Footloose (2011)

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Mr Parker
Its bad enough that it just seems like they are going to keep making one James Bond movie after another as long as they can keep making movies,but they have really crossed the line now major big time by having the gall to make a remake of the classic movie Footloose with Kevin Bacon. mad

Sorry but NOBODY can measure up to his performance he gave in that film.He was born to play that role. mad Not only that,the girl cast opposite of him is just ugly. sick Not at all hot like Lori Singer was.

whats next,a remake of the origianl Star Wars trilogy? roll eyes (sarcastic)

Nothing surprises me anymore now with this so that would not surprise me.I mean it would be one thing if they did like they did with Hairspray and have it be a musical but they are just remaking and copying practically EVERYTHING they did from the original film. mad
The original movie was so perfectly cast.Everybody was perfectly cast in their roles.This film will not measure up the great casting choices made from the original film.why try and mess with perfection?

The Only thing about this film that makes me curious to see it when it comes to cable,is it looks like they might explain more his fallout he had with his father and go into more detail about that.Thats the ONLY thing that makes me want to view it which again i will wait till it comes to cable.

Esau Cairn
I saw an interview with Kevin Bacon recently.
He said, when Footloose was originally released he hated the popularity it gave him.

Every time he went to a party, someone would inevitably put the song on then the crowd would literally gather in a circle around him & expect him to break into dance. it was more like a curse that people looked at him like he was a performing monkey.

I can only guess that that writers guild strike really shook Hollywood up. Producers/directors just didn't realise the crippling effect the strike had on their productions.

Remakes in that sense need less writers (& imagination) to still be a box office hit. Whether the individual loathes the idea of a remake, they'll still pay for a movie ticket to back up their negative opinions.

Mr Parker
Originally posted by Esau Cairn
I saw an interview with Kevin Bacon recently.
He said, when Footloose was originally released he hated the popularity it gave him.

Every time he went to a party, someone would inevitably put the song on then the crowd would literally gather in a circle around him & expect him to break into dance. it was more like a curse that people looked at him like he was a performing monkey.

I can only guess that that writers guild strike really shook Hollywood up. Producers/directors just didn't realise the crippling effect the strike had on their productions.

Remakes in that sense need less writers (& imagination) to still be a box office hit. Whether the individual loathes the idea of a remake, they'll still pay for a movie ticket to back up their negative opinions.

yeah i remember seeing that as well.How bout you? do you agree with all my points? did you like the movie footloose? the people that did,most probably agree,the people who didnt like it,they of course could care less.

Robtard
Originally posted by Mr Parker
Its bad enough that it just seems like they are going to keep making one James Bond movie after another as long as they can keep making movies,but they have really crossed the line now major big time by having the gall to make a remake of the classic movie Footloose with Kevin Bacon. mad

So of all the remakes, this is the film that's the untouchable gem for you?

Come on. Film was cheesy/shit, it can't get all that much worse in a remake.

Esau Cairn
How bout you? do you agree with all my points? did you like the movie footloose? the people that did,most probably agree,the people who didnt like it,they of course could care less.

Although I can't remember much of Footloose, I agree that it was an iconic movie for it's time. Rebellion themes with a classic 80's pop soundtrack doesn't really count in my opinion as a need to remake it for the 2000 generation.

Yes, I can see Hollywood pitching & remaking The Breakfast Club, Sixteen Candles & St. Elmo's Fire.

If you are in your forties, as I am then we are in that generation to be cynical about Hollywood's pale excuse at blockbusters ie: Remakes & Reboots.

I don't agree with your comparisons to James Bond. The 007 movies are a franchise, no matter who plays the character.

A remake of Star Wars?
No, not as long as Lucas is greedy & content enough to keep rehashing & altering the movies he's already done.
He's releasing Phantom Menace next year IN 3D...how much more tedious is Jar jar & the pod race gonna get?

Mr Parker
Although I can't remember much of Footloose, I agree that it was an iconic movie for it's time. Rebellion themes with a classic 80's pop soundtrack doesn't really count in my opinion as a need to remake it for the 2000 generation.

Yes, I can see Hollywood pitching & remaking The Breakfast Club, Sixteen Candles & St. Elmo's Fire.

If you are in your forties, as I am then we are in that generation to be cynical about Hollywood's pale excuse at blockbusters ie: Remakes & Reboots.

I don't agree with your comparisons to James Bond. The 007 movies are a franchise, no matter who plays the character.

A remake of Star Wars?
No, not as long as Lucas is greedy & content enough to keep rehashing & altering the movies he's already done.
He's releasing Phantom Menace next year IN 3D...how much more tedious is Jar jar & the pod race gonna get?

thats a good point i hadnt thought of.since the movie had mostly 80's pop soundtrack songs it makes no sense to try and remake a film like this.if they play the same songs from the movie,then its going to be dated roll eyes (sarcastic) if they keep those sings out and use different songs,then your betraying the source material, so either way it proves they are morons for doing this.

