Old games getting HD re-releases: Good or bad?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Impediment
It's blatantly obvious that a lot of old games are getting HD makeovers for current gen systems. Along with these HD facelifts, these games are also getting trophies and accomplishments for those gamers out there, like me, who are slaves to the challenge of a trophy.

The question at large, however is this:

Do these games really need to be re-released in HD?

To me, some games, not all games, truly deserve a nice HD touch up. Games like Shadow of the Colossus, God of War, and Ico are pretty good candidates, if you ask me.

Some packages even include dual games on one disc like the God of War collection (I and II) and Shadow of the Colossus & Ico, both for PS3, reasonably priced at less than $40.

The downside to this, unfortunately, is that this will, most likely, initiate a fad of giving HD re-releases to veritable slews of games that might not even deserve it.

It's like Blu-ray movies, in my opinion. Some movies can only be cleaned up so much to be released onto a Blu-ray disc, and it can only look so polished. I actually own "Poltergeist" on Blu-ray, because it was a gift, and to be honest the film doesn't look very much different at all from the DVD I used to own.

What are your opinions, people? Is there going to be an HD fad for vintage video games? Is this a good or bad thing?

Share your thoughts!

Ushgarak
Do the 3DS remakes get included here?

Impediment
I don't see why not. However, I'm not a hand held gamer and I don't know much about 3DS titles. Are they actual remakes are are they HD facelifts with 3D?

Ushgarak
For the most part, graphical facelifts onto the handheld with 3d.

So I feel kinda burned with Ocarina of Tme, because for all the hype it really was just OoT again. And the silly thing is that I KNEW that and I got it anyway and I was just as 'meh' about it as I thought I would be. It's still a good game, of course, but it is a rather old game and better graphics don't warrant a full price release in my opinion.

And now I am almost certainly going to burn myself again with Starfox 64 3D and before too long I have to ponder if it's the same once more with Monster Hunter 3G, though I hear a touch more will be added to that.

Impediment
I agree that games like the ones we're discussing certainly don't need to be full priced, what with them being re-releases.

Personally, I think that Ocarina of Time (3DS) is a perfect example for games that shouldn't be re-released. The game itself is timeless and doesn't need 3D enhancements. However, the almighty dollar would argue that point. Not there is anything wrong with making money, I just feel that consideration should be taken when choosing games to be redone.

Digi
Thank god I don't give a **** about achievements and trophies. That seems to be where games are headed these days, regardless of platform or genre.

Starfox 64, Ush? Huh. A good rental for its time, I thought. Not much else.

-Pr-
I think when it's done well, it's great, so in general I'm a fan of HD remakes. Plus. I get access to games I might not have had access to otherwise.

I know there are always going to be games I don't want, but that's just life.

Zack Fair
Originally posted by -Pr-
I think when it's done well, it's great, so in general I'm a fan of HD remakes. Plus. I get access to games I might not have had access to otherwise.

I know there are always going to be games I don't want, but that's just life.

thumb up

BackFire
I think remaking games is a great thing. Games more than any other medium are prone to aging very very poorly. Go back and try and play a PS1 or even a PS2 game on your HD TV, it's pretty shocking how bad it looks. Facelifting games is nothing but a net plus I feel, as long as they don't screw up other aspects of the game in the process.

Ridley_Prime
Originally posted by Digi
Thank god I don't give a **** about achievements and trophies. That seems to be where games are headed these days, regardless of platform or genre.
In a way that's good (gives people more incentive to replay a game), but also has its downsides.

Digi
Originally posted by Ridley_Prime
In a way that's good (gives people more incentive to replay a game), but also has its downsides.

I can't see them as anything but meaningless. 98% of them, at least. Most don't contribute to the narrative, character, nor do they grant you anything useful or often even make much sense. They're just arbitrary ways to prolong games.

HD remakes are fine though. Always good to revisit classics.

Nephthys
I think it could be really good for when you have classic games that look like complete ass. But only if they actially work on improving the look of it instead of just slapping on the HD.

Demonic Phoenix
Originally posted by Impediment

Share your thoughts!

