Resident Evil 4 HD

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Bluesteel
Hey guys, so Resident Evil 4 HD is available here on PSN store EU, and I am really inclined to buy considering all the good reviews it has gotten over time. Too bad I never got around to play it, but now is my chance.

What I wanted to ask you guys, who have played the original RE4 is, is it nessecery for me to have played the previous RE games (1,2 & 3) before I start RE4? Or is the story stand alone so to speak?

FinalAnswer
No, it is not. While playing the earlier games will have you more familiar with the universe, there are generally only a few references to the earlier games, mostly RE2, since you play as Leon.

Impediment
RE4 is the crown jewel of the Resident Evil series, and it's very confined. By confined, I mean it's a game that is very self contained that doesn't require the player to know the entire RE history.

I much prefer the Gamecube version since the graphics are at their pinnacle as opposed to the PS2 and Wii versions.

Nemesis X
It's tempting but I think I'll pass on this. I'm not sure I wanna waste my 1600 MS points on it and besides, I already have the game on my Wii. Think I'll wait for Code Veronica next week instead.

S_D_J
Originally posted by Impediment
RE4 is the crown jewel of the Resident Evil series, and it's very confined. By confined, I mean it's a game that is very self contained that doesn't require the player to know the entire RE history.

I much prefer the Gamecube version since the graphics are at their pinnacle as opposed to the PS2 and Wii versions.

this "HD" it's just upscaled GC graphics, not truly HD, but it is the GC version plus the PS2 extras

Arachnid1
After years of waiting, the true RE4 HD remake is going to release in two weeks. This team has been working on it since 2014 and I've been following this almost since the beginning. I was going to start my newest playthrough of this game today but I'll wait the two weeks before I start it over. I've 100%ed it on every system it's ever been released on but got burned out when current gen came out. I only have Xbox One (PS3/4 too though I don't think I'll do it on those since it's no different than on the 1) and PC left. Man, I'm stoked. The "HD" remake on current consoles was downright pathetic.

yUcd2DDykOM

CroftAlice
I have the game on my xbox one,playing it a while,but I deleted after a few hours

The controls are a mess

Kazenji
Or you simply suck at playing the game?

CroftAlice
No,i'm not

Arachnid1
Originally posted by Kazenji
Or you simply suck at playing the game? thumb up

Impediment
The controls are fluid.

Practice makes perfect.

Adam Grimes
Originally posted by CroftAlice
No,i'm not Yes, you do

cdtm
Game controls are fine.

Worth playing through for Mercenaries alone.

Kazenji
Kids these days, They give up on games too quickly if they find it "Hard".

Impediment

cdtm
Bionic Commando Rearmed is pretty damned hard, on hard.

Five shots to kill ONE mook, as streams of bullets come at you and enemies spawn infinitely. Original game was a cakewalk by comparison.

Adam Grimes

-Pr-
I don't like the RE4 controls, personally. I don't think they're hard, mind you, just clunky.

Nemesis X
I still believe the Wii to be my most preferred platform to play RE4 on. The motion controls with this game are a match made in Bio-Heaven.

Also, Ashley is still the best partner in a RE game to this very day. Why Capcom couldn't duplicate her AI and her actions for other companion characters that came after, I'll never know but it gives her that form of uniqueness.

XnZP_0bBI5k
Posted it 'cause why not.

cdtm
Originally posted by -Pr-
I don't like the RE4 controls, personally. I don't think they're hard, mind you, just clunky.

Very. Every time I pick it back up for a few rounds of Mercenaries after a long break, there's a learning curve where the hoards massacre me at first.

BackFire
Yeah the controls for RE4 have not aged well. It was still from a time when survival horror games were trying to artificially enhance the tension/difficulty by making the control scheme overly cumbersome.

-Pr-
Originally posted by cdtm
Very. Every time I pick it back up for a few rounds of Mercenaries after a long break, there's a learning curve where the hoards massacre me at first.

Originally posted by BackFire
Yeah the controls for RE4 have not aged well. It was still from a time when survival horror games were trying to artificially enhance the tension/difficulty by making the control scheme overly cumbersome.

Yeah. And the thing is, RE 1-3 I can sit and enjoy no problem even with the tank controls, but these kind of controls in an over-the-shoulder setting just don't work for me. At least with 6 they made things a little better, iirc.

BackFire
In 6 they botched up the controls for taking cover so much it blew my mind. You had to hold down like 4 buttons to take cover, and this was in a time when Gears of War already existed and mastered the cover mechanic.

-Pr-
Well yeah, there was that. I was speaking more about just basic movement. Firing while moving was a big addition, even if other games had already included stuff like that.

Nemesis X
6 has that free flow I like where you can jump, roll, and shoot while lying on the ground scooting away from the enemy. That was pretty fun.

-Pr-
Yeah, that. You have way more freedom of movement than you did in 4 and 5.

Kazenji
Gave up on Resident Evil 6, Leon's campaign was enough for me.

Adam Grimes
6 has the best combat in the series.

Kazenji
It wasn't that great, But hey each to their own.

Arachnid1
Originally posted by Kazenji
It wasn't that great, But hey each to their own. Yeah I thought it was terrible. Yes it gave you more movement options but something about it felt really sloppy. RE4 and 5 at least always feel tight.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.