Thor and Surfer run the growing GL Gauntlet

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

SumOfAllFear
1 Guy Gardner
2 Guy Gardner and John Stewart
3 Guy Gardner and John Stewart and Kyle Rayner
4 Guy Gardner and John Stewart and Kyle Rayner and Hal Jordan
5 Guy Gardner/John Stewart/Kyle Rayner/Hal Jordan/ Alan Scott
6 Guy Gardner/John Stewart/Kyle Rayner/Hal Jordan/Alan Scott/ Sinestro

Fight on mars

how far do Thor and Surfer get?

vansonbee
Clears it

Cogito
Stops at 4.

Alan solos if they managed to get to 5.

Bentley
You jokers. They stop dead at 3.

JakeTheBank
Originally posted by vansonbee
Clears it

no expression

Conventionally, they're going to stop at four.

Bentley
I can't figure how is it that you see them getting through 3...

Mindset
Kyle solos.

Parmaniac
Originally posted by Mindset
Kyle solos. thumb up even at Round 1

JakeTheBank
Originally posted by Bentley
I can't figure how is it that you see them getting through 3...

Because Surfer and especially Thor are safely beyond any one Green Lantern save Alan Scott. Mjolnir is a terrible foil to put up against a Power Ring.

Bentley
Ah, ok, you don't know the characters. That explains it thumb up

JakeTheBank

laughing

I know everyone involved in this match pretty well. And between Thor and Surfer, whose energy manipulation/output don't have set limitations on them nor have energy levels which can be dropped to next to nothing, the Lanterns are fighting an uphill battle.

Alan Scott is the only one who can comfortably fight Thor or Surfer one on one and walk away with a majority.

Bentley
I'm not exactly sure which energy manipulation feats are you selling, though I agree that energy absorption give Thor a good matchup against the GLs, but Surfer has not that kind of advantage. Any of these lanters can take some wins from Surfer -in the case of Kyle more than just "some"-, to think he can take on two is ludicrous.

Actually, I don't see Thor taking a majority against John and Guy at the same time.

JakeTheBank
I'm not exactly sure which energy manipulation feats are you selling, though I agree that energy absorption give Thor a good matchup against the GLs, but Surfer has not that kind of advantage. Any of these lanters can take some wins from Surfer -in the case of Kyle more than just "some"-, to think he can take on two is ludicrous.

Actually, I don't see Thor taking a majority against John and Guy at the same time.

Thor and Surfer are going to last longer in an extended fight than any of the Earth Lanterns, though. Between their stamina, durability, energy manipulation, etc, they simply operate on a higher level than Lanterns do and for longer barring amps/entities. Thor would get at least 6-7/10 against the best Lanterns due to his own advantages over GLs. And it would take two Lanterns to comfortably beat either Surfer or Thor in a manner to overcome the advantages they hold over them. Three isn't going to do it.

Alan Scott, of course, is an entirely different story.

Mindset
Ah, ok, you don't know the characters. That explains it thumb up laughing out loud

Simbon

Come on, Bentley, don't go all Philo on us.

Simbon
Originally posted by JakeTheBank
Thor and Surfer are going to last longer in an extended fight than any of the Earth Lanterns, though. Between their stamina, durability, energy manipulation, etc, they simply operate on a higher level than Lanterns do and for longer barring amps/entities. Thor would get at least 6-7/10 against the best Lanterns due to his own advantages over GLs. And it would take two Lanterns to comfortably beat either Surfer or Thor in a manner to overcome the advantages they hold over them. Three isn't going to do it.

This. Another thing is that Surfer is immune to most slashing or piercing damage, which many GL constructs are aimed at producing. He has healed himself almost instantaneously after being cut up into pieces, and when his fingers got sliced off in annihilators, he simply regenerating them without effort. Likewise, surprise attacks from surfer's board have repeatedly shown to be quite devastating, and helps balance out differences in numbers.

Bentley
Originally posted by JakeTheBank

Kyle can last long enough against either Thor and Surfer to have John and Guy finish the other one. Then it's three on one.

If this were individual matches maybe you'd need 4, but the Lanterns are much better team players and will get a lot of momentum after taking one of their opponents down.

