Dark Souls(Demon Souls 2)

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Phanteros
Wb2cvS3cWEk

due 2011

Kazenji
Yay and its coming to the 360.

TheGoldenSpy
I hop they fixed that world tendacy system as it was a mess and I could never figure out how to change it. And farming for rare stones was lame. They need to make those things much less rare.

Also they need to have a main character with a freaking personality because not being able to wear gender exclusive items was lame.

The levels should have more checkpoint. Not fun having to start over because of one little mistake.

Boss fights in the original were great. The final boss in valley of defilement was weird and lame though. Would also like mid level minibosses.

I would love to see more projectile weapons.

Oh and wearing armor took too much strength. Don't remember how it worked but it was silly and didnt make sense. Couldn't even roll even if you could carry the weight. Hope they fixed that.

Phanteros
eqaysjKcw-g

NemeBro
Originally posted by TheGoldenSpy
I hop they fixed that world tendacy system as it was a mess and I could never figure out how to change it. And farming for rare stones was lame. They need to make those things much less rare.

Also they need to have a main character with a freaking personality because not being able to wear gender exclusive items was lame.

The levels should have more checkpoint. Not fun having to start over because of one little mistake.

Boss fights in the original were great. The final boss in valley of defilement was weird and lame though. Would also like mid level minibosses.

I would love to see more projectile weapons.

Oh and wearing armor took too much strength. Don't remember how it worked but it was silly and didnt make sense. Couldn't even roll even if you could carry the weight. Hope they fixed that. The World Tendency System is pretty simple, really. Dying in body form moves it towards black, beating bosses towards white. There are of course other things, but I am too lazy to mention them. Mining for stones is not so hard.

There are gender exclusive items though, unless that was your complaint? You worded your complaint oddly.

Nah man. Demon's Souls was about punishing mistakes, taking that out would be a step backwards.

The final boss fight with Maiden Astraea was strictly speaking not really a "boss" fight, though. To be honest, the same can be said about many of the final level bosses. The exceptions being the Old Monk, who was still pretty easy, and Old King Allant, who was easily the hardest boss in the game.

Projectile weapons would be cool.

Well it did make sense though. You are not able to just pick up the Dragon Bone Smasher and use it in one hand without investing many points in strength, not even counting the points that had to be invested into Endurance to allow you to carry it. The game was meant to be hard.

And yeah, love the trailer showing the many ways you could die lol, will obviously be picking this up. <3 Demon's Souls.

AsbestosFlaygon
Demon's Souls was great.
Best RPG game in '09, IMHO. Deserved more awards.
Too bad didn't gain much media coverage since it was a PS3 exclusive.

Looking forward to this. Hopefully, it wins more awards, now that's it multi-platform.

Phanteros
GuG4FZNnuBA

NemeBro
Sexy.

ares834
Damn this game...

big grin

It's so addicting and just as difficult as Demon Souls.

AsbestosFlaygon
I'm a bit disappointed that it's not as difficult as Demon Souls.

RE: Blaxican
Yeah same here. Demon Souls was easy as shit though, as well.

Burning thought
There was only a couple of situations, perhaps 1 boss that bothered me throughout the game. Although I did enjoy it, enough to play it through a few times but its got old now, part of the game is not knowing what to expect and how you get around a challenge which you cant really get if your too powerful for the opponents and know it all.

Stoic
I think this game is brutal and far more difficult than Demons Souls. How the heck do you kill the Red Dragon that has a grip on that damned tower? I think I've spent a gazillion souls on arrows, and its health doesn't seem to go down once it loses it's tail. All in all I'm going to take my time with this game, and with my busy schedule, that means that I won't be finished until this time next year lol.

Burning thought
You dont have to kill it but the way I did it in my first playthrough was with magic, souls arrows and such. Youve got to keep it from leaving the bridge or it may heal. I used a few Great heavy soul arrows or something and it died. I usually bring it down with an arrow shot, then when it lands on the bridge, it either starts walking towards you or breathing fire, if it rears its head back to breathe fire then jump back down the hatch to avoid it, if it walks towards you, select your magic or use your arrows to knocks it health down.

