John Constantine Vs Superman & Batman

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Prep-Man
What are your thoughts on this? How do you think this will end up? Will John trick/manipulate both of them? Or will Batman realize what is happening and out prep John?

http://media.comicvine.com/uploads/5/57606/1787853-swamp_things010_large.jpg

kevdude
I see them winning, in the comic its going to be much more interesting in just what happens! I can't wait to see how they interact, its been a long time!

Prep-Man
Remember, a Constantine writer/editor will be writing. I can see Constantine winning this time. It's his book, anyway.

what are the titles this will take place in?

Prep-Man
Search for Swamp Thing coming up this month.

kevdude
Originally posted by Prep-Man
Search for Swamp Thing coming up this month.

Yeah its going to be written by Jonathan Vankin. Here is his Newsarama interview.

http://www.newsarama.com/comics/jonathan-vankin-dcu-john-constantine-110503.html

Btw Quans on ignore, happy days here again! cool

Mindset
Batman isn't outprepping John.

SasuOna
Batman outpreps anyone in Vertigo thats just how it goes. Aside from Swamp Thing basically owning him through attrition no other character is taking him down if he has prep.

Oh yeah

Mindset
Originally posted by SasuOna
Batman outpreps anyone in Vertigo thats just how it goes. Aside from Swamp Thing basically owning him through attrition no other character is taking him down if he has prep.

Oh yeah Originally posted by Mindset
Batman isn't outprepping John.

Daemon Seed

Oh yeah

Batman has no answer for Swampthing, he didn't in the 80's he doesn't now. Luthor on the other hand..... :-)

mainstream dcu constantine and swamp-thing arent vertigo constantine and swampthing.

vertigo john would outprep batman. well see about this one

srankmissingnin
Originally posted by 753
mainstream dcu constantine and swamp-thing arent vertigo constantine and swampthing.

Unfortunately. sad

Prep-Man
The only real difference between the 2 are the age. Other than that, it's the same Constantine that appeared in DC all those years ago.

AlmightyKfish
The only real difference between the 2 are the age. Other than that, it's the same Constantine that appeared in DC all those years ago.

And we'll have to see how manipulative and cunning this Constantine is- it's been in Vertigo where we've seen most of John's incredibly elaborate prepping and schemes.

Vertigo Constantine would outprep Batman though.

SasuOna
Thats like saying DCU madame xanadu isn't the same as vertigo xanadu or vertigo phantom stranger isn't the same as the DCU phantom stranger.

their all the same character

Mindset
I don't think I've ever read mainstream Constantine.

His ongoing is Vertigo, right?

Prep-Man
Originally posted by AlmightyKfish
And we'll have to see how manipulative and cunning this Constantine is- it's been in Vertigo where we've seen most of John's incredibly elaborate prepping and schemes.

Vertigo Constantine would outprep Batman though.

How is Peter's run? In the interview, the writer said it's the best run in a long time. Is he correct?

Thats like saying DCU madame xanadu isn't the same as vertigo xanadu or vertigo phantom stranger isn't the same as the DCU phantom stranger.

their all the same character no theyre not. this just like how max punsiher isnt 616 punisher. it just so happens that a lot of characters have versions in both universes. authors have confirmed this repeatedly and it is clear that the vertigoverse is not the same continuity as dcu: for one, there is no superman in it and if there was, the whole schtick of the universe as pessimistic, gritty, fantastically real and dark would be ruined.

Originally posted by Mindset
I don't think I've ever read mainstream Constantine.

His ongoing is Vertigo, right? yeah, I think he only appeared a couple of times in the dcu

SasuOna
Originally posted by 753
no theyre not. this just like how max punsiher isnt 616 punisher. it just so happens that a lot of characters have versions in both universes. authors have confirmed this repeatedly and it is clear that the vertigoverse is not the same continuity as dcu: for one, there is no superman in it and if there was, the whole schtick of the universe as pessimistic, gritty, fantastically real and dark would be ruined.

Except that really isn't true all the time and generally you can tell when a series is set primarily in the vertigoverse ie Sandman or Lucifer but not all the DC characters apart from Constantine interact with them and thats generally only because of how long Hellblazer has been running as a vertigo title. John Constantine of the DCU first appeared in Swamp thing which was how he got connected to the DCU. Hellblazer from what I understand is set before and after that appearance but with the absence of most DCU characters. I don't think their different characters or at least I don't think DC writers think their different characters.

In fact with the above characters in my previous post the vertigo stories actually draw from story elements established in DCU continuity. Their the same characters and their early histories are being established in Vertigo.

AlmightyKfish
Except that really isn't true all the time and generally you can tell when a series is set primarily in the vertigoverse ie Sandman or Lucifer but not all the DC characters apart from Constantine interact with them and thats generally only because of how long Hellblazer has been running as a vertigo title. John Constantine of the DCU first appeared in Swamp thing which was how he got connected to the DCU. Hellblazer from what I understand is set before and after that appearance but with the absence of most DCU characters. I don't think their different characters or at least I don't think DC writers think their different characters.

In fact with the above characters in my previous post the vertigo stories actually draw from story elements established in DCU continuity. Their the same characters and their early histories are being established in Vertigo.

Didio has come out and said Swamp Thing & Constantine in the mainstream DCU are seperate to their Vertigo counterparts
They share the same history up until Constantine's own series/the Vertigo-DC split, but Constantine/Swamp Thing who are now appearing in the DCU are not the same as the characters who have had nearly 20 years of development through Vertigo titles.

With what you were saying about Phantom Stranger, I'd say he gets a pass because he could very easily be a multversal entity (a reason why all the appearances of The Endless are canon to them, same with Lucifer)

Yeah Hellblazer is, his mainstream DCU appearances are just from Moore's Swamp Thing run, which is basically considered Vertigo anyway, but it was released prior to the establishment of Vertigo.

Eon Blue
Constantine

AlmightyKfish
How is Peter's run? In the interview, the writer said it's the best run in a long time. Is he correct?

It's the best run on the series since Carey's run imo.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.