Paul WS Anderson Hits Out At Poor, Uninformed Video Game Movies

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Kazenji
http://www.kotaku.com.au/2011/08/resident-evil-director-hits-out-at-poor-uninformed-video-game-movies/

Like to hell he can talk

all he does is decide to make a movie on a game and claims to be a fan of the that game, then the movie hardly resembles the game itself because he created his own story

Impediment
Like he's one to talk.

The RE films are shit that barely resemble the actual games themselves.

I'd be willing to say that I, myself, and a bigger video game fan/player than Anderson, but that doesn't mean that my love for video games would somehow grant me the ability to make a good vieo game film.

Just because I love the video game Bioshock, it doesn't mean that I would do the game justice as a feature length film.

Dude needs to watch his f*cking mouth, if you as me.

the ninjak
Agreed. I wonder if he's ever played RE?

Impediment
The biggest insult, to me, was portraying Nemesis as half cyborg with computerized vision. Christ, that pissed me off. I mean, it's taking away the wholw aspect of "terrifying bio-weapon that never ceases to stop hunting you".

Ridley_Prime
I more or less agree with Paul about the Tomb Raider films. He should've stuck to Mortal Kombat or Alien vs Predator or something though, the former of which was a big success that jumpstarted his career in hollywood. That, should not of led to the RE stuff he does now.

Nemesis X
From what I hear, Paul hardly ever plays the Resident Evil games. In fact, he hires people to play the games for him and take footage of it for Paul to watch 'cause he "doesn't have time to play them."

Originally posted by Impediment
The biggest insult, to me, was portraying Nemesis as half cyborg with computerized vision. Christ, that pissed me off. I mean, it's taking away the wholw aspect of "terrifying bio-weapon that never ceases to stop hunting you".

Don't forget that he was also fighting Alice in H2H which pissed me off even more. Not to mention that the big guy even had emotions and tried to play hero near the end. Last I checked, that guy was an emotionless badass who would stop at nothing to complete his objective so why the hell would people go and make him some sort of love sick puppy for Alice? Sure in the movies, he was previously human and was Alice's love interest but it's stupid. I've always wanted to know more about the origins of Nemesis but not like that.

If other people besides Anderson made Resident Evil movies, the protagonist that would come to mind first would be a normal human being who battles biological terrors with experience, not with hax abilities like TELEKINESIS! Alice killing zombies and the like in a style that would have automatically played the song "Everyone's Kung Fu Fighting" is one thing but to wtfpwn Tyrants and Umbrella staff with her mind is where I drew the line with the character. At least she got gimped in Afterlife from this but I still consider her unlikeable considering the fact that the real stars of Resident Evil appear mostly as support characters who hardly do **** in the films while she just gladly hogs the spot light with her cheapness.

If Paul really did play the games, he wouldn't make some people out of character. Nikolai (or however you spell his name) for example is a good guy and is Australian while in the game, he was a villain and was Russian. I don't know why I'm talking about this when I already brought up Nemesis but hey, I like to try and point out every error in everybody. I'll mention more but not right now.

Paul Anderson is no different than Uwe Boll and the guys who made those Street Fighter movies.

Nemesis X
crylaugh

Ridley_Prime
Originally posted by Nemesis X
Paul Anderson is no different than Uwe Boll and the guys who made those Street Fighter movies.
When it comes to the Resident Evil films I mostly agree, but outside of those movies, he's been shown as a better director than the people who made Street Fighter and whatnot.

Regardless, I hope this part from the article proves true in the next few years.

Aside from the first Mortal Kombat and maybe one or two other VG films, none of them have really stayed true to their roots or been good as a whole, and I hate how the most awesome ideas for VG films (Metroid, Halo, etc.) get started a little in production but then always end up being put in development hell. That includes the next Mortal Kombat which I'm tired of still hearing rumors about. Any of those existing would be worlds better than continuing the Resident Evil film series which people have had more than enough of, or, that Space Invaders movie I heard about here. no expression

That reminds me, I still need to see that Tekken movie sometime.

steverules_2
I wonder if he knows what hypocrite means mhmm

Ridley_Prime
What I pointed out should be of more concern here than bashing Paul Anderson.

-Pr-
Methinks he's too busy banging his wife to play the games. I don't even like her that much, but hell, i'm not going to sit at a playstation when i could be doing something else...

He's still a tool, though.

AsbestosFlaygon
He's got a point though.

Every Video Game movie I've watched sucked *** compared to the video game counterpart.

It seems directors/writers can't replicate the storyline 'cause they never bothered actually playing the games. To think they already have a framework to expand on, they add unnecessary bullcrap in it.

Sadako of Girth
Read the title.

Loled.

Made some tea.

Drank it laughing.

And even as I started to post, I was still laughing.

Holy f**k...

dadudemon
Originally posted by Sadako of Girth
Read the title.

Loled.

Made some tea.

Drank it laughing.

And even as I started to post, I was still laughing.

Holy f**k...

laughing

The made some tea while laughing part was what did it for me. Cause no one makes tea while laughing...especially British people. big grin

Kazenji
Originally posted by AsbestosFlaygon

It seems directors/writers can't replicate the storyline 'cause they never bothered actually playing the games. To think they already have a framework to expand on, they add unnecessary bullcrap in it.

Why do they need to play the game for the story to begin with can't they just go the game developer since they pretty much made that game.

Lord Shadow Z
Originally posted by Kazenji
http://www.kotaku.com.au/2011/08/resident-evil-director-hits-out-at-poor-uninformed-video-game-movies/

Like to hell he can talk

all he does is decide to make a movie on a game and claims to be a fan of the that game, then the movie hardly resembles the game itself because he created his own story

Yeah, its a bit rich for him to come out and say that in light of his RE films. I love Mortal Kombat, like AVP and thought Death Race was good excitement so he did restore my confidence in him a bit after the RE films.

I was expecting the mansion, the STARS team and lots of horror survival themes - how wrong it ended up. Although I'm not denying its success as a franchise, its just that it tags the 'Resident Evil' name on and does its own thing. Kind of like Final Fantasy:TSW did.

Lord Shadow Z
Originally posted by dadudemon
laughing

The made some tea while laughing part was what did it for me. Cause no one makes tea while laughing...especially British people. big grin

Any time is a good time for tea. We have four different types in the house, and at one point, we had many more.

Not to mention:

AsbestosFlaygon
Originally posted by Kazenji
Why do they need to play the game for the story to begin with can't they just go the game developer since they pretty much made that game.
Yeah, that would be a better option, since the storyboards are kept by the devs.

Sadako of Girth
Originally posted by dadudemon
laughing

Yeah we do... the tricky part is drinking whilst laughing, the art is in breathing through your nose.

http://www.killermovies.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=13496079

Yes indeed, Z.

roughrider
He's a hack; a watered-down Michael Bay, sharing the same bunkspace of mediocrity as Stephen Sommers.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.