Immortals

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Kazenji
7VdONYkKFmQ

is loosely based on the Greek myth of Theseus and the Minotaur and the Titanomachy.

dadudemon
Looks fun.

marwash22
this looks like a win. i thought it was a 300 spinoff at first, kinda happy it isnt.

Esau Cairn
I personally cannot stand period-movies where the armour is brand new & not tarnished by the elements or dented & scratched by battle.
And even the peasants walking around in rags that look like they've come from the dry cleaners.

marwash22
no expression

RE: Blaxican
Originally posted by marwash22
no expression

Patient_Leech
I just recently saw the trailer for this. I want it to be good so badly, but I fear it'll be awful.. : ( I think the director is talented and visually skilled (watch The Cell!), but this kinda looks like a mess even on the trailer; albeit an entertaining mess. It looks like Troy meets Thor meets 300. And I think Troy is the best of the three because it has such a good story that it didn't need a bunch of supernatural BS to make it appealing. *raises glass* Here's to hoping!

Mr. Rhythmic
Good lord, this movie has no shame.

BruceSkywalker
thinking about seeing this

quanchi112
this looks like a win. i thought it was a 300 spinoff at first, kinda happy it isnt. Agreed that I am also happy it isn't.

ares834
Originally posted by Mr. Rhythmic
Good lord, this movie has no shame.

laughing

So true.

Looks fun though.

Patient_Leech
Originally posted by Esau Cairn
I personally cannot stand period-movies where the armour is brand new & not tarnished by the elements or dented & scratched by battle.
And even the peasants walking around in rags that look like they've come from the dry cleaners.

Lol, yeah. I guess that's the supernatural element to it all.. THE GODS!! lmao. I think I'd prefer a more realistic and dingy look as well. Troy, to me, kicked ass in that respect.

Oh man, I hope this doesn't suck. It comes out shortly after my birthday.. pray Praying is a waste of time, I probably should just lower my expectations.. lol laughing

Robtard
Looks like 300 for the Twilight crowd. This will be pure shit in the likes of Sucker Punch.

quanchi112
Originally posted by Robtard
Looks like 300 for the Twilight crowd. This will be pure shit in the likes of Sucker Punch. Sucker Punch was terrible if this comes anywhere near that level of pure fail I will be shocked. I don't have high hopes but do plan on being entertained.

Patient_Leech
Lol, well put, quanchi.

Robtard
Originally posted by quanchi112
Sucker Punch was terrible if this comes anywhere near that level of pure fail I will be shocked. I don't have high hopes but do plan on being entertained.

Prepare to be shocked.

quanchi112
Prepare to be shocked. Like a preview can let you down or something.

Kazenji
KToeya51sKM

the ninjak
Now that's a trailer!

But one thing I have learnt is that you can never judge a movie by its trailer.

ADarksideJedi
I think it looks the sane as 300 which was a very disapointing and waste of money to go see movie.

Kazenji
Originally posted by ADarksideJedi
I think it looks the sane as 300

Well yeah maybe done the same way but for story not really.

Jack Angel
I love these types of movies always catch my attention this looks really good. That guy that says theres only one human who can lead an army or whatever is that the same guy that played apollo on clash of the titans?

Mr. Marshall
Tarsem Singh rocks, I love the style he adds to his films. Immortals looks epic, can't wait to see it.

BackFire
This movie looks ****ing awful. Looks like something that should have gone straight to DVD.

BruceSkywalker
will see this on friday, i hope its decent

Kazenji
Its bullshit with the advertising for the posters 11/11/11

it does'nt even come out on that day in Australia.

Mindset
Who cares about Australia? lulface

Kazenji
Yeah well suffer yourself when we get certain movies before you.

Patient_Leech
I'm looking forward to seeing this. Might wait until my girlfriend is available to do so, though. I'm not expecting much. The plot sounds like the same cliche we're used to, but hopefully it'll be fun. I think it'll at least be visually entertaining. He's a very good visual director.

Mindset
Originally posted by Kazenji
Yeah well suffer yourself when we get certain movies before you. I don't know when movies are released in other countries.

quanchi112
Seeing this tomorrow night. You can all wait until I get home to weigh on.

Kazenji
Wow.....Mickey Rouke has gone all out Says Immortals Isn't "Some Marvel Piece Of Crap"

http://comicbookmovie.com/fansites/rorschachsrants/news/?a=49681

Patient_Leech
Seeing this tomorrow night. You can all wait until I get home to weigh on.

I'll of course be interested to hear what you think. But they obviously weren't expecting good reviews because they are just now rolling in and they aren't very good; however, it does sound like it's very visually impressive. And violent. Lol

BruceSkywalker
just saw this..

liked it but felt it should've been better.. Cavill was pretty good as Theseus.. it will be interesting to see how this does

Esau Cairn
Wow.....Mickey Rouke has gone all out Says Immortals Isn't "Some Marvel Piece Of Crap"

http://comicbookmovie.com/fansites/rorschachsrants/news/?a=49681

Well I personally felt he could've had a better character to play & more screen time in Iron Man 2.

