Darkness 2

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Kazenji
Top Cow And 2K Announce "Darkness II" Game

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=30723

RE: Blaxican
Ah hell yeah. The first game was awesome.

Smasandian
Too bad it's not done by the same developers. I enjoyed Riddick and The Darkness a lot.

General_Iroh
Sick, I've been hoping that they'd try to do a sequel, other than some glitches the first one was great.

Impediment
Despite a few glitches and horrible load times, the Darkness was an awesome game. The level of emotion, to me, was at a never before seen level in modern video games. I actually got misty eyed at the final goodbye scene. I can't wait for a sequel, especially if Mike Patton reprises his role as the Darkness.

Kazenji
Milk Patton has been confirmed to reprise his role.

Impediment
"Milk" Patton?

Ha.

Kazenji
Oh boo hoo i spelt his name

you know what i'm on about.......jeez.

Kazenji
New Screenshots

http://www.bloody-disgusting.com/news/videogames/1308

Estacado
Preview and new pics....
http://www.gamesradar.com/ps3/the-darkness-ii/preview/the-darkness-ii-first-look-preview/a-20110303194044514052/g-20110208101316489030

Kazenji
I actually don't mind the look of the cel shade graphics that they're going for in this sequel, Unlike some of them folks over at Bloody-Disgusting in the comments.

Bladewind
I don't mind the cel shading either but it's justified to say that it doesn't quite fit the atmosphere.

Kazenji
Box art and trailer

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=32167

i like the box art

Phanteros
huDaCOIpdZM&NR=1

Nemesis X
I don't like how Mike Patton is voicing the Darkness in the sequel. Perhaps he should go back to voicing the character the same way he did in the first game.

Impediment
Holy f*ck, I want this game to be here.

Mike's voice sounds stellar.

Nemesis X
Originally posted by Impediment
Holy f*ck, I want this game to be here.

Same here.

Nah. Mike's voice sounded stellar in the first Darkness game but something about it in the sequel doesn't feel right imo.

Impediment
Well, to be fair, we only saw a 90 second trailer.

I'm not trying to come off as elitist, but as a very big Mike Patton fan I know what a broad dynamic vocal range he has from listening to Mr. Bungle and Faith No More songs. I mean, if you have, too, then I would expect you to agree with me.

I feel that he could only improve upon his previous performance.

Nemesis X
So far, there are two demos for this but they're only played by the likes of critics. How typical of game companies to make a limited experince exclusive to the media. Why the demos aren't put on Xbox Live is beyond me. I would like to know how the gameplay feels before my fandom takes control and buys this. I'm not saying the game is questionable (I had a blast with the first one and videogame sequels (most of them anyways) do improve things the predecessor had but kind of lacked), I just think a demo should be released to the public so we can have our say in the matter and not pay attention to the critics who were possibly paid to give it a little too much praise. Forgive me X-Play.

Nemesis X
Well, to be fair, we only saw a 90 second trailer.

I'm not trying to come off as elitist, but as a very big Mike Patton fan I know what a broad dynamic vocal range he has from listening to Mr. Bungle and Faith No More songs. I mean, if you have, too, then I would expect you to agree with me.

I feel that he could only improve upon his previous performance.

Still heard the voice in the 90 sec. trailer though.

Care to deliver me a link to this so we can see if I can alter my opinion?

From what was heard, I don't think it was an improvement (again, imo).

Kazenji
Bunch of trailers

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/news/news-9798-The-Darkness-II-Trailer-Blowout-Covers-Powers-and-The-Brotherhood.html

Nemesis X
faint

Phanteros
uaxNWvlMzK4

Jesus mother****ing Christ.... This makes God of War look like Barney.

Cyner
I loved the first game, can't wait for this one.

jaaaackie...

Nemesis X
This is gonna be the best licensed videogame of all time right next to Arkham City.

Kazenji
Originally posted by Phanteros
uaxNWvlMzK4

Jesus mother****ing Christ.... This makes God of War look like Barney.

Some good executions right there

i hope the friggan game does'nt get refused here in Australia.