If it gets back to the tower on low health it will heal.

Stoic
Originally posted by Burning thought
You dont have to kill it but the way I did it in my first playthrough was with magic, souls arrows and such. Youve got to keep it from leaving the bridge or it may heal. I used a few Great heavy soul arrows or something and it died. I usually bring it down with an arrow shot, then when it lands on the bridge, it either starts walking towards you or breathing fire, if it rears its head back to breathe fire then jump back down the hatch to avoid it, if it walks towards you, select your magic or use your arrows to knocks it health down.

If it gets back to the tower on low health it will heal.

Thanks.

Burning thought
I have left it pretty much alone in my follow playthroughs because I think its damn tough, either that or I got lazy because it doesnt give much in the way of souls compared to the Forest ghosts.

Badabing
I just got the game last week. It's difficult and addictive.

FinalAnswer
http://www.newgamenetwork.com/news/4765/dark-souls-dlc-pc-edition-details/

New Dark Souls content this winter.

Astner
So what builds are you playing?

My first build was a Pyromancy build with Sorcery. Needless to say mixing magic isn't the best idea, now Pyromancy is an exception to some degree but it will still be a waste of attunement slots. If you intend to up Pyromancy, have a Dexterity- or Strength- based build.

Either way I'm enjoying my current main build:

Cleric, Soul Level 120

Vitality: 35*
Attunement: 14
Endurance: 40
Strength: 14
Dexterity: 16
Resistance: 11
Intelligence: 8
Faith: 64*

*: Optimized for efficiency.

Right hand: Washing Pole + 15, Pyromancer's Flame
Left hand: Grass Crest Shield, Darkmoon Talisman

Spells: Darkmoon Blade, Power Within, Wrath of the Gods

Rings: Ring of Favor and Protection, Dark Wood Grain Ring

Armor: Mask of the Child, Sage's Robe + 5, Traveler's Gloves + 10, Traveler's Boots + 10

Strengths: Anyone with poor -- or merely "decent" -- magic resistance.

Weakness: Quick runners, groups, and chain-stabbers (can't parry).

I don't mind if you decide to run away from me. But if you do, by god, don't stop running. Because the battle is over as soon as I backstab you.

I'm thinking of making a Dexterity- Chaos build of the Darkwraith covenant built to take on larger groups, because that's the main problem with my current build.

CosmicComet
Dark Souls is not Demon's Souls 2, btw.

They are a completely seperate universe.

Astner
Originally posted by CosmicComet

The thread was made in early 2011, information was scarce, hence the assumptions I'd presume.

Either way. What builds are you using, and do you plan on making any alternate builds?

I'm considering a Chaos-Dex, so the starting class will be Pyromancer. But I'm unsure of what weapons I should use, any suggestions? Keep in mind this build is intended for multiple enemy combat.

Astner
So I've been thinking a bit around the build, and it's turning more and more into a pure Chaos build. What do you guys think?

Pyromancer, Soul Level 120

Vitality: 80
Attunement: 23
Strength: 16
Dexterity: 14
Resistance: 12
Intelligence: 10
Faith: 8

Right hand: Chaos Gargoyle's Halberd + 5, Ascended Pyromancy Flame + 5
Left hand: Silver Knight's Shield + 5, Lightning Avelyn + 5

Rings: Ring of Favor and Protection, Dark Wood Grain Ring

Gear: Mask of the Mother, Silver Knight set

23 attunement for Acidic Surge, Toxic Surge, as well as Chaos Storm, and Great Chaos Fireball.

The surges are meant to divide people, the Chaos Storm in case I get surrounded, and the Great Chaos Fireball to harass, and so is Avelyn.

And the Gargoyle's Halberd is an excellent far-reaching weapon.

FinalAnswer

There is a plausible theory that suggests otherwise.

Astner
Originally posted by FinalAnswer
There are plenty of theories out there, but due to copyright issues the two games's canon won't be connected, and it should be left at that.

I always saw Demon's Souls as sort of a beta version of what the series would come to be. It doesn't include poise for one, making most of the armors useless.