That final battle & his demise was truly forgettable & not by Rourke's fault at all.

Kazenji
Originally posted by Patient_Leech
I'll of course be interested to hear what you think. But they obviously weren't expecting good reviews because they are just now rolling in and they aren't very good; however, it does sound like it's very visually impressive. And violent. Lol

So in other words if you want action and very little story you'll enjoy it.

Patient_Leech
So in other words if you want action and very little story you'll enjoy it.

And flat characters, yeah. :/ I hope it's still enjoyable, cuz Tarsem has such a unique visual style. I just watched the trailer for The Fall. That looks pretty awesome.. has anyone seen it?

Patient_Leech
This quote that I read on Rotten Tomatoes gives me hope:

jconc1941
i thought this movie was pretty cool! https://fitnessgalore.info/fitness/upload/35/c/wink.gif

quanchi112
Not as good as 300 by any means but still entertaining. The best part was the entire last battle scene.

Patient_Leech
Not as good as 300 by any means but still entertaining. The best part was the entire last battle scene.

See, I don't really like 300 much. It's entertaining, and I'll watch it if it's on, cuz it's pretty mesmerizing, but I don't think I can really take it too seriously.. lol

siriuswriter
Is that Hermes who comes to tell Theseus that he's "the only one who can beat the Titans?" or what-have-you?

Patient_Leech
shocking shocking shocking

Okay, where do I begin.. This movie f*#king rocked.

I don't know if it was because of the 3D, or the extra intense volume of the theater (I'm probably deaf now), or my wonderful date next to me, or the music, or the visuals of the costumes and scenery, or perhaps it was everything combined... but this movie kicks ass. I pretty much had chills the entire time. And there are moments when your jaw will drop. That being said, I suppose there could have been a bit more to develop with the characters, but I don't think it needed much else. And the plot is perhaps unoriginal, but the execution is extremely original. To me it worked. Having seen The Cell several times, I can totally see that this is how his filmmaking would evolve. It's definitely got his stamp on it. I love his filmmaking.

Go see it. Go see it in 3D. It is a visual feast. It looks amazing. I'm beginning to think that Tarsem is a visual genius. In such a visual medium, there needs to be more directors like this. F*#k yeah. It's not like it's advertised on the trailers and I'm glad it's not. It's intense. You won't be able to look away. I can see why Mickey Rourke gloated about this movie... it's no f*#king joke. It's definitely uncompromising. And after I walked out I knew why they checked my ID.. damn.

My advice: ignore what critics have said and decide what you think of it. When so much is right with this film, it seems unfair that it is being condemned.

quanchi112
This movie was far better than robtard who claimed it'd be an epic failure. Robtard was wrong once again.

Robtard
This movie was far better than robtard who claimed it'd be an epic failure. Robtard was wrong once again.

You're trying way too hard again, man. Let it go.

Damn Rob, he just swaggo'd all over you bro.

quanchi112
You're trying way too hard again, man. Let it go. Originally posted by Robtard
Looks like 300 for the Twilight crowd. This will be pure shit in the likes of Sucker Punch. Originally posted by Robtard
Prepare to be shocked. You just can't admit when you're wrong. Comparing this to twilight and sucker punch. Please slap yourself about ten times for this blasphemy.

Robtard
Originally posted by RE: Blaxican
Damn Rob, he just swaggo'd all over you bro.

No, he didn't do any sort of thing. He's just trying way too hard to get back at me, when he should just let the butt-hurt go and move on with his life.

I'd also question his opinion of films, he thinks Freddy Vs Jason was great after all.

Mark Question

quanchi112
No, he didn't do any sort of thing. He's just trying way too hard to get back at me, when he should just let the butt-hurt go and move on with his life.

I'd also question his opinion of films, he thinks Freddy Vs Jason was great after all. Freddy vs. Jason was nostalgic in the manner of I grew up watching the Freddy/Jason flicks and I wasn't disappointed. It wasn't a great stand alone movie but something I was pleased with based off my interest in the 2 characters.

You claimed it'd be as bad as twilight and sucker punch. That's about as low as you can get. Mickey Rourke was pretty cool to as the antagonist as Hyperion.

Robtard
Freddy vs. Jason was nostalgic in the manner of I grew up watching the Freddy/Jason flicks and I wasn't disappointed. It wasn't a great stand alone movie but something I was pleased with based off my interest in the 2 characters.

You claimed it'd be as bad as twilight and sucker punch. That's about as low as you can get. Mickey Rourke was pretty cool to as the antagonist as Hyperion.

You don't have to explain your shitty taste in films to me, man. How you waste your time is none of my business.

And it very well could be; I'm reserving final judgement until I see it, if I ever do.

quanchi112
You don't have to explain your shitty taste in films to me, man. How you waste your time is none of my business.

And it very well could be; I'm reserving final judgement until I see it, if I ever do. You incorrectly stated my opinion though so I will correct you when you are wrong.

