Thor (movie) vs Superman (movie)

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

carver9
This is Superman from the latest movie.

Who wins?

CosmicComet
Superman Returns? It's a sequel to the Christopher Reeve movies.

You know, the ones where Supes can turn back time and easily push the moon.

carver9
No, not that one... the one made in 2008 or 9... can't remember.

CosmicComet
Which was this?

The Brandon Routh Supes movie (returns) was from 06.

Mindset
Originally posted by CosmicComet
Superman Returns? It's a sequel to the Christopher Reeve movies.

You know, the ones where Supes can turn back time and easily push the moon. But he wasn't that strong in the remake so out doesn't matter.

CosmicComet
While near death, he lifted up a continent. (scratch that, island, it was going to become a continent)

Yeah.

Mindset
And he still isn't as strong as he was in the old movies, so what's your point?

CosmicComet
Except, he is.

And while near death he does something that is very much in line to the kinds of thing you'd expect from Reeves Supes.

It's a direct sequel. Thus he did not get weaker, and still has access to all of those feats. He's still faster than light too, seeing as he returned to Earth within 5 years, from some far off Star System.

Galan007
Superman, ftw.

In the movie, he was flying around the earth solving crises at "near the speed of light" - and, as CC said, he ripped an entire continent out of the earth that was made of Kryptonite, and flew it into earth's upper atmosphere... While extremely weak.

carver9
Wasn't Reeves Superman basically a copy of Pre-Crisis Superman?

CosmicComet
Tiny edit, it was *going* to become a continent. It was like a manhattan sized island as it were.

But yeah, he was near death while doing that. And he's still FTL in travel speed and relativistic around Earth.

Mindset
Except, he is.

And while near death he does something that is very much in line to the kinds of thing you'd expect from Reeves Supes.

It's a direct sequel. Thus he did not get weaker, and still has access to all of those feats. He's still faster than light too, seeing as he returned to Earth within 5 years, from some far off Star System. Except he wasn't.

I don't care if it's a sequel, that's irrelevant.

quanchi112
Thor wins. I don't even see it being close either.

psycho gundam
lol

Black bolt z
Haven't even seen the thor movie...but superman.

CosmicComet
Originally posted by Mindset
Except he wasn't.

Except, he clearly was.

Being a sequel is very relevant information.

juggernaut74
Originally posted by Galan007
Superman, ftw.

In the movie, he was flying around the earth solving crises at "near the speed of light" - and, as CC said, he ripped an entire continent out of the earth that was made of Kryptonite, and flew it into earth's upper atmosphere... While extremely weak. Didn't he also have a shard of K-nite stuck in his back when he did that?

playa1258
I don't have enough info to make a valid pick. Thor did not face anyone who could even remotely challenge him, and Superman didn't either

Galan007
Originally posted by juggernaut74
Didn't he also have a shard of K-nite stuck in his back when he did that? Nah, that got pulled out.

The Pict
Except, he clearly was.

Being a sequel is very relevant information.

thumb up Of course it's relevant. It was the same character!

Rage.Of.Olympus
You can use his feats if you want but don't say they're the same character. It's insulting to Reeves.

The Pict
Originally posted by Rage.Of.Olympus
You can use his feats if you want but don't say they're the same character. It's insulting to Reeves.

kinda Yes the movie sucked but that's not really the point. Also Reeves was in Superman 4....

Rage.Of.Olympus
I get the point, I'm not carver. I'm asking you not to call them the same character because it's insulting to Reeves. And I only watched the first 2 and pretend the others don't exist. Besides, going by Returns, only those two are cannon, so....

wavey

CosmicComet
Superman 3 was the shitty one, the one with Richard Pryor.

Superman 4 had some intense fight scenes. I remember being scared of Sentr...Nuclear Man, when I was a kid.

kevdude
Nah, that got pulled out.

It's been awhile since I've seen Superman Returns but I think I do remember the doctors taking a shard out at the hospital when he nearly died.

juggernaut74
Originally posted by kevdude
It's been awhile since I've seen Superman Returns but I think I do remember the doctors taking a shard out at the hospital when he nearly died. I think you're right. They pulled the shard out of his back when he was in the hospital at the very end of the film wich was after the continent moving feat.

Rage.Of.Olympus
Continent? Pretty sure it was an island.

juggernaut74
Call it whatever you want but it was f*cking massive and he had a shard of k-nite in his back at the time. If he was at full power who knows what he could have done.

kevdude
Originally posted by juggernaut74
Call it whatever you want but it was f*cking massive and he had a shard of k-nite in his back at the time. If he was at full power who knows what he could have done.

Yeah I'll have to watch it again soon, and we know it was growing in size the whole he lifted it, and he didn't have much time cause the island was getting bigger extremely fast! eek!

rotiart
When he lifted the continent wasn't it after he flew into space and bathed in sunlight for a bit?

batdude123
Originally posted by rotiart
When he lifted the continent wasn't it after he flew into space and bathed in sunlight for a bit?

You're not trying to act like he was amped, are you? baka

CosmicComet
He lifted a manhattan sized island, and no he did not fly up to space, he was in the lower stratosphere/upper troposphere.

And he was already stabbed by that kryptonite crystal so that exposure did not even put him back at 100%. And then while he was lifting it, the crystals were continuing to grow and were right next to his face at one point.

carver9
I get the point, I'm not carver. I'm asking you not to call them the same character because it's insulting to Reeves. And I only watched the first 2 and pretend the others don't exist. Besides, going by Returns, only those two are cannon, so....

wavey

Hush Rage.

As for the continent lifting, YES, he did have Kryptonite in him during the time he lifted it and what made it more amazing is that the entire island was made out of kryptonite. If he was at full power, he could have basically lifted that sh** up and tossed it in the sun.

