The Hunger Games

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Barker
>2011
>Not having a Hunger Games thread already

ISHYGDDT

Anyway, the first book was great, I'm looking forward to the movie a lot. The teaser trailer debuted during the VMAs last night.

ecmP1nrPk2I

Jennifer Lawrence.. 131wank

Thoren
http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa256/Thorin_bucket/tumblr_lg7emj1jOJ1qcw2r4o1_500.gif

Robtard
Looks shit. Like a teenie-early 20's version of The Running Man and/or the several other 'fight to the death' survivor-type B films that are around.

Actress is cute though.

BruceSkywalker
something i will be looking forward to seeing.. i have not read any of the books, but will be soon

Manofwords
Not a bad series, if a little too similar to Battle Royale, the cast and crew are first rate though, so have high hopes for the movie.

Mr. Marshall
The trailer is coming out on Monday apparently. Good Morning America will premier it.

Mr. Marshall
LpWHkiq744k

Looks pretty sweet.

Kazenji
Is that it .....

meh i'll pass until a better trailer is available.

dadudemon
Originally posted by Mr. Marshall
LpWHkiq744k

Looks pretty sweet.

That trailer had really good sound. no expression

Really clean sound mix and the highs were crisp. no expression

Anyway, I will see this movie with the wife. She loved the books. I drag her to things like "Watchmen" (and she fell asleep), so I'll have to see this.

Yes, it's no a unique story at all. Characters are not unique. Themes are not unique. Hell...there is nothing original about this movie or the books. Still, it is entertaining. I read the first book. But it was too irritating to read the other 2 or 3: this is coming from the person that got through the Twilight books.

siriuswriter
I still have to read the books. So you think they were decent, Barker?

My mom's read the first one, and she's actually continuing on. Which is amazing, because after she read "Girl With a Dragon Tattoo," she was like : ew, enough. But I lurve those books, still waiting for the third to come out on paperback.

ETA : after seeing trailer.
Okay, I'm going to Barnes and Noble today. I have to read this before I see it.

Barker
Isn't that like, the old trailer? ermmnone

p-5ANq4sAL0

siriuswriter
So I watched the latest trailer, and now I've all three books coming to me in hardback in a boxed set.

*very very excited*

Patient_Leech
Those teasers were all kinds of lame. But the theatrical trailer looks kind of intriguing.

McNasty996
Watched this trailer today, will go see it.

Barker
Bump because I feel bad for not responding to siriuswriter no expression

Yes they are good. They kind of slowly get eh but the portions in the actual games are awesome.

S_D_J
Originally posted by dadudemon
That trailer had really good sound. no expression

Really clean sound mix and the highs were crisp. no expression

Anyway, I will see this movie with the wife. She loved the books. I drag her to things like "Watchmen" (and she fell asleep), so I'll have to see this.

Yes, it's no a unique story at all. Characters are not unique. Themes are not unique. Hell...there is nothing original about this movie or the books. Still, it is entertaining. I read the first book. But it was too irritating to read the other 2 or 3: this is coming from the person that got through the Twilight books.

I barely could get through the first Twilight book, found it excruciating, an exercise in boredom. I've only watched twilight for like 15 min, the editing, what I saw, was just as bad, and the dialogue, specially its delivery, horrendous.

The trailer for this movie had me excited, so much that I'm going to get the books to read them first.

I hope you're wrong with the books...

but since you liked Twilight, I rest easy big grin

siriuswriter
Originally posted by Barker
Bump because I feel bad for not responding to siriuswriter no expression

Yes they are good. They kind of slowly get eh but the portions in the actual games are awesome.

I finally got my greasy little paws on them - and I'm in the middle of the third one. I agree with the dragging pace at some points, and I think Katniss is getting whingy, or maybe I've just gotten tired of it coming from her so I had to put Mockingjay to rest for a while.

And I figured out that the four notes in the trailer when they show the mockingjay symbol with the arrow is very most probably Rue's four notes that she sings to let District 11 know their work day is done, and also the four note pattern that means "the arena is safe."

I'm really anxious how see the costumes as described in the books, the ones designed by Cinna, because they were incredibly symbolic, and the flaming ones were what brought the Capitol's eyes on them at first.

