Superman 2012

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Darth Venom
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6kKva1XIjI

Darth Venom
Im not sure what to think he does look the part ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6kKva1XIjI

Impediment
Directed by Zack Snyder. Green screen Man of Steel flying in slow motion, anyone?

Here's to hoping that the producers pick a villain other than Lex Luthor.

steverules_2
I think he does have the superman look about him, but I hope doesn't suck...and I hope the movie doesn't suck either. I'm hoping we see brainiac...but I'm not gonna get my hopes up

ADarksideJedi
So is this a complete new one or a second movie?

Impediment
It's a reboot.

I'm hoping for Metallo or Brainiac, personally.

DarkNemesis
Originally posted by Impediment
It's a reboot.

Me too, and I doubt it'll be Luther again (god forbid). Considering Zack Snyder and his over-the-top action sequences, picking a more powerful villain, someone who can goe toe-to-toe with Superman, would be most effective for his directing style.

BruceSkywalker
Originally posted by Impediment
It's a reboot.

same here, and then if there be a sequel Darkseid

Robtard
He looks the part, am uncertain how he'll act it, only seen him as his character in The Tudors.

Galan007
Tbh I don't care who the villain is, so long as Superman does something other than stalk Lois. none

dadudemon
The dude they chose for superman is alright...but he needs to put on more muscle.

Also, the dudes they choose for Superman are always too young looking for my choice of what a "human" as Superman should look like. Christopher Reeve really was the best "looks like my idea of Superman" actor. He looked old enough, had the stature, and put on a sizable amount of muscle for his later films.

BackFire
Scuttlebutt is that Olivia Wilde will be Lois Lane.

Robtard
Originally posted by dadudemon
The dude they chose for superman is alright...but he needs to put on more muscle.

Also, the dudes they choose for Superman are always too young looking for my choice of what a "human" as Superman should look like. Christopher Reeve really was the best "looks like my idea of Superman" actor. He looked old enough, had the stature, and put on a sizable amount of muscle for his later films.

Agreed.

Here's the thing though, wouldn't Superman be a muscle-less mass and have that 'soggy' Hugh Grant look if he were real? He'd never be able to lift anything that would tax his muscles, even Earth's gravity wouldn't matter much when doing calisthenics.

-Pr-
Originally posted by BackFire

not sure how i feel about that.

Originally posted by Robtard
Agreed.

Here's the thing though, wouldn't Superman be a muscle-less mass and have that 'soggy' Hugh Grant look if he were real? He'd never be able to lift anything that would tax his muscles, even Earth's gravity wouldn't matter much when doing calisthenics.

comic book science. honestly, they make him much or as unlike humans as they see fit.

BruceSkywalker

i heard that. also heard kristen stewart is up for it as wll

Olivia Wilde could rock it IMHO

-Pr-
kristen stewart is too young looking imo.

dadudemon
Originally posted by -Pr-

Agreed. Someone that is 30-35 would be a better choice.

Esau Cairn
So far, 2 versions of the plot I've read about:

a) A Clark Kent "coming of age" story. Something about him doing an assignment in Africa & helping out some tribe in trouble with his new found powers.

b)Lex & Brainiac team-up to destroy The Daily Planet. Chris Nolan's brother had a hand in the script.

BruceSkywalker

Originally posted by dadudemon
Agreed. Someone that is 30-35 would be a better choice.

if she were to be hired they are just doing that to get the twilight crowd involved sad

Mr. Rhythmic
Originally posted by Esau Cairn

a) A Clark Kent "coming of age" story. Something about him doing an assignment in Africa & helping out some tribe in trouble with his new found powers.

b)Lex & Brainiac team-up to destroy The Daily Planet. Chris Nolan's brother had a hand in the script.

Both plot points are failures.

-Pr-

a) sounds like part of the birthright storyline. not bad, just meh...

b) the daily planet? kind of a small target for such a big team...

Robtard

-Doesn't sound all that great, maybe with a proper villain. Overall, sounds fail-esque.

-Lex needs no part in this reboot, maybe in later films. Brainiac would be good, but the "plot to destroy the Daily Planet" is utter fail.

