From Hell

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

JediOasis
The new movie about the infamous Jack the Ripper is excellent. I saw Friday night and it was one of the better movies I've seen in a long time. I am a big Johnny Depp fan and he didn't disappoint with this movie. I highly recommend it to everyone.

ToMacco
I'm gonna see that! I love Depp. Have you seen Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas? It's funny as hell, but some people think its stupid.

LanceWindu
I am definatley going to see this movie. One reason: It looks great. Another: Heather Graham.

ToMacco
Felicity Shagwell?

JediOasis
I have seen that and its great. My favorite is Blow. Ninth Gate is also very good.

ToMacco
Chocolat was good, too. He didn't have a very big role though.

King Jedi
Donnie Brasco and Sleepy Hollow are my favourite Jonny Depp movies.

ToMacco
I don't know why the Oscars don't give them to Depp.

ToMacco
Okay, I saw From Hell tonight.

It is a very dark and twisted movie. Also very slow moving. You have to pay very close attention, because the plot is sort of complicated. I wouldn't recommend it, but I wouldn't say don't see it either.

Some people are going to love it, and others will not like it. It will certainly become a cult classic.

(two stars out of four) ToMacco

BackFire349
i hated it, thought it was very boring and slow like tommaco said. the best part of it was that it showed the elephant man, made me want to watch that when i got home. not very suspensful

Sir Lancelot
I think it was great.

And I thought I hated Jonny Depp!!!!!!!!!

Why did I do that???? hehe

He was brilliant too smile

@@@@@ (out of 6)

BackFire349
it was like scream but based in like 1890 or something.

mechmoggy
Bit of a last resort at the video shop last Friday this one, I never fancied seeing it when it was at the cinema.

I sat there expecting to hate it but it wasn't that bad. The killer was predictable after a bit but I liked Depp's character, and I think he's a pretty cool actor.

Its all about Jack the Ripper and this psychic copper (Depp) who's trying to catch him. There's a conspiracy sub-plot which confuses things a little but it all makes sense in the end.

7/10

Ushgarak
Adaption of a decent comic book, but only a so-so adaption. Makes me worried about Hellblazer, as if turning the star American and having Keanu Reeves play him wasn't worry enough already.

kali99
I just saw From Hell too ... and I really found it to be a bit too weird. Although the killer did surprise me slightly ... guess I wasn't as astute an observer smile I didn't quite understand Depp's hallucinations in the movie .. what did that lend to the plot?

mechmoggy
It was in that state that he saw his "visions".

I guessed the killer straight away, only because it was the actor who plays Bilbo Baggins and I recognised the voice.

I enjoyed seeing so many British actors in the film using decent accents, I hate it when American movies or TV get our accents so badly off.

Have you ever watched the episode's of Frasier when Daphne's brothers are in it? Daphne is quite clearly a Manc (from Manchester) but her brothers speak with terrible Cockney accents! Lame.

BackFire349
i didnt like it.

mechmoggy
Of course you're entitled to your view BF, I think I liked it more because I watched it expecting to be bored.

I'm like that with films sometimes, if I expect to hate one and it turns out half decent I'm quite pleased. The same thing happened with Resident Evil, my mate dragged me along to that but I walked out feeling like it wasn't as bad as I expected and hence pretty good.

BackFire349
resident evil was alright, needed more zombies.

mechmoggy
My fave bit was that dead chick against the glass, who opens her eyes. eek!

Ushgarak
I mean... Keanu Reeves...

Don't any of you guys even know who John Constantine is?

GAHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!

queeq
So, was my great hero Johnny Depp any good in From hell?

Ushgarak
A damn sight better than Keanu will be as Constantine...

mechmoggy
If I was a movie star, I'd be like Depp.

He does all the weird and wonderful films, rather than just mainstream crap. cool

queeq
Depp is excellent, my hero.

finti
I dont remember this one even though I have seen it

queeq
Ah... it made quite an impression I see.

mechmoggy
Charming, to the last...

queeq
Hehehehe

realworlddreams
i know that it came out a while ago...
oh, n hi, this is my first thread here...
but i LOVE taht movie...everything about it...except the conspiracy that prince albert was married to a whore...the Whitechapel murders were completely motive-less...
anyway...wut do sum of y'all "fink" about it...

Kes
What makes you think they were motive-less?
Every serial killer has a motive.

Ushgarak
I think it was a bad adaptation of a decent graphic novel.

ladygrim
i love anything to do with jack the ripper ... and its extra special with johnny depp

johnny.d girl
yeah.......i thorght it was good 2......but i don't get y he comited suercide at the end!!!!!

Machete_guy
I didnt really like it that mucherm...johny depp was good in it butbig grin

lil bitchiness
It was ok, it wasnt the worse. erm I guess it wasnt exactly the story of Jack The Ripper, but it wasnt all that bad.