But I really do enjoy the game, and the community. There are a number of people that showcase PvP builds on youtube as well. If you play the game, I'd suggest checking it out.

nE1H6gH-rwM

CosmicComet
Originally posted by FinalAnswer

They are not. Sorry.

Sony owns the IP.

Therefore any theories are flat.

We'll see an actual Demon's Souls 2 eventually though.

Astner
I'm not as interested in a sequel to Demon's Souls as I am to Dark Souls. I just enjoyed the setting as well as the mechanics more. Though I would most likely buy it.

If there is a sequel to Dark Souls then I'd like it to take place in Thorlund, Carim, or Vinheim, with a new set of covenants since the passing of the age of the gods. Preferably with Lloyd and Velka active in the story-line.

FinalAnswer
They are not. Sorry.

Sony owns the IP.

Therefore any theories are flat.

We'll see an actual Demon's Souls 2 eventually though.

The theory I saw was a very good one stick out tongue

And the passing of the Age of Fire/the Gods only happens under specific circumstances, namely, you don't link the fire

And you kill Gwyndolin for being a scheming bastard

That said, the PvP in this game is more or less a love/hate relationship, since at least 75% of the people I fight are people clad in +5 Giant Armor Set, wielding a great sword/axe of some sort, and spam Wrath of the Gods/Tranquil Walk of Peace.

Astner
To be fair, no one is going to use a build or tactics that aren't efficient. Play as you want and let others play as they want.

But if you really want to avoid those builds then battle in the Undead Perish.

FinalAnswer
My level's too high to battle anywhere but the forest or the kiln sad

Astner
Then make a new character.

Astner
I remade my main build.

Vitality: 27
Attunement: 14
Dexterity: 40
Faith: 50

The reaming stats are kept at default for a Cleric.

I really wanted Vitality at 30, since 29 - 30 gives the largest increase in health. But I'm restricting myself to level 120, and I really want three attunement slots. Dexterity is for Ricard's Rapier +15, and Faith for Darkmoon Blade.

Right hand: Ricard's Rapier +15, Pyromancer's Flame
Left hand: Magic Grass Crest Shield +10, Darkmoon Talisman

Sage's robe set maxed-out, Mask of the Child, Dark Woodgrain Ring, and Ring of the Sun's Firstborn.

Darkmoon Blade, Power Within, and Wrath of the Gods.

Jmanghan
**** that goddamn Taurus Demon.

I didn't expect to do a TON of damage. But the Asylum demon was easy enough for me, so I figured the Taurus Demon would be just as easy.

cdtm
The Zewi's a god send on those early encounters. Stagger locked the bastard off the bridge. smile

Jmanghan
Figured out a hidden easy mode to beat him.

Just keep climbing up the ladder and doing a plunge attack.

Make sure your weapon has decent durability though.

On a sidenote, does anyone know where to find Repair Powder?

Killed the first merchant by accident, because he looked... JUST like the enemies, took his uchigatana. I like the way it looks, and its higher attack is nice and all, but I still prefer the Broadsword cause of how you can use it.

cdtm
I believe the blacksmith has some..

Btw, are you famiar with the Drake trick? Drake sword's a pretty choice weapon for early game, until you get something better (I missed out on it, but it's better then the base Claymore..)

Jmanghan
Originally posted by cdtm
The Zewi's a god send on those early encounters. Stagger locked the bastard off the bridge. smile What's a "Zewi"?

cdtm
Zweihander. Ultra greatsword you can pick up almost immediately in the graveyard, past a giant skeleton. Really low requirements to weild.

Makes short work of those annoying black knights, and staggers even bosses early on.

Jmanghan
I believe the blacksmith has some..

Btw, are you famiar with the Drake trick? Drake sword's a pretty choice weapon for early game, until you get something better (I missed out on it, but it's better then the base Claymore..) As soon as I beat the Asylum Demon and arrived in Lordhaven, or however its spelled, I went STRAIGHT towards Undead Burg, and I've been leveling up in the Burg ever since, I just beat the Taurus Demon, and I'm at the Dragon, who kills me in EXACTLY a single hit.