So you are saying you have already basically decided about this film and you may or may not ever see it to begin with. This shows I am open minded whereas you are so stubborn you will cast pre judgment without the desire to ever maybe seeing the film in the first place. For shame, ron.

Robtard
You incorrectly stated my opinion though so I will correct you when you are wrong.

So you are saying you have already basically decided about this film and you may or may not ever see it to begin with. This shows I am open minded whereas you are so stubborn you will cast pre judgment without the desire to ever maybe seeing the film in the first place. For shame, ron.

Lol, I did no such thing, you've said you thought Freddy Vs Jason was great and you just confirmed that you were pleased by it. Again, your shitty taste in films is none of my business, why you feel the need to defend it to me by lying now is silly. Let it go, man; move on. I don't care; neither should you.

If you had basic comprehension skills you'd understand what the line "reserving final judgement until I see it" means. But sadly, you don't and I can't be bothered to spell things out for you again. So do some more flips for me. Go.

quanchi112
Lol, I did no such thing, you've said you thought Freddy Vs Jason was great and you just confirmed that you were pleased by it. Again, your shitty taste in films is none of my business, why you feel the need to defend it to me by lying now is silly. Let it go, man; move on. I don't care; neither should you.

If you had basic comprehension skills you'd understand what the line "reserving final judgement until I see it" means. But sadly, you don't and I can't be bothered to spell things out for you again. So do some more flips for me. Go. I said it was great based upon nostalgic factor which you didn't know until I told you.

You just said you may not see it which means your pre judgment about a movie based off of mythological gods isn't good enough to see. I don't know I like this sort of thing but maybe romantic comedies are more your taste like when harry met sally.

Robtard
I said it was great based upon nostalgic factor which you didn't know until I told you.

You just said you may not see it which means your pre judgment about a movie based off of mythological gods isn't good enough to see. I don't know I like this sort of thing but maybe romantic comedies are more your taste like when harry met sally.

You think Freddy Vs Jason is a great film, so what I said. Accept it and move on, I don't care about your shitty taste in films; you shouldn't be so obsessed about my opinion of you. Move on, man.

People often decide if they want to see a film or not see a film based on previews and reviews, duh, more common sense that escapes you. There's a good Quanchi, doing the flips I asked for.

quanchi112
You think Freddy Vs Jason is a great film, so what I said. Accept it and move on, I don't care about your shitty taste in films; you shouldn't be so obsessed about my opinion of you. Move on, man.

People often decide if they want to see a film or not see a film based on previews and reviews, duh, more common sense that escapes you. There's a good Quanchi, doing the flips I asked for. It caters to my nostalgic sensibilities. You are now aware of this.

I don't let other people decide what my opinion is you seem like you've lived your entire life by pre judging or letting others decide what it is you like and what it is you won't like. I am trying to help you.

Mr. Marshall
People are allowed to have opinions that differ from others, they are allowed to say that opinion and they are allowed to say that opinion without being attacked

I highly suggest that you guys try that.

quanchi112
Originally posted by Mr. Marshall
People are allowed to have opinions that differ from others, they are allowed to say that opinion and they are allowed to say that opinion without being attacked

I highly suggest that you guys try that. This is just in good fun.

Patient_Leech

Mark Question

Patient_Leech
I would certainly watch a Director's Cut. But I hope there isn't one. I think directors should be allowed to make their films the way they want them the first time. Having alternate versions of movies generally gets on my nerves. But if a Director's Cut will improve some of the characterization, I'd be up for it, I guess. The Director's Cut for Troy is awesome. I remember people telling me that movie was terrible (they probably only saw the theatrical version), but I watched the DC and it kicked ass. Immortals reminds me of Troy a little bit, just more... supernatural.

Now, I'm hoping for a sequel... as long as it's done by Tarsem. They seemed to end it on a note that could imply a sequel. Hopefully it'll do well at the box office. *crosses fingers* It's already done pretty well. Opened at #1. Cost $75 million to make and has already made $70 million worldwide. But f*#king Twilight comes out next weekend, so that'll hurt it.. mad

quanchi112
I agree having it open a week prior to Twilight is going to kill the film. If they would have done so two weeks prior or so I can see it making far more cash but the twilight crowd is going to steamroll it. I' dlike for another sequel especially how it ends.

Who was your favorite character of the film, leech ?

Patient_Leech
Who was your favorite character of the film, leech ?

The old and wise John Hurt! haha.. Hyperion sure was a fun bad guy to watch, too.

quanchi112
The old and wise John Hurt! haha.. Hyperion sure was a fun bad guy to watch, too. My favorite was Hyperion. The man was on a mission and nothing was going to deter him from achieving it.

Patient_Leech
I thought the part where Theseus' mother was killed right in front of him was quite moving and well done. And another of the more moving moments was when Phaedra's oracle friends were found in the calf statue. And again, to me, these things were done so well, I really don't understand the poor reviews.. it sucks that this director isn't getting the credit due to him. He is indeed a visionary.

