"Goldilocks zone" argument shattered.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Bicnarok

Deja~vu
I love intelligence! When will my people come back!!

Bicnarok
Originally posted by Deja~vu
I love intelligence! When will my people come back!!

when niburu arrives?

Deja~vu
I wonder if that will really happen like they say. Hmm, I sure picked an interesting time period to live in. lol

Bicnarok

Deja~vu
That would have been cooler, but for some reason you didn't. LOL

Robtard

RE: Blaxican
Can someone summarize it for me? I have no speakers.

ares834
Never heard of the "Goldilock Zone argument" before. But common sense would dictate that there are billions of planets out there suitable for life.

Okay, I watched the video with sound.

How does this shatter anything?

inimalist
Originally posted by RE: Blaxican
Okay, I watched the video with sound.

How does this shatter anything?

it doesn't

if you think Earth was put in the habitable zone by god, the presence of other planets in that zone is probably not a challanging fact, also given the fact that the pope has decreed that aliens would pose no theoretical challange to christianity.

If your faith requires you to believe in the absolute uniqueness of human life and the planet earth, this is no more challanging than the work of Coprenicus

Deja~vu
Actually I know people who would totally fall apart since their belief is that Earth is the only planet put here by Jesus and that is why he died, just for this planet. These people won't watch any science channels or read real science books since they believe them to be false. This is why many of them home-school their children so as to shield them from all the lies put out by the liberals.

This was the way I was raised. lol

alltoomany

menokokoro
This is kinda funny, because that doesn't shatter anything about my religion. I believe that there are numerous (obviously, it kinda said it in that video.) amounts of planets with other living, intelligent, beings on them.

I also believe that we are selfish if we believe that God created ALL the universe, just for us. I mean think about it, he created EVERYTHING (even if you don't believe this, humor me,) and like it shows in that video, there is an unfathomable amount of....stuff, out there. So why would he only create such a small amount of children to inhabit it all? It only makes sense that all that he created was for many MANY people.

alltoomany
Originally posted by menokokoro
This is kinda funny, because that doesn't shatter anything about my religion. I believe that there are numerous (obviously, it kinda said it in that video.) amounts of planets with other living, intelligent, beings on them.

I also believe that we are selfish if we believe that God created ALL the universe, just for us. I mean think about it, he created EVERYTHING (even if you don't believe this, humor me,) and like it shows in that video, there is an unfathomable amount of....stuff, out there. So why would he only create such a small amount of children to inhabit it all? It only makes sense that all that he created was for many MANY people.

He lol.. what a joke

menokokoro
Originally posted by alltoomany
He lol.. what a joke What is a joke?

alltoomany
God is heshe

menokokoro
God is heshe I don't believe that. I believe he has a wife even. But that is besides the point.

inimalist
energy is life, no?

no

yep

menokokoro
Such articulate debating! What could he possibly say in retort? Perhaps another no?

Admiral Akbar

Since we are speaking hypothetically, what if we meet an alien life form more intelligent than us that doesn't belief in this god we place our faith in? How do you convince an alien being far smarter than you that you are right and they are wrong?

God also supposedly made us in his image, so does that mean the universe is populated with humans?

Admiral Akbar
Such articulate debating! What could he possibly say in retort? Perhaps another no?

Perhaps if you could prove your claim and then he would have a more lengthy response.

menokokoro
Originally posted by Admiral Akbar
Since we are speaking hypothetically, what if we meet an alien life form more intelligent than us that doesn't belief in this god we place our faith in? How do you convince an alien being far smarter than you that you are right and they are wrong?

God also supposedly made us in his image, so does that mean the universe is populated with humans? First question, yes I would think they are wrong. Also, I find it incredibly hard to believe that an entire race would collectively not believe in a higher power. What does intelligence have to do with it anyway? All this "proof" scientists have against the existence of God, does not change anything. People seem to think that anyone who believes inn God, believes that everything he ever did was completely miraculous and nothing could be explained at all. Did it ever occur to you that maybe God would use science to accomplish his goals?

