Star Wars Blu Ray

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

JediRobin23
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgskOlJ-F5U

Thought this was cool

Sith Master X
LucasFilm got in their annual April Fools day joke today.

Holiday Special coming to blu-ray this fall. roll eyes (sarcastic)

queeq
Where was that?

Sith Master X
Over at TheForce.Net

LucasFilm's been doing this sort of thing for a number of years.

queeq
Seen it. Very well done, it was a matter of lol.

Sith Master X
I really don't get why so many people dislike the Holiday special? I mean at the end of the day, it was made for TV entertainment and nothing more. When Princess Leia sings at the end it is very touching, I don't know. I just don't feel like it's as bad as it was made out to be.

Ok ok....with that, I'm only kidding. lol But hey, at least there's something out there that we would have to admit, is worse than the PT. wink

queeq
Oh I agree... laughing out loud

darthmaul1
Confirmed fixes in the 6 movies digital yoda in tpm

http://www.thehdroom.com/news/Star-Wars-Blu-ray-Up-Close-at-LucasFilm-Part-1-of-3/9424

darthmaul1
Lukes saber is fixed!!!!
http://starwars.com/news/saga_bluray_restoration/index.html

queeq
Yup. Apparantly the deleted scenes agllery is the one to watch out for.

darthmaul1
Apparently people have already downloaded the OT and complained about some of the fixes and lack of fixes. The person said lukes saber is not fixed but the official site had a shot saying it was
http://starwars.com/news/saga_bluray_restoration/
I just can't believe they would fix some shots and not others! If they didn't then i will personally email George Lucas and let him know to hire me to make sure the proper changes are made!

queeq
It's getting weirder and weirder... All we can do is wait and find out what the full scale of the damage is this time.

Sith Master X
http://boingboing.net/2011/09/01/star-wars-the-tweaking-continues-now-on-blu-ray.html

Let the "world is now coming to an end" panic begin. smile

LanceWindu
Originally posted by Sith Master X
http://boingboing.net/2011/09/01/star-wars-the-tweaking-continues-now-on-blu-ray.html

Let the "world is now coming to an end" panic begin. smile

You're a week late.

NTJack0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMAX2AlYzOs

A few scenes.

Sith Master X
Originally posted by LanceWindu
You're a week late.

Yes I am. smile

I've been out of state the last 6 days.

queeq
Should have stayed there and be spared of these ill tidings.

NTJack0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1D0WEkmlu-I

Another trailer.

queeq
Didn't you post that on the OT forum?

NTJack0
Yeah, I just post it in both of the BluRay threads.

queeq
Ah...

Sith Master X
I think I've waited my whole life for this article...big grin

http://www.denofgeek.com/movies/1048247/%20george_lucas_the_case_for_the_defence.html

It just stole every thought about the whole thing I've had right out of my head. I know everyone else will highly disagree, but I found that lone person out there who seems to view things as I do. lol

darthmaul1

http://www.denofgeek.com/movies/1048247/%20george_lucas_the_case_for_the_defence.html

It just stole every thought about the whole thing I've had right out of my head. I know everyone else will highly disagree, but I found that lone person out there who seems to view things as I do. lol

Me too.

ares834
That guy is the biggest Lucas fanboy I have ever seen...

"George Lucas is a brilliant filmmaker, who breathed life into cinema and has given great joy to millions of people the world over (and continues to do so). A feat matched by no other filmmaker, living or dead."

Really? The guy is an idiot.

LanceWindu
Originally posted by ares834

"George Lucas is a brilliant filmmaker, who breathed life into cinema and has given great joy to millions of people the world over (and continues to do so). A feat matched by no other filmmaker, living or dead."

I know, right?

George Lucas can be credited with bringing us Star Wars, and with it a new age of cinematic special effects. He's far from brilliant. He got lucky with the first Star Wars. He's not really responsible for ESB or ROTJ. The prequels are okay, but far from great. There is potential in there, buried beneath crap.

The majority of his other work is just him being a writer or a producer. Being a producer, he's best at, but even his best is subpar.

Sith Master X
Originally posted by ares834

Well said.

You're either a fanboy, or a blatant hater....

I know which category you fall into.

And if we say Lucas isn't really responsible for ESB and ROTJ, then that's like saying he isn't responsible for INDIANA JONES either. I'm glad that one's been settled. Now we can stop blaming him for Kingdom of the Crystal skull, even though Lucas didn't write the script, but came up with the story. Oh yeah...much like ESB and ROTJ....but he wasn't responsible for those films, so we can't hold him responsible for INDY 4.

That's one debate solved. lol Either way, there would be no Empire or ROTJ without ANH...the brainchild of Lucas. I'm sure Lucas got lucky with the binary sunset scene too that everyone raves about. The "It's so inspiring, I feel every single emotion Luke's going through there" comments I come across all over the internet.