I need this to come out.

Leo.M
I'm excited to see the hunger games. Definitely recommend the books to anyone.

swill388
Thanks to all for the videos. that they have added on this thread.

Kazenji
Looks like this will be bigger and better then Twilight.

Placidity
Trailer looked crap. I didn't even know about the books before I saw the trailer.

Apparently this is another one of those lame teen phenomenons like Twilight.

Kazenji
Originally posted by Placidity
Trailer looked crap. I didn't even know about the books before I saw the trailer.

Apparently this is another one of those lame teen phenomenons like Twilight.

I've read the first Australian review for the movie does'nt seem like its lame going by it.

RE: Blaxican

Apparently this is another one of those lame teen phenomenons like Twilight. According to ignorant mother****ers who have no idea what the plot is? Probably.

But then, to ignorant mother****ers, anything that has teenagers in it is a "teen phenomenon like Twilight".

I agree that the trailers suck dick though. I've read the books and was still underwhelmed by the trailers.

Placidity
Originally posted by RE: Blaxican

But then, to ignorant mother****ers, anything that has teenagers in it is a "teen phenomenon like Twilight".

Actually "Teen Phenomenon like Twilight" doesn't mean "anything that has teenagers in it". If that were true, almost every single movie would be described as such - and it is not. So a lesson be learnt - motherfckers shouldn't strawman.

Continuing on, Teen Phenomenon can be described as teenagers (usually female or homosexual) getting all hyped up and literally insane over a movie franchise. The juvenile infatuation is difficult to explain and its effect can be felt universally. The celebrities that portray the characters are also worshiped and idolized by said teenagers as gods. If such teens were ever to be graced by their presence, their mere proximity is enough to induce hysteria or psychological trauma usually accompanied by incessant tears and loud wailing. Although it is termed Teen Phenomenon, it can mutate and be transmitted to adults who are susceptible (recent example being Twimoms). While it is not known when the first incidence of this disease was observed, scientists agree it is most evident during the Twilight Saga in modern times. Experts also agree that the incidence rate is rapidly increasing. It only needs a vehicle for it to manifest itself. With that said, The Hunger Games appears to have the characteristics of being such a vehicle. Psychologists all share growing concerns for the future of the next generations.

siriuswriter
Apparently, British theatres are cutting about seven seconds of gore so that they can rate the movie 12A.

Dude, there are kids in the movie being viciously, and Rue is..... DING DING DING! Twelve. Everyone remember how SHE died?

Most of the point of this movie IS the gore. Because the little bittie teenagers are being made to kill each other off.

This is what I feel like when I see moms taking their three year olds to Harry Potter's 4-7.

Actually "Teen Phenomenon like Twilight" doesn't mean "anything that has teenagers in it". Glad you agree with me. Anyone who isn't an ignorant mother****er can see that having sparkly teenagers doesn't = teen phenomenon like Twilight". Only an ignorant mother****er would think that.

Anyway, "strawman", lul. There's no argument here to be straw-manned.

Sounds like typical European film critique. They freak out over everything violent, just look at Germany and Australia and their punk ***** video game rating system.

Comparatively, sex is kind of our #1 deadly sin for movies.

Kazenji

Sounds like typical European film critique. They freak out over everything violent, just look at Germany and Australia and their punk ***** video game rating system.

Germany is alot worst then Australia

Gears Of War is banned there from what i read.

Robtard

Continuing on, Teen Phenomenon can be described as teenagers (usually female or homosexual) getting all hyped up and literally insane over a movie franchise. The juvenile infatuation is difficult to explain and its effect can be felt universally. The celebrities that portray the characters are also worshiped and idolized by said teenagers as gods. If such teens were ever to be graced by their presence, their mere proximity is enough to induce hysteria or psychological trauma usually accompanied by incessant tears and loud wailing. Although it is termed Teen Phenomenon, it can mutate and be transmitted to adults who are susceptible (recent example being Twimoms). While it is not known when the first incidence of this disease was observed, scientists agree it is most evident during the Twilight Saga in modern times. Experts also agree that the incidence rate is rapidly increasing. It only needs a vehicle for it to manifest itself. With that said, The Hunger Games appears to have the characteristics of being such a vehicle. Psychologists all share growing concerns for the future of the next generations.

