Magneto vs. Kilowog

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Sin I AM
Doubt this has been done before

populated industrial area

Mags in his prime

the ninjak
What stops Mags from simply ripping the ring of a GL's finger?

-Pr-
Demagnetising.

the ninjak
Cool thumb up

Is that an automatic feat or one that requires concentration?

-Pr-
Originally posted by the ninjak
Cool thumb up

Is that an automatic feat or one that requires concentration?

The Lantern has to tell the ring to do it, but he can do it even if it's not on his finger.

the ninjak
Originally posted by -Pr-
The Lantern has to tell the ring to do it, but he can do it even if it's not on his finger.

Well if it's not on his finger he is screwed isn't he?
But if he commands the ring to avoid magnetisation at the very beginning of the battle then he is sweet.

-Pr-
Well if it's not on his finger he is screwed isn't he?
But if he commands the ring to avoid magnetisation at the very beginning of the battle then he is sweet.

how? even if magneto takes the ring off of his finger, all the lantern has to say is "ring, demagnetise and return" and unless magneto can somehow stop it, he'll get it back.

i'm sure mags could put up a forcefield, but rings are pretty determined when they want to be, and can use abilities that the lantern could use.

the ninjak
Because if the ring is off his finger and then has to will the ring to de-magnetise then will it to return. Mags would've already pumped a random piece of metal through Kilowog's skull. Or made his concentration worthless by manipulating the iron in the blood in his brain.

Sin I AM
whats Kilos durability without the ring? if magneto is able to take the ring off him, couldnt he just kill him before it returns?

-Pr-
Because if the ring is off his finger and then has to will the ring to de-magnetise then will it to return. Mags would've already pumped a random piece of metal through Kilowog's skull. Or made his concentration worthless by manipulating the iron in the blood in his brain.

Regardless in this fight the ring is already on his finger. De-magnetising it will require a thought giving Mags an opening of attack. But after that it's on.

the rings are programmed to return to their wearer when the wearer tells them too. even from some reasonably large distances. it's more to do with the ring's charge than any willpower.

say, if the ring has 90% power, it won't require any actual willpower to get it back, usually.

gl shields (assuming the ring is still on his finger) can protect against iron in the blood attacks and so forth.

that, and kilowog would have access to all the information about hal jordan's battles with doctor polaris, who for a time was a lantern villain.

and all that is assuming that magneto can even take the ring off of him in the first place, which for me isn't so cut and dry.

while i can certainly see avenues for magneto winning, i think kilowog has a fair shot too.

the ninjak
Thanks Pr.

I guess it's all up to battle feats now.

Slaanesh
i would give any top tier GL a wins against Mag..so Kilowog FTW..

MrMind
any proof the GL ring is metal?

Blair Wind
Pulling the ring off the finger does jack shit.

IIRC, John had to send his ring light years away just so he could shoot himself without it automatically protecting him. The rings autoshield even when not on the wearer.

MrMind
anyway kilowog FTW

chomperx9
Originally posted by MrMind
any proof the GL ring is metal? any proof that it isnt ?

-Pr-
Originally posted by chomperx9
any proof that it isnt ?

Don't ask people to prove a negative.

Anyway, the rings before Johns had a few instances of being metal, though I don't know if it's been retconned. F*cker retconned pretty much everything else...

chomperx9
Don't ask people to prove a negative.

Anyway, the rings before Johns had a few instances of being metal, though I don't know if it's been retconned. F*cker retconned pretty much everything else... so since john came along I guess the gaurdians have decided to order the platic version of the rings for the GLs, no ?

-Pr-
so since john came along I guess the gaurdians have decided to order the platic version of the rings for the GLs, no ?

No idea. He redesigned the entire power of the corps. Wouldn't be surprised if he changed the ring too.

MrMind
any proof that it isnt ?
last I check it's made from Oan material, which has nothing to do with earth's metal. there was the instance where firestorm cannot transmute Oan robot because the Oan material happens to be alive

Blair Wind
last I check it's made from Oan material, which has nothing to do with earth's metal. there was the instance where firestorm cannot transmute Oan robot because the Oan material happens to be alive

Yes.

