Was he really a bad Jedi?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

JediRobin23
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Z29OVZLbZk

Thoren
Originally posted by JediRobin23
_Z29OVZLbZk

Better.

And no.

JediRobin23
He didn't sense the trade federation.....
Cant play the mind trick on Watto....
Darth Maul killed him....

?

steverules_2
He didn't sense the trade federation.....
Cant play the mind trick on Watto....
Darth Maul killed him....

?

You know obi wan managed to do so well cause he got angry right? And mind tricks don't always work, only on the weak minded...guess Watto wasn't weak minded...as for the trade federation...I dunno

General G
Watto actually explained it when Qui-Gon tried it, he said that those Jedi mind tricks don't work on his species.

JediRobin23
What about when He cant sense the trap of the trade federation but Obiwan could sense something?

JediRobin23
Actually, I guess he wasn't so bad

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Vv2OL5FEuU

General G
What about when He cant sense the trap of the trade federation but Obiwan could sense something?

I think that Qui-Gon actually did sense a trap, but if you look throughout the movie, he always seems to try and find the best in others and in what he's doing, rarely acknowledging the negative aspects. He seemed to ignore the bad feelings instad focusing on the hope that things would work out at the discussions.

For instance, at the podrace, the odds of Anakin winning were so freakin' low. He doesn't acknowledge this to anyone else. He also stays with the Skywalker family without question. They could be any kind of family. He just seems to be always trusting.

Korto Vos
Originally posted by General G
I think that Qui-Gon actually did sense a trap, but if you look throughout the movie, he always seems to try and find the best in others and in what he's doing, rarely acknowledging the negative aspects. He seemed to ignore the bad feelings instad focusing on the hope that things would work out at the discussions.

For instance, at the podrace, the odds of Anakin winning were so freakin' low. He doesn't acknowledge this to anyone else. He also stays with the Skywalker family without question. They could be any kind of family. He just seems to be always trusting.

He is trusting, but I think there is a lot more than just simple faith. He trusts the will of the Force, which clearly led him to discover out of all the people, the Chosen One. He knew Anakin would win that race.

queeq
Did he know Anakin would fall to the dark side?

General G
Originally posted by Korto Vos
He is trusting, but I think there is a lot more than just simple faith. He trusts the will of the Force, which clearly led him to discover out of all the people, the Chosen One. He knew Anakin would win that race.

Yes, but he could have easily misinterpreted what the Force was sending him and put not just him, but many others, including the Queen of Naboo in a very precarious position while being stranded on Tatooine. I agree with the conclusion the others around Qui-Gon made. It was a reckless decision which he did not consult with anybody else.

That being said, it was also the right decision. They had no other choice.

queeq
THEY?

Korto Vos
Yes, but he could have easily misinterpreted what the Force was sending him and put not just him, but many others, including the Queen of Naboo in a very precarious position while being stranded on Tatooine. I agree with the conclusion the others around Qui-Gon made. It was a reckless decision which he did not consult with anybody else.

That being said, it was also the right decision. They had no other choice.

The Queen of Naboo had to make haste to Coruscant. There was little that could have been done simply waiting.

And yes, Qui-Gon could have misinterpreted the Force. But he's Qui-Gon Jinn, though. It was an incredible gamble, but one that he could afford to take because the will of the Force was guiding him.

Ogami Itto
About the whole Trade Federation trap:

There was no trap until they discovered the two ambassadors were jedi and phoned up Sidious who said to kill them!

After that Qui Gon senses "an unusual amount of fear...blah"

I don't think QGJ was a "model" Jedi ! he was a bit of a maverick ( please master dont defy the council again lol) which IMHO makes him awesome! He has his own views on the force! Some of the other jedi seem like mindless drones kinda like some Christians lol

The mind trick thing with watto was a bit embarrasing i suppose but if thats the rules Georgey boy made up i suppose even Yoda couldn't do it

He was defeated fair and square by Darth Maul but that doesn't make him a bad Jedi

General G
Originally posted by queeq
THEY?

They had to take the gamble on the race.

Originally posted by Korto Vos
The Queen of Naboo had to make haste to Coruscant. There was little that could have been done simply waiting.

And yes, Qui-Gon could have misinterpreted the Force. But he's Qui-Gon Jinn, though. It was an incredible gamble, but one that he could afford to take because the will of the Force was guiding him.

Of course, as I said, it was a very reckless decision. However, it was also the right decision.

Thankfully, he interpreted the Force correctly.

Imagine them wasting even more time on Naboo to try and pay off their parts.

Korto Vos
They had to take the gamble on the race.

Of course, as I said, it was a very reckless decision. However, it was also the right decision.

Thankfully, he interpreted the Force correctly.

Imagine them wasting even more time on Naboo to try and pay off their parts.

Well, it wasn't the best plot approach either. I'm pretty sure Qui-Gon could have found a vendor who accepted Republic credits and given him a valuable item. Then Jinn could have traded Watto that item for the Nubian parts.

General G
Lmao if we were to sit here and count flaws from the prequels, we'd be here a looooong time. He definitely could have found a vendor who used Republic Credits.

queeq
What else are we supposed to do? Praise its merits? Then we're done in no time. wink

General G
Yeeeeeah, much easier to talk about its flaws, adds much more longevity to the discussions, too.

queeq
Happy Dance

Korto Vos
Is there a thread discussing all the flaws in the PT? I know most threads reference PT flaws someway or the other, but I haven't seen a compiled list.

General G
Search it.

I can almost guarantee that all of them HAVE been talked about, just separately, as you said.

queeq
And all of them have talked about all the flaws... wink

Cyborg vader
Qui gon's actions did not cause the fall of the republic and the rise of the empire. It would have happened anyway. Actually, it's for the best if that he took anakin away from tattoine, because, if he didn't, no one could defeat the Emperor, who was immortal.

C-3POTheClever
Originally posted by steverules_2
You know obi wan managed to do so well cause he got angry right? And mind tricks don't always work, only on the weak minded...guess Watto wasn't weak minded...as for the trade federation...I dunno Well, I think it was also cause Maul was so off gaurd!

HyperStream
All the Jedi in the PT including Qui-gon were complete morons, Yoda being the king stupid-ass of all Jedi. You never once saw a Jedi convincingly use his intelligence to outmatch an enemy in battle. All the heroic based winning scenarios were all strength or saber-based, as in whoever can twirl their lightsaber the fastest and lift the most rubble with the Force is the most "powerful." That's basically a dark side approach to the Force yet all the Jedi are portrayed to think this way which totally contradicts the message of the first trilogy where power in the force was gained through intelligence and wisdom not through pure brute force and lifting shit with your mind.

Lord Lucien
Amen. Though I don't know about Yoda being King Stupid... Anakin was really dumb. Maybe he was Prince Stupid.

HyperStream
Originally posted by Lord Lucien
Amen. Though I don't know about Yoda being King Stupid... Anakin was really dumb. Maybe he was Prince Stupid.

There was a hole in the Force the size of two dark lords of the Sith one of which was right in front Yoda the whole time and he failed to notice it or act on it. He failed more than anybody else in the trilogy, which explains why he went into hiding not only because of fear but probably because of pure shame.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.