John Carter

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Kazenji
VVGh2zK6QgU

only thing i know about John Carter is from the start of League Of Extrodinary Vol 2

Esau Cairn
Looks good.
I remember reading John Carter as a kid. Essentially Tarzan/Conan tales with a touch of sci-fi.

The only thing I cringe at is Disney's connection.

Rapscallion
I love the director Andrew Stanton, but this trailer looks iffy at best.

roughrider
It's being released next year to coincide with the 100th anniversary of the first John Carter Of Mars story publication.

It's amazing to realize, after doing some research, that something as fantastic as this has never made it into movies or TV - while Tarzan, by the same author, has been remade many times over. There have been attempts as early as the 1930's, to do it as an animated project. It's been the past decade where - thanks to CGI tech - things have really intensified, with it almost being made by Robert Rodriguez and then Jon Favreau. I knew about it really just by reputation as a kid; Marvel did a comics series for a few years in the 1970's.
It has never been made before, but it's influence is everywhere in science fiction and fantasy, from writers like Robert E. Howard and Michael Moorcock to films like Avatar, which borrowed heavily from John Carter.

Andrew Stanton is an inspired choice to direct. If Robert Rodriguez had done it, it would have been a cheesy actionfest, done tongue in cheek. Looking at the trailer, I see the same filmmaker-poet who did WALL-E for PIXAR. thumb up

Patient_Leech
I'm intrigued and am completely ignorant of this story. But is this sort of sci-fi/fantasy? Just wondering why it isn't in that forum.

And yeah, the only thing that turns me off is Disney also. But it doesn't mean it can't be good. God, I hope it's better than Avatar.. *gags*

roughrider
Originally posted by Patient_Leech
I'm intrigued and am completely ignorant of this story. But is this sort of sci-fi/fantasy? Just wondering why it isn't in that forum.

And yeah, the only thing that turns me off is Disney also. But it doesn't mean it can't be good. God, I hope it's better than Avatar.. *gags*

I don't know how the moderators think sometimes. If I started this thread, it would be in SciFi/Fantasy. But then I started a thread about The Thing (prequel) in the Horror forum once, only to find it got moved into the Movie Discussion one.

The only thing we can be assured about with Walt Disney distributing, is that it won't get rated any stronger than PG/PG-13 in North America. It's a still a brand name that stands for something. But that's fine with me. If you want bloody, gory swordplay watch the Conan movies, or something like Heavy Metal ('Den' is like John Carter for the 18 & up crowd.) This should be something to stir the minds of ten year old boys, like Star Wars.

Esau Cairn
Apparently John Carter broke Disney's budget to fund their Lone Ranger franchise that Depp was attached to.

Kazenji
Originally posted by Esau Cairn
Apparently John Carter broke Disney's budget to fund their Lone Ranger franchise that Depp was attached to.

Was attached to and still is.

roughrider

The box office disappointment of Cowboys & Aliens this summer gave Disney pause, more than what was spent on John Carter. It reminded them that westerns have limited appeal both in North America and abroad; the most successful ones keep their budgets down. Adding genre elements (aliens, supernatural powers)can backfire and confuse audiences as well, bringing in neither the western crowd nor the genre fans. They also looked at how Johnny Depp and Jerry Bruckheimer have not been sure things the past decade, outside of the monster success of the four POTC films (Bruckheimer in particular has bombed a few times, trying to make that next film series.)

Add to that the past fights with director Gore Verbinski in regards to his overspending on POTC, and we had the budget standoff this summer.
(I personally think a Lone Ranger film should be like a Zorro film - swashbuckling adventure. Not super-sized like they propose, to include mythic monsters!)

John Carter may not have the star power, but it's genre translates much more easily around the world than westerns do.

Esau Cairn
Yeah Cowboys & Aliens was seriously the biggest let-down for me.
Great scenario. Great Cast & Director.

All amounted to meh.

roughrider
New, longer trailer is out now. The film looks massive!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlvYKl1fjBI&list=FLveSbxJYRPq6V0xh7GuTRYg&feature=mh_lolz

Kazenji
Certainly looks good just hope it has a good story to go along with it all.

Esau Cairn
That battle speech sounds very Avatar but then again this movie comes across as having more substance in plot than pretty pictures.

Kazenji
Is that Mark Strong again playing another villain?......yep it is.

jalek moye
looks good

Myth
Star Wars Prequels + Avatar = John Carter?

Kazenji
Maybe its the other way around since John Carter has been around longer then Star Wars & Avatar.

roughrider
Originally posted by Kazenji
Is that Mark Strong again playing another villain?......yep it is.