I downloaded the soundtrack. It's quite good. It definitely brought the movie to life in a creepy and effective way.

Lewis21
i had seen the trailors of Hollywood new movie "IMMORTALS" i am waiting for my next holiday i will surely enjoy this movie.
________
How to Become Foster Parents Milwaukee WI

quanchi112
I am probably going to see it one more time in the theatre. I saw it in real d the first time this time just regular viewing.

Patient_Leech
I saw it in RPX 3D. I've seen a couple Real D movies and I think RPX was better. It's extremely loud and intense. But yeah, I'd like to see it again in the theater, but I'd probably go normal, too, just cuz it's so expensive. However, there won't be any other chances to see it in all it's glory.. lol. I'm definitely buying this when it comes out, though. Can't wait to freeze-frame so many shots.

Dude... did your jaw drop when the gods were splattering heads and body parts to oblivion in slow motion? (And then you get to see it again in that final shot with the gods fighting in the sky.) Jesus Christ!! My jaw literally dropped during those parts. Violence has never been so magnificent.. haha.. laughing

quanchi112
I saw it in RPX 3D. I've seen a couple Real D movies and I think RPX was better. It's extremely loud and intense. But yeah, I'd like to see it again in the theater, but I'd probably go normal, too, just cuz it's so expensive. However, there won't be any other chances to see it in all it's glory.. lol. I'm definitely buying this when it comes out, though. Can't wait to freeze-frame so many shots.

Dude... did your jaw drop when the gods were splattering heads and body parts to oblivion in slow motion? (And then you get to see it again in that final shot with the gods fighting in the sky.) Jesus Christ!! My jaw literally dropped during those parts. Violence has never been so magnificent.. haha.. laughing You sound as if you were turned on in the theatre.

Mindset
Just saw it, it was pretty good.

7/10

Patient_Leech
You sound as if you were turned on in the theatre.

Very much so. It was visually exciting.

NeoGills
I hate this type of movie. just boring me all the time.

Kazenji

My advice: ignore what critics have said and decide what you think of it. When so much is right with this film, it seems unfair that it is being condemned.

Yeah that happens alot or some films.

Patient_Leech
So, put into perspective, that's really good. It's also a hell of a lot better than Clash of the Titans and arguably (in my opinion) better than 300. It will, of course, gather much more street cred than Clash of the Titans, which was terrible.

Mark Question

. But if a Director's Cut will improve some of the characterization, :

This would be good.

quanchi112
Saw this again leech and it was better the second time.

Patient_Leech
Saw this again leech and it was better the second time.

Cool. Good to know. I might try to get out and see it again, then. But would you care to elaborate?

Kazenji
Enjoyed it myself, a different depiction of the titans from i've seen mainly the God Of War games but i got used to it

8/10

jhonebrin
Awesome movie and great sound in this movie.....i loved it

Patient_Leech
I saw it again. Liked it even more the second time, also. It flows better and is easier to follow. I think Tarsem's visual style is a perfect marriage for 3D. My god. I could go into my interpretation of the movie, but it gets a bit spiritual and technical, so i'll just sum it up by saying I think this is perhaps the greatest thing i've seen on the silver screen. big grin It's magnificent.. f*#k the critics on this one. They don't get it.

super pr*xy
to hell with the critics and their high horses.. this movie was a thousand times better than clash of the titans.. the best part of COTT was the kraken.. immortals, however.. its sfx porn.. i like the story, which actually revolved around thesseus and not just the bow.. the brazen bull and the minotaur were just nicely interpreted.. and the climax, titans vs the gods.. nerd-gasm through and through..

claire32
Its an awesome to watch ........

Saw this today in 3D. Movie was shit, imo. Were the graphics pretty good? Yah the art direction was excellent and it's prolly the best 3D movie I've ever seen. Wunderbar.

As far as being an actual movie though, it sucked. Characters were walking cliches and pretty 1-dimensional, the dialogue was stiff and a lot of it was forced, and there was just a lot of plot inconsistencies and build up for scenes that never happened.

I give it a 6/10, frankly.

Patient_Leech
As far as being an actual movie though, it sucked. Characters were walking cliches and pretty 1-dimensional, the dialogue was stiff and a lot of it was forced...

I think that's all pretty valid, but when everything is so damn dark and pretty to look at, it really didn't bother me! Haha.. I find it all pretty symbolic and meaningful, too, so that also covers a multitude of sins..

quanchi112
Cool. Good to know. I might try to get out and see it again, then. But would you care to elaborate? Just picked on things I missed the first time especially due to the theatre being crowded on opening night.

the ninjak
Pretty terrible film. Why can't films like this have substance?

Patient_Leech
Originally posted by the ninjak
Pretty terrible film. Why can't films like this have substance?

I would argue that it does. It's just of a more subtle psychological and spiritual nature. It is dealing with the gods, afterall. Great substance indeed, just not something easily embraced by the superficial masses. The Socrates quote at the beginning and end of the film is pretty key.