You hit that right on the head.

While waiting to get a haircut, read a "People" magazine which featured this film, pretty much rabid idolization of the main actress and to a lessor degree that short kid and Thor's little brother. Pics of teen girls crying cos the actress was talking and answering questions. Some had sleep 2 days in the street to get in.

ares834
I never read the books but saw the midnight premiere with my younger brother and a friend who have... A surprisingly good movie and absolutely nothing like Twilight.

0mega Spawn
Originally posted by Robtard
Looks shit. Like a teenie-early 20's version of The Running Man and/or the several other 'fight to the death' survivor-type B films that are around.

Actress is cute though.

the ninjak

Actress is cute though.

I remember a bunch a handful of years back when I heard they were going to make a Hollywood version of Battle Royale. I was excited but I heard there were problems. Not long later this book came out and now the movie.

I still prefer Battle Royale.

Barker
Saw it at midnight and it was great. Anyone who says otherwise is unamerican or trying to be edgy.

Yah saw it today. Was really good.

I can see certain people disliking it though. The movie is anathema to people with bad taste.

Robtard
Originally posted by the ninjak
I remember a bunch a handful of years back when I heard they were going to make a Hollywood version of Battle Royale. I was excited but I heard there were problems. Not long later this book came out and now the movie.

I still prefer Battle Royale.

It's definitely not an original story, but that doesn't mean it can't be good on that merit alone.

The previews make it look like teenie-crap though.

The previews are terrrrible. I don't know what they were thinking when they made them.

I'm with Jaden on that subject though. I haven't seen a single good trailer this years, sans maybe one for The Avengers.

Robtard
The previews are terrrrible. I don't know what they were thinking when they made them.

Pretty much tells the story in 2mins, there's some death "game" kids are forced to compete in, little sister gets picked, big sister takes her place to save her, big sister is trained and already skilled with a bow. I'm going to take a wild guess and say the big sister doesn't die.

The protagonist dies in less than 1/10 movies. That's just a given. lol

But yes, that explains the first... two chapters of the book yah, and the overall premise.

But like you said, it makes it look like some teenie bopper-esque bullshit, when in reality it's almost a bit of an anti-thesis to what Twilight is.

In the first book, anyway. Haven't read the latter two books but I've heard the third one is kind of horrible.

Robtard
I'll probably be watching it tomorrow, which means I'll probably be thinking you're a lemming dickhead for building it up for me; like it's worth the watch.

I have no idea what lemming is.

Anyway, if you dislike it it's because you're a frumpy old man and hate good things that young people like.

Esau Cairn
I saw it yesterday...although I found the movie entertaining (not having read the books) I did walk away feeling it was nothing special.

The movie didn't sell me on the notion of why the "Hunger Games" came into existence as a means to abolish war.

I mean watching children & teenagers brutally kill eachother in the scenario of "reality tv" is surely more heinous than war?

I also found the use of "shakey cam" for some of the outdoor scenes to be a waste & hardly of any value to establish the mood.

Was it just me OR did anyone else see the fly buzzing around in some scenes?

There was about 4 or 5 close-up shots of the characters talking to eachother & there was this fly buzzing around their heads...now in real life, one would react & wave the fly away but as they were actors acting, they completely ignored it & unfortunately for me that just reinforced the fact that they were just simply acting.

Oh well.

Peach
It's not a way to abolish war, where did you get that idea? It's a way to punish the Districts for rising against the Capitol in the first place.

I enjoyed the movie a lot. Stuck close to the book, and while the violence was toned down it wasn't done in a way where it was obvious they were toning it down, if that makes sense.

Esau Cairn
Originally posted by Peach
It's not a way to abolish war, where did you get that idea? It's a way to punish the Districts for rising against the Capitol in the first place.

I got that impression from that film they showed before picking the names.
Footage of war & the voice-over saying how it took away everyone's sons, brothers,fathers, husbands...