I'd feel sorry for the guy if it wasn't for his big paychecks. He's the Gary Oldman of this generation, getting one villain role after another. Just doesn't have a sympathetic face, I guess. Maybe he plays a nice guy in some small British film, somewhere...

Imagine a poster tagline like this:

From the creators of TARZAN and WALL-E...

Before AVATAR...
Before STAR WARS...
Before DUNE...
Before THE LORD OF THE RINGS...
Before SUPERMAN...
Before FLASH GORDON...
Before BUCK ROGERS...

There was JOHN CARTER - WARLORD.

srankmissingnin
I've always loved A Princes of Mars and Barsoom stuff, but I'm not sure what sort of place John Carter has in current pop culture or the minds of the average movie goer. Everything cool or unique about it was been aped by virtually every other sci-fi / fantasy property released in the last 100 years, and unfortunately for John Carter all those other properties have much higher name recognition. John Carter maybe the originator, but all the imposters beat it to the mark, as far as the average movie goer will know this movie will just be another copy of copy from a long list of copies. John Carter might have done it first, but that doesn't change the fact that by now we've seen it all before.

I'll be at the theater to see it, but I doubt I convince any of my friends to come with me. This movie is going to tank.

jalek moye
If the movie itself is good I think it will do alright. Maybe not great but I don't think it'll fail.

Patient_Leech
Originally posted by roughrider
New, longer trailer is out now. The film looks massive!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlvYKl1fjBI&list=FLveSbxJYRPq6V0xh7GuTRYg&feature=mh_lolz

Whoa. Looks kind of silly, but fun. And yeah, definitely some production value there..

Kazenji
How does it look silly?

Patient_Leech
I just got kind of a Star Wars/Jar Jar Binx vibe from it. I hope i'm wrong.

Patient_Leech
I'm also not sure why he's able to jump around everywhere, like Spiderman, but I know nothing of the character, so I'll admit ignorance. And for such an extraordinary film, it has a rather ordinary/boring title. Perhaps that's on purpose..?

roughrider
I'm also not sure why he's able to jump around everywhere, like Spiderman, but I know nothing of the character, so I'll admit ignorance. And for such an extraordinary film, it has a rather ordinary/boring title. Perhaps that's on purpose..?

Being raised in Earth's heavier gravity, John Carter has strength and agility far beyond the beings on Barsoom/Mars, with it's lighter gravity.

I think they decided to play it safe with the title. Since Edgar Rice Burroughs wrote these stories in the 1910's, Mars has gone from mysteriously exotic to cheesy cliche thanks to all the cheap 1950's films that centered on Martian invasions. I cannot remember the last successful project that actually put Mars in it's title - Mission To Mars, The Martian Chronicles, Tobe Hooper's Invaders From Mars, Mars Needs Moms; all disappointments or bombs. Total Recall may have been set on Mars, but they didn't put that in the title, avoiding the jinx. I think they are just going with the best marketing angle right now, for non-fans of the series. We'll see in the film how they handle the Mars/Barsoom angle.
If it's a hit and there is a sequel, maybe they might go with Warlord Of Mars. But most likely it would be John Carter: Warlord.

Patient_Leech
Thanks for the info, dude. All 5 novels were only .99c on Kindle, so I downloaded 'em.
I'll start reading it after my exams this week. I hope it's good, cuz it looks fun as sh!t.
I've been looking for some good sci-fi fantasy to read anyway.. : )

Esau Cairn
Thanks for the info, dude. All 5 novels were only .99c on Kindle, so I downloaded 'em.
I'll start reading it after my exams this week. I hope it's good, cuz it looks fun as sh!t.
I've been looking for some good sci-fi fantasy to read anyway.. : )

If you can put aside all the sci fi/fantasy films of the last 20 years & just focus on the fact that Edgar Rice Burroughs wrote the John Carter stories in 1911...it is a brilliant epic read.

Patient_Leech
If you can put aside all the sci fi/fantasy films of the last 20 years & just focus on the fact that Edgar Rice Burroughs wrote the John Carter stories in 1911...it is a brilliant epic read.

I think I can tell already, and I've only JUST begun reading it. I think it's gonna be good.. and I don't even yet have any idea how he ends up on Mars...

And how did I miss that Willem Dafoe is gonna be in this? I don't remember seeing him anywhere in the trailer. He is my Lord and Savior.. that's fu*king epic... Happy Dance

roughrider
I think I can tell already, and I've only JUST begun reading it. I think it's gonna be good.. and I don't even yet have any idea how he ends up on Mars...