That was an awesome feat of power along with "will" power.

Mindset
Except, he clearly was.

Being a sequel is very relevant information. Originally posted by The Pict
thumb up Of course it's relevant. It was the same character! With a lower level of power.

I realize this will be hard to do, but deal with it.

CosmicComet

wavey

But yeah, I didn't know that it ignored Superman 3 and 4.

Thus, the moon thing is no longer in play.

Still he wins over Thor. Superman 1, 2 and Returns feats are all valid to use.

Rage.Of.Olympus
Originally posted by batdude123

You're not trying to act like he was amped, are you? baka

I'm guessing it recharged him.

Rage.Of.Olympus
But yeah, I didn't know that it ignored Superman 3 and 4.

Thus, the moon thing is no longer in play.

Still he wins over Thor. Superman 1, 2 and Returns feats are all valid to use.

I'm pretty sure the movie was supposed to be a sequel to the first and second movies ignoring the last two. I remember hearing that in an interview a while back.

Originally posted by carver9
Hush Rage.

As for the continent lifting, YES, he did have Kryptonite in him during the time he lifted it and what made it more amazing is that the entire island was made out of kryptonite. If he was at full power, he could have basically lifted that sh** up and tossed it in the sun.

That was an awesome feat of power along with "will" power.

I'm still waiting on the info Carver. When is the ass kicking taking place?

Mindset
I'll agree with any opinion Rage has on this fight.

Rage.Of.Olympus
I'll agree with any opinion Rage has on this fight.

And all the professionals said you weren't intelligent.

Mindset
Don't make me have to shove my "mjolnir" up your anus again.

Rage.Of.Olympus
Your such a tease.

Newjak
Well going from the movie versions I think Superman wins.

But I think Thor definitely showed some power here and could be a serious threat with some more showings.

janus77
reboot Superman wins, movie Thor has nothing comparable to the feats of Superman.

Zack Fair
Nah, that got pulled out.

He still had a piece of kryptonite in his body. I remember the doctors pulling it out of him after he crashlanded near the end.

Supes wins this and he doesn't even need Superman 1/2 feats to do it.

quanchi112
Originally posted by janus77
reboot Superman wins, movie Thor has nothing comparable to the feats of Superman. What feats give Superman the win here ? Thor was >>> above everyone he basically encountered. I can see Thor cheering Superman on when he hits him wanting a true battle but putting down the man of steel when push came to shove.

long pig
Did Thor have his magical ass powers in the movie? It's the apparent source of his power in the comics.

Black bolt z
Superman.

quanchi112
Originally posted by Black bolt z
Superman. Based on ?

Newjak
Originally posted by janus77
reboot Superman wins, movie Thor has nothing comparable to the feats of Superman. If we're going by Superman Returns then I think Thor could make a fight of it. The only thing that could be a problem is Superman's lightspeed movement but I don't think it was ever shown for him to be fighting at it.

Nihilist
Thor wins handily

DarkOdin
This one is hard to gauge.

Movie Thor had a greater power-set and used his abilites very well.

Durability this one is tough as the only thing we seen Superman "last version get hurt by was kryptonite but nothing after that then again he fought a bunch of street level guys the whole time. If we go back to the old Superman Christopher Reeves version then Thor's and superman's durabilty is pretty much the same.

fighting skills thor wins had downs for the movie versions.

This is the only factor i can't put Thor at any level as he showed he had super strength but no clear feats to gauge where he would be.
Superman on the other hand lifted the freakin land mass so that puts him hi up there.

BLah we need a 2nd movie for both just so we can get a base line idea on where they are although as of now i would put superman on top just for his strength feat alone

Philosophía
Movie Superman was on a whole different level, so there's not much comparison - he stomps.

Uriel005
Originally posted by DarkOdin
This one is hard to gauge.

Movie Thor had a greater power-set and used his abilites very well.

Durability this one is tough as the only thing we seen Superman "last version get hurt by was kryptonite but nothing after that then again he fought a bunch of street level guys the whole time. If we go back to the old Superman Christopher Reeves version then Thor's and superman's durabilty is pretty much the same.

fighting skills thor wins had downs for the movie versions.

This is the only factor i can't put Thor at any level as he showed he had super strength but no clear feats to gauge where he would be.
Superman on the other hand lifted the freakin land mass so that puts him hi up there.

BLah we need a 2nd movie for both just so we can get a base line idea on where they are although as of now i would put superman on top just for his strength feat alone Yeah the island made of kryptonite getting heaved away was rather impressive. So we can guess that at a near death level he can still shift at the least islands. However Thor messing up the destroyer was rather impressive but I felt that it was severely scaled down for the movie.

Zack Fair
The Destroyer was all comic book hype. It didn't do shit in the movie.

ares834

quanchi112
Originally posted by ares834
thumb up

He can lift up islands, catch bullets, and fly so fast that his jet stream spins the world in the other direction. Superman stomps. And also struggle holding buses and get knocked around by manholes.

Zack Fair
Buses thrown by 2 kryptonians might I add.

Silent Master
And yet the bus didn't move very fast....as opposed to the tank that the Hulk threw in his movie, that one moved far faster and went further.

-Pr-
We're talking about old special effects. The fact that they could make the bus look thrown at all was a minor miracle...

Allankles
Superman could also stop an earthquake powerful enough to sink California. Movie Thor didn't seem anywhere near Supes with regards to strength and speed. Mjlonir was beastly though.

Rage.Of.Olympus
The dependency on Mjolnir in the movie was crazy imo. I have no idea where Thor started and it ended. After this, people will probably believe his power all comes from the hammer. Just watch.