I'd really rather see only a handful of games, good classic ones at that, getting HD re-releases. Having a whole slew of them coming out is just pointless IMO, but hey, if they sell well, they'll continue this 'fad'.

The Splinter Cell Collection, and Team Ico Collection are ones that I'm definitely getting. All games were excellent, and I really do not have time to revisit them on the PS2. I think HD SotC is getting a touch up, as the frame-rate on the PS2 version was pretty horrible.

Okami, and the first three R&C Games are other games I'm hoping to see HD remakes of.

Originally posted by Ridley_Prime

I'd rather have NG+ or extra gameplay for replay value, as opposed to 'achievements' which really do not do anything at all.

Infamous 2 at least had certain aspects activated/changed if you had a certain trophy in Infamous. If they did stuff like that on a regular basis, then Trophies/Achievements would at least have some value.

Ridley_Prime
I'd rather have a lot of things than the trophy/achievement system as it currently is, so far be it from me to fully defend it, but I do give it some credit for including some of the fun/sensible acheevos/trophies they have in games out there. Not a fan of most of the ones like winning a certain number of matches or ranked matches or some crap though, but I do like the ones like for beating a game on the hardest difficulty, which gives a little more meaning for beating something on hard or expert now than it did back then (especially if you unlock other things in the process too), to show that you did it and all. If you're one of those people who rarely ever does a full playthrough of a game they get though, let alone on the hardest difficulty or find/collect every important item, then I can understand that too.

But on the main topic, when it comes to re-releases, there are some games I'd rather see at least some change to than having them exactly the way they were before with HD + online slapped on, but other than that, most of them are classics that have held up well even today and withstood the test of time, so they more or less deserve being re-released.

Impediment
I such a trophy whore. I have over 800 trophies and 3 platinums.

Smasandian
In the end, the product is made for people who want them. If you don't like the idea, don't buy it.

I like the idea. I never had a Playstation so having the ability to rent the God of War collection was great for me. Having them touched up in HD is an added bonus.

I'm not really interested in any remakes of games unless it is totally warranted (Deus Ex: Human Revolution).

But I've noticed games that were released after 2002 have aged much better so I don't see HD remakes being a huge thing in 5 years or so (unless they totally remake the game)

Impediment
Originally posted by BackFire
I think remaking games is a great thing. Games more than any other medium are prone to aging very very poorly. Go back and try and play a PS1 or even a PS2 game on your HD TV, it's pretty shocking how bad it looks. Facelifting games is nothing but a net plus I feel, as long as they don't screw up other aspects of the game in the process.

Before I bought my new 320 GB PS3, I used to have the 60 GB that was backwards compatible. Once, just for nostalgia's sake, I popped in the first Silent Hill game that debuted on PS1, and, yeah, it looked like balls.

Silent Hill, in my opinion, is one of those games that actually deserves a full remake.

Peach
I think it's a good idea. It's a good way to revisit old games that someone may not have anymore, nor be able to find a copy of more, doubled with the fact that the PS3 (which is where most of these HD remakes are) is no longer backwards compatible.

And hell, the FFX remake that was just announced finally swayed me into deciding I'll be buying a PS3. Even though I don't normally care much about graphics, that game was breath-takingly gorgeous when it came out, and still looks pretty good even though it's 10 years old. I'd love to see how it looks in HD. Plus it'd be nice to have it on a blu-ray disc, which is far more durable, instead of treating my PS2 copy like it's made of crystal because I know I'll never find a mint copy again.

S_D_J
I such a trophy whore. I have over 800 trophies and 3 platinums.

I'm a trophy whore as well. I mostly played games once though, even games that suck, but I tried to get as many trophies as I can on that single playthrough.

