Actual Power vs Potential Power

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

leonidas
so, i was wondering--which character do you think can be portrayed to be a LOT more than they are if only the writer would use more imagination, or maybe if they were simply more popular? really i'm looking at character's with cool powersets that don't use them fully for whatever reason (not pis, just maybe because their powerset hasn't been fully explored.) any meta level guys you can think of who based on proper power-usage could make a big jump?

batdude123
Captain Atom.

SamZED
Electro comes to mind. Also Raven.

Uriel005
Flash, Iceman, Storm, Franklin Richards, Dr. Fate, Zantanna, Hyperstorm to name a few

inimalist
The transhuman side of Iron-Man.

Colossus-Big C
Originally posted by leonidas
so, i was wondering--which character do you think can be portrayed to be a LOT more than they are if only the writer would use more imagination, or maybe if they were simply more popular? really i'm looking at character's with cool powersets that don't use them fully for whatever reason (not pis, just maybe because their powerset hasn't been fully explored.) any meta level guys you can think of who based on proper power-usage could make a big jump? Captain Marvel, if he was as popular as superman he would clearly be shown to be more powerful than Superman ,which is how it should be anyways

celeyhyga17
Originally posted by batdude123
Captain Atom.

Vulcan
Captain Atom

SamZED
Originally posted by Colossus-Big C
Captain Marvel, if he was as popular as superman he would clearly be shown to be more powerful than Superman ,which is how it should be anyways Agreed.

Hyperion Prime
Captain Marvel, if he was as popular as superman he would clearly be shown to be more powerful than Superman ,which is how it should be anyways

Captain Marvel>Superman they are just afraid to show it!!!!!

psycho gundam
so, i was wondering--which character do you think can be portrayed to be a LOT more than they are if only the writer would use more imagination, or maybe if they were simply more popular? really i'm looking at character's with cool powersets that don't use them fully for whatever reason (not pis, just maybe because their powerset hasn't been fully explored.) any meta level guys you can think of who based on proper power-usage could make a big jump? all of them

every. last. one. of. them.

leonidas
storm was one i was considering as well. some of the other ones are all right, but marvel and atom are ALREADY uber. i'm talking lower tiers who could advance. i actually always thought an older character--skids--was cool and her power of forcefields could easily be explored further ala sue storm but with the different qualities it could be even better maybe.

Q99
Rogue. They occasionally show her cutting loose, but the proper tactic for almost every X-fight should be 'have everyone let rogue drain a little of your power, then obliterate the enemy with truly sick power combos.'

batdude123
storm was one i was considering as well. some of the other ones are all right, but marvel and atom are ALREADY uber. i'm talking lower tiers who could advance. i actually always thought an older character--skids--was cool and her power of forcefields could easily be explored further ala sue storm but with the different qualities it could be even better maybe.

But we've seen that at his full potential, Atom was creating and destroying universes on a whim. So being just a "top tier" is a pretty big step down.

carver9
Captain Marvel, if he was as popular as superman he would clearly be shown to be more powerful than Superman ,which is how it should be anyways

Aree 100%. During their scuffles, its pretty much shows Cap as his superior.

leonidas
Originally posted by batdude123
But we've seen that at his full potential, Atom was creating and destroying universes on a whim. So being just a "top tier" is a pretty big step down.

fair nuff. now stop hugging on atom and think of someone more original.

leonidas
oh, and metamorpho would fit this bill nicely.....

batdude123
fair nuff. now stop hugging on atom and think of someone more original.

Originally posted by psycho gundam
all of them

Hyperion Prime
so, i was wondering--which character do you think can be portrayed to be a LOT more than they are if only the writer would use more imagination, or maybe if they were simply more popular? really i'm looking at character's with cool powersets that don't use them fully for whatever reason (not pis, just maybe because their powerset hasn't been fully explored.) any meta level guys you can think of who based on proper power-usage could make a big jump?

I would love to see the absorbing man actually fight full potential.

dmills
Edit

MetalIsDead
Nightcrawler

Q99
Originally posted by Hyperion Prime
I would love to see the absorbing man actually fight full potential.

Amazing Man's in the same boat, and that guy doesn't have dumb as a character trait.