And how did I miss that Willem Dafoe is gonna be in this? I don't remember seeing him anywhere in the trailer. He is my Lord and Savior.. that's fu*king epic... Happy Dance

Dafoe will play Tars Tarkas, a green martian who becomes a close friend to John Carter. You see early in the second trailer when Carter is getting pushed into the arena, that's Tars Tarkas limping right next to him.

Patient_Leech
Ah. Was he CGI? Are we not gonna get to see his pretty face??!

RE: Blaxican
I have the feeling this movie is going to bomb hard. It needs to be marketed better.

Esau Cairn
:

From memory of only reading 2 John Carter novels, I don't recall Burroughs focussing too much on how he gets to Mars...

Kazenji
Originally posted by RE: Blaxican
I have the feeling this movie is going to bomb hard. It needs to be marketed better.

Personally i don't give a shit if its marketed good or not

as long as the final product turns out good.

Patient_Leech
From memory of only reading 2 John Carter novels, I don't recall Burroughs focussing too much on how he gets to Mars...

Hm.. I hope there is SOME explanation. That might bother me.. lol.

Personally i don't give a shit if its marketed good or not

as long as the final product turns out good.

Yeah, I don't care either as long as it's a good movie. Box office success does not = good movie to me. However, if it's really good and we want sequels, then box office success might become an issue. They might have trouble finding a target audience for it. Then again, it looks like it's for about the same target audience as Pirates of the Caribbean. Might not have the same appeal, though, without Jack Sparrow/Depp.

Patient_Leech
Oh, and Flixter says it's rated R. But I have trouble believing that. I wish it were, but somehow I doubt that. Does Disney even make R-rated movies?

Kazenji
Yeah, I don't care either as long as it's a good movie. Box office success does not = good movie to me. However, if it's really good and we want sequels, then box office success might become an issue. They might have trouble finding a target audience for it. Then again, it looks like it's for about the same target audience as Pirates of the Caribbean. Might not have the same appeal, though, without Jack Sparrow/Depp.

From what i remember Batman Begins was'nt marketed enough and that turned out good and of course along came a sequel.

Patient_Leech
Batman already had a big following. There's hardly a soul who doesn't know the name Bruce Wayne. I doubt many people have heard of John Carter. I never had until now. (But now I'm excited about reading the books.) Also, the budgets are much different. IMDB says this is $250,000,000 (damn). Batman Begins was $150,000,000. I'm just saying, this is gonna have to do really well to justify a sequel. And marketing can make a big difference.

Is this really an R-rated story, though? Anybody know?

Patient_Leech
Some nice promo posters...

http://www.upcoming-movies.com/Articles/3-new-john-carter-movie-posters/

Esau Cairn

Is this really an R-rated story, though? Anybody know?

The books were always filled with bodacious female warriors that were always semi-clad but hardly worth an R rating.

Patient_Leech

Just read that part that "explains" how he ends up on Mars. It's pretty vague, but interesting. It might be a spoiler, though. I hope they stay true to this: He's being pursued by Indians and hides in a cave. He wakes up and can't move, so it makes it seem like they've drugged him with some gas. He then has some sort of out-of-body experience where he is looking at himself and then he looks toward the heavens and is suddenly transported to Mars because he has an affinity for war. So it sounds like we're not supposed to know if it's a dream or some sort of acid trip or he died or what...

Hahaha... I love it. laughing

Esau Cairn
Just read that part that "explains" how he ends up on Mars. It's pretty vague, but interesting. It might be a spoiler, though. I hope they stay true to this: He's being pursued by Indians and hides in a cave. He wakes up and can't move, so it makes it seem like they've drugged him with some gas. He then has some sort of out-of-body experience where he is looking at himself and then he looks toward the heavens and is suddenly transported to Mars because he has an affinity for war. So it sounds like we're not supposed to know if it's a dream or some sort of acid trip or he died or what...

The other version, I vaguely recall (from having read the stories over 25 years ago) isn't set in Western times ie: cowboys & Indians.

It's more like 1940's & John Carter's living in the city....
From memory : He builds a prototype telescope & "discovers" Mars. Whilst observing Mars he becomes aware that it is inhabited with life forms who appear to be at war with each other.
Then someone on Mars discovers that John is watching them & he is then transported to their planet & finds himself in the midst of battle.

I think the reason for the 2 versions was due to Burroughs re-writing the John Carter stories as it became popular.