I'm currently level 10, 400+ trophies, only 2 platinums though big grin, what's your PSN ID?
mine's DaJay99

That being said, trophies are a huge incentive for me to buy these HD collections, but the deciding factor is whether I already played the game or not. As much as I love MGS, I don't think I would buy it if it wasn't for Peace Walker. SoTC is a great game, I want to experience it in HD, but ICO is the main reason I'll buy the disc.
I'm all up for this releases, I can catch up with my backlog and have pleasant experience in HD

I'm excited for FFX, but me buying it will depend on the price. It wouldn't hurt if FF X-2 wink or FF XII are included in there too, but it will be great if the remakes are the International Editions (FF X-2 feels like a different game, plus it has the challenge tower, which I couldn't fully appreciate because it was all in Japanese)

Morridini
I personally love the HD remakes, it's the only way I ever get to try older games that passed me by in the past. If not for the HD remake, I would never have been able to play God of War 1 & 2, Ico, Shadow of Colossus etc, all games I've always wanted to play (true, I could have played them if the PS3 had just had backwards compatibility built in)

Scythe
I'm a graphics whore, no matter how much I love some games, I can't get through them cuz of their graphics on my big ass 82" teevee. So I have no problem sellin' back classics to rebuy them anew. As long as they don't hike the price up of a new game, that's not cool, man.

Smasandian
I still rather have backwards compatibility on my consoles, especially the next generation of consoles because I find games that are being released now can still look very good 5-10 years from now.

After playing Half-Life 2, FEAR, Crysis and a few other "older" games, they still look fantastic.

cool_ghost
I enjoy re released games. Already said, some games are just hard as hell to come by now... having them re released just makes it more convenient, and graphics in hd??? thats a great bonus.

I wish they would re release all the ratchet and clanks from the ps2 on to the ps3 with better graphics and trophies... I love that series.

Zack Fair
Wish Square-Enix remade Xenogears, but that will never happen.

Barker
Originally posted by Scythe
I'm a graphics whore, no matter how much I love some games, I can't get through them cuz of their graphics on my big ass 82" teevee. So I have no problem sellin' back classics to rebuy them anew. As long as they don't hike the price up of a new game, that's not cool, man.
>2011
>having a TV bigger than you

ISHYGDDT

Scythe
Originally posted by Barker
>2011
>having a TV bigger than you

ISHYGDDT

Oh shi-!

Impediment
I hear that Devil May Cry is getting an HD makeover. Has anyone else heard of this? I mean, isn't the DMC series about to get a full reboot?

Personally, I want to see Grand Theft Auto III get an HD remake. GTA III is definitely a worthy candidate.

Nemesis X
I hear that Devil May Cry is getting an HD makeover. Has anyone else heard of this? I mean, isn't the DMC series about to get a full reboot?

Yeah. I even posted a thread about it:

http://www.killermovies.com/forums/f66/t557557.html

AsbestosFlaygon
Originally posted by Zack Fair
Wish Square-Enix remade Xenogears, but that will never happen.
One can only dream. *sigh*

I personally think HD remakes are OK.
However, prices should be half the selling price of current original games.
Since they are nothing more than re-hashed versions of old games with better graphics.

Another bonus of HD re-releases are games that were cult classics can be introduced to mainstream gamers.
I think they should make HD remakes of the MOTHER series with translation to English (even though I know it may never happen)

§P0oONY

Stoic
Some games would be great to be re-released, because they simply had better ideas or plots than many of the ones being pumped out today. I would love see see them remake, Morrowind, Final Fantasy 7 (No turn base crap, real time is the way to go), X-Com UFO defense, and several others. Oh and Road Rage 3 rock <--- Great game with great tunes.

§P0oONY
Originally posted by Stoic
Some games would be great to be re-released, because they simply had better ideas or plots than many of the ones being pumped out today. I would love see see them remake, Morrowind, Final Fantasy 7 (No turn base crap, real time is the way to go), X-Com UFO defense, and several others. Oh and Road Rage 3 rock <--- Great game with great tunes. Removing the turn base from FF7 would be mental. the ATB system is one of the reason's the FF series is great. (Even though the CTB from FFX was better.)

Also, you say, "No turn base crap, real time is the way to go"... then you say X-COM straight after. laughing

Impediment
The Gamecube remake of the first Resident Evil would look awesome as an HD re-release.

Stoic

MadMel
That is incorrect. turn based games are still around. stick out tongue
HOMM6 and Worms Re-loaded are good examples.

