Predictions, Surfer vs. Thor

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

quanchi112
Since it's looming in the air and more than likely will be upon us soon let's hear what we want to see happen and what we think is going to happen.

Sr J-Bieb
Thor is going to one punch him because it's Thor's own book.

Or it will be cut off.

D_Dude1210
It's prolly gonna be a short "fight" that gets interrupted by something before it resolves.

JakeTheBank
What I think will happen: I think Surfer vs. Thor as we expect it to happen probably won't or if it does, it will be inconclusive. A hammer shot here, a cosmic blast there. I think Odin/Galactus will be where the action will be.

What I want to happen: So long as it's a good fight between the top two dogs in Marvel, I'll be happy. While I consider himself more of a Thor fan than Surfer, I do acknowledge that Surfer could beat him one-on-one just as much as vice versa.

D_Dude1210
Yeah, best not get our hopes up on getting anything decisive here.

quanchi112
I am pulling for surfer in this one but I think it will be either inconclusive or thor will win. I mean his movie is almost upon I highly doubt they'd have him lose right now. But I am holding out here because I was caught off guard completely and how easily he beat the snot out of Bill in his own book.

psycho gundam
Originally posted by D_Dude1210
Yeah, best not get our hopes up on getting anything decisive here. this

fandoms will be trolled regardless

JakeTheBank
I'm unsure if Fraction has ever handled Surfer/Galactus before.

I'm more psyched on Coipel back on the art.

Colossus-Big C
thor

Colossus-Big C
odin would most likely get help to fend off big G

quanchi112
Originally posted by Colossus-Big C
odin would most likely get help to fend off big G That's the only way this should be handled. Galactus should bring the pain to asgard. I want the asgardians just in a state of panic.

dmills
I'd be shocked if we get a real fight. What's the last real fight that we've seen is what, blackbolt vs Vulcan?

Sr J-Bieb
Originally posted by Colossus-Big C
odin would most likely get help to fend off big G Odin will probably take a dump on Galactus while Odin is at half power.

quanchi112
Originally posted by dmills
I'd be shocked if we get a real fight. What's the last real fight that we've seen is what, blackbolt vs Vulcan? WW Hulk vs. Sentry was a pretty good fight where they went all in. It was uninterrupted to boot. Most fights in general in comics are too brief for the comic vs. enthusiast.

Colossus-Big C
hulk vs skaar

JakeTheBank
The sad thing?

Considering the fanbase for both Thor and Surfer and the general consensus that they're the two most powerful heroes in the Marvel U, this should be getting more hype and build up then the grueling build up to Thor vs. Sentry.

gogogadgetgo
logically, seeing as surfer has had some power ups while thor got depowred and lost the odinforce, surfer should theoretically now be above thor since classic thor was about equal to surfer back in the day. and now we have classic thor vs a post annihilation surfer.

Colossus-Big C
when does the comic come out, any previews?
does this happen after the silver surfer mini?

JakeTheBank
There's a preview on CBR, I think.

quanchi112
Originally posted by JakeTheBank
The sad thing?

Considering the fanbase for both Thor and Surfer and the general consensus that they're the two most powerful heroes in the Marvel U, this should be getting more hype and build up then the grueling build up to Thor vs. Sentry. They are definitely more popular with storied histories than the Sentry but he was clearly more powerful than either.

JakeTheBank
Originally posted by quanchi112
They are definitely more popular with storied histories than the Sentry but he was clearly more powerful than either.

Yeah, but you would think that Marvel would attempt to capitalize on the fact that a Thor/Surfer fight would logically create more buzz and fan interest over Thor/Sentry, considering that Sentry is an extremely disliked character as a whole, regardless of his being more powerful.

quanchi112
Yeah, but you would think that Marvel would attempt to capitalize on the fact that a Thor/Surfer fight would logically create more buzz and fan interest over Thor/Sentry, considering that Sentry is an extremely disliked character as a whole, regardless of his being more powerful. I honestly don't see why either company doesn't really market these rivalries better than they do. The buzz they could create with a no hold barred Black Adam/Superman fight or a Surfer/Thor fight is just plain stupid.

So many well liked characters yet these fights simply just don't happen and usually when they do way are to short without a winner.

zopzop
Given that Thor is Marvel's golden boy (like Superman is to DC) and the fact that there's a major motion picture named "Thor" hitting theaters soon, I foresee a very bad ending for the Surfer should they engage in a fight.

JakeTheBank
I honestly don't see why either company doesn't really market these rivalries better than they do. The buzz they could create with a no hold barred Black Adam/Superman fight or a Surfer/Thor fight is just plain stupid.

So many well liked characters yet these fights simply just don't happen and usually when they do way are to short without a winner.

Yeah, the problem with that is that DC has issues letting Superman lose to someone outside of a big bad boss type character. Captain Marvel/Superman fights use to sell quite a bit, but DC ran that rivalry into the ground to the point where they believe that CM is only relevant when paired with or against Superman. And if they did have Superman cleanly lose to Marvel or Black Adam instead of a stalemate or him outright beating him, the fan backlash would be incredible. DC's own message board is full of people clammoring that Superman be brought back to Pre-Crisis power levels and people like CM be held down less they "damage" Supes image.

Marvel's a bit more flexible in their hierarchy, perhaps too flexible, though. I doubt we'll see a happy medium anytime soon between the two companies.

dmills
WW Hulk vs. Sentry was a pretty good fight where they went all in. It was uninterrupted to boot. Most fights in general in comics are too brief for the comic vs. enthusiast. Good one. The little mini Hulk/juggz fight was great as well.