Patient_Leech
I think the reason for the 2 versions was due to Burroughs re-writing the John Carter stories as it became popular.

Ah. Interesting! That's probably the one they'll go with for the movie, then. It makes better "real-world" sense, as much as sci-fi can. An ambiguous drug-induced hallucination doesn't sound very Disney. lol. Sucks, though, cuz that's the better one to me.. haha. But I guess they both have kind of an Evil Dead sort of feel (speaking of re-writing things...)

roughrider

It's three months from release. Expect them to push hard starting at Christmas and the next few months. I see the teaser poster in the theatres.

roughrider

The movie may make some changes there; maybe a dimensional doorway like the ones to Narnia. I read that passage in the book, and Carter narrates that part in the cave where the Indians don't come in because they feel a dark presence behind Carter; he feels it too but can't explain it, only that it makes someone afraid. Kind of vague.

But nothing like in the novel that preceded John Carter by a few years - Lieutenant Gullivar Jones: His Vacation. Striking similarities; another former Civil War soldier gets transported to Mars, but he gets there by magic carpet! You put that on screen, no one will buy it.

Patient_Leech
The movie may make some changes there; maybe a dimensional doorway like the ones to Narnia.

I hope not, that would be gay as hell. I'd much prefer Esau's explanation...

From memory : He builds a prototype telescope & "discovers" Mars. Whilst observing Mars he becomes aware that it is inhabited with life forms who appear to be at war with each other.
Then someone on Mars discovers that John is watching them & he is then transported to their planet & finds himself in the midst of battle.

I hope Disney doesn't gay it up. It looks fun on the trailer. Oh, and I'm really loving the way the book is written. He's a great writer.

Patient_Leech
In this video, the director says he is "mysteriously transported to Mars." So at least they're keeping it mysterious. I hope he takes a bite of a particularly potent 'shroom. laughing out loud

15csUIUHaZE

Patient_Leech
I'm pretty psyched about this. I finished reading A Princess of Mars. I'll be moving to The Gods of Mars soon, I think. It's pretty great. Love his writing and it's a pretty moving premise, so I'm anxious to see if they keep the core or the heart of the story intact. The trailers look good, I think. Of course, I'd probably prefer that it would be an R-rated adventure, cuz the stories are written somewhat graphically, but with a $250 million budget and coming from Disney, that's probably unrealistic.. heh. But it hasn't be rated yet, so we'll see...

super pr*xy
saw the 2nd trailer during sherlock holmes.. i didn't like the 1st trailer, but the 2nd one piqued my interest..

Patient_Leech
Holy shit, this is gonna f*cking rock. Although the CGI looks a little "iffy." But here's a really nice TV Spot trailer... eek! blink

HV4tekTPQbQ

Kazenji
Japanese trailer with some new scenes

http://www.superherohype.com/news/articles/169099-new-japanese-trailer-for-john-carter-hits

Patient_Leech
Nice, find sir. (At first I thought I might resist watching it, but what the hell, I've read the book at this point, I don't really mind.) Cool, looks like he gets to Mars by some sort of contraption he stumbles upon..?, which isn't exactly true to the book, but I guess I can dig it. I expected that to get changed. It looks like it is staying pretty true to the book, though.

And you know what, though? I already want a sequel, cuz the second book starts out really badass. This could probably turn out to be a multi-film sci-fi/action/fantasy epic. And I hope it does. But there you go, I've probably already jinxed it... erm

Patient_Leech
I'm pretty effin' psyched about this. I think it's gonna rock. The trailers are really nicely done, which is probably a good sign. I think the director has got some skillz. Check out this little TV spot...

AbTdSQuCB5Q

And I thought this picture looked fu*king NICE...

Patient_Leech
International Poster

http://media.comicbookmovie.com/images/users/uploads/22178/johncarterinternational.jpg

I still predict this movie is going to bomb. I have heard absolutely zero public buzz on this.

Esau Cairn
Well the timing of release is the critical point.

I mean Avengers in April & Batman in July...does anyone know when this is hitting the big screen?

I also think naming the movie John Carter was a bad idea from a marketing point of view.
It hints neither at action nor fantasy...

"DADDY DADDY, I want to see John Carter."
That just screams STRANGER DANGER!!!

Patient_Leech
I mean Avengers in April & Batman in July...does anyone know when this is hitting the big screen?

Comes out March 9th. Though I don't think they had a rating for it until just recently. The Official Site says PG-13 now. That might be why they've been hesitant to do much heavy marketing.

siriuswriter
When I first came upon this movie name, I thought it was a Western. Took me to see the trailer to know that's it's spacey. Saw the trailer attached to Girl With A Dragon Tattoo... so-so.