Like i said,i could understand it if they were doing what they did with hairspray where the original movie that came out i think in the late 90's sometime.it wasnt a musical.So they made a play out of the movie and made it into a musical and then a movie remake by making the next movie a musical.Now if they were doing it THAT way,making this movie a musical like Hairspray did,i would be all for it but they're not, so its just plain dumb as hell to remake this movie either way you cut it.

btw,I assume you have never seen the play Footloose? if you havent and you love this movie as much as i do,then you should order the play sometime and read it.Its really good also.

ADarksideJedi

Sorry but NOBODY can measure up to his performance he gave in that film.He was born to play that role. mad Not only that,the girl cast opposite of him is just ugly. sick Not at all hot like Lori Singer was.

whats next,a remake of the origianl Star Wars trilogy? roll eyes (sarcastic)

Nothing surprises me anymore now with this so that would not surprise me.I mean it would be one thing if they did like they did with Hairspray and have it be a musical but they are just remaking and copying practically EVERYTHING they did from the original film. mad
The original movie was so perfectly cast.Everybody was perfectly cast in their roles.This film will not measure up the great casting choices made from the original film.why try and mess with perfection?

The Only thing about this film that makes me curious to see it when it comes to cable,is it looks like they might explain more his fallout he had with his father and go into more detail about that.Thats the ONLY thing that makes me want to view it which again i will wait till it comes to cable.

They kind of did that with Star wars already but started it in the begining not the end. Anyway I think it is just pitful are the directors and writter that brainless?

Robtard

Teen rebellion is timeless, so it could very well work today as it did 25+ years ago, just with updated dance moves and soundtrack.

Granted, I have no hopes for this film, as teen movies of today are of lower quality than teen flicks of the 80's. Compare The Breakfast Club, Some Kind of Wonderful and Can't Buy Me Love to the Twilight Saga flicks.

Impediment
Instead of Kenny Loggins as the soundtrack, it's gonna be some titular R&B/pop rock/dance/techno song.

I cant wait to see how bad it is.

Robtard
Never know, they could very well use many of the same songs, just covered by current artist.

super pr*xy
no.. just.. no..

Esau Cairn
Originally posted by Robtard
Teen rebellion is timeless, so it could very well work today as it did 25+ years ago, just with updated dance moves and soundtrack.

Granted, I have no hopes for this film, as teen movies of today are of lower quality than teen flicks of the 80's. Compare The Breakfast Club, Some Kind of Wonderful and Can't Buy Me Love to the Twilight Saga flicks.

Teen rebellion might be a timeless theme but are you really gonna break out in song & dance (Footloose style) in the middle of a meth lab whilst yer homies are doing drive-bys becos they feel dissed & misunderstood?

ADarksideJedi
Teen rebellion might be a timeless theme but are you really gonna break out in song & dance (Footloose style) in the middle of a meth lab whilst yer homies are doing drive-bys becos they feel dissed & misunderstood?

lol you hit that one right on the nail! laughing

Mr Parker
Originally posted by ADarksideJedi
lol you hit that one right on the nail! laughing

yeah he sure did.well said.

Like i said earlier,nobody can meausure up to the performance that Kevin Bacon gave.I have seen him in other films where I really liked what he did in that movie as well but as i said before,he was born to play this part.there is no other Ren Mccormick.

They had a really extremely hard time finding the right actor to play the part.In the DVD,the producer talks about how they looked at a lot of other different actors before settling on Bacon.They said the closest they came to finding someone to play the part before settling on Bacon was Tom Cruise.

They had gone through so many different actors that they were getting desperate and they thought of Cruise and asked him to give a reading which he did but they just werent sold on Cruise either.they said that he didnt quite fit what they were looking for either so they had to pass on him as well.Thank God for that because while Cruise is a pretty good actor now,back then he was horrible.

The producer was then talking to one of his friends who assisted in the casting of Diner that Bacon was in before Footloose so he told him he should take a look at Bacon.Fortunately he listened to his friend and Bacon gave a screen test and reading and they were automatically sold on him from day one.The producer and the director before they had cast Bacon, had taken in some other actors they thought might be able to do the role but those producers told them no,that they were not quite what they were looking for including Cruise.

So since they had had a hard time getting the executive producers to accept their previous choices before and they were sold on Bacon and that he was the perfect choice they had in mind for the role, the producer told the director-Thats it,this is our last guy we are going to go in there with and give a screen test to them for.If they dont like him,we are walking out,thats it.He is our guy.The executive producers of course liked what they saw from Bacon in his screen test but the only thing they were worried about was bacon could not dance and was not a dancer so they told them-dont worry about that,he'll learn and he'll do it.and of course he did and the rest is history.

they went to all that trouble trying to find the perfect Ren Mccormick,they finally in the end got what they were looking for making the perfect casting choice and now they want to destroy a classic. roll eyes (sarcastic) nice work hollywood. mad

Robtard

Does this movie focus specifically on inner-city youths of say South Central Los Angeles. If so, you might have a point.

The theme of youth rebellion goes back to Rebel Without A Cause, probably before. If done right, it can work in 2011 too and beyond.

So far the anti-remake crowd arguments amount to: "I like this movie, ergo it shouldn't be remade." Which is silly.