Hope Fraction doesn't take this turn with the comics or some other writer who hasn't done his research. I f*cking hate him tbh. ahuh

CosmicComet
The misconception of Thor being hammer dependent is surely a part of why he isn't as popular as he could be.

Makes it look like a crutch, needing a special weapon to fight other powerful rivals who have none.

Rage.Of.Olympus
The misconception of Thor being hammer dependent is surely a part of why he isn't as popular as he could be.

Makes it look like a crutch, needing a special weapon to fight other powerful rivals who have none.

I wouldn't be surprised.

He should go like a year without Mjolnir. The problem is that it's very synonymous with the character.

CosmicComet
Mjolnir should be his trump card.

Have him apparate it out of thin air when he needs it/wants it to finish something quickly.

Make him consistently do spells without it.

Mindset
The dependency on Mjolnir in the movie was crazy imo. What do you mean?

That's how he fights in the comics, albeit with more powers, but ofc he'll be weaker in a movie.

Zack Fair
Originally posted by Silent Master
And yet the bus didn't move very fast....as opposed to the tank that the Hulk threw in his movie, that one moved far faster and went further.

Are you really comparing special effects from the late 70s to nowadays CGI extravaganza?

---

As for Thor depending on MJOLNIR ...I think he should be shown to be more skilled in hand to hand combat without using it as crutch. An occasional thunder strike without MJOLNIR wouldn't hurt either.

quanchi112
Originally posted by Zack Fair
Buses thrown by 2 kryptonians might I add. Please don't tell me you're insinuating the bus was thrown super fast at Superman hence his struggle with it.

Originally posted by Allankles
Superman could also stop an earthquake powerful enough to sink California. Movie Thor didn't seem anywhere near Supes with regards to strength and speed. Mjlonir was beastly though. What does stopping an earthquake have to do with how these two would fare against each other.

Zack Fair
Originally posted by quanchi112
Please don't tell me you're insinuating the bus was thrown super fast at Superman hence his struggle with it.

Um no? You made it sound like Superman had trouble with the bus by itself and didn't even mention 2 kryptonians threw it at him. Superman was also trying to save the people inside of the bus. What would have happened to them had he just decided to stand there and take it? They would have probably died by the feedback resulting from it. Also Superman was pulling the whole "Oh I'm so hurt, weak and coward I am going to run to my fortress but please do not follow me" stunt. What can I say Superman could be a good wrestler, selling thrown buses like that; The Rock got nothing on Big Blue. Lets not forget the fact the movie is old as **** and effects weren't up to par by today standards.

quanchi112
Um no? You made it sound like Superman had trouble with the bus by itself and didn't even mention 2 kryptonians threw it at him. Superman was also trying to save the people inside of the bus. What would have happened to them had he just decided to stand there and take it? They would have probably died by the feedback resulting from it. Also Superman was pulling the whole "Oh I'm so hurt, weak and coward I am going to run to my fortress but please do not follow me" stunt. What can I say Superman could be a good wrestler, selling thrown buses like that; The Rock got nothing on Big Blue. Lets not forget the fact the movie is old as **** and effects weren't up to par by today standards. You're trying to take a few feats to overshadow how he was consistently portrayed on screen. Manholes hurt him when thrown by someone with super strength. He wasn't close to as powerful as he is in the comics and Thor's hammer would hurt him oh so badly if a coke advertisement and bus gave him pause.

Thor toyed with his opposition unlike Superman.

What did Superman do in superman returns then that proves he can break Thor ?

ares834
You're trying to take a few feats to overshadow how he was consistently portrayed on screen. Manholes hurt him when thrown by someone with super strength. He wasn't close to as powerful as he is in the comics and Thor's hammer would hurt him oh so badly if a coke advertisement and bus gave him pause.

Thor never fought anyone at Zod's level...

Lift an island that was partly composed of Kryptonite...

quanchi112
Thor never fought anyone at Zod's level...

Lift an island that was partly composed of Kryptonite... What level was Zod at ?

What does lifting an island prove ? He's strong sure but just because I can bench or deadlift more doesn't mean I can beat someone up.

ares834
What level was Zod at ?]

roll eyes (sarcastic) I wonder, could he be near Superman's level?

It means if he hit's Thor, he will "break" him.

rotiart
The dependency on Mjolnir in the movie was crazy imo. I have no idea where Thor started and it ended. After this, people will probably believe his power all comes from the hammer. Just watch.

Hope Fraction doesn't take this turn with the comics or some other writer who hasn't done his research. I f*cking hate him tbh. ahuh

Dependency....
Like in the original stories when he was banished to earth and turned into Donald Blake sound familiar to you? The movie is more akin to the original story origins... As a true Thor fan I'd think u of all people would see the similarities...

Zack Fair
You're trying to take a few feats to overshadow how he was consistently portrayed on screen. Manholes hurt him when thrown by someone with super strength. He wasn't close to as powerful as he is in the comics and Thor's hammer would hurt him oh so badly if a coke advertisement and bus gave him pause.

What did Superman do in superman returns then that proves he can break Thor ?

What? He was portrayed exactly like PC Supes was. Having insane high end feats and then ridiculously low end embarassments. If rewinding time by flying really really fast across the Earth doesn't scream PC Supes I don't know what will.

Also what coke sign? The only one standing near any sign was Zod when Supes redirected the heat vision at him using the mirror(ROFL). By the way I think it is silly to think the bus and "coke" sign as you put it were the cause behind Supes "pause" when he is fighting 3 kryptonians at the same time by his lonesome. Oh wait I remember Zod being thrown at the coke sign...too bad it wasn't Superman.

Thor's hammer will do his thing but I don't think it will put Supes down unless Thor manages to drop it on Kal-El.

quanchi112
roll eyes (sarcastic) I wonder, could he be near Superman's level?