The sad thing?

Considering the fanbase for both Thor and Surfer and the general consensus that they're the two most powerful heroes in the Marvel U, this should be getting more hype and build up then the grueling build up to Thor vs. Sentry.

I think writers in general are sometimes a little too fearful to stick their necks out in these scenarios for fear of fan backlash. I mean just look at what happened to Jeph Loeb. Fans will never let him live Rulk down, even with the prolonged Mea culpa that's happening with the character now. Same thing for Pak when he tried to do it in wwh. Now he's got Banner getting his ass kicked left and right.

The "Lord of the Flies" mentality of fanboys combined with the internet has allowed for figurative "public stonings" of writers that piss off fans and often times they never recover.

JakeTheBank
Originally posted by zopzop
Given that Thor is Marvel's golden boy (like Superman is to DC) and the fact that there's a major motion picture named "Thor" hitting theaters soon, I foresee a very bad ending for the Surfer should they engage in a fight.

He's Marvel's perennial top tier powerhouse, but he doesn't have anywhere close to the protective aura that Superman enjoys from DC. Wolverine and Hulk outdo Thor in that department, especially when faced against Thor himself.

quanchi112
Given that Thor is Marvel's golden boy (like Superman is to DC) and the fact that there's a major motion picture named "Thor" hitting theaters soon, I foresee a very bad ending for the Surfer should they engage in a fight. Marvel doesn't have a golden boy. Look at how he fared in siege and against hulk in the past few years. He is getting a push now though thanks to his movie and is one of marvel's greatest heroes but he shares the spotlight.

I also see Hulk as more popular by far than Thor in the mainstream.

quanchi112
Yeah, the problem with that is that DC has issues letting Superman lose to someone outside of a big bad boss type character. Captain Marvel/Superman fights use to sell quite a bit, but DC ran that rivalry into the ground to the point where they believe that CM is only relevant when paired with or against Superman. And if they did have Superman cleanly lose to Marvel or Black Adam instead of a stalemate or him outright beating him, the fan backlash would be incredible. DC's own message board is full of people clammoring that Superman be brought back to Pre-Crisis power levels and people like CM be held down less they "damage" Supes image.

Marvel's a bit more flexible in their hierarchy, perhaps too flexible, though. I doubt we'll see a happy medium anytime soon between the two companies. I do agree dc fears a backlash that they do protect him but marvel doesn't seem to fare that way. Dc has the big three which is Superman, then Batman, and finally WW.

Who is marvel's big three ? Now I know they aren't the same as dc's but if we had to go that route who would you place up there, Hulk, Wolverine, and Thor ?

Fans of each company want more power because they can't help but want their character to be badder than yours so fandom will never change in that regard.

Sr J-Bieb
I do agree dc fears a backlash that they do protect him but marvel doesn't seem to fare that way. Dc has the big three which is Superman, then Batman, and finally WW.

Who is marvel's big three ? Now I know they aren't the same as dc's but if we had to go that route who would you place up there, Hulk, Wolverine, and Thor ?

Fans of each company want more power because they can't help but want their character to be badder than yours so fandom will never change in that regard. Most popular are:
Spider-Man
Hulk
Wolverine

In universe big three:
Iron Man
Thor
Captain America

JakeTheBank
I do agree dc fears a backlash that they do protect him but marvel doesn't seem to fare that way. Dc has the big three which is Superman, then Batman, and finally WW.

Fans of each company want more power because they can't help but want their character to be badder than yours so fandom will never change in that regard.

Well, DC has the Trinity and then the "Quintet": GL and Flash, respectively. It also helps that they all serve on the same team (JLA).

Marvel has the Big Three, which, as of late, is pretty much becoming the marketing tool of Marvel: Thor, Cap, Iron Man. They're much more relevant in-universe than outside of it, though. As far as "big names", Marvel, imo, has a Big Six: Cap, Thor, Iron Man, Hulk, Wolverine, Spider-Man. Those are the biggest names in Marvel, with Cap, Thor, and Iron Man finally getting the recognition in the mainstream that they should have had for a long time.

quanchi112
Originally posted by Sr J-Bieb
Most popular are:
Spider-Man
Hulk
Wolverine

In universe big three:
Iron Man
Thor
Captain America Yeah, lol at me forgetting spiderman he's definitely the most widely known marvel character.

zeel
Marvel doesn't have a golden boy. Look at how he fared in siege and against hulk in the past few years. He is getting a push now though thanks to his movie and is one of marvel's greatest heroes but he shares the spotlight.

I also see Hulk as more popular by far than Thor in the mainstream.

I agree 100%, where as D.C. is dependant basically on 2 characters. Superman and batman, everyone els is just fodder really. In marvel all the characters share the lime light. Thor, the avengers, the fantastic four the X-men,hulk,spiderman,thanos and the list goes on. This is why marvel will be here in 30 years and D.C will not.

zeel

JakeTheBank
Originally posted by zeel
I agree 100%, where as D.C. is dependant basically on 2 characters. Superman and batman, everyone els is just fodder really. In marvel all the characters share the lime light. Thor, the avengers, the fantastic four the X-men,hulk,thanos and the list goes on. This is why marvel will be here in 30 years and D.C will not.

DC is trying too hard too late to promote their other characters outside of the World's Finest. Green Lantern is probably DC's hottest commodity as of now, though. But being honest, if DC's popularity can compete with Marvel as a whole with just two characters, they aren't dying in 30 years.

The terrible thing is this, though: If Green Lantern bombs in the box office or doesn't draw as much as they want and if the live action WW series tanks, all it does is cement the idea in DC's collective heads that only Superman and Batman matter and to hell with everything else.