Robtard

they went to all that trouble trying to find the perfect Ren Mccormick,they finally in the end got what they were looking for making the perfect casting choice and now they want to destroy a classic. roll eyes (sarcastic) nice work hollywood. mad

How does a remake 25+ years later destroy Footloose of 1984?

I for one was grateful of the Conan(film I enjoy greatly) remake, it was so terrible it showed how great the original is, in a manner.

Mr. Rhythmic
Come on. Film was cheesy/shit, it can't get all that much worse in a remake.

You're on your own there. "Footloose" is a great movie, and there's absolutely no reason to make yet another useless remake.

I never pay to see all of these remakes, because I'm hoping that one day other people get sick of it too.

Robtard
Originally posted by Mr. Rhythmic
You're on your own there. "Footloose" is a great movie, and there's absolutely no reason to make yet another useless remake.

I never pay to see all of these remakes, because I'm hoping that one day other people get sick of it too.

Our 'it's a great' or 'not great' film is a matter of opinion, in 1984, I didn't care for it much. Don't love it, but don't hate it. There is a reason to make the film though; it's the same reason most other films are made; why the original was made. There's a market for it and it will generate $$$.

Which is fine;support what you like, 100% agreement there. But saying "they shouldn't make it" is silly.

Impediment

Click me.

Esau Cairn
Does this movie focus specifically on inner-city youths of say South Central Los Angeles. If so, you might have a point.

The theme of youth rebellion goes back to Rebel Without A Cause, probably before. If done right, it can work in 2011 too and beyond.

So far the anti-remake crowd arguments amount to: "I like this movie, ergo it shouldn't be remade." Which is silly.

Yes, but what exactly do youths have to rebel against these days?

Uptight parents & a close-minded society were the days of Thatcher & Reagan, getting drafted into the army & burning books that questioned religion & the state. None of these factors would be applicable to a present day Footloose.

In a lot of ways, 8 Mile was this generation's FootLoose.

ADarksideJedi
I saw the coming atreation btw and it was silly. Go see it if you don't believe me.

Mr Parker
Originally posted by Impediment
Click me.
yep,yep and yep from both of these posts.

Mr Parker

Uptight parents & a close-minded society were the days of Thatcher & Reagan, getting drafted into the army & burning books that questioned religion & the state. None of these factors would be applicable to a present day Footloose.

Plus not only that,there wont be no surprises in store.Your going to know exactly whats going to happen from the very first minute of the film to the very end so whats the point? roll eyes (sarcastic) Like i said before,if your going to do a remake of Footloose,follow the same pattern of hairspray where the origianl movie made in the last 80's i think it was,like Footloose,it also wasnt a musical.then they made a play out of it making it a musical,then they remade the movie making it into a musical.

Do the same thing with Footloose if your going to make a remake of the MOVIE.Make it into a musical from the play like with Hairspray.Now THAT I would be okay with.

Robtard

Same thing they did in 1984, authority and what they see as repression of individuality.

Pretty sure this story is similar as in 1984, small town where the kids are repressed and the big city outsider comes in to shake things up. Small towns with heavy religious undertones exist today as they did in 1984. It's only 27 years, not 270. Things haven't changed that much.

Mr Parker
I saw the coming atreation btw and it was silly. Go see it if you don't believe me.

I know.its pathetic.makes me want to do this. sick

I never saw the trailer to the original Footloose movie until like a few years ago when I got the DVD.The original trailer is every bit as awesome and exciting as the movie is.I could watch THIS trailer here hundreds of times over and over and never get sick of it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FaaYU-lZ3ac
actually I have watched it that many times.well thats an exxageration but Im not exagerating when I say i have watched it DOZENS of times over and over again some nights and STILL love it.I could never get tired of it since it is my second favorite movie of all time after star wars a new hope and empire strikes back.

this new trailer alone by itself,again makes me want to do this. sick

ADarksideJedi
Me too luckly I was not eating at the time or I would had thrown up. Star wars should be the first before any movie!

Mr Parker
They kind of did that with Star wars already but started it in the begining not the end. Anyway I think it is just pitful are the directors and writter that brainless?

well not really,thats a little different because Lucas who was the original creator always had in mind he wanted to do some 3 movie prequal series so he has that perogative.just wish he hadnt done it though since they suck so bad and dont have the magic of the orginal trilogy.

I said this over on another thread about the new Hawaii Five O show below but it is so true so it has to be mentioned again.

yeah sad but true now that I think about it.what really sucks is they are doing it in television as well.Im sorry but there is only ONE Steve Mcgarret and that is Jack Lord.He was awesome in that role.Thats another example where everything was perfectly cast and they are messing with perfection. you just cant replace that opening shot of Lord on the top floor of that hotel in the camera zooms in on him.That was so classic the way they opened it.I watched one episode of that show and it so much pissed me off to see that theme song going and not seing Lord and the other actors in that show for the opening sequence.

Mr Parker
Instead of Kenny Loggins as the soundtrack, it's gonna be some titular R&B/pop rock/dance/techno song.

I cant wait to see how bad it is.

