The Tower of Babel

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Fortitude
No, really. How do you justify this story? It makes no f-ing sense at all. Basically:

1. Back then, we were all one civilization and spoke the same language. (false)

2. We were planning to build a huge tower that would reach the heavens (impossible with bronze age tech, even more impossible since all but the most crazy fundies would admit that heaven is not in the clouds)

3. God got angry with this. (why? a challenge to his power? He's all powerful! Us getting too arrogant? We're working together to accomplish something, and he didn't shoot down Apollo!)

4. So he decided to knock the tower down and changed all of our languages. (why? Surely he wasn't afraid of a bronze age civilization, was he? And doesn't this interfere with our free will, that is, changing our minds so we forget our language and magically speak another, something so important God felt that making us perfect was not worth giving up our free will?)

King Kandy
One more dumb story. Its no wonder gnostics believed the old testament god was a fraud, with these actions.

Lucius
It was all Enki's nam-shub.

Lord Lucien
Originally posted by Fortitude
No, really. How do you justify this story? It makes no f-ing sense at all. It's a Genesis story, of course it makes no sense.

Digi
How do you justify this story? It makes no f-ing sense at all.

Simple, actually.

1. It's metaphor for the folly of trying to aspire to Godhood, not a literal story.

or

2. It really happened exactly like that, and you live in a community that is insulated almost entirely from other styles of thought, so there is nothing to usurp the belief.

or

3. You were raised a Christian and believe, but eventually realized that a lot of the Bible stuff was screwy. So you ignore what you don't like and retain the central belief in God, because it's much easier to justify than insanely implausible stories.

Pick one, then rinse and repeat for lots of Biblical stories.

I hope you have become enlightened by this, and will one day accept Jesus into your life. Until then, accept my ban.

Godspeed.

RE: Blaxican
Digi wtf. laughcry

theICONiac
Originally posted by Digi

Pick one, then rinse and repeat for lots of Biblical stories.

I hope you have become enlightened by this, and will one day accept Jesus into your life. Until then, accept my ban.

Godspeed.

I promise to never question the bible.

Ever.

confused

Robtard
No, really. How do you justify this story? It makes no f-ing sense at all. Basically:

2. We were planning to build a huge tower that would reach the heavens (impossible with bronze age tech, even more impossible since all but the most crazy fundies would admit that heaven is not in the clouds)

3. God got angry with this. (why? a challenge to his power? He's all powerful! Us getting too arrogant? We're working together to accomplish something, and he didn't shoot down Apollo!)

4. So he decided to knock the tower down and changed all of our languages. (why? Surely he wasn't afraid of a bronze age civilization, was he? And doesn't this interfere with our free will, that is, changing our minds so we forget our language and magically speak another, something so important God felt that making us perfect was not worth giving up our free will?)

Dude, you got it completely wrong. It's about Batman having files on how to take out the Justice League members and Ra's al Ghul getting his hands on them.

No wonder you were banned, you don't know sh!t.

Digi
Originally posted by theICONiac
I promise to never question the bible.

Ever.

confused

My work here is done.

no expression

Harbinger
Originally posted by Digi

Godspeed. http://www.gifbin.com/bin/052009/reverse-1243271414_black_guy_laughing.gif

Shakyamunison

However, it was a good story, and it was very popular. Kind of a number one hit of it's day. The problem is not with the story, but with people who believe in the bible literally. The bible has a lot of good stories, but no one should ever take them literally.

Deja~vu
Many of those stories are just metaphors and nothing more.

socool8520
Originally posted by Deja~vu
Many of those stories are just metaphors and nothing more.

Who stated this? Was it ever written that these were not to be taken literally?

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by socool8520
Who stated this? Was it ever written that these were not to be taken literally?

If you had been at the library in Alexandria before it burned to the ground, you would have found the scroll for the story under fiction. laughing out loud

socool8520
Originally posted by Shakyamunison
If you had been at the library in Alexandria before it burned to the ground, you would have found the scroll for the story under fiction. laughing out loud

Ohhhhh....That's where it was.

But seriously, although logically they can be looked at as moral fictional stories, I don't remember the writers saying anything about these stories being anything but factual.

Shakyamunison
Ohhhhh....That's where it was.

But seriously, although logically they can be looked at as moral fictional stories, I don't remember the writers saying anything about these stories being anything but factual.

It was ether obvious at the time, or they were just as delusional back then as we are today.

socool8520
Originally posted by Shakyamunison
It was ether obvious at the time, or they were just as delusional back then as we are today.

I would think the latter. Also, people believe the Jesus miracles were true and yet think these stories to be fables. How are these stories any less plausible than rising back from the dead?

Shakyamunison
I would think the latter. Also, people believe the Jesus miracles were true and yet think these stories to be fables. How are these stories any less plausible than rising back from the dead?

The accounts of Jesus were written, at the earliest, 60 to 80 years after he died. Just think about how long it takes for consistency theories to over come the truth today. 60 years is a long time of story telling and slight changes to build up into a supper hero story.

socool8520
True. It justs seems hypocritical to think of these stories as fallacy and yet think that the exploits of Jesus are completely plausible.

Shakyamunison
True. It justs seems hypocritical to think of these stories as fallacy and yet think that the exploits of Jesus are completely plausible.

You have no argument from me.

I used to believe that way. The reason has more to do with family then logic. If you don't believe like everyone else, then you become an outcast.

socool8520
Valid point. I just stick to the belief that they are both just stories.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.