It means if he hit's Thor, he will "break" him. Since when have you proven this level is beyond Thor's.

He didn't break Zod, I mean hell even luthor an dhis boys beat the snot out of superman whereas Thor in human form was pwning shield agents like nothing.

What? He was portrayed exactly like PC Supes was. Having insane high end feats and then ridiculously low end embarassments. If rewinding time by flying really really fast across the Earth doesn't scream PC Supes I don't know what will.

Also what coke sign? The only one standing near any sign was Zod when Supes redirected the heat vision at him using the mirror(ROFL). By the way I think it is silly to think the bus and "coke" sign as you put it were the cause behind Supes "pause" when he is fighting 3 kryptonians at the same time by his lonesome. Oh wait I remember Zod being thrown at the coke sign...too bad it wasn't Superman.

Thor's hammer will do his thing but I don't think it will put Supes down unless Thor manages to drop it on Kal-El. Thor easily broke the destroyer armor with his powers. It wasn't even much of a battle. Superman didn't really break anyone in combat or was portrayed as beyond any of his foes from what I recall while Thor was having the time of his life taking on supernatural foe after supernatural foe tying with them.

Point is if these things can damage Superman so can Thor's hammer and a lot more so especially considering how easily it was wrecking anyone who got in his way.

Zack Fair
The Destroyer Armor was nothing like the comic book counterpart. Superman was fighting 3 beings with his exact same powers and held his own quite well until the bus incident which made him realize how he was endangering civilians and thus he left to the fortress. Far more impressive than fighting a slow tank shooting energy beams.

Point is I didn't see a single blood shed or any real damage on Superman.

You are just trying to lowball Supes while putting Thor on a pedestal.

quanchi112
The Destroyer Armor was nothing like the comic book counterpart. Superman was fighting 3 beings with his exact same powers and held his own quite well until the bus incident which made him realize how he was endangering civilians and thus he left to the fortress. Far more impressive than fighting a slow tank shooting energy beams.

Point is I didn't see a single blood shed or any real damage on Superman.

You are just trying to lowball Supes while putting Thor on a pedestal. No, I am going off of their portrayals in the movie. Thor was >>>army of frost giants, destroyer, Loki with Odin's gungir, pretty much anyone who got in his way was easily beaten unlike Superman.

The other asgardians were useless as were the frost giants up against the destroyer. Thor is that good whereas Superman wasn't portrayed as simply beyond his foes.

Thor would encourage Superman to try his best and still beat him down.

Newjak
I will say this like I said before if this is Superman with all of his movie appearances he wins cause at the end of the day we need to see more from Thor. Not saying Thor couldn't compete but Superman did reverse the world which seems a bit out of reach for movie Thor right now and is the only feat shown by Superman out of Thor's league right now.

If we're just using Superman Returns Superman it is a close fight imo cause I don't see anything that Superman did that Thor probably couldn't have done to some extent or in some way but I would probably still pick Superman.

Zack Fair
No, I am going off of their portrayals in the movie. Thor was >>>army of frost giants, destroyer, Loki with Odin's gungir, pretty much anyone who got in his way was easily beaten unlike Superman.

An army of frost giants that did what exactly? Showed what durability? What did Destroyer do that Superman couldn't do with his heat vision? Again...what did Gungir do? Looks to me like you're taking them at face/name value and simply assume they were as powerful as their comic book counterparts. By the way I never made the claim movie Superman was PC Supes; that was someone else. Although I understand where he is coming from. Movie Supes has feats that mirror his comics counterpart. No one Thor fought was proven to be anywhere near Superman's level IMHO.

The other asgardians were useless as were the frost giants up against the destroyer. Thor is that good whereas Superman wasn't portrayed as simply beyond his foes.

Ain't they always useless? Thor is the pinnacle of asgardian physiology. The warriors 3 and Sif seemed to be taken straight out of LOTR. Superman's foes were pretty much equal to him. And he took on all of them. Far more impressive to hold your ground against enemies as formidable and powerful as you are than simply streamrolling through everything specially when they come off as unimpressive. Had the destroyer armor nuked a town and had Thor taken such hit head on then a case could be made; had the Destroyer done anything but blast shit left and right hell even a pimpslap from the destroyer didn't kill powerless thor right away.

Thor would encourage Superman to try his best and still beat him down.

durthor

---

Would love to see them fight though 131

A one hour 1on1 between them. Like a PPV match

quanchi112
An army of frost giants that did what exactly? Showed what durability? What did Destroyer do that Superman couldn't do with his heat vision? Again...what did Gungir do? Looks to me like you're taking them at face/name value and simply assume they were as powerful as their comic book counterparts. By the way I never made the claim movie Superman was PC Supes; that was someone else. Although I understand where he is coming from. Movie Supes has feats that mirror his comics counterpart. No one Thor fought was proven to be anywhere near Superman's level IMHO.

Ain't they always useless? Thor is the pinnacle of asgardian physiology. The warriors 3 and Sif seemed to be taken straight of LOTR. Superman's foes were pretty much equal to him. And he took on all of them. Far more impressive to hold your ground against enemies as formidable and powerful as you are than simply streamrolling through everything specially when they come off as unimpressive. Had the destroyer armor nuked a town and had Thor taken such hit head on then a case could be made, but as it stands it looks to me like you are assuming a no limits fallacy stance.

thordur The frost giants were super human as they were portrayed as taking on the asgardian army and Odin with the casket of winter. Who has Superman destroyed with his hv again ? What happened to Superman against the super computer again ? He was momentarily overwhelmed.

Superman never fought anyone at Thor's level because based off of portrayal he was simply above races of superhuman beings, Loki with gungir, and the Destroyer.

