PSN down due to hackers

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

EvilTyrant
Your thoughts on all this

Impediment
Do you have a link?

My PSN message says that the network is undergoing maintenance.

StyleTime
It sucks. I can't download Arcana Heart 3 for the time being and I've waited so long for it.

Then again, I have a project I need to finish. Maybe it's for the best.

srankmissingnin
Originally posted by Impediment
Do you have a link?

My PSN message says that the network is undergoing maintenance.

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/116/1163299p1.html

Impediment
SHIT!!

I can't play Mortal Kombat online! I've waited all week to be able to play on my weekend alone and uninterrupted.

EvilTyrant
We sincerely regret that PlayStation Network and Qriocity services have been suspended, and we are working around the clock to bring them both back online. Our efforts to resolve this matter involve re-building our system to further strengthen our network infrastructure. Though this task is time-consuming, we decided it was worth the time necessary to provide the system with additional security.
We thank you for your patience to date and ask for a little more while we move towards completion of this project. We will continue to give you updates as they become available.

This is the latest word from the Playstation Blog

Impediment
A friend just told me that Sony is making the PSN a pay service, making the PSN down for "maintenance" as of this moment.

Thoughts?

BackFire
I doubt that, they already have a pay premium service.

Imp, I'll play MK with you whenever PSN comes back on, I've been wanting to try it online this whole time too.

Nemesis X
This is why I mostly stick with Xbox Live.

Impediment
Originally posted by BackFire
I doubt that, they already have a pay premium service.

Imp, I'll play MK with you whenever PSN comes back on, I've been wanting to try it online this whole time too.

I never knew you had a PS3. Awesome.

SpadeKing
I just got PS3 and Socom 4 yesterday disgust back to my half broken 360 & Wii

batdude123
Originally posted by Nemesis X
This is why I mostly stick with Xbox Live.

Because you like paying monthly fees?

Nemesis X
Originally posted by batdude123

At least I can play online right now. Wish I can say the same for you Sony cheapskates.

FinalAnswer
Originally posted by Nemesis X
At least I can play online right now. Wish I can say the same for you Sony cheapskates.

Ooooh, PSN has been down for not even a week. Big deal. Would prefer having the odd glitch or bug or maintenance the odd month or so then shelling out $50 I don't have every year.

And it's not like Live doesn't get maintenance.

EvilTyrant
Don't gloat about Live, it went down for a week or 2 before.

No End N Site
Originally posted by StyleTime
It sucks. I can't download Arcana Heart 3 for the time being and I've waited so long for it.

Then again, I have a project I need to finish. Maybe it's for the best.

That did come out a few days ago, didn't it?

Scythe
In b4 "PS3 has no games" jackassory.

Kazenji
Originally posted by batdude123

Thats why you pay for a year not a month....nubnuts.

Frisky Dingo
Originally posted by No End N Site

Since when did you start playing AH games? I thought you said "loli fighters" made you sick. You sounded just like the SRK morons. Did Vanguard Princes finally convert you? I said it would laughing

StyleTime
Yep. I wish it had a disc release for the American version, but at least it'll redeem the series from the garbage that was the Arcana Heart 2 port.
Originally posted by Frisky Dingo
Since when did you start playing AH games? I thought you said "loli fighters" made you sick. You sounded just like the SRK morons. Did Vanguard Princes finally convert you? I said it would laughing
You guys play Vanguard Princess? That game is awesome! eek!

I met some SRK guys a while back. It's so funny how many of them play stuff like Arcana Heart and don't want to admit it.

Loli fighters!

http://img199.imageshack.us/img199/4284/loli20resistance20fight.png

No End N Site
I don't know WTF you guys are talkin' about. I don't play those games... Originally posted by StyleTime

http://img199.imageshack.us/img199/4284/loli20resistance20fight.png ****in ridiculouslaughing laughing out loud rolling on floor laughing

Peach
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011/04/26/update-on-playstation-network-and-qriocity/

Good ****ing job, Sony.

FinalAnswer
Bah hah hah hah hah

"credit cards".

Peach
I do have mine linked to my PSN account, since I didn't want to buy a $20 network card to download a $3 game for my PSP.

Thankfully, as I just remembered, it expired last year and I never got around to updating it as my PSP's just collected dust for the past year.

FinalAnswer
Apparently, the info is no longer available to the hacker/s, since PSN has been locked down.

Stuffs.

The hacker/s had it for apparently two days though, so that's kewl.

ArtificialGlory
Oh man, Sony sucks even harder than I had previously thought.

Impediment
Muchas gracias, Sony. Pinche cabrones.