Zack Fair
DC's own message board is full of people clammoring that Superman be brought back to Pre-Crisis power levels and people like CM be held down less they "damage" Supes image.

That is really really sad.

JakeTheBank
Originally posted by Zack Fair
That is really really sad.

One good thing is that you do have writers occasionally stepping in to speak like Gail Simone or Busiek at times, but yeah, it can get really bad. It was why I left Marvel's discussion boards and came here to the first place; people arguing Hulk could beat Classic Ion and other great threads and just rampant and willful ignorance. Not all the fans are like that, of course, but the ones that are really detract from the boards as a whole.

CosmicComet

If there was a marvel golden Boy, Parker would be it most likely.

zopzop
Originally posted by CosmicComet
If there was a marvel golden Boy, Peter Parker would be it most likely.

Nah. Thor's Marvel's Superman, Parker is their Batman. Their "Wonder Woman" is Tony. That's Marvel's big three.

JakeTheBank
Wouldn't their Batman be Captain America, then?

quanchi112
Nah. Thor's Marvel's Superman, Parker is their Batman. Their "Wonder Woman" is Tony. That's Marvel's big three. Now I do agree Thor is their number one gun for most heroic/powerful hero. I think the other two are pushing it and fall outside comparison to dc's top three.

zopzop
Wouldn't their Batman be Captain America, then?

No. I'm talking in terms of popularity and sales.

Look at all the Spider-man and Thor comics and spinoffs. Iron Man doesn't have the number of spinoffs the other two do but his movies were pretty successful.

If the Thor movie does well, get ready for MAJOR Thor pimping from Marvel.

CosmicComet
Nah. Thor's Marvel's Superman, Parker is their Batman. Their "Wonder Woman" is Tony. That's Marvel's big three.

Not really.

I'm not talking about where they would fit with their powersets, I'm talking rankings based on how representative they are of their companies.

Marvel is Spiderman, through and through. That's their biggest draw.

DC is Batman or Superman depending on whatever happens to be going on that year.

JakeTheBank
I'd have to look at the recent trend of Diamond Distribution top 100.

Hell, in DC, Green Lantern has blown Superman out of the damn water in terms of sales and has been for years.

zopzop
Not really.

I'm not talking about where they would fit with their powersets, I'm talking rankings based on how much representative they are of their companies.

DC is Batman or Superman depending on whatever happens to be going on that year.

Yeah but Marvel has been building up for this Thor movie for a while. With the failure of the Hulk films. Thor is Marvel's golden boy heavy hitter.

quanchi112

Hell, in DC, Green Lantern has blown Superman out of the damn water in terms of sales and has been for years. It's pretty damn interesting though and I can see why it has. I really don't think of green lanterns as cool but the stories are interesting and very cool villains.

CosmicComet
Hal Jordan may push Wonder Woman out to form a new 'big three', but a GL will probably never be as synonymous with DC as Bruce or Clark are.

JakeTheBank
It's pretty damn interesting though and I can see why it has. I really don't think of green lanterns as cool but the stories are interesting and very cool villains.

Oh, I agree. I think DC was really surprised to see how huge GL has gotten over the past few years. Now, Johns is starting to burn himself out on GL, but the character/mythos has enjoyed a non-stop surge in popularity (and well deserved, imo) from Rebirth to Brightest Day.

CosmicComet
Yeah but Marvel has been building up for this Thor movie for a while. With the failure of the Hulk films. Thor is Marvel's golden boy heavy hitter.

Well, I do agree that Thor's stock with editorial is probably going to get a big boost if he is a box office success.

But with the way Marvel tends to work, I doubt Thor will ever become their 'Superman'.

quanchi112
Oh, I agree. I think DC was really surprised to see how huge GL has gotten over the past few years. Now, Johns is starting to burn himself out on GL, but the character/mythos has enjoyed a non-stop surge in popularity (and well deserved, imo) from Rebirth to Brightest Day. I also think even the most die hard superman fans would agree focusing on other characters also makes superman better. Too much of him I am sure irritates his fans as he's in a lot of crap as would be any character with that many tie ins or monthly's.

Less to me is always better.

JakeTheBank
Hal Jordan may push Wonder Woman out to form a new 'big three', but a GL will probably never be as synonymous with DC as Bruce or Clark are.

Yeah, topping Supeman and Batman in terms of popularity and the household name thing won't be happening, but in terms of what's "cool", Clark hasn't been it for a while. Batman has the whole "badass" persona and dark and gritty storytelling. And Green Lantern is basically Star Wars in superheroic form. Superman gets the nod for who he is and his place in DC, but his fandom has waned considerably.

zopzop
Superman gets the nod for who he is and his place in DC, but his fandom has waned considerably.

Maybe because writing stories about a being who has to hold back all of the time lest he kill someone and yet he still easily pwns his enemies gets boring after a while.

Really who/what is a challenge to Superman? He's boring. At least Batman bleeds.

CosmicComet
None of you seem to think Surfer can become Marvel's golden boy though.

Are you all just biased towards people who aren't bald?

uhuh

quanchi112
Maybe because writing stories about a being who has to hold back all of the time lest he kill someone and yet he still easily pwns his enemies gets boring after a while.

Really who/what is a challenge to Superman? He's boring. At least Batman bleeds. Superman has challenges just like the Surfer, Thor, Hulk. All of these guys are at the top of the totem pole when it comes to heroes and all have met their match and then some. Just a matter of what you prefer. I really liked classic Thor out of all of these guys. Now not as a character overall but in terms of storylines about how he was living within a race of warrior gods going from one extreme threat to another.

