably make the list.

BloodRawEngine
As of recently, Monster Hunter. Strictly speaking, I kinda see it as a pseudo-RPG in full light, but that would only be because it's completely different from a normal contemporary JRPG, which aren't all that great imo anyway aside from the Tales series--I don't abhor them quite on the same level as someone like Yahhtzee Crowshaw does, granted. But heck, the one JRPG that I'd say is the quintissential example of a generic and uninspired JRPG would be that one Sakura Wars that made it to the states which, incidentally, ain't all that bad a game if it's what you're looking for.

AsbestosFlaygon
MOTHER 1,2,3
Chrono Trigger and Chrono Cross

FinalAnswer
Persona 3 & 4
Fallout 3 and New Vegas
Dragon Age: Origins
Elder Scrolls: Oblivion

TheGoldenSpy
The new fallouts
Demons souls
Pokemon games

Mass effect ain rpgs those shootin games with conversations. san andreas was more of an rpg than those games.

RE: Blaxican
And yet... you consider Fallout to be an RPG?

BackFire
Final Fantasy VI, Mass Effect 2, Chrono Trigger

§P0oONY
JRPG:
Dragon Quest VIII

WRPG:
Fallout 3

MMORPG:
WoW

Originally posted by Digi
Elder Scrolls II: Daggerfall
Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time & Link to the Past
World of Warcraft
Dark Sun: Shattered Lands

...not in any particular order. I have a harder time calling cross-genre games like Shining Force II or Mass Effect RPG's but they'd probably make the list.
If Zelda is an RPG so is GTA: SA wink

Zelda 2 is the only RPG in the series IMO.

Kosmic King
Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy VI, Fable II (haven't played the first one)

AsbestosFlaygon
Originally posted by RE: Blaxican
Fallout and Mass Effect are more FPS than RPG, imho.

LLLLLink
The Legend of Dragoon for PS1. Epic game is epic.

NemeBro
Originally posted by AsbestosFlaygon
Fallout and Mass Effect are more FPS than RPG, imho. But.

Mass Effect is in third person.

O:

The Scenario
I enjoyed the Paper Mario games quite a bit.

TheGoldenSpy
Originally posted by RE: Blaxican

A lot more than Maciphex yes.

AsbestosFlaygon
Originally posted by NemeBro
But.

Mass Effect is in third person.

O:
Whatever dude.

It's still a shooter game.

Kazenji
Fallout and Mass Effect are more FPS than RPG, imho.

But you still do RPG related stuff in the games erm

srankmissingnin
I was all over Mass Effect 2 balls when I first played it. At the start of the year I would have said it was the best game I have ever played... but after three more play throughs I have come to realize that nothing you do matters at all. The game plays out exactly the same with only a few minor changes no matter what you do. The game tricks you into think it is open world and that your choices mater on the first play though... but it is an illusion. The only thing that chances is the ending... and that is only if you purposely don't complete the character side quests or make bad choices on who you send to do what on the final mission. Maybe I'm just bitter that it didn't live up to my high oppinion of it on the second playthrough.

Fallout 3
Elderscrolls: Oblivion
KOTOR
Xenogears
Legend of Dragoon
Vagrant Story
FF12
Wild Arms 3

NemeBro
Whatever dude.

It's still a shooter game. Yes. A shooter/RPG. smile

Cyner
Originally posted by srankmissingnin
I was all over Mass Effect 2 balls when I first played it. At the start of the year I would have said it was the best game I have ever played... but after three more play throughs I have come to realize that nothing you do matters at all. The game plays out exactly the same with only a few minor changes no matter what you do. The game tricks you into think it is open world and that your choices mater on the first play though... but it is an illusion. The only thing that chances is the ending... and that is only if you purposely don't complete the character side quests or make bad choices on who you send to do what on the final mission. Maybe I'm just bitter that it didn't live up to my high oppinion of it on the second playthrough.

lolwut?

Many people have very very different things happen depending on what they did in the first game, try playing through the first game again with completely different choices and then load the file to see what you get when you play through the second game again. Even if it didn't have those differences though it's still a very immersive and detailed universe populated with interesting characters.

srankmissingnin
Originally posted by Cyner
lolwut?

Many people have very very different things happen depending on what they did in the first game, try playing through the first game again with completely different choices and then load the file to see what you get when you play through the second game again. Even if it didn't have those differences though it's still a very immersive and detailed universe populated with interesting characters.

I only kept one saved file from the original Mass Effect, so the choices that are carried over from an import are the same in each consecutive play through. I don't want to replay the first Mass Effect again (it was a mediocre game) just so I can have a different experience in the second one. I have played Mass Effect 2 four times, once without a character important, and the changes weren't exactly significant. I want my choices to have some effect on the outcome of the game I am playing currently, not the next one, I don't really care how Mass Effect 3 will be effected will I am playing 2. The only significant change in the story comes from not completing the game before you start the finale mission. You have all these dialogue options and paragon / renegade choices, and in the big picture it doesn't matter. You play as an uptight ass hole, or you play as a heroic boy scout... and the game plays out exactly the same. Your choices in ME2 have no consequence, that isn't apparent on the first play though, but it becomes pretty clear on the second one, and that severely lowered my opinion of the game. The choices in the first Mass Effect had more impact on the story than they did in the second one.

