Who is DC's most versatile character?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Prep-Man
Is it a top tier Green Lantern?
Orion?
Waverider?
Who?

Top 3 if you can.

Juk3n
Ion Kyle Rayner is pretty close, without going too far up the food chain.

Prep-Man
Ion 2? Or Ion 1? Ion 1 is too powerful.

Galan007
Most versatile from a general power standpoint?

If so, Firestorm would be up there...

Parmaniac
Mxy

EDIT: You gave no power limit.

Supermutant
Lightray
Martian Manhunter
Maxima

Prep-Man
Just top tiers, please.

Existere
PC Superman

Q99
Ion 2's still pretty darn versatile.

Not counting Ions, I think Alan Scott's more versatile than the other top tier GLs (he does stuff like mess with time more; when Mr. Terrific 'died' recently, he froze him in time so they'd have time to revive him from clinical death).

Zatanna's way up there too, of course.

Hm, GLs excepted, it tends to be the magic types in DC's top tier of versatility. Most of the non-magic top heroes tend to have a good array of powers, like Superman, WW, etc., but not many have very broad powers in the same way some in the marvel discussion did.

Oh yea, J'onn's a swiss army knife of course.

JakeTheBank
Alan Scott
Dr. Fate
Zatanna
Firestorm
Martian Manhunter

No real order.

Lord Feron
Takion Was pretty versitile, that dude has to come back.

Existere
post-52 Animal Man

marwash22
classic Wondy.

Strength, speed, durability, flight, magic and tp resistance and haxx trinkets.

Parmaniac
Batman haw-som

Q99
Blue Beetle's pretty darn versatile, come to think of it. His armor has so many options, and he even did stuff like brief time-jumps by using the Reach phasing option through the bleed once. Physically it can make many tools for the job, it can do energy blasts, force fields, specific types of anti-(whatever) beams, etc.. Heck, we even found out it has special death protection modes it just showed in Generation Lost.

Originally posted by JakeTheBank
Alan Scott
Dr. Fate
Zatanna
Firestorm
Martian Manhunter

No real order.

Despite his power and potential versatility, in practice Dr. Fate tends not to be the most versatile of magic users IMO.

Agreed on all others.

Why Lightray?

Yea, Maxima's no slouch in versatility.

Existere
Black Alice

JakeTheBank
Originally posted by Existere
Black Alice

thumb up

Also, Amazo.

Existere
Hank Henshaw

marwash22
krytonians in general.
Firestorm
Captain Atom

Uriel005
1) Mandrakk
2) Mxy
3) Amazo

Edit: For all you ppl questioning which Mandrakk just think of which one rapes moar.

Supermutant
Originally posted by Q99
Why Lightray?

He can create illusions using light, also can create a sun, and rearrange matter.
Of course faster than light, flight, use light to blind, shoot heat and laser beams. Plus other standard new gods powers like superhuman strength and invulnerability. Also absorbs energy
Can greatly amp any kryptonian.

Lord Feron
Flash considering that esse4ntially he is just really hast. He has some decent versatility.

Endless Mike
The Presence or the Primal Monitor

Mindset
Originally posted by Endless Mike
The Presence or the Primal Monitor Kyle > them

Q99
Originally posted by Supermutant
He can create illusions using light, also can create a sun, and rearrange matter.
Of course faster than light, flight, use light to blind, shoot heat and laser beams. Plus other standard new gods powers like superhuman strength and invulnerability. Also absorbs energy
Can greatly amp any kryptonian.

Mostly that seems like one power, energy expulsion, at high level. Plus strength and toughness.

Existere
Originally posted by Q99
Mostly that seems like one power, energy expulsion, at high level. Plus strength and toughness. ... then doesn't Zatanna just have one power? Magic?

I would think that versatility would be about the variety of applications of a power or powers.

Q99
... then doesn't Zatanna just have one power? Magic?

I would think that versatility would be about the variety of applications of a power or powers.

Most of those are just 'shoot lots of energy,' though, plus illusion. Make a sun, shoot heat, blind someone, and amp a kryptonian is just a matter of where the power's dialed. Stargirl can do all of that except 'make a sun,' and only that because she lacks the omph.