Patient_Leech
What kind of substance were you hoping for that you feel it is lacking?

the ninjak
The gods looked like they were out of CQ. I want my Zeus to be a bearded large man. Costumes were terrible.
Freakin Dorph as a thief. lol.
All the scenes looked like they were on a bad set and the Blue Screen effect is too distracting. 300 at least showed the tale like it was a canvas so the simplicity was acceptable. This movie didn't.
I also expected the gods to be much more powerful, not just kungfu slo mo fighters. And their battle should've been more epic. Those Titans should've swarmed em like rats while the elements themselves shook the very environment.

I like popcorn films but this bored me. And the entire audience looked bored as well.
Clash of the Titans sucked as well. I would prefer to watch the original any day.

You see this soulless digital form of film making does not appeal to my eyes. 35mm film stock and below breathed so to say. The flicker allowed my eyes to rest. 3D makes digital presentations even worse. The glasses make the films drastically darker. The latest Pirates of the Carribean film was sooo dark in 3D it was hard to watch. That's why Musketeers was shot so bright.

Call me nostalgic. But when you make a film based in a particular era. Make the film stock harness that era. There is so much more I can rag about but I'll stop here.

Patient_Leech
Ok then.

When I think substance I think "meaning." Which it does have. But whatever. I don't know what CQ is, but see, I actually really like how he uses real sets. I thought they integrated quite nicely with the CGI.

And whatever, dude. To each his own: the Titans vs. Gods battle WAS f*cking epic.

He meant GQ I think.

And I was also disappointed with the titan/god battle. I expected the gods of thunder/water and whoever else controlled the elements there, to use some ****ing majestic powers. As opposed to just super speed and kung-fu...

the ninjak
Yeah I meant GQ stick out tongue

Kazenji
The gods looked like they were out of CQ. I want my Zeus to be a bearded large man. Costumes were terrible.

Well obviously it was ment to be a different representation of the Greek gods then what most people have seen, Same deal with the titans from what i've seen of them i thought they were ment to be giants, bigger then the gods but what they did with them in the film they looked like the gods but seemed to have gone feral.

Mindset
I liked the interpretation, something new.

One of the few good things about the movie.

You only liked it that way because of you got to see big strapping dudes with no shirts on. Admit it.

Mindset
You only liked it that way because of you got to see big strapping dudes with no shirts on. Admit it. What's wrong with that?

quanchi112
Yeah, I admit Zeus needs a beard according to what I am used to but this movie brought something new and interesting to the table. I liked the representations of the Titans and Hyperion the best. I also like the stoic personalities of the gods, etc. in these kinds of movies. I don't look for a lot of deep character development in these kinds of films.

Patient_Leech
Yeah I meant GQ stick out tongue
You only liked it that way because of you got to see big strapping dudes with no shirts on. Admit it.

lol, Homo or not, I'd rather see an idealized male body to some large, fat and flabby, burly bearded dude. It just makes better sense. I don't think I hear anyone complaining about Athena having model good looks. They're gods, they should have idealized forms. Goes well with all the remaining Greek and Roman sculptures we've all seen.

...Same deal with the titans from what i've seen of them i thought they were ment to be giants, bigger then the gods but what they did with them in the film they looked like the gods but seemed to have gone feral.

Exactly. I thought they had kind of taken on a "demonic" sort of nature. They represent the "evil" to the gods' "good." And it all represents Theseus' struggle to resist bowing to Hyperion, and he ultimately overcomes Hyperion in his internal conflict. Like that one reviewer said, it has a kind of redemptive quality. Rather than embrace Hyperion and be treated like a king, Theseus chooses to live rightly and thus becomes divine. And at his death he ascends heavenward...

Love it.

the ninjak
lol, Homo or not, I'd rather see an idealized male body to some large, fat and flabby, burly bearded dude. It just makes better sense. I don't think I hear anyone complaining about Athena having model good looks. They're gods, they should have idealized forms. Goes well with all the remaining Greek and Roman sculptures we've all seen.
That's the thing. The Father of the Greek Gods should be a fat, old and wise being. The Greek gods represented spoilt children and their angry father. I'm all for new ideas but these guys didn't look like the gods in their final days. In regards to Athena the choice was good.

Love it.
A good quote. Actually I liked the heroes comments in this film.

Exactly. I thought they had kind of taken on a "demonic" sort of nature. They represent the "evil" to the gods' "good." And it all represents Theseus' struggle to resist bowing to Hyperion, and he ultimately overcomes Hyperion in his internal conflict. Like that one reviewer said, it has a kind of redemptive quality. Rather than embrace Hyperion and be treated like a king, Theseus chooses to live rightly and thus becomes divine. And at his death he ascends heavenward...

Love it. The problem that I have with the gods appearence isn't that they all have rippling abs and no shirts on- pause.

It's that they all look like they came out of 16 magazine. Teenie boppers don't represent a manly man in anyone's mind, sans teenage girls. An example of someone who played the "young hunk" god well imo was brad pitt as Achilles. Granted, Achilles was only half god, but he had such a presence that you could believe him being a god. The kids in this movie lacked such a presence. There was nothing about them that emenated godliness.