Peach
Yeah, you missed the message there, then, as well as not paying attention to the very start, where they talk about the war between the Districts and the Capitol, and how the Hunger Games started as a way to punish the Districts for rising against the Capitol and remind them that they are under the complete control of the Capitol.

BruceSkywalker
saw this earlier.. I loved it.. felt it was very well done as well as well acted..

will be reading the novels starting tonight..

bring on Catching Fire

wakkawakkawakka
I just saw this movie and I enjoyed myself. Dont know anything about the books but I still enjoyed it.

Robtard
Just watched it; was very boring, nothing stood out and/or or was good, script, acting, dialogue, boring.

At best, some parts where mildly amusing, at worst, some parts where Twilight-level bad (eg knife-girl's acting).

Called it. Frumpy old man ^

Robtard
Called it. Frumpy old man ^

You're just going to have to deal that it was mostly a boring movie with little going for it. You got caught up in the glamor, happens.

You're just going to have to deal that it was mostly a boring movie with little going for it. You got caught up in the glamor, happens. umDr0mPuyQc

zeel

Actress is cute though.

its like the twilight series its designed to attract the teenie boppers. THus the same kids will go to the same movie over and over and over and over and over again.

siriuswriter
DUUUDES.

I have read ONE Twilight Book ONE time.

I have read The Hunger Games Trilogy >five times already, and I just got them a couple of months ago.

There's actually a politcal message in The Hunger Games.

No sparkling is going to be allowed anywhere near this film, unless the character is a Capitol Member and can dye their skin wintergreen green - with sparkles.

No convenience is allowed. No kindness is allowed. No hope is allowed. All good intentions lead to hell, no good deed goes unpunished. This is the difference between Life and Death or Really Bad Mortal Wounding.

Twenty four twelve-eighteen year olds go in. ONE KID COMES OUT.

THIS IS NOT TWILIGHT.

Placidity
Originally posted by siriuswriter

THIS IS NOT TWILIGHT.

That was very informative. Tell me moar.

Robtard
No convenience is allowed.

No kindness is allowed.

No hope is allowed.

All good intentions lead to hell, no good deed goes unpunished.

This is the difference between Life and Death or Really Bad Mortal Wounding.

THIS IS NOT TWILIGHT.

Except when there where.

Except when people showed kindness.

Except there was from the very start.

Except they don't.

Huh?

Except it didn't.

Correct, it's not nearly as bad, Twilight is painful to watch, this one bores you overall.

wakkawakkawakka
I'm not sure it was that boring but everyone has their own sense of taste.

I still enjoyed it and stand by this decision of mine.

Esau Cairn
And this thread kinda dies after 3 pages...

Says alot about the movie.

srankmissingnin

I enjoyed the movie a lot. Stuck close to the book, and while the violence was toned down it wasn't done in a way where it was obvious they were toning it down, if that makes sense.

I can't say how it is presented in the books because as a rule I don't read anything told in the first person narrative, but I'm pretty sure the narrative in the movie flat out states that the Hunger Games were derived as a way to unite the districts and abolish war. That being said you should take those words with a grain of salt because they were in the propaganda film they showed while selecting the contestants, but it was in the film all the same.

Nice to see a legitimate success in the impotent North American box office, even if I'm not sure this movie entirely deserves it.

WhiteWitchKing
DUUUDES.

I have read ONE Twilight Book ONE time.

I have read The Hunger Games Trilogy >five times already, and I just got them a couple of months ago.

There's actually a politcal message in The Hunger Games.

No sparkling is going to be allowed anywhere near this film, unless the character is a Capitol Member and can dye their skin wintergreen green - with sparkles.

No convenience is allowed. No kindness is allowed. No hope is allowed. All good intentions lead to hell, no good deed goes unpunished. This is the difference between Life and Death or Really Bad Mortal Wounding.

THIS IS NOT TWILIGHT.

Lol, two kids came out alive...just like Battle Royale.

Saw this movie on Sunday, it was alright. Nothing special really. Maybe the kids it was made for thought it was something. The Hunger Games is basically Battle Royale for girls (and children...oh and stay at home moms).