Bentley
Originally posted by Simbon
This. Another thing is that Surfer is immune to most slashing or piercing damage, which many GL constructs are aimed at producing. He has healed himself almost instantaneously after being cut up into pieces, and when his fingers got sliced off in annihilators, he simply regenerating them without effort. Likewise, surprise attacks from surfer's board have repeatedly shown to be quite devastating, and helps balance out differences in numbers.

Citing the Annihilators example, in which Surfer had to back down because being cut actually hinder him isn't the best example to back up your argument.

JakeTheBank
Kyle can last long enough against either Thor and Surfer to have John and Guy finish the other one. Then it's three on one.

If this were individual matches maybe you'd need 4, but the Lanterns are much better team players and will get a lot of momentum after taking one of their opponents down.

John and Guy - god damn it - are going to be the first to fall here, though.

Hal and Kyle are good, great even, but against Thor and/or Surfer, it's a fight they'll ultimately lose. The teamwork angle is actually what stops them from being beaten soundly, but considering Thor and Surfer's ability to effect a large radius/scope (ie. multi planetary storms) they're more than equipped to deal with them.

Realistically, one of the Lanterns will fall before either Thor or Surfer does. Their very finite levels of power/energy doesn't help them in a match against two guys who can fight extended battles far longer than either of them can.

Parmaniac
Couldn't Thor and Surfer in theory drain the rings?

JakeTheBank
Originally posted by Parmaniac

Yes. Though there is evidence to point to Lanterns resisting energy drain for a time.

Bentley
You haven't really brought any reason to explain how the GLs are falling first, team 1 may have better stamina to stand a long term battle, but team 2 are going to be winning through sheer power and hard attacks without letting up. That's exactly the kind of battle in which area of effect and stamina won't mean squat. With their teamwork they may even replenish the rings.

I just don't see any advantage to team 1 under those conditions.

Simbon
Originally posted by Parmaniac

YES! Surfer Solos!!!

Whew, I don't know what came over me there. Guess I went Carver for a few seconds...

Simbon
Citing the Annihilators example, in which Surfer had to back down because being cut actually hinder him isn't the best example to back up your argument.

Surfer was merely surprised, not seriously injured; nor is this reason to ignore all of the other arguments made on behalf of the marvelites.

JakeTheBank
You haven't really brought any reason to explain how the GLs are falling first, team 1 may have better stamina to stand a long term battle, but team 2 are going to be winning through sheer power and hard attacks without letting up. That's exactly the kind of battle in which area of effect and stamina won't mean squat. With their teamwork they may even replenish the rings.

I just don't see any advantage to team 1 under those conditions.

Because every attack, every construct, every significant action taken with the power ring drops the ring's charge by that much. And that is a terrible disadvantage to go in a fight with when dealing with Thor and Surfer. Their sheer power and hard attacks aren't on the same level as Thor and Surfer's, and worse, those attacks and constructs and beams are going to be blocked, absorbed, or redirected back at the Lanterns and potentially with more power than they had originally.

If they attempt to summon their power batteries from pocket dimensions to recharge, then they're going to be left open for attack.

Even if the Lanterns hit Thor and Surfer, their natural durability and damage soak is going to ensure they're going to stay around for some time barring something like a "Krona Buster". Conversely, the Lanterns can't afford to be struck often with Mjolnir, the Surfboard, or Power Cosmic attacks.

Bentley
You seem to think their attacks aren't on their level, but I'm not sure what makes you say so. Also, while Thor's physical power would be good against their shields, the lanterns are excellent against energy attacks, so Surfer doesn't have any offensive edge.

I don't think Surfer would absorb their attacks either, frankly Norrid isn't very special against the Lantern in any way that matters.

Surfer was merely surprised, not seriously injured; nor is this reason to ignore all of the other arguments made on behalf of the marvelites.

Which arguments? Saying they're weaker when Hal easily stomped Shaggy Man, saying they have no stamina when it doesn't matter thanks to their other advantages. Frankly, I don't see why two top heralds would have any drastic advantage against three top lanterns, the power level doesn't add up imo.

JakeTheBank
You seem to think their attacks aren't on their level, but I'm not sure what makes you say so. Also, while Thor's physical power would be good against their shields, the lanterns are excellent against energy attacks, so Surfer doesn't have any offensive edge.

I don't think Surfer would absorb their attacks either, frankly Norrid isn't very special against the Lantern in any way that matters.