And as for hyperion, I thought that was one of the weakest parts of the plot. What POSSIBLE reason did dude have for joining hyperion? It was false tension.

Patient_Leech
...An example of someone who played the "young hunk" god well imo was brad pitt as Achilles. Granted, Achilles was only half god, but he had such a presence that you could believe him being a god. The kids in this movie lacked such a presence. There was nothing about them that emenated godliness.

But to hold so many characters to such a high standard as Brad Pitt is perhaps a bit unfair. Achilles/Brad Pitt was a central character. He had way more screen-time to develop such a presence (plus he's f*#king Brad Pitt). Theseus would be a better comparison, and he was almost equally well done, imo. And I never got the impression that Achilles was a god in Troy. He was a mortal. He was somewhat irreverent toward the gods. However, with the lesser characters in Immortals I definitely got the impression that they were gods, because of their extraordinary strength and all-around bad-assery at fighting.. lol. That was definitely some godlike skeelz.

And as for hyperion, I thought that was one of the weakest parts of the plot. What POSSIBLE reason did dude have for joining hyperion? It was false tension.

There was a line where Hyperon said something to the effect of: "They treat you as a peasant, but I will treat you like a king." However, I kind of agree: they should have flashed some images in Theseus' mind of power and luxury. On that point I do kind of agree, it should have been emphasized more, but it is there.

Esau Cairn
I think playing the Gods as a younger cast was a good call. Strength, beauty & youth has always been what Greek mythology (& Greek art) was depicted as.

Their brash acts in defying "the law" & aiding the mortals were true to their "younger" immature, reckless selves than sitting back & watching if they were shown as older & wiser.

The younger gods were always shown as bored, laying around with nothing to do. And like with children, boredom always leads to mischief & getting in trouble.

We've already seen Laurence Olivier & Liam Neeson play an older version of Zuess...a 3rd older version would just have come across as cliched.

That's the thing also, Greek legends don't actually translate too well as a Hollywood big budget film without the Americanisation of characters.

Charlton Heston as Ben Hur. Brad as Achilles. Russell Crowe in Gladiator....they just didn't look or feel right in my opinion.

quanchi112
What impressed me was the Titans. I liked the interpretation which was refreshing as compared to other mediums. Hyperion also stole the show. Witness: Hell.

Kazenji
Mickey Rouke does a good of being a villain but i hope he does'nt keep geting typecast.

quanchi112
Mickey Rouke does a good of being a villain but i hope he does'nt keep geting typecast. He's so old I don't even care if he does. He wasn't a villain in the Wrestler and that's pretty recent.

Robtard
Watched well over half; it's pure fail. Skipped to the final fight; it was nothing new or special.

edit: WTF was up with Zeus' pencil molester stache?

quanchi112
Watched well over half; it's pure fail. Skipped to the final fight; it was nothing new or special.

edit: WTF was up with Zeus' pencil molester stache? What's pure fail about it ?

Patient_Leech
What's pure fail about it ?

I think he's just too Robtarded to get it, quanchi.. didn't even watch the whole thing. I think we all know who's "pure fail" around here. wink

the ninjak
edit: WTF was up with Zeus' pencil molester stache?

Probably had to keep it for Musketeers.

Robtard
What's pure fail about it ?

Story dragged, dialogue was weak, acting was sub-par at best, action was nothing special, characters were forgettable and the costumes were meh, that.

roughrider
I saw it this week, really just to get a look at henry Cavill, since he's paying the new Superman. I can see why they cast him - he looks even more like Christopher Reeve than Brandon Routh did, and has the same smile.
The rest of the film - passable at best, if you just want action and aren't thinking too much about plot & logic. I knew it would look freaky and bizarre because it's Tarsem Singh directing, and the costume design was really unearthly. And seeing the Olympic Gods as young people was different. But that's about it. The style in the film was new when it was used in 300, but I was always consciously thinking this was just done on a digital lot; never got the epic feeling.

In the late 1960's, Stanley Kubrick shot his 'Dawn Of Man' sequences in a studio for 2001: A Space Odyssey. I was more convinced it was outside than in this one!

And I thought Mickey Rourke was playing Hyperion the Titan, from mythology. But he was just a renegade king in Greece.

Recently i watched Hollywood latest movie "Immortals" i found it really good as it is of my favorite category.
_________
Reputation Management Program

Patient_Leech
...and the costumes were meh, that.

I have to respectfully disagree. I think the costumes are pretty badass. This poster is extremely nicely done...

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-oLiE0lJGwvE/TZZqB9aImdI/AAAAAAAAACs/RdBRh6LxNpA/s1600/Zeus%2BImmortals.jpg

And this one is quite creative as well...

http://cdn.screenrant.com/wp-content/uploads/Hyperion-Immortals-280x414.jpg

Esau Cairn
Originally posted by roughrider
The style in the film was new when it was used in 300, but I was always consciously thinking this was just done on a digital lot; never got the epic feeling.