Aside from the lead characters, most of the other contestants got little character development. Some of them were apparent training for a long time and yet gave up after two arrow shots. WTH? Instead of taking their time to shoot at her, they decide to wait it out. Didn't try to smoke her down or burn down that tree. Further misstep included sleeping without anyone guarding. This character induced stupid is luckily matched by Peeta's CIS of not killing them all in their sleep. All this CIS just so Katniss would look good. Almost everybody was incompetent. But hey, it was written for kids. My bad for giving it a chance thinking it was well thought out.

Also, it looked like the circus came to the Capitol and gave them some fashion advice. I guess the 1% likes to dress up in fruit loops designs, who knew?

One more thing, Peeta was useless.

wakkawakkawakka
I still though it was enjoyable overall but I'll admit it wasn't the best thing ever.

The tree scene was very annoying to me. I mean c'mon one of the chicks even had a bow. On top of that, how come nobody decided to just shoot Katniss while she was sleeping along with the Peeta thing you brought up. Well making a female lead look good by making everyone else look incompetent isn't to out of the ordinary.

Some people like me enjoyed the movie, others didn't. However I know for a fact I'm not reading any of the books. BTW what's "Battle Royale"?

ADarksideJedi
I read the book which was ok but still have yet to see the movie which I do want too.I am however not plannng to read the next two books so I guess I will see those movies as well when they come out!

siriuswriter
I've read all the books numerous times. I think it's always better to read the book before you see the movie, that way when they don't explain things clearly, you can fill in the chunks with your book knowledge.

I remember when HP and the Goblet of Fire came out, every thing was skimmed over and both of my film companions hadn't read the book, so we had to get together afterward so I could go over the book and tell them what was missing.

Esau Cairn
Originally posted by wakkawakkawakka

BTW what's "Battle Royale"?

It's a cult Japanese film made in 2000.
The director, Kinji Fukasaku is renowned for his violence in his films akin to Eastwood's spaghetti westerns.

The movie's about "Battle Royale", a government Act that forces 9th grade students to battle themselves (on an isolated island under military watch) until one is left alive.
The premise is to teach unruly children respect for adults & the law.

WhiteWitchKing
I still though it was enjoyable overall but I'll admit it wasn't the best thing ever.

The tree scene was very annoying to me. I mean c'mon one of the chicks even had a bow. On top of that, how come nobody decided to just shoot Katniss while she was sleeping along with the Peeta thing you brought up. Well making a female lead look good by making everyone else look incompetent isn't to out of the ordinary.

Some people like me enjoyed the movie, others didn't. However I know for a fact I'm not reading any of the books. BTW what's "Battle Royale"?

That's the Battle Royale.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-T7yPJVvXw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIuRjqcpuGQ

wakkawakkawakka
Originally posted by Esau Cairn
It's a cult Japanese film made in 2000.
The director, Kinji Fukasaku is renowned for his violence in his films akin to Eastwood's spaghetti westerns.

The movie's about "Battle Royale", a government Act that forces 9th grade students to battle themselves (on an isolated island under military watch) until one is left alive.
The premise is to teach unruly children respect for adults & the law. Originally posted by WhiteWitchKing
That's the Battle Royale.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-T7yPJVvXw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIuRjqcpuGQ

Thanks! Now I kind of understand why Robtard and folks gave this lackluster reviews. I will say that watching BR now will be a bit of a challenge considering it's a tad dated. But I'm giving it a shot.

astarisborn94
Hmm, looks interesting. It's getting good reviews and the concept is interesting. I may see it in theaters and if not, will at least try to watch it on DVD/Blu-Ray.

Thoren
I saw it yesterday, it was good.

mattjohn
I never thought that the games in Battle Royale were presented as anything but that: a game. Entertainment for the masses. In the book, classes are selected like once a month to participate in the Battle Royale and every kid knows about it and what it means. In the movie, it seems like a yearly thing and the kids are definitely more surprised when they're selected, but the video footage from the previous year shows the little girl who "won".

maham
I don't get the hype surrounding it. can anyone please give a summary of the plot. Someone who has read the book...

siriuswriter
I've read the book, and I've also seen the film. If you have any specific questions, you can PM me, maham.

siriuswriter
Sorry for double posting, I didn't have time for my short review earlier.

