Are there any good non-Modern, non-Sci-Fi, non-WWII shooter games?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Omega Vision
Simple question. Are there any shooter games that have a setting that isn't Science-Fiction/Fantasy related, WWII, or Modern (Ie: Vietnam and up)?

Like, is there a good WWI based shooter game?

I understand why no one would make a Civil War game, no one wants to wait 20 seconds for your character to reload, but it seems like with all the WWII games out there at least one game about the First World War would be made.

Smasandian
A WW1 game would be just as boring as a Civil War game.

Check out No One Lives Forever series. It's old (like 11 years old) but it's a great game.

As well, check out the STALKER series. It's modern but not really.

But in the end, it's almost impossible to suggest a game that happens before WW2 because they would not be fun to play.

FinalAnswer
Bioshock

awesome

RE: Blaxican
That's SCI-FI, you *******.

FinalAnswer
Is Steam Punk, a sub-genre, but the best non-traditional shooter that comes to mind.

Smasandian
Hmmm, I think that's a good one actually.

Scythe
I'd love a civil war shooter.

cdtm
Well, there's this.

32 player match.

There's a source mod for just about anything.

The trick, is finding one people are actually playing.

Barker
Bioshock.

It's not Scifi.

Play it.

And if that bothers you, just wait until Bioshock Infinite. It looks so amazing.

Morridini
Um, BioShock is definitely a sci-fi, it has all those plasmid powers etc, and it's not considered magic if I remember correctly.

Kazenji
Originally posted by Omega Vision

I understand why no one would make a Civil War game, no one wants to wait 20 seconds for your character to reload,

http://au.gamespot.com/xbox360/strategy/historychannelcivilwar/review.html

Smasandian
Can we talk about good games?

hehe.

Utrigita
Call of Juarez, wouldn't that be a western?

Also Red Dead Redemption.

Smasandian
Bound in Blood is a good game. That would be a good example.

RDR is not a shooter though.

Barker
Originally posted by Morridini
Um, BioShock is definitely a sci-fi, it has all those plasmid powers etc, and it's not considered magic if I remember correctly.
Eh, to me sci-fi is aliens and such. Though you are right, yeah.

Bioshock is more of a horror/shooter IMO.

Smasandian
I think it's pulling hairs if Bioshock is a Sci-Fi game or not.

I don't think it is because I think the original poster meant no Sci-Fi was something like Halo.

FinalAnswer
BioShock is sci-fi in the sense steam punk is sci-fi.

Technically, yes, but it is different enough from the traditional sci-fi games that it shouldn't be grouped with sci-fi games that comes to mind like Halo or Star Wars Battlefront.

Utrigita
Originally posted by Smasandian
Bound in Blood is a good game. That would be a good example.

RDR is not a shooter though.

Ahh sorry, I haven't played Red Dead Redemption.

Smasandian
Originally posted by FinalAnswer
BioShock is sci-fi in the sense steam punk is sci-fi.

Technically, yes, but it is different enough from the traditional sci-fi games that it shouldn't be grouped with sci-fi games that comes to mind like Halo or Star Wars Battlefront.

Yeppers.

Omega Vision
Guys...Bioshock is Scifi.

When I say SciFi/fantasy I mean anything with a fantastic element in it.

Bioshock and Stalker don't count.

I did forget about Red Dead...though I might say that the Red Dead series being Westerns are bordering on Fantasy...

I'd say the definition of what 'scifi/fantasy' means in this context would be...umm...well if its as unrealistic/fantastic as Frontlines: Fuel of War or more so then count it as "sci fi" for these purposes.

RE: Blaxican
Yeah, fools.

socool8520
Simple question. Are there any shooter games that have a setting that isn't Science-Fiction/Fantasy related, WWII, or Modern (Ie: Vietnam and up)?

Like, is there a good WWI based shooter game?

I understand why no one would make a Civil War game, no one wants to wait 20 seconds for your character to reload, but it seems like with all the WWII games out there at least one game about the First World War would be made.

That's one hell of a limiter man. lol I guess there is RDR. Are you talking strictly first person? Cuz, if not, I enjoyed Just Cause 2. It's like Mercenaries (the first one) but better. MGS 4 can be a type of FPS if you skip all the cutscenes and decide to kill everyone. I also thought some of the earlier COD's were WWI. Really can't think of any others right off hand

Smasandian
No, CoD has never been WW1.

I must be getting old to remember that.

Kazenji
I did forget about Red Dead...though I might say that the Red Dead series being Westerns are bordering on Fantasy....

How is it bordering on fantasy?

unless its the add-on for it which has unicorns and the 4 horses that the horsemen ride roaming the land.

Omega Vision
Originally posted by Kazenji
How is it bordering on fantasy?

unless its the add-on for it which has unicorns and the 4 horses that the horsemen ride roaming the land.
There are magical potions and a bunch of supernatural themes, and no I'm not talking the zombie game.

Not to mention Westerns as a whole are basically fantasy, presenting an idealized/romanticized portrait of the Old West.

FinalAnswer
There are no "magical potions", there's medicine, but I don't see how it's magic.

Really, there's only one supernatural event in the game, and even that's arguable.

RDR doesn't fit Fantasy in the least. =/

Smasandian
Yeah, RDR is a complete homage to Man with No Name trilogy.

What's the supernatural event? I cannot recall.

Phanteros
That strange man that Marston talked to?

Smasandian
Ahh yes.....

Still doesn't make the game fantasy in my opinion. The game is structured in reality.

Morridini
He's talking about the entire Western genre, which is pretty much all made up and not based on reality (thus being someones fantasy).

Smasandian
Then every game is fantasy. It's based on a designers interpretation of events, or a designers imagination.

Modern Warfare now is a fantasy game. It's somebodies ideal version on how World War 3 would be.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.