No End N Site
I'm gonna invetigate whether or not I can take legal action against Sony. If I can, I'm gonna sue the shit outta them.

It's gonna be so bad, the air is gonna stink.

ArtificialGlory
I'm gonna invetigate whether or not I can take legal action against Sony. If I can, I'm gonna sue the shit outta them.

It's gonna be so bad, the air is gonna stink.

What, really? Oh man, it'd be so awesome if you did.

No End N Site
Yup this shit is just out-right ridiculous.. I'm gonna skim over the contracts and policies to see what I can do, cuz I just got an email from Sony goin over the situation and it pretty much told me that the culprits could have obtained some very vital information on me. And to be safe, I should pretty much edit all the personal information I can.

That's alotta f**kin work. Class Action, Here I Come!

Peach
Someone beat you to it.

Mairuzu
Sooo. Should we cancel our credit cards or what

RE: Blaxican
Get a new credit card and buy a 360, so that you can pay for your online services and therefore will have a company who actually gives a shit about you. 313

FinalAnswer
Originally posted by RE: Blaxican
Get a new credit card and buy a 360, so that you can pay for your online services and therefore will have a company who actually gives a shit about you. 313

http://ingame.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2011/04/04/6408513-disgruntled-gamer-hacks-xbox-security-chiefs-account

Yeah, seems secure.

Pffft. That's just one incident. LIVE's never been just outright ****ed like PSN has. It's one thing to hack someone's account, it's another thing to bring down the whole network and rape like 3000 people's credit card.

MadMel
According to international news, it could be as many as 70,000 accounts that have been 'looked at'.

Crazy shit. I'm gonna have to look over my bank account statements over the next few weeks. erm

dadudemon
"Captain Obvious" to the rescue:

http://www.businessinsider.com/playstation-network-down-financial-impact-to-sony-minimal-2011-4

PlayStation Network Down: Financial Impact to Sony Minimal

Wait, so you mean to tell me that an outage that lasted 1/52 of the year, resulted in a minimal loss? laughing

Worst case scenario, they lost 1/52 of their online revenues. Media downloading is really low this time of year so they aren't going to even scratch the 1/52 number.

Mairuzu
Who'd a thunk

Impediment
tpgbfUPO8RU

No End N Site
Originally posted by Peach
Someone beat you to it.

May not be the 1st, but I have no problem with being 1 of many. I'm joinin that, and it's easy.

Impediment
Day 8 and the PSN is still offline.

Originally posted by dadudemon
"Captain Obvious" to the rescue:

http://www.businessinsider.com/playstation-network-down-financial-impact-to-sony-minimal-2011-4

PlayStation Network Down: Financial Impact to Sony Minimal

Wait, so you mean to tell me that an outage that lasted 1/52 of the year, resulted in a minimal loss? laughing

Worst case scenario, they lost 1/52 of their online revenues. Media downloading is really low this time of year so they aren't going to even scratch the 1/52 number. I think you've missed the point, lol. Who gives a shit about Sony?

S_D_J
Day 8 and the PSN is still offline.

They said it'll be back next Tuesday

DarkC
I wonder how fans of PS3 feel about their "free" PSN service now as opposed to the paid service of XBL Gold after this incident...

FinalAnswer
Dun really care lol. I had neither accurate private information, nor credit card info, so its only affecting me with PSN being down, which happens to both PSN and Live 131

Though it's probable Sony may implement a paid service after this debacle.

dadudemon
I think you've missed the point, lol. Who gives a shit about Sony?

Touche.

I've been thoroughly pwned. weep

KNEEL BEFORE BLAX! -froths-

Zack Fair
Originally posted by FinalAnswer
Dun really care lol. I had neither accurate private information, nor credit card info, so its only affecting me with PSN being down, which happens to both PSN and Live 131

Glad to hear your info wasn't jeopardizd but...Live has never been down for more than 1 day even when heavy maintenance is on.

FinalAnswer
Originally posted by Zack Fair
Glad to hear your info wasn't jeopardizd but...Live has never been down for more than 1 day even when heavy maintenance is on.

O rly mmm

The internet has lied to me then.

Zack Fair
O rly mmm

The internet has lied to me then.

http://www.fh.net/.images/EndOfInternet.jpg

StyleTime
laughing out loud

S_D_J
So....

PSN 'Welcome Back' Program Gives You Free Content

PSN back up this week, PlayStation Plus free for 30 days

Sounds just about right to me

FinalAnswer
Well, they seem to be earnestly trying anyway.

