Fast & Furious series: Discussion & Criticism

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

roughrider
With Fast Five opening today, I have been inspired to make this thread for one reason:

Why is this an ongoing film series??? blink

To explain further - I actually haven't seen ANY of the films. I've just observed from afar, and found it amusing when they started to make sequels without Vin Diesel at first (just like they made a sequel to XXX without him), but I thought enough would be enough when they reunited all the original actors for part 4.

Reading the plots of all the films on Wikipedia, they have really made a film series out of the adventures of a thief and racing junkie (aka Vin Diesel's Dom?) This is like making a series out of Point Break, with the plot getting recycled over and over...
Yes, good and thoughtful films have been made about friends on opposite sides of the law, like Thief and Heat, but making a continuing film series out of the same dynamic again and again??

Someone convince me about this.

RE: Blaxican
Convince you about what? It's a movie. Movies are made to make money. If there is a fan base who will pay lots of money to watch movie, the movie will be made.

srankmissingnin
Originally posted by roughrider
With Fast Five opening today, I have been inspired to make this thread for one reason:

To explain further - I actually haven't seen ANY of the films. I've just observed from afar, and found it amusing when they started to make sequels without Vin Diesel at first (just like they made a sequel to XXX without him), but I thought enough would be enough when they reunited all the original actors for part 4.

Reading the plots of all the films on Wikipedia, they have really made a film series out of the adventures of a thief and racing junkie (aka Vin Diesel's Dom?) This is like making a series out of Point Break, with the plot getting recycled over and over...
Yes, good and thoughtful films have been made about friends on opposite sides of the law, like Thief and Heat, but making a continuing film series out of the same dynamic again and again??

Someone convince me about this.

It has fast cars, hot chicks, explosions and gun fights. It is a franchise designed to appeal to the lowest common denominator, people too stupid to realize they've paid to see the same movie going on five times now.

That said I want to see the Rock fight Vin Diesel so I'm thinking of seeing this one in theaters. embarrasment

Robtard
Cars + Hot Women = A certain dynamic will pay $$$ to watch these, no matter how stupid the plot.

roughrider
So it's basically a modern-day franchise in the mold of the old Friday The 13th series? It has it's niche audience that it appeals to, and doesn't want you to think deeply about how these characters should be a lot smarter in real life?

I remember back in the 1980's, Roger Ebert reviewed one Friday The 13th film (badly) and basically attached at the end *This review is good for the Friday The 13th film of your choice.* stick out tongue

So are Fast & Furious films like that?

marwash22

Someone convince me about this. lol. stopped reading.

BruceSkywalker
can't wait for fast 6 big grin

Kazenji
Fast Five opening today??

it came out last week for me.

Esau Cairn
I stopped at the first movie.

My brain couldn't comprehend why Vin & co didn't STOP the trucks when highjacking them & the FBI being terrified that truckers would take the law into their own hands...

Kazenji
Personally i have'nt watched every single one but i did go an see this latest one and liked it.

the ninjak
The Fast and the Furious - Good Fun.
2Fast 2Furious - One of the worst films ever made.
Tokyo Drift - Best of the series. Karate Kid with cars.
Fast and Furious - Trash.
Fast 5 - Nice action scenes. Best attempt at story though still horrible.

elfirrepins
What they have to do is make it a "dynamic franchise" instead of a "static franchise". What I mean is, when Fast 3 came out, it was a refreshing movie and thoroughly enjoyable once you get over Lucas Black's accent.

When they decided to bring back Vin and Paul, they kinda ruined it. It kinda feels a lot like the Street Fighter video game series, but with 1 and 2 swapped around. 1 was probably one of the worst, 2 was the best, 3 was awesome but considered "too new", and 4 brought back the original characters but it kinda sucked. The same thing has pretty much happened here.

Once you change something, it is hard to bring the original back and make it any good. I reckon they should have explored different paths. There are many options they could have done. Have a former rally champion rallying in the streets and eventually into the mountains with a powerful street car that everybody wants because the original driver had a contract on him, now that would be a good example of doing something different. It would kind of break away from the original concept of the movie though, which would be the "someone thrown into the street racing scene and staying there" type movie. But, it would be a much better, albeit less profitable, way of continuing the franchise (actually, there is no real way of telling whether it is profitable or not, with the right casting and good flow, it can be considered a better direction for the franchise).

Kazenji
To explain further - I actually haven't seen ANY of the films. I've just observed from afar, and found it amusing when they started to make sequels without Vin Diesel at first (just like they made a sequel to XXX without him), but I thought enough would be enough when they reunited all the original actors for part 4..

Oh Vin's coming back for the 3rd xXx.

the ninjak
I thought Vin's XXX died.

Kazenji
Yeah it says that in that poor sequel

Rogue Jedi
Drift was awesome.

Lord Shadow Z
Originally posted by srankmissingnin
That said I want to see the Rock fight Vin Diesel so I'm thinking of seeing this one in theaters. embarrasment

Just wait until someone gets it onto Youtube, I know I am!!