Zatanna's spells can do a much wider variety. She can do illusions or blasty too, and make stuff. But she can also mess with souls, teleport, summon things, go into dreams and other planes, put restrictions on what other people can and can't do, alter memories, shrink, grow, counterspell, etc. etc..

Existere
Originally posted by Q99
Most of those are just 'shoot lots of energy,' though, plus illusion. Make a sun, shoot heat, blind someone, and amp a kryptonian is just a matter of where the power's dialed. Stargirl can do all of that except 'make a sun,' and only that because she lacks the omph.

Zatanna's spells can do a much wider variety. She can do illusions or blasty too, and make stuff. But she can also mess with souls, teleport, summon things, go into dreams and other planes, put restrictions on what other people can and can't do, alter memories, shrink, grow, counterspell, etc. etc.. Fair enough. I just wanted to comment that one power can still be versatile.

Q99
Yea, he is very versatile for an energy blaster, just IMO not enough to be one of the most of DC.

marwash22
Fair enough. I just wanted to comment that one power can still be versatile. Originally posted by Lord Feron
Flash considering that esse4ntially he is just really hast. He has some decent versatility.

SquallX
Superman.

Blair Wind
Tech Versatile:
Green Lanterns
Blue Beetle
Engineer
Hank Henshaw

Magic Versatile:
Black Alice
Zatanna
Enchantress
Nightshade
Faust

Power Versatile:
Firestorm
Martian Manhunter
Element Lad
Captain Atom
Duplicate Boy

Hard to pick just one overarching character but my vote goes to either Black Alice or Duplicate Boy.

marwash22
Mordru. i remember reading a bio once and under power/abilities, it said, "anything" laughing out loud

Originally posted by Blair Wind
Tech Versatile:
Green Lanterns
Blue Beetle
Engineer
Hank Henshaw Aztek

JakeTheBank
Jakeem Thunder w/Thunderbolt

Supermutant
Originally posted by Q99 Most of those are just 'shoot lots of energy,' though, plus illusion. Make a sun, shoot heat, blind someone, and amp a kryptonian is just a matter of where the power's dialed. Stargirl can do all of that except 'make a sun,' and only that because she lacks the omph.
lol yeah if you just ignore everything else I mentioned.
Flash Level speed
'shoot lots of energy'- how about turn entire body into fire equaling the heat of a few suns
http://img19.photobucket.com/albums/v58/Desaad/f0be5fdd.jpg
like a said before dude can rearrange matter on top of being a faster than light brick with who can absorb energy and redirect it like so
http://img19.photobucket.com/albums/v58/Desaad/Takion7-17.jpg
cool He can do everything Supes can minus freeze breath plus more.
When has Stargirl moved at ftl speed, turn total body into fire, and redirect the source energy of an Elemental? That's the worst comparison every.

Q99
Originally posted by Supermutant
lol yeah if you just ignore everything else I mentioned.
Flash Level speed
'shoot lots of energy'- how about turn entire body into fire equaling the heat of a few suns

Sorry, setting oneself on fire isn't much in the versatility department. It's just what he normally does- projects energy, even more so.

For utility, what does raising the heat to the level of a few suns let him do, in practical terms? As far as I can tell, it just lets him deliver destructive power to a target.

'Another way to blast stuff' doesn't add much to a characters versatility, no matter how badass it is.

What 'rearrange matter' feats does he have?

We talking Firestorm, or narrow uses?

Superman's only so-so in versatility, there's a dozen heroes as versatile as him and plenty that are more-so. Being a bit better than Superman doesn't make one one of the most versatile around.

You're talking about power there, but the question is purely versatility.

Stargirl hasn't done that stuff, or even close, but it's a matter of amount, not type of power. She creates energy, absorbs and redirects energy, flies, etc., as well as stuff like forcefields and TK and superstrength and toughness.

4-1-Moment
Originally posted by Prep-Man
Is it a top tier Green Lantern?
Orion?
Waverider?
Who?

Top 3 if you can.

Martian Manhunter
Firestorm
Orion
Green Lanterns
Wonder Woman
Wave Rider
Takion
Superman
Eradicator

Edit: Doomsday

Sirius77
Tbh, probably the marvels. i.e Captain Marvel, Black Adam, etc.... with the wisdom of Solomon they can do a lot with their abilities.