Juk3n
Shit happens, Japan are a couple years behind in their home gaming system architecture (No! don't argue, this is the evidence, notice how XBL has never been in danger of a catastrophic system shutdown such as this). But they try really hard and im sure next-gen, problems like this will be impossible.

Peach
Yeah, well, next time maybe they won't store customer data in plain-text so that it's much, much harder for it to be compromised.

Impediment
Free PlayStation Plus.

Woo.

Peach
Sony's security fail continues!

http://www.gamepro.com/article/news/219152/update-sony-online-entertainment-services-taken-down/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+GameProNews+%28GamePro.com+Daily+News%29

wakkawakkawakka
Honestly the only thing keeping me from getting a 360 this instance is the fact that I'm going to have to pay monthly charges for games I don't really play.

If anything, I learned from this experience that free isn't always better.

Peach
Originally posted by wakkawakkawakka
Honestly the only thing keeping me from getting a 360 this instance is the fact that I'm going to have to pay monthly charges for games I don't really play.

If anything, I learned from this experience that free isn't always better.

So then don't get Live? You're not required to have it. I only pay for mine a few months of the year, if that.

Impediment
F*ck you, Sony. F*ck you very much.

I think I'll log on so I can take off my credit card number.

Oh, wait.......

Zack Fair
Really sucks. Just when they were getting the upperhand on Microsoft--IMO.

Peach
http://n4g.com/news/755630/soe-security-update/com

Zack Fair
Jesus...

wakkawakkawakka
Okay then Sony! Still won't get a 360 just yet.

Peach: I do like to play online whenever I do play video games and I don't really like the thought of paying for it.(That's my dilemma) I honestly didn't know you didn't have to have Live sad

Peach
Well, to play with other people, then yes, you need a gold subscription. Simply to access XBL, though, you don't.

Jesus, it's like 8 dollars a month for LIVE gold. You spend more then that per month on cheeseburgers.

wakkawakkawakka
Really? Still I don't play video games pretty often so that does seem like a lot to me.

S_D_J
http://n4g.com/news/755630/soe-security-update/com

laughing

priceless!

I still prefer my PS3 over my Xbox any day

-Pr-
Good god...

http://www.businessreviewusa.com/sectors/security/sony-s-second-hack-246-more-million-users-attacked

BackFire
Actually is mind blowing how massive a screw up this really is for a company as huge and successful as Sony.

-Pr-
Originally posted by BackFire
Actually is mind blowing how massive a screw up this really is for a company as huge and successful as Sony.

Indeed.

And to think, I was really looking forward to buying a North American model and getting access to the PSONE classics.

Impediment
I still haven't played online games of Mortal Kombat or Portal 2. I don't imagine I shall for some time.

S_D_J
Originally posted by -Pr-
Good god...

http://www.businessreviewusa.com/sectors/security/sony-s-second-hack-246-more-million-users-attacked

Sony: Only 900 of our stolen credit cards were active

-Pr-
Talk about reaching for a silver lining... (Sony, not you)

S_D_J
Talk about reaching for a silver lining... (Sony, not you)

At least they're trying stick out tongue

-Pr-
Originally posted by S_D_J
At least they're trying stick out tongue

I hope they do keep at it, because I really want to buy a PS3.

ArtificialGlory
It just keeps on going...

S_D_J
Canadian money laughing

ArtificialGlory
Canadian money laughing

The Canadian dollar is higher-valued than the US dollar.

Victory for Canada! Death to Sony!

S_D_J
they say in the article it's "monopoly money" or something

I just skimmed it...

wakkawakkawakka
I'm on the verge of getting an Xbox now.

It's been almost two weeks Sony, what the hell?

FinalAnswer
Because obviously they should be able to rebuild PSN quick enough as to not upset anyone, rite?

Well, for a grade A company... yeah.

I mean, Microsoft woulda had this fixed like a week and a half ago 131, and then given everyone like a 1000 MS points as an apology. 313

FinalAnswer
Well, for a grade A company... yeah.

I mean, Microsoft woulda had this fixed like a week and a half ago 131, and then given everyone like a 1000 MS points as an apology. 313

Show scans.

wakkawakkawakka
IMO, Sony shouldn't have been hacked at all let alone like this.

Yeah! Unless PSN has a worthwile upgrade after this or some sort of payback like Blax said, then Microsoft can just pick off all the unsatisfied customers.

FinalAnswer

The Pentagon was hacked by a bunch of Chinese guys in their basements.

It's not like Sony's impenetrable ffs erm

Peach
Well, they sure as hell haven't done a good job with anything related to this at all. I mean, they didn't even admit to being hacked until days after the fact, nor did they announce that personal information had been compromised until a full week later.