Which arguments? Saying they're weaker when Hal easily stomped Shaggy Man, saying they have no stamina when it doesn't matter thanks to their other advantages. Frankly, I don't see why two top heralds would have any drastic advantage against three top lanterns, the power level doesn't add up imo.

Because both Thor and Surfer operate on higher levels of offensive firepower as well as in larger areas of scope. Their defenses, which is comprised of energy, isn't anything to brag about when you look at Thor's energy absorption as well as how bricks are shown capable of shattering their defenses more often than not. I'd take Surfer's cosmic blasts or Thor's hammer toss/lightning over a GL energy beam every time under normal circumstances.

Norrin's just about infinitely more versatile than Lanterns nowadays who are regulated to beams and constructs, so yeah, I'd say he's > than any one Lantern.

zopzop
It would be a long, bloody, tough battle but they clear it. Mjlonir and Surfer's PC are too versatile for the Lanterns and unlike the Lanterns' power rings, they never need recharging.

Team Marvel's physical stats are also beastly (in terms of raw strength, stamina, durability) vs beings that are basically human level.

The only thing that saves the Lanterns from being steamrolled is their sheer numbers, but they eventually lose.

JakeTheBank
They're not going to beat Alan Scott, though.

Bentley
Originally posted by zopzop
It would be a long, bloody, tough battle but they clear it. Mjlonir and Surfer's PC are too versatile for the Lanterns and unlike the Lanterns' power rings, they never need recharging.

Team Marvel's physical stats are also beastly (in terms of raw strength, stamina, durability) vs beings that are basically human level.

The only thing that saves the Lanterns from being steamrolled is their sheer numbers, but they eventually lose.

And here I was saying Jake was the one who didn't know the characters ermm

JakeTheBank

I resent that, you know. uhuh

Thor and Surfer definitely do not clear this.

zopzop

Says the guy that betrayed Kang for Captain Cold! sick

Gecko4lif
Think they could get to 3-4

Simbon
Says the guy that betrayed Kang for Captain Cold! sick

It's like Bentley's trying to reinvent himself after everyone made fun of him for liking Kang. You should have stayed strong, Bentley. Kang is the greatest.

ares834
It would be a long, bloody, tough battle but they clear it.

facepalm

Without rest they stop dead at 3.

With rest they lose at 3 or 4.

zopzop
It's like Bentley's trying to reinvent himself after everyone made fun of him for liking Kang. You should have stayed strong, Bentley. Kang is the greatest.

Yeah but it's like dumping Pamela Anderson at her prime for a 5 dollar hoe from 42nd St. You just don't do that if you sane.

zopzop
Originally posted by ares834
facepalm

Without rest they stop dead at 3.

With rest they lose at 3 or 4.

rip that's what's gonna happen to the Lanterns.

Brockalizer
YES! Surfer Solos!!!

thumb up

Zack Fair
Clears it

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_07VoZXfojo4/SVv2Cq9l0gI/AAAAAAAAA9Y/00WREBg7PT0/s400/rock+bottom.gif

carver9
Stops at 4 but could potentially pass that as well. Thor is the main issue.

Rage.Of.Olympus
I see them stopping at either 3 or 4. Mainly because of Kyle picking up the slack of the others.

Bentley
Coming from a solid Thor fan as Rage his opinion is something I can respect. Jake also likes Thor if I recall correctly. Zop is crazy. Simbon is the one I don't get at all.

Also, I'm still Kang's number one fan here, I only started wearing the Cold insignia because someone made fun of me for making Captain Cold threads. I'm unrepentant when backing my characters. ahah

carver9
Don't let Rage fool you. He is a Superman fan.

Zack Fair
And?

carver9
Originally posted by Zack Fair
And?

Nothing wrong with it.

DickBlazer
Done at 5 for reasons already listed

Bentley
Originally posted by DickBlazer
Done at 5 for reasons already listed

Now, that's nonesense. Kyle and Hal split against Surfer.

Zack Fair
Originally posted by carver9
Nothing wrong with it.

uhuh...oh

thumb up biscuits

Simbon
Simbon is the one I don't get at all.

"Where wast thou when I laid the foundations of the earth?"

Seriously though, I was only defending Jake's stance that Thor and Surfer could get past 3 (though certainly not 10/10). You've emphasized teamwork, but I would emphasize the inverse-ninja rule.