Superman tricked all of them and was unable to beat any of them. That's not the same as easily destroying your foes like Thor did while at the same time trying to save Loki's life time after time. Superman tricking them into becoming mortal men isn't physically beating anyone it's outsmarting them. LOL.

Destroyer armor was portrayed and showed he was above everyone he encountered save Thor. His abilities made the destroyer beatable but direct physical assault did very little to the destroyer based off of it's ability to reconstruct itself.

CosmicComet
Well, apparently the Thor video game is canon to the movie, so feats from that should be allowed too.

Rage hit us with some feats.

Mindset
In the game Thor killed Superman from the movies.

Zack Fair
The frost giants were super human as they were portrayed as taking on the asgardian army and Odin with the casket of winter. Who has Superman destroyed with his hv again ? What happened to Superman against the super computer again ? He was momentarily overwhelmed.

The Asgardian army consisted of axes and swords? Not really impressed. It was the frost giants vs odin. Really.

Hate to break it to you but Superman 3 and 4 are not canon to Superman 1/2/Returns.

Superman never fought anyone at Thor's level because based off of portrayal he was simply above races of superhuman beings, Loki with gungir, and the Destroyer

What? Superman is above any of those super human beings.

Superman tricked all of them and was unable to beat any of them. That's not the same as easily destroying your foes like Thor did while at the same time trying to save Loki's life time after time. Superman tricking them into becoming mortal men isn't physically beating anyone it's outsmarting them. LOL.

Superman couldn't beat them by himself because they were as powerful as him. No one looked as powerful as Thor, but then again none of them looked as powerful as movie Superman.

Destroyer armor was portrayed and showed he was above everyone he encountered save Thor. His abilities made the destroyer beatable but direct physical assault did very little to the destroyer based off of it's ability to reconstruct itself.

The destroyer armor was a complete disappointment. The only reason I don't hate it is because it was used as a plot device for Thor recovering his powers.

---

Game counting towards canon sounds interesting. if only that saved it from being a sucky game. Heard it was ok for Wii but not much for PS3/360.

D-Block

Have him apparate it out of thin air when he needs it/wants it to finish something quickly.

I agree with this

ares834
The dependency on Mjolnir in the movie was crazy imo. I have no idea where Thor started and it ended. After this, people will probably believe his power all comes from the hammer. Just watch

They did this to the Silver Surfer as well. Anyway it certainly seems to be Odin's spell that did this rather than the loss of his hammer. Hence why he is surprised when he is unable to break through his restraints or when he complains about being locked into this "mortal form".

Anyway, one thing I liked was how Odin was presented as some omnipotent god. Sure he was far more powerful than the average Asgardian, but even he was unable to defeat the troll legions by himself. In fact, Thor seemed superior to his father, which is more in league with the legends than the comics but I liked it.

quanchi112
The Asgardian army consisted of axes and swords? Not really impressed. It was the frost giants vs odin. Really.

Hate to break it to you but Superman 3 and 4 are not canon to Superman 1/2/Returns.

What? Superman is above any of those super human beings.

Superman couldn't beat them by himself because they were as powerful as him. No one looked as powerful as Thor, but then again none of them looked as powerful as movie Superman.

The destroyer armor was a complete disappointment. The only reason I don't hate it is because it was used as a plot device for Thor recovering his powers.

---

Game counting towards canon sounds interesting. if only that saved it from being a sucky game. Heard it was ok for Wii but not much for PS3/360. So ? These beings were super human. They weren't all Thor level beings but these guys could definitely go to war and rip Odin's eye out. It also wasn't just Odin vs. them if you think it was I suggest watching the movie again.

Superman 2 is which showed him not beat any super being under his own power.

Movie Superman didn't look that powerful or beyond or even at Thor's level. Thor was screwing around most of the time while Superman was desperate, retreated, and had to outsmart to beat three beings his own level. Hell, the other guy save Zod was just a dumb brute yet Superman failed to even best him under his own power.

I don't think so. You saying Superman being above everyone isn't really a debating tactic since you haven't proven it.

Destroyer armor isn't as powerful as in the comics but none of these characters are.

Allankles
He was fighting 3 kryptonians who could shrug off getting smashed through buildings or taking punches that could send them flying several blocks. They didn't need healing chambers every time they got hit by something major.

By contrast everytime a jotun got hit, they died.

Supes himself was getting driven through several feet of concrete and showing no signs of damage.

He was also concerned with the innocent bystanders. In one instance after he threw Zod into a skyscraper he had to use his super speed to save a bystander from the falling debris. All of this just meant he couldn't win a direct physical fight without destroying more than he was willing to sacrifice.

It's a testament to how powerful the 3 kryptonians were that a guy who can reverse time on a planetary scale with sheer speed and who can prevent tectonic plates from sinking needed a clever ruse to win.

Silent Master
That must have been a heavy bus, since it took a guy that "could reverse time on a planetary scale with sheer speed and prevent tectonic plates from sinking" almost an entire minute to get free.

Parmaniac
Well, apparently the Thor video game is canon to the movie, so feats from that should be allowed too. I have a hard time believing this.

joesha28
Movie Thor... Superman returns was crapped. Thor will beat Superman w/o breaking a sweat.

Prep-Man
Superman.

Newjak
He was fighting 3 kryptonians who could shrug off getting smashed through buildings or taking punches that could send them flying several blocks. They didn't need healing chambers every time they got hit by something major.

Supes himself was getting driven through several feet of concrete and showing no signs of damage.

He was also concerned with the innocent bystanders. In one instance after he threw Zod into a skyscraper he had to use his super speed to save a bystander from the falling debris. All of this just meant he couldn't win a direct physical fight without destroying more than he was willing to sacrifice.