S_D_J

Yeah! Unless PSN has a worthwile upgrade after this or some sort of payback like Blax said, then Microsoft can just pick off all the unsatisfied customers.

Good riddance! big grin

wakkawakkawakka
Heeey! I still haven't made any purchases yet.

I am swayed by the potential prospect of free Playstation Plus

AsbestosFlaygon
What's up with Sony man?
Never again will I use PSN for online gaming, unless they find a way to compensate all of the damages they have caused my life this past week.

Guess I'll have to renew my Live subscription for on-line multiplayer battles.

Bluesteel
heh people... I mean Sony could possibly also have put this thing back up weeks ago, but they are trying to make sure it NEVER happens again. What part of this don't people understand. Perhaps youd like to have PSN down every 5 weeks for maybe 10 days at a time. Yes that would be good... idiots.

and besides people talk like its the end of their life.. use this time to do other thins suckas!

Zack Fair
You sound like a mad sony fanboy.

General Kaliero
Originally posted by Bluesteel
heh people... I mean Sony could possibly also have put this thing back up weeks ago, but they are trying to make sure it NEVER happens again. What part of this don't people understand. Perhaps youd like to have PSN down every 5 weeks for maybe 10 days at a time. Yes that would be good... idiots.

and besides people talk like its the end of their life.. use this time to do other thins suckas!
The point is not PSN currently being down. The point is that a major corporation of Sony's stature should have never allowed such a situation to happen at all.

FinalAnswer
Originally posted by AsbestosFlaygon
Never again will I use PSN for online gaming, unless they find a way to compensate all of the damages they have caused my life this past week.

Ahahahahahahahahahahahaha

-Pr-
http://kotaku.com/#!5799422/sony-europe-plans-to-make-good-on-psn-downtime-with-free-ps3-and-psp-games

Bluesteel
Zack. Im mad now? how am I mad? I just don't understand that people get frustruated by a consoles internet capabilities being down for a few weeks. Its not like its anything to worry about. Life will go on as it always has, its not like peoples lives will take a turn for the worse or anything, so chill everything is fine. If you are getting mad or upset about a small thing such as PSN working or not, then I think you need to seek help. Really.

Originally posted by General Kaliero
The point is not PSN currently being down. The point is that a major corporation of Sony's stature should have never allowed such a situation to happen at all.

Oh ok, that makes sense. Thats like saying that a major corporation like Microsoft, should never have allowed the countless and I mean COUNTLESS situations happen, where hackers hack the Windows operating system.

Zack Fair
Zack. Im mad now? how am I mad? I just don't understand that people get frustruated by a consoles internet capabilities being down for a few weeks. Its not like its anything to worry about. Life will go on as it always has, its not like peoples lives will take a turn for the worse or anything, so chill everything is fine. If you are getting mad or upset about a small thing such as PSN working or not, then I think you need to seek help. Really.

Hey people will complain and whine about everything so don't be so surprised/shocked/upset when they do exactly that specially when they have a reason.

Oh ok, that makes sense. Thats like saying that a major corporation like Microsoft, should never have allowed the countless and I mean COUNTLESS situations happen, where hackers hack the Windows operating system.

Yeah Microsoft sucks and everyone complains, whines and gives them hell about it. It is Sony's turn now.

S_D_J
http://kotaku.com/#!5799422/sony-europe-plans-to-make-good-on-psn-downtime-with-free-ps3-and-psp-games

I want this!!!

F*ck Europe

the pain and psychological trauma of not being able to play online is excruciating, so give me this SCEA and I'll be mildly fine

roll eyes (sarcastic)

I am big SONY fanboy, but even I have to admit they f***ed up royally... and after all the sh/t they pull trying to go after geohotz and asking google and other sites for ip addresses of anyone who even looked at the jailbreak code, which was a really dick move, they kinda deserved this whole mess... just kind of no expression

Ridley_Prime
Yeah, was thinkin' that as well, sadly. Well-earned karma for Sony I guess. Can't help but be amused though at how quick some people are to "change sides" here. I was expecting most to stick with the company through thick and through thin, having that ultimate fanboy loyalty and what not, no matter what happens. awesome

S_D_J

I still prefer my PS3 over my Xbox any day

And I stand by it!

Ridley_Prime
So do you even use the latter for anything? I guess you don't have as much a choice now, as far as online's concerned. If I were to have both systems though in addition to the dust-gathering Wii, my preference would really just depend on what type of games I felt like playing.