Second question. Why not? Thinking in a purely scientific sense, it would seem improbable (HUGE understatement I know), but if I believe that God created everything, why wouldn't he be able to get that to work? Also, I he may have just chosen our planet to be created in his image. Though, us being the only ones that were created in his image seems...unlikely. But we don't know his plan, so no use really trying to figure out what it is.

Perhaps if you could prove your claim and then he would have a more lengthy response. I wasn't even talking about anything said against me, I was talking about the two posts prior to mine. Where one said "Energy is life no?" then someone else said "No." then someone else said "Yep". Don't make assumptions.

Zeal Ex Nihilo

inimalist
Originally posted by Zeal Ex Nihilo
DUDE

THERE ARE OTHER PLANETS THAT MIGHT POSSIBLY BE HABITABLE FOR LIFE

THIS DISPROVES GOD TOTALLY

ummm, there are other planets, that means there are UFOs and aliens, no might possibly about it

menokokoro
Originally posted by Zeal Ex Nihilo
DUDE

THERE ARE OTHER PLANETS THAT MIGHT POSSIBLY BE HABITABLE FOR LIFE

THIS DISPROVES GOD TOTALLY Why does that disprove God totally? God can create all the universe and life on one planet, but no life on any other planets he created?

Deja~vu
The Bible never mentions that. If an alien presented it's self or ships appeared to communicate with us, it make the Bible out to be a lie.

Besides that, what if they shared extraordinary powers with us and what if they told us many things about how the energies really worked.

menokokoro
The Bible never mentions that. If an alien presented it's self or ships appeared to communicate with us, it make the Bible out to be a lie.

Besides that, what if they shared extraordinary powers with us and what if they told us many things about how the energies really worked. so....because the bible (an extremely edited and revised book) doesn't talk about it, it makes it a lie?

oh, so now proof is a what if? Also, I don't care what information someone might have, no science could disprove or prove God's existence.

red g jacks
I don't believe that. I believe he has a wife even. But that is besides the point. my version of god has 72 wives and all of them are bisexuals

menokokoro
Originally posted by red g jacks
my version of god has 72 wives and all of them are bisexuals ...Good for you?

inimalist
Originally posted by red g jacks
my version of god has 72 wives and all of them are bisexuals

man, how do I sign up?

Deja~vu
so....because the bible (an extremely edited and revised book) doesn't talk about it, it makes it a lie?

oh, so now proof is a what if? Also, I don't care what information someone might have, no science could disprove or prove God's existence. Wouldn't you think that this would be important for us to know or did god have a brain fart?

Ohh ohh that's right, those must be angel sitings. lol Or according to other church teachings, they are demons and as we all know, they need ships. lol

menokokoro
Wouldn't you think that this would be important for us to know or did god have a brain fart?

Ohh ohh that's right, those must be angel sitings. lol Or according to other church teachings, they are demons and as we all know, they need ships. lol Why would we need to know that?...yeah, there is no elaboration, just simply, why would God think it is important that we know that? (also, my church doesn't believe that we are the only ones, so yeah...)

red g jacks
Originally posted by inimalist
man, how do I sign up? you just do nothing. my god prefers non believers because they aren't always asking him for shit.

Deja~vu
Why would we need to know that?...yeah, there is no elaboration, just simply, why would God think it is important that we know that? (also, my church doesn't believe that we are the only ones, so yeah...) I'm glad your church is more open, Catholic?? Anyway, it would obliterate many peoples faith believing Jesus died for man on earth. So then....did he die for aliens ? Did they have an Adam and Eve and a snake too??

There are many churches that teach and produced videos that state the UFO's are demons and with that it's all tied in to the "Great Delusion" and the appearance of the Antichrist. And other such conspiracy theories.

Do you see a problem here?

menokokoro
I'm glad your church is more open, Catholic?? Anyway, it would obliterate many peoples faith believing Jesus died for man on earth. So then....did he die for aliens ? Did they have an Adam and Eve and a snake too??