Damborgson
Even with his upcoming movie I dont think Thor will be given a decisive victory. I think its going to be a short and inconclusive battle that will end with Thor having a slight advantage but Surfer being relatively fine. Then im sure Thor and Surfer will team up and go help asgard against Galactus or something. I hope we just get a good fight. I really like Oliver Coipels art and there is plenty of potential for an epic fight.

TricksterPriest
Regarding Superman: let Morrison or Moore write him again. Then you'll see glory rain down upon him. Supes is hard to write, but the right writers can make him shine.

carver9
Good thread Quan.

Its going to end in a stalemate my friend.

As for the top 3 of Marvel.

As a hero/team... if it came to Marvel gathering forces to take down a powerful villian (the big 3)it would be...

Hulk
Thor
Ironman

Popularity/book seller

Wolverine
Spiderman
Thor/Hulk

Someone that bring in the mullah when Marvel needs the cash...

THANOS

Thanos IS the money maker AND the hype of Marvel. In one month... one issue of an introductory of Thanos, he bring in more money than anyone mentioned in this thread imo.

dmills

Hell, in DC, Green Lantern has blown Superman out of the damn water in terms of sales and has been for years. DC recognized that you could do things with cosmic storylines that you can't do on mainstream Earth, ie; have real stories with real consequences. They invested in it and now its paying off for them in terms of sales. They've even managed to pull in displaced Marvel cosmic fans such as myself. Marvel had a chance with... Ah nevermind. Not getting into that again.

celeyhyga17
What I think will happen: I think Surfer vs. Thor as we expect it to happen probably won't or if it does, it will be inconclusive. A hammer shot here, a cosmic blast there. I think Odin/Galactus will be where the action will be.

What I want to happen: So long as it's a good fight between the top two dogs in Marvel, I'll be happy. While I consider himself more of a Thor fan than Surfer, I do acknowledge that Surfer could beat him one-on-one just as much as vice versa.

You could be a good politician... always playin both sides, even though you do gravitate more to one over the other....

rolling on floor laughing

guy222
thor should win

-Pr-
Originally posted by TricksterPriest
Regarding Superman: let Morrison or Moore write him again. Then you'll see glory rain down upon him. Supes is hard to write, but the right writers can make him shine.

moore is crazy, though. and not good, morrison crazy.

Hell, in DC, Green Lantern has blown Superman out of the damn water in terms of sales and has been for years.

blame two/three years of just plain shit Superman books bar the odd exception too.

JakeTheBank
Originally posted by -Pr-
blame two/three years of just plain shit Superman books bar the odd exception too.

Word, man. I really don't have high hopes for Reign of Doomsday, either.

-Pr-
Word, man. I really don't have high hopes for Reign of Doomsday, either.

Yeah. I'm giving it a fair shot, but I'm not expecting anything.

Cornell is doing okay on the Lex stuff, and the new guy, Roberson, might come good, but he's not going to make any sort of impact without him getting out from under JMS' notes/influence.

TricksterPriest
moore is crazy, though. and not good, morrison crazy.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ForTheManWhoHasEverything

I beg to differ. big grin

-Pr-

I beg to differ. big grin

You usually do.

Still, like i said, that book is almost as old as I am, and the dude is senile. I wouldn't trust him.

TricksterPriest
http://lysad.blogspot.com/2007/08/neil-gaiman-writes-alan-moore.html Neil Gaiman, on Alan Moore.

Moore's bitter maybe. But there's magic in his head. I'm not saying he isn't crazy. I'm saying he's crazy awesome. big grin

-Pr-
And I believe he WAS. Now, he's just crazy.

carver9
This is the only thing I am going to say on the subject... how can you make a terrible Superman story. From what I have seen, they have basically been high lighting his stage of being the most well known and respected dc character and they have been focusing more on the character and his history towards dc rather than just throwing a villian at him off hand.

Now they have revived Doomsday which should bring everything back up to pace. I'm not seeing anything wrong with his stories. They have high lighted his background with the rise of kryptonians which brought all of the heros closer to each other in an emotional stand point and from what I have seen, it aided in his relationship with Supergirl and actually aided in her being a star character.

The Superman stories are on point and they are selling. Its focused on his powerset, attitude, and leadership and again, he deserves this... he is by far the greatest hero that exist in comics today and "forever" imo and moore just PMed me and told me to tell you all to get off of his balls.

Uriel005
Yeah, lol at me forgetting spiderman he's definitely the most widely known marvel character. it's the catchy theme song.

JakeTheBank
Originally posted by carver9
This is the only thing I am going to say on the subject... how can you make a terrible Superman story. From what I have seen, they have basically been high lighting his stage of being the most well known and respected dc character and they have been focusing more on the character and his history towards dc rather than just throwing a villian at him off hand.

Now they have revived Doomsday which should bring everything back up to pace. I'm not seeing anything wrong with his stories. They have high lighted his background with the rise of kryptonians which brought all of the heros closer to each other in an emotional stand point and from what I have seen, it aided in his relationship with Supergirl and actually aided in her being a star character.

The Superman stories are on point and they are selling. Its focused on his powerset, attitude, and leadership and again, he deserves this... he is by far the greatest hero that exist in comics today and "forever" imo and moore just PMed me and told me to tell you all to get off of his balls.