TricksterPriest
Given that the Source is the origin of almost every super-power in the DCU, Takion is easily in the top 3 on this one. But he's way over high herald.

Do you mean versatile as in powerset, or creative usage of their powers?

Because if it's the latter, Superman. I don't think it's even a question that he's in the top 5.

Warlord
Alan Scott
Dr. Fate
Zatanna
Firestorm
Martian Manhunter

No real order.

this

Prep-Man
Originally posted by TricksterPriest
Given that the Source is the origin of almost every super-power in the DCU, Takion is easily in the top 3 on this one. But he's way over high herald.

Do you mean versatile as in powerset, or creative usage of their powers?

Because if it's the latter, Superman. I don't think it's even a question that he's in the top 5.

Powerset.

aztec
It wouldn't be fair to include trans or skyfather characters which I consider most mages to be given their nature. Sure, many of them have limitations but they can amp giving the time and preperation. Also, anyone using artifacts or arsenal shouldn't be included (Orion). I'm going to limit my list to High Heralds:

Green Lanterns
Firestorm
Maxima
Martian

Q99
Ok, here's one: Motherboxes. They're alive, they can do almost *anything* (when they actually want to)....

Originally posted by Sirius77
Tbh, probably the marvels. i.e Captain Marvel, Black Adam, etc.... with the wisdom of Solomon they can do a lot with their abilities.

Not... all that much. They have cool tricks with what they've got, but they're bricks with specific lightning powers. Kryptonians beat them out.

rotiart
The S on the chest shows up in just about very dc comic... How's that for versatility?

Lol.
If you go with overall history
The guy developed tvo... At one point had electromagnetic powers etc etc...

JakeTheBank
They aren't the most versatile, but way more versatile than what people initially think. They possess the ability to alter and change weather patterns, can provide raw magical source for spells, can summon appratus such as deep space equipment, can alter their form with the Shazam spell, can amp or occasionally throw lightning bolts, possess an extreme wealth of knowledge instantly for their gratification, etc. A lot more than flight, superstrength, invulnerability, and speed.

Q99
They aren't the most versatile, but way more versatile than what people initially think. They possess the ability to alter and change weather patterns, can provide raw magical source for spells, can summon appratus such as deep space equipment, can alter their form with the Shazam spell, can amp or occasionally throw lightning bolts, possess an extreme wealth of knowledge instantly for their gratification, etc. A lot more than flight, superstrength, invulnerability, and speed.

Yes, they have more than people think, but I'd still put them below, or at most at, Kryptonians.

aztec
Originally posted by Q99
Ok, here's one: Motherboxes. They're alive, they can do almost *anything* (when they actually want to)....

Although, I agree with your statement. I wouldn't include motherboxes. In my opinion, versatility comes from within the characters own powerset (Exluding Green Lantern).

aztec

I guess I need to read more on Captain Marvel. He actually sounds interesting. stick out tongue

JakeTheBank
Originally posted by Q99
Yes, they have more than people think, but I'd still put them below, or at most at, Kryptonians.

Honestly, if they're below Kryptonians, it wouldn't really be by a huge margin. Kryptonians have the extra-sensory powers and vision powersets, and Marvel possess enhanced senses - enough to hear sweatdrops, apparently - as well as their psychological powers.

In a fight, Superman boasts more versatility than Marvel, but on the whole, not by a massive degree, imo.

Q99
Yes, but I don't put Kryptonians at the top either, so 'near kryptonians' IMO doesn't get them on the list smile

Originally posted by aztec
Although, I agree with your statement. I wouldn't include motherboxes. In my opinion, versatility comes from within the characters own powerset (Exluding Green Lantern).

That's why I say the motherboxes themselves, rather than the holders of MBs smile They're living things, after all.

Ironically, they tend not to add all that much versatility to the wielder. Generally they help in the person's specialty, and providing boom tubes and healing, and that's about it 90% of the time. But the same motherbox'll do 20 different things when you hand it to 20 different characters, and a few characters use them a lot more than most, like Mr. Miracle.

batdude123
As far as top tiers go:

Green Lantern(s)
Firestorm
Captain Atom

And Superman has showcased more versatility throughout his history than Marvel.

aztec
Originally posted by Q99
Yes, but I don't put Kryptonians at the top either, so 'near kryptonians' IMO doesn't get them on the list smile

That's why I say the motherboxes themselves, rather than the holders of MBs smile They're living things, after all.