S_D_J
My PS3 is on not only cuz of the games, but because I use it as entertainment center, Upscaled DVDs and BRs and other stuff. But currently I've only been playing PS3 exclusives (aside from SSF4 and FFXIII) so that's a big reason why the 360 has been gathering dust.

there's also online (which isn't much of a excuse right now big grin ) I only paid for 3 LIVE months, and since I don't play much online, I thought I didn't need it, I get all I need being able to access the marketplace. But since PSN is free so far, I don't mind multiplayer once in a while.

I'm a trophy whore as well, so there's that. Trophies are much better than Achievements IMO

Besides Gears of War 3, there isn't much to look forward on 360 for me. I grew to hate HALO, so after HALO3 i skipped the franchise entirely... the last Exclusive I got for 360 was Alan Wake, and even I didn't finish that one because I preferred to play Heavy Rain erm (my backlog is full of great titles, I guess)

I'm a Playstation fanboy, I will always prefer anything SONY over any other company, but I'm also a gamer, that's why I own all 3 consoles, being able to play exclusives is great... and is also great to pick the best version as well (some games look better on one console than the other)

My Wii hasn't been touched since DKCR (great game!)... at least I've played MK on 360 no expression

FinalAnswer
I typed this on my PS3.

S_D_J
My PS3 is to busy with GTA4 at the moment to care about the internetz, let alone type anything stick out tongue

Back on topic:

PSN still not up, Sony no longer sure when it will be

Ridley_Prime
My PS3 is on not only cuz of the games, but because I use it as entertainment center, Upscaled DVDs and BRs and other stuff. But currently I've only been playing PS3 exclusives (aside from SSF4 and FFXIII) so that's a big reason why the 360 has been gathering dust.

there's also online (which isn't much of a excuse right now big grin ) I only paid for 3 LIVE months, and since I don't play much online, I thought I didn't need it, I get all I need being able to access the marketplace. But since PSN is free so far, I don't mind multiplayer once in a while.

I'm a trophy whore as well, so there's that. Trophies are much better than Achievements IMO

Besides Gears of War 3, there isn't much to look forward on 360 for me. I grew to hate HALO, so after HALO3 i skipped the franchise entirely... the last Exclusive I got for 360 was Alan Wake, and even I didn't finish that one because I preferred to play Heavy Rain erm (my backlog is full of great titles, I guess)

I'm a Playstation fanboy, I will always prefer anything SONY over any other company, but I'm also a gamer, that's why I own all 3 consoles, being able to play exclusives is great... and is also great to pick the best version as well (some games look better on one console than the other)

My Wii hasn't been touched since DKCR (great game!)... at least I've played MK on 360 no expression
I guess that's understandable, though I've already had a couple blu-ray players, so I wouldn't need a system for that. Plus being able to watch Netflix movies with xboxlive friends in a party is much more enjoyable IMO, blu-ray quality or not.
Was initially the same way with Halo when it came to Halo 3, but Reach pretty much redeemed it, and is better than most other games in the series IMO. Gears in general is meh. Being the Mortal Kombat of shooters though as far as blood and violence, I'm probably not as into it as I should be.

How are trophies better than achievements? They're like the same thing from my understanding, just with different names.

Yeah, some games do look better on one system than the other, but usually not by much IMO (unless you're like comparing Call of Duty on the Wii to the PS3 or 360 version), so that's normally not enough for me to warrant having all the consoles just so I can have the "best version" of a particular game. That's not to say anything as far as me still getting a PS3 or not though, but my trust in Sony has been shaken due to this recent event, so I may have to wait even longer than planned to get one, and I'll probably never use my credit card on PSN if I do get it, unless they can convince me that this kind of thing somehow won't happen again.

Yeah, DKCR was the last thing I touched on the Wii as well, some months ago.

Though it's probable Sony may implement a paid service after this debacle.
Also, yeah. I can see this happening afterward, especially now...

S_D_J
I'm such a videophile, and while streaming services are quite convenient, they just can't compare to the un-compressed, artifact free beauty of an 1080p BR. It's nitpicky, but I feel unconfortable watching something in an inferior quality no expression
I barely watch anything 480p these days, just my old DVDs, and the PS3 does an amazing job upscaling the picture, something other DVD/BR players can do as well, just that I don't have to buy another machine that does the same job the PS3 does. I got my PS3 back when it was the cheapest BR player, so there's that smile

I still can access Netflix and HULU on PS3, but it's just something I don't use

Trophies are much better because they have a leveling system, rather than arbitrarily picked amounts of numbers, so you can stray for Silver or Gold trophies to get your level up much quicker than you would getting regular bronze trophies. Plus the Platinum trophies are so cool.