-Pr-
The Gamecube remake of the first Resident Evil would look awesome as an HD re-release.

Just released on more than the Wii.

Impediment
Originally posted by -Pr-
Just released on more than the Wii.

Definitely not on the Wii. It would sell much better on PS3/360. I know people who bought a Gamecube solely for playing the RE1 remake, and nothing else.

This game would look awesome as an HD release, complete with trophies. droolio

Zack Fair
Playing the remake of RE on a emu and the effin' game still looks awesome.

I have no problem with HD re-releases. Gives new gamers(kids mostly) the chance to experience these classics and see where things came from.

Kazenji

I have no problem with HD re-releases. Gives new gamers(kids mostly) the chance to experience these classics and see where things came from.

And also if you happened to miss them the first time around

like recently i got that Ico/Shadow Of The Colossus pack for the PS3....missed Ico on the PS2 after all the bullshit they pulled.

Zack Fair
Originally posted by Kazenji
And also if you happened to miss them the first time around

like recently i got that Ico/Shadow Of The Colossus pack for the PS3....missed Ico on the PS2 after all the bullshit they pulled. thumb up

Exactly. I think it is win win.

Smasandian
I don't either. Got to play God Of War 1 and 2 because of it.

ArtificialGlory
Playing the remake of RE on a emu and the effin' game still looks awesome.

I concur.

BlackZero30x
I like the Idea to re-release games in these HD "bundles". I like that they add the Trophies/Achievements also! If they are going to bring them out like this then yeah I think they should update the graphics as much as possible....I mean why not a little is better then not at all lol

Ridley_Prime
I don't think all re-releases of old games (like arcade ones) should have trophies/achievements, especially if they're as stupid to get as like Marvel vs Capcom 2's or something. That's something I'm hoping the next gen does less of, much as I like being a completionist and all. Maybe even have a status option for trophies/achievements to be turned off so that you or no one else can see them on said gamer's profile.

Smasandian
I'm pretty every game released on XBOX 360 has to have achievements.

I'm not sure about the PS3.

FistOfThe North
I think it's a good idea to HD classics. If you don't like it, don't play it, and you still have the old one to play, so. That's how I see it.

Ridley_Prime
Originally posted by Smasandian

I'm not sure about the PS3.
Indy games on the 360 don't have achievements.

Smasandian
Well, the point is moot because a HD collection is not considered a Indie game.

But I still think games that are not Indie games are required to have Achievements.

Kazenji
Originally posted by Smasandian

I'm not sure about the PS3..

When the PS3 first came it, seems most of the games didn't have them compare to the 360 where it had them from day 1

i think the PS3 didn't get them until after Jan 09. Alot of the games such as Uncharted 1 & 2, Metal Gear Solid 4, Resistance 2 and many more can download patches for them which enable the trophies.

Smasandian
Yeah, I know trophies came later in the PS3 cycle. At least of few years.

But I'm not sure if PS3 requires each game to have trophies like the 360 does with Achievements.

-Pr-
I don't really care about achievements, personally. If they're there, I'll try to get them obviously (like in say, the Arkham games), but if they release Onimusha or something in HD, the possible achievements will be last on any list of priorities.

Impediment
I love earning trophies.

This sound is music to my ears:

ytcj90Ebvk8

However, when the task of earning a trophy becomes a tireless chore and not fun, then I just blow it off. I have a few platinum trophies, but I'm not going to get gray hairs from the stress of trying to earn as many as I can.

What pisses me off the most are games that require you to earn trophies during online multiplayer like the Modern Warfare games. Hackers and cheaters make the task of earning MP trophies next to impossible.

Also, when the game is just too goddamn hard at a certain point, I just give up. Take Dead Space 2, for example; I have EVERY trophy, save for two: the gold trophy for finishing the game on Hard Core mode, and the platinum for earning every trophy. Hard Core mode on DS2 is INSANELY hard and I just don't have the patience or the sanity to complete it.

Ridley_Prime
The difficulty-based trophies/achievements I don't mind, as I'm always up for a challenge, but the ones that don't take much skill in comparison and just require playing a whole damn lot that often lead to grinding/boosting, is what I'm hoping to see a lot less of in the future, like next gen (hate when re-releases of old games have those kind of acheevos). Same with the collectathon ones, as many just youtube for those anyway.