I rate The Hunger Games 3/5, and that's because I read the books, so could fill in the gaps so I don't know how confused people are who haven't read the books.

Turning a first-person book into an ensemble film reeaallly doesn't work very well.

Positive - Setting/Authenticity to Setting.
They did the Capitol very well, it was exactly like "The Wizard of Oz," coming from very dreary District 12 to the colorful, zany world of the Capitol.

Positive - Music.
This is more of a neutral, but there was some good music in there.

Positive -Direction
Except for the night rising early and the crazy shot-shot-shot-shot on top of the Cornucopia. I liked that style when the first twelve kids were picked off, it was a study in deadliness.

Negative - Performances.
This goes back to the book being first person. How were we supposed to know what they were thinking about when they're trying to stay quiet for the other players, vague for the camera, and holding in emotion for each other?

Negative - Plot
What - when? How - why? Again, it helped that I read the books.

So there we go. 3/5

Esau Cairn
Is it just me OR did anyone else notice the fly?!?

siriuswriter
You'll have to be a bit more descriptive, like, when did it turn up?

Esau Cairn
The build-up to the actual games when Caesar Flickerman (host) is interviewing Katnis....there's a close up shot of Flickerman & there's a fly buzzing around him. Then in another close-up of Katnis, the same fly is buzzing around her.

I just found it funny becos in real life, one would wave/shoo the fly away but becos they were actors acting, they deliberately ignored it & that kinda conveyed to me that they were actors & not characters in a story.

More likely the fly was left in there intentionally. It would have been extremely easy to simply CGI the fly out of existence, if it was breaking the suspension of disbelief for people.

Esau Cairn
A fly in the Capitol...that's just sheer nonsense!

Yeah extremely easy to edit out but then again another scene "boo boo" is the latest Mission Impossible where you actually see the reflection of the helicopter film crew on the windows of the building in Dubai.

maham
I'd like a little summary,leaving the spoilers (obviously).Since I have no idea whatsoever about the story there's no specific question to ask. It seems like a parallel universe story....like Harry Potter or Lord of the Rings...

Kazenji
Thanks! Now I kind of understand why Robtard and folks gave this lackluster reviews. I will say that watching BR now will be a bit of a challenge considering it's a tad dated. But I'm giving it a shot.

Tad dated??

its only 12 years old not a 50 year old movie erm

siriuswriter
Originally posted by maham
I'd like a little summary,leaving the spoilers (obviously).Since I have no idea whatsoever about the story there's no specific question to ask. It seems like a parallel universe story....like Harry Potter or Lord of the Rings...

Okay I'll give it a whirl.

It's post-apocalyptic/WWIII, and the government reigns over the Twelve Districts of a place called Panem
Since all the rebels live in the twelve districts, to keep punishing them for the rebellion, every year the Capitol takes a boy and a girl from the ages of 12-18 to participate in the annual Hunger Games, a rite where the 24 "tributes," as the chosen children are called, are set loose in an unknown environment until one winner comes out. The winner is then given wealth and prosperity, which The Capitol says represents "the forgiveness" of the Capitol at the end of the war - saying that instead of killing everybody, the Capitol only governs the districts.

Jennifer Lawrence plays Katniss Everdeen, who is the girl tribute for District 12.
Josh Hutcherson plays Peeta Mallark, who is the boy tribute for District 12.
Woody Harrelson plays Haymitch Abernathy, who is the mentor for the two tributes. He's also a drunk.
Lenny Kravitz plays Cinna, a kind and sympathetic friend for Katniss, who also is the designer for the two tributes.

Rated PG-13 for violence. .

@EsauCairn - I thought that was a spy fly or camera fly...

maham
Okay I'll give it a whirl.

It's post-apocalyptic/WWIII, and the government reigns over the Twelve Districts of a place called Panem
Since all the rebels live in the twelve districts, to keep punishing them for the rebellion, every year the Capitol takes a boy and a girl from the ages of 12-18 to participate in the annual Hunger Games, a rite where the 24 "tributes," as the chosen children are called, are set loose in an unknown environment until one winner comes out. The winner is then given wealth and prosperity, which The Capitol says represents "the forgiveness" of the Capitol at the end of the war - saying that instead of killing everybody, the Capitol only governs the districts.

