Wonder Woman (Diana) vs. Valkyrie (Brunnhilde)

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

dawsey28
Wonder Woman (Diana) vs. Valkyrie (Brunnhilde)

who wins?

spidermonkey
Unless Valkyrie has undergone an overwhelming power-up that I don't know about, Wonder Woman wins.

zopzop
Originally posted by spidermonkey
Unless Valkyrie has undergone an overwhelming power-up that I don't know about, Wonder Woman wins.
thumb up

guy222
diana

the ninjak
Diana is several levels above Valkyrie.

Brun is just a warrior woman who gained favor from Odin during one of his sieges in ancient times. He gave her the blessing of collecting the dead but didn't seem to give her too much in the way of the OdinForce.

She's just an expert fighter who has average Asgardian physiology as far as I'm concerned.

gogogadgetgo
spite thread is spite

leonidas
not sure it's spite, exactly, but not too far from it. val would give her a decent fight imo, but diana wouldn't have to work that hard for the win and she would win 10/10 for sure.

spidermonkey

dawsey28
Originally posted by gogogadgetgo
spite thread is spite

I admit that I don't know that much about Valkyrie. I thought she was basically like a female version of Thor or something.

bluewaterrider
Originally posted by dawsey28
I admit that I don't know that much about Valkyrie. I thought she was basically like a female version of Thor or something.

This is one of those matches where the answer to the main question or questions depends on the year it is or was when you ask or asked it.

Latter-half 2011? When you actually posted this question?
That might actually have been a 50/50 match.

The Diana Wonder Woman being featured by DC before our current version was the pants-wearing "nuDiana", after all.
She was strong and tough by, say, Marvel Comics' standards for superheroine women. Fact, she even endured an attack that KNOCKED OUT Superman in the movie Superman 2, nearly rallying afterwards to beat her three opponents.
Fairly certain she'd beat most of her own 1990s incarnations.
Certainly the Messner-Loebs interpretation I was shown a couple weeks ago would be bested by her, probably Perez Diana on a bad day, arguably even Byrne Diana if she wasn't careful.

You would have a GOOD fight if you had "pantsed" Diana versus Valkyrie.

On the other hand, most people refer to the Diana we saw featured in 2003 through 2010 when they ask a question like this last year.

THAT is a different question altogether.

I don't know about a full 10 of 10, but I don't see Brunnehild taking more than 10% of matches against THAT version of the character.

bluewaterrider
Originally posted by dawsey28

The Valkyrie has an interesting history and has changed much over time.
It wasn't necessarily a bad assumption on your part to think that.

In fact, the debut of the character revealed at first that there WAS no such character!

Here, take a careful look at the following, from Avengers v1 #83:

bluewaterrider
Marvel Comics original "Valkyrie" ...

Image 2 of 3.

bluewaterrider
The original Marvel Comics "Brunnehild Valkyrie" ...

Image 3 of 3.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Source: Avengers #83, Volume 1
Writer: Roy Thomas
Penciller: John Buscema
Date: December 1970
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://marvel.wikia.com/Avengers_Vol_1_83

bluewaterrider
Originally posted by bluewaterrider

Latter-half 2011 ...
Diana Wonder Woman being featured by DC before our current version was the pants-wearing "nuDiana" ...

strong and tough ... endured an attack that KNOCKED OUT Superman in the movie Superman 2 ...

Image 1 of 6.

bluewaterrider
Pantsed Diana versus nuFuries

Image 2 of 6.

bluewaterrider
Image 3 of 6.

JakeTheBank
Diana decisively.

bluewaterrider
Image 4 of 6.

bluewaterrider
Image 5 of 6.

bluewaterrider
End of "Pantsed" nuDiana (Wonder Woman 2011)
"Superman 2" bus scene, her first "Fury" encounter.

Image 6 of 6.