Black bolt z
Every Omega level mutant ever.

leonidas
Originally posted by MetalIsDead
Nightcrawler

really? how so? blink otoh....

absorbing man is a good one. earth x AM was a beast.

Hyperion Prime
Originally posted by Q99
Amazing Man's in the same boat, and that guy doesn't have dumb as a character trait.

Just looked him up. He should be in the same league as the Absorbing man.

plastic man could be better used

Hyperion Prime

absorbing man is a good one. earth x AM was a beast.

The sad thing about the absorbing man is all he has to do is break into a jewlery store and get a peace of diamond. He would be pretty tough. From there in his diamond form he could find a peace of adamantium.

Hell I have seen him absorb electricity......guy is just a waste

MetalIsDead
He could be teleporting heads and limbs nonstop, endind most of the battles in 1 second. In theory he could trap foes in the Brimstone dimension forever.

Hyperion Prime
He could be teleporting heads and limbs nonstop, endind most of the battles in 1 second. In theory he could trap foes in the Brimstone dimension forever.

thumb up

illadelph12
For Marvel I really think that Colossus should be explored further. I thought that his strength was supposed to increase dramatically as he grew older but he's still not quite that powerful after all this time. I also think that his being a descendent of Rasputin should be touched upon more. His siblings (Illyana and Mikhail) are both dramatically more powerful than he is. Maybe they could introduce something like his armored form was only a reactionary manifestation of his powers and he really has a range of other forms he can take. Maybe something along the lines of his powers actually being a form of alchemy over his own form rather than simply being able to take on a metal form, but the metal form being his most apparent ability. They've already introduced the fact that his metal form is resistant to magic. They could really play that angle up with some creative writing.

leonidas
Originally posted by illadelph12
For Marvel I really think that Colossus should be explored further. I thought that his strength was supposed to increase dramatically as he grew older but he's still not quite that powerful after all this time. I also think that his being a descendent of Rasputin should be touched upon more. His siblings (Illyana and Mikhail) are both dramatically more powerful than he is. Maybe they could introduce something like his armored form was only a reactionary manifestation of his powers and he really has a range of other forms he can take. Maybe something along the lines of his powers actually being a form of alchemy over his own form rather than simply being able to take on a metal form, but the metal form being his most apparent ability. They've already introduced the fact that his metal form is resistant to magic. They could really play that angle up with some creative writing.

nice. thumb up

leonidas

that's not really using his powers in a new way though. that's cis--nc doesn't teleport heads off because he's a good guy. didn't know he could trap people in the brimstone world though.

Newjak
I've always said it Juggernaut.

The guy is a vast walking engine and battery of magical energy.

We've seen him using his powers or people using his powers to do crazy things that seem to go beyond the classic super-brick version we see. Like warping space and time to open a portal for a demon army. Make duplicates of heroes at half their power. Shrink magical entities.

I think if Cain focused a little more he could be the magical equivalent of Surfer/Green Lantern/Superman in that his powers could theoretically let him do just about anything he wants to a High-Herald degree.

inimalist
Originally posted by Newjak
I think if Cain focused a little more he could be the magical equivalent of Surfer/Green Lantern/Superman in that his powers could theoretically let him do just about anything he wants to a High-Herald degree.

In his stint in Excallibur, it is said he can't access his powers because Cytorrak inhibits them from him, since Juggs wont be evil...

have they changed this? I kind of like it as a development for the character... sort of lol

Blair Wind
Iceman - They keep sort of kinda trying, but no one wants to take him out of his goof ball persona for longer than one arc. I'd like to see some kind of terrible tragic event make him a tad darker and have Scott give him some kind responsibility - lead a strike team. He is the second X-man after all. He should be pulling rank on everyone. People do grow up even if they have to be forced to. Without writers forgetting this was done like all of his abilities. First he could "fly", then he could "teleport" and he's still using phucking ice slides. He's been told he can do more than stop molecules - but all he does is make ice. He's the weakest omega, bar none. I'd like to see them explain WHY he's considered omega and do something with him. Pull him up power-wise. Even if they have to change his damn name. Pym does it all the time.