I'm not one for car movies really, although I do like Gone in 60 Seconds.

roughrider
Originally posted by marwash22
lol. stopped reading.

Well, if you are saying there are a lot of subtitles to the plot and characters that I would see watching the films, rather than just reading the synopsis, then just say that. Becasue like I said earlier, from afar I don't get how this became a franchise.

srankmissingnin
83 million dollars opening weekend at the North American Box Office... messed

BruceSkywalker

...and with that there will definitely be a fast 6 and they will find a way to bring back vin and others

roughrider

Not just that, but pretty well reviewed, too. None of the other ones got good notices like this. This isn't supposed to happen!

Mindset
Fast Five was the best movie ever made.

Mr. Rhythmic
Originally posted by marwash22
lol. stopped reading.

Alisha2
Fast Five is a good movie to watch, This is Really a good movie.

0mega Spawn
i think they put the series to bed...i liked the moving.
but i had to hold my laugh in during the vault theft scene laughing out loud

Mindset
Originally posted by 0mega Spawn
i think they put the series to bed...i liked the moving.
but i had to hold my laugh in during the vault theft scene laughing out loud why?

super pr*xy
pretty fun movie.. you have to suspend your disbelief pretty hard, especially the vault theft scene.. they totally ignored the laws of physics and gravity like they have never been discovered.. other than that, it's cool..

edit: there's an after credits scene.. it's eva mendez (the hottie undercover agent in ff2) handing hobbs (the rock) a file on letty, who apparently ambushed a military convoy.. i smell a part 6..

and also

this spoiler left intentionally blank..

0mega Spawn

Robtard
Movie was retarded, I knew the story would suck and went to see it for the cars and car-stunts, but the story was beyond idiotic, "suspension of belief" to epic levels and the cars/car-stunts were 'meh' at best.

Mindset
What laws would that be?

srankmissingnin
Originally posted by Mindset
Fast Five was the best movie ever made.

I don't think Mindset would lie to us guys.

Mindset
I don't think Mindset would lie to us guys. thumb up

0mega Spawn
What laws would that be? O.O
momentum & gravity for one laughing out loud

no way you've dragging a safe that big across city streets SLAMMING into damn near everything without the slamming affecting your speed & momentum

soon as that safe hit a building or that tree it wouldve suddenly stopped tugging your care with the sudden loss of momentum xd

dont get me started on that bridge scene laughing out loud

still liked the movie though yes

Mindset
it did affect their speed/momentum

also, assuming they did get the safe up to around 60mph, its momentum would be hard to change considering its mass

a multi ton safe going at high speeds isn't going to have much of a momentum change when it hits a small tree

it all fits into movie science pretty easily, imo

0mega Spawn
it did affect their speed/momentum

also, assuming they did get the safe up to around 60mph, its momentum would be hard to change considering its mass

a multi ton safe going at high speeds isn't going to have much of a momentum change when it hits a small tree

it all fits into movie science pretty easily, imo you forget it hit a concrete building and went through it like butter

also if it wasn't going fast it would be much more easy for it to stop
did you actually see what they were hitting with the safe?

police cruisers ramming directly into the front of the safe barely even stopped it

Mindset
you forget it hit a concrete building and went through it like butterIt hit part of a concrete building and took out mainly glass.

also if it wasn't going fast it would be much more easy for it to stop
I'm not sure why you're telling me this, but I know, which is why I said its momentum would have been hard to change.Originally posted by 0mega Spawn
did you actually see what they were hitting with the safe? Yes.

police cruisers ramming directly into the front of the safe barely even stopped it More momentum(higher speed and mass) + movie science = that.

0mega Spawn
lets all just ignore the blatantly obvious roll eyes (sarcastic)

whatever you say mind

Mindset
So you concede.

Great. thumb up

0mega Spawn
So you concede.

Great. thumb up no its just pointless arguing with a retard laughing out loud

i bet you really believe that you can drag a large vault around, slamming it into buildings & other speeding vehicles without it affecting your speed while simultaneously outrunning cops laughing out loud

did you actually watch the movie? probably was hard to see with your helmet on backwards and all

RE: Blaxican
So you concede.

Great. thumb up

0mega Spawn
Originally posted by RE: Blaxican
get off his dong man laughing

Robtard
Omega Spawn, you folded like a napkin, bro.

Mindset 1 Omega Spawn 0

0mega Spawn
Originally posted by Robtard
Omega Spawn, you folded like a napkin, bro.

Mindset 1 Omega Spawn 0 how?

you're saying that stuff in the movie was possible?

Robtard
how?

you're saying that stuff in the movie was possible?

You came off all fire and fury; Mindset was basically all "no, you're wrong" and you folded. That.

The movie was retarded, I'm more talking about the plot and how incredibly stupid the cops and just about everyone else would have had to have been for them to pull it off.

The way they bought a multi-million dollar vault and had it shipped seemingly overnight (or less),

The way they built the stolen cop cars into vault-haulers complete with roll cages, nitrous, tow-hooks, paint, body-work etc with what appeared a few hours.