I will agree that it is a very detailed universe, but each planet I'm mining having a bio doesn't really help me enjoy the game play any more than normal.

Cyner
Originally posted by srankmissingnin
I only kept one saved file from the original Mass Effect, so the choices that are carried over from an import are the same in each consecutive play through. I don't want to replay the first Mass Effect again (it was a mediocre game) just so I can have a different experience in the second one. I have played Mass Effect 2 four times, once without a character important, and the changes weren't exactly significant. I want my choices to have some effect on the outcome of the game I am playing currently, not the next one, I don't really care how Mass Effect 3 will be effected will I am playing 2. The only significant change in the story comes from not completing the game before you start the finale mission. You have all these dialogue options and paragon / renegade choices, and in the big picture it doesn't matter. You play as an uptight ass hole, or you play as a heroic boy scout... and the game plays out exactly the same. Your choices in ME2 have no consequence, that isn't apparent on the first play though, but it becomes pretty clear on the second one, and that severely lowered my opinion of the game. The choices in the first Mass Effect had more impact on the story than they did in the second one.

I will agree that it is a very detailed universe, but each planet I'm mining having a bio doesn't really help me enjoy the game play any more than normal.

Geez... no wonder you got tired of it! you played a 40 hour game... 4 times

I played through twice, once as a sentinel just going with it. Then I played it as an Adept and made sure I had all my choices exactly how I wanted them. The end. I'll probably buy the Lair of the Shadow Broker DLC in a few days and finish up that character totally.

Seriously though diversify what you play, find a secondary hobby, play a competitive multiplayer game, or something similar so that you're not playing the same game 9001 times.

srankmissingnin
Originally posted by Cyner
Geez... no wonder you got tired of it! you played a 40 hour game... 4 times

I played through twice, once as a sentinel just going with it. Then I played it as an Adept and made sure I had all my choices exactly how I wanted them. The end. I'll probably buy the Lair of the Shadow Broker DLC in a few days and finish up that character totally.

Seriously though diversify what you play, find a secondary hobby, play a competitive multiplayer game, or something similar so that you're not playing the same game 9001 times.

I have an ocd thing, I have to 100% everything I play, see all the options and choices. Deadspace nearly killed me with that Don't get cocky, kid achievement almost killed me. sad

HigH ScholaR
I really enjoy RPG's my "favourites" are:

Baten kaitos: Enternal Wings and the Lost Ocean (GC)
Lost kingdoms 2 (GC)
Suikoden Tierkreis (DS)
Golden Sun (GBA)
Final Fantasy 3 (DS)

Fire emblem is alright i guess though it gets a mention its not one of my favourites

ares834
KotOR, Mass Effect, Oblivion, Dragon Age, and Icewind Dale

General Kaliero
Final Fantasy VI, Mass Effect 2, Tales of the Abyss!

Peach
Final Fantasy X.

§P0oONY
Originally posted by General Kaliero
Final Fantasy VI, Mass Effect 2, Tales of the Abyss! Did you not find that TotA dragged? I just wanted it to end.

Nephthys
Thread needs more Shin Megami Tensei.

Kosmic King
Fallout is an RPG. Infact, it's more of an RPG than Final Fantasy is.

RE: Blaxican
Fallout's weak though. So, whatever.

FinalAnswer
Originally posted by Nephthys
Thread needs more Shin Megami Tensei.

Originally posted by FinalAnswer
Persona 3 & 4

Allankles
In no particular order:-
Elder Scrolls IV
Deus Ex Invisible War
Mass Effect 2

Risen (the PC's cynicism and sense of humor did it for me, the English VA did a great job),

Planescape Torment (story framework was excellent, gameplay is horrid by contemporary standards).

KOTOR 2 (tried to actually inject some life into SW, in an expanded universe where everyone seems to simply want to cash in on the brand, or rehash the OT and/or the prequels).

Cyner
Fallout 2
Final Fantasy 5
Diablo 2
Mass Effect 2
Oblivion
Paper Mario
Chrono Trigger
Pokemon: Soul Silver

probably more that I can't think of right now

Oden Balsarath
Xenogears
Xenosaga Episode I
Xenosaga Episode II
Xenosaga Episode III
Chrono Cross
Final Fantasy VII
Final Fantasy Tactics
Vagrant Story
Baten Kaitos: Eternal Wings and the Lost Ocean
Baten Kaitos Origins

-Standby-
Tales of the World:Radiant Mythology for PSP

Impediment
Final Fantasy VII
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time and Twilight Princess
Super Paper Mario
The Legend of Dragoon
Chrono Trigger
Chrono Cross
Secret of Mana

Kosmic King
Few more:

Final Fantasy X, Super MArio RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars, Lufia 2: Rise of the Sinistrals and Final Fantasy IV

Kosmic King
My new favourite is Fire Emblem

FinalAnswer
Demon's Souls, I guess.

AsbestosFlaygon
Originally posted by Impediment

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time and Twilight Princess

That's not a RPG. It's an action/adventure game.

Kosmic King
Another - Phantasy Star 1

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.