Oh man this movie is going to bomd so bad I will laugh my ass off.When the the die hards out there such as myself who actually DO go and see this-I wont but others will,THEY will be so pissed when they hear that lame ass song they will hate ot from the beginning.Geez at least if your going to remake it at least keep Loggins soundtrack in the opening sequence.Loggins had such the perfct voice for the theme song Footloose.You just dont mess with that. roll eyes (sarcastic)

Yeah when thhis movie comes out on cable,I will sit there and laugh at how bad this thing bombed.I just dont see it taking off.If im wrong on that,I'll just have to eat it I guess.

the ninjak
Oh my........ these actors don't even compare to Bacon, Singer and fricken Lithgow!

Mr Parker
Originally posted by the ninjak
Oh my........ these actors don't even compare to Bacon, Singer and fricken Lithgow!

thats the understatement of the year. thumb up I think its safe to say that the actress playing the mom of Mccormicks girlfriend doesnt measure up to the talent of that actress from the REAL Footloose movie either.

Mr Parker
I know.its pathetic.makes me want to do this. sick

I never saw the trailer to the original Footloose movie until like a few years ago when I got the DVD.The original trailer is every bit as awesome and exciting as the movie is.I could watch THIS trailer here hundreds of times over and over and never get sick of it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FaaYU-lZ3ac

this trailer here brings back so many fond memories for me of when this movie first came out back then. Happy Dance

Mr Parker
375 views.Many people are obviously viewing this thread and not happy about this new remake at all as evidenced by the comments from the few people that HAVE replied on this thread.

Bardock42
I'm so glad they are remaking this. Will be great.

Mr Parker
Originally posted by Bardock42
I'm so glad they are remaking this. Will be great.

Ha.I know from your past posts about this movie you are not serious. stick out tongue

you really need to look at the trailer.you can tell from the trailer its going to suck and be a joke. sick

the ninjak
The girl playing Ariel has nice bewbz. And the guy playing Willard Hewitt has charisma.

Doesn't surprise me that my cinema is using him to promote the film.

Mr Parker
yeah but that actress playing Ariel is ugly as dirt. sick maybe thats going too far but she is not attractive at all.

the ninjak
yeah but that actress playing Ariel is ugly as dirt. sick maybe thats going too far but she is not attractive at all.

I wouldn't kick her out of bed! She looks like Jen Aniston but more sleezy. Which works for me.

the ninjak
Yeah she aint ugly. And I'm kinda angry bout the huge amount of people I've heard say so as well.

http://i977.photobucket.com/albums/ae259/the_ninjak/Juli.jpg

ADarksideJedi
The actess looks like all blond actess (like a clone) anyway I can alot of why people does not accept her if you are use to one actess playing the main part then you don't want anyone else playing her.

RE: Blaxican
Yeah she aint ugly. And I'm kinda angry bout the huge amount of people I've heard say so as well.

http://i977.photobucket.com/albums/ae259/the_ninjak/Juli.jpg She looks incredibly generic.

the ninjak
Yeah you can tell she's got a tonne of makeup on.

Mr Parker

amen to that.you nailed it. thumb up

i totally agree on what you said in yoru second paragaph as well.

BruceSkywalker
i saw the original film back in the day.. i loved it as i saw it a few times..

this remake will not work.. julianne hough is just a smokin' hot babe who cannot act her way out of a doggy bag..

Mr Parker
Originally posted by BruceSkywalker
i saw the original film back in the day.. i loved it as i saw it a few times..

this remake will not work.. julianne hough is just a smokin' hot babe who cannot act her way out of a doggy bag..

yeah i saw the original film a few times myself back then when it was released,it was different and an amazing film.this new film,everybody is going to know whats gonna happen so whats the point? roll eyes (sarcastic) yeah this remake willnot work at all. hough looks good from these pics but from i have seen of the trailer,she looks horrible in this movie.very good decision to bag this movie.this movie is gonna bomb.i made a thread of this at another movie site with the same title and these are some of the comments that have been coming in from there.people are very unhappy they are making a remake out of this.
here are some of the comments for openers.

I didn't realize the original Footloose had that supportive of fans.

Julianne Hough is hot though, I still have no interest despite her being in this.

no thanks.

Making an awful remake doesn't do anything to help the original. The current generation will not take the time to watch the original and will think the hip-hop version with all these no-name actors is god's gift to dance movies. This is beyond ridiculous. Also, it's not like it's a remake with a new (albeit similar) plot, different the original. No - it's a carbon copy of the original, which means Brewer is spitting in Kevin Bacon's face, and that's not allowed.

well there you have THREE comments so far from other movie fans of this film.as you can see so far,they are not happy at all with this pitiful remake either.I will be posting more of their replys later to keep this thread alive till the movie comes to the theatres.

Robtard
Parker, when you obsess over something, you obsess.

steverules_2
Early reviews of it have been bad, they say it's just trying to make money

Robtard
Trying to make money is the point of 99.9% of films.

Mr Parker
Originally posted by steverules_2
Early reviews of it have been bad, they say it's just trying to make money

they better hope the teens take to it cause the fanbase of the TRUE footloose movie is bashing it.