I agree, this will tank if Disney doesn't step up the marketing. This could actually have moments of excitement in it, but you wouldn't know unless you're a fan or have time to fiddle around the movie forums. Which not everyone does.

Kazenji
Originally posted by siriuswriter

but you wouldn't know unless you're a fan or have time to fiddle around the movie forums. Which not everyone does.

I'm neither

yet i'm still interested in this movie.

Good for you, Kazenji.

Kazenji
yet another useless post from Blaxican have fun doing your trolling.

Is everyone in Australia as high-strung as you?

Kazenji
I'm far from being "high-strung"... unlike a certain someone who's trolling around on the forum at the moment.

Who would that be?

Kazenji
More footage in a new tv spot

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/Wolvie09/news/?a=52794

Esau Cairn
Who would that be?

I like to consider Kazenji, the Mindy to my Mork. wink

Kazenji
Fair enough.

Patient_Leech
Play nice, GENTLEmen... erm

More footage in a new tv spot

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/Wolvie09/news/?a=52794

Another nice little trailer. Bomb or not, I still think this movie is gonna f*cking rock. I'm really enjoying reading the novels and this looks like a pretty awesome adaptation. I'm not sure Dejah Thoris is quite as beautiful as she should be, but perhaps I'm just not getting good enough of a look at her. I'm f*cking psyched about this.

But yeah, it will be hard for it to overcome a $250 million budget if it isn't marketed properly. Perhaps they're counting on word-of-mouth. I hope it does well, cuz the second book is f*cking awesome. I soooo want to see this turn into a franchise.

I'll play nice with your Mom, bro. j/k lol. She'll get it hard.

- -

THEY NEED MOAR VIRAL MARKETING.

Get some sponsors from fast food and shit. "BUY A LARGE SODA AT MCDONALDS AND YOU MIGHT WIN TWO FREE TICKETS TO "JOHN CARTER", IN THEATERS _______"

etc etc.

Patient_Leech
Haha.. don't talk shit about my mom!! mad Haha.. stick out tongue

Yeah, they totally need to do the fast food thing if it's gonna stand a chance. Maybe that stuff will start kicking in in February or something.

siriuswriter
I'm neither

yet i'm still interested in this movie.

But Kazenji, you are on these forums. And you have time and inclination to go to movie websites to find news about the film. So you do have some time to fiddle around the movie forums. big grin

Kazenji
New international poster

http://img36.imageshack.us/img36/7707/screenshot20120119at113.jpg

Patient_Leech
Hm.. not a big fan of that one. But I hope the Japanese are!!

This is definitely my favorite poster so far...

http://images.hollywood.com/site/john-carter-imax-poster.jpg

Patient_Leech
How about this for marketing... this should inform a few folks...

yBVi3nDZlZ4

Esau Cairn
Like I've said previously...it's the no-brain title that's letting the publicity down.

Kazenji
Hm.. not a big fan of that one. But I hope the Japanese are!!

This is definitely my favorite poster so far...

http://images.hollywood.com/site/john-carter-imax-poster.jpg

Thats a alot better poster then the first you found with him riding that alien beast.

Patient_Leech
Like I've said previously...it's the no-brain title that's letting the publicity down.

Well, they really shouldn't change the title. So I guess there's nothing they can really do about that. I thought the same thing at first, but now that I've read some of the stories, the title works. I think people might not notice that it's set on a fictional Mars, since they've taken Mars out of the title. So that might cause some confusion. I mean, it's kind of a strange story! Sci-fi often is... and the public often has trouble with that. But oh well, I love it. I guess Disney is banking on the strength of the stories (he's an excellent writer) and he seems like a strong director, so I have high hopes.

queeq
I think this movie is gonna suck.

Stoic
I want to see this movie real bad. I always liked the comic. I just wonder if they will get it right.

Kazenji
The 4 armed green aliens look really kid friendly compared to how they draw them in the comics

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=preview&id=11309

Patient_Leech
The 4 armed green aliens look really kid friendly compared to how they draw them in the comics

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=preview&id=11309

I thoroughly disagree. That illustration is a little over-the-top to the point that it looks silly. I think the design for the movie looks perfect. These are at least as scary as anything from Pirates of the Caribbean (I think they're better, personally). They were apparently going for some sympathetic green men and some mean enemy green men. Hence the difference between these two.