Then no (unless you are talking about another instance, but I doubt it). Firestorm couldn't transmute a Green Lantern Robot, one of the faux green lanterns that Kyle created, because he was alive. That was Kyle's doing, not oan material

chomperx9
http://www.killermovies.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=547862

LIAR

Prep-Man
Wog.

Acrosurge
While I'm not sure if Magneto would pull the win here, I don't think that demagnetizing the ring will protect it (and the user) from Magneto's powers. At his prime, he's capable of messing with the entire EM spectrum and related forces like gravity.

Don't get me wrong, a competent Lantern like Kilowag should be able to defend himself against Magneto's direct manipulation via willpower, but demagnetizing won't stop Mags.

carver9

WTF...

I can't believe some of the things that are being mentioned right now. Doctor Poloris had Kyle basically beating the hell out of himself with his ring. He manipulated the ring and since it was connected to Hal hand, he was basically using it to make Kyle beat himself to sleep.

And let's not even bring up the fact that Kyle himself said that its not safe to fight Poloris because he can mess with their blood (including his) and he had his shields up the entire time.

Kilowag gets stomped to sh** by Mags. Magneto CAN take his ring and he probably could rip it into a million pieces if he tried.

If Magneto can control Mjlonir which IMO is a more powerful artifact than any GL ring, Mags shouldn't have a problem at all against that ring.

Magneto smiles the entire time while fight Kilo. Kilo needs a partner.

Prep-Man
Originally posted by carver9
WTF...

I can't believe some of the things that are being mentioned right now. Doctor Poloris had Kyle basically beating the hell out of himself with his ring. He manipulated the ring and since it was connected to Hal hand, he was basically using it to make Kyle beat himself to sleep.

And let's not even bring up the fact that Kyle himself said that its not safe to fight Poloris because he can mess with their blood (including his) and he had his shields up the entire time.

Kilowag gets stomped to sh** by Mags. Magneto CAN take his ring and he probably could rip it into a million pieces if he tried.

If Magneto can control Mjlonir which IMO is a more powerful artifact than any GL ring, Mags shouldn't have a problem at all against that ring.

Don't forget that Polaris was beaten by Hal numerous times and Kyle as well. Most of the time, Polaris is highly amped beyond Magneto base power.

carver9
Originally posted by Prep-Man
Don't forget that Polaris was beaten by Hal numerous times and Kyle as well. Most of the time, Polaris is highly amped beyond Magneto base power.

Poloris IS no Magneto... no matter how you look at it. Even with his amps he isn't Mags.

I never said that Hal couldn't beat Poloris... Poloris doesn't have Magneto versatility OR his shields. Given their fights (Poloris and GLs), Magneto should be able to pull a healthy majority.

Don't forget that Polaris was beaten by Hal numerous times and Kyle as well. Most of the time, Polaris is highly amped beyond Magneto base power. when was polaris ever amped beyond magnetos base power in these encounters?

Prep-Man
Poloris IS no Magneto... no matter how you look at it. Even with his amps he isn't Mags.

I never said that Hal couldn't beat Poloris... Poloris doesn't have Magneto versatility OR his shields. Given their fights (Poloris and GLs), Magneto should be able to pull a healthy majority.

What has Magneto done that Polaris hasnt?

Prep-Man
Originally posted by 753
when was polaris ever amped beyond magnetos base power in these encounters?

When he was the entirety of the earths magnetic pole or when he was so powerful, he was causing damage to reality. Hal had to use PIS to defeat him.

What has Magneto done that Polaris hasnt? wormholes, force-fields that are yet to be breached and have consistently stood up to top tiers, manipulating tectonic plates and gigantic asteroids, exploding reality warping beings of pure energy (that wasnt EM energy), tanking multiple nuclear weapons, amping himself to take class 100s in h2h, dampening TP powers, nullifying gravity, molecular manipulation of matter, photon-level manipulation of EM energy, manipulating the bloodflow of his oponents and interfering with their nervous impulses (as far as I know DP only says he can do this and is yet to do it), manipulating metabolic activity in the cell and molecular levels and curing illnesses, pulling bullet big enough to destroy a planet moving away at multiples of c from the other end of the galaxy to earth, it goes on

When he was the entirety of the earths magnetic pole or when he was so powerful, he was causing damage to reality. Hal had to use PIS to defeat him. at the pole he did nothing that mags couldnt or hasnt reproduce.