Jmanghan
Zweihander. Ultra greatsword you can pick up almost immediately in the graveyard, past a giant skeleton. Really low requirements to weild.

Makes short work of those annoying black knights, and staggers even bosses early on. You can stagger bosses? Holy ****.

cdtm
Yeah, it's kind of funny seeing a boss as big as the Tauris demon get knocked down. Just doesn't look right.

But later bosses become resistant to it.

Jmanghan
Yeah, it's kind of funny seeing a boss as big as the Tauris demon get knocked down. Just doesn't look right.

But later bosses become resistant to it. LOL I can't wield the Zweihander.

Jmanghan

But later bosses become resistant to it. Dude I'm only level 19, and my strength skill is 14.

I'm a Knight.

Each Class affects your stats, and your level.

Jmanghan
Bell Gargoyles are impossible to beat unless you have ranged weapons.

However, after accidentally ATTACKING Andre, he was hostile to me, he followed me out into the Prowling Demon's lair, and got killed by the Prowling Demon, another accidental death.

So far, I've killed the Undead Male Merchant, and Andre of Astora (because of my actions).

I can't beat the Bell Gargoyles, and I can't beat the Moonlight Butterfly.

I JUST BARELYYYYY beat the Prowling Demon.

Every time I get a high amount of souls, it raises my ego and forces me to leave the safety of the closest bonfire.

"Just a few hundred more, and I'll have 10,000 souls."

But then, I unexpectedly run into the Capra Demon, who quickly kills me, leaving me lamenting again.

Needless to say, I am pissed. Utterly... unamused, and angry.

Badabing
Originally posted by Jmanghan
Bell Gargoyles are impossible to beat unless you have ranged weapons.

However, after accidentally ATTACKING Andre, he was hostile to me, he followed me out into the Prowling Demon's lair, and got killed by the Prowling Demon, another accidental death.

So far, I've killed the Undead Male Merchant, and Andre of Astora (because of my actions).

I can't beat the Bell Gargoyles, and I can't beat the Moonlight Butterfly.

I JUST BARELYYYYY beat the Prowling Demon.

Every time I get a high amount of souls, it raises my ego and forces me to leave the safety of the closest bonfire.

"Just a few hundred more, and I'll have 10,000 souls."

But then, I unexpectedly run into the Capra Demon, who quickly kills me, leaving me lamenting again.

Needless to say, I am pissed. Utterly... unamused, and angry. Are you playing on X Box, PS3 or PC?

The Gargoyles aren't that bad once you know their moveset and upgrade your weapon. The Butterfly is easy if you summon the NPC at the bottom of the steps, behind the bush in the corner. If Andre is dead then it's best to start a new game. If you're new to ark Souls then it's very hard to progress without Andre.

cdtm
I simply beat the hell out of them with the Zwei. wink

Ultra greatswords solve everything, provided you can dodge roll (Since you'll probably need to strip off all your armor to use it properly). Lunge attack, dodge roll, rinse/repeat.

Yeah, the game only counts weight for equipped items, in case you find yourself overburdened.

cdtm
Dude I'm only level 19, and my strength skill is 14.

I'm a Knight.

Each Class affects your stats, and your level.

I forget the stats required, but you can double your strength simply by using two handed style. And some weapons are designed to be used with two hands, like the ultra greatswords.

Jmanghan
Originally posted by Badabing
Are you playing on X Box, PS3 or PC?

The Gargoyles aren't that bad once you know their moveset and upgrade your weapon. The Butterfly is easy if you summon the NPC at the bottom of the steps, behind the bush in the corner. If Andre is dead then it's best to start a new game. If you're new to ark Souls then it's very hard to progress without Andre. Well, I beat the Capra Demon, and the Gargoyles, so far.

I figure I just gotta make it to the next bonfire in the depths.

(Hope to god there is one)

I just have to get to the next blacksmith in the game, and repair my stuff.

One Big Mob
Well, I beat the Capra Demon, and the Gargoyles, so far.

I figure I just gotta make it to the next bonfire in the depths.