Patient_Leech
My main fear is that I don't think Dejah Thoris is all that good looking... erm

Kazenji
I thoroughly disagree. That illustration is a little over-the-top to the point that it looks silly..

The one that shown in the panel's look alot better with the red eyes.

Patient_Leech
I do kind of like the red eyes, but I think the rest of the design isn't as good.

For the most part, I like what the director approved. Pretty great design all-around. Especially considering that he's having to work within PG-13 boundaries.

Stoic
My main fear is that I don't think Dejah Thoris is all that good looking... erm

That's Lynn Collins, and it's just the one picture of her, she really is very pretty. She's the lady that played in Wolverine. She was Logan's girl.

Patient_Leech
Well, I never saw the Wolverine movie cuz I could tell from the trailer that it looked like a colossal cow turd, lol, but...

Yeah, she's gorgeous in that picture. I think it's the terrible make-up and body paint. Not sure I approve of those choices. Hopefully she'll come across better in motion. But her beauty is kind of important in the novel. John Carter goes on about how perfect and delightful her curves are... or something like that. lol. She strikes his eye immediately, I think, the first time he sees her. And from the images in the trailers, I'm not getting that feeling.. erm

Esau Cairn

Yeah, she's gorgeous in that picture. I think it's the terrible make-up and body paint. Not sure I approve of those choices. Hopefully she'll come across better in motion. But her beauty is kind of important in the novel. John Carter goes on about how perfect and delightful her curves are... or something like that. lol. She strikes his eye immediately, I think, the first time he sees her. And from the images in the trailers, I'm not getting that feeling.. erm

Every female character Burroughs wrote about was always volumptous (sp?).
Unfortunately the only woman that comes to mind to fit that would be J-Lo ten years ago.

Unfortunately too, the b*tch can't act either.

Patient_Leech
lol. You bring up a good point, though: Someone with darker skin might have been able to pull off the body paint 'n such a bit better... kind of a Native American feel or something. Perhaps someone Spanish or South American.

I'm sure Willem Dafoe being in this will make up for a multitude of sins, though. Happy Dance no expression

Kazenji
Well, I never saw the Wolverine movie cuz I could tell from the trailer that it looked like a colossal cow turd, lol, but...

You got that from the Wolverine movie trailer before it got released......okay then erm

i know the movie did'nt go so well with critics but yeah.

Patient_Leech
Watching the trailer again, it doesn't look quite as bad as I remember. It looks fun at least. But I still say it's looks a bit goofy. The jumping up to the helicopter part is a bit much.

Patient_Leech
They've probably spent an obscene amount of money advertising with the Super Bowl..

http://www.nfl.com/johncarter

I really hope him jumping high isn't like, the staple of his powerset. no expression

Because they show him doing that an awful lot in the trailers. no expression

Patient_Leech
I really hope him jumping high isn't like, the staple of his powerset. no expression

Because they show him doing that an awful lot in the trailers. no expression

Read the book. He's from earth, so his physiology is conditioned for heavier gravity, so on Mars he is more powerful than everyone else.

Masterbammer
Nice movie!

Patient_Leech
This is gonna effin' rock...

7krwq5hZPY0

It looks really boring, imo.

Robtard
He's just mad they're showing a white-boy that can jump.

Patient_Leech
Lmao.. laughing

It's not racist to say "white man can't jump," but I bet people would complain if somebody said "black man can't swim."

Patient_Leech
I like it...

Patient_Leech
Interesting little read: click

Kazenji
I've seen another picture not for the movie that has some other American Civil War person on mars, Just wondering who he is?

Patient_Leech
I've seen another picture not for the movie that has some other American Civil War person on mars, Just wondering who he is?

Well I'd probably have to see the picture to have some idea as to what you're talking about, but in the book there is a friend of his who gets captured by indians, but it's just John Carter who gets astral projected to Mars, so that's strange.

Omg, this is gonna rock. And it's not too far off now. March 9th. Willem Dafoe shows up in this video.. all must bow. Plus, I think the girl might be a little cuter than I first expected, so that's good. This shows quite a bit, btw... damn, I can't wait..

GMrjDnlXL70

mardook
I like the idea of ancient socieities on Mars and mankind exploring that, so I will be checking this out when it comes out. These trailers make it come across like another Dances with Wolves with a new himbo and alien princess to eye **** throughout the movie. To make matters worse, its a Disney flick and cost 250 million to make. Holy crap, District 9 was made for 20 - 30 million and it probably looks just about as similar fx wise; praying mantis alien humanoids, space tech, incredible human feats. Oh well... the only difference is that D9 didn't have a hot princess. Why do all princesses look similar, Maxim models with a **** me face?