Nemesis X
Originally posted by Kazenji
i hope the friggan game does'nt get refused here in Australia.

It probably will.

Phanteros
Some good executions right there

i hope the friggan game does'nt get refused here in Australia. Judging from the Assuction. It probably will.

Smasandian
It was smart of them to release this winter.

No way this game gets any play if it was release this fall.

Kazenji
Originally posted by Phanteros
Judging from the Assuction. It probably will.

If it does i'll import it

**** it if i get a fine sick of putting up with the nonsense.

Kazenji
Looks like the game got through here in Australia

MA 15+Strong horror violence, blood and gore and coarse language

........shows up how weird our ratings system is. Refuse Mortal Kombat & Left 4 Dead 2 but edit that last one and re-release it

anyway heres the achivement list for it

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/game/the-darkness-2/achievements/

Estacado
4 player co-op is official.....

Nemesis X
Originally posted by Estacado
4 player co-op is official.....

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/12/06/the-darkness-2-gets-4-player-co-op-mode-in-vendettas-we-count/

Doesn't look that bad.

Kazenji
Hope this sequel ends up being good been a couple sequels of recent that have missed the mark.

jalek moye
hopefully the co op is fun

Estacado
Instant buy for me....skill tree and new game plus..
http://www.embracethedarkness.com/us/features/feature11.html

Estacado
Demo will be out next tuesday.

Kazenji
Lets hope the people who played the demo "Game critics" have been telling the truth.

Nemesis X
Lets hope the people who played the demo "Game critics" have been telling the truth.

I second the motion.

Kazenji
5iavwL3FXBQ

Smasandian
I'm hoping that not SP but some sort of MP option.

I hate it when a game gives you points for doing things if it doesn't warrant it.

In Bulletstorm, it made sense. In this game, it looks tacky.

Estacado
Originally posted by Smasandian
I'm hoping that not SP but some sort of MP option.

I hate it when a game gives you points for doing things if it doesn't warrant it.

In Bulletstorm, it made sense. In this game, it looks tacky.
The points are for the upgrade system.

Smasandian
Yeah, I figure as much but I don't like how they show up after you do something.

Totally takes me away from the game. It's not immersive at all. In a game like Borderlands, it works but a game based on storytelling, it looks dumb.

Estacado
Yeah, I figure as much but I don't like how they show up after you do something.

Totally takes me away from the game. It's not immersive at all. In a game like Borderlands, it works but a game based on storytelling, it looks dumb.
Agreed.I hope you can turn it off.

Smasandian
I hope so too.

The first game is great. If I remember correctly, there wasn't even a HUD (I know Starbreeze games don't usually have one).

Estacado
I hope so too.

The first game is great. If I remember correctly, there wasn't even a HUD (I know Starbreeze games don't usually have one).
Only for the ammo IIRC.
This will be great as well I think Darkness is one of my favorite comics and I really like it that they made it more gory...also adding new game plus was a good idea..

Smasandian
I've been burned by game sequels that were developed by a different firm before so I'm going to wait.

I'll probably rent it and then a year from now, buy it off Steam when it goes 85% off. (If I liked it that is)

Estacado
I've been burned by game sequels that were developed by a different firm before so I'm going to wait.

I'll probably rent it and then a year from now, buy it off Steam when it goes 85% off. (If I liked it that is)
Ill probably play it at my friend's house first cause he buys all the new games which come out if it's good Ill get it or just borrow it from him.
Anyways the demo comes out tomorrow so we shall see if its any good.

Phanteros
Shhhh!!! don't let the game companies hear that. They hate words like "used", "rent" and borrowed".

Estacado
Demo is up.

socool8520
I'm excited for this game. Enjoyed the first one. I'm not familiar with the comic so I couldn't fault it for consistency or anything.

Nemesis X
So I played the demo and uh...wow. The gameplay felt so hardcore the moment I got my Darkness powers. In the first Darkness game, I mostly had that 'meh' feeling everytime I used my powers (gameplay-wise of course. The cutscenes were badass) because they felt so limited and relying on my Darklings was kind of a bad move considering how poor their AI was but now in the sequel, things felt like they've been improvedx10. I am so looking forward to when this game comes out.