I'm glad Lucas wasn't responsible for ROTJ either, cause that one sucked.

ares834
Well said.

Yep. Because I'm resonable enough to realize that Lucas isn't the most brilliant filmaker ever I'm a hater...

S_D_J

I agree with the article as well, almost word by word

I love the PT, for all it's faults, I found them enjoyable, but I don't think they're better than the OT, not close

The first movie I remember watching was Empire and then ROTJ (I must have been around 7 or 8) I love the ewoks back them, It wasn't until I was 12 and heard about the SE (1996) that my love as a fan was truly ignited, that was the first time I saw ANH, I used to rent the movies many times until the next year when the SE came out and I was able to experience it on a big screen... and then I also loved the SE.

It doesn't matter to me that PT sucked, I loved TPM as much as I loved ROTJ...even though I hated the first time I saw AOTC, I hated the thought of watching that movie again, I've since warmed up to it (still it's the worse of all the PT movies), I hate having to watch Hayden instead of Shaw (I cringed everytime I see that) and once I have the BR, I will hate everytime I have to hear Vader shriek.

... but despite all those changes, I still have my memories of me watching the movies on my VCR, and then experience it for the first time in a big screen, my childhood memories are still as I remember (I never understood the "raping memories" expression no expression)
... anyways, I can still pop in the O OT on DVD any time big grin

I said it once before, I think this is his work, his property and sadly he can change it the way he sees, just as he can give the guidelines about what could be created by others... and that's the truth

Lucas isn't a good director, I think every actor that worked with him have said that, he doesn't know how to direct people, but he is a visionary... he just need people around him to help him realize that vision... too bad it seems the people around him now are too afraid to tell him when he's going too far... he needs someone like Kershner sad

queeq

I don't get it. All this guy does is rant against the ranters. Which is justified.

I think he overlooked two major issues which prolly sums up the main gripe of fans, which then gets worded in ourageous ways:

1. Lucas does some minor changes (like sound, blinking eyes, add a tidbit scene here and there), that's all fine. But character changes??? That's quite a serious change. And he does that with greedo shooting first and Darth Vader suddenly yelling NOOOO in ROTJ. True, it doesn't really change the stories, but it is strange... and not in these two cases a better alteration.
2. Lucas is keeping a really good tranfers from us of the originals. Now this guy argues that we already have it. But I must say, I think the best version of the OT I have is the last cleaned up VHS release prior to the 1997 SE's (it looks crispier than the DVD version). After that Lucas says that version doesn't exist anymore. Now, I wouldn't say Lucas is raping my childhood, but he is raping the historical record. The current versions are not the ones that made movie history, these versions cash in on the ones that did.

So I don't mind Lucas changing his films, go ahead. But if you pretend to make a Complete Saga Box in the spirit of the Alien Anthology... MAKE a Complete Saga in the spirit of the Alien Anthology INCLUDING the originals. They didn't...

Coppola restored The Godfather in it's original look, as well as Apocalypse Now (in both the REDUX and the theatrical version). Spielberg made an SE of ET but also added the original. Blade Runner had ALL versions, including the mysterious Work print (still the same story, yet some scenes are quite different - die hard fans WANT to see it and they finally got it, and it was a TREAT).. So why is Lucas being so stubborn keeping the originals from us, and why doesn't he explain that to us? We get these wondeful books like The Making of Star Wars and The Making of The Empire Strikes Back (and hopefully The Making of ROTJ in two years)... it's all so contradictory. And his silence about it kinda suggests he's some evil Emperor of the Lucasfilm Empire himself... That is what I don't like about it... there's a certain arrogance.

But other than that... I AM enjoying the Blu Rays.

LanceWindu
Well said.

And if we say Lucas isn't really responsible for ESB and ROTJ, then that's like saying he isn't responsible for INDIANA JONES either. I'm glad that one's been settled. Now we can stop blaming him for Kingdom of the Crystal skull, even though Lucas didn't write the script, but came up with the story. Oh yeah...much like ESB and ROTJ....but he wasn't responsible for those films, so we can't hold him responsible for INDY 4.

That's one debate solved. lol Either way, there would be no Empire or ROTJ without ANH...the brainchild of Lucas. I'm sure Lucas got lucky with the binary sunset scene too that everyone raves about. The "It's so inspiring, I feel every single emotion Luke's going through there" comments I come across all over the internet.

I'm glad Lucas wasn't responsible for ROTJ either, cause that one sucked.

Lucas came up with the story. But not the final script. He basically gave them the outline.

Same with all of the Indiana Jones movies. He's involved with these hit movies, but not as much as you'd like to give him credit to. Yeah, praise the guy for coming up with the story, but thank the actual writers for not giving us super cheesy lines like you'd find in the PT.

queeq
Very true.

colen219
thanks darthmaul1!

LanceWindu
Useless bump of the day goes to...the new guy!

queeq
Yaay..

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.