what exactly was this event with damaging reality?

carver9
Originally posted by 753
wormholes, force-fields that are yet to be breached and have consistently stood up to top tiers, manipulating tectonic plates and gigantic asteroids, exploding reality warping beings of pure energy (that wasnt EM energy), tanking multiple nuclear weapons, amping himself to take class 100s in h2h, dampening TP powers, nullifying gravity, molecular manipulation of matter, photon-level manipulation of EM energy, manipulating the bloodflow of his oponents and interfering with their nervous impulses (as far as I know DP only says he can do this and is yet to do it), manipulating metabolic activity in the cell and molecular levels and curing illnesses, pulling bullet big enough to destroy a planet moving away at multiples of c from the other end of the galaxy to earth, it goes on

This pretty much sums it up. I know this isn't acceptable but wasn't Mags compared to a stable Phoenix?

Prep-Man
Originally posted by 753
wormholes, force-fields that are yet to be breached and have consistently stood up to top tiers, manipulating tectonic plates and gigantic asteroids, exploding reality warping beings of pure energy (that wasnt EM energy), tanking multiple nuclear weapons, amping himself to take class 100s in h2h, dampening TP powers, nullifying gravity, molecular manipulation of matter, photon-level manipulation of EM energy, manipulating the bloodflow of his oponents and interfering with their nervous impulses (as far as I know DP only says he can do this and is yet to do it), manipulating metabolic activity in the cell and molecular levels and curing illnesses, pulling bullet big enough to destroy a planet moving away at multiples of c from the other end of the galaxy to earth, it goes on

Dr. Polaris has done most of that as well. Magneto has never taken on a team of top tiers like Polaris did. Flash, Superman, GL, etc... And the incident with the reality was back in Pre-Crisis, I believe.

carver9
Dr. Polaris has done most of that as well. Magneto has never taken on a team of top tiers like Polaris did. Flash, Superman, GL, etc... And the incident with the reality was back in Pre-Crisis, I believe.

Magneto has taken on the avengers on more than one occassion. Him defeating Proteus alone is a feat that puts him above Poloris.

Proteus would stomp the JLA.

Prep-Man
Polaris would do the same to Polaris, especially if he's taping into the poles.

Polaris would do the same to Polaris, especially if he's taping into the poles. he probaly woudnt, the thing is that magneto has always been able to extend his power beyond magnetism and the EM spectre while DP hasnt. proteus wasnt made of EM energy

Prep-Man
If it's Polaris mucking with reality Polaris, I think he has the potential. It's all speculation, anyway. He was powerful enough to absorb the magnetic powers of a dimension. That is power.

-Pr-
WTF...

Context. You should know better by now not to try and pass off amped villains and PIS/bad writing as some sort of average.

Green Lanterns were dealing with Polaris before any of us were even born.

JakeTheBank
Context. You should know better by now not to try and pass off amped villains and PIS/bad writing as some sort of average.

Green Lanterns were dealing with Polaris before any of us were even born.

thumb up

Kilowog gets the majority.

Mindset
Kilowog sucks.

chomperx9
Kilowog>>>Kyle

Mindset
At sucking.

TricksterPriest
How is this not a spite match? Magneto doesn't have the power to beat a compedent ring-slinger. All he has to do is put up a shield and then just shut down the X-gene. I'm reasonably sure Wog could pull that. Not the only way he wins though.

carver9
Magneto 7/10

Prep-Man
Originally posted by Mindset
At sucking.

laughing

Sin I AM
Originally posted by TricksterPriest
How is this not a spite match? Magneto doesn't have the power to beat a compedent ring-slinger. All he has to do is put up a shield and then just shut down the X-gene. I'm reasonably sure Wog could pull that. Not the only way he wins though.

green lanterns are capable of shutting off metahuman genes? when did this happen

Prep-Man
Originally posted by Sin I AM
green lanterns are capable of shutting off metahuman genes? when did this happen

I don't know that specific example off hand, but GL's have been known to do transmutation. Hal once turned someone into a bird and in Pre-crisis era, he turned his entire team of JLA into pure energy, among other crazy stuff.

