Gladiator versus Captain Marvel

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

JakeTheBank
Kallark takes on the World's Mightiest Mortal (Batson).

Jobbing & PIS off.

Confidence is not an issue for Gladiator; Marvel is not sharing his power with CM3 or Mary.

TricksterPriest
SHAZAM! thumb up

Prep-Man
Good battle. I think Billy would take the majority.

carver9
Good fight. Gladiator weakness to magic can be an issue in this fight.

Captain Marvel 6/10.

SuperiorTech
Originally posted by carver9

Captain Marvel 6/10.

Wait did he always have a weakness when it came to magic or is this recent?

JakeTheBank

Captain Marvel 6/10.

Magic is the deciding factor here for you, then, Carv? And what magic weakness has Glads displayed?

-Pr-
Billy wins imo.

Newjak
Capt Marvel 6-6.5/10

carver9
Originally posted by JakeTheBank
Magic is the deciding factor here for you, then, Carv? And what magic weakness has Glads displayed?

Yep, its the deciding factor.

I would say Masterson blast in the back is proof but thas going to start up a argument that I just don't feel like debating.

As for the question. He was recently stabbed through the stomach with a magic blade... then it was outright stated on panel that he is vulnerable to magic.

Here ya go. Then he also got his arm broke by a magical being. From what I know of the character, it has always been stated that magic could subdue him.

Captain Marvel consistently charge his fist throughout battle. He WILL hurt Gladiator and would most likely drop him. Magic is the reason I give Thor 7 or 8/10 against Gladiator.

http://f.imagehost.org/view/0686/06_5

carver9
Originally posted by -Pr-
Billy wins imo.

Reported for lying.

-Pr-
Reported for lying.

Well, Billy's stronger, more durable, and he has magic.

ankur29

CM wins because of magic.
they are peers physically just like CM and Superman i.e durability ,strength.
gladiator is faster but not enough to make a difference in a brawl

carver9

Omg... can you please stop that.

-Pr-
Omg... can you please stop that.

What? The truth hurts, Carver, and I'm almost sorry I have to hit you with it.

carver9
What? The truth hurts, Carver, and I'm almost sorry I have to hit you with it.

Pr... its not the truth and I don't think you should say that until "after" the 15th.

Newjak
I did not know Glads could be hurt by magic that much. I just thought he was like Superman and that he was simply like a normal human to it.

In that case CM take a much healthier majority probably 8-9/10.

carver9
Originally posted by Newjak
I did not know Glads could be hurt by magic that much. I just thought he was like Superman and that he was simply like a normal human to it.

In that case CM take a much healthier majority probably 8-9/10.

Naah, you are going a lil too far. After that scan, he received the Gladiator treatment which amped his abilities a hundred folds (including his durability) and then he also have an insane healing factor to compensate for this weakness. Captain Marvel CAN drop him but Cap is still fighting someone that is his physical superior.

The thing about Cap is his blunt force durability... its off the chain. Its basically almost next to impossible to drop him; hell, the guy was smiling throughout his fight with Supes in Batman/Superman and Superman was tagging him.

I would give Cap the majority but its like a 6/10 imo.

Hyperion Prime
Captain Marvel sampunchShazam sucka wins this 9/10

P.S. he would beat supes the same way

-Pr-
Pr... its not the truth and I don't think you should say that until "after" the 15th.

lol.

"the 15th", so you can show me a bunch of scans you know there's a good chance i've seen already?

Naah, you are going a lil too far. After that scan, he received the Gladiator treatment which amped his abilities a hundred folds (including his durability) and then he also have an insane healing factor to compensate for this weakness. Captain Marvel CAN drop him but Cap is still fighting someone that is his physical superior.

The thing about Cap is his blunt force durability... its off the chain. Its basically almost next to impossible to drop him; hell, the guy was smiling throughout his fight with Supes in Batman/Superman and Superman was tagging him.

I would give Cap the majority but its like a 6/10 imo.

facepalm

JakeTheBank
Based on what is Gladiator physically superior to Captain Marvel?

Harbinger
lol.