(Hope to god there is one)

I just have to get to the next blacksmith in the game, and repair my stuff. There's a blacksmith right by Firelink Shrine. Other than that... it sounds like you're going to have a rough time getting to the other two more important ones. And you killed the most important blacksmith in the game as well who's a stepping stone to the others (he also sells a good shortcut as well)

Though you should be fine to beat the game but you definitely don't want to do that on your next playthrough. If you hit an npc next time go to that church guy right after the gargoyle fight

Jmanghan
Originally posted by One Big Mob
There's a blacksmith right by Firelink Shrine. Other than that... it sounds like you're going to have a rough time getting to the other two more important ones. And you killed the most important blacksmith in the game as well who's a stepping stone to the others (he also sells a good shortcut as well)

Though you should be fine to beat the game but you definitely don't want to do that on your next playthrough. If you hit an npc next time go to that church guy right after the gargoyle fight I heard about that, but I didn't kill Andre, he ran after me once I entered the Prowling Demon's lair, and the Prowling Demon killed him.

Who's the blacksmith right near Firelink Shrine, and can he repair equipment? If not, then he's kinda useless to me, as all I need is my Drake Sword repaired.

I knew about Oswald, but by the time that I finally got to him, Andre had been killed by the Prowling Demon.

Dark Souls is a VERY dangerous game to play near NPC's on a PS3.

Jmanghan
The Gaping Dragon is making me it's *****.

I do 0 damage to this little ****er.

Jmanghan
Blighttown.

Can handle the lag.

Everything else... is a nope, a HUGE nope.

Made it to the poison lake, put the Shadow Gear on.

For the life of me, can't stop myself getting poisoned. Only get 5 Estus Flasks, and they don't help me do anything. The gigantic ****ing ******* who literally WASN'T THERE my first time going down stops me in my tracks, I could handle it if it was JUST him, but with him is one of the undead goblin dudes.

My dodge rolls have never ever helped me dodge anything, because I'm better at just guarding everything. But my Stamina gets down almost to 0 from two hits of this guy, leaving my open to attack, and I can't really dodge roll effectively.

Plus, I got the Goblin dude up my ****ing ass.

Then I finally get down to the poison lake, with those ANNOYING red flying bugs, and the other annoying greenish-brown flying bugs.

The slugs though... If it was just a poison lake, big deal. I'll just run to the next bonfire (which I was told, was RIGHT after the poison lake). But, I can't even find a bonfire. I always end up in a dead end, surrounded by angry slugs that wanna kill me, and I can barely outrun them, not even including the other stuff that chases after me.

The big dude with the club, or the GODDAMN RED BUGS, or the Poison Lake, or the Slugs. Take your pick, they all bring me down to 0 Estus Flasks, and I have no humanity, or moss to get rid of my poison.

There is no... NOOOOO way I'm leaving Blighttown again to farm stuff that I may or may not get. Or farm souls to buy stuff.

If I sound whiny, its because, well, I am.

I knew this game was infamous for being tough, but every challenge its thrown in front of me, I've overcome, sometimes with relative ease.

Blighttown is ****ed. Everything about it is ****ed. The poison lake is ****ed, the gap between the bonfire and the NEXT bonfire is ****ed.

This game has ****ed me, and made me straight up rage quit, literally quit the game. I screamed as loud as I could at this game, so loud I hurt my voice.

I've treated this game with love and care, but I don't think I'll be finishing it if I have to finish Blighttown. (Not even including the fact that there's probably some big boss fight at the second bell).

cdtm
Try stripping off the gear (Shield optional), and seeing if that helps your dodging.

Nephthys
as all I need is my Drake Sword repaired.

The Drake Sword is a trap weapon, you should stop using it. It becomes a crutch and sharply drops in damage because it doesn't get any better with scaling.

Jmanghan
Originally posted by Nephthys
The Drake Sword is a trap weapon, you should stop using it. It becomes a crutch and sharply drops in damage because it doesn't get any better with scaling.

Well, I haven't found a better weapon yet, except for the Black Knight Sword.

Which is only like, 20 points better then the Drake Sword, and I don't have the stat requirements to wield it.