Sin I AM
I don't know that specific example off hand, but GL's have been known to do transmutation. Hal once turned someone into a bird and in Pre-crisis era, he turned his entire team of JLA into pure energy, among other crazy stuff.

yea but thats pre-crisis stuff........which shouldnt be used

Prep-Man

The bird incident happened, post crisis, I believe. And Kyle did some transmutation as well. He created his own beings in the oblivion saga.

Warlord
Wog

How is this not a spite match? Magneto doesn't have the power to beat a compedent ring-slinger. All he has to do is put up a shield and then just shut down the X-gene. I'm reasonably sure Wog could pull that. Not the only way he wins though. color me skeptical. when have they ever used that in battle? and why does no one bring that up against SM huh? his powers are derived from kryptonian DNA structure just the same. what indication is there that oan energy of any sort would automatically bypass magneto's shields ?

Deadline
Why are people arguing that de-magnitising is going to do anything?

Digi
I'm not sure why the auto-shields from light years away feat didn't end the magnetizing argument on page 1. Anyone?

As a point of clarification, pre-crisis feats are not non-canon across the board. It's very character-specific, as many were actually unaffected by the crisis and their feats remain valid. I had to do some digging on this one time for a tourney, and found DC's comments to this affect on various characters. The Corps in particular was not affected, so PC feats are valid. I'm not sure if that extends to the few Lanterns who were present for the crisis though, but I don't believe 'wog was among them.

At one point I was going to have an entry in the "Mythbuster" thread about this, but never got around to formalizing my research. And now it's years old and scattered so it'll likely never happen.

Deadline
Originally posted by Digi
As a point of clarification, pre-crisis feats are not non-canon across the board.

Thank you. I got into an argument with somebody about this a little while back, who was claiming all pre-crisis feats were non-canon or not allowed. roll eyes (sarcastic)

My arguments were it depended on the character.

Digi
Originally posted by Deadline
Thank you. I got into an argument with somebody about this a little while back, who was claiming all pre-crisis feats were non-canon or not allowed. roll eyes (sarcastic)

My arguments were it depended on the character.

It very much does. Actual DC press releases exist to back you on this, as well as some common sense involving unaffected characters from reading the original crisis.

Or just bring up, say, Donna Troy and send your opponent's head reeling with continuity insanity. Characters where they couldn't quite tie up all the continuity threads pretty much single-handedly discount absolute arguments about discounting PC feats.

JakeTheBank
Or just bring up, say, Donna Troy and send your opponent's head reeling with continuity insanity.

thumb up This.

Existere
How is this not a spite match? Magneto doesn't have the power to beat a compedent ring-slinger. All he has to do is put up a shield and then just shut down the X-gene. I'm reasonably sure Wog could pull that. Not the only way he wins though. You're hilarious.

Lord Feron
Unfortunately for Kilowog is fighting Mag's in his prime. In his prime he has manipulated the Electromagnetic Spectrum and anything to do with it. I'm sure there is a magneto fan out there that can list the ways he manipulated light (create dense light, bend lasers, turn freaking invisible, etc). As you can see as a lantern a weilder of light constructs they would be wtf owned.

Add that with his impressive displays of magnetism (i really don't think pulling a small ring from kilo's finger is going to be as had as lifting land masses or creating complicated machinery with his powers of magnetism.

Also it really doesn't have to be solely metal for magneto to bend it to his will it just takes more concentration. Anyway Magneto in his prime should beat Kilowog. If it was current or just average magneto then yeah good herald level GL should beat magneto.

Starscream M
How is this not a spite match? Magneto doesn't have the power to beat a compedent ring-slinger. All he has to do is put up a shield and then just shut down the X-gene. I'm reasonably sure Wog could pull that. Not the only way he wins though. you make it sound like thats as easy as turning off a lightswitch

Blair Wind
Originally posted by Lord Feron
Unfortunately for Kilowog is fighting Mag's in his prime. In his prime he has manipulated the Electromagnetic Spectrum and anything to do with it. I'm sure there is a magneto fan out there that can list the ways he manipulated light (create dense light, bend lasers, turn freaking invisible, etc). As you can see as a lantern a weilder of light constructs they would be wtf owned.

Add that with his impressive displays of magnetism (i really don't think pulling a small ring from kilo's finger is going to be as had as lifting land masses or creating complicated machinery with his powers of magnetism.