I'd rather they do a Red Son version and bring back the glory of 80's cold-war films than either of those.

jaden101
Still prefer the sound of the version someone posted on IMDB ages ago about Superman fighting an army of radioactive super squirrels.

captainwesker
Am I the only one who thinks Brandon Routh should have been Snyder's Superman? I kind of liked Superman Returns and Routh pulled off the Clark Kent/Superman esque very well.

The two actors that would have been perfect for the role is either Routh or the Matthew Bomer the lead from White Collar.

ADarksideJedi
That is all we need is another Superman movie.Why do we have to keep remaking this movie over and over again.

jinXed by JaNx
At this point i imagine it would be go big or go home for a Superman movie. There needs to be a powerful and memorable villain. That was one of the biggest problems with Returns. The villain was to familiar and stock.

captainwesker
I'd prefer if Doomsday or Darkseid was the villain for the new Superman movie, it'll be epic either way with those 2.

steverules_2
Originally posted by ADarksideJedi
That is all we need is another Superman movie.Why do we have to keep remaking this movie over and over again.

This isn't a remake it's a reboot, and this would be the first time they've rebooted it

Esau Cairn

This is Hollywood's last chance to make another Superman movie.
I think from memory the movie rights expire at the end of 2013, meaning ownership of Superman goes back to Siegal/Shuster family estate.

It would cost millions for Hollywood to buy the rights back again after next year.

So yes, a rush job to get Supes back on the big screen.

noir101
darkseid. please darkseid.

ADarksideJedi
This is Hollywood's last chance to make another Superman movie.
I think from memory the movie rights expire at the end of 2013, meaning ownership of Superman goes back to Siegal/Shuster family estate.

It would cost millions for Hollywood to buy the rights back again after next year.

So yes, a rush job to get Supes back on the big screen.

Still....why brother?

TxG

I think Rachel McAdams or Emily Blunt would be better choices.

They both got that quirky humour about them.

steverules_2
Still....why brother?

Because they don't wanna lose one of their biggest cash draws. The movie might even be good, they rebooted batman which is a good example of a good reboot. They aren't gonna give up on supes because of the amount of money he makes for the company. Who knows...the movie might actually be good.

ADarksideJedi
Maybe I never liked any of the ones I saw but I did use to watch the old superman cartoons they were interesting.

Esau Cairn
Still....why brother?

For the simple reason that the merchandise (toys, games, clothing,dvd sales) will make up the profits regardless of the movie being an epic fail or not.

Remember Ang Lee's Hulk?
The cost of those kid's Hulk power gloves was the equivalent of 2 adult movie tickets.

ares834
I'm just hoping they gloss over Superman's origin story. I mean everyone knows it already.

-Pr-

they're not remaking anything. it's a new superman movie. emphasis on "new".

as for why: it's superman. he's arguably the biggest superhero ever. not making movies about him would be a waste.

vjackcon
looking great.. he is looking too young

jaden101
Bit concerned about the casting

http://poorlydressed.files.wordpress.com/2011/03/fashion-fail-its-not-a-bird-its-not-a-plane-but-it-definitely-isnt-superman.jpg

Schelster
I just want to see in Superman 2012 is more on fighting scene and get a stronger enemy.

Zack Fair
What I would like to see is Clark Kent in action. I don't want the dumb persona, but the strong character he is in comics. I mean...the pullitzer winner...the clark who was not a loser =\. Perhaps showing us why he chose to work in a newspaper in the first place. Using his connections to unravel the mystery behind the big bad guy.

The bad guy should be someone imposing. Someone who threatens Superman and therefor the world. I don't care if an enemy is terrorizing the city if I know Supes could just end it if he just let aside his morals and ethics. I want to see him get pushed physically and emotionally. Having to come up with a tough decision. Perhaps even killing a villain because he had no other choice and then showing us the consequences it had in his character and how it shaped him.

I want no Lex. Villain could be someone like Zod...Mongul, even Bizarro if done right. Kindda like showing us why Supes is so scared of going all out by using Bizarro as a contrast. Metallo could work too. There are a lot of possibilities. They just need to be willing to forget the last movies and focus on a new generation of kids/adults that watch these type of movies.

With all the super hero movies out there you'd think they would actually give other villains a chance.

All in all its time to kick nostalgia's ass and move on.