Did you actually read War of the Supermen, Carver? It was terrible. Virtually every Superman fan here, most of whom are better read than I on the charrie, agree that it was. World of New Krypton had great potential in fleshing out Superman and the Kryptonian race as a whole and it was just shit all over by the resolution of the arc. And for what? An extremely rushed and overall crappy fight issue. "Grounded" isn't much better, though the concept is a good one.

They're bringing back Doomsday in the hopes that another drag out, beat 'em up, smashtastic fight will save the title(s). Not because it will actually be a good story.

I can't even remember the last time Superman was one of DC's top selling books. I honestly can't. He's the medium's greatest icon, sure, but as of today, he's almost a mess.

psycho gundam

I beg to differ. big grin my fave

carver9

Did you actually read War of the Supermen, Carver? It was terrible. Virtually every Superman fan here, most of whom are better read than I on the charrie, agree that it was. World of New Krypton had great potential in fleshing out Superman and the Kryptonian race as a whole and it was just shit all over by the resolution of the arc. And for what? An extremely rushed and overall crappy fight issue. "Grounded" isn't much better, though the concept is a good one.

They're bringing back Doomsday in the hopes that another drag out, beat 'em up, smashtastic fight will save the title(s). Not because it will actually be a good story.

I can't even remember the last time Superman was one of DC's top selling books. I honestly can't. He's the medium's greatest icon, sure, but as of today, he's almost a mess.

confused

The only thing that I am seeing wrong with Superman stories is "he need different villians". I am tired of seeing Doomsday and Zod. He has fought so many versions of Doomsday that its ridiculous (Kryptonite Doomsday, Doomsday rex, and now he is about to face a Doomsday that can fly...wtf).

The reason the Imperiex saga did so well was due to the fact that it was introducing a different, powerful villian that Superman had to adjust his entire life around to defeat. He had to bring his enemies closer, some of his most hated enemies to face a being that was a threat to the entire universe. That's what is missing. I honestly think they should have did more with Supes and Konvikt... that would have made an amazing story.

The stories you've mentioned, yes, I have read them and they are not the best of Supes stories BUT they weren't bad. DC in general just need to kill off Doomsday and Zod... they are out played and out dated. I liked the hero version of Doomsday (Gogs war DD). They probably should have left the character like that and just had him doing appearances where he showed up to assist Superman. Who wouldn't buy that comic? Amazing stuff.

I think you all are downplaying the stories a lil too much imo.

carver9
Also... I have a question for the genious peeps out there that are familiar with the companies (dc and marvel). I know that Disney bought Marvel but why don't they do crossovers anymore? Is that the reason? Because some of DC characters are owned by certain companies vs Marvel being bought by Disney or is there another reason that I am missing?

Fifthchild

Really who/what is a challenge to Superman? He's boring. At least Batman bleeds.

Superman has plenty of challenges and he bleeds and has to work his ass off about as much as anyone else. Don't confuse how people on battleboards portray a character with what happens in the actual comicbooks.

In terms of popularity Supermans problem is that his books have lacked direction and momentum for a long time. The last time it was going anywhere was the very, very boring New Krypton story. He just doesn't seem to be a priority for DC atm. I suppose that will change as the new movie approaches.

dmills
I Heard a rumor a while back that a Supes book may be going cosmic at least for a short time. If so, smart move by dc.

Mindship
What I think will happen: I think Surfer vs. Thor as we expect it to happen probably won't or if it does, it will be inconclusive. A hammer shot here, a cosmic blast there.

What I want to happen: So long as it's a good fight between the top two dogs in Marvel, I'll be happy. While I consider himself more of a Thor fan than Surfer, I do acknowledge that Surfer could beat him one-on-one just as much as vice versa. Sounds about right. While I would love for Surfer to finally land a decisive win, Thor has proven himself quite the beast in the past.

I got tired of comics for a while. This could pull me back in.

The Nuul
Given that Thor is Marvel's golden boy (like Superman is to DC).

Hell no, Marvel treats Thor like shit, his current books are horribly written and he jobs like shit. DC will never rape Supes like this and they treat their main characters a lot better than Marvel does. Marvel give us shit like Sentry then takes him away.

TricksterPriest
Sentry sucked to begin with. Seriously, they needed a writer with incredible skills to make him work, rather than just trying to force their version of Superman into existence. erm

Not really.

I'm not talking about where they would fit with their powersets, I'm talking rankings based on how representative they are of their companies.

DC is Batman or Superman depending on whatever happens to be going on that year. yup, their biggest deal solo hero wise is definitely spider-man. though x-men in general and wolveine in particular have become their most popular properties

Allankles
I honestly don't see why either company doesn't really market these rivalries better than they do. The buzz they could create with a no hold barred Black Adam/Superman fight or a Surfer/Thor fight is just plain stupid.

The fights would generate more buzz if the story that carries them are great, and have a great premise. What reason would Supes have to battle BA, outside of fans wanting to see them go at it for the first time?

This one should have a bit more buzz, but I think fans have seen them go at it before, which may factor into how much excitement there is or isn't.

Originally posted by Allankles
The fights would generate more buzz if the story that carries them are great, and have a great premise. What reason would Supes have to battle BA, outside of fans wanting to see them go at it for the first time?

This one should have a bit more buzz, but I think fans have seen them go at it before, which may factor into how much excitement there is or isn't. I can think of a crap load of reasons for SM to fight BA actually. it souldnt be a hard to convince readers of it at all

quanchi112

This one should have a bit more buzz, but I think fans have seen them go at it before, which may factor into how much excitement there is or isn't. Fights generate the buzz from good to bad stories just the same.

If you honestly can't think of any reason why Supes and Black Adam would be fighting I'd say your imagination is quite terrible.