I know it's a minor detail but the lack of wind blowing made the cliff edge scenes blatantly obvious that it was filmed "in studio". Plus no one seemed "overly careful" that they were walking on narrow paths with such a sheer drop just inches away.

quanchi112
Story dragged, dialogue was weak, acting was sub-par at best, action was nothing special, characters were forgettable and the costumes were meh, that. You made up your mind before you saw this. It never had a chance in your mind.

Patient_Leech
Story dragged, dialogue was weak, acting was sub-par at best, action was nothing special, characters were forgettable and the costumes were meh, that.
You made up your mind before you saw this. It never had a chance in your mind.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." - John F. Kennedy

I have to respectfully disagree. I think the costumes are pretty badass. This poster is extremely nicely done...

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-oLiE0lJGwvE/TZZqB9aImdI/AAAAAAAAACs/RdBRh6LxNpA/s1600/Zeus%2BImmortals.jpg

And this one is quite creative as well...

http://cdn.screenrant.com/wp-content/uploads/Hyperion-Immortals-280x414.jpg They're photoshopped posters... no expression

Patient_Leech
They're photoshopped posters... no expression

That's an excellent observation. But this is what we call a message board and we typically try to use language here to communicate ideas. (Unless, of course, you prefer to remain vague and not understood.) Do you have a point that you would like to get across?

What the f**k? sleep

The point is that using a photoshopped picture to explain why the costumes in the movie were not lackluster is retarded, as obviously the editer would throw as much shit on to the picture as possible to make the costumes look epic, hence why movie posters are almost always awesome looking regardless of how well the effects/costumes look in the movies.

Would you like to me use smaller words, or do you get the gist now?

Patient_Leech
I don't see why that's retarded. The posters show off the costumes, and I doubt whatever photoshopping was done to them drastically changed the costumes. I think the photoshopping probably had more to do with the streaks of fire (or whatever those are) and adding gritty blood and wear and tear. For example, I am quite certain that Hyperion's head-piece there looked pretty much like that in the movie.

It's retarded because while that armor looks cool with a black background and flames and grit swirling around it, it doesn't look nearly as good in the movie when he's just standing around in a real life environment, hence the photoshop appeal. There's a reason why they bother heavily editing pictures to make movie posters, as opposed to just taking a still of some movie footage and slapping the title on it.

Patient_Leech
You're getting into 2D design elements and graphic design. Of course they want the posters to catch the eye. But that's not really relevant. The costumes themselves do not change.

The costumes look 100% different in the movie then they do on the posters.

Patient_Leech
Aside from brightness, saturation, and lighting, they look identical. It's the same costume.

http://basementrejects.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/the-immortals-2011-henry-cavill.jpg

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-b-tWLj49C58/TZZqCa1NEvI/AAAAAAAAAC8/F5yzUsgQruk/s1600/Theseus%2BImmortals.jpg

Patient_Leech
What are we even arguing? Whether or not the costumes are (as Robtard so eloquently put) "meh." So this is really just a matter of opinion and a retarded discussion from the get-go. I contend that they are not "meh." Some more images, since you'd prefer actual movie shots...

http://moviecarpet.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/Immortals-Photo-1.jpg

http://0.tqn.com/d/movies/1/0/s/G/Y/immortals-daniel-shaman.jpg

http://www.hollywoodchicago.com/sites/default/files/Immortals2.jpg

They indeed do not look any more "meh" to me in the actual movie shots than they do in the posters.

Patient_Leech
lol, and see, to me, the speedos and capes of 300 were a TERRIBLE idea... laughing

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u257/Kabanesan/300Costume.jpg

Robtard
You made up your mind before you saw this. It never had a chance in your mind.

LoL, incorrect. I've been pleasantly surprised by films I thought would suck after viewing from time to time.

Listen, you think films like this and Freddy Vs Jason are great; I simply have different taste, no reason to get butt-hurt over me thinking Immortals was a turd. Let it go.

quanchi112
LoL, incorrect. I've been pleasantly surprised by films I thought would suck after viewing from time to time.

Listen, you think films like this and Freddy Vs Jason are great; I simply have different taste, no reason to get butt-hurt over me thinking Immortals was a turd. Let it go. You said you didn't even watch the whole thing which leads me to believe you gave up on it too early out of personal bias.

Robtard
You said you didn't even watch the whole thing which leads me to believe you gave up on it too early out of personal bias.

LoL, I watched a good 80% of the film. Skipped about 20 mins out of boredom all in all.

Again, you're taking me thinking this movie which you love as be nothing more than a large wet fail-turd(it is just that, imo) personally. I think Empire of The Sun and Angela's Ashes to be great films; you think Freddy Vs Jason and Immortals are great. Taste differ, just deal with it.

Esau Cairn
Hyperion's crab claw helmet was a bit hard to take seriously.

I mean from a distance they look like friggin' rabbit ears!

Patient_Leech
Originally posted by Esau Cairn
Hyperion's crab claw helmet was a bit hard to take seriously.

