Star Wars Finish What You Promised Lucas

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Dermot
I was only 7 at the time but didnt George Lucas mention that he planned to make 9 episodes not long after completion of a new hope.

LanceWindu
Originally posted by Dermot
I was only 7 at the time but didnt George Lucas mention that he planned to make 9 episodes not long after completion of a new hope.

He never promised that.

darthmaul1
I know he did originally plan to do 9 movies but after episode 6 and once the prequel was done he called it quits. Cause obviously after the death of the emporer and vader the empire just gives up. LOL.

queeq
There once was a plan for twelve movies even. Before they started on Empire ANH was even considered Episode 5 for a while. There's be a trilogy of the Clone Wars, prologue movies, epilogue movies etc.

But this was not a promise, they were vague plans. Lucas wrote down CLone Wars because he had a vague idea about it. At the time of ESB Clones weren't even soldiers. There were a 'race'... even Lando in an early stage was once identified one of these Clone People....

Don't think Lucas had all of this mapped out... He had big plans and even though he didn't make nine or twelve movies, his big plans did become reality I think.

Ushgarak
The story always ended at Return of the Jedi. What he 'skipped', assuming you give credence to his grand plan, were the three films between ESB and ROTJ.

So he's already finished it; he did the last part. There is not a story afterwards to tell. All we missed was a longer struggle between Rebels and Empire and Luke's search for his sister; they just made the sister Leia instead.

queeq
But that was the plan. The OT trilogy would be about LUke finding out about his father and defeating Darth vader at the end of the trilogy.

After that the search for his sister (not Leia) would commence and his move against the Emperor as ultimate foe to be destroyed in ep9 or even later. GL wrapped all of that up in one movie.

But mind you, these were just ideas. There wasn't a detailed or even outlined plan. In writing ESB there was first a line by Yoda saying: We must find another... I don't think they had a sisterplot worked out by then... It doesn't seem so anyway.

But as for the episodes: they were broad strokes. It was intended to be a kind of serial.

dadudemon
I remember watching in one of the specials on TPM, the narrator said something about possibly doing episodes 7, 8, and 9. This was said as GL was sitting in his home, at his desk, where he told the interviewer/camera about the process he did to write TPM. He was facing towards the left side of the screen (left, for the viewer) while looking at the camera for the left side of his body. Anyone remember the name of that piece or internvgiew...or have any information on that?

Because I heard that, I read all info on 7 8 and 9 (and even read the thrawn trilogy), thinking he was going to take a break after episode III and then start working on Episode 7.

Also, I found, using google, a reference that sounds slightly similar to what was stated in that recording:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Wars_sequel_trilogy#cite_note-12

"If the first trilogy is social and political and talks about how society evolves, Star Wars is more about personal growth and self realization, and the third deals with moral and philosophical problems. The sequel is about Jedi Knighthood, justice, confrontation, and passing on what you have learned."

But that's not quite what I remember being stated, but it's similar.

queeq
Sounds very very boring. I hope he doesn't go there.

darthmaul1
Originally posted by dadudemon
I remember watching in one of the specials on TPM, the narrator said something about possibly doing episodes 7, 8, and 9. This was said as GL was sitting in his home, at his desk, where he told the interviewer/camera about the process he did to write TPM. He was facing towards the left side of the screen (left, for the viewer) while looking at the camera for the left side of his body. Anyone remember the name of that piece or internvgiew...or have any information on that?

Because I heard that, I read all info on 7 8 and 9 (and even read the thrawn trilogy), thinking he was going to take a break after episode III and then start working on Episode 7.

Also, I found, using google, a reference that sounds slightly similar to what was stated in that recording:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Wars_sequel_trilogy#cite_note-12

"If the first trilogy is social and political and talks about how society evolves, Star Wars is more about personal growth and self realization, and the third deals with moral and philosophical problems. The sequel is about Jedi Knighthood, justice, confrontation, and passing on what you have learned."

But that's not quite what I remember being stated, but it's similar.

I think you are referring to. All I need is an idea in the special features of TPM.

queeq
An idea?

roughrider
He speculated at one time there would be a trilogy that would follow the OT - as he chose to do the OT first because it was the 'middle' story - but now he sees it all as the rise, fall, and redemption of Anakin/Darth Vader, so it wouldn't make sense. It has a beginning and an end as it stands.
The LOTR crew is doing their own prequel series now with The Hobbit, but like the OT they know it's not interesting after Sauron is finally destroyed (just like the Emperor.) So no going further after ROTK.

queeq
And they work from Tolkien's source material. In case of SW, Lucas IS the source material. And he's been playing with making more episodes since the mid-70s. So that's nothing new really.

JediRobin23
Star wars is over. Need to get over it

queeq
There's a blu ray coming....

darthmaul1
Originally posted by queeq
There's a blu ray coming....

Yahhhhh!!!! I hope they do a good transfer.

queeq
I hope they don't screw around with it too much.

roughrider
Originally posted by queeq
And they work from Tolkien's source material. In case of SW, Lucas IS the source material. And he's been playing with making more episodes since the mid-70s. So that's nothing new really.

Thing is, since it's accepted by Lucas that the expanded universe post-Jedi is canon, where to go with a story. Even further in years than the books have gone? Because he wouldn't adapt someone else's source material.

darthmaul1
Originally posted by roughrider
Thing is, since it's accepted by Lucas that the expanded universe post-Jedi is canon, where to go with a story. Even further in years than the books have gone? Because he wouldn't adapt someone else's source material.

He could always toss it out if he was wanting to do anything after Jedi.

queeq
He could. But I hope won't.

InfernoJG95
How would they do it the actors are old now

queeq
THen the characters would be old.

coolmovies
I was wondring how much would it cost Lucus to remaster the orignal trilogy and not the SE ?

I am talking about the 77-83 prints not the SE

roughrider
We will start seeing the 3D version of all the films in theatres next year - that's the current idea.

queeq
Originally posted by coolmovies
I was wondring how much would it cost Lucus to remaster the orignal trilogy and not the SE ?

I am talking about the 77-83 prints not the SE

It's not so much the costs I think... He doesn't want to release it because since the PT or even the SE, they don't match his vision or something...

JediRobin23
The original prints are all faded out

queeq
Read the article and you'll see that's just about impossible.

elfirrepins
Well I heard he was gonna make another 3 episodes, but we would have to wait 20 years. That was 2 years ago. I'm not sure if I wanna wait that long lol.

queeq
That was a rumour that Lucasfilm already denied.

Sadako of Girth
Originally posted by InfernoJG95
How would they do it the actors are old now

Have you seen Tron: Evolution...? Or Terminator: Salvation..? wink

queeq
laughing out loud

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.