Also, I'm still Kang's number one fan here, I only started wearing the Cold insignia because someone made fun of me for making Captain Cold threads. I'm unrepentant when backing my characters. ahah

I was just teasing (and I think Zopzop was too, but like you said, he is crazy)

Bentley
I'm going ahead and say that inverse ninja rule is actually not valid when discussing battles, not because I think you mentioned it seriously, but because some other poster actually does.

Team work in the other hand, exists in the comicbook world, and as far as I know, Thor and Surfer suck at team work.

zopzop
I was just teasing (and I think Zopzop was too, but like you said, he is crazy)

I wasn't teasing devil. But yes, I am crazy Happy Dance

Cogito
...vs beings that are basically human level.

You serious?

Brockalizer
Now correct me if I'm wrong but Silver Surfer has past experience with the Green Lanterns doesn't he? And his power cosmic allows for matter and energy manipulation as well as cosmic awareness, right? So why wouldn't he drain the power rings of the weaker lanterns and smash the stronger lanterns with a big wooden Louisville Slugger? ...Just sayin.

Omega Vision
Originally posted by Brockalizer
Now correct me if I'm wrong but Silver Surfer has past experience with the Green Lanterns doesn't he? You're wrong.

There. Corrected.

Cogito
Crossovers generally aren't valid here

ares834
Originally posted by Omega Vision
You're wrong.

There. Corrected.

laughing out loud

zopzop
Originally posted by Cogito

You serious?

What part of that is wrong?

Cogito
The part that I quoted, duh.

Omega Vision
Lol is Zopzop seriously acting like GLs have human level durability or something?

zopzop
The part that I quoted, duh.
When the rings run out of power and need recharging, the GLs have greater than human level stats? Scans?
Lol is Zopzop seriously acting like GLs have human level durability or something?
LOL Omega Vision can't comprehend what he's reading. roll eyes (sarcastic)

Diesldude
Sufer and Thor are too busy throwing the hammer and board at eachother. GUY solos. Otherwise, they stop at 3

vansonbee
Lol is Zopzop seriously acting like GLs have human level durability or something? No, he using it as analogy, me thinks.

Omega Vision
When the rings run out of power and need recharging, the GLs have greater than human level stats? Scans?

LOL Omega Vision can't comprehend what he's reading. roll eyes (sarcastic)
What part didn't I comprehend?

The part where you act like Green Lanterns can't hang with people with physical stats on Thor's level just because without their rings they're human level? no expression

No, he using it as analogy, me thinks.
What is he analogizing?

zopzop
What part didn't I comprehend?

The part where you act like Green Lanterns can't hang with people with physical stats on Thor's level just because without their rings they're human level? no expression

So GLs with rings that have run out of power have superhuman stats? Scans?

Omega Vision
So GLs with rings that have run out of power have superhuman stats? Scans?
They don't start off drained, and its not as if they're easy to drain.

I don't think anyone is arguing that Hal Jordan et all will be able to challenge Thor and Surfer if their rings are drained.

I just don't think it will be nearly as easy as some people make it out to be.

zopzop
They don't start off drained, and its not as if they're easy to drain.

I don't think anyone is arguing that Hal Jordan et all will be able to challenge Thor and Surfer if their rings are drained.

I just don't think it will be nearly as easy as some people make it out to be.

I never said they would start out drained. Thor and Surfer would tax those rings to the limit. Once they start running out of power, then what? You have squishies at the mercy of Cl100 beings. Mjolnir and the Power Cosmic never need recharging and can't be drained (just look and see what happened when Quasar tried to drain the Surfer).

Cogito
Realistically, GL rings don't really run out of juice in the middle of fights. And no, I don't think they'll be drained either.

zopzop
Realistically, GL rings don't really run out of juice in the middle of fights. And no, I don't think they'll be drained either.

In the JLA/vengers Crossover which is canon to DC, Monica drained Kyle's ring dry. If she can, Surfer can (even easier).

Cogito
and GLs have energy draining feats as well, who's to say they can't drain the Power Cosmic from Surfer?

It gets too murky. And crossovers still aren't valid on these boards, as far as I know, even if they may or may not be canon to DC.

zopzop
and GLs have energy draining feats as well, who's to say they can't drain the Power Cosmic from Surfer?