Source: Wonder Woman #608, Volume 4**
Writers: J. Michael Straczynski & Phil Hester
Penciller: Eduardo Pansica
Date: April 2011
http://dc.wikia.com/wiki/Wonder_Woman_Vol_1_608

** Volume labelling will depend on how you class these things; this series followed Gail Simone's Volume 3 run, for instance, but was part of a hyped re-numbering marketing tactic used earlier that year or a previous one.

nwg202
diana stomps

bluewaterrider
In more than one way, it is cheering to see people giving Diana the majority. Nor, given what people undoubtedly have in mind these past few years now when they envision Wonder Woman, do I significantly disagree.

Still, people should know at least a few things about Diana's opponent here, and I doubt that they do, especially given that even the original poster admitted he or she doesn't, so ...

Use "ctrl + f" to find the word "Valkyrie" after clicking the following link:

http://goodcomics.comicbookresources.com/2008/11/13/comic-book-legends-revealed-181/

bluewaterrider
Originally posted by bluewaterrider

The Valkyrie has an interesting history and has changed much over time.
It wasn't necessarily a bad assumption on your part to think that .

Wikipedia has the following to say about Val ...

" ... Valkyrie is a fictional character and Marvel Comics superhero. An Asgardian demi-goddess by birth, her real name is Brunnhilde. Among her other aliases are Barbara Denton-Norriss, Samantha Parrington, and Sian Bowen who all were host bodies to the spirit of Brunnhilde. For much of her history she was a mainstay of the superhero team known as the Defenders. Samantha Parrington, a previous host to Brunnhilde, later received the Valkyrie powers herself and became a member of the Defenders as Valkyrie ... "

Frankly, I don't quite know what to make of that.
As mentioned earlier in this thread, Valkyrie's 1st appearance really wasn't. It was actually the Enchantress adopting a disguise at half power. Which is actually a greater portion of mystical AND physical might than most people suspect. I don't know how much Valkyrie/Amora power we're being treated to here, for instance, but the results are pretty noteworthy when you think about it ...

(Image 1 of 5)

bluewaterrider
Image 2 of 5.

bluewaterrider
Image 3 of 5.

Valkyrie Parrington/Brunnhilde versus ... Hulk!

bluewaterrider
Image 4 of 5.

This is why I cannot give even 2003-2010 Diana a full 10/10.

It's true that her battle against the Hulk is not standard dual engagement, but she nonetheless achieves something the average person couldn't dream of doing here ...

The level of physical strength and expertise this suggests Val possesses proves this COULD prove an interesting encounter in a future crossover book ...

bluewaterrider
Image 5 of 5.

Note how long Hulk CONTINUES to stay out from Val's attack on the previous page. Definitely only the slimmest of chances are present for Val against 2003-2010 Diana; just as certainly that chance DOES exist for her, and, again, matchups against most OTHER versions of Diana might actually prove good engagements.

Source: Incredible Hulk #42, Volume 2**
Writer: Roy Thomas
Penciller: Herb Trimpe
Date: August 1971
http://marvel.wikia.com/Incredible_Hulk_Vol_1_142

bluewaterrider
Little surprised to note how much I actually have on Valkyrie in my collection.

Don't quote me on the ref info just yet, though.

Amazing Spider-Man #6, Volume 1.
Marvel Team Up (Spider-man and Thor)
Dazzler #6
Secret Wars Trade.

PillarofOsiris
Valkyrie is getting stomped HARD.

bluewaterrider
I don't know which version of Wonder Woman Dawsey was asking about when he made this thread; it's worth pointing out Diana2011 herself was no match in strength for the one WE normally associate with the name (the 2003-2010 "bikini" version).

bluewaterrider
Image 2 of 8.

bluewaterrider
Clotho's second strand.

Image 3 of 8.

bluewaterrider
Image 4 of 8.

bluewaterrider
Image 5 of 8.

bluewaterrider
Image 6 of 8.

Tug of war proof that Odyssey Diana did not quite measure up to ... herself ... in terms of physical strength.

bluewaterrider
Image 7 of 8.

A second show of power by majorityDiana...

