Simbon's Broken Science Tourney

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Simbon

psycho gundam
constructs/summons should be limited a lot more this go around, and mind control should be simply eradicated. craziness gets severely stunted if you do that

again, i'm down

Bentley
Also, no instant tech, tight rules about the place in which they prep would be fine. Can we draft magicians or seudo magicians as scientists?

Simbon
Originally posted by psycho gundam
constructs/summons should be limited a lot more this go around, and mind control should be simply eradicated. craziness gets severely stunted if you do that

again, i'm down

Yeah, I think you are right about the mind-control -- very few scientists are going to have an answer for that.

What are you thinking on constructs/summons? Stronger limits on numbers or on power level? I wanted to leave room for the giant-robot/monster-building types, and I don't think there are too many science-based summoners like Zarrko.

Simbon
Originally posted by Bentley
Also, no instant tech, tight rules about the place in which they prep would be fine. Can we draft magicians or seudo magicians as scientists?

Instant tech?

I would say no straight-up magicians unless they double as scientists (Doom is fine). In some cases, the distinction is blurrier, though. Like I said, I would be cool with someone like the Accomplished Perfect Physician, as he seems to have discovered his magical powers scientifically. Alchemist-types could also be admitted, arguably. No Strange or Mordo-type wizards, though.

psycho gundam
Originally posted by Simbon
Yeah, I think you are right about the mind-control -- very few scientists are going to have an answer for that.

What are you thinking on constructs/summons? Stronger limits on numbers or on power level? I wanted to leave room for the giant-robot/monster-building types, and I don't think there are too many science-based summoners like Zarrko. heavily limit minions/summons cause it goes into the absurd when we get to have an army for free at this level of competition. the judges might have just been intimidated by the last tournament, and those matches got hundreds of views

Bentley
Instant tech?

I would say no straight-up magicians unless they double as scientists (Doom is fine). In some cases, the distinction is blurrier, though. Like I said, I would be cool with someone like the Accomplished Perfect Physician, as he seems to have discovered his magical powers scientifically. Alchemist-types could also be admitted, arguably. No Strange or Mordo-type wizards, though.

Instant tech is the ability to assemble a complex machine in a matter of seconds just by knowing its specifications.

Doom is already absurdly good in this tourney, but then he also gets magic?

Imo magic should be either a) banned entirely, b) limited to science like constructs, such as building a magical artifact or a golem-like creature or c) entirely allowed.

Simbon
Originally posted by psycho gundam
heavily limit minions/summons cause it goes into the absurd when we get to have an army for free at this level of competition. the judges might have just been intimidated by the last tournament, and those matches got hundreds of views

OK, I will put some numbers restrictions on the summons then.

Simbon
Instant tech is the ability to assemble a complex machine in a matter of seconds just by knowing its specifications.

Doom is already absurdly good in this tourney, but then he also gets magic?

Imo magic should be either a) banned entirely, b) limited to science like constructs, such as building a magical artifact or a golem-like creature or c) entirely allowed.

I see what you mean. OK, no instant tech.

Doom may be unusual in having access to magic in addition to his tech, but there are many other possible choices with extra powers as well. Magneto and Apocalypse would both be draftable in this tournament, for instance. I want people to have a wide array of strategies available to them.

I realize Doom will be an obvious choice, that was why I wanted to use the previously drafted and 1-low herald stipulations -- unfortunately it seems that the search function doesn't work very well, and there are a lot of characters that I wouldn't want to penalize who have been drafted previously. The main idea was to discourage people for going after really obvious power-houses like Doom and Kang, while rewarding them for choices like Egghead, Mad Thinker, etc. What I may do is say that only characters who have been drafted more than once cause loss of prep time -- that way people could still draft folks like T.O. Morrow, Brainiac 5, etc.

Bentley
But then again, not allowing Strange to prep with magic and allowing a prep powerhouse such as Mother of Champions because one ability is magic and the other is just metahuman, seems to me like a bit bias in how we deal with prep. If prep is supposed to be about science, let scientist deal with prep, or let everyone use any kind of prep. We can ban individual characters if it comes to that, but I feel the limitation is too loosely defined.

