O Brother where art though?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

K.Diddy
smokin' Seen this last night,I thought it was far from brilliant but definitely very original with some great characters,The dialogue was well done and some of the scenes are fairly memorable 7.5/10

The Nuul
My least fav film from the Brothers.

HighwayMan
It's an average film IMO, which is of course below standard Coens quality.

Kazenji
Seen the movie a couple of times.....has its moments.

Impediment
It's a brilliant film based upon Homer's Odyssey. Even though I am an atheist, the Christian folk soundtrack is awesome.

siriuswriter
I love this movie.

Which makes a lot of people that I know confused.

But I LOVE it. And I've got to agree with Impediment, I bought the soundtrack and everytime "'Po Lazarus'" starts up, I stop working on the computer. big grin

(and I just have to bring up my grammar nazi for ten seconds and say, "It's 'Oh Brother, Where Art Thou?'"
mmmkay.)

K.Diddy
Originally posted by Impediment
Even though I am an atheist, the Christian folk soundtrack is awesome.

beer That was my main problem with this movie,I know the Coen Brothers use religion in most or all of their films,but I feel like religion was just used way to heavily in this one.

General_Iroh
Originally posted by K.Diddy
beer That was my main problem with this movie,I know the Coen Brothers use religion in most or all of their films,but I feel like religion was just used way to heavily in this one.
Well it's based on the Odyssey which focuses very heavily on the gods, so it makes sense for it to focus on modern day religion. erm

jinXed by JaNx
great movie

Zampanó
This is a family favorite, I would be remiss if I didn't point out that it "rox."

Sadako of Girth
Indeed, Zampano...and excellent movie. A timeless classic.

I hear you Kdiddy, it did have a lot of religious overtones, but damn the characters were awesome, the plot/script/direction all immaculate and the soundtrack was killer too.
Also Raider of the Lost Ark had a lot of religious themery too, but that still rocks my boat, despite my atheism. The Blues Brothers too.
Based on the same attributes above.

I find religious "history" movies a bore, and I can't stand shitty movies.

But great movies with religion kept at a level where it doesn't insult the intelligence of the viewer too much can rock all night like Zampano says. IMHO

HighwayMan
Really, people have an issue, or would consider having an issue with a movie based on whether it has religious themes or not? I'm not exactly an atheist, but some of my favourite books, movies and shows were made by outspoken atheists. It's never occurred to me that that should have an influence over my enjoyment of something.

Robtard
Dope film, I love it. Probably my 3rd or 4th favorite Coen Bros flick.

Good story, great dialogue and characters. As mentioned, as solid soundtrack to boot.

Sadako of Girth
Originally posted by HighwayMan
Really, people have an issue, or would consider having an issue with a movie based on whether it has religious themes or not? I'm not exactly an atheist, but some of my favourite books, movies and shows were made by outspoken atheists. It's never occurred to me that that should have an influence over my enjoyment of something.

People are different i guess.

Its like when I watch badly mimed guitar in films, it pulls me out of the reality of the movie, places a big anorak on my ass and I become a complete hopeless trainspotter.

Robtard
Originally posted by Sadako of Girth
People are different i guess.

Its like when I watch badly mimed guitar in films, it pulls me out of the reality of the movie, places a big anorak on my ass and I become a complete hopeless trainspotter.

Being music illiterate, I don't suffer from that.

But I hear ya overall and I do respect when actors take the time to learn and instrument for a role, eg Adrian Brody took piano lessons for his role in the Pianist.

Sadako of Girth
That is an excellent touch.

Just like Jamie Fox in "Ray" too. Brilliant work.
He already could play but studied with Ray Charles himself and learned from the master....even singing and moving like him.. I found that really impressive.. Ralph Macchio too in Crossroads (For the most part)...his movements are a bit out of synch sometimes, but he actually frets the notes "as is"

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.