I like it. It's menacing.

quanchi112
LoL, I watched a good 80% of the film. Skipped about 20 mins out of boredom all in all.

Again, you're taking me thinking this movie which you love as be nothing more than a large wet fail-turd(it is just that, imo) personally. I think Empire of The Sun and Angela's Ashes to be great films; you think Freddy Vs Jason and Immortals are great. Taste differ, just deal with it. You didn't watch the entire film because you didn't give it a chance. I at least watch entire movies. I don't start things I don't finish.

Patient_Leech
You didn't watch the entire film because you didn't give it a chance. I at least watch entire movies. I don't start things I don't finish.

Yeah, 'tard. If I can sit through all of The Last Airbender, then you can sit through all of this... lol. laughing

quanchi112
Yeah, 'tard. If I can sit through all of The Last Airbender, then you can sit through all of this... lol. laughing I shouldn't be so hard on him but I just can't stomach quitters.

Robtard
You didn't watch the entire film because you didn't give it a chance. I at least watch entire movies. I don't start things I don't finish.

If watching 80% of a film and it's pure shit; then FFW to the end and it's still pure shit, isn't an indicator that the film is just shit, then that's your personal problem.

But feel free to use your own personal time to waste as you wish, do get off my nuts already and stop obsessing over me not liking another shitty film you happened to think was good/great. You don't have to validate your film taste to me; I don't care.

roughrider
The costumes were freaky and fascinating. It was the best thing about the film.

Kazenji
lol, and see, to me, the speedos and capes of 300 were a TERRIBLE idea... laughing

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u257/Kabanesan/300Costume.jpg

The thing with 300 thats how they looked in the graphic novel.

Patient_Leech
The thing with 300 thats how they looked in the graphic novel.

Yeah, doesn't make it any less stupid, though.. lol. All the rediculously fake CGI blood is annoying in 300 also. I mean, i'm sure Immortals has CGI blood, too, but it doesn't look as bad.. t'is a bit more tasteful (if you'll pardon the irony of referring to such violence as "tasteful." laughing )

quanchi112
But feel free to use your own personal time to waste as you wish, do get off my nuts already and stop obsessing over me not liking another shitty film you happened to think was good/great. You don't have to validate your film taste to me; I don't care. Just watch the entire film next time before you give your opinion. You make it obvious you are biased and live through your emotions. Try to be more manly.

roughrider
Yeah, doesn't make it any less stupid, though.. lol. All the rediculously fake CGI blood is annoying in 300 also. I mean, i'm sure Immortals has CGI blood, too, but it doesn't look as bad.. t'is a bit more tasteful (if you'll pardon the irony of referring to such violence as "tasteful." laughing )

You know, part of what made 300 work was the framing device, that it was revealed to be a long story told by Dilios to his men as they are about to begin the Battle Of Plataea. That lent itself to the exaggerated, operatic look, as it was all from the point of view of the storyteller.

(How he got the last fragments of the story, when he wasn't there? It came from interrogation of captured Persians after Thermopylae.)

Patient_Leech
Originally posted by roughrider
You know, part of what made 300 work was the framing device, that it was revealed to be a long story told by Dilios to his men as they are about to begin the Battle Of Plataea. That lent itself to the exaggerated, operatic look, as it was all from the point of view of the storyteller.

(How he got the last fragments of the story, when he wasn't there? It came from interrogation of captured Persians after Thermopylae.)

Still doesn't excuse the gay costumes, lol. But yeah. I'm actually gonna try to watch it again soon, all the way through. It's been a while. It's at least entertaining.

Patient_Leech
Wrong thread, sorry (couldn't delete)

Placidity
finally watched it. Was decent, not as great as I expected.

Poseidon jump was pretty badass.

Patient_Leech
Nice little behind-the-scenes featurette on the Apple site...

http://trailers.apple.com/trailers/independent/immortals/#send-to-a-friend

LincolnDark
this looks like a win. i thought it was a 300 spinoff at first, kinda happy it isnt.

the only thing that made me want to see this movie was because i thought it was a 300 spin off. i was deeply disappointed tho.

Patient_Leech
Originally posted by LincolnDark
the only thing that made me want to see this movie was because i thought it was a 300 spin off. i was deeply disappointed tho.

It's lightyears better than 300. smile

Robtard
300 is at least entertaining, cheesy, but entertaining.

Patient_Leech
300 is at least entertaining, cheesy, but entertaining.

Oh, I absolutely agree. It is extremely entertaining.

Kazenji
Originally posted by LincolnDark

And on top of that it was't based on a comic...Immortals that is

but there is a some sort of a 300 sequel on its way not sure how its gonna turn out since Frank Miller's writing these has been shit.

Patient_Leech
And on top of that it was't based on a comic...Immortals that is

but there is a some sort of a 300 sequel on its way not sure how its gonna turn out since Frank Miller's writing these has been shit.

Oh lord, there is... click. Different director, though, and he hasn't done much.

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>