Mr Parker
here are more examples of this.this first poster told me that because of how crappy the new trailer looks,that he doesnt want to see it and after seeing the origianl trailer,is tempted to see the original now.here is three more after that.

haven't seen the original Footloose but I am indeed tempted now.

We have a Footloose remake and a Dirty Dancing remake.

It's just a matter of time before they do a Saturday Night Fever remake.
THIS PERSON IS PISSED AS WELL OBVIOUSLY.

and finally this one.

For some reason, this remake has me pissed off more so then most of the remakes of late.

Simply because it looks like utter shit.

This last poster hit the nail right on the head,I give him a standing ovation. thumb up rock rock

Robtard
they better hope the teens take to it cause the fanbase of the TRUE footloose movie is bashing it.

Considering it' filled with teens and takes place in a high school setting, do you think they're targeting people who are 30-40+ or teens/early 20's crowd?

Mr Parker
here are more examples of this.this first poster told me that because of how crappy the new trailer looks,that he doesnt want to see it and after seeing the origianl trailer,is tempted to see the original now.here is three more after that.

haven't seen the original Footloose but I am indeed tempted now.

THIS PERSON IS PISSED AS WELL OBVIOUSLY.

and finally this one.

For some reason, this remake has me pissed off more so then most of the remakes of late.

Simply because it looks like utter shit.

This last poster hit the nail right on the head,I give him a standing ovation. thumb up rock rock

something worth mentioning is that the thread at this other movie site where i made this thread at,it had about 45 replies and only around five people said they were going to see the remake.thats why they are gonna have to rely on the teen base for it to make money.most the fans of the original,wisely are boycotting it.

FistOfThe North
Footloose needs to remain in the 80's but since hollywood's always gotta make a buck no matter how, especially after now running outta ideas, the result are remakes of movies that absolutely do not need to be remade.

Impediment
Footloose is a generic 80's cult film that was bad then, and will be bad again in 2011.

FistOfThe North
it was one of the most popular 80's movies and probaly one of the best dance movies of all time.

Mr Parker
Originally posted by FistOfThe North
it was one of the most popular 80's movies and probaly one of the best dance movies of all time.

thumb up
exactly.bad then? get real.Like you said, it was one of the most popular movies of the 80's.the thing that I loved about it so much was the relationships between ariel and her father and ren and his father.It was a magical film that many people besides myself could relate to.thats why it became so popular.this new generation who hasnt seen the original,once they see this film and then later want to see the original,they will see how bad this new movie really is.Like i said,even the trailer for the 1984 film is awesome where this new one looks like utter shit.

again for the people who have not seen the trailer from the original film.take a stroll down memory lane.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FaaYU-lZ3ac

this new one ,again,even the trailer looks like shit.

Robtard
Magical...

Robtard
Footloose is a generic 80's cult film that was bad then, and will be bad again in 2011.

There's nothing generic about teen rebellion, especially in the 80's film segment. Nothing.

Mr Parker
still MORE people who have voiced their anger over this stupid and pointless remake.this first poster below by the way,put an angry mad smiley at the end of their post by the way.HE/SHE is pissed about it as well obviously.

like he said,its just a matter of time before they do a saturday night fever remake.and Grease and flashdance as well.they are already doing dirty dancing remake. mad

Mr Parker
then there is this great point this poster made at another movie message board.

There is such a thing as cultural relevance. The idea of a small town banning dancing is completely plausible in the early 80s, given that there would still be some hold-over social attitudes from the 50s and 60s in the older generations... but to have the same thing in 2011? That's just stupid.

You've got a generation of teens that grew up with the internet, MTV's Jackass, 16 and Pregnant, 2 girls, 1 cup, and you think dancing is your biggest problem?

They should have just spun this off as Save the Last Dance Again, or Step Up 4Ever.

He so much hit the nail on the head.a movie in the 80's where dancing is banned in a small town worked back then but people are going to think this movie is so stupid because that doesnt work NOW in this day and age where pretty much everything goes.wow,thats another great point why this remake is stupid.I cant believe i didnt think about that.I mean in this day and age they expect us to believe that some town is going to ban dancing where again,pretty much everything goes in this day and age? roll eyes (sarcastic) give me a freaking break. roll eyes (sarcastic) laughing rolling on floor laughing laughing out loud laughing

EvilAngel
Ugh, I saw this and had one thought; that it's a completely stupid idea. Back when the original was made Rock & Roll was frowned upon and there were places it was banned. But in this day and age.... only like private religious communities do that. It can't have the same effect at all... plus i get the feeling the 'rock' in that movie might be more 'pop' =\

Not that I hate pop music (mostly) but it defeats the point of the movie...

Plus it looks a Lot more like these dance movies that have been coming out of the past few years than it does the original.

Imo, a recipe for suck, and i shall not be wasting my money on it.

But as i see, you beat me to it ;p

Anyways yeah, sucky movie, the original was awesome though.