Also it really doesn't have to be solely metal for magneto to bend it to his will it just takes more concentration. Anyway Magneto in his prime should beat Kilowog. If it was current or just average magneto then yeah good herald level GL should beat magneto.

They don't wield "light". In addition, they can control the EM spectrum as well. In addition to gravity, transmutation, atomic control, etc.

It doesn't just create constructs, just as much as Magneto doesn't just attract/repel metal.

Lord Feron
Originally posted by Blair Wind
They don't wield "light". In addition, they can control the EM spectrum as well. In addition to gravity, transmutation, atomic control, etc.

It doesn't just create constructs, just as much as Magneto doesn't just attract/repel metal.

Yeah i know but it makes alot of kilo's arsenal useless, i mean GL usually build constructs or shoot beams (while fighting, usually). They def have a large array of other abilities but it's just not used as much.

Sin I AM
I'm not sure why the auto-shields from light years away feat didn't end the magnetizing argument on page 1. Anyone?

As a point of clarification, pre-crisis feats are not non-canon across the board. It's very character-specific, as many were actually unaffected by the crisis and their feats remain valid. I had to do some digging on this one time for a tourney, and found DC's comments to this affect on various characters. The Corps in particular was not affected, so PC feats are valid. I'm not sure if that extends to the few Lanterns who were present for the crisis though, but I don't believe 'wog was among them.

At one point I was going to have an entry in the "Mythbuster" thread about this, but never got around to formalizing my research. And now it's years old and scattered so it'll likely never happen.

Ok, i'll buy that for a dollar, but this is Kilowog and not Hal, and also generally posters state Pre-Crisis feats in opening posts (which i didnt) because PC generally refers to the period when said characters performed feats they rarely if not have ever performed since. I mean honestly why would anyone use that era, mostly every hero/villian was a bonafide god. Pre-Crisis GL feats though canon are not the average ANYWAY and as such should be treated as high showings. Be that as it may i wont derail this thread on triviality............

-Pr-

Pre crisis GL stuff is valid. As long as it doesn't get too ridiculous.

Ok, i'll buy that for a dollar, but this is Kilowog and not Hal, and also generally posters state Pre-Crisis feats in opening posts (which i didnt) because PC generally refers to the period when said characters performed feats they rarely if not have ever performed since. I mean honestly why would anyone use that era, mostly every hero/villian was a bonafide god. Pre-Crisis GL feats though canon are not the average ANYWAY and as such should be treated as high showings. Be that as it may i wont derail this thread on triviality............

Kilowog has post crisis feats of transmutation to boot. He'd one of the top gl's, and could easily be argued to be on the level of the big four.

Sin I AM
Pre crisis GL stuff is valid. As long as it doesn't get too ridiculous.

Kilowog has post crisis feats of transmutation to boot. He'd one of the top gl's, and could easily be argued to be on the level of the big four.

I never said it wasn't valid I know its canon....

your point? im trying to see where exactly your going with this, doesnt the GL commonly resort to brute force

-Pr-
I never said it wasn't valid I know its canon....

your point? im trying to see where exactly your going with this, doesnt the GL commonly resort to brute force

but you don't think it should be used?

for their initial attack yes, but my point is that they can (and in kilowog's case, will most likely) change it up if brute force doesn't work. heck, kilowog himself is a genius, and on his home planet was a genetic scientist. he's not going to keep trying to wear magneto out with standard constructs.

Sin I AM
but you don't think it should be used?

for their initial attack yes, but my point is that they can (and in kilowog's case, will most likely) change it up if brute force doesn't work. heck, kilowog himself is a genius, and on his home planet was a genetic scientist. he's not going to keep trying to wear magneto out with standard constructs.

I think that rare high end and low end feats shouldnt be used...Take this for example, Thor right, every thread in regards he's in someone mentions the Godblast but how often does he use it? Even when getiing pawned (Rulk comes to mind). So why even argue it? Because posters like to create wins but its not practical, especially when fighting in character. Because in character he will not raise mjolnir and absorb a cosmic blast from norrin, in character he will attempt to tank it and use it as a club. same principle applies to the lantern

magneto is not a genius?