RE: Blaxican
Originally posted by Zack Fair
What I would like to see is Clark Kent in action. I don't want the dumb persona, but the strong character he is in comics. I mean...the pullitzer winner...the clark who was not a loser =\. Perhaps showing us why he chose to work in a newspaper in the first place. Using his connections to unravel the mystery behind the big bad guy.

The bad guy should be someone imposing. Someone who threatens Superman and therefor the world. I don't care if an enemy is terrorizing the city if I know Supes could just end it if he just let aside his morals and ethics. I want to see him get pushed physically and emotionally. Having to come up with a tough decision. Perhaps even killing a villain because he had no other choice and then showing us the consequences it had in his character and how it shaped him.

I want no Lex. Villain could be someone like Zod...Mongul, even Bizarro if done right. Kindda like showing us why Supes is so scared of going all out by using Bizarro as a contrast. Metallo could work too. There are a lot of possibilities. They just need to be willing to forget the last movies and focus on a new generation of kids/adults that watch these type of movies.

With all the super hero movies out there you'd think they would actually give other villains a chance.

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h225/Axcel3/340x-3.gif

dadudemon
Originally posted by Zack Fair

I agree and very nicely written. You should be a DC Comics movie producer. Just give out these memos to writers/directors that petition to write a movie. The you come in and do the studio proud with your orders...

Mindset
Not sure how Bizarro would be a good villain for a movie, though.

Esau Cairn
Don't you get the feeling that villains with names like Bizarro & Metallo only work best in comics & not a live action movie?

The Nuul
Biz, no...hes too goofy. Metallo would be cool.

RE: Blaxican
They could make it work by making fun of it in the movie itself.

If "Doc Ock" can fly in a movie, so can Bizarro.

-Pr-
Bizarro doesn't really have the mental capacity to be a villain. Metallo being worthy would involve Superman being kinda useless for most of the movie.

Mongul and Zod are better choices imo...

Newjak
I think Metallo would be a good first movie villain for Superman.

He's strong enough to be a threat to the populace. Has a good way of beating Superman once, because let's be honest first movies even reboots are gonna be origin stories so why waste the best villain you have for a few scuffles that there won't be a lot of time to flesh out.

It's the second movie that you can pull away from character development to have a much bigger villain. I think the Dark Knight got it right save the biggest villain for the second.

So I say Matallo is perfect for the first one, then for the second I want Doomsday or Zod but more Doomsday then Zod.

marwash22
Metallo would be noice.

siriuswriter
Yeah, Henry Caville looks the part...

And so did Brandon Routh a few years ago. And Kevin Spacey looked a lot like Lex Luthor, as did Kate Bosworth Lois Lane.

Why are we rebooting?

The Nuul
Part 1 could be Metallo with Lex as a back up villain and his way out the door.

DS trilogy is what I really want.

-Pr-
The only way I could see Metallo working would be how he was in the Secret Origin series. A final bad guy, but not someone that's there all through the movie.

We got ten years of "oh no, kryptonite!" in smallville, and in returns... bleh.

Originally posted by siriuswriter

And so did Brandon Routh a few years ago. And Kevin Spacey looked a lot like Lex Luthor, as did Kate Bosworth Lois Lane.

Why are we rebooting?

because not everyone liked routh, spacey or (ugh) bosworth.

super pr*xy
total film magazine talking with snyder about viggo as zod..

http://www.totalfilm.com/news/viggo-mortensen-definitely-not-zod-in-superman-man-of-steel

the only problem i have with "returns" cast is bosworth, not to take anything away from her as an actress but she was a huge miscast..

marwash22
good point about the kryptonite. Smallville used that as a plot device much too often for my liking. I'd only wanna see Metallo because it would give Supes someone he can actually, ya know, fight.

Cadmus would be epic.

-Pr-
Originally posted by marwash22
good point about the kryptonite. Smallville used that as a plot device much too often for my liking. I'd only wanna see Metallo because it would give Supes someone he can actually, ya know, fight.

Cadmus would be epic.

That would be fine for me too. Thankfully, we have Zack Snyder, and if there's one thing I trust him for, it's to do brutal hand to hand combat. I wanna see collateral damage and Superman punching someone through buildings...

chipper7777
Originally posted by siriuswriter

Why are we rebooting?