Patient_Leech

Haha, yeah. A friend of mine told me about this movie the other day. The remake, that is. Now that I see that John Lithgow was the preacher in the original, I SAY F*CK THE REMAKE!! Haha... Dennis Quaid is lame.

MovMispercept
I could really care less about the original version of footloose. So why would I care if they make a remake? The original was already cheesy. I shudder to think how the new one is going to try and appeal to the modern dance/club crowd. Blech

srankmissingnin
I've seen the original. It's not really my thing. I think the remake looks laughably bad though.

Mr Parker
Originally posted by EvilAngel
Ugh, I saw this and had one thought; that it's a completely stupid idea. Back when the original was made Rock & Roll was frowned upon and there were places it was banned. But in this day and age.... only like private religious communities do that. It can't have the same effect at all... plus i get the feeling the 'rock' in that movie might be more 'pop' =\

Not that I hate pop music (mostly) but it defeats the point of the movie...

Plus it looks a Lot more like these dance movies that have been coming out of the past few years than it does the original.

Imo, a recipe for suck, and i shall not be wasting my money on it.

But as i see, you beat me to it ;p

Anyways yeah, sucky movie, the original was awesome though.

yeah there are some movies where you can tell just by looking at the trailer the film is horrible and this is one of them.thats a great point that I hadnt considered either that you are so correct on,yeah back then,it was not unheard of for there to be small towns where rock and roll was frowned upon where in this day and age,pretty much everything goes.like you said,the only place where it might be banned is in religious communitys.yeah its a recipe for suck,smart move not to waste your money on this movie. thumb up

Mr Parker
Originally posted by Patient_Leech
Haha, yeah. A friend of mine told me about this movie the other day. The remake, that is. Now that I see that John Lithgow was the preacher in the original, I SAY F*CK THE REMAKE!! Haha... Dennis Quaid is lame.

amen to that. thumb up rock rock

ADarksideJedi
Originally posted by Patient_Leech

I argee he is not much of an actor.

vladereign
another crappy film

Mr Parker
I argee he is not much of an actor.

He's okay.He's just not great.Lithgow is a more gifted and accomplished actor in the fact that he has been on broadway and often does shows on broadway at times still.
He did a show on broadway not too long ago matter of fact.He excels at drama and he was so perfectly cast for that role.

Quaid while not an awful actor,is not as gifted as Lithgow and his acting is limited to just films so there is no comparison just like the acting talent compared to Singer and Bacon,there is no comparison either.

tkitna

This. I cant believe anybody cares about Footloose (i'm still laughing). I was in 8th grade when the original came out and we all thought it was dumb as hell even back then.

I want to dance,,,,,,oh God. laughing

Robtard
Originally posted by tkitna
This. I cant believe anybody cares about Footloose (i'm still laughing). I was in 8th grade when the original came out and we all thought it was dumb as hell even back then.

I want to dance,,,,,,oh God. laughing

WTF!? You're telling me the standard montage scene in an 80's movie where the protagonist realizes/prepares for with what he has to do to be the hero and/or save the day didn't touch you and stay with you forever in Footloose?

Look again!
FsCO-YkDgnY

Mr Parker

Ninjak is so right.practically everybody at IMDB are blasting rightly so,the acting talent of these three. laughing The ONLY one they have have given credit to doing a good job is the guy who plays williard whom Chris Penn played in the movie as you can see below.this is pretty much what they ALL say over there. laughing pretty sad since Williard has just a small supporting role that he is the ONLY one that does a decent job. laughing

The acting in the film is even more disappointing. Dennis Quaid looks embarrassed in every scene he is in, overacting as much as he possibly can to forget that he is in the film. Andie McDowell looks like she wandered in off the wrong set, and just decided to stick around as a background character. Wormald is a poor substitute for Bacon, and is an even worse lead for a major motion picture. I realize he is a dancer first and foremost, but leaving him to carry this film was an awful decision. He looks frightened and confused for the majority of the film, and quivers through most of his lines. He lacks Ren's charm, and is never believable when he rebels against authority. You want to believe in this character, but all you will do is laugh at how staggeringly bad Wormald's performance is. Julianne Hough, the female lead, at least attempts to act. She comes close to a breakthrough in more than one instance, but she comes off a bit too amateur for her own good. She makes a great dance partner for Wormald, but for what little shred of chemistry she has, it is made totally moot when he opens his mouth.

What redeems the film from being the awful travesty it should be is Teller's performance as Willard. The moment he walks on-screen, he has an energy to him that is simply unmatchable. He is the single best thing about the film, embodying the innocence, spirit and fun of Chris Penn's original performance. If you venture into this remake, see it for him and ignore the rest. You may find some remotely enjoyable experience buried in there somewhere.

tkitna
WTF!? You're telling me the standard montage scene in an 80's movie where the protagonist realizes/prepares for with what he has to do to be the hero and/or save the day didn't touch you and stay with you forever in Footloose?

Look again!

http://d26ya5yqg8yyvs.cloudfront.net/ImaPoser.gif
Please stop! I cant take much more.

