Adam Hughes vs. Jim Lee... who's better?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Pallas
My girlfriend bought an Adam Hughes package collecting his first series Maze Agency. http://cerinityfalls.com/cerinityfallshomepage.html
I've never read his run on Justice League. Is it in TPB anywhere? Anyway, I'm going thru the interviews and reading this thing. One thing comes to mind. It holds up even after 20 years! Seeing him in his early years is kind of refreshing. This to me validates a great artist. I believe Jim's first series was Punisher War Journal. All great artist work hold up over time.
Arthur Adams Longshot.
John Byrne Xmen.
Dave Stevens Rocketeer.
Brian Bolland on anything.
So my question is, who would you consider to be the better artist?
I know the difference between an artist and a storyteller. Some artist are great draftsman but fall short on storytelling. People like Will Eisner and Frank Miller don't come along everyday. How do you rate Lee and Hughes on their strength and weaknesses? How important they are to the industry and the characters they served? If you could have one piece of original art, who would it be from? Just want to access your point of view.

SquallX
I see Jim Lee as the better artist. He is one of the few artist that can draw Superman, and make the art itself looks good.

Don't really see weakness coming from them. Most of the time i've read about Lee, he always delivered.

Lee right now is on top of his games. Till this day his X-Men run is still the highest selling comic of all time. The man created Wildstorm, and Wildstorm had some great stories, and right now he is a top character in the DC franchise.

I'll always choose Jim Lee's art. Him and the late Michael Turner, another off the chart artist.

CPT Space Bomb
I'd probably go for Lee. Not that he's "better", but I love his style. He's done right by almost every character he's ever drawn, and then some.

Prep-Man
Hughes.

the ninjak
Originally posted by Prep-Man
Hughes.

srankmissingnin
Lee is just a Walt Simonson clone, one of many.

SquallX
Originally posted by srankmissingnin

mad mad mad

Cogito

It's ok to be jealous.

srankmissingnin
Jim Lee, Rob Liefeld, Todd McFarlane, Whilce Portacio, Marc Silvestri, and Jim Valentino, all crappy Walt Simonson clones that polluted the late 80s and 90s with their trash. Lee might be the best one, but if that was the stuff I was submitting in art school, I still wouldn't put my name on it.

SquallX
Jim Lee, Rob Liefeld, Todd McFarlane, Whilce Portacio, Marc Silvestri, and Jim Valentino, all crappy Walt Simonson clones that polluted the late 80s and 90s with their trash. Lee might be the best one, but if that was the stuff I was submitting in art school, I still wouldn't put my name on it.

You're joking right.

I don't know much about the others, but Jim, Silvestri are pretty good artist. Few people can draw Superman, and not make him look funny half the time, and Jim is one of those few people.

golem370
Todd is my favorite

psycho gundam
jim lee x-men

/thread

Zack Fair
Originally posted by psycho gundam
jim lee x-men

/thread

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.