Q99
It's worth noting that Odyssey WW's power gradually increased throughout the story until you get where you are there. There's really not just one 'Odyssey WW power'.

bluewaterrider
Originally posted by Q99
It's worth noting that Odyssey WW's power gradually increased throughout the story until you get where you are there. There's really not just one 'Odyssey WW power'.

That's partially true, but, if I'm getting these dates right
(and I'm not assuming I am), Dawsey posted this just before OdysseyDiana merged with the half that contained majority strength.

I don't know how much the difference was; a reasonable estimate is that majorityD was AT LEAST twice as strong as her pantsed counterpart, and very likely far, far more.

Note that majorityD won against OdysseyDiana in tug of war despite OdysseyDiana pulling with both hands and all the force of her body.

MajorityD merely flexing her arm completely overpowers that effort.

bluewaterrider
Originally posted by Q99

It also should be pointed out that Odyssey Diana had to supernaturally MERGE with majorityDiana before she reclaimed the bulk of her power.

Arguably, at no point of shared comicbook "screentime" is Odyssey Diana shown even remotely strong enough to handle her more famously dressed "half" in a physical bout.

bluewaterrider
Surprises me that this thread would go up without any supply of background info, save my own, on the Valkyrie.

It's late, long day, I'm tired and watching a re-run of Detroit's 2012 Fireworks via clickondetroit dot com no interest in doing anything disciplined or detailed.

Nevertheless wanted to get the following images/links etcetera into this thread.

They should more or less speak for themselves.

Main points:

Odyssey Diana, and perhaps the majority of other Dianas (Perez, Messner-Loebs, etcera), all save the 2003-2010 Wondy, would find Brunnehild Valkyrie a greater challenge than most people realize, perhaps to even or even slightly (CIS) underdog odds.

Link describing Perez Cheetah, significant because Perez Diana was trapped by a snapped tree trunk in their first fight. Lizard could snap trees, Amora the Enchantress, the first "true" Brunnehild Valkyrie ...

Ah, skip it. Let me just supply the following, and ...

http://asylums.insanejournal.com/scans_daily/77098.html

bluewaterrider
Image 1 of t

bluewaterrider
Image 2 of t.

bluewaterrider
Image 3 of t.

bluewaterrider
Image 4 of t.

bluewaterrider
Image _ of t.

(Amora crushes stone with her bare hands.)

bluewaterrider
Image _ of t.

Amora bloodies She-hulks lip as she lightly (well, not lightly...)
slaps her away.

bluewaterrider
Image _ of t.

Bulletproof, strong enough to shake the grip of Spider-man, snap a tree, destroy heavy construction machinery, throw people half-a-mile, and yes, slash an Asgardian if he caught them unawares, watch how well the might and magic of Amora yet deal with the Lizard.

Emphasis on "might", by the way.

Most people don't know, because she's casting spells every 6 minutes, but Amora is superhuman, hence why even at HALF power she could create the guise of Brunnehild Valkyrie and satisfy the physical portion.

To say almost nothing about handling the Hulk's cousin and Hulk himself.

More than merely shapely, she's a STRONG little flaxen-haired lunatic ...

bluewaterrider
I have the issue somewhere in storage, unfortunately not in digital format, but Valkyrie actually fights against Thor himself in one of the old MTU magazines. She also fights against Spider-man, which is the reason I got that comic to begin with.

Here's what I have on my desktop.

It may not be stellar, but it does nevertheless showcase some of the strength Valkyrie possesses.

bluewaterrider
Spider-man, Thor, and Valkyrie in MTU.

Image 2 of 6.

bluewaterrider
Image 3 of 6.

bluewaterrider
Image 4 of 6.

bluewaterrider
Image 5 of 6.

bluewaterrider
Image 6 of 6.

Source: Marvel Team Up #116, Volume 1
Writer: J.M. DeMatteis
Penciller: Herb Trimpe
Date: April 1982
http://marvel.wikia.com/Marvel_Team-Up_Vol_1_116

bluewaterrider
Recalling this now for Enchantress ref info ...
Amazed to realize this is still find-able after 5 years ...

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.