thumb up

For Marvel I really think that Colossus should be explored further. I thought that his strength was supposed to increase dramatically as he grew older but he's still not quite that powerful after all this time. I also think that his being a descendent of Rasputin should be touched upon more. His siblings (Illyana and Mikhail) are both dramatically more powerful than he is. Maybe they could introduce something like his armored form was only a reactionary manifestation of his powers and he really has a range of other forms he can take. Maybe something along the lines of his powers actually being a form of alchemy over his own form rather than simply being able to take on a metal form, but the metal form being his most apparent ability. They've already introduced the fact that his metal form is resistant to magic. They could really play that angle up with some creative writing. they sort of did that with rockslide already and husk to an extent. colossus isnt gonna evolve past his current stature, he is just the weakest of his bloodline. tahts fine actually, he is a solid character as he is.

Newjak
Originally posted by inimalist
In his stint in Excallibur, it is said he can't access his powers because Cytorrak inhibits them from him, since Juggs wont be evil...

have they changed this? I kind of like it as a development for the character... sort of lol I'm more referring to Cain at full-power when he isn't being inhibited.

Although he is currently depowered again because he took on the Captain Universe powers and it did something to him.

Uriel005
Originally posted by Blair Wind
Iceman - They keep sort of kinda trying, but no one wants to take him out of his goof ball persona for longer than one arc. I'd like to see some kind of terrible tragic event make him a tad darker and have Scott give him some kind responsibility - lead a strike team. He is the second X-man after all. He should be pulling rank on everyone. People do grow up even if they have to be forced to. Without writers forgetting this was done like all of his abilities. First he could "fly", then he could "teleport" and he's still using phucking ice slides. He's been told he can do more than stop molecules - but all he does is make ice. He's the weakest omega, bar none. I'd like to see them explain WHY he's considered omega and do something with him. Pull him up power-wise. Even if they have to change his damn name. Pym does it all the time.

thumb up Naw leave the tragedy schtick alone they tried it with Peter Parker I didn't care too much for it.

BigSid
Electro always springs to mind when I think of potential, if he were smart and knew how vast his power actually was he would smoke Spiderman in seconds.

He's the weakest omega, bar none. I'd like to see them explain WHY he's considered omega and do something with him. Pull him up power-wise. Even if they have to change his damn name. Pym does it all the time.

thumb up true that. I feel they wasted the label on him and wasted the character with a caticature of his personality.

Originally posted by Newjak
I'm more referring to Cain at full-power when he isn't being inhibited.

Although he is currently depowered again because he took on the Captain Universe powers and it did something to him. I think its his relationship with cytorrak and his refusal to lose his self completely that always hold him back no matter what. cytorrak has rold him that he isnt the one that limits him, juggs does it himself.

Blair Wind
Originally posted by Uriel005
Naw leave the tragedy schtick alone they tried it with Peter Parker I didn't care too much for it.

Eh. It doesn't have to be a tragedy - its just comics fastest way to a change. Having Scott give him some kind of leadership responsibility might help him mature. Then using his powers in creative ways - even just the ones we've seen him do -ON PANEL- a number of times would be something better than his "norm" which consistes of ice slide, ice blast, ice shield, rinse and repeat.

Originally posted by 753
true that. I feel they wasted the label on him and wasted the character with a caticature of his personality.

I agree. I just wish it wasn't so.

Zack Fair
So hmm why should Captain Marvel clearly be more powerful than Superman?

As for the thread I think Hydroman is a candidate for having a lot of potential.

Newjak
Originally posted by 753
I think its his relationship with cytorrak and his refusal to lose his self completely that always hold him back no matter what. cytorrak has rold him that he isnt the one that limits him, juggs does it himself. No I agree on that.

That's my whole point Cain could be even more dangerous and a thousand more times dangerous if he'd only focus more and stop limiting himself.

Which a writer could fix.

AlmightyKfish
He's the weakest omega, bar none.

I point you sir, to Mr Immortal.

"Id"
Vulcan.

Despite his incompetence, he is around Magneto level when he should be closer to the likes of Genis-Vell or even the current Solar.

Originally posted by "Id"
Vulcan.

Despite his incompetence, he is around Magneto level when he should be closer to the likes of Genis-Vell or even the current Solar. one could say magneto himself shouldnt be magneto level if his powers over electromagnetism or all the forces of matter were taken to their logical implications

Blair Wind
Originally posted by AlmightyKfish
I point you sir, to Mr Immortal.

