Question Re: DMC

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Tramps Lady
I can't remember if I've asked this previously, so I'll ask again.

I was watching DMC last night. And one thing I've never been able to fully understand is this (bare in mind that it's the tiniest detail, really):

In the middle of the three-way swordfight, where Jack tells Norrington that Will was the one who ruined his life, Norrington says "unfortunately, Mr. Turner, he's right!"
Now this could seem, from his tone, that he means "Unfortunately, Mr. Turner, he IS right!" as to say, he's telling Will.
However, it keeps running in my mind that he could be saying "unfortunately it was Mr. Turner, he's right!" as to say, he's realizing it to himself. (I know he doesn't actually say it, and so it should seem like the first one, but his tone doesn't entirely make it clear :P )

I understand it's the minute if details... And it really isn't a big deal, but what do you guys think? I constantly think about it for ages after that line.

siriuswriter
It's just Jack trying to get attention away from himself. He knows if he can get Norrington's attention off him, he can go to the thump-thump and trump everyone.

So he gives Norrington a reason to put his attention on Will - Unfortunately, in Norry's mind, stealing the love of his life trumps the time when Norry himself let the Black Pearl have a few days head-start.

So he realizes which fight he would rather be fighting , and turns on Will. Norry has always kept semi-calm, and DMC is his turn to realize his emotions.

I hope this helps....

Tramps Lady
Well, it helped and it didn't. Haha.
It's cool; it's technically a hard question to answer, as it relates to the script, I guess.

It really doesn't matter anyways, as stated; it's the tiniest detail. Hehe.

smile

Bwa Ha Ha
Hold on... So 'Unfortunately it was Mr. Turner' as in... Regretful? Like, 'Aww, too bad it was him?'

It's just that the way you phrased that is slightly confusing me...

Tramps Lady
Well he says "unfortunately (slight pause) Mr. Turner (pause) hes right"

And I'm confused as to though hes saying to will "well, will, sorry, but he's right" or if he's saying to himself "damn, it WAS Turner, he's right"

If that helps?

siriuswriter
Originally posted by Tramps Lady
Well he says "unfortunately (slight pause) Mr. Turner (pause) hes right"

And I'm confused as to though hes saying to will "well, will, sorry, but he's right" or if he's saying to himself "damn, it WAS Turner, he's right"

If that helps?

Norrington has no hesitations here - he hates both Jack and Will, it just was the pick of the draw of the Mexico stand-off that Norry was caught fighting Jack - if he could, he would be fighting off both of them. Norry only joined the crew on desperation alone.

So Jack is kind of saying, why are you fighting me? What did I ever do to you? This other guy ruined your life! He humiliated you! Norry agrees with Jack that he hates Will more. When he goes "Unfortunately," he's being bitter and sarcastic. "Unfortunately, Mr. Turner, he is right."

Justifying leaving Jack alone while he turns on Will. Norry is still thinking, 'it's okay, i'll get jack after i take care of will.'

So the English in the script is okay. It makes sense. Norry said the right thing. All is right with the world.

Bwa Ha Ha
What sirius said. But yeah, I basically took it as a sort of, "Woah, he's right," combined with "LOL, Will, you're gonna die now."

Tramps Lady
Okies. I think that'll stop me from thinking so much :P

siriuswriter
Haha. Thinking is not bad, I just like to look intelligent by answering people's questions.

Tramps Lady
I know EXACTLY what you mean. I also like to use big words; like antagonizing. Hehhe

Bwa Ha Ha
Tintinnabulation.

siriuswriter
Antidisestablishmentarianism.

Tramps Lady
Naww, I was gunna write that sad hahaha

Bwa Ha Ha
Did you look it up or already know it, though?

siriuswriter
Originally posted by Bwa Ha Ha
Did you look it up or already know it, though?

already know it. i think that that fun fact was brought to me my sophomore high school year.

Bwa Ha Ha
Oh. Okay, you get the bonus points!

eek!

*Note to self: Look up word and memorize it*

Tramps Lady
haha.
I was in English one day, and my friend said it's not a real word, because it has two negatives.

And I said no, it's a real word. So I got my phone out and looked it up to prove it to him.

I won.

Bwa Ha Ha
You should've done a little victory dance and stuff.

Tramps Lady
I did. smile

Bwa Ha Ha
*high fives*

Tramps Lady
*high fives back*

Bwa Ha Ha
*high fives you too*

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.