Rage.Of.Olympus
If Thor doesn't kick his ass I'll be pissed.

quanchi112
Originally posted by Rage.Of.Olympus
If Thor doesn't kick his ass I'll be pissed. If Thor does get his ass kicked I will be there to kick you while your down.

-Pr-

Three words: Are You Kidding?

They brought back the Kryptonians, yes... They just executed it badly.

They brought the heroes closer together? Superman has never been more alienated from Earth's heroes than he is at this point in time.

Supergirl and Superman's relationship was made worse by New Krypton. They were actually doing fine beforhand, and then her mother was brought in to it. Supergirl's standing as a character might have risen due to NK, but it had nothing to do with the quality of the main books books. It was simple exposure (and Sterling Gates iirc).

I don't know HOW you can think that the books properly focused on him.

His powerset? The main two writers he's had in the last three years both nerfed him (McDuffie even admitted to making him weaker just so he could write team books). His powerset was nothing but harmed during New Krypton and JLA, so I really don't know where you're coming from.

His attitude/s? He's been written out of character so badly during the last two to three years that at times, even the dialogue didn't sound like him. That was how bad Robinson and McDuffie were.

Leadership? Leading who? He started off with support, sure, but he was never having the same impact Zod was. He became a pariah to his people (and then they all died), and he's not even in the Justice League anymore.

The only brief, shining light Superman has had during the last two/three years was the very start of NK (when Rucka and Johns were on it, before quickly leaving), the Origin book, and some of the current JMS stuff, and even that is sketchy at best.

So that leads me to two conclusions Carver; maybe you can tell me which one is right:

Your ideal Superman is one that is weaker, written out of character and just plain poorer compared to the standard one that I (and many others) have been reading for at least a decade now.

It's either that, or you're backhandedly trying to convince people that Superman in NK is a decent representation of Superman, so that your arguments that lowball and discredit the character will actually gain some support.

If there's an option C, please, enlighten me.

carver9
Three words: Are You Kidding?

They brought back the Kryptonians, yes... They just executed it badly.

They brought the heroes closer together? Superman has never been more alienated from Earth's heroes than he is at this point in time.

Supergirl and Superman's relationship was made worse by New Krypton. They were actually doing fine beforhand, and then her mother was brought in to it. Supergirl's standing as a character might have risen due to NK, but it had nothing to do with the quality of the main books books. It was simple exposure (and Sterling Gates iirc).

I don't know HOW you can think that the books properly focused on him.

His powerset? The main two writers he's had in the last three years both nerfed him (McDuffie even admitted to making him weaker just so he could write team books). His powerset was nothing but harmed during New Krypton and JLA, so I really don't know where you're coming from.

His attitude/s? He's been written out of character so badly during the last two to three years that at times, even the dialogue didn't sound like him. That was how bad Robinson and McDuffie were.

Leadership? Leading who? He started off with support, sure, but he was never having the same impact Zod was. He became a pariah to his people (and then they all died), and he's not even in the Justice League anymore.

The only brief, shining light Superman has had during the last two/three years was the very start of NK (when Rucka and Johns were on it, before quickly leaving), the Origin book, and some of the current JMS stuff, and even that is sketchy at best.

So that leads me to two conclusions Carver; maybe you can tell me which one is right:

Your ideal Superman is one that is weaker, written out of character and just plain poorer compared to the standard one that I (and many others) have been reading for at least a decade now.

It's either that, or you're backhandedly trying to convince people that Superman in NK is a decent representation of Superman, so that your arguments that lowball and discredit the character will actually gain some support.

If there's an option C, please, enlighten me.

Come on Pr... why bring up the low ball game. I told you all a long time ago that they were planning on depowering him but you all didn't believe me and that had nothing to do with me enjoying the stories.

You are just seeing things in a different fashion than I am. He doesn't need to be on the JLA... he is powerful enough to be a lone hero BUT they have still kept his connection to the team going.

I am enjoying the books... I do agree, they could have handled the kryptonian arc a little better than what they did but from what I seen of it, I enjoyed the story.

We just have different opinions.

JakeTheBank
I think the only decent showings of power/ability from Superman we got from WoNK was Superman displaying his feinting fighting tactics to assess the other Kryptonian when they were sparring and Superman tanking a shit load of Kryptonite that nigh instantly killed another Kryptonian sleeper agent. Everything else was pretty meh or pretty low end for him, imo.

-Pr-
Come on Pr... why bring up the low ball game. I told you all a long time ago that they were planning on depowering him but you all didn't believe me and that had nothing to do with me enjoying the stories.

You are just seeing things in a different fashion than I am. He doesn't need to be on the JLA... he is powerful enough to be a lone hero BUT they have still kept his connection to the team going.

I am enjoying the books... I do agree, they could have handled the kryptonian arc a little better than what they did but from what I seen of it, I enjoyed the story.

We just have different opinions.

Except that you never showed a shred of proof. The current JMS comics and what little showings of power we did get pretty much destory that assumption. You can't keep bringing it up without backing it up.

That wasn't my point, and you know that.

You just like a crapper Superman. erm

I think the only decent showings of power/ability from Superman we got from WoNK was Superman displaying his feinting fighting tactics to assess the other Kryptonian when they were sparring and Superman tanking a shit load of Kryptonite that nigh instantly killed another Kryptonian sleeper agent. Everything else was pretty meh or pretty low end for him, imo.

it was.

JakeTheBank
I mean...