Elondra
I did Jack the Ripper in history therefore my mum let me watch it for that. But that wasn't the main reasonsmileJohnny was of coursewink

The movie was pretty gross though.

Flam
Okay, this movie is good. I've seen it once.. Johnny Depp stars, as usual..! smile

It's difficult to say anything about this, it's a Johnny Depp-movie, so it's good. And this whole Jack the Ripper thing was nice. (I'm not a horror movie fan... *whistle*)

OrliObsessor1
Cmon you have to love this movie! Johnny Depp's in it! Lol jk. Overall I think its a swell movie, based on Jack the Ripper. It has the dude that plays Bilbo Baggins in Lord of the rings. Ive never seen a movie anything like it.

kimahri03
its a good movie

OrliObsessor1
yep. Quite wierd at times, but awesome.

spadesmamma61
Yep, I liked it alot too with the exception of I could have done with out seeing dead hookers in such graphic detail. huh

OrliObsessor1
Lol. THats true. To take my mind from that i drool at Johnny Depp..woo. Btw Ian Holm is the name is Bilbo instead of saying that "dude" hah

ladygrim
i love this movie .... not only is it to do withjack the ripper it has johnny depp in my god could they have made a better movie than this .......................................... i think not

OrliObsessor1
lol i wasnt expecting Johnny to die though *pout* and when he put the coins on his eyes after shutting them i was pouting *sniffle*

ladygrim
i know i think i had a tear in my eye ... ok my eyes are welling up no as i think of it

OrliObsessor1
awww..I couldnt really cry, my mum was highlighting my hair and my dad was in the room too so they'd think i was beyond retarded. I was like NOOOOO and all that crap and my mom was like HAH told ya Johnny was gonna die, i was like damn it,.

ladygrim
it had to be like that tho cuz the character he was playing actually did comit suicide .( this made the other officers on the case suspious thinking he commited the murders wink

All_For_Orlando
Yeah sad

ladygrim
yep .. sad

All_For_Orlando
me wants him alive sad

ladygrim
me too but thats the way it went sad

All_For_Orlando
Ah oh well, he stays alive in many other movies stick out tongue

ladygrim
most def like POTC and many many many more ...

All_For_Orlando
yeah! lol

ladygrim
god thats put me in the mood to watch ...

All_For_Orlando
I just watched POTC. I wish i had From Hell sad

ladygrim
i luv that muvie too

ladygrim
i looovvvve this movie tho its a BIT gruesome .. i've been obseesed wit jack the ripper for a long time .. although the ending makes sense reading a book by patricia cornwell makes u wonder ..

Reborn Again
I posted my review in this section somewhere. I gave it 2 thumbs up.

ladygrim
this is wot actually happened the officer that depp played actually died he was a drug addict but i dont think he died like that he mite of drowned confused

Reborn Again
Where are the stops in this paragraph? You need periods.

I don't think Depp played an actual person in the fashion insisted. There was a lead detection in the Ripper case, but he wasn't as disturbed as Depp played him.

ladygrim
sorry i dont do punctuation see i cant even spell the world ...lol

maybe not as disturbed as depp played him but he was .. well werent most people in 1800s...

Reborn Again
I think that maight be construded as a derogitory remark towards the people who lived in the 1800's, but I'll let it pass. See, I'm a nice guy. On second thought, some people have call me a stinker. So here's my answer. Despite London, England, during the time of Jack the Ripper was desolate and poverty stricken, the city seemed relatively stable. There was good leadership, the government was a bit a rocky I admit but secure, and there was stong political, economical stability. Jack The Ripper probably felt like most at that time that the middle class society was falling through the cracks and was staining an already well established e/s/p system, so he wanted to do something about it. And it's said that prostitution is the oldest profession in the world (referring back to the ancient Greeks who concerned prostituation a means to an end to a poor e/s/p solution) and thought to start rebuilding society from the ground up, clearing up the riff raff. But that's only one theory.

e/s/p: economical / social / political

MinaCarstairs
Ah, one of my favorite movies. Anything with Mr. Depp in it can't turn out badly.

ladygrim
indeed minacarstairs...lol

Ock
This movie is a croc of shit.

ladygrim
and the point of putting something like that down is... no expression

Ock
To say the movie is crap roll eyes (sarcastic)

ladygrim
well u could of just sed that .. and not wot ever u put b4

Endenkton
Sensitive are you my pretty?

And he's right.This movie is a croc of shit.

ladygrim
no expression... no im not...

Jackie Malfoy
That happens alot.You see a movie and you are like this is going to b e lame and stuff and end up loving it.I had my doubts on "Oceans twevle" but I loved it.
So you never should judge a movie by its review!As for your movie I hate horror but I will tell my sister who likes it to check it out.JM

ladygrim
i never judge a movie on reviews... u shud judge it for urself..

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.