... but they're just worthless virtual penises anyway stick out tongue

I like Gears because of how violent and amusingly testosterone filled it is. it's something HALO lacks methinks. The Chainsaw gun never gets old big grin...

The difference in some games can be blatantly obvious, while in others is hard to see: FFXIII (which I love) looks hideous on 360, lower resolution, awfully compressed cutscenes, etc. Assassin's Creed looks great on 360, while on PS3 it has low framerate, constant screen tearing, wash out colors... I get to pick the best version erm

But is all about the exclusives, and SONY has been kicking M$ ass on that department lately.

I don't mind the whole PSN issue that much-
People should stop bitching about a free service.

Sadly, the credit card thing is a whole other issue... not as bad as it's being make out to be (since security codes were not obtained), but it's annoying and certainly doesn't inspire confidence how that sensitive data was handled.
I never used a credit card so I don't have a problem with that, and to be honest I don't expect that much reward from SONY for the downtime. The service is free anyways.
Those that have PS plus deserve much more than anyone else...

but I don't mind some free swag big grin

AsbestosFlaygon

But is all about the exclusives, and SONY has been kicking M$ ass on that department lately.
THIS is the reason why I'm still sticking with PS3.
And I agree, Heavy Rain is sooooooo much better than Alan Wake.

This issue doesn't really bother me though. PSN is a free service. As long as they keep it that way, I'm fine.

wakkawakkawakka
Sooo....is their any confirmed date as to when PSN will be up and running again?

LittleBigPlanet is occupying my time in place of online matches right now, I still would like to play against someone though.

Peach
Nope, no date when it'll be back up.

ares834
Trophies are much better because they have a leveling system, rather than arbitrarily picked amounts of numbers, so you can stray for Silver or Gold trophies to get your level up much quicker than you would getting regular bronze trophies. Plus the Platinum trophies are so cool.

? That makes no sense. Achivemnts allow the same thing, one can simply go for the ones with more points and leave the little ones aside. If anything I would say achivments are better simply because they have more than three values, however I will agree the Platinum trophies are incredibly awesome.

But it's not a free service. I paid good money for my PS3 and thus by extension for PSN which was promised with it.

It's like if I buy a computer that comes with Windows 7. Windows 7 is not a free addon I paid for it when I bought my computer.

S_D_J
Originally posted by ares834
? That makes no sense. Achivemnts allow the same thing, one can simply go for the ones with more points and leave the little ones aside. If anything I would say achivments are better simply because they have more than three values, however I will agree the Platinum trophies are incredibly awesome.

But it's not a free service. I paid good money for my PS3 and thus by extension for PSN which was promised with it.

It's like if I buy a computer that comes with Windows 7. Windows 7 is not a free addon I paid for it when I bought my computer.

Achievements don't have leveling system, you just get a tally, numbers of points next to your name and that's it, while with trophies you can get to say, level 9, just by playing a bunch of games OR you can focus on getting silver and gold trophies and achieve that same level quicker by playing less games... is an achievement within achievements (or in this case trophies) just another carrot in front of you for trophy whores like me big grin... you do feel like you're accomplishing something no expression

You bought the computer (hardware) and Windows (software) to use it with... you still have to pay for the internet service

You bought the PS3 (hardware) and the Games (software) to use it with... you still have to pay for the internet service
but you don't pay for playing online

so, yep... it's a free service

whereas:

You bought an Xbox 360 (hardware) and the games (software) to use it with... you still have to pay for the internet service AND have to pay for Live to play online... not free

Though the PSN was promised to be free... it's been free so far, but they have every rights to stop the service and start charging for it (and I pray God they don't erm )

NemeBro
Even losers get trophies.

Only winners truly achieve something.

Ridley_Prime
I'm such a videophile, and while streaming services are quite convenient, they just can't compare to the un-compressed, artifact free beauty of an 1080p BR. It's nitpicky, but I feel unconfortable watching something in an inferior quality no expression
I barely watch anything 480p these days, just my old DVDs, and the PS3 does an amazing job upscaling the picture, something other DVD/BR players can do as well, just that I don't have to buy another machine that does the same job the PS3 does. I got my PS3 back when it was the cheapest BR player, so there's that smile

I still can access Netflix and HULU on PS3, but it's just something I don't use

I like Gears because of how violent and amusingly testosterone filled it is. it's something HALO lacks methinks. The Chainsaw gun never gets old big grin...

The difference in some games can be blatantly obvious, while in others is hard to see: FFXIII (which I love) looks hideous on 360, lower resolution, awfully compressed cutscenes, etc. Assassin's Creed looks great on 360, while on PS3 it has low framerate, constant screen tearing, wash out colors... I get to pick the best version erm

I don't mind the whole PSN issue that much-
People should stop bitching about a free service.