Jmanghan
Try stripping off the gear (Shield optional), and seeing if that helps your dodging.

It doesn't.

I assumed after I picked the Knight class, I was ****ed.

Which is exactly what happened.

I only grinded early on, I'm only like, level 36 now.

Nephthys
Well you should be upgrading weapons and your stats as you go. An Uchigatana+5 would do similar damage with 20 Dex and it just keeps getting better. At the point you're at you should be using those kinds of things. But since you got Andre killed you're kind of ****ed for most of the game.

You should aim for the stats for the Black Knight Sword because it's one of the best weapons in the game. It may be only 20 points better but it also gets stat boosts. So its closer to 50 better. And its easier to level up.

Jmanghan
Well you should be upgrading weapons and your stats as you go. An Uchigatana+5 would do similar damage with 20 Dex and it just keeps getting better. At the point you're at you should be using those kinds of things. But since you got Andre killed you're kind of ****ed for most of the game.

You should aim for the stats for the Black Knight Sword because it's one of the best weapons in the game. It may be only 20 points better but it also gets stat boosts. So its closer to 50 better. And its easier to level up.

****ing PS3 triggers, man.

They will make you very cautious around any NPC's.

Nephthys
Also if you want to repair stuff just buy the repairbox from the merchant in Undead Burg. Exit the bonfire room, go down the stairs to the right then on to the roof to the side with the spear guys. Smash the boxes and go down stairs. You'll find him on the balcony.

And don't be too worried about starting again. It takes way less time when you know what you're doing.

Jmanghan
Also if you want to repair stuff just buy the repairbox from the merchant in Undead Burg. Exit the bonfire room, go down the stairs to the right then on to the roof to the side with the spear guys. Smash the boxes and go down stairs. You'll find him on the balcony.

And don't be too worried about starting again. It takes way less time when you know what you're doing. ...Yeah.

About that.

Poor Undead Merchant, mistaken for an enemy before I knew about Oswald.

sad

Jmanghan
I found him before my one hour mark.

However, to me, he looked no different then any enemy.

Then he started speaking, so I automatically assumed he was like, a mini-bos or something. NOPE, he was a merchant.

I never even got the chance to buy a single thing from him, considering... y'know death, and stuff.

Nephthys
You should probably just start again.

If you're really stuck at the bottom of Blighttown just keep running right when you exist the bonfire room and heal through the poison. Also look out for the pyromancy trainer.

cdtm
Well, I haven't found a better weapon yet, except for the Black Knight Sword.

Which is only like, 20 points better then the Drake Sword, and I don't have the stat requirements to wield it.

Drakes swords non upgradable anyways.

Yeah, you might need to grind a bit.. I'd recommend the Claymore over the bks, which is just past the Drake on the bridge. Best sword in the game, imo, in terms of damage/stat requirements/upgradability ratio.

Jmanghan

Yeah, you might need to grind a bit.. I'd recommend the Claymore over the bks, which is just past the Drake on the bridge. Best sword in the game, imo, in terms of damage/stat requirements/upgradability ratio. Wut.

I have the Claymore, dude. The thing isn't half as powerful as BKS.

I'm not that far off from the BKS anyway.

Besides, I'm getting free from DS till I get my patience back, I'll stick with Dragon's Dogma for now.

Jmanghan

Yeah, you might need to grind a bit.. I'd recommend the Claymore over the bks, which is just past the Drake on the bridge. Best sword in the game, imo, in terms of damage/stat requirements/upgradability ratio. Highest damage output is apparently the Greatsword of Artorias.

One Big Mob
Highest damage output is apparently the Greatsword of Artorias. It's a complete trick. The highest iirc is the lightning Zwei.

The Greatsword splits its damage over too many defenses and it's just not as viable as it seems on paper.

You're best to just find a weapon you like and stick with it. Any weapon is capable of doing it. Hell I beat the game at sl1 with the starting mace one handed because I murdered the guy who sold the better one and I wasn't confident in 2 handing back then (used a shield until das2 sl1 run).