Not a mutant, not an omega, but Homo s. supreme.

At least last I checked. Iceman is still on the lower end of the spectrum of other omega mutants. I wonder what the original writer had planned for him when they labeled him such. They even reference it time and again - in First Class he was compared to a frost giant. In Ultimate X-men, they tell of a future Bobby who's the greatest super hero of them all, with much better powers (which Bishop hints at).

He's been around for phucking ever. Someone needs to just nike it up.

Uriel005

At least last I checked. Iceman is still on the lower end of the spectrum of other omega mutants. I wonder what the original writer had planned for him when they labeled him such. They even reference it time and again - in First Class he was compared to a frost giant. In Ultimate X-men, they tell of a future Bobby who's the greatest super hero of them all, with much better powers (which Bishop hints at).

He's been around for phucking ever. Someone needs to just nike it up. Actually I'd like to see more from Valeria Richards. Seeing a kid punking the likes of Reed Banner and Doom would amuse me.

YoungGunna
Terrax

Blue Marvel

ankur29

thumb up

Agreed.

Martian manhunter too!

DC need to show more love to character's who are not superman.

Hyperion Prime
Avalanche should be more powerful than he is. And so should brother nature.

Magma too should be up there.

AlmightyKfish

He's been around for phucking ever. Someone needs to just nike it up.

I thought he was a mutant, but he had just evolved beyond normal mutants as a s. Supreme rather than Superior? So basically what an Omega should be- to mutants what mutants are to humans.

That being said, other than Mr Immortal, you're right, Iceman is probably the most wasted Omega- even Vulcan is far more impressive and he's barely impressive at that.

The lower end of Omega's seem to be Iceman, Vulcan etc who don't live up to their potential, then you have the other end of MJJ, Jamie Braddock, Legion etc who are reality warping monsters who have lived up to their name.

illadelph12
Martian Manhunter and Apocalypse are a couple more that could be explored further.

I'd like to see Apocalypse used off of Marvel Earth and get involved in the cosmic game. Maybe have an arc where he goes to another planet inhabited by a race of primitive beings with superhuman powers and through experimentation and eugenics he creates a master race in his own image that becomes a big threat universally. I'd also like for them to play up his connection to the Celestials more. I remember reading a non canon story by Simonson where it showed that Apocalypse was supposed to be like the genetic "middle ground" between an Eternal and a Deviant (which explained his powers, and illustrated his not being a homo superior/human mutant at all, but something else entirely). I think that should be brought into his main 616 character. It could be something like Apocalypse being the Celestials 'control' for their genetic experiments (a single being containing the genetic traits of all of the humanoid races the Celestials have created (Baseline Humans, Mutants, Eternals, Deviants, and Technarch), which would explain the range and variety of his powerset. The possibilities there would be enormous.

As for J'onn, I really wish they would stop punking him out. He should be a top gun.

byrdgang21
Martian Manhunter and Apocalypse are a couple more that could be explored further.

I'd like to see Apocalypse used off of Marvel Earth and get involved in the cosmic game. Maybe have an arc where he goes to another planet inhabited by a race of primitive beings with superhuman powers and through experimentation and eugenics he creates a master race in his own image that becomes a big threat universally. I'd also like for them to play up his connection to the Celestials more. I remember reading a non canon story by Simonson where it showed that Apocalypse was supposed to be like the genetic "middle ground" between an Eternal and a Deviant (which explained his powers, and illustrated his not being a homo superior/human mutant at all, but something else entirely). I think that should be brought into his main 616 character. It could be something like Apocalypse being the Celestials 'control' for their genetic experiments (a single being containing the genetic traits of all of the humanoid races the Celestials have created (Baseline Humans, Mutants, Eternals, Deviants, and Technarch), which would explain the range and variety of his powerset. The possibilities there would be enormous.

As for J'onn, I really wish they would stop punking him out. He should be a top gun.

I completely agree about Apocalypse. He should be much more powerful. His powers are somewhat limitless.

Also I would say Skaar. Particularly with the use of his old power. It seems to me he has tons of potential given who his patents are.