Is it just me or is it kind of funny how the mobsters don't freak out the moment they see Jackie (their boss) flinging Brotherhood members around like ragdolls with demonic tendrils?

Smasandian
The game is pretty damn cool.

I was pleasantly surprised and I'm glad they allowed you to turn off the essence counter.

I think it's cool they went with a more cartoony look but I think I rather have the more realistic look.

Kazenji

I think it's cool they went with a more cartoony look but I think I rather have the more realistic look.

Well the reason they went with the cartoony look is because its based on a comic..... kind of a stupid reason really.

Smasandian
Yeah, they seem to do a pretty good job at creating the look. I have no problem with it. It's refreshing to see a developer try something completely different for a sequel.

I just prefer the more realistic look that first game had. I think it creates a more believable environment when the game goes out of it's way to create a immersive atmosphere and story.

I still think the game looks pretty damn cool. I think they nailed the gunplay. It feels totally solid and badass.

Estacado
The only thing I didn't like about the 1 st game is when you went from a place to another there was no action in it I mean the streets were empty almost the whole time.
It seems they solved the problem.
Also as Nemesis said some of the powers were pretty useless.

socool8520
Originally posted by Estacado
The only thing I didn't like about the 1 st game is when you went from a place to another there was no action in it I mean the streets were empty almost the whole time.
It seems they solved the problem.
Also as Nemesis said some of the powers were pretty useless.

Yeah, I pretty much just used the tendrils. Also, after awhile in the game, aren't there a bunch of guys hanging out in the streets?

Estacado
Nah most of the time the streets were empty...

Kazenji
Yeah people only were only on the streets if you had a mission that you started for that area.

socool8520
Oh...It's been awhile since I played the game.

Nemesis X
Did any of you guys pre-order the game at Gamestop? If you did, you should look at your receipt just to be safe because when I looked at mine, Darksiders 2 was on there.

Kazenji
Nope, I did my one at EB.

Estacado
Bad ass!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UgRRJmC2MM

Estacado
If you guys cant wait here is the first hour....
http://www.gameinfect.com/?p=2192

Estacado
First review. 9.0

http://www.oxmonline.com/darkness-ii-review

Kazenji
6 hours for the main campain.....sounds like they played it easy to me.

Estacado
6 hours for the main campain.....sounds like they played it easy to me.
2 other reviews said 6 hours as well.

Kazenji
Sounds like the easy campaign to me.

Smasandian
It's not surprising the game is short like that.

I recently played the Darkness. I forgot how annoying that game is. It's not the smoothest experience in the world.

I'm glad they got rid of the hub structure. That part seriously ruined the feel of it.

Kazenji
I'll be playing the game friday since thats when it gets released for PAL, Unless it breaks street date.

Estacado
Well just finished the campaign under 5 hours powers are great story is pretty good I really liked the ending.(The story has nothing to do with the comics though.)
Gonna replay it to get all the relics and play some vendetta later on.If you have a chance to rent it dont buy it cause its really short.

Kazenji
I tried out the vendetta mode yesterday its quite good for a co-op side story and the connection seemed to be good for the oz gamers

unlike with Treyarch who don't seem to give a shit with their games.

Smasandian
Thinking of just waiting for eventual price drop on Steam version.

Estacado
One thing I liked is that you can get the Darkness armor as an upgrade.

Kazenji
Are the reviews for the PC version any better or about the same?

Smasandian
Roughly.

Estacado
Well under 15 hours I finished the main campaign 3 times completed the vendetas hit list and the campaign and got a 1000 gs.I might replay it once more then I think Ill sell it.

Kazenji
I'll most likely end up keeping the game even if it may be short.

Impediment
The game is solid as a rock, so far. I only wish that Kirk Acevedo was Jackie's voice actor instead of this new guy.

Impediment
I've also noticed that the dialogue of the Darkness (Mike Patton) is noticeably shorter than the first game.

jinXed by JaNx
This game is easily some of the most fun ive had in a while

Nemesis X
I got all the achievements! woot

Now here's to hoping there'll be DLC expansions in the future.