It's a testament to how powerful the 3 kryptonians were that a guy who can reverse time on a planetary scale with sheer speed and who can prevent tectonic plates from sinking needed a clever ruse to win. Well Thor never had to use the Healing Chambers at all.

The only time we see him get hit from the Jotuns he laughed it off. He also took attacks from Odin's spear.

Plus while the Jotun obviously aren't near Zod in power they were still very dangerous beings. Their touch instantly froze off Loki's armor. Their mere presence caused solid objects to ice over with ease. And the ice weapons they formed were strong enough to counter asgardian metal for a time.

Plus Thor did survive that big explosion at the end unscathed.

Thor I think was shown to be pretty tough in his own right in this movie.

CosmicComet
Originally posted by Parmaniac
I have a hard time believing this.

That it's canon to the movie? Why is that hard to believe?

I think Rage said it's supposed to take place before the movie.

quanchi112

It's a testament to how powerful the 3 kryptonians were that a guy who can reverse time on a planetary scale with sheer speed and who can prevent tectonic plates from sinking needed a clever ruse to win. When did Thor have to use the healing chambers ? So Heimdall after being completely frozen through by the casket of winters is somehow proof of what in regards to Thor ? LOL.

Thor was basically laughing off attacks by the destroyer, frost giants, Odin's spear, etc. and still easily dominating anyone in his path.

Reversing time has nothing to do with how he is portrayed in combat. Nothing. You bringing this up proves nothing other than when he's really upset because his gf died he can reverse time by flying over an dover earth at his fastest speeds.

It shows Superman was an equal to them all and needed to outsmart them to defeat any of them.

playa1258
Movie Superman was able to easily lift the moon , lift the San Andreas fault, Lift and Hurl a island into space made of kryptonite. He was also able to move at near light speed on earth

Zack Fair
Originally posted by Newjak
Well Thor never had to use the Healing Chambers at all.

The only time we see him get hit from the Jotuns he laughed it off. He also took attacks from Odin's spear.

Plus while the Jotun obviously aren't near Zod in power they were still very dangerous beings. Their touch instantly froze off Loki's armor. Their mere presence caused solid objects to ice over with ease. And the ice weapons they formed were strong enough to counter asgardian metal for a time.

Plus Thor did survive that big explosion at the end unscathed.

Thor I think was shown to be pretty tough in his own right in this movie.

No one ever denied Thor was tough in his own right. He is pretty much 2nd to Supes in overall impressive feats in comic book movies IMO.

Parmaniac
That it's canon to the movie? Why is that hard to believe?

I think Rage said it's supposed to take place before the movie. If I'm not mistaken he takes down pretty much his entire villain roster. Which would be retarded if he really does all that shit before the actual movie. At least imo.

Zack Fair
That is how comic book video games are though. Superman took on his rogue's gallery in the shitty Superman Returns videogame. Spidey does it on a yearly basis and Logan did in his movie tie-in(good game by the way)

D-Block

I think the creator said that the game has nothing to do with the movie. On marvel.com

Rage.Of.Olympus

I read or heard it an interview. If I'm right, Thor definitely has some impressive feats to add to his name.

He has various shit like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YrzHOvHP0E&feature=watch_response#t=08m30s
http://www.youtube.com/user/wajinshu#p/u/4/B9J-CNwv6Hs#t=07m18s

Rage.Of.Olympus
What do you mean?

That's how he fights in the comics, albeit with more powers, but ofc he'll be weaker in a movie.

erm

I don't think Thor struck even a single opponent without his hammer. In the comics, he alternates between fist and hammer without any real difference. You can tell it's where the strength comes from. In the movie, all his power seems to stem from the hammer.

I doubt his a lot stronger and tougher than his fellow Asgardians.

Kirby and Lee got it right the first time. With Mjolnir, Thor is bar none the most powerful hero in Marvel. Sorry Surfer fans. Without it, he's still the physical equal of even the Hulk and has more power. A case for him taking the no. 1 spot can still be made as well.

Newjak
No one ever denied Thor was tough in his own right. He is pretty much 2nd to Supes in overall impressive feats in comic book movies IMO. I believe the same thing.

Parmaniac
That is how comic book video games are though. Superman took on his rogue's gallery in the shitty Superman Returns videogame. Spidey does it on a yearly basis and Logan did in his movie tie-in(good game by the way) That's why I think that games are not canon to movie story, the Spider-man games pretty much contradict with the movie because he fights more villains in them it makes next to no sense to think they're canon to the movie plot.

Rage.Of.Olympus
That's what I read. srug

It was either on Marvel.com or comicbookmovies.com. I'll look for it in a bit.

srankmissingnin
Thor never really had to break a sweet in the movie so we don't know what capable off, but Superman has better feats. It is pointless to theorize about what Thor might do in a later movie, so until the time another movie comes out Superman wins.

Rage.Of.Olympus
Agreed.

playa1258
I agree Thor is the most powerful Hero in the Marvel universe

Mecel
I give it to Superman for now until we see more movies with Thor. I would love to see the next Superman movie where (fingers crossed) he actually has a real fight =0

Lord Feron
Superman Greater pure strength feats. BUt IMO Thor offensive output was displayed to be greater than anything Superman ever did in the movie.

If it came to a fight Thor has the moves to smash Superman senseless but Supes has the strength and durability to take it for a while.

He could if thor had the chance put the hammer on top of superman like he did to Loki. And just stomp in superman's face.

Batman-Prime
IMHO Movie Superman >> Movie Thor, featwise.
Stronger, faster and a more willpower.

Thor was impressive to a degree, fighting skills, Mjolnir but his enemies were not really that impressive (Sif took out the Destroyer for some seconds...), nor were his fellow Asgardians some uber-gods. Maybe he will show his high end potential in the Avengers Movie, till then Superman stomps. I'm even tempted to say that Movie IronMan would beat Movie Thor for a majority...