I will say, World of New Krypton had a ton of raw potential. 10000 Kryptonians living in opposite orbit of the planet Earth? That's ripe for story telling. Not to mention seeing more of 'Kal-El' and how he interacts with his own people. But God damn, it spiraled into a pure unadulterated mess. I totally supported Mon-El and Nightwing and Flamebird and Supergirl stepping up to the plate, but watching them kill off virtually every other Kryptonian or banish them to the Phantom Zone? Eff that.

Like I've said before, Superman isn't my favorite character in the whole wide world, but I do have a respect and admiration for the charrie and do enjoy his comics. And the stuff from the past few years have really left a bitter aftertaste.

carver9
Except that you never showed a shred of proof. The current JMS comics and what little showings of power we did get pretty much destory that assumption. You can't keep bringing it up without backing it up.

That wasn't my point, and you know that.

You just like a crapper Superman. erm

it was.

laughing

Pr... you are hilarious. I don't like a weaker Superman. Its the stories that I like, it has nothing to do with his power.

I agree, I didn't show a shed of proof but I am a dictionary filled with a lot of information... you all should take advantage of that and listen to some of the stuff that I tell you all. I have sources.

I know that wasn't your point, just had to mess with ya for a bit. I don't understand why you responded to that post...lol... when I said that I enjoy the stories. Some people will just have different opinion. DC rarely make terrible stories involving Superman imo. He isn't a hard character to write.

-Pr-
laughing

Pr... you are hilarious. I don't like a weaker Superman. Its the stories that I like, it has nothing to do with his power.

I agree, I didn't show a shed of proof but I am a dictionary filled with a lot of information... you all should take advantage of that and listen to some of the stuff that I tell you all. I have sources.

I know that wasn't your point, just had to mess with ya for a bit. I don't understand why you responded to that post...lol... when I said that I enjoy the stories. Some people will just have different opinion. DC rarely make terrible stories involving Superman imo. He isn't a hard character to write.

Except that your "sources" would be wrong, considering the fact that when Superman has shown up in one shots or minis recently, he's been showing good feats. It's only with bad writing that he's looked bad.

carver9
Except that your "sources" would be wrong, considering the fact that when Superman has shown up in one shots or minis recently, he's been showing good feats. It's only with bad writing that he's looked bad.

Can't argue againt this.

I don't think the impact that I stated when towards just Supes. It seems like it has hit Thor, Hulk, basically the main stars and I think they are doing this to bring light to the other characters.

-Pr-
Can't argue againt this.

I don't think the impact that I stated when towards just Supes. It seems like it has hit Thor, Hulk, basically the main stars and I think they are doing this to bring light to the other characters.

Even though you yourself in other threads have claimed that Hulk pre Zeus was the most powerful he's ever been?

carver9
Even though you yourself in other threads have claimed that Hulk pre Zeus was the most powerful he's ever been?

laughing

I sure did.

They have depowered him though. Recently, he can't even lift a car and its been like that since his Zeus fight. Lol... you have a good memory Pr. Your mind is a weapon and you tend to mainly remember the things that I say and use them against me.

One day I might get banned but overall even though I fussed and argued with a lot of you, you all will eventually miss me.

stick out tongue

Now can we stop talking about this so that I can go to bed?

D_Dude1210
Now can we stop talking about this so that you and I can go to bed?

GASP!

-Pr-
Wow... I don't even...

carver9
Originally posted by D_Dude1210
GASP!

Lol...WTF...

Yeah, after that comment I am getting off of KMC for a bit.

WOW.

confused

Now can we stop talking about this so that I can go to bed? if you two live together, why dont you discuss this shit over at home?

illadelph12
crylaugh0

You're never hearing the end of this one Pig!

Tha C-Master
Wow... I don't even... hysterical

quanchi112
Originally posted by 753
if you two live together, why dont you discuss this shit over at home? laughing out loud laughing out loud

dmills
laughing stickied for future reference.

HigH ScholaR
Now can we stop talking about this so that I can go to bed?
Wow... I don't even...

laughing out loud

Newjak
This battle will probably be like most other battle a brief indecisive scuffle with them having to team up.

What I would like to see is a good drawn out battle with a few busted planets in these guys' wake. Probably Thor getting the slight nod but that is based solely on personal preference of the characters.

playa1258
Thor is going to beat his ass, again

illadelph12
What I'd like to see is Thor getting in some good blows early and doing a Hammer Toss at Surfer, and then and angry Surfer using his speed and intelligence to simultaneously evade Mjolnir while transmuting the air around Thor into some near indestructible restraints and blasting and beating the crap out of Thor while he's at the disadantage until he can manage to free himself, at which point they both go all out and stalemate or Surfer calls for a ceasefire as something of greater importance presents itself.

quanchi112
Originally posted by playa1258
Thor is going to beat his ass, again We shall see, playa.

Allankles
Fights generate the buzz from good to bad stories just the same.

If you honestly can't think of any reason why Supes and Black Adam would be fighting I'd say your imagination is quite terrible.

Coming up with a reason for them to fight is easy, coming up with a good reason is more difficult. BA isn't a villain and has done his tours of the JSA, so he has no real good reason to fight Supes.

I'm trying to see a scenario that does justice to both characters, but also draws them into a confrontation. I just can't see one atm.

Every time I see BA as a villain (or antagonist) he just seems thuggish, when we know he's actually an honorable guy.

psycho gundam
^ i agree. black adam just does things "non-american", then people put their nose in his business and everyone gets a bloody nose

quanchi112
Coming up with a reason for them to fight is easy, coming up with a good reason is more difficult. BA isn't a villain and has done his tours of the JSA, so he has no real good reason to fight Supes.