Kazenji
I'm currrently stuck on the guy in the graveyard bastard keep beating me.

Estacado
I really wish the levels would be longer and maybe they could have added a few more powers like creating larger monsters or using the darkness inside on enemies.

Impediment
The ending kinda pissed me off, but at least it's a great cliffhanger for a third Darkness game.

Hands down, the gameplay and overall graphics are superior to the first Darkness game, but the emotional level is not as great as the first game. In Darkness 1, when Jenny was murdered and the ending scene where Jackie and Jenny say goodbye I actually cried I was so overwhelmed at how sincere it was. The second game is great, though. I was breezing through the levels and performing executions left and right. I didn't even have to use a lot of firearms because I so enjoyed using the demon whip arm and grabbing thugs for executions.

I'm quite pleased with my purchase, and I can't wait to start New Game Plus to go look for relics and 100% level up. Am I the only one who laughed when Johnny told the relic stories in the pause menu?

Estacado
The ending kinda pissed me off, but at least it's a great cliffhanger for a third Darkness game.

Hands down, the gameplay and overall graphics are superior to the first Darkness game, but the emotional level is not as great as the first game. In Darkness 1, when Jenny was murdered and the ending scene where Jackie and Jenny say goodbye I actually cried I was so overwhelmed at how sincere it was. The second game is great, though. I was breezing through the levels and performing executions left and right. I didn't even have to use a lot of firearms because I so enjoyed using the demon whip arm and grabbing thugs for executions.

I'm quite pleased with my purchase, and I can't wait to start New Game Plus to go look for relics and 100% level up. Am I the only one who laughed when Johnny told the relic stories in the pause menu?
Yeah Johnny is funny but Jimmy from Vendettas is a killer at humor.In on of the Vendettas mission Johnny asks the guys what special weapon are they carrying all of them explains the story of their weapon except for Jimmy he says "Its non of your ****in buisness you tosser".He keeps coursing through out the whole game...:P

Kazenji
Finally killed Braggs it was just his dash attack that was getting me

i'm taking my time to finish the game and not rushing it.

Smasandian
Great game.

Far the best of the series. Everything has been improved from Gun fighting, The Darkness powers, enemy types and missions. I also enjoy the linear aspect of the game. I recently replayed the first and it drove me insane with all the hopping back and forth between stations/areas. It ruined the pace of the story.

I think the emotional impact from the first game is still superior but this game is not bad as well.

It's short but I think anything longer would of made the game get a bit boring.

Overall, great game. Had a ton of fun playing it.

Kazenji

I think the emotional impact from the first game is still superior but this game is not bad as well.

I quite like how they killed your Darkling pal....sad to see him go.

Smasandian
Yeah, that was probably the saddest I felt for a game character in a long time.

But the section where you sit on a couch watching To Kill A Mockingbird was somewhat crazy back then. You didn't really see that much and it worked.

Overall, great game. Very visceral and I liked most of the changes. Great weapons too.

Nemesis X
I quite like how they killed your Darkling pal....sad to see him go.

Don't you think maybe you should've added some spoiler tags?

edit - but yes, it was sad. I'm gonna miss the little imp unless he somehow comes back in Darkness 3.

Kazenji
Originally posted by Nemesis X
Don't you think maybe you should've added some spoiler tags?

Well it does'nt seem to be a great deal of people talking about the game only about 5.

Nemesis X
sdReea2IXUI

Kazenji
Not much to do at Jackie's mansion?.........i guess he did'nt find Dolfo outside.

Smasandian
Dolfo was a very small mini-game.

I think adding a few more mini-games in the mansion would of made the game more involved. Maybe pool, or poker or something like that.

Kazenji
SILVESTRI WANTS MORE "THE DARKNESS" GAMES

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=37331

Impediment
It would be stupid to NOT make another Darkness game since the ending of the second game was a pretty damn big cliffhanger.

Kazenji
What other Top Cow comics would be good for a game besides The Darkness.

Impediment
Witchblade, definitely!

Nemesis X
Witchblade, definitely!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.