Thor's best strength feat was, when he knocked over the table btw...

Anyway, Mjolnir would do shit on top of Superman. Superman from 1+2 and even the one from Superman Returns is more then worthy enough to lift it with ease... IMHO

Silent Master
Just like the comics, Movie Superman wouldn't be worthy.

Zack Fair
He shouldn't be able to pick it up, but who knows.

Superman being able to wield the hammer is not necessary for him to win though.

Batman-Prime
Just like the comics, Movie Superman wouldn't be worthy.

In the comics he was worthy. And going by the Movie and seeing how Thor became worthy again, Supes would be worthy for sure...

Silent Master
Originally posted by Batman-Prime
In the comics he was worthy. And going by the Movie and seeing how Thor became worthy again, Supes would be worthy for sure...

No he wasn't, he was allowed to use the hammer because of the circumstances, Thor flat out states this and it's proven by Superman then failing to lift the hammer after the emergency was over.

And no, Movie Superman hasn't done anything that would make me believe he was worthy.

Batman-Prime
No he wasn't, he was allowed to use the hammer because of the circumstances, Thor flat out states this and it's proven by Superman then failing to lift the hammer after the emergency was over.

And no, Movie Superman hasn't done anything that would make me believe he was worthy.

In comics he was worthy. The first time when he simply blocked it and koed Thor (circumstance was to kick Thors ass then, right?). Then he was allowed because of the cicumstances ("Thor's father ain't stupid"wink. Anyway, you can twist it like you want, in a fight he was able to block/hold it, he would do so again.

And yes, he has done enough to make me believe he is worthy.

Silent Master
In comics he was worthy. The first time when he simply blocked it and koed Thor (circumstance was to kick Thors ass then, right?). Then he was allowed because of the cicumstances because "Thor's father ain't stupid".

And yes, he has done enough to make me believe he is worthy.

After the emergency was over, Superman was shown trying and failing to lift Mjolnir.

IOW, He wasn't worthy.

Batman-Prime
After the emergency was over, Superman was shown trying and failing to lift Mjolnir.

IOW, He wasn't worthy.

Yet he was worhty, when he had to defeat Thor, hmmmm.

Silent Master
He didn't lift Mjolnir during that fight.

Batman-Prime
He didn't lift Mjolnir during that fight.

Worse, he stopped it, while Thor put all his strength in that blow. Quite embarrasing... he didn't get Thors wrist but the Hammer...

Silent Master
There is no enchantment that states only worthy people can block Mjolnir....the fact remains that Superman was shown failing to lift Mjolnir at the end of issue#4.

IOW, he's not worthy.

Batman-Prime
There is no enchantment that states only worthy people can block Mjolnir....the fact remains that Superman was shown failing to lift Mjolnir at the end of issue#4.

IOW, he's not worthy.

If someone is worthy depends on the situation. IOW if he fights Thor, he is worthy.

Silent Master
If someone is worthy depends on the situation. IOW if he fights Thor, he is worthy.

Prove it.

Batman-Prime
Prove it.

Superman vs Thor, look at the fight and who won.

Silent Master
That doesn't prove Superman is worthy of lifting Mjolnir.

Batman-Prime
That doesn't prove Superman is worthy of lifting Mjolnir.

I disagree

but

you bore me

so

i move on.

Silent Master
The comics have never that mentioned beating Thor in a fight is a method of proving worthiness.

quanchi112
In the comics he was worthy. And going by the Movie and seeing how Thor became worthy again, Supes would be worthy for sure... Superman wasn't worthy in the crossover it was due to the extenuating circumstances. he failed to lift the hammer when the crisis was averted. I also see no precedent for anyone other than Thor to lift movie Thor's hammer. You arguing Superman can when there is absolutely no proof of any kind in the thor movie.

Thor wins. Portrayal wise too good of a fighter and too skilled with the hammer for Superman.

Silent Master
The comics have never that mentioned beating Thor in a fight is a method of proving worthiness.

That should be, The comics have never mentioned that beating Thor in a fight is a method of proving worthiness

playa1258
Superman wasn't worthy in the crossover it was due to the extenuating circumstances. he failed to lift the hammer when the crisis was averted. I also see no precedent for anyone other than Thor to lift movie Thor's hammer. You arguing Superman can when there is absolutely no proof of any kind in the thor movie.

Thor wins. Portrayal wise too good of a fighter and too skilled with the hammer for Superman.

Despite Superman being Stronger and Faster?

Silent Master
Originally posted by playa1258
Despite Superman being Stronger and Faster?

Movie Superman never fought at superspeed.

Zack Fair
lol...Superman being worthy for beating Thor's ass. That would mean a lot of people would be able to lift it.

Too good of a fighter and too good with the hammer? Really, that is Thor's case for defeating movie Supes? Sucks to be him.

Silent Master
I guess Iron-man, Simon, She-Hulk, Vision and Hercules would also be worthy...seeing as the beat Superman into the dirt afterwards.

Zack Fair
If they beat Thor shifty

Silent Master
They beat the person that beat Thor...that should make them extra worthy. smokin'

Zack Fair
I see dur

Rage.Of.Olympus

If Clark was worthy, it was only temporary due to the threat.

In comics he was worthy. The first time when he simply blocked it and koed Thor (circumstance was to kick Thors ass then, right?). Then he was allowed because of the cicumstances ("Thor's father ain't stupid"wink. Anyway, you can twist it like you want, in a fight he was able to block/hold it, he would do so again.