In circles we'll go.

Nihilist
Captain Marvel 7-8/10.

praying-mantis
i like the famous marvel/superman fight when cm just kept yelling
SHAZAM! supes ears were bleeding

D-Block

Thats what i was thinking. CM wins

Don Corleone
CM for the majority.

-Pr-

Dreams. Strangely erotic dreams. biscuits

Rage.Of.Olympus
I heard Gladiator was stated to have a weakness to magic recently. If that's the case, Captain Marvel takes it about 6-8/10.

carver9

Based on feats unless you can show me Cap surviving without even feeling it a solar system destroying blast... planet crushing power, flying 100 times the speed of light, blitzing at light speed... nano second punches, snapping someone neck as powerful as hyperion, mountain tossing strength... I can go on for days.

You can't show me any of this so how are you going to say that Capt is more powerful?

carver9
Originally posted by Rage.Of.Olympus
I heard Gladiator was stated to have a weakness to magic recently. If that's the case, Captain Marvel takes it about 6-8/10.

He has "always" had a weakness to magic.

-Pr-
Based on feats unless you can show me Cap surviving without even feeling it a solar system destroying blast... planet crushing power, flying 100 times the speed of light, blitzing at light speed... nano second punches, snapping someone neck as powerful as hyperion, mountain tossing strength... I can go on for days.

You can't show me any of this so how are you going to say that Capt is more powerful?

Are these "feats" of yours, going to be included in your big post tomorrow?

carver9
Are these "feats" of yours, going to be included in your big post tomorrow?

Lol... Possibly.

-Pr-
Lol... Possibly.

I just hope you post actual feats this time...

Rage.Of.Olympus
He has "always" had a weakness to magic.

Really? Scan or reference?

carver9
I just hope you post actual feats this time...

I "always" present scans... that's my specialty.

Can I include the hyper speed feat (fantastic four)? big grin

carver9
Originally posted by Rage.Of.Olympus
Really? Scan or reference?

I already provided a scan on the previous page.

As for the "always" comment, it was referenced in "all" of his bios.

Rage.Of.Olympus
I already provided a scan on the previous page.

As for the "always" comment, it was referenced in "all" of his bios.

And that was extremely recent. I cannot recall magic ever being referenced as some sort of weakness for Gladiator before that -online- comic.

Really? I only recall it being mentioned in the latest bio.

Mindset
Magic is a weakness for all strontians or just Glads?

Ok, just checked, apparently it's a weakness for the race, but Glads has a resistance to it that the others didn't.

Don Corleone
It was stated his confidence did not decrease with magical attacks. Thus he's able to sustain it. Not sure to what degree he'd be able to take it.

Mindset
Originally posted by Don Corleone
It was stated his confidence did not decrease with magical attacks. Thus he's able to sustain it. thumb up

Don Corleone
I'll post the scan, have to go look through many files.

Don Corleone
Here, now stop bothering me!

http://img231.imageshack.us/img231/9330/warofkingswarriors01pg0.th.jpg

Daredevil1
Originally posted by Don Corleone
Thus he's able to sustain it. Not sure to what degree he'd be able to take it.

Well according to the Gladiator scan. Not very well, its not like he no sold that magical attack. As he looks hurt from it.

-Pr-
I "always" present scans... that's my specialty.

Can I include the hyper speed feat (fantastic four)? big grin

ermm

your "specialty" is hyping marvel "feats" while lowballing dc ones.

So it's the 15th... Where are these feats?

leonidas
cm ftw.

carver9
ermm

your "specialty" is hyping marvel "feats" while lowballing dc ones.

So it's the 15th... Where are these feats?

Tonight.... I am going to purchase me a new laptop and upload my scans.

I don't lowball DC. When was the last time I low balled anyone?

-Pr-
Tonight.... I am going to purchase me a new laptop and upload my scans.

I don't lowball DC. When was the last time I low balled anyone?

Today, you lowballed Superman.

So what kind of laptop are you buying?

carver9
Originally posted by Daredevil1
Well according to the Gladiator scan. Not very well, its not like he no sold that magical attack. As he looks hurt from it.