According to some releases, it's not a reboot. i think i came read somewhere that it's going to be the story of superman before he accepted his destiny as the savior of the world.

Snyder did say that he will make it as if no superman film has been done before but that is only i think in terms of treatment.

BruceLeesGhost
That would be fine for me too. Thankfully, we have Zack Snyder, and if there's one thing I trust him for, it's to do brutal hand to hand combat. I wanna see collateral damage and Superman punching someone through buildings...

As do I, I trust Snyder to be very respectful of the source material as well. I've actually said to Alan Moore he should watch Watchmen.

ares834
I don't want Metallo either. Kryptonite ruins movies. Bring in Brainiac and tie him into Krypton's destruction. Now that is they way to go.

chipper7777
if sucker punch is any indication on the CG of superman, it's wort a shot.

i just hope someone else is writing the script because narrative is not zack's strongest suit.

Newjak
Yeah K-Nite can be very overdone with Superman but an in origin story its hard to not find a reason to put it in there. It is a mainstay of Superman's Mythos.

It also gives him some of his best moments of character development because it is one of the few times a crowd can view him as human and having to struggle. So when he overcomes it or struggles to win despite being showered by K-Nite it tends to really showcase his will and resolve.

At least its a classic way of doing it.

Mr. Rhythmic
Originally posted by marwash22
Metallo would be noice.

I want to see Metallo eventually, but I think that he has too much of a story, and Kryptonite too close to the mythos, to be use on the first go.

-Pr-
Originally posted by Newjak
Yeah K-Nite can be very overdone with Superman but an in origin story its hard to not find a reason to put it in there. It is a mainstay of Superman's Mythos.

It also gives him some of his best moments of character development because it is one of the few times a crowd can view him as human and having to struggle. So when he overcomes it or struggles to win despite being showered by K-Nite it tends to really showcase his will and resolve.

At least its a classic way of doing it.

It's not an origin story though.

Robtard
They need to go all out and stop ****ing around, Superman is a huge icon, arguably the biggest comic-book icon ever. Even if you live in a cave, you probably have basic knowledge of Superman. No more origins, period. No more rehasing of the movies/plots we previously have been given.

That said, Darkseid should be the next villain and it should be done in three parts. Have the first film center around the coming invasion of Earth, there's plenty of Darkseid goons who are powerful enough to give Superman a challenge, then move on from there with the final confrontation with Darkseid himself in the 3rd film.

The Nuul
A DS trilogy would be the best. I agree thumb up

roxiea90

Newjak
It's not an origin story though. If that's the case my bad.

I just generally equate first films even reboots to be origin stories.

H. S. 6
I trust Snyder enough as a direct that, should he choose to include the origin, he won't draw it out unnecessarily or even include it without a valid reason.

We all know his origin. Get to the super-punching.

Dr Will Hatch
They need to go all out and stop ****ing around, Superman is a huge icon, arguably the biggest comic-book icon ever. Even if you live in a cave, you probably have basic knowledge of Superman. No more origins, period. No more rehasing of the movies/plots we previously have been given.

That said, Darkseid should be the next villain and it should be done in three parts. Have the first film center around the coming invasion of Earth, there's plenty of Darkseid goons who are powerful enough to give Superman a challenge, then move on from there with the final confrontation with Darkseid himself in the 3rd film.

Unless they're using Jobberseid, I'm skeptical. Darkseid is by most accounts WAY above Superman in power levels. They should save him a Justice League movie.

-Pr-
Originally posted by Newjak
If that's the case my bad.

I just generally equate first films even reboots to be origin stories.

According to Diane Lane in a recent interview, it might be, or we'll get flash backs, as she said we'll get to see Superman at various points in his life...

Nephthys
A Synopsis of the movie. Apparantly this is going to be Smallville: The Movie.

quanchi112

That said, Darkseid should be the next villain and it should be done in three parts. Have the first film center around the coming invasion of Earth, there's plenty of Darkseid goons who are powerful enough to give Superman a challenge, then move on from there with the final confrontation with Darkseid himself in the 3rd film. I'd rather have Doomsday then Darkseid but both would be eagerly welcomed as opposed to another round of General Zod.