I'm trying to see a scenario that does justice to both characters, but also draws them into a confrontation. I just can't see one atm.

Every time I see BA as a villain (or antagonist) he just seems thuggish, when we know he's actually an honorable guy. We see confrontations all the time between heroes such as Hulk/Thor or Superman/Captain Marvel or Black Adam vs. rest of world alal ww 3. I mean come on the guy is pretty ruthless for a hero yet you can't see how they could come to blows.

JakeTheBank
I can see Lois going to Kahndaq to expose the brutality of Black Adam's controversal reign and she winds up getting swept up in some civil war or some crap and Superman intervenes before things get worse. While he's there, he begins being a typical goody two shoes and winds up pissing off Adam as a result.

HigH ScholaR
What should happen is as soon as Thor throws his hammer at Surfer, Surfer teleports at Thor's head either KO'ing him or making him Dizzy. then Surfer fuses Thor into the ground or encase him like he did Spiderman and Daredevil then leaves to go find Midnight Sun

Blight
I can see Lois going to Kahndaq to expose the brutality of Black Adam's controversal reign and she winds up getting swept up in some civil war or some crap and Superman intervenes before things get worse. While he's there, he begins being a typical goody two shoes and winds up pissing off Adam as a result. The problem with that would be Adam would bum rush him... say get out of my country and superman...................... would.... The End... No Fight. stick out tongue

Naija boy
Let's hope surfer turns him to stone.lol

"Id"
Since it's looming in the air and more than likely will be upon us soon let's hear what we want to see happen and what we think is going to happen. I feel like I missed something, what do you mean a fight is looming in the air?

JakeTheBank
Originally posted by "Id"
I feel like I missed something, what do you mean a fight is looming in the air?

Fraction's relaunched "The Mighty Thor" will have an arc with Surfer and Galactus coming to Asgard.

Hope G buttrapes their stupid floating kingdom

"Id"

"Id"
So Wade becomes a Herald of Galactus. Shortly after he gets fired by the G-Man himself, and Surfer comes to collect. A fight ensures, and I cant tell if Wade drops the Sun on Surfer or simply manifests this HUGE fire ball. What ever it is, its bigger than the planet, and Surfer manages to rebound it ala DBZ. Sheeze.

http://img232.imageshack.us/img232/7677/dptu883oroboroscps025.th.jpghttp://img818.imageshack.us/img818/854/dptu883oroboroscps029.th.jpghttp://img808.imageshack.us/img808/9383/dptu883oroboroscps031.th.jpg
http://img232.imageshack.us/img232/7677/dptu883oroboroscps025.jpg
http://img818.imageshack.us/img818/854/dptu883oroboroscps029.jpg
http://img808.imageshack.us/img808/9383/dptu883oroboroscps031.jpg

D_Dude1210
Lol. Looks like Marvel is running our of fight choreography ideas. They're ripping off DBZ now. :P

Is this canon? What issue did it happen in? Also, what happened after?

Blair Wind
The hell was that from?

"Id"
Deadpool Team-Up #883

Wade gave up, after some more off panel beating (?).

Funniest moment was when Wade called Surfer a Christmas ornament. Nearly spat out my cola.

Sirius77
The part where Galactus facepalmed got me lol.

TricksterPriest
Scans?

Sirius77
http://i810.photobucket.com/albums/zz22/truman801/DPTU_883_Oroboros_CPS_021.jpg

So good lol.

TricksterPriest
I know that's probably not canon.....

But I can easily see Deadpool annoying Galactus that much. hysterical

D_Dude1210
I know that's probably not canon.....

But I can easily see Deadpool annoying Galactus that much. hysterical

So, is this canon, guys? stick out tongue

He annoyed Galactus so much, I think the Big-G lost his appetite.

Mindship
What is Wade riding? Looks like a suped-up, make-it-at-home rocket board.

Sirius77
Lol I don't know. So weird question, how does Galactus determine what a herald's power level will be... or is it just a matter of what the person manifests with the pc?

theyre not all created the same. who knows what criteria G uses?

SS has been the only one thus far to actually surpass his alotted share of the PC by flaring out and creating PC of his own. it's ony happened once.

"Id"
So Deadpools ongoing series is out of continuity?

So Deadpools ongoing series is out of continuity? no. that is from deadpool team up, whioch may or may not be in continuity - it is more comic

Ptr_Grifin
So Deadpools ongoing series is out of continuity?

I think that is from Deadpool Team-Up.

Utrigita
Originally posted by Sirius77
Lol I don't know. So weird question, how does Galactus determine what a herald's power level will be... or is it just a matter of what the person manifests with the pc?

I think it's a matter of how the character manifests the PC, for instance when the Destroyer was Galactus herald, Galactus said that he empowered it with a thousand part of a thousand part of his own energy, it's possible that it's the general power given to his heralds and then they given different circumstances, which I have no idea about what is, gains different levels of power because of the way the PC (according to Thanos in Annihilation) is bound to the individual soul.

Now with that said, I merely hope for a good fight between the different character (Thor vs Surfer, Galactus vs Odin) which respect the different powersets and like said previously in this thread, a long good battle would be a welcome change.

PillarofOsiris
They are definitely more popular with storied histories than the Sentry but he was clearly more powerful than either.

laughing

Warlord
I predict it would be boring.
Marvel doesn't know how to write a fight nowadays.

Both latest Thor and Avengers titles were shit

war of kings had some decent shit in it

quanchi112
Originally posted by PillarofOsiris
laughing What's incorrect about this statement ?

PIKEY GUNDAM
Sore wins this.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.