There are many churches that teach and produced videos that state the UFO's are demons and with that it's all tied in to the "Great Delusion" and the appearance of the Antichrist. And other such conspiracy theories.

Do you see a problem here? Yeah, I certainly do. What I was taught, is that yes, Jesus' sacrifice was for all. And our world is the only that had enough evil, to kill their savior.

But...I try not to think about all that, it makes my head hurt, thinking about the vastness of the universe, then that leads me to how God came into being, and how long this process has been going (forever) and....owe! Ok, I'm done for the night.

Edit: Oh yeah, to answer your question, I'm LDS/Mormon.

Admiral Akbar
First question, yes I would think they are wrong. Also, I find it incredibly hard to believe that an entire race would collectively not believe in a higher power. What does intelligence have to do with it anyway? All this "proof" scientists have against the existence of God, does not change anything. People seem to think that anyone who believes inn God, believes that everything he ever did was completely miraculous and nothing could be explained at all. Did it ever occur to you that maybe God would use science to accomplish his goals?

Second question. Why not? Thinking in a purely scientific sense, it would seem improbable (HUGE understatement I know), but if I believe that God created everything, why wouldn't he be able to get that to work? Also, I he may have just chosen our planet to be created in his image. Though, us being the only ones that were created in his image seems...unlikely. But we don't know his plan, so no use really trying to figure out what it is.

I wasn't even talking about anything said against me, I was talking about the two posts prior to mine. Where one said "Energy is life no?" then someone else said "No." then someone else said "Yep". Don't make assumptions.

You may find it hard to believe, but the fact is religion and superstitious beliefs are a byproduct of our ancestors cognitive processes in modeling the world. They perceived things in a very umm..primitive way. That is they believed events we can explain these days by science as god's wrath, or god's blessing. i.e. rain, storms, sunlights, ect...the fact that so many people still believe and have believed for many years is because evidently this process of thought in our early ancestors proved beneficial/necessary for our species survival.

An alien species might have evolved completely different than our species..go figure.

Intelligence has a lot to do with it. Like I mentioned naturally people seek explanations for that which they do not know or understand. Religion was an early failed attempt at science and logic. We have a better system now.

I never said scientists had any proof against or for the existence of god. In fact I don't think any scientists claim either of those. No good scientists at least smile

What exactly is scientific about turning water into wine?

So an omnipotent being shows favoritism towards a small rocky planet in a relatively unspectacular part of our galaxy? Like a father with a favorite child..lol

menokokoro
You may find it hard to believe, but the fact is religion and superstitious beliefs are a byproduct of our ancestors cognitive processes in modeling the world. They perceived things in a very umm..primitive way. That is they believed events we can explain these days by science as god's wrath, or god's blessing. i.e. rain, storms, sunlights, ect...the fact that so many people still believe and have believed for many years is because evidently this process of thought in our early ancestors proved beneficial/necessary for our species survival.

An alien species might have evolved completely different than our species..go figure.

Intelligence has a lot to do with it. Like I mentioned naturally people seek explanations for that which they do not know or understand. Religion was an early failed attempt at science and logic. We have a better system now.

I never said scientists had any proof against or for the existence of god. In fact I don't think any scientists claim either of those. No good scientists at least smile

What exactly is scientific about turning water into wine?

So an omnipotent being shows favoritism towards a small rocky planet in a relatively unspectacular part of our galaxy? Like a father with a favorite child..lol Your ignorance is too much for me to argue with right now, I may come back later to elaborate...

Deja~vu
Yeah, I certainly do. What I was taught, is that yes, Jesus' sacrifice was for all. And our world is the only that had enough evil, to kill their savior.

But...I try not to think about all that, it makes my head hurt, thinking about the vastness of the universe, then that leads me to how God came into being, and how long this process has been going (forever) and....owe! Ok, I'm done for the night.

Edit: Oh yeah, to answer your question, I'm LDS/Mormon.