Jennifer Lawrence plays Katniss Everdeen, who is the girl tribute for District 12.
Josh Hutcherson plays Peeta Mallark, who is the boy tribute for District 12.
Woody Harrelson plays Haymitch Abernathy, who is the mentor for the two tributes. He's also a drunk.
Lenny Kravitz plays Cinna, a kind and sympathetic friend for Katniss, who also is the designer for the two tributes.

Rated PG-13 for violence. .

@EsauCairn - I thought that was a spy fly or camera fly...
Thanks!!! big grin

Tex
The movie was great, I saw it a couple weeks ago, very well acted and directed. The editing could've used some polishing, and some of the special effects were lacking, but it was very good indeed.

I've since read the entire Trilogy and am very excited for the new movies.
The final book in the trilogy will make a great movie.

the ninjak
http://i977.photobucket.com/albums/ae259/the_ninjak/koma-comic-strip-kids-fighting-each-other-how-original.jpg

Patient_Leech
Originally posted by the ninjak
http://i977.photobucket.com/albums/ae259/the_ninjak/koma-comic-strip-kids-fighting-each-other-how-original.jpg

laughing

janus77

jonydec
How excellent of a designer are you on a range of 1-10? 7

Examples of work: Designed a empty sculpture of two individuals and an subterranean house.

Have you study the book/seen the film?: I have study all of the guides and haven't seen the movie

How a while can you commit per day?: time.

Chef Mikey
Jennifer Lawrence is hot!

kingerking8
The Game is Really Rock...

scubavike
What did you think of the Hunger Games? I thought it was well filmed, but I have heard a lot of negative comments as well.

Patient_Leech
I saw this the other night. It was entertaining, but predictable at times. And perhaps some of it makes more sense if you read the book, but I'll probably pass. It's definitely Battle Royale with cheese, but it's pretty well acted. But my god, the cinematography is horrible. Shaky-cam like crazy. I honestly might have walked out of it on that gripe alone, but the story is fairly compelling.

damsel-distress
This movie deserves to be the best movie in 2012, the cast really did a great performance, what a shame they change another director for Catching Fire.

Syren
Yeah, you missed the message there, then, as well as not paying attention to the very start, where they talk about the war between the Districts and the Capitol, and how the Hunger Games started as a way to punish the Districts for rising against the Capitol and remind them that they are under the complete control of the Capitol.

I love you. You always say just what I want to say but can never find the right words. I tend to just "squeeeeeeeee...." at the screen, then see your comment, then calm down laughing out loud

roughrider
Finally saw it tonight. And my early impression of it from last spring was true - it's a heavily sanitized version of Battle Royale. Plus the directing talent of Gary Ross is very middle of the road, and lots of the CGI is dodgy.

Battle Royale also succeeds because it's a vicious black comedy about high school allegiances. But The Hunger Games wants to play it completely straight and be a serious look at a dystopia; it only halfway succeeds. I couldn't fully buy the entire premise behind this. If it's trying to satirize reality TV, it doesn't fully work doing that either.

maham
Haven't watched battle royale so can't compare the two, but I liked it. Listening to the audio book nowadays. Not that impressive, but a good pass time nonetheless. Too american imo.

roughrider
Originally posted by maham
Haven't watched battle royale so can't compare the two, but I liked it. Listening to the audio book nowadays. Not that impressive, but a good pass time nonetheless. Too american imo.

It is very American in one sense, in that it will appeal to the gun packing, NRA supporting, ultra right wing conspiracy types who will view it as a critique of highly centralized government controlling their lives from afar in a distant capitol. And what will happen if they let that ruling elite in the capitol just keep 'taking away their rights', blah blah blah.

siriuswriter
maham - you MUST watch Battle Royale. It just MAKES this genre.

roughrider - it will get worse if they film them all. District 13 is actually a grand underdome-type place and their job in the sections was nuclear weapons. The Capital has supposedly destroyed it because of the threat.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.