Sadly, the credit card thing is a whole other issue... not as bad as it's being make out to be (since security codes were not obtained), but it's annoying and certainly doesn't inspire confidence how that sensitive data was handled.
I never used a credit card so I don't have a problem with that, and to be honest I don't expect that much reward from SONY for the downtime. The service is free anyways.
Those that have PS plus deserve much more than anyone else...

but I don't mind some free swag big grin
Jebus... Am glad I'm not you then as far as quality preferences/nitpickiness when it comes to movie watching.

Don't really see how Halo lacks that, but okay. Have yet to tire of energy swording people, hammering them at griffball, and other Halo goodiness. Gears is perhaps, too testosterone filled for my liking...

In my defense, I don't really play as much exclusives nowadays as I used to, as most of my current games are non-exclusive, with the exception of some 1st party Nintendo titles. Besides like God of War 3 and one other title, I don't think I would get anymore PS3 exclusives than I have 360 exclusives.

Wasn't aware anyone was bitching about the free service.

Achievements don't have leveling system, you just get a tally, numbers of points next to your name and that's it, while with trophies you can get to say, level 9, just by playing a bunch of games OR you can focus on getting silver and gold trophies and achieve that same level quicker by playing less games... is an achievement within achievements (or in this case trophies) just another carrot in front of you for trophy whores like me big grin... you do feel like you're accomplishing something no expression
Still not quite following your jump in logic there on trophies being > than achievements, especially that last comment. I feel I accomplish plenty when I'm getting cheevos, just as I do when I get a couple trophies here and there on some of my friend's PS3 games.

This issue doesn't really bother me though. PSN is a free service. As long as they keep it that way, I'm fine.
That's funny. You didn't sound so fine with it a page ago..

What's up with Sony man?

Guess I'll have to renew my Live subscription for on-line multiplayer battles.
rolling on floor laughing

ares834
You bought the computer (hardware) and Windows (software) to use it with... you still have to pay for the internet service

You bought the PS3 (hardware) and the Games (software) to use it with... you still have to pay for the internet service
but you don't pay for playing online

so, yep... it's a free service

whereas:

You bought an Xbox 360 (hardware) and the games (software) to use it with... you still have to pay for the internet service AND have to pay for Live to play online... not free

Though the PSN was promised to be free... it's been free so far, but they have every rights to stop the service and start charging for it (and I pray God they don't erm )

Not the same at all. I bought my PS3 because it has the PSN. It is a service that is provided with the system, not one that is free out of the goodness of Sony's heart. Ultimately it is no more a "free service" than being able to play games or watch movies on my system.

Peach
Not the same at all. I bought my PS3 because it has the PSN. It is a service that is provided with the system, not one that is free out of the goodness of Sony's heart. Ultimately it is no more a "free service" than being able to play games or watch movies on my system.

Well, yes, it is basically free out of the good of Sony's heart. They did not have to make the PSN at all, let alone make it free for everyone. If they decide next week that they're going to start charging for it, they are perfectly within their rights to do so and you'll have to start coughing up the money for it.

Impediment
you'll have to start coughing up the money for it.

Oh, the horror. sad

General Kaliero
Sure does suck paying a minimal fee for a well-maintained network!

S_D_J

I don't wanna sound redundant, so:

Well, yes, it is basically free out of the good of Sony's heart. They did not have to make the PSN at all, let alone make it free for everyone. If they decide next week that they're going to start charging for it, they are perfectly within their rights to do so and you'll have to start coughing up the money for it.

They have every right to discontinue the service... I think it says so in the Terms of Use Agreement... but who read those anyways? roll eyes (sarcastic)

It would be bad PR if they did, however, so instead they came up with PS+... and I hope it stays that way

Originally posted by Ridley_Prime
Jebus... Am glad I'm not you then as far as quality preferences/nitpickiness when it comes to movie watching.

Don't really see how Halo lacks that, but okay. Have yet to tire of energy swording people, hammering them at griffball, and other Halo goodiness. Gears is perhaps, too testosterone filled for my liking...

In my defense, I don't really play as much exclusives nowadays as I used to, as most of my current games are non-exclusive, with the exception of some 1st party Nintendo titles. Besides like God of War 3 and one other title, I don't think I would get anymore PS3 exclusives than I have 360 exclusives.

Wasn't aware anyone was bitching about the free service.