Though the Drake Sword is going to ruin your life once you get to Sen's so you should probably get a better weapon set up.

Nephthys
Wut.

I have the Claymore, dude. The thing isn't half as powerful as BKS.

I'm not that far off from the BKS anyway.

Besides, I'm getting free from DS till I get my patience back, I'll stick with Dragon's Dogma for now.

The difference is that you can upgrade the Claymore to +15, you can imbue it and it has better stat scaling.

A Lightning Claymore +5 does about 500 damage.

BKS is cool anyway though. I used it.

cdtm
Originally posted by One Big Mob
It's a complete trick. The highest iirc is the lightning Zwei.

The Greatsword splits its damage over too many defenses and it's just not as viable as it seems on paper.

You're best to just find a weapon you like and stick with it. Any weapon is capable of doing it. Hell I beat the game at sl1 with the starting mace one handed because I murdered the guy who sold the better one and I wasn't confident in 2 handing back then (used a shield until das2 sl1 run).

Though the Drake Sword is going to ruin your life once you get to Sen's so you should probably get a better weapon set up.

They nerfed elementals, though. Lightning Zwei's still fine though.

Yeah, almost anything gets the job done in PVE. Best this/that is fun min/maxing stuff, but won't cripple you if you pick something less good.

Jmanghan
Been doing some research.

Every single person that you befriend turns Hollow?

Arachnid1
This became backwards compatible. I'm finally able to play the first Dark Souls game.

Rough start so far. I go into one area and get slaughtered by enemies way above my level. I say screw it and go to a different area where I'm murdered by a bunch of invincible ghosts. I say screw that area and go to a new area where I get overwhelmed by unkillable skeletons. Its possible I'm just not going to the right areas, but I don't stand a chance anywhere I go. It takes me 30 hits to kill an enemy, but it takes them one or two to kill me.

Its alright though. I'll figure it out. One thing I'll give this game though, is that it looks better than I thought it would. I had no idea DS1 came out in 2011. Thats still relatively recent. I figured it was a 2005 game or something.

Astner
You can upgrade the Drake Sword with Dragon Scales. It's just that the scales are rare and that the weapon falls short in the long run due to the lack of scaling.

Been doing some research.

Every single person that you befriend turns Hollow?
No. There are a few that don't, and the ones that do only do so if you complete their quest line.

NemeBro
Originally posted by Arachnid1
This became backwards compatible. I'm finally able to play the first Dark Souls game.

Rough start so far. I go into one area and get slaughtered by enemies way above my level. I say screw it and go to a different area where I'm murdered by a bunch of invincible ghosts. I say screw that area and go to a new area where I get overwhelmed by unkillable skeletons. Its possible I'm just not going to the right areas, but I don't stand a chance anywhere I go. It takes me 30 hits to kill an enemy, but it takes them one or two to kill me.

Its alright though. I'll figure it out. One thing I'll give this game though, is that it looks better than I thought it would. I had no idea DS1 came out in 2011. Thats still relatively recent. I figured it was a 2005 game or something. Invincible ghosts? I honestly can't remember anyplace like that in Dark Souls.

Arachnid1
Originally posted by NemeBro
Invincible ghosts? I honestly can't remember anyplace like that in Dark Souls. These little bastards below. They take no damage from my weapons

http://darksouls.wdfiles.com/local--files/enemies/ghost-male-large.jpg

Thankfully I found where I was supposed to go though. I just beat the gargoyles and they gave me a sweet Halbert which works similar to the Mastadon Halbert I rocked in Dark Souls 2. I may have found my weapon for the full playthrough already.

Astner
You kill hurt them by either being cursed, using a Transient Curse (temporary buff), or using a cursed weapon.

The Transient Curse is the most reliable.

Arachnid1
Originally posted by Astner
You kill hurt them by either being cursed, using a Transient Curse (temporary buff), or using a cursed weapon.

The Transient Curse is the most reliable. I accidentally became cursed and used it as an opportunity to run through there. Wasn't too terrible. I even found a dude to undo my curse, which was great.