Impediment
Bizzaro, Brainiac, Darkseid, Doomsday, Livewire, Lobo, Metallo, Mongul, Mr. Mxyzptlk, Parasite..........................

I want to see ANY of these characters in the reboot other than Lex Goddamn F*cking Luthor as the main villain.

Ridley_Prime
It's always the human or most human-like villains they wanna use first because they're the easiest to portray. erm Not to say that it justifies the overusage of Lex or anything, but it is part of why Venom in particular had so little screentime in Spider-Man 3. egh We'll be incredibly lucky if Darkseid or one of the less human/non-human bad guys gets to be the main villain for a full-blown live action movie, the way I see it, cuz it takes a lot more work than it would to portray Lex, which they could hire just about any bald guy or actor to become bald for.

aanthonyfranks

super pr*xy
cop out excuse.. gollum from LOTR, caesar from ROTPOTA, king-kong, the f*cking transformers for crying out loud.. its not like we don't have the technology or ability.. lex IS overused.. i would rather have this a stand-alone story than have any sort of continuation from superman returns.. i think with good writing, it could work.. plus, that's what the comics do, this arc done, move to the next one.. why can't it be like that for the movies..

Nephthys
Don't worry about it being a continuation of Superman Returns, according to the synopsis I posted above this will be a retelling of Supermans Origin Story.

Personally I think this is really ****ing stupid idea. We all know Supermans origins. We don't need to be retold them. Its ground already walked. Plus we literally just finished 10 ****ing seasons of Smallville doing the same thing. And seriously, if this is what is going to happen then I think it seriously risks being seen as yet another goddamn Reboot. WE DON'T WANT ANOTHER REBOOT!

But at least the synopsis also says that the world will come under attack, giving me hope that the villian will be an alien threat who attacks the entire planet rather than Lex Luthor plot no3228. Darkseid, Doomsday and Brainiac all fit into this so I'm hopefull.

Ridley_Prime
Yeah, we've seen some or enough traces of Superman's origins in both Superman Returns and some of the Christopher Reeves films as it is, in addition to Smallville as mentioned. It's not necessary to show or keep showing his origins like it was for Bruce in Batman Begins, since Burton's films didn't show the true origins of Bats.

That last part is good to hear though, at least.

jaden101
Originally posted by Nephthys

But at least the synopsis also says that the world will come under attack, giving me hope that the villian will be an alien threat who attacks the entire planet rather than Lex Luthor plot no3228. Darkseid, Doomsday and Brainiac all fit into this so I'm hopefull.

It's already widely known that Zod is the antagonist. I personally think that Michael Shannon is a great choice to play Zod as well. He has shown in Boardwalk Empire that he is physically imposing and has one of the meanest looks about him. Javier Bardem would've also fit the role well if he lost a few lbs.

I don't think we have too much to worry about in terms of the writing as it's David Goyer who penned it and his previous work is pretty decent...Batman Begins, Dark Knight, Dark Knight Rises, The Blade trilogy (and the tv series), Dark City, Jumper (which was a crap movie but had a decent premise) as well as other TV work such as FlashForward.

I'm more concerned with how Zach Snyder's directive style will fit with the Superman image.

Time will tell though...Although this thread should now be renamed Superman 2013.

-Pr-
Originally posted by jaden101
It's already widely known that Zod is the antagonist. I personally think that Michael Shannon is a great choice to play Zod as well. He has shown in Boardwalk Empire that he is physically imposing and has one of the meanest looks about him. Javier Bardem would've also fit the role well if he lost a few lbs.

I don't think we have too much to worry about in terms of the writing as it's David Goyer who penned it and his previous work is pretty decent...Batman Begins, Dark Knight, Dark Knight Rises, The Blade trilogy (and the tv series), Dark City, Jumper (which was a crap movie but had a decent premise) as well as other TV work such as FlashForward.

I'm more concerned with how Zach Snyder's directive style will fit with the Superman image.

Time will tell though...Although this thread should now be renamed Superman 2013.

Goyer was rumoured to base it off of John Byrne's man of steel. That would be very bad if it was true.

karandosanjh
all parts of superman is good,i think its also b good

Scythe
then move on from there with the final confrontation with Darkseid himself in the 3rd film.

In THREEEEEEEE-DEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

Ungh.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.