-Pr-
I think that rare high end and low end feats shouldnt be used...Take this for example, Thor right, every thread in regards he's in someone mentions the Godblast but how often does he use it? Even when getiing pawned (Rulk comes to mind). So why even argue it? Because posters like to create wins but its not practical, especially when fighting in character. Because in character he will not raise mjolnir and absorb a cosmic blast from norrin, in character he will attempt to tank it and use it as a club. same principle applies to the lantern

magneto is not a genius?

and that's fine. the truth is just that lanterns do have pre crisis feats that aren't so ridiculous, so it evens out in the end. at least imo.

i thought we were talking about Kilowog? stick out tongue But yes, Magneto is pretty intelligent too.

Sin I AM
and that's fine. the truth is just that lanterns do have pre crisis feats that aren't so ridiculous, so it evens out in the end. at least imo.

i thought we were talking about Kilowog? stick out tongue But yes, Magneto is pretty intelligent too.

lol sorry you caught me monloguing roll eyes (sarcastic) , so be that as it may how is kilowog going to transmute thru Eriks shield

-Pr-
lol sorry you caught me monloguing roll eyes (sarcastic) , so be that as it may how is kilowog going to transmute thru Eriks shield

I honestly don't know if he can. I don't know if he can't either. But he can transmute around him, which is something I guess.

Blair Wind
I honestly don't know if he can. I don't know if he can't either. But he can transmute around him, which is something I guess.

From now on my default GL answer is they absorb them into the ring - like they did to Dr. Light who was/is stupid powerful before he became a joke and after they lifted his mental stump.

Then they are god.

stick out tongue

-Pr-
Originally posted by Blair Wind
From now on my default GL answer is they absorb them into the ring - like they did to Dr. Light who was/is stupid powerful before he became a joke and after they lifted his mental stump.

Then they are god.

stick out tongue

That works.

Digi

Agreed almost in full. I was simply stating that the feats aren't non-canon for the Corps. Use them or ignore them how you will in debates. I never really got into the "average feats vs. best feats" debate, so really don't care. 90% of the posting I do in the vs. forum anymore is either clarification or information...I never really concern myself with outcomes.

Though as long as we're attemtping to stay on topic, I still haven't seen an answer to my initial question of how Mags wins with the auto-shields-from-a-distance feat for the rings. Because that seemed to be the biggest avenue of Magneto supporters, and I doubt anyone will argue his superiorty here if it just devoles into a raw power struggle.

Starscream M
Agreed almost in full. I was simply stating that the feats aren't non-canon for the Corps. Use them or ignore them how you will in debates. I never really got into the "average feats vs. best feats" debate, so really don't care. 90% of the posting I do in the vs. forum anymore is either clarification or information...I never really concern myself with outcomes.

Though as long as we're attemtping to stay on topic, I still haven't seen an answer to my initial question of how Mags wins with the auto-shields-from-a-distance feat for the rings. Because that seemed to be the biggest avenue of Magneto supporters, and I doubt anyone will argue his superiorty here if it just devoles into a raw power struggle. Magneto can exert energy within the shield, thereby effecting the user...ie removing iron from their blood

Blair Wind
Originally posted by Starscream M
Magneto can exert energy within the shield, thereby effecting the user...ie removing iron from their blood

And that could not happen vice versa?

Sin I AM

Though as long as we're attempting to stay on topic, I still haven't seen an answer to my initial question of how Mags wins with the auto-shields-from-a-distance feat for the rings. Because that seemed to be the biggest avenue of Magneto supporters, and I doubt anyone will argue his superiorty here if it just devoles into a raw power struggle.

Agreed

I dont believe thats a viable option as its highly unlikely that Magneto can affect Kilos ring. I think it more probable that he will shield himself and attempt more exotic attacks, im just not sure how that will clash with the ring bearers ablities. Im positive he can withstand any physical assault he brings, but im curios how an "iron in the blood" tactic will work, if at all. Im curious about if Magneto can manipulate the energies the ring produces i dont believe its totally within the emotional spectrum

Deadline
Im curious about if Magneto can manipulate the energies the ring produces i dont believe its totally within the emotional spectrum

Well he did manage to manipulate energy from outside the eletcromagnetic spectrum while he was dying and that was against a reality warping mutant.

Prep-Man
I wonder if Magneto can manipulate GL's energy?

probably can, but in a fight that would require him fight kilowog for control of his own energies. I would say neither one would hijack each others energies successfuly mid-battle

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.