So far I'm done with Blighttown, rang the second bell, and went through the fire cave after. It was hell fighting Taurus Demon after Taurus Demon. I think there were 10 of them in all throughout the area.

Speaking of hell, Blighttown was the worst Soulsborne experience I've had to date (ok, maybe that's cursed chalices, but this was the worst for the main game). Constant poisoning, and dickhead enemies galore. When I finally finished there and went back to Firelink, I felt like I could breathe again. Thank god thats done.

Also, some dickhead killed the mute girl who upgrades my estus flasks. sad

EDIT: z_h-NvMJK-c&feature=youtu.be

Lmao pretty accurate

Arachnid1
I just beat Ornstein and Smough on my second try. I feel pretty proud of myself considering how many people seem to have tons of trouble with them. They weren't too bad.

I'm going to kick it into gear to beat this game before my copy of Dark Souls 3 comes in Thursday. Does that sound realistic to you guys considering where I'm at?

Arachnid1
"If only I could be so grossly incandescent..."

God damn it Solaire. sad

Arachnid1
YWEk9TzLa50

This is getting a full remaster in the Dark Souls 3 engine. Fking hyped.

I wonder if they're actually remaking all the mechanics. Omnidirectional rolling may make the game a bit too easy.

Astner
Originally posted by Arachnid1
This is getting a full remaster in the Dark Souls 3 engine. Fking hyped.

I wonder if they're actually remaking all the mechanics. Omnidirectional rolling may make the game a bit too easy.
From where are you getting that it's a remaster in the new engine? Dark Souls III ran at 30 FPS on the PS4, this remaster is supposedly running at 60 FPS.

We're likely getting a similar remaster to that of Dark Souls II; higher resolution and frame-rate, some updated textures and effects, and hopefully a fix of the unfinished areas at the end of the game.

Nephthys
Scholar of the First Sin was already a pretty damn good remake for II tbh.

I'm hopeful there will be improvements to Dark Souls I n the remaster but I'm not gonna bet on it. I suspect the combat may not compare well to DS III these days. I remember it being pretty easy to get through by just hiding behind a shield and strafing.

Astner

Arachnid1
Originally posted by Astner
From where are you getting that it's a remaster in the new engine? Dark Souls III ran at 30 FPS on the PS4, this remaster is supposedly running at 60 FPS.

We're likely getting a similar remaster to that of Dark Souls II; higher resolution and frame-rate, some updated textures and effects, and hopefully a fix of the unfinished areas at the end of the game. Yeah, sorry about that. There were tons of articles that day saying it would be remastered in the new engine and include gameplay changes as a result. Vaati also put out similar info though he retracted it citing bad sources. Bandai Namco recently confirmed that it wouldn't use any new assets from DS3 though no word on whether it uses the same engine or not.

Astner
Well, all the Souls games have used the Havok engine, so technically it will be the same, but it wouldn't have changed.

But the price-point says it all. This is not going to be a brand new game, it's going to be a touched-up version of the game that released in 2011.

cdtm
What, 20 dollars?

That's all profit for re masters.

Adam Grimes
40 bucks is still too much

Arachnid1
Originally posted by Adam Grimes
40 bucks is still too much It's a bit steep but as a late DS1 player (played it right before 3 and after 2 and Bloodborne), I'd like to experience the game at day 1 with fresh PvP and active covenants. I always hear about how DS1 and 2 were the golden years of DS PvP so experiencing that at the beginning along with all the new players figuring things out sounds too good to pass up.

Plus, DS1 is a masterpiece of a game. If I could buy a fully remastered RE4 with RE7 graphics, or an SH2 with PT graphics, I would buy it no matter the price. This is what a remaster should be. Not the RE game ports or the stuff every other company puts out. Plus, I hear Scholar of the First Sin was a huge improvement over base DS2, so these guys seem to do remasters right.

cdtm
40 bucks is still too much *Whistles* Now that's just being greedy.

Kazenji
Probably be $40 where i live.

Astner
40 bucks is still too much
https://i.imgur.com/MeI1fco.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/Gv3Toqk.jpg

Adam Grimes
Still not as wealthy as Omega Vision. thumb down

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.