Freedom of Religion does not mean 'anything goes'

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Square Jaw
If I started a religion including ritual rape and punishment beatings I would rightly be vilified.

Yet some religions allow this and worse.

Dicuss

TacDavey
Originally posted by Square Jaw
If I started a religion including ritual rape and punishment beatings I would rightly be vilified.

Yet some religions allow this and worse.

Dicuss

What religions are you thinking of? I know of few outside of cults that practice such things.

Pinkie Pie
Discuss what? If rape is wrong or not? stick out tongue

TacDavey
Originally posted by Pinkie Pie

I was wondering that too.

ADarksideJedi
True but sometimes it is the freedom that is taking away from us.What we go by now is not what our forefathers meant.

Pinkie Pie
What do you mean? I don't follow.

ADarksideJedi
I mean alot of rules that our forefathers set for us has been changed to fit our time but I think some should not been changed.

Pinkie Pie
Yes. I just don't get what you want said in shadow of the OP topic stick out tongue Which I also don't get.

Notorious1
I can think of more than one relgion with forced marriages.

TacDavey
Originally posted by ADarksideJedi
I mean alot of rules that our forefathers set for us has been changed to fit our time but I think some should not been changed.

I'm confused as well. What changes are you talking about and how do they relate to the topic?

Notorious1
Originally posted by TacDavey
I'm confused as well. What changes are you talking about and how do they relate to the topic?

She is speaking in tongues.

ADarksideJedi
I am not I am just saying that some people choose to take the freedom of Religion from us the goverment for startings want to change the Pledge of Allience and change the words on the penny that says In God we trust.And little things like that.
Also in public schools teachers get mad at kids who pray and carry bibles around.

Pinkie Pie
Not in my school. Which is public. Nor in the previous school I was in stick out tongue We were allowed to preform rituals in that one big grin

I still don't get what you're trying to have said though. You've got something of the OP that I haven't?

ADarksideJedi
what's OP?

Pinkie Pie
Opening Post(er) smile

TacDavey
We are wondering what the fact that the government is removing God from schools and coins has to do with the topic of the thread. Which, granted, has no real topic, so I wouldn't worry too much about it. stick out tongue

The MISTER
The OP is obviously suggesting that a religion can be anything you can imagine up and it would still fall under that definition. The question is where do you draw the line and say that a particular religion will not be allowed the protection of the constitution.

If a rastafarian is smoking weed per his religion he is not safe from being arrested.

Obviously anything doesn't go already.

Digi
Originally posted by The MISTER
The OP is obviously suggesting that a religion can be anything you can imagine up and it would still fall under that definition. The question is where do you draw the line and say that a particular religion will not be allowed the protection of the constitution.

If a rastafarian is smoking weed per his religion he is not safe from being arrested.

And here I thought the OP was obviously just not thought out well. He's not making a point many of us would question. And drawing a line on religion is the same as drawing it on morality itself. But the OP doesn't frame it in those terms, it gives us a strawman example and then tells us to discuss.

srug

ADarksideJedi
Originally posted by The MISTER

Yea that is kind of what I meant.But I don't know why you keep making me repect my self so whatever. smile

Pinkie Pie
What? stick out tongue

Bicnarok
Rape pillage and mass slaughter is all in the bible to see.

TacDavey
Yea that is kind of what I meant.But I don't know why you keep making me repect my self so whatever. smile

Was that suppose to be "keep making me respect myself, so whatever?"

Because even that doesn't make sense. I'm really not trying to be mean, but you are a little hard to understand... erm

ADarksideJedi
I just said that I keep saying my point over and over again but since no one can understand it just forget it.

TacDavey
I just said that I keep saying my point over and over again but since no one can understand it just forget it.

Oh, repeat. I gottcha. I gottcha.

Deja~vu
Originally posted by Pinkie Pie

Only consensual rape. eek!

alltoomany
Originally posted by Bicnarok
Rape pillage and mass slaughter is all in the bible to see.

The Bible is stories about people's lives and the wisdom of the stories.

King Kandy
I am not I am just saying that some people choose to take the freedom of Religion from us the goverment for startings want to change the Pledge of Allience and change the words on the penny that says In God we trust.And little things like that.
Also in public schools teachers get mad at kids who pray and carry bibles around.
Um, the Founding Fathers did not write the pledge of allegiance or put that line on our money... those came long after the country had been founded.

Gibson714
Not really shocked to see a thread like this pop up. There are many intelligent debates to be had about religion and there are plenty of Atheist out there who actually dig a little deeper than the Cliff Notes version of Atheists for Dummies.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.