Red State

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Impediment
Three horny high school boys come across an online personal ad from an older woman looking for a gang bang and, boys being boys, they hit the road to satisfy their libidinal urges but what begins as a fantasy takes a dark turn as they come face-to-face with a terrifying fundamentalist "holy" force with a fatal agenda.

exm22OReBmA

Dare I say that Kevin Smith, of Jay & Silent Bob fame, may reinvent himself with his latest film, Red State? I certainly hope so. Not that I don't like Smith's films, most of them, anyway, but one can only go so far with "Snootchie Bootchies", if you ask me.

BTW, I realize that this is a thriller. I felt it would be better suited here since the Horror Forum is dead.

K.Diddy
beer Looks interesting

Robtard
I'll give it a shot, Smith said he was inspired by Fred Phelps.

BruceSkywalker
no one in the cast is appealing to me, so because this is a kevin smith film i will see it

The Nuul
John Goodman is not good for you?

BruceSkywalker
Originally posted by The Nuul
John Goodman is not good for you?

not really,but he'll prolly surprise me after i see this

The Nuul
http://www.bloody-disgusting.com/film/1353/review

BackFire
I'm not expecting much with this one.

Kevin Smith is a solid writer, but he's not a great director. Horror is often a Director's genre, much more so reliant of visual impact than it is well written characters or dialogue. I don't see him being particularly successful with the horror genre.

Kazenji
Read something during the week Kevin Smith gonna self-distribute this film.

Wolfie
I enjoy Kevin Smith's movies. I have them all. I think he makes enjoyable films.

However, he established himself with comedies (Clerks). Recently he did an action (Cop Out), granted it was part comedy too. And now he's doing a horror movie.

It sounds like to me that Smith sees himself at the same level as Kubrick.

And I agree with BF above. Smith's method has been for years to put the camera down and let the actors do their thing.

Darth Jello
Saw this on Tuesday. I personally liked it but think it's going to be very difficult for people to like because it doesn't stick to a particular genre, its pace is very disturbing, and there isn't a single character who isn't despicable. For those who don't know, this is Kevin's going to do one more film after this and then retire. That's the plan right now anyway and it sucks because other than Hit Somebody (his next and last film), he still has a lot of good ideas that have been touted for years that will probably never get made now thanks mostly to bad experiences with Miramax's and Weinstein Company's horrific marketing department and the even worse experience of working with Bruce Willis that pretty much drove Smith to focus on podcasting, radio, and film distribution and producing instead.
Anyway, if you want to see a good looking film that was shot for $4 million over six weeks and was cut and completed at its premiere party but still stands as a fairly dark commentary on contemporary views on the value of human life, go check this out.

Esau Cairn
Originally posted by BackFire
I'm not expecting much with this one.

Kevin Smith is a solid writer, but he's not a great director. Horror is often a Director's genre, much more so reliant of visual impact than it is well written characters or dialogue. I don't see him being particularly successful with the horror genre.

You mean the donkey scene in Clerks 2 wasn't horror enough for you!??!!?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.