What were they using the additional 220 million for?

Kazenji
Well I'd probably have to see the picture to have some idea as to what you're talking about, but in the book there is a friend of his who gets captured by indians, but it's just John Carter who gets astral projected to Mars, so that's strange.

its from the comics that they've been updating the novels from, Its from 'Warlord of Mars'

http://comicbuzz.com/files/2011/11/WarriorsMars01-Cov-Jusko.jpg

Kazenji
^ "Adaptating" from the novels

Andrew Stanton And Michael Chabon Are Working On JOHN CARTER: THE GODS OF MARS

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/Wolvie09/news/?a=54827

Patient_Leech
Originally posted by mardook
To make matters worse, its a Disney flick and cost 250 million to make. Holy crap, District 9 was made for 20 - 30 million and it probably looks just about as similar fx wise; praying mantis alien humanoids, space tech, incredible human feats. Oh well... the only difference is that D9 didn't have a hot princess. Why do all princesses look similar, Maxim models with a **** me face?

What were they using the additional 220 million for?

District 9 was just animating bugs on earth. John Carter is creating entire races and societies on another planet. Big difference. I'd suggest reading the novel before making such comments. wink

^ "Adaptating" from the novels

Andrew Stanton And Michael Chabon Are Working On JOHN CARTER: THE GODS OF MARS

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/Wolvie09/news/?a=54827

Oh my god, yeah. The black men are the villains (so to speak) in the next book. That will fu^king rock. Nice find. I'm gonna be praying that this first film does well.

ares834
Meh. This movie looks terrible IMO. And the CGI looks quite bad.

Patient_Leech
Well i'm no major fan of CGI, but I still think it looks really good. I caught some of a trailer on TV that showed a lot more than I had seen yet, and it looks amazing. Can't effing wait.

Patient_Leech
I think this is the trailer I saw on TV. How anyone could say it looks anything but effing EPIC, I don't get... blink blink

yeEMbPhgy64

Well, you were also confused as to why everyone thought immortals sucked ass. Maybe there's something to that

Patient_Leech
I wasn't confused as to why. I just didn't agree. Go fu#k yourself, smartass.

laughing out loud

Patient_Leech
Just because there's no black actors in it and the black men are the villains in the second book doesn't mean you gotta hate. Wait, actually I guess it does, doesn't it?

ares834
So the second book is about an ex-Confederate Soldier killing black men... That doesn't sound racist at all.

Patient_Leech
Well, it's not quite that blatant exactly. The black men are the ones doing the enslaving in the story. I'm not sure if there's anything to be read into it or not, but it's a pretty exciting sci-fi yarn.

Patient_Leech
Nice read about his trip to the set: Ain't It Cool. I've picked out some of the highlights: All hail Willem Dafoe...

Happy Dance

I honestly think that comes through in the footage. thumb up

thumb up thumb up thumb up

thumb up thumb up thumb up

BruceSkywalker
for a $300 million budget, Lynn Collins best be in every scene

Patient_Leech
$250 million. Estimated.

Patient_Leech
Hey, check it out. She actually looks pretty in this shot. This gives me hope...

http://downloads.xdesktopwallpapers.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/John-Carter-Lynn-Collins-Face-Closeuo-Of.jpg

BruceSkywalker
$250 million. Estimated.

that is what disney is admitting

Patient_Leech
Yeah, including marketing it probably is closer to $300. You know, it marketing this film they really should have made a big push to intrigue the Star Wars crowd. I guess the imagery itself will likely grab their attention..

BruceSkywalker
Yeah, including marketing it probably is closer to $300. You know, it marketing this film they really should have made a big push to intrigue the Star Wars crowd. I guess the imagery itself will likely grab their attention..

it might.. as for me, i am still debating to see this, i am not really a big taylor kitsch fan

Patient_Leech
Originally posted by BruceSkywalker
it might.. as for me, i am still debating to see this, i am not really a big taylor kitsch fan

Don't do it for Taylor Kitsch, then (Hell, I've never even heard of the guy). Do it for Sci-Fi fans everywhere. wink

Kazenji
Don't do it for Taylor Kitsch, then (Hell, I've never even heard of the guy). Do it for Sci-Fi fans everywhere. wink

You've never heard of the guy but have heard of the Wolverine movie

okay then....... erm

just to let you know he was Gambit in Wolverine.