Sirius77
Firestorm. With all the abilities that he has, I think that he should be up there.

Mindset
Originally posted by "Id"
Vulcan.

Despite his incompetence, he is around Magneto level when he should be closer to the likes of Genis-Vell or even the current Solar. What level is current Solar?

King Kandy

I think he should be treated much more like the animated series... where he is really the greatest mutant threat to Earth, not one of many increasingly powerful villains that make him less and less special.

zopzop
Ladies and Gentlemen, I give you Rachel Summers as Phoenix.

During the Necrom/Rachel throwdown we saw what she was capable of but only because of Necrom. Using a fraction of the power Rachel had access to he obliterated an entire solar system and he was just warming up!

In theory she was capable of that and then some! But alas the best she could come up with was a solar flare. LOL.

srankmissingnin
Magneto. He has control over electromagnetism... dude should be nearly omnipotent. On a whim he should be able to disable to very force that holds matter together and scatter even the most powerful of characters across the universe. Anyone with a solid body or energy based powers should be completely at his mercy.

-Pr-
Captain Marvel could be written to be more popular, obviously, but I doubt any surge in popularity would make him that much more powerful. Heck, they made Billy more powerful and he got wiped out by Black Adam. More exposure would definitely help raise his stock, though I find it amazing how people want him to be more powerful than Superman, when they were not so long ago ranting and raving about how they're equal.

Makes me wonder how things would be if the shoe was on the other foot.

Superman is always going to be the go to guy imo, regardless of what the haters say.

inimalist
I'd like to see Apocalypse used off of Marvel Earth and get involved in the cosmic game.

I've got this burning desire to see Apoc use his technopathy to integrate the bastion/nimrod/technarch thing that was in X-Force and Second Coming

Not that I disagree or anything, he constantly punches below his weight

Allankles
Originally posted by Zack Fair
So hmm why should Captain Marvel clearly be more powerful than Superman?

As for the thread I think Hydroman is a candidate for having a lot of potential.

He shouldn't. It's like saying Wonder Woman should be more powerful than Thor because her powers were granted by more than one deity.

Powerset for powerset there's nothing that suggest CM should be more powerful than Supes.

Parmaniac
Originally posted by srankmissingnin
Anyone with a solid body or energy based powers should be completely at his mercy. What else would be left then?

Konton
Originally posted by Q99
Rogue. They occasionally show her cutting loose, but the proper tactic for almost every X-fight should be 'have everyone let rogue drain a little of your power, then obliterate the enemy with truly sick power combos.'

I'd argue Storm is often written to full potential these days, as far as diversity within her powerset goes - even to the point of obscurity and pissing people off.

She's torn apart Stardust, "cleansed another dimension," defeated the trion in their own realm, harnessed a galaxy of stars, etc.

The Pict
Originally posted by AlmightyKfish
I thought he was a mutant, but he had just evolved beyond normal mutants as a s. Supreme rather than Superior? So basically what an Omega should be- to mutants what mutants are to humans.

He was chosen by a supernatural force to be the one true immortal and witness the "secret" that would be revealed at the end off all things. He didn't in fact evolve biologically but was chosen at birth to be immortal.

leonidas
Originally posted by Konton
I'd argue Storm is often written to full potential these days, as far as diversity within her powerset goes - even to the point of obscurity and pissing people off.

She's torn apart Stardust, "cleansed another dimension," defeated the trion in their own realm, harnessed a galaxy of stars, etc.

blink

scans???

Philosophía
Originally posted by -Pr-
Captain Marvel could be written to be more popular, obviously, but I doubt any surge in popularity would make him that much more powerful. Heck, they made Billy more powerful and he got wiped out by Black Adam. More exposure would definitely help raise his stock, though I find it amazing how people want him to be more powerful than Superman, when they were not so long ago ranting and raving about how they're equal.

Makes me wonder how things would be if the shoe was on the other foot.

Superman is always going to be the go to guy imo, regardless of what the haters say. You actually take them seriously? I doubt they have more than rudimentary knowledge on Captain Marvel, maybe reading some scans that popped up on the forum.

It's the butthurt over Superman and the ass-whoopings from other thread which makes them mad, so they try to troll a bit.