The cars wouldn't have had the traction (and likely the horse-power) to rip a vault out. Those inch thick tow-cables likely would have snapped when towing the vault.

There's more beyond idiotic suspension of belief in that film.

0mega Spawn
if you guys seriously believe a car can sling around the deadweight of a vault weighing more than the car itself through office buildings, ram multiple police cruisers, and bounce off trees without ripping the bumper off, stopping the cars momentum, or snapping the chain.

then i lose all faith in humanity.

0mega Spawn
I folded? laughing

i felt no reason to debate why a car cant sling a vault through concrete structures & ETC...you're saying you wouldve actually tried to explain why?
like i said if he really believes that then hes retarded thus no reason talking to him

Robtard
The weakest link would have been the cable and yes, as I said, it would have likely snapped.

Though it wouldn't have gone that far, they were in a parking lot on smooth concrete, they would have never been able to gain the traction to rip a vault out, even if the cars had the power under the hood and for some reason the vault was loosely secured.

Yes, you folded. No reason for name calling, dude. Mindset's not a retard.

0mega Spawn
exactly... this is all common sense really erm

im still not understanding how i folded.

for him to believe that stuff to be possible he would indeed have to be a retard.

im just speaking the truth

Robtard
How you folded? Easy:

You - "Physics, physics, physics."

Mindset - "Momentum."

You - "Physics, physics, physics and physics!"

Mindset - 'Momentum, b!tch!"

Then you folded.

0mega Spawn
folded how?
still not understanding.

if i were to argue with him i would be entertaining a chance that stuff was possible erm

Robtard
So what's online arguing about then?

0mega Spawn
don't know.

lets say i didn't "fold" what would be doing now?

what was i supposed to do as opposed to "folding"?

Robtard
OK, I'm done trolling you. You made me feel bad.

Bet you feel good about yourself now, don't you?

0mega Spawn
Originally posted by Robtard
OK, I'm done trolling you. You made me feel bad.

Bet you feel good about yourself now, don't you? laughing you folding?

Mindset
no its just pointless arguing with a retard laughing out loud

i bet you really believe that you can drag a large vault around, slamming it into buildings & other speeding vehicles without it affecting your speed while simultaneously outrunning cops laughing out loud

did you actually watch the movie? probably was hard to see with your helmet on backwards and all Originally posted by Mindset
So you concede.

Great. thumb up

srankmissingnin
I haven't seen the movie but it's all practical effects right? It might not be a 20 ton safe being dragged behind the car, but it is something real. The laws of physics couldn't have been that baddly broken, it wasn't CGI or anything.

Mindset
You are correct.

0mega Spawn
go see the movie if you don't believe me anybody

elfirrepins
Originally posted by BruceSkywalker
...and with that there will definitely be a fast 6 and they will find a way to bring back vin and others

I just watch "the end" of the movie in cinemas (I slept through the whole thing because I was tired), and with an ending like that, then I'm sure there is going to be another movie (and I'm sure it will be the last).

barbera123

Utsukushii
I was actually shocked that I found Fast Five half way entertaining

BruceSkywalker
Originally posted by Utsukushii
I was actually shocked that I found Fast Five half way entertaining

did you stay post credits?

elfirrepins
I enjoyed the first half of the movie. It felt like the first movie again. The second half kinda dragged on for me, but still entertaining enough. I thought it was a good movie. I still reckon they should have stopped rehashing the old cast though.

The post credit scene ruined that expectation. All of a sudden Eva Mendes gives The Rock an assignment to look for Michelle Rodriguez's character? Saying something about a "ghost"? Give me a break!

S_D_J
I loved Fast Five!

though I wasn't digging the beggining (the train escape was meh, predictable and far-fetched) the movie grow on me fast, and i let go of my disbelief by the end, enjoyed a lot more than expected, specially after seeing Thor which was a let down, specially the horrendous 3D. I appreciate Branagh bringing a thespian feel to the movie, but the scenes in the small desert town in the middle of phucking nowhere were a drag... and so was the ending

anyways... Loved Fast Five!

mika45
fast 5 is great movie

Klittle1989
Originally posted by the ninjak
The Fast and the Furious - Good Fun.
2Fast 2Furious - One of the worst films ever made.
Tokyo Drift - Best of the series. Karate Kid with cars.
Fast and Furious - Trash.
Fast 5 - Nice action scenes. Best attempt at story though still horrible.

Agreed, except I haven't seen the fifth one yet. I expected to Tokyo Drift to be beating a dead horse, but I was probably more stoked watching that one than any of the others.

Like said, the second one was sooooooo bad, and Fast and Furious was just "meh," really bland.

I remember seeing Fast and Furious and when everyone left they were all ripping out of the parking lot like they were Vin Diesel, pretty humorous.

The charger in the first film and the NSX in Fast and Furious are soooooo sexy though.

0mega Spawn
only thing good in it was tyrese
paul walkers acting sucked azz & his feeble attempts at slang made me cringe

kmolano

Kazenji
The next sequel in this franchise comes out Memorial Day, 2013.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.