And yes, he has done enough to make me believe he is worthy. Originally posted by Batman-Prime
Worse, he stopped it, while Thor put all his strength in that blow. Quite embarrasing... he didn't get Thors wrist but the Hammer...

That's not how the enchantment works.

Tazer
Yo.

the only time we saw Thor FIGHT was when he was w/o Mjolnir; everything else was done via the hammer (even dispatching the D-armor didnt involve a fight if we're being honest, since its not like he engaged it physically.)

theres no doubt that a hammer-strike would knock Supes for a loop, but we've not seen how strong/durable he is w/o it (when not depowered), and Id reckon a punch from *him* would give him pause.

Supes doesnt really have *any* feats where he puts his STR up against another person, but similarly Thor never really fought any1 who was his equal either (and no, Loki wasnt even WITH his fathers weapon, as its an assumption that he was using Gungir, which would be *false* since its a spear, not a staff.)

Tazer

Uriel005
Originally posted by Tazer
Yo.

the only time we saw Thor FIGHT was when he was w/o Mjolnir; everything else was done via the hammer (even dispatching the D-armor didnt involve a fight if we're being honest, since its not like he engaged it physically.)

theres no doubt that a hammer-strike would knock Supes for a loop, but we've not seen how strong/durable he is w/o it (when not depowered), and Id reckon a punch from *him* would give him pause.

Supes doesnt really have *any* feats where he puts his STR up against another person, but similarly Thor never really fought any1 who was his equal either (and no, Loki wasnt even WITH his fathers weapon, as its an assumption that he was using Gungir, which would be *false* since its a spear, not a staff.)

Tazer Sad we can't use destroyer because it was weaksauce even considering it wasn't OF, Norn or All Asgard powered. Worse still is that Laufey is weaksauce compared Ymir and anyone of the warriors 3 in comic could probably 50/50 him in a fight.

Tazer
Yo.

tbch, Im not sure we can even call that "security drone" the D-armor given its performance, and its lacking a proper referral (I dont think any1 ever actually CALLED IT the Destroyer...........ya know?)

Tazer

Black bolt z
IS anyone with me on thor using mjolnir as an ultimate paper weight again on supes biscuits

Zack Fair
IS anyone with me on thor using mjolnir as an ultimate paper weight again on supes biscuits

Good luck with that. biscuits

Silent Master
It would be rather funny.

Tazer
Yo.

that was a HILARIOUS moment in the movie, and yea, I *would* pay money to see THAT done to Supes....... laughing

Tazer

Zack Fair
It wasn't funny for Loki you asgardian trolls! durhulk

quanchi112
Originally posted by playa1258
Despite Superman being Stronger and Faster? I don't see a huge difference at all in terms of combat speed in how these two were portrayed. Thor seems ten times the fighter in the movie as Superman has been portrayed in any of his movies. Depowered the guy got his ass beat by some bully at a diner.

laughing out loud Originally posted by Tazer
Yo.

Tazer Thor wasn't phased at all by really anything thrown his way so despite his hammer crutch it's always with him and can easily be summoned to his side.

I see Thor winning based off of being a superior, skilled warrior who fights for sport and still comes out on top.

tkitna
Superman was also trying to save the people inside of the bus. What would have happened to them had he just decided to stand there and take it? They would have probably died by the feedback resulting from it.

Hmmmm, sounds awfully familiar to a certain helicarrier and the Sentry. Just saying.

Back to the topic at hand, I dont think we can call this one. Superman had some crazy feats like lifting the island (although he took a sundip before he did it) and reversing time and so forth, but to be honest, Thor didnt seem challenged in his movie. The Destroyer was a joke and the frost giants werent very impressive.

I cant call it.

CosmicComet
^Superman did not sundip.

He simply flew up to the stratosphere/troposphere to get some sunlight because the clouds were too thick below that level. Basically, he went up to a point where he often is while flying anyway.

All that exposure to the Sun did was heal him a bit from being stabbed by the k-crystal, it did not amp him in the least. He was still less than 100%.

Zack Fair
Originally posted by tkitna
Hmmmm, sounds awfully familiar to a certain helicarrier and the Sentry. Just saying.

I was thinking about the jumbo plane scene from Superman Returns, but yah.

Tazer
Yo.

I don't see a huge difference at all in terms of combat speed in how these two were portrayed. Thor seems ten times the fighter in the movie as Superman has been portrayed in any of his movies. Depowered the guy got his ass beat by some bully at a diner.

laughing out loud Thor wasn't phased at all by really anything thrown his way so despite his hammer crutch it's always with him and can easily be summoned to his side.

I see Thor winning based off of being a superior, skilled warrior who fights for sport and still comes out on top.

h2h its not a contest, but I also think its fair to point out that we only saw him do so when he fought humans, so theres no indication of how well his skills would carry him in a fight against other Asgardians (who wouldve been in much the same types of battles as him), OR the Frost Giants, w/o Mjolnir.

granted his *wasnt* phased by much, but then again he also kept everything away from him too; he didnt engage anything w/in arms reach besides Loki, and he's no fighter at all going by wat we saw. Id also wager Supes couldve survived *atleast* 1 solid hit from the D-armor AND remain conscious, while while we saw how badly hurt Volstagg & Sif got from near misses.

based off the movies involved, I dont see Thors "superior skills" doing much to win him this fight; his move against the D-armor wouldnt work since hes capable of flight, and going by his lone STR-feat of *barely being able to* flip over that dinning hall table I dont see a h2h fight making Supes even noticing he got touched.

Mjolnir is the only thing which could get him a win here, and even then I dont think he has the displayed feats that could give him a majority win.

Tazer

Rage.Of.Olympus
Superman's a bit of a pussy so Thor's superior combat skills might allow him to hang for longer than he should, but I think Clark would eventually win on raw power alone.

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>