Mindship
This character immediately popped into mind: Spider-Man
- turn off the jobbing
- let him learn martial arts
- meditation to hone the spider-sense
- hell, he's a genius; let him upgrade his webbing like Iron Man upgrades armor.

TheLordofMurder
Even though he is not a meta (he performs like one from time to time though), I nominate ETERNITY for someone who potentially FAR more powerful than his on panel displays suggest...

If a halfway decent writter got a hold of him, characters like Dormmamu and other Skyfather types would be casually slapped down by him as they rightfully should be...

At current, Eternity is a joke, and given what hes supposed to represent, this is all wrong; guy is supposed to be just below the Infinity Gauntlet, not someone that Skyfathers should be able to be successful against...

Edit: Kelly Brook is fine as hell...aint she?

Tazer
Yo.

Originally posted by psycho gundam
all of them

this post is full of TRUTH and win.

Tazer

basilisk
Quasar. In his own series he was starting to get there at times, but just not often enough. And in his most recent appearances the writers are unfortunately back to portraying him as lacking confidence and awed by other herald types like he was years ago.

He has a very wide range of powers - generation, manipulation, and absorption across the entire electromagnetic spectrum, some level of direct manipulation of gravity, shields and constructs, interstellar range teleportation, access to a dimension of limitless power. And his power comes from extremely powerful cosmic artifacts.

He is also supposed to be quite intelligent, with some training in physics and as a SHIELD agent, which more could be made of.

There have been hints over the years that the bands are even more powerful than he knows, with other powers yet to be found - maybe psi powers, maybe strength amping, maybe even immortality, plus glimpses of control over other energies outside e/m. We've seen that he can do heat and magnetic control, light manipulation like holograms and invisibility, but he rarely does or never does again. He doesn't make much use of electricity.

I just think there are a ton of ways he could use his powers outside what he does and a lot of potential power left to discover.

srankmissingnin
Originally posted by Parmaniac
What else would be left then?

Abstracts?

KuRuPT Thanosi
I think Poccy is a good one for Implied power. He should be so versatile with Celestial Tech.. but ends up getting tooled each and every time.

I think another example is The Beyonder... Sure he has some feats that back up him being really powerful, but the vast majority of things cited are via narration. Its like through implied power.. he should have feats like Mxy... but he doesn't.. and thus it's hard to say just how powerful he is.

Colossus-Big C
Originally posted by -Pr-
they made Billy more powerful and he got wiped out by Black Adam. black adam is supposed to be more powerful than billy based on the writer

Colossus-Big C

AlmightyKfish
Originally posted by KuRuPT Thanosi
I think Poccy is a good one for Implied power. He should be so versatile with Celestial Tech.. but ends up getting tooled each and every time.

I think another example is The Beyonder... Sure he has some feats that back up him being really powerful, but the vast majority of things cited are via narration. Its like through implied power.. he should have feats like Mxy... but he doesn't.. and thus it's hard to say just how powerful he is.

Idk about the Beyonder, Pre Retcon at least, while it was described by narrations, we also saw him destroy and remake the concept of death, cause multiversal destruction in a rage etc...

KuRuPT Thanosi
I agree A.K. he did have feats that were pretty powerful.. He mentioned the death one, the blast MM repaired, casually beating the Celestials h2h. All impressive. Problem is, his narration made him out to be a God and able to have feats mxy like... However, he didn't display that kinda of power. I guess what I'm saying is his implied power was more than he actually showed imo.

Hyperion Prime
although no one is butt hurt or even cares about superman, alot of people simply just like captain marvel alot better than superman.

as for why he "should" be more powerful,is because of how he was portrayed in golden age

That's it for me I just like Captain Marvel better than Superman. I really don't care about clark.

D-Block
If they bring Billy back to Captain Marvel he could be shown to tap more of the powers the Gods give him.

D-Block

Agreed!!

JakeTheBank
Captain Marvel shouldn't be more powerful than Superman, at least not in the overall sense. He does have significant advantages over Superman much like vice versa, but Marvel should never and clearly dominate Superman. They're equals and have been portrayed as much for most of their history since DC bought the rights to use Marvel and the Shazam property.

Marvel as the Keeper of the RoE/Wizard is a different story, though.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.