Still not quite following your jump in logic there on trophies being > than achievements, especially that last comment. I feel I accomplish plenty when I'm getting cheevos, just as I do when I get a couple trophies here and there on some of my friend's PS3 games.

I wasn't attacking, so you don't have to defend yourself stick out tongue

Just a matter of choice, anyways

about trophies: I'm quoting Hilary Goldstein (IGN editor-former xbox editor)

but to put this pointless argument to rest: It doesn't matter... they are worthless anyways, and if it wasn't for Achievements, there wouldn't be Trophies to begin with erm

And yes, there are a lot of people bitching about PSN being down all over the internet, and how quick they are to switch over or demand reward for a FREE service being unavailable roll eyes (sarcastic) ...

The identity/credit card theft is another issue all together. That can kick SONY in the ass... and they deserve it I guess... Karma is a *****

back on topic:

Report: Sony Dates PSN's Return
Improved security system in the works.

no expression

Mairuzu
fml. My socom 4 is just waiting

S_D_J
PSN outage to last 'at least a few more days'

Zack Fair
http://ps3.ign.com/articles/116/1168419p1.html

Making a comeback

FinalAnswer
Good

Now people can stop whining about how PSN being down has ruined their lives.

S_D_J
I keep hitting refresh on the map page and none of the states are illuminated so far

laughing

FinalAnswer
It won't even let me connect to that page because Safari says it's too busy haermm

AsbestosFlaygon
It won't even let me connect to that page because Safari says it's too busy haermm
Maybe your computer got hacked.

FinalAnswer
Maybe your computer got hacked.

I use Mac son, Macs don't get hacked uhuh

AsbestosFlaygon
Macs are also computers, and can be hacked.

Bardock42
No one bothers though.

S_D_J
Even Canada is on now
stick out tongue

haven't try it yet though, I left the firmware downloading last night and when out for drinks, now I'm out to see a movie... how much I care about PSN's return roll eyes (sarcastic)

AsbestosFlaygon
Originally posted by Bardock42
No one bothers though.
It was supposed to be a pun relating to the PSN issue.

Bardock42
It was supposed to be a pun relating to the PSN issue.

That's not a pun.

-Pr-

They're also over priced... And crap. sneer

--

glad to see the PSN is back up, though, at least in part.

Impediment
The PSN Store is still down, but online capabilities are up. I've been playing Portal 2 and MK9 online all day.

Bardock42
The PSN Store is still down, but online capabilities are up. I've been playing Portal 2 and MK9 online all day.

I've instead played on my XBox...which has not let me down and sold me out.

Zack Fair
lol

Impediment
I've instead played on my XBox...which has not let me down and sold me out.

I hope your next shit is square.

Zack Fair
crylaugh

Bardock42
I hope your next shit is square.

DON'T EVEN JOKE ABOUT THAT!

Though really, Sony screwed me over good, just when I needed it for something too...

AsbestosFlaygon

Though really, Sony screwed me over good, just when I needed it for something too...
What the heck are you talking about?

PS3 has enough good games to play offline.

Bardock42
What the heck are you talking about?

PS3 has enough good games to play offline.

I don't play games on PS3...I have a 360, duh.

I use the PS3 for decoration.

S_D_J

I use the PS3 for decoration.

Sexy black... rather than washout white big grin

so I sync up my trophies last nite... no expression

AsbestosFlaygon

Yeah, have fun playing HALO.

Bluesteel
So its finally back up, had to play Mortal Kombat 2 all day cause I let my friend borrow my MK9, so now im sitting here, PSN is back up, and I can't play. That is just great lol.

Bardock42
Yeah, have fun playing HALO.

I don't own Halo.

Smasandian
After changing my password, PSN did not work for me.

Also, when I reset my password, no email was sent to me.

Gosh darn it.

Ridley_Prime
Knew at least someone would have that problem.

Well I guess now my only question/concern is if they've really made good enough preventive measures to counteract something like that from happening again... mmm

S_D_J
Sony Reveals its "Welcome Back" Content
Get ready for a generous selection of freebies.

They shouldn't have... really

but free LBP and InFamous... don't mind if I do big grin

S_D_J
missed the edit window

anyway

that isn't all that's free:

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011/05/16/details-for-playstation-network-and-qriocity-customer-appreciation-program-in-north-america/

Yay! free Home items 131

Impediment
Free virtual furniture for a lame ass virtual world. no expression

I already own Infamous and LittleBigPlanet, the rest of those free titles I couldn't care less about.

Free video rentals? I already have Netflix.

This is such a f*cking slap in the face to me.

Thanks a lot, Sony.

Nephthys
Would you like some cheese with that whine?

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>