Well, he wasn't as powerful as he is now. Back then he didn't go through the Gladiator treatment... he was just a regular Superman but since his durability was increased, he should be able to take it. I don't think he would last to long against Cap type of magic.

carver9
Today, you lowballed Superman.

So what kind of laptop are you buying?

Huh? When did I lowball Supes?

I dnt know what kind I'm getting yet, just looking around.

Do you have any good ideas of a good laptop?

carver9
Wait...

I know what you are talking about Pr. The moon busting feat. I didn't use that "against" Supes. I just agreed with Diamond about if it was Hulk or Glads.

-Pr-
Huh? When did I lowball Supes?

I dnt know what kind I'm getting yet, just looking around.

Do you have any good ideas of a good laptop?

I trust Toshiba, Samsung or HP.

iceman24567
Toshiba is win

carver9
That's what I am going with then.

Thanks

Don Corleone
Originally posted by iceman24567
Toshiba is win

I have the Tecra. That thing is a downloading monster!

-Pr-
I had a Toshiba X200 for a while. Even with a not so great graphics card, it still worked on a lot of great newer games decently.

TricksterPriest
Get an ibook. Macs are far more reliable.

Also, if you're going to talk durability, I would think Billy's feat of tanking the tesseract bomb from the void hound tops Gladiator's best.

-Pr-
Originally posted by TricksterPriest
Get an ibook. Macs are far more reliable.

Also, if you're going to talk durability, I would think Billy's feat of tanking the tesseract bomb from the void hound tops Gladiator's best.

lol @ macs.

aztec
Billy uses Kallark's mohawk to whip his hands.

leonidas
so, where is this 'big post' you kept hinting at carv...? shifty

anyway, this is still a great battle, cm for a small majority. what if it were nu cap?

Golgo13
Captain marvel can create ping pong tables from his magical lightning now. He wins at least 7/10.

zopzop
Originally posted by leonidas
anyway, this is still a great battle, cm for a small majority. what if it were nu cap?
thumb up

Stoic
Gladiator could burn CM's eyes closed with his laser vision. Or burn his eyeballs right out of his head.

carver9
I would give this fight the same results i would give a fight between Captain Marvel and Supes...Cap a small majority. @Leo...I posted this fts in another thread an hour after that post.

zopzop
Originally posted by Stoic
Gladiator could burn CM's eyes closed with his laser vision. Or burn his eyeballs right out of his head.
I can actually see this happening. I can also see CM hurting Glads with magical lightening. Like Leo said, this is a close fight that can go either way.
I would give this fight the same results i would give a fight between Captain Marvel and Supes...Cap a small majority. @Leo...I posted this fts in another thread an hour after that post.
I wouldn't. Superman is CM and Gladiator's superior in every way.

Stoic
Originally posted by zopzop
I can actually see this happening. I can also see CM hurting Glads with magical lightening. Like Leo said, this is a close fight that can go either way.

I wouldn't. Superman is CM and Gladiator's superior in every way.

Yep

carver9
All of us have different opinions which is a good thing. Keeps the forum running.

Insane Titan
Cap wins ,Glads can't really handle big hitters.

zopzop
Originally posted by Insane Titan
Cap wins ,Glads can't really handle big hitters.
Cap isn't really a big hitter though. sad

Insane Titan
Originally posted by zopzop
Cap isn't really a big hitter though. sad compared to Gladiator he is.

Stoic
All of us have different opinions which is a good thing. Keeps the forum running.

Opinions have to make sense though. Gladiator is arguably as strong, and fast as the Cap, but he is a bit more versatile. He can see through objects, has laser vision, freeze breath which can all be used in combat. He's Cap with extra bells and whistles.

Golgo13
Gladiator can't make ping pong tables. SHAZAM!

Stoic
Originally posted by Golgo13
Gladiator can't make ping pong tables. SHAZAM!

That seems pretty useful in a battle. Gladiator's problem is that he jobs so much.