Patient_Leech

okay then....... erm

I thought we already discussed this? The Wolverine trailer looked like garbage, so I never bothered to see it. And I don't recall Gambit standing out much in the trailer (after all, Taylor Kitsch is sorta bland looking). I mainly remember Hugh Jackman and lots of ridiculous action. Thanks for the info, though. I'm not a huge X-Men fan, so I really didn't know.

And this may seem kind of random, but: I had no idea Willem Dafoe did a voice for Finding Nemo. I really want to see it now, but it's not view instant on Netflix and none of my "unscrupulous" places are working... lol

Kazenji
I thought we already discussed this? The Wolverine trailer looked like garbage, so I never bothered to see it. And I don't recall Gambit standing out much in the trailer (after all, Taylor Kitsch is sorta bland looking). I mainly remember Hugh Jackman and lots of ridiculous action. Thanks for the info, though. I'm not a huge X-Men fan, so I really didn't know.

And i never brought up you watching the movie this time numbnuts

Gambit was in the trailer..... erm

Patient_Leech
May I ask why you are getting your panties in a wad?

Kazenji
Far from it.....

JOHN CARTER TO OFFER EXCLUSIVE MONDO POSTER

http://www.superherohype.com/news/articles/169659-john-carter-to-offer-exclusive-mondo-poster

ares834

okay then....... erm

no expression

I saw Origins several times but never heard of Taylor Kitsch.

Kazenji
*Mega Facepalm*

BruceSkywalker

i could.. i do love sci fi movies

roughrider
Just two weeks away, now!

New short featurette exploring the relationship between John and Dejah. Some jaw dropping FX shots in there.

http://themoviebox.net/710

Patient_Leech
Good man, Bruce. That's what I like to hear. big grin

Just two weeks away, now!

New short featurette exploring the relationship between John and Dejah. Some jaw dropping FX shots in there.

http://themoviebox.net/710

I'll say it again: This looks f**king awesome.

Robtard

I'm doing it for Taylor Kitsch.

Patient_Leech
Originally posted by Robtard
I'm doing it for Taylor Kitsch.

That's because you're a flaming homo, and no one will judge you for it. Least of all me.

Robtard
That's because you're a flaming homo, and no one will judge you for it. Least of all me.

http://img853.imageshack.us/img853/7851/yeahthatfh.jpg

Patient_Leech
Didn't show up. I bet you were trying to post gay porn, weren't you?

Robtard
Didn't show up. I bet you were trying to post gay porn, weren't you?

Not gay porn, so don't get excited and ask for a recap.

Patient_Leech
Aww, shucks... sad

roughrider
Originally posted by Robtard
I'm doing Taylor Kitsch.

Fixed. wink

(Well, maybe IF I was gay, I'd think about it...)

Robtard
Fixed. wink

(Well, maybe IF I was gay, I'd think about it...)

http://i0.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/original/000/004/862/nigga-you-gay.png

ares834
lol...

That doesn't even look human.

Kazenji
That thing might be in the John Carter movie.

ares834
Good god. I didn't know this was a horror movie...

Patient_Leech
That's my favorite show on UPN. But... confused

http://26.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lwv9otszIv1r8a63to1_500.jpg

roughrider
Extended clip of the arena fight, with a promo attached at the end.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xBaGv5bx0Q&feature=player_embedded

I can't imagine some one having doubts after seeing this.

siriuswriter
And this may seem kind of random, but: I had no idea Willem Dafoe did a voice for Finding Nemo. I really want to see it now, but it's not view instant on Netflix and none of my "unscrupulous" places are working... lol

Yes, indeed. He's Gill, the zebra fish who's tried to escape before, but landed on dental instruments and has a big scar across his side. He's the one who thinks up the plans for all Nemo to get out of the tank, and then he schemes up the way to get the rest of the fish to the ocean. At which point they're in the sea, bobbing in little plastic baggies of water.

Robtard
Extended clip of the arena fight, with a promo attached at the end.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xBaGv5bx0Q&feature=player_embedded

I can't imagine some one having doubts after seeing this.

Scene had a Planet Hulk feel to it.

Does look like it will in the very least be eye-candy galore and at least the story is based on a story from a good writer.

Patient_Leech
Doing my best to resist watching it. It's so close now, might as well just wait for the real thing.. happy

Robtard
You're going to build yourself up to high where you can only be disappointed.

roughrider
Doing my best to resist watching it. It's so close now, might as well just wait for the real thing.. happy

Don't worry, the fight scene is just a partial look. You can tell the Green Martian ruler had more to say to his audience, and more things are happening with one of the white apes, off to the side. It's enough to still be a tease.

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>