Kazenji

What pisses me off the most are games that require you to earn trophies during online multiplayer like the Modern Warfare games. Hackers and cheaters make the task of earning MP trophies next tio impossible.

Same here

absolutely hate multiplayer related achievements/Trophies even worst when no one is playing the game anymore.

-Pr-
The worst multiplayer "achievement" to me, was the whole Mass Effect 3 thing, where Multiplayer contributed to your readiness. Yeah, **** that.

Nephthys
I wonder if I tried to replay that game in 5 years, would there be anyone there to play it with me?

Ridley_Prime
Probably. You'd be surprised how many tend to play games online that are that old. It varies though.

Smasandian
People still play CS 1.6, its currently the 5th most played in Steam.

Crazy enough, CS Source and CS Global Operations is 8th and 9th most played in Steam.

Berikx
I think it is a bad idea as it is with movies. The companies should concentrate on developing new stuff.

Bardock42
Can't wait for AoE....CAN'T WAIT!!!

Wouldn't have to wait if I got a Windows PC, but **** that shit.

Cyner
If you guys are interested, Another World(Out of this World) was released on Steam recently. It's an old favorite of mine so I picked it up asap.

Kazenji
Pffft

i've had that game for a while on GOG, 15th and 20th anniversary edition.

Impediment

ITGNvv6r7G8

This is gonna be so awesome! I haven't played this in years, and now it's gonna be even sweeter!

Zack Fair
Dolphin let me played it in HD before it was mainstream 131

Estacado
I want Soul Reaver 1,2 and Defiance to be hd.
That would be sweet!

Bentley
I want a HD release of Gameboy Tetris.

Kazenji
ITGNvv6r7G8

This is gonna be so awesome! I haven't played this in years, and now it's gonna be even sweeter!

Be even better if they also released on a disc.

Reflassshh
Be even better if they also released on a disc. They will... only for japan.

Kazenji
****ers...

AsbestosFlaygon
HD remakes are always a good thing.

I want a HD remake of Clock Tower.

Nemesis X
Originally posted by AsbestosFlaygon
HD remakes are always a good thing.

No. Not always.

Kazenji
thumb up

Especially when that's the only thing that's getting released

It was okay last gen when only a couple of them got released.

Stoic
Originally posted by Nemesis X
No. Not always.

Exactly, it's a good thing and a bad thing. The bad thing happens when they try and revamp an old crappy title like Bionic Commando. You can dress shit up all you want but it will still be shit. There are a lot of great titles that if done correctly would turn out to be hits, like Fallout 3 was. I would love to see them do for Arcanum what they did for Fallout 3. That was an awesome PC game.

Bentley
Sometimes I feel HD rereleases are a strategy to build up hate against companies that won't rerelease their beloved franchises.

"So why can't you revamp Chrono Cross Square-Enix? You afraid it won't sell?"

Stoic
Originally posted by Bentley
Sometimes I feel HD rereleases are a strategy to build up hate against companies that won't rerelease their beloved franchises.

"So why can't you revamp Chrono Cross Square-Enix? You afraid it won't sell?"

Too much work, they'd rather make loads by making people believe that they're getting something great, and then they go and release 3 failures back to back. People seem to fall for Final Fantasy because it has history. I pretty much refuse to play Final until they come up with something like FF 7, or FF 10. Square should drop Enix, and team up with Bethesda.

Bentley
Enix > Square. At least Square post-Chrono team.

When FFXV flops every Square will release mobile games forever thumb up

Kazenji
Originally posted by Bentley

When FFXV flops every Square will release mobile games forever thumb up

erm

No thanks....

Capcom's already screw up Breath of Fire going down that route.

Zack Fair
Master Chief Collection woot

Bentley
erm

No thanks....

Capcom's already screw up Breath of Fire going down that route.

Lowblow, I actually cared for Breath of Fire :'(

Impediment
Resident Evil Zero is getting an HD remaster next year.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.