It's so strange to think that with all the billions of galaxies with solar systems that might contain life, that only our planet is the evil one that needed saving. I wonder what all the other inhabitants of other planets would think if they understood that that little planet earth was penalized forever in a place called hell.

If we're the only sinful planet amongst the millions or billions of others, did they have no need for a savior? Was a different Bible written for them?? Then you have to ask yourself where exactly is Hell anyway to hold such an abundant amount of entities.

inimalist
I may come back later to elaborate...

/holds breath

Admiral Akbar
Your ignorance is too much for me to argue with right now, I may come back later to elaborate...

Clever retort. Such articulate debating.

Deja~vu
Well, everyone has bad days once in awhile. lol

Bardock42
Originally posted by ares834
Never heard of the "Goldilock Zone argument" before. But common sense would dictate that there are billions of planets out there suitable for life. Not really...common sense makes no statements about suitable planets for life....

menokokoro
It's so strange to think that with all the billions of galaxies with solar systems that might contain life, that only our planet is the evil one that needed saving. I wonder what all the other inhabitants of other planets would think if they understood that that little planet earth was penalized forever in a place called hell.

If we're the only sinful planet amongst the millions or billions of others, did they have no need for a savior? Was a different Bible written for them?? Then you have to ask yourself where exactly is Hell anyway to hold such an abundant amount of entities. Sorry, I wasn't clear enough. I don't mean that we are the only planet with sin, just the most, and the most horrible sin. That is why Jesus was here, so that God's plan could continue. None of his children are perfect, they all have sinned, and need the atonement, but we are the only planet that would be willing to destroy their savior.

That doesn't mean that we don't have great people either. I forget where it says it, but in a scripture it says "where there is great evil, there is great good." or something to that effect.

Quiero Mota
/holds breath

^And is now dead due to hypoxia.

Mindship
Sorry, I wasn't clear enough. I don't mean that we are the only planet with sin, just the most, and the most horrible sin. That is why Jesus was here, so that God's plan could continue. None of his children are perfect, they all have sinned, and need the atonement, but we are the only planet that would be willing to destroy their savior.
This is...quite a statement.

menokokoro
Originally posted by Mindship
This is...quite a statement. Yeah...though I did a little more research, and the one who taught me that we were the only planet with enough evil to destroy our savior...was going on a limb when he said that. The scripture he was using for this just said that the people in that part of the world were the only ones evil enough, not the people on this world were the only in all existence evil enough.

inimalist
Yeah...though I did a little more research, and the one who taught me that we were the only planet with enough evil to destroy our savior...was going on a limb when he said that. The scripture he was using for this just said that the people in that part of the world were the only ones evil enough, not the people on this world were the only in all existence evil enough.

so like a theological version of "the noble savage"?

Mindship
Yeah...though I did a little more research, and the one who taught me that we were the only planet with enough evil to destroy our savior...was going on a limb when he said that. Kudos to you for spotting the limb.

Deja~vu
It's always good to get to the bottom of things.

menokokoro
so like a theological version of "the noble savage"? I'm not familiar with that.
Originally posted by Mindship
Kudos to you for spotting the limb. Thank you, though I wasn't being completely honest lol, I was talking to a friend about it, and he showed me the scripture. I still thought it sounded a little odd. People teaching religious classes tend to come up with their own gospel.

red g jacks
Sorry, I wasn't clear enough. I don't mean that we are the only planet with sin, just the most, and the most horrible sin. That is why Jesus was here, so that God's plan could continue. None of his children are perfect, they all have sinned, and need the atonement, but we are the only planet that would be willing to destroy their savior.
do you guys believe in original sin?

i don't know what mormons believe... most christians tell me that jesus was necessary to save our souls because humanity is cursed by adam's sin

Deja~vu
People teaching religious classes tend to come up with their own gospel. That's very true. Many interject their own views in the teachings no matter what denomination.

Sometimes people can come up with some real doozies. I've heard a LOT. lol

menokokoro

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.