Mr Parker
I just watched the trailer again for the first time in a long time and the acting talent again is a total joke.the guy playing ren made ma fall out of my chair hearing him talk in that country twang of his. laughing the other thing that doesnt work for this movie is from the way they are dancing in this movie,no wonder people would be up in arms about that kind of dancing.Its not the kind of thing kids should see which is the really bad thing about this film is if kids see this kind of dancing going in when they see this movie. the original film the dancing was purley innocent and it made no sense for the town to be upset about that kind of dancing they did at the end of the movie. roll eyes (sarcastic)

Mr Parker
Oh and Hough may look hot in other movies for the people who have said she is hot looking but she does NOT look hot in this movie at all.She has a good body no doubt,thats not debatable,but to be kind,she's not ugly,but I look at her in the face in the trailer in this movie,and she is not pretty at all.just plain looking,nothing special at all.Where Singer,she was smoking hot back then pretty in the face.She was VERY pretty in the face.Put a bag over Hough's face,and yeah I wouldnt kick her out of bed. laughing rolling on floor laughing laughing

RE: Blaxican

Look again!
FsCO-YkDgnY My god.

the ninjak
Magical...

laughing

Mr Parker
three more days till this monstocity of a film opens.the sooner the better.get it over with.

Robtard
Originally posted by RE: Blaxican
My god.

White people, bro. White peep-ole.

Mr. Rhythmic
White people, bro. White peep-ole.

We tend to do that every morning before breakfast.

monte17
Yeah..Its true. I haver also heard about it..!!

Mr Parker
well at least its finally here.the sooner its over with,the better.

Mr. Rhythmic
I'm watching the original again right now, and I still love it.
The acting is great, the film is 80s in an incredibly endearing sense, and the dialogue is fun and quick. What's funny is that the "main villain," Lithgow, is an incredibly sympathetic character, and the most unlikable character is his daughter. Even the town bully isn't as unlikable. She's such a cocktease of a ***** that it hurts.

Bat Dude
Footloose is a movie that epitomized the 1980's. Making a remake of Footloose is like making a remake of Breakfast Club, 16 Candles, or Revenge of the Nerds. You just can't do it without taking the charm of the movie away.

At least, that's the way I see it.

jinXed by JaNx
arent they remaking nerds? lol

Mr Parker
I'm watching the original again right now, and I still love it.
The acting is great, the film is 80s in an incredibly endearing sense, and the dialogue is fun and quick. What's funny is that the "main villain," Lithgow, is an incredibly sympathetic character, and the most unlikable character is his daughter. Even the town bully isn't as unlikable. She's such a cocktease of a ***** that it hurts.

I loaned the movie to a friend of mine who had never seen it and he really enjoyed it and i asked him if he was going to see the new one and he said-No why fix something thats not broken? yeah I agree that the town bully isnt as unlikable as Singers character and that Singers character is easily the most unlikable.
The only thing about footloose that i never liked about the movie was she was a b!tch in the movie.

she only started to like Ren AFTER he beat chuck in the tractor chickenrace.Before then,she had no interest in him.Because of that,I was thinking throughout the film-Man why does he hang out with such a stuck up b!tch like that? why does he want to have anything to do with a b!tch girl like her? he shouldnt go near her.

In that scene when he is trying to jump off the tracter but cant-you hear her saying-thats it,jump you chicken.If he had been able to jump like he wanted to,no way would she have taken to him like she did.so when she got into a fight with chuck at the end and he beat her up I was saying to myself-she deserved that,she had it coming.she really did have it coming because SHE hit him FIRST when they were having the argument.

thats why I was glad they made a play out of it making it into a musical because they fixed that problem in the play actually giving her a good valid reason to break up with him.in the play he asks her what happened to her and she says-I got into an argument with Chuck and he beat me up. a violent boyfriend that beats you up over an argument,now THAT is a good reason to break up with him. thumb up

I was so glad they fixed that mistake.

Mr Parker
this was actually posted by a moderater at another movie message board I post at.

I loved Ebert's review that said it was so close to the original that he almost re-posted his review from 1984 just to save time.

I've also read a few box office reports saying that women who grew up with the original movie really want to see this.

I was 10 in 1984. And not one of my friends who obsessed over this movie back then wants to see this. I even got a "Are they ****ing kidding me?!?!" text from my sister after one of the commercials aired last week. There's a whole thread on another forum I read (which is predominantly female) ranting about why we don't need a remake of this.

So yeah, I'll be skipping this. I already saw it in 1984, I have it on DVD, and I have the original soundtrack on my iPod. I have no need to see a do-over.

Robtard
Is there some group of late 30 to early 40 somthings obsessing over Footloose 1984?

Mr Parker
this was something that brought a smile to my face the other day.on the front page of the FYI section in the kansas city star two writers wrote this-A new "FOOTLOOSE" is out and as fans of the original we refuse to see it.Nothing sizzles like Kevins Bacon. thumb up rock

Mr. Rhythmic
B3uZlg60jJE&feature=channel_video_title

The Nuul
B3uZlg60jJE&feature=channel_video_title

Dammit.....why did I watch that..... now I want to bleach my brain.