Ironically, they tend not to add all that much versatility to the wielder. Generally they help in the person's specialty, and providing boom tubes and healing, and that's about it 90% of the time. But the same motherbox'll do 20 different things when you hand it to 20 different characters, and a few characters use them a lot more than most, like Mr. Miracle.

Mmm, very interesting. I've always considered Motherboxes to be versatile, but never understood them quite well until you described them. So basically what your saying is that they amp the characters abilities?

The first thing that comes to mind when I think of Motherboxes is Granny Goodness in the "Rock of Ages" story arc by Grant Morrison. Her life essense, or something like that was one with the motherbox.

mythbuster101
Maxima and Martian Manhunter have more powers than a full team of Xmen.

-Pr-
Originally posted by batdude123
As far as top tiers go:

Green Lantern(s)
Firestorm
Captain Atom

And Superman has showcased more versatility throughout his history than Marvel.

thumb up

Q99
Originally posted by aztec
Mmm, very interesting. I've always considered Motherboxes to be versatile, but never understood them quite well until you described them. So basically what your saying is that they amp the characters abilities?

It can amp, but more often it supplements.

For example, Orion's box contains his rage, masks his true harsher appearance as Darkseid's son, and help increase his healing ability when hurt (as well as often doing various one-off tasks). When given to Oracle, it upgraded her computers and iirc gave her technopathy, and when given to Steel when he was on a planet of evil telepaths, it created a mind-shield for him so he could act without being detected.

Mr. Miracle's box helps him plan his escapes and run the various gadgets he caries. The Tomorrow People used their box to harness their powers to summon Infinity Man, as well as a variety of utilitarian one-off purposes. At one point when Shazam was on New Genesis, Captain Marvel was given one so he could access Shazam's lightning despite being in a different dimension.

And any Motherbox could do any of that and more (though not at once. Versatility is much higher than multi-tasking).
In short, they do what is needed for their holder.

Ah yes, that would be the "Grandmother Box". Rather atypical, true Motherboxes are universally good.

Similarly, there's a Fatherbox Darkseid made as a darker copy to a motherbox, and another unrelated Fatherbox that is one of the seven treasures left to Earth's first superheroes by New Genesis. Iirc, that fatherbox gave a girl Zatanna-like powers.

Mindset
Have I already said Kyle in this thread?

TricksterPriest
The fatherbox that is one of the seven treasures, is from Seven Soldiers. And it confirms long term new god involvement in mankind's development.

Which explains why Darkseid gave North America to the Sheeda in exchange for Aurakles, who he used to get Shilo Norman.

Prep-Man
The Genesis Box jump started the universe as well. Created by Orion.

optic_blast!!!
without any doubt or question superman 1 million (kal kent) is the most versatile in DC universe, he is basically PC superman on steroids he is a telepath has telekinesis matter manipulation he has 5 dimension being powers he can manipulate energy force fields turn himself to pure energy he controls ESP he basically got any power you want and is limited to his will power as we see him almost dying having no power left and still breaking the time barrier 853 centeries into the future which was stated as impossible for anyone

BattleMage
AMAZO

Konton
Originally posted by optic_blast!!!
without any doubt or question superman 1 million (kal kent) is the most versatile in DC universe, he is basically PC superman on steroids he is a telepath has telekinesis matter manipulation he has 5 dimension being powers he can manipulate energy force fields turn himself to pure energy he controls ESP he basically got any power you want and is limited to his will power as we see him almost dying having no power left and still breaking the time barrier 853 centeries into the future which was stated as impossible for anyone

That is the longest run-on sentence I've ever seen.

Existere
holy shit.

use a period.

optic_blast!!!
oh give me some break i broke it down after "the most versatile in dc universe" YOU JERKS sad

Existere
Originally posted by optic_blast!!!
oh give me some break i broke it down after "the most versatile in dc universe" YOU JERKS sad ...you used a comma?

celeyhyga17
Alan Scott
Firestorm
Hal/Kyle

Batman-Prime
BatGod!

big grin

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.