It gets too murky. And crossovers still aren't valid on these boards, as far as I know, even if they may or may not be canon to DC.

Quasar tried draining Surfer and failed badly (I consider the Quantum Bands >>>>>>>>>>>GL ring in terms of energy manipulation).

The JLA/vengers was indeed canon to DC. The cosmic egg Krona collapsed into turned up in DC stories following that crossover.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JLA/Avengers

Bentley
Nah Zop, you're just a hater, GL rings don't run out of juice fast enough stick out tongue

DarkestSonata
Really? Surfer and Thor crush the GLs.

Surfer has been shown to have planet busting energy attacks and can travel faster than the speed of light. Plus he can absorb energy. Not to mention being able to go back in time and crush all of the GLs as little babies.

Thor can simply drain the rings. He has been shown on multiple occasions to be able to drain energy or cut people off from their power sources, i.e. he drained the hulk of his gamma radiation, cut off jugernaut from the power of cytorak, and cut off the wrecking crew from the wrecker.

Take your pick as to how Surfer and Thor crush the GLs, but there is nothing stoping them from crushing each round of this. My bet is on planet busting energy (GLs shields have been seen to crumble from a punch from Black Atom and other powerhouses which are nowhere even close to planet busting) or time travel.

Bentley
Some people get ballsy by citing Surfer time-travel feats and ignoring the Lanterns best. Whoever considers they get past Allan in kidding himself anyways.

DARTH POWER
Originally posted by DarkestSonata

Surfer has been shown to have planet busting energy attacks and can travel faster than the speed of light. Plus he can absorb energy.

So can GL's..

Not to mention being able to go back in time and crush all of the GLs as little babies.

Bit of a cheap shot. So does Surfer win against anyone who does not time travel??

(GLs shields have been seen to crumble from a punch from Black Atom and other powerhouses which are nowhere even close to planet busting) or time travel.

And other times they've held up against the likes of Supes, contained Supernovas, and even a Big Bang!! Theres no need to lowball.

Brockalizer
Some people get ballsy by citing Surfer time-travel feats and ignoring the Lanterns best. Whoever considers they get past Allan in kidding himself anyways. Allan may be powerful but he is still has the same weaknesses as any Lanterns, mainly wood and organic material. Thor would easily destroy any constructs just using the butt of the handle on his hammer. Surfer would just have to blast them and their constructs with massive amounts of yellow energy or create a big wooden fort with big wooden walls and the lanterns wouldn't be able to do anything about it. Lantern rings have been drained in the past and they can be drained again.

Bentley
Lantern rings have resisted draining too, who is to say these two are enough to drain them without the user resisting?

Also, the top lanterns are absolutely above the yellow impurity. Any comment regarding mjolnir's wood will be throughly ignored out of respect to the poster who surely was jesting.

JakeTheBank
Originally posted by Brockalizer
Allan may be powerful but he is still has the same weaknesses as any Lanterns, mainly wood and organic material. Thor would easily destroy any constructs just using the butt of the handle on his hammer. Surfer would just have to blast them and their constructs with massive amounts of yellow energy or create a big wooden fort with big wooden walls and the lanterns wouldn't be able to do anything about it. Lantern rings have been drained in the past and they can be drained again.

Firstly, the yellow impurity has been overcome by Lanterns.

Secondly, Alan's wood weakness/inability to properly effect plant/organic material no longer applies at his current levels.

Alan's the most powerful person in this match.

Rage.Of.Olympus
Energy absorption should be more effective against Green Lanterns now than before from what I've read.

JakeTheBank
Personally, I don't see Thor or Surfer draining the rings directly, but I do see them absorbing the energy produced from the rings blasts and the like, which effectively would begin whittling away at their charge.

nimbus006
I agree with everything Jake has said in this thread.

Surfer and Thor get passed 3 with some issues, and lose large majority at 4.

abhilegend
Bump

"Id"
They stop at 3.

Philosophía
Current stop at 2.

Classic at 3.

panthergod
Marvel fantards are hilarious with their blatant and purposeful lies, eh?

StiltmanFTW
Originally posted by panthergod
Marvel fantards are hilarious with their blatant and purposeful lies, eh?

Shut up, boy.

carver9
Stops at 4.

Alan solos if they managed to get to 5.

panthergod
Originally posted by StiltmanFTW
Shut up, boy.

Make me, cuck.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.