Mr. Rhythmic
Originally posted by The Nuul
Dammit.....why did I watch that..... now I want to bleach my brain.

Sorry, I don't have any bleach in my room. Well, you could look again, but I don't think I do.

Mr Parker
this will probably be my last post on this since everybody else who doesnt want to see this movie has pretty much come on and said so and theres nothing left to talk about.what I think is so hysterical is that the remake apologists who are claiming victory saying that it was a close number one at the box office when it opened two weeks ago raking in 16 million is that thats not such an impressive opening.the original grossed over 80 million and ran in theaters for 5 or 6 months back then.

I remember it running in theaters that long.It grossed that much because positive word of mouth got out about it and thousands of movie goers took to it so they gave it REPEAT business THE following weekend and the weekends after that.I predicted that there would be a dropoff of at least 5 million last week and I pretty much hit the nail right on the head.It had a 6 million drop off grossing only 10 million.this weekend expect its weekend gross to be only 5 million.at THIS rate,it will be lucky to make HALF of what the originals gross was. laughing laughing rolling on floor laughing laughing out loud laughing

I guarantee at least half the moviegoers that saw footloose on opening weekend,half if not most,only saw it because of the NAME alone.they had heard about the movie from the original but never saw it.Now they are finding out this movie is a remake and that there was an original and they are going home and clicking on cable tv and watching it clicking on footloose in seeing the original is far better than this pathetic remake so they are doing the wise thing thing staying home and just watching it,not going back and giving it repeat business.unlike the original,postive word of mouth is obviously not getting out about this movie and unlike the original,not getting a higher grosing weekends than the previous one.priceless,I love it. laughing Happy Dance laughing out loud laughing

Darth Vicious
Wow, Out of curiosity I started watching he remake last night. When the movie started with the Footloose song I got happy for a minute thinking this movie might be something. It's something all right. Something not that good.

Poor excuses for Kevin Bacon, Chris Penn, Lori Singer etc. The barn scene, which I was looking forward the most, they botched it with the poor choice of music. That was as far I could watch.

This movie is a prime example why remakes are not always a good idea.

Mr Parker
Originally posted by Darth Vicious
Wow, Out of curiosity I started watching he remake last night. When the movie started with the Footloose song I got happy for a minute thinking this movie might be something. It's something all right. Something not that good.

Poor excuses for Kevin Bacon, Chris Penn, Lori Singer etc. The barn scene, which I was looking forward the most, they botched it with the poor choice of music. That was as far I could watch.

This movie is a prime example why remakes are not always a good idea.

I didnt know that the remake was out yet.wow I cannot believe they did not even use the song NEVER for the barn scene.How stupid can you get? That was the one thing they could have used for a positive is keep the songs they had and that was the most key exciting moment of the film was the barn scene and the song had a lot to do with it. You got bad actors playing the roles,you would think they would at LEAST try and keep the good stuff in that they COULD have kept and had control over like the original songs.sheesh.

I can tell from the trailer that the acting is pathetic so you would think they would at LEAST use what made the original great as well besides the acting,the songs from the original.

Yeah you cant replace kevin Bacon.He is the one and only true Ren Mccormick.That was easily his best role ever.Same goes for John Lithgow,nobody can act as great as he did in that role and do as great a job as he did.Bacon and Lithgow were born to play those parts.

Reviews have said that the actor playing Chris Penns part is the only actor who was decent in the remake.

Knowing they kept that great song Never out,did they even include Holding out for a Hero in that stupid chicken race with Buses? something tells me the answer is no.I could not believe it when I saw the trailer that they were going to do the chicken race with Buses.How stupid can you get? I mean,Bomont is a small town,where on earth are you going to get keys to drive a bus? and in a small town like that,everybody is going to know who it was that stold those buses. roll eyes (sarcastic)

whats sad is there are actually people out there that like this remake better than the classic original.Guess some people dont appreciate good acting and only care about good dancing. roll eyes (sarcastic) The two leads dont have any acting talent,they were chosen just because they are good dancers.

the proof is in the pudding that at least half the moviegoers who saw the original like me did not go to the theaters and see the remake.This remake did well on its opening weekend but it bombed the second weekend and had a dramatic falloff at the box office. laughing and whats really funny is is only made half the total gross the original film did and this is a day and age where ticket prices due to inflation are far more expensive. laughing

Jason Savell
I totally agree with you. There was no chemistry between these characters like the original movie. Some movies should be left alone. They said that they would never do a remake of "To Kill a Mockingbird" because they will never be able to duplicate the phenomenal acting of Gregory Peck.
Waiting to see how the remake of Red Dawn turns out when it hits theaters later this year or next year.

Mr Parker
Yeah I cant imiagine them doing a remake of To Kill A Mockinbird.But then again I could not imiagine them doing a remake of Footloose either so anythings possible with hollywood these days,they have clearly run out of ideas. another one i am pissed about is that they redid Hawaai five Oh. mad just like with kevin bacon,Jack Lord is the one and only true Steve Mcgarret,there is no other. Like I was asking him,I assume they didnt even use the song HOLDING OUT FOR A HERO during the chickenrace with buses?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.