Simbon
But then again, not allowing Strange to prep with magic and allowing a prep powerhouse such as Mother of Champions because one ability is magic and the other is just metahuman, seems to me like a bit bias in how we deal with prep. If prep is supposed to be about science, let scientist deal with prep, or let everyone use any kind of prep. We can ban individual characters if it comes to that, but I feel the limitation is too loosely defined.

Was Mother of Champions a scientist? I didn't remember that.

I don't see it as an arbitrary bias: Magic is so much faster than science that I think it would definitely skew things if it were allowed across the board. A character like Kang has the ability to pull off prep very quickly, too, of course (I guess people who have an established history of summoning technology would still be allowed instant tech), but for the most part scientists are not anywhere near as fast as magic-users. In the case of Doom it is something that one can pull in because he is a scientist, in the same way one could pull in Magneto's mutant abilities -- if someone thinks they can win by choosing a team with the best non-scientific powers, that is one possible strategy.

Bentley
The problem is that not many meta powers give you the kind of prep advantage against science that magic can bring in, and not many scientists are going to be able to seize that ability. I guess it would make sense to me to have tech-related prep and a lesser amount of not-tech related tech, just to keep the tournament's flavor.

But it doesn't matter, every tournament devolves into a look-for-loops competition sooner or later.

Doctor Strange is a doctor and medicine is science shifty

Simbon
The problem is that not many meta powers give you the kind of prep advantage against science that magic can bring in, and not many scientists are going to be able to seize that ability. I guess it would make sense to me to have tech-related prep and a lesser amount of not-tech related tech, just to keep the tournament's flavor.

But it doesn't matter, every tournament devolves into a look-for-loops competition sooner or later.

Doctor Strange is a doctor and medicine is science shifty

Well, I think Doom is the only real problem character here, and anyone who picks him is foregoing six days worth of prep anyway, so hopefully that will even things out.

Bentley
I bet I can find two other problematic characters before the drafts start eek!

Digi
Sim, have you read my guide for tourney hosts? Seems like you probably did, but if not, it's worth a look.

Parmaniac
http://www.killermovies.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=540708

I think this could come handy in this tourny smile

I'm going to add more in the next 1 or 2 weeks

Simbon
Originally posted by Digi
Sim, have you read my guide for tourney hosts? Seems like you probably did, but if not, it's worth a look.

I looked at them a while ago, but will read them again before drafting final rules. I think you may be right about just creating a penalty list.

What do folks think of the following list?

Apocalypse
Dr. Doom
Kang
Magneto
Tony Stark

These are the ones I've seen used repeatedly, though I'm probably missing some major ones. Any recommended additions for the penalty box?

Simbon
Originally posted by Parmaniac
http://www.killermovies.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=540708

I think this could come handy in this tourny smile

I'm going to add more in the next 1 or 2 weeks

That's a really cool thread, Parmaniac. Are you interested in participating in the tourney? It could really use some more folks, otherwise it's just going to be Bentley vs PG.

Digi
I'm always down as a judge if it gets off the ground. Just PM me the when and wheres at the relevant times.

Parmaniac
That's a really cool thread, Parmaniac. Are you interested in participating in the tourney? It could really use some more folks, otherwise it's just going to be Bentley vs PG. Sorry I don't really have time in the next weeks (maybe even months) to search comics for tourny quality stuff neither for writing out long posts with startegies, I'm glad that I can keep up with reading comics. Maybe you should freeze your tourney and wait till more people have time.

Red_Sun2
Can I join?

Digi
Originally posted by Red_Sun2
Can I join?

I don't think this ever happened, and the thread is over a year old. Check out the title belt thread if you're interested. Maybe you can get in on one of the tier belt matches.

Red_Sun2
Originally posted by Digi
I don't think this ever happened, and the thread is over a year old. Check out the title belt thread if you're interested. Maybe you can get in on one of the tier belt matches.

Oops, sorry for bumping this then.

I will check out the tier matches.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.