Golgo13
Billy (Pre-Flashpoint) is more durable. Has better durability feats and just as strong, IMO. Magical lightning gives him the win, IMO.

carver9
Opinions have to make sense though. Gladiator is arguably as strong, and fast as the Cap, but he is a bit more versatile. He can see through objects, has laser vision, freeze breath which can all be used in combat. He's Cap with extra bells and whistles.

Nooooo...my comment was towards Zop. Don't have any issues with anyone giving any of these two the majority.

Stoic
Billy (Pre-Flashpoint) is more durable. Has better durability feats and just as strong, IMO. Magical lightning gives him the win, IMO.

Or Gladiator can burn his less durable eyes out of their sockets with a heat that exceeds that of stars. As for the durability thing on average... I have no idea. Gladiator is pretty durable himself.

Golgo13
Billy was turned inside out by a tesseract bomb. I think he'll do fine.

Stoic
Billy was turned inside out by a tesseract bomb. I think he'll do fine.

That's one of those incalculable feats though. In combat it's taken less to put him down. I guess this is why the average is a better means of gauging a characters abilities.

Golgo13
That's one of those incalculable feats though. In combat it's taken less to put him down. I guess this is why the average is a better means of gauging a characters abilities.

Like what? Was he ever put down by heat vision?

Stoic
Like what? Was he ever put down by heat vision?

We both know that Superman would never attempt to kill. The same can not be said for Gladiator. Does this mean that gladiator lacks the ability to perform laser surgery on the Caps eyes, or slow his movement down with his freeze breath? Based on averages though in terms of win/lose ratios, I'd give the Cap a slight majority. However Gladiator still holds the advantage in terms of versatility. It could go either way IMO.

Golgo13
We both know that Superman would never attempt to kill. The same can not be said for Gladiator. Does this mean that gladiator lacks the ability to perform laser surgery on the Caps eyes, or slow his movement down with his freeze breath? Based on averages though in terms of win/lose ratios, I'd give the Cap a slight majority. However Gladiator still holds the advantage in terms of versatility. It could go either way IMO.

What's his versatility? SHAZAM'S lighting has done many things and it looks like he can do minor reality warping feats. DCnU Cap is still an unknown, though.

Stoic
What's his versatility? SHAZAM'S lighting has done many things and it looks like he can do minor reality warping feats. DCnU Cap is still an unknown, though.

Well do you think his magic tricks are faster than Gladiator's laser vision? Gladiator has telescopic vision, super senses, freeze breath, x-ray vision. Wouldn't it be difficult to do magic tricks in the midst of a battle with a guy arguably as fast as he is? I was under the impression that gladiator's abilities were more useful, or practical in combat. They can both vibrate through objects, their speed is about on par, strength as well. I just can't see how Cap would be unaffected by being blasted in the eyes with that much heat, or be able to go unaffected by freeze breath. Surely it would slow him down? Gladiator's problem is his jobbing or win/lose ratio.

Golgo13
Well do you think his magic tricks are faster than Gladiator's laser vision? Gladiator has telescopic vision, super senses, freeze breath, x-ray vision. Wouldn't it be difficult to do magic tricks in the midst of a battle with a guy arguably as fast as he is? I was under the impression that gladiator's abilities were more useful, or practical in combat. They can both vibrate through objects, their speed is about on par, strength as well. I just can't see how Cap would be unaffected by being blasted in the eyes with that much heat, or be able to go unaffected by freeze breath. Surely it would slow him down? Gladiator's problem is his jobbing or win/lose ratio.

Cap can call on some of the gods for help.

- Such as the wisdom of Solomon, who has actually called upon in battle.

-He is much more durable in certain areas. For example, he can protect from mystic attacks (Spear of Destiny), which Gladiator would fail to do, IMO

- Gladiator has freeze breath? Billy can draw upon lightning from across the planet and control weather to a certain degree.

- And from the later issue of JLA, his mystic lighting can wish him minor things, although that can change as the story of him progresses.

Versatility isn't really an issue, IMO. Both can do things the other can't.

Stoic
Cap can call on some of the gods for help.

- Such as the wisdom of Solomon, who has actually called upon in battle.

-He is much more durable in certain areas. For example, he can protect from mystic attacks (Spear of Destiny), which Gladiator would fail to do, IMO

- Gladiator has freeze breath? Billy can draw upon lightning from across the planet and control weather to a certain degree.

- And from the later issue of JLA, his mystic lighting can wish him minor things, although that can change as the story of him progresses.

Versatility isn't really an issue, IMO. Both can do things the other can't.

How would he call on the wisdom of Solomon when he would be fighting a guy that moves at ftl speeds? Doesn't seem practical. Gladiator would have to stand there while he has this session wouldn't he?

You also seem to keep drawing feats from the DCU Cap, and his DCNU counterpart.

Either way, neither of these guys are sweeping the other. It could go either way.

Golgo13
Too bad he hardly fights that way. One bolt to the head would do.

quanchi112
Gladiator wins.

abhilegend
Cap beats the shit out of Gladiator.

ODG
It's pre-reboot Captain Marvel's fight to lose. 7/10.

LordofBrooklyn
Originally posted by quanchi112
Gladiator wins.

Not based on his canon obviously.

What are you using to give him the victory?

leonidas
for some reason cm doesn't get all that much respect on the forum. i recall a mini series where billy had to use superman's body to fight someone and supes was stunned at just how much power billy called down. i mean the guy has had a couple great battles with supes, dealt with his heat vision, matched him in battles of strength....he even raced down flash once in justice i think....? (can never recall if that's canon...) he is NOT superman, despite all that but he is not far off--closer than any of the marvel homages imo. i guess if he really needed to he could amp his stats with the power of zeus as well. something he rarely does and i've never understood why he doesn't do that more. his lightning is also very versatile--and fast.

cap is a beast and for some reason i always feel like he doesn't have the respect he deserves.

krisblaze
Simply because he doesn't have a boatload of appearances.

He just hasn't been around that much in post-crisis/preboot days.

leonidas
yeah, he was never very popular. maybe too much cornball, not enough grit? i've always loved his powerset, and it has sooooooooo much potential for cool feats and stories. i guess it's tough for kids today to relate to someone nick-named the big red cheese who battles someone who looks and talks like sivana. but they evolved superman. not sure why they have never been able to make cm work in today's age. some great writer needs to grab him and use his potential, put him through some definitive, enter-the-new-age storyline. he could be so great.... imo more potential to grow and develop than any character in either company.

krisblaze
I always thought he was a great character, though I always disliked the weakness of having to "change back" when saying Shazam unless he dodges the lightning or something. Then again I dislike most of DC's "gimmicky" weaknesses. It's very true that CA's always been more lighthearted. I love it, but it hasn't really been what DC's been going for.

As far as his few appearances, there's also the fact that he's almost always sharing his power.

And then there's the fact that he sort of "ascended" into wizardhood, which doesn't apply to "standard" Captain Marvel.

leonidas
yeah, i'm less thrilled about his 'magical specialty' that dc is forcing down our throats. ironically, his early stories were all about science vs magic. now, that seems totally forgotten. i've never been a big fan of the other marvels (freddy and mary, the even sillier uncles.... blah). you're right about the weakness, but even that can be overhauled if he were simply shown, consistently, as being able to completely control the lightning in ways he hasn't before--like catching and throwing it for example. meh, maybe some day someone will do something really great with him. ironically, it seems black adam gets more respect.... if adam can work, so can cm.

Prof. T.C McAbe
Pre DCnU CM 6/10
DCnU CM 5/10

abhilegend
Read Thunderworld adventures Leo. That's cap marvel at his best.

**** DCNU Shazam.

leonidas
Originally posted by abhilegend

**** DCNU Shazam.

yeah, i loved it. thumb up

that was classic cm though, and while i loved it, not sure that's the kind of portrayal that will make him popular among the kids these days. i'd love to see a new, redefined cap that makes use of his full powers in new, creative ways. he could be awesome.

-K-M-
Originally